Type keyword(s) to search

Fixer Upper in the Media

JeanneH

Created as a place to discuss news stories, media releases, interviews and the like related to Fixer Upper, and hopefully make it easier to find these things instead of looking through the other threads.

25 minutes ago, jacourt said:

Is it true this is the last season?  Joanna is starting a cosmetics line?

Pretty sure that's Christina from Flip or Flop that has the makeup line.  I haven't seen that from Joanna, but I have from Christina.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, CruiseDiva said:

I saw a "sponsored link" on the Yahoo News page that claimed Joanna is leaving the show to concentrate on her skin care line because she's a "serial entrepreneur." 

That's gotta be "fake news", right? I saw the link and I was affraid to click it. LOL!!! I don't think it's true. Of course, what do I know. Happy Wednesday, Y'all!!!!

• Love 1

I'm watching reruns during the day today, and I saw the mid century modern that Chip and Joanna renovated for Jill and Josh Barrett.  It was upsetting to see that so much of the structure of the home that made it mid century modern was removed.  I think about the only thing that remained was the terrazzo floor.  Terrible renovation, it was a crime.

• Love 2
(edited)

I couldn't imagine having terrazzo flooring in my home. To each their own, but I don't want the same flooring that was in my school hallways.

That's what I don't like about a lot of these fixer-upper shows. They have these clients that are very specific about having a house with "character" and MCM seems to be the architecture/design era du jour, but then they do a total gut job that takes out a lot of the character they were so insistent upon. Or they make design choices that cover it up instead of highlighting it.

And I'm sorry, but gutting out an MCM home to turn it into farmhouse chic again stresses how C&J can't/don't work with what is there and available and need a blank slate in order to do anything.

Edited by Automne
  • Love 4

Thank you,  I so agree,  her designs are so one note.  What bugs me the most is that every time she redoes the kitchens, she removes the cabinetry and leaves a couple of rough looking shelves. Apparently, none of her clients need storage? 

• Love 4
On 4/9/2017 at 5:57 PM, Automne said:

I couldn't imagine having terrazzo flooring in my home. To each their own, but I don't want the same flooring that was in my school hallways.

That's what I don't like about a lot of these fixer-upper shows. They have these clients that are very specific about having a house with "character" and MCM seems to be the architecture/design era du jour, but then they do a total gut job that takes out a lot of the character they were so insistent upon. Or they make design choices that cover it up instead of highlighting it.

And I'm sorry, but gutting out an MCM home to turn it into farmhouse chic again stresses how C&J can't/don't work with what is there and available and need a blank slate in order to do anything.

I had Terazzo floors in every sketchy apartment I rented in Florida.  They were ugly, cold during the brief fall, sticky during the long summer, and anything you dropped would break.  Plus, you can't sit or lie on them because they're concrete and feel awful.   Older isn't always better.

• Love 4

So, Chip is being sued for a couple million, because he pressured his two business partners to sell their stock in the real estate company for $2500 each---two days before the HGtV show was announced. I read this on Daily Mail. Supposedly, Chip had been negotiating with HGTV for months, without the other two partners knowing. Chip did not want the partners to share in the jackpot that was coming Chip and Joanna's way. One of the partners has a not so nice (threatening) text from Chip--how the partners need to sell their stake in the company or else...

• Love 2

Obviously I don't know the actual details, but even if the 'worst' interpretation is true and Chip bought out the partners because the HGTV show was greenlighted, I'm not sure that's 100% sleazy.  It sounds like the real estate company wasn't doing well with the three of them and if HGTV was interested in the Chip & Joanna show, what actual contribution were these two guys going to make to the success of Fixer Upper?

For some reason, Pete Best immediately came to mind.  The Beatles dumped him and signed up Ringo Starr just before they signed their first big deal.  Would they have been as successful without Ringo?  We'll never know.  Although now I feel traitorous mentioning Fixer Upper and The Beatles in the same comment!

