Type keyword(s) to search

Fixer Upper in the Media

JeanneH

You know, I would be annoyed if I were the Gaines'.  I know the "reality" in these HGTV shows is iffy at best, but I do believe that Chip and Joanna are actually doing a lot of the work shown.  Whether or not someone likes Joanna's aesthetic, she seems to put a lot of thought into the designs.   The shotgun house, for example.  I wouldn't care to live in it, but I think it's stunning.  And now the owners are putting their $28,000 house on the market for $950,000?  I think it would wear on me knowing that people turn so greedy.

Unless Chip and Joanna are actually phenomenal actors and do nothing on the houses and don't care about anybody, in which case, I take it all back!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Frost said:

You know, I would be annoyed if I were the Gaines'.  I know the "reality" in these HGTV shows is iffy at best, but I do believe that Chip and Joanna are actually doing a lot of the work shown.  Whether or not someone likes Joanna's aesthetic, she seems to put a lot of thought into the designs.   The shotgun house, for example.  I wouldn't care to live in it, but I think it's stunning.  And now the owners are putting their $28,000 house on the market for $950,000?  I think it would wear on me knowing that people turn so greedy.

Unless Chip and Joanna are actually phenomenal actors and do nothing on the houses and don't care about anybody, in which case, I take it all back!

so true, it would wear me down, that's for sure!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Frost said:

They're acting, although I don't think it's "phenomenal".  (It's debatable, lol.)  It's been publicly confirmed, at least several times in the past few years, that 5-10 person teams (including architects, designers, stagers, etc.) design approx 4 homes, simultaneously.  Subcontractors complete basically 100% of the construction.  So, it's no different than other renovation, reality television programs.  Chip and Jo represent the "talent", i.e. too valuable to actually perform the work.

Can't say that they "don't care" - I'm sure they become attached to each project, even though they're not involved on a daily basis.  Given their background, it must have (initially, at least) stung when show participants jumped on the AirBnb bandwagon.  Read a few excerpts, not the entire book, but my understanding is they admit technical bankruptcy, when the pilot was filmed.  Personally, I don't believe the RE transactions caused the show's termination.

Have a feeling we'll learn the real story when they begin their next project / show, shortly.

ETA:  The article referenced above includes listings, i.e. not closed sales.  Only checked a few, so far, but it appears buyers, currently anyway, aren't paying the FixUpp premium.  (For example, the shotgun house has been available, at that price, for quite some time.) Guess they believe the Gaines / FixUpp cachet will wear off.

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 3
On 1/28/2018 at 12:25 PM, Willowsmom said:

Like all reality fixer shows pros come in and do the work. Chip only does what's filmed. And it's absolutely none of Chip and Joanna's business what the owners do with their properties.

Haven't done the math for this show recently but considering that producing 1 hours requires at least 80 hours filming, dividing the # of shows filmed by # of episodes, there's no way Chip does (pretty much) anything. 

"Filming" means placing that single piece of window frame (or whatever) from every angle, i.e. the same piece, repetitively.  Can't do the work while filming it, ironically!

Should have saved the article but apparently one of the h/o families stayed with relatives next door to their FixUpp home during construction and noticed Chip was never around, lol!  

Agree, who cares what a new homeowner does with his/her property after the sale ???  That DIY woman - Nicole?  (Oops, lol)

Now if the buyers use the "Magnolia" name ... yeah, that's a problem.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, aguabella said:

Now if the buyers use the "Magnolia" name ... yeah, that's a problem.

As long as they're truthful it shouldn't be.    i.e. Joanne from Magnolia designed the house. or Chip from Magnolia supervised the remodel. Should be fine

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Willowsmom said:

As long as they're truthful it shouldn't be.    i.e. Joanne from Magnolia designed the house. or Chip from Magnolia supervised the remodel. Should be fine

???  Uh, Chip definitely doesn't supervise construction and the design team (apparently) includes 5-10 people with outside architects on some projects.  Chip and Joanna are employed as the "talent", i.e. actors.  As mentioned in my post and elsewhere on these threads, they don't have time to do much else.  

That's a trademark issue and not my area of expertise so if it were me, I'd definitely leave it up to my attorneys.

Not sure it matters if they're already on the official Waco Fixer Upper home tour, lol.

Edited by aguabella

What idiot would buy a one bedroom house in Waco, Tx for 950k?  Or that ugly ass barn for 1.2 million?  They may have added value, but not That much.  

if anyone says PattyBaker one more damn time....