• Love 9

Agree Frost. As I said in the other thread I don't think HGTV was looking into a show with these 2 guys with Chip and Joanna but with just Chip and Joanna. I think that if the guys didn't want the buy out that Chip and Joanna would have still be fine and done the show as it was and used another name for their own company. As well as I doubt HGTV was giving them that much when it started and how would they know it would be a hit show that would end up with other Magnolia lines? Sorry but these guys are only coming out of the woodwork now because they are making the money they are now and some how think they should get a piece of it yet they weren't part of the equation for the show from how it sounds so it will be a hard sell IMO to prove they deserve some piece of the pie from the HGTV gig. Why didn't these guys come out of the woodwork when the show started and make these claims/file the lawsuit? I wouldn't be surprised if they were all advised by lawyers during that whole thing as well. IMO it smells fishy when all this time they were supposedly sitting on this and a supposed threatening text. As well as if the rolls were reversed you can't tell me those 2 guys wouldn't have done the same damn thing. 

• Love 11

Latest information on the lawsuit from the local paper. For those who don't want to read, Chip's tweet over the weekend that he didn't know about the lawsuit until it was filed is apparently inaccurate, as it was brought to his attention last July. Apparently the statue of limitations was about to run out, which prompted the filing (and presumably the end of negotiations that had been occurring). 

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/city_of_waco/lawyer-disputes-chip-gaines-social-media-post/article_15e04e4f-0f29-55b6-8e01-7563e7d00b77.html

• Love 2

WAIT!! This lawyer though is saying it was sent by email??? Who sends someone a lawsuit by email? Let alone it sounds like the lawyer for the guys was threatening them to pay up or end up with a lawsuit. Which if I got an email claiming some lawyer was sending it and was like that or had it as an attachment I wouldn't open it in this day and age with viruses sent as they are in scam emails. It would go to the spam box and delete. If one is threatened with a pay up or lawsuit what do they think will happen? I love how the one is saying how Chip is a friend still and he is happy for his success. Well if that was true he wouldn't be suing him to make a quick buck off him. They are pissed because they weren't asked to do the HGTV and cash in off the Gaines' success. On top of it the statue of limitations for filing was coming up now so they wanted until the last minute after seeing if they could just threaten them to give them whatever they wanted first. I hope they don't get a damn thing. 

• Love 13

Me too, Evil Queen, me too. It's just so damn fishy that they'd wait till the statue of limitations was about to run out before going public. If I'm reading this right, they'd been in negotiations for awhile? And now, suddenly, they want tens of millions and the Gaines' are the monsters?

Uh...no.

• Love 6

I'm of something of a divided mind on this. On one hand, it sure sounds like a hail mary kind of "nothing to lose" move. OTOH, having g listened to "The Magnolia Story" on a long drive, Chip sure talks a lot about what a gosh darn honorable guy he is. The old saw about "if you have to say you is, you ain't" ran thru my mind then, and as I read about this suit. 

New to posting, have been reading here for a couple years. Home Town and FU got me to sign up when years of RHONY couldn't!

• Love 8
(edited)

Chip and Joanna were doing some interview on television last night as I flipped through...believe it was some religious channel. I listened to Chip talk for three straight minutes and none of it made any sense. The problem is he thinks he's a whole lot funnier than he is. 

He should let Joanna do the talking.

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, Evil Queen said:

Now I'm surprised this hasn't been posted here. I saw this earlier today. 

https://magnoliamarket.com/our-restaurant-update/

Its a place that obviously means a lot and is a historic landmark so hopefully it turns out well. 

From the blog, "Magnolia Table will be serving breakfast, brunch & lunch, so in addition to Chip’s favorite breakfast items, you will also find his famous ham sandwich on the menu."

Chimp's FAMOUS ham sandwich... Seriously?

• Love 3

So now they've got a restaurant (that serves their "crafted jams and butters") in addition to the 500 other businesses they own. It seems to me they are really spreading themselves thin. Nobody can keep on top of everything with so many diverse types of businesses, they are going to run into a serious quality control problem eventually. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, GaT said:

they are going to run into a serious quality control problem eventually. 