• Love 10
On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 7:22 PM, Mu Shu said:

What idiot would buy a one bedroom house in Waco, Tx for 950k?  Or that ugly ass barn for 1.2 million?  They may have added value, but not That much.  

if anyone says PattyBaker one more damn time....

No idiot on those two properties, so far!  (They've been for sale from April and July, barn and tiny house, respectively, IIRC.)

One of the small ones, owned by the church couple, has been riding the market down, too.

Sounds like TX buyers are smart enough to realize when something's been over-improved for its neighborhood!

• Love 5
On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 1:49 PM, aguabella said:

Can't say that they "don't care" - I'm sure they become attached to each project, even though they're not involved on a daily basis.  Given their background, it must have (initially, at least) stung when show participants jumped on the AirBnb bandwagon.  

I think it more than "stung".  They basically released a statement that said they understood it but were going to makes the contracts stricter to prevent it so the show wasn't ruined of the audience.  It was comically transparent that they didn't want people making a dime off their brand.  I believe this was around the time their former partners were in the news claiming Chip dissolved the partnership as soon as he found out about HGTV without telling them and they were doing their own BnB on the show.

• Love 6
On 2/8/2018 at 8:18 PM, ParadoxLost said:

I think it more than "stung".  They basically released a statement that said they understood it but were going to makes the contracts stricter to prevent it so the show wasn't ruined of the audience.  It was comically transparent that they didn't want people making a dime off their brand.  I believe this was around the time their former partners were in the news claiming Chip dissolved the partnership as soon as he found out about HGTV without telling them and they were doing their own BnB on the show.

I don’t watch the show anymore but I came by to see if there was any new snark. Just booked a trip to Laurel, MS in large part to see the “Hometown” phenomenon and several of the Airbnb properties referred to their involvemenr with the  show.  I’m not staying at any of them, but AFAIK no complaints over there. The Gaines’ protests about the use of their company / show  name may reflect the relative “1st-world problems” of Waco, which i imagine is far more prosperous per capita than Laurel. In Laurel they’re grateful for any attention, perhaps??

• Love 4
14 hours ago, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

I don’t watch the show anymore but I came by to see if there was any new snark. Just booked a trip to Laurel, MS in large part to see the “Hometown” phenomenon and several of the Airbnb properties referred to their involvemenr with the  show.  I’m not staying at any of them, but AFAIK no complaints over there. The Gaines’ protests about the use of their company / show  name may reflect the relative “1st-world problems” of Waco, which i imagine is far more prosperous per capita than Laurel. In Laurel they’re grateful for any attention, perhaps??

My husband has family in Laurel, MS. It's a lovely little southern town and I hope you enjoy your visit there.

• Love 2
On 2/8/2018 at 6:18 PM, ParadoxLost said:

Oh, yes, I agree.  Chip's out to squeeze every dime ... and then some.  "Ruined of the audience" ???  Seriously?  That's what they said?  No - just, no.

Never heard how / if they changed their contracts but they did work more with family members and other related parties, retaining more control.

About the former partners, meant to post about them, earlier.  Many claim they wanted to profit from Chip and Jo's work on the show.  My understanding is that they only sued for their share of the "Magnolia" name / brand, valuing it at $1M.  Sounded reasonable, to me.  Apparently, they did receive something via a settlement.

• Love 3

I just watched the Shotgun House episode and it seemed strange from the get-go.  A young couple with no children, and three large dogs, decides to buy a tiny house with one bedroom and no storage?  They barely mentioned a bedroom closet.....for TWO people. Now, maybe they don't want children, but if she ends up pregnant, they've outgrown the house as soon as she pees on the stick.  THAT made me pause when watching the episode, in which I was thinking that the young couple wasn't too practical.  But, the fact that they turned it into an Air B&B so quickly, and are now looking to capitalize on it so soon, not to mention trying to make an $850,000 profit (they may have paid 30,000 for the lot, but didn't they budget at least $100,000 for the renovations?), just on the fact that it's a Chip and Joanna special that was featured on TV? Seems very intentional and sketchy on their part.  As if they set out to do this before they even decided which house to renovate. 

• Love 4

For those of you anxiously awaiting the news, Magnolia Table is now open for breakfast and lunch from 6am to 3pm. According to the article on Fox News, "The HGTV stars have said the restaurant emphasizes breakfast because Chip considers himself to be a 'breakfast connoisseur.'” ROFLOL!!! 

(edited)
1 hour ago, Willowsmom said:

With Fixer Upper ending how long can this last?

I wonder if they are simply going to go "behind the design" on fixer upper homes that have already aired. That would be relatively cheap to do by using outtakes from the old shows that have already aired with JoJo adding talking head commentary. As a "companion project" that's what it sounds like. If that's the case, HGTV is really cheaping out with this one.