Probably !  

I think at this point, when anything they touch turns gold, they're gonna touch everything they can to see what succeeds and what doesn't. 

But I do hope they're being as diligent as they can by Hiring good managers who know how to run the businesses. Doubtless the employment-seekers of Waco are delighted with the new earning opportunities, even be they minimum wage.  It'll be a blow to have to pull that out from under folks.  

• Love 2
22 hours ago, GaT said:

So now they've got a restaurant (that serves their "crafted jams and butters") in addition to the 500 other businesses they own. It seems to me they are really spreading themselves thin. Nobody can keep on top of everything with so many diverse types of businesses, they are going to run into a serious quality control problem eventually. 

Maybe, maybe not. There are plenty in this world that run a ton of different kinds of business and do just fine. It will all come down to the kind of help they have along with it. If they hire the right people to run things they would have no problems at all as long as business keeps coming in. With this place they are taking a landmark in the town and reopening the restaurant into their own menu. Which they can always play with the menu as time goes on to make it work. IMO its not a bad thing having so many locally owned businesses in towns. Especially when its bringing jobs that may be needed. I know where I am all we keep seeing are more and more "apartment homes" go up and not enough jobs for all this overpriced housing. My friend lives in another state and its the same thing. No businesses built and open but more overpriced housing. So just for the jobs they are adding with all these different businesses they have, I hope it works out. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I call foul on that.  Maybe Magnolia Realty helped them with the home buying process outside of the show, but all the homeowners own the property by the time they do their "hunt" with Chip and Jo.  The Downs bought their house in August 2014.  Season 3 started filming in the summer of 2015.  The Downs have also, surprised surprise, heavily used the Magnolia name in their VRBO listing.  Something tells me they knew what they were getting into.

https://www.vrbo.com/912033

This is also what they had to say earlier in the year when someone complained about the neighborhood on their HomeAway listing: "We appreciate your comments regarding our home and we listen to all of our guests concerns and we make changes when it’s under our control. One of the famous sayings of Chip and Joanna Gaines is that they are “Making Waco beautiful one home at a time” As well as “Do you have the courage to take on a fixer-upper.?” We saw potential in the home and bought into the concept of “planting a seed” in making the town a better place for all. We also see our neighborhood as “fixer-upper” and we are working with the city of Waco Council Members, the Waco Police, and our neighbors to revitalize our neighborhood. We ask that all visitors to our wonderfully designed home please keep an open mind about the neighborhood , knowing that it is a work in progress!!"

Edited by saylubee
  • Love 6
(edited)

That's scary as heck. When I was a kid, a driver somehow flew a car over two houses' front yards and landed on the front steps going up from the street to the third yard -- all of this going uphill. Landed with enough force to break 3 of 4 large concrete  decorative balls right off the stairway.  I remember it clearly because we were living in the third house!

Anyhow the Waco incident is also interesting for those of us who've wondered about the 'hoods the FU houses are in. And what happened to the original tag line about taking "the worst houses in the best neighborhoods" as their projects? Evidently, that part of the mission statement got tweaked!

Finally, I don't get the idea that a house remodeling would increase property taxes by that much. The square footage didn't increase. The changes to the exterior were merely cosmetic in addition to structural repairs. It's not like they added on a second floor! 

Sounds to me like there are some green-eyed monsters in an already dicey neighborhood.  

And @saylubee, agreed -- it's pretty disingenuous to claim the buyers didn't know the neighborhood before they bought. My dad always told me, "don't buy in *any* neighborhood until you've spent time there at night - especially a weekend night."  Let's see: college town, concentration of bars... yeah, that'd be a clue. Well anyway -- very glad the humans were unhurt!!!