I'd rather see a "where are they now" type show with the homeowners adding commentary and showing their own furniture in the houses.

Edited by CruiseDiva
edited for clarity
  • Love 6

Remember, they showed the pilot for this at least a year ago.  Maybe closer to 18 months.  I wouldn’t be surprised if this has been in the can for awhile and shot before the quitting “Fixer Upper” announcement.

• Love 1
On 2/14/2018 at 4:56 PM, ChicksDigScars said:

I just watched the Shotgun House episode and it seemed strange from the get-go.  A young couple with no children, and three large dogs, decides to buy a tiny house with one bedroom and no storage?  They barely mentioned a bedroom closet.....for TWO people. Now, maybe they don't want children, but if she ends up pregnant, they've outgrown the house as soon as she pees on the stick.  THAT made me pause when watching the episode, in which I was thinking that the young couple wasn't too practical.  But, the fact that they turned it into an Air B&B so quickly, and are now looking to capitalize on it so soon, not to mention trying to make an $850,000 profit (they may have paid 30,000 for the lot, but didn't they budget at least $100,000 for the renovations?), just on the fact that it's a Chip and Joanna special that was featured on TV? Seems very intentional and sketchy on their part.  As if they set out to do this before they even decided which house to renovate. 

But they also turned down a 3/2 which would have netted more rental/ sales profit unless the neighborhood was bad.  

(edited)
On 3/2/2018 at 12:12 PM, CruiseDiva said:

I wonder if they are simply going to go "behind the design" on fixer upper homes that have already aired. That would be relatively cheap to do by using outtakes from the old shows that have already aired with JoJo adding talking head commentary. As a "companion project" that's what it sounds like. If that's the case, HGTV is really cheaping out with this one.

I'd rather see a "where are they now" type show with the homeowners adding commentary and showing their own furniture in the houses.

You're correct, CruiseDiva, they mentioned months ago that the design series was filmed simultaneously with S5.  IIRC, they indicated that all S5 participants paid $$$ to have their entire homes done.  So, it's in the can, 100% and ChipJo are off to their other projects / network, etc.

Uh, don't know how interesting some of these homeowners would be.  Some I'd rather not see, again.  (Sorry, folks!)

Example:  the couple with the 400K reno?  The mom following her daughters to Baylor.  They were nice but ...  The ex-bachelor who runs the FixUpp van tour?  (No thanks, lol.)

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, aguabella said:

You're correct, CruiseDiva, they mentioned months ago that the design series was filmed simultaneously with S5.  IIRC, they indicated that all S5 participants paid $$$ to have their entire homes done.  So, it's in the can, 100% and ChipJo are off to their other projects / network, etc.

Uh, don't know how interesting some of these homeowners would be.  Some I'd rather not see, again.  (Sorry, folks!)

Example:  the couple with the 400K reno?  The mom following her daughters to Baylor.  They were nice but ...  The ex-bachelor who runs the FixUpp van tour?  (No thanks, lol.)

Now that I think about it, you're right.

I just watched an episode on my DVR with Chimp & JoJo looking back on previous seasons' episodes and she talked about her "eclectic" style. At that point, I deleted it. No way is her shabby chic decor eclectic. I don't think she even knows what that means.

Seeing the two of them bark at one another and jump out from behind doors to scare each other was pretty boring.

• Love 2

Oh they're finally leaving?  Good, can't stand either of them.  It's clear to me that she can't stand him.  She looks at him like he repulses her, and recoils from his touch.  I can't say that I blame her much.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Honey said:

Oh they're finally leaving?  Good, can't stand either of them.  It's clear to me that she can't stand him.  She looks at him like he repulses her, and recoils from his touch.  I can't say that I blame her much.

Considering she's currently pregnant, there must be some touching going on. ;-}

• Love 10
On 3/27/2018 at 10:07 AM, Honey said:

Really?  I got the impression that she was amused by him and thought his behavior was entertaining.   That's why I couldn't figure out what was wrong with her.  The time she interrupted a phone call with a client due to Chip creating havoc in the background......so inappropriate and bizarre.  Made me wonder what her problem is.   Plus, she seemed to condone that odd behavior.  It just wore me out. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Really?  I got the impression that she was amused by him and thought his behavior was entertaining.   That's why I couldn't figure out what was wrong with her. 

I think Jo treats Chimp like a naughty little boy and he just eats that up. She's his "mommy" figure.