Edited by BckpckFullaNinjas
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

That's scary as heck. When I was a kid, a driver somehow flew a car over two houses' front yards and landed on the front steps going up from the street to the third yard -- all of this going uphill. Landed with enough force to break 3 of 4 large concrete  decorative balls right off the stairway.  I remember it clearly because we were living in the third house!

Anyhow the Waco incident is also interesting for those of us who've wondered about the 'hoods the FU houses are in. And what happened to the original tag line about taking "the worst houses in the best neighborhoods" as their projects? Evidently, that part of the mission statement got tweaked!

Finally, I don't get the idea that a house remodeling would increase property taxes by that much. The square footage didn't increase. The changes to the exterior were merely cosmetic in addition to structural repairs. It's not like they added on a second floor! 

Sounds to me like there are some green-eyed monsters in an already dicey neighborhood.  

And @saylubee, agreed -- it's pretty disingenuous to claim the buyers didn't know the neighborhood before they bought. My dad always told me, "don't buy in *any* neighborhood until you've spent time there at night - especially a weekend night."  Let's see: college town, concentration of bars... yeah, that'd be a clue. Well anyway -- very glad the humans were unhurt!!!

I agree that the buyers should have done their due diligence about the neighborhood before they bought. But I'd like to point out that this neighborhood is nowhere near Baylor and the bar scene. Actually, the areas near the colleges and the bars are much better neighborhoods. Waco isn't like the typical college town - the areas that are "bad" are "bad" because of generational poverty - not Baylor. The neighborhood they live in is definitely transitional - I imagine in 5 more years it will be more where they thought it was when they bought it, but for now it's still a pretty dicey area. I wouldn't want to live there. And they street that dead ends into their yard is a major street - so I'm actually surprised it hasn't happened more often. I've often gone down that street not realizing it didn't actually connect to the other side of the street. 

I have noticed on the most recent seasons they have gotten away from the worse neighborhoods and are sticking more to Woodway and other wealthier areas. Most of the cool older homes in Waco are in transitional neighborhoods. It seems like they are mostly doing ranch style homes now - which is more boring (IMO). I miss them doing homes with more character.

And the Fixer Upper effect has drastically impacted property values in Waco. Prices have jumped here in the past few years - good luck buying much under $200,000 in a good neighborhood anymore. A few years ago you could buy a really nice place for $150,00 pretty easily. Most of the stuff that's a good price/location goes under contract quickly. Where I live in Lorena, houses go under contract the same day. My realtor actually called me and asked if we wanted to sell the house (we bought 6 years ago) because one of her realtor friends had someone looking in Lorena and couldn't find anything. A lot of the commercial property located anywhere near the silos has also jumped significantly in taxes. I've noticed many of my new neighbors are from California. There is a house near me that was listed at $300,000- my husband and I laughed because we figured they would maybe get $250,000 for it - we thought it was way overpriced. Well, it's under contract already within a few weeks. I'm hoping it doesn't bring up our taxes too much. We've discussed selling because we have tons of equity, but we wouldn't be able to find anything else here.

So the Fixer Upper effect really cuts both ways. I'm mostly excited for what it's done for Waco, though. A lot of people still associate Waco with the Branch Dravidians (they were located several miles outside of town), the multiple Baylor crises such as the basketball player murder and the sexual assaults (that's Baylor's issue, not Waco's!) and the Twin Peaks incident (which could have happened anywhere). I've lived here 13 years and love Waco. It's well situated for driving to the other big cities in Texas and we have plenty of amenities here. The schools are good and in the past few years we are starting to get tons of cool cultural events (like a film festival!) and we have an awesome distillery and brewery here - there's just tons of growth, which is exciting because Waco has really stagnated since the tornado destroyed downtown. There's lots of ups and downs with Magnolia, but I feel like - for the most part - they've been great for Waco. 

• Love 8
51 minutes ago, mcwick said:

they street that dead ends into their yard is a major street - so I'm actually surprised it hasn't happened more often. I've often

Wow---going back to my folks: my mom would comment on the placement of houses on streets: "now, look here, these poor folks have headlights shining into their living rooms every time a car drives by...oh, this one gets headlights from every car that drives down the street!!!". Too bad someone with my folks' insights couldn't have advised this couple!!