• Love 2

I think Chip is cute and his antics are mostly funny. I could see that getting tiresome on the odd occasion, but for the most part it would make life more fun and enjoyable. They seem to balance each other out nicely. I'm sure some of it is played up for the cameras.

If I'm remembering correctly, Chip's wackiness popped out on occasion in the first season, but it was really amped up in the second. I have a feeling that was intentional, but they went too far in that direction. By the third season he toned it down and it was just enough after that. I like to laugh, and Chip makes me laugh. I like when Joanna goes along with his silliness. The scenes at the antique stores were always funny. 

• Love 7

I'm not really watching the show anymore, but I keep seeing a commercial, I assume for Magnolia Designs, featuring Jo at her perfect desk, "intently designing" away.  One thing on the desk is this little  square cookie on a plate.  For some reason, every time I see it, I crack up.  It's so pathetic looking.  And you know it's just for looks.  

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

They already have a new show - Joann's behind the scenes that's basically a clip show of the original. Maybe they'll show off her baby bump/snerk.

Oh right. Forgot about that. I never watch their show, but there is always so much in the news about them. Ugh. I thought people were speculating they would eventually air some kind of show on TLC, since all of the Duggars recently descended upon the Magnolia place. 

On 4/23/2018 at 5:49 PM, meep.meep said:

I'm not really watching the show anymore, but I keep seeing a commercial, I assume for Magnolia Designs, featuring Jo at her perfect desk, "intently designing" away.  One thing on the desk is this little  square cookie on a plate.  For some reason, every time I see it, I crack up.  It's so pathetic looking.  And you know it's just for looks.  

Oh my god that would piss me off to see that pathetically staged cookie.

word is that Chip is the brains and Jo is along for the ride.  It’s all an act with him being the businessman and her being somewhat vacuous.  Which is proven by her pretending to be some great designer, while a stupid fucking cookie, probably fake, adorns her desk. 

• Love 1
On 4/27/2018 at 3:44 PM, Mu Shu said:

Oh my god that would piss me off to see that pathetically staged cookie.

word is that Chip is the brains and Jo is along for the ride.  It’s all an act with him being the businessman and her being somewhat vacuous.  Which is proven by her pretending to be some great designer, while a stupid fucking cookie, probably fake, adorns her desk. 

When she went over her plans with their clients on the show, she always had some pastries or cookies out on the table on a cute platter or stand. A few times she told the clients to help themselves and occasionally they would. I admit I got a kick out of seeing what treats she had out each week.

• Love 3

So, the Gaines have left HGTV for Discovery. It sounds like it a half reality show & half decorating show. What I think is weird is that I always thought they didn’t want the kids involved in the show and were kind of told to do so. I seem to remember them on Today saying how the kids want to be kids and we don’t want them on the show but now.......

https://people.com/home/chip-joanna-gaines-tv-network-return-to-television/

At least these won't be the same old shows, over and over and over again. I haven't watched a Fixed Upper in ages but if one happens to be on, I can almost word for word say what they are saying. HGTV has really run them into the ground. This was a show I used to love and look forward to but since it is on almost daily, enough is enough!!!!!

• Love 1
On 11/10/2018 at 9:49 AM, ByaNose said:

So, the Gaines have left HGTV for Discovery. It sounds like it a half reality show & half decorating show. What I think is weird is that I always thought they didn’t want the kids involved in the show and were kind of told to do so. I seem to remember them on Today saying how the kids want to be kids and we don’t want them on the show but now.......

https://people.com/home/chip-joanna-gaines-tv-network-return-to-television/

I've come to the conclusion that they're full of crap.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, readheaded said:

I've come to the conclusion that they're full of crap.

Or they could have come to a decision before she knew she was pregnant with Crew.  Once they were done with HGTV and everything was all about baby, perhaps they had a change of heart. Not saying $$$$ doesn't have anything to do with it, but I wouldn't necessarily call them liars.

14 hours ago, MsTree said:

Or they could have come to a decision before she knew she was pregnant with Crew.  Once they were done with HGTV and everything was all about baby, perhaps they had a change of heart. Not saying $$$$ doesn't have anything to do with it, but I wouldn't necessarily call them liars.

I might buy that if they weren't all over the media since Crew was born.  

On 11/11/2018 at 4:30 PM, Oldernowiser said:

Anybody check out Joanna’s new book?

Amazon had it for presale at $40, which I couldn’t rationalize. By publishing date this week, they had it marked down to $23 and change, which I could, so...

Curious as to what others thought.

Their first book was free to download on Amazon Prime and Kindle Unlimited. Must not have been a big seller to end up there.