@mcwick, thanks for your insider's view of things!  A friend relo'ed to Waco just as the FU show was really taking off, and I was glad for her because I figured it was a smart move in her situation. Myself? I'd go someplace without the summer heat that Waco and my current location share!! But that's just me, and that's not the point of this topic. ;-D

Was this the house that had all of the SECURITY CAMERAS IN USE signs all over the property? As I recall, there was a commercial dumpster across the street and it looked like a terrible area. If you look up the Zillow link above, the rough Zillow "guesstimate" of property values in the area is in the $80k range. Didn't this couple put in north of $250,000?

• Love 3

yes they did put in that much...and it came out the the people on the show have already bought the house way before they are shown 3 houses to pick from, did they buy it through chip and jojos realty company??   they should have done some basic homework of the area before picking the house they went with

• Love 3

Another couple that wants to make money off the Gaines name but when something isn't right they bitch and moan and groan over it as if its the Gaines' fault. Sorry but considering they bought the house the year before they had it redone by them they should have researched. I call it karma for using the show to try to make money off someone else's name. 

saylubee, good job on finding that out. It really says a lot about that family IMO and how dishonest they are. Its to bad others don't look at the big picture before they start complaining that the Gaines' and talking as some will when it comes to anything with them. 

I will say that living in So. California where I do we have seen on the news many times over the years where a car ends up in a home or backyard that you wouldn't think would happen. We lived a little down the street from where we are now in an apartment complex. We lived a little bit inside so we weren't right against the busy street but close enough to it compared to the rest of the complex. Well its situation in the middle of the long block. One morning a couple summers ago, there was a loud crash and tons of other noise. Next thing you know someone is yelling call 911. Come to find out the apartments off the street there, one of them ended up with the trash truck in the patio brick wall. Which broke the slider door. Luckily no one was hurt but some idiot driver that had no license hit the trash truck causing this. Where we are now our yard corners to the brick wall near the street but the way things are situated are home isn't that close to it but the neighbor's is. 

As for home prices going up in Waco, its not going to be just because of the show but home prices have gone up in general all over. It happens no matter what a neighborhood is like as well. We got our home at the right moment. If the one we got hadn't come up then we would have been stuck. We bought a mobile home. Which is one of the cheapest one can get in our state. Yet we got our's for a little under $100,000 and it was appraised at a little over that. Now all the homes for sale here are well over that price. Some are new ones put in and some are older like our's is. Summer also seems to make the prices go up as well. 

BTW, talking about areas for homes on this show and neighborhoods reminds me that I wish people really knew the areas that a certain flipper show picked them out of because no one would want to live in those areas that watches. I have no clue how the ones in Waco are compared to these ones but these are not good areas at all. There was one I saw them advertise for people to check out in a city not far from my area and I looked it up to see where it was in the city out of curiosity and it was in an area with a ton of registered sex offenders. Then toss in the gangs...so yeah.......It reminds me of when we tried to buy a condo many years ago before he housing issues happened. We went to an agent nearby and the guy ended up being a jerk. He told us how we couldn't afford to live in the city we are in now and had to look elsewhere. Ok fine whatever we already knew areas we were ok with and ones we weren't. Well the guy takes us to one in a really bad area. The place looked more like an apartment complex than condos too. Get inside and the whole family(families) are still in it as we were suppose to look at it and they had bunkbeds in every room. We were so angry. We had 2 kids at the time and one ready to go to school soon so we wanted to make sure we were by good schools and we ended up being shown a place that was not safe at all and some of the worse schools. I felt that he did this on purpose. That was something we would never forget. 

• Love 1

Just wow. This couple is trying to blame everyone but themselves for living in this neighborhood. Didn't they look across and down the street before they bought the house? As someone else said, they'd already bought the house before the Gaines' ever entered the picture. Just watching on TV, I could tell that some of these neighborhoods/immediate neighbors were sketchy. 

• Love 4

More trouble in Waco:

http://people.com/home/fixer-upper-homeowner-says-chip-and-joanna-gaines-deceived-her-about-not-safe-neighborhood/

I don't know if I would move just move to Waco because the Gaines built a house for me. Hopefully, said people have a job or family. That said, I would totally have Chip & Joanna build (Fix) a house for me in the Philly area. LOL!!! That was an interesting point about the taxes going up when the houses are fixed up. What about the junky houses they keep out of camera range? They never really show the neighborhood.. Even during the reveal it's a tight shot in the background of the homeowners.

I always look at the outside shots and have seen many of the houses next door/parking lot next door, etc. It's enough to give you an idea of the neighborhood plus the condition of the houses. If a house is $35,000, you have an idea of the condition of the neighboring houses too. I just saw a photo of the home owners and remember that episode. I thought when I watched it that there was something off about the woman. It's hard to explain but she had a kind of vacant look, huge sweat stains like she was very nervous and her hair always looked like she'd just rolled out of bed. I don't usually comment on people's looks but somehow, this all seemed weird to me and not like their usual clients. Also somehow, it doesn't surprise me that this couple is now complaining about the city of Waco and the Gaines. It will be interesting to see how this plays out if there are any more developments.

• Love 2

http://jalopnik.com/drunk-driver-fixes-fixer-uppers-most-infuriating-house-1796782663

Ive forgotten a lot about Housing architectural styles but I did wonder why the substantial front porch had been replaced with such thin railings when I saw the "before"'photos. I dont recall seeing this episode on tv. 

Makes me appreciate the "Restored" guy out in central/Southern California even more for the respect he has for original design.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Jellybeans said:

There are some areas of town you stay out of. Gaines or no Gaines.

Exactly! So this family is now trying to act like they were lied to by the Gaines but they already owned the house before it was fixed up. So they are blaming them everywhere they can and taking not a since ounce of responsibility for their own stupidity in NOT researching areas before picking their house. Sorry but this is all 100% on these idiots. I wish people would take the responsibility for their own shit. The fact that they used it as a rental shows they moved there with this in mind and using the Gaines' and shows names to make some money off them. If they try to say otherwise I call major bs on them. Maybe someone should tell them to research areas next time before they move.  

1 hour ago, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

http://jalopnik.com/drunk-driver-fixes-fixer-uppers-most-infuriating-house-1796782663

Ive forgotten a lot about Housing architectural styles but I did wonder why the substantial front porch had been replaced with such thin railings when I saw the "before"'photos. I dont recall seeing this episode on tv. 

Makes me appreciate the "Restored" guy out in central/Southern California even more for the respect he has for original design.

I saw this one but I can't remember why. Yet I will bet it was done just fine. The person that wrote was stupid IMO. They obviously are not fans of things when they start off the article about how this episode angered them. When you compare the to front porches the redo was a ton of a lot better looking. It was more open and airy unlike before where it was smaller and not something that comes off as a place to sit and relax. I wouldn't be surprised if the couple had wanted it redo as it was. I don't think the Gaines just do whatever to a house without the approval of whoever is going to live in it. 

And the complaints from neighbors is probably not about taxes but about the place being a rental. Most people do NOT want to live next to those places. I think everything coming from this couple is a load of crap. That last article was as well. 

The guy you are talking about is the one with the cowboy hat and is tall right? I like him too but there is a few things he does to the homes as well that aren't always to the original design but what the owners would like as well added into it. He has a lady that checks on things to see if she can find info on the homes as well and an old picture. I think he is filming another season too. I know most of what he did in the first one was in Riverside County. Not a place I would live and its another one of those places that most of the areas are not the best either. Its a hot as heck place to live this time of year. To many places that are fire prone. I do wish we had more of these kind of shows though. 

• Love 5