Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E13: Valentine's Day

I think this whole episode was hilarious from the minute the Dirty Dancing song started up to the sexual harassment story and especially to how Mateo's lie about Sandra and Jeff has grown and grown until Sandra's fake relationship, that Mateo started, began messing with Mateo's mind.  Oh and Glenn realizing the relationship with his wife began as textbook sexual harassment. 

But then I feel guilty because Sandra's fake relationship is getting a bit sad and I wonder where they're going with this. 

• Love 3

I completely lost it at Amy and Glenn's conversation. "What's Match.com?" "It's like Christian Mingle, but for everyone."  

And then the brief scenes of that poor guy out in the parking lot trying to stuff a dozen balloons and the gigantic teddy bear into his tiny car. 

• Love 7

I absolutely loved Myrtle and the amorous elderly gentleman, along with just about everything else. And poor Glenn, who tries so hard. This is a show I usually watch twice since I think I sometimes miss some of the rapid-fire jokes.

• Love 5

I think my biggest laugh was the moment Mateo brushed off giving Jeff a gift because he'd been dealing with so much. Poor Jeff! Also, everything about Glenn and Jerusha's "courtship" slayed me.

I'm "glad" (I don't know if that's really the word for this feeling) that Myrtle was spot on about Arthur being a big old creep and she was 100% in the right for her initial reports and for complaining again. I don't blame Amy or Glenn since they didn't know about the reports (though how Glenn wouldn't know I don't understand since you think he'd be looped in to make sure they were kept apart) but Myrtle was right to be upset that she was forced to work with someone she'd complained about multiple times. There were other ways the show could have gone with it, but I prefer that Myrtle that it wasn't "misunderstanding" the situation.

Edited by vibeology
  • Love 5

Yes, it was Bernie Koppel, and he's been around forever. Frankly I didn't even know if he was still alive. He also used to play the dirty old man apothecary on Bewitched. 

Love America's new hairstyle, makes me wanna try out something new. 

I'm not a fan of the style. It looks like she cut her own hair with a lawn mower, it's sort of "deliberately messy."

This episode, however, was a real winner from start to finish. Cheyenne having a party because her parents are out of town, and it's "bring your own nitrous." Glenn believing Johah was just someone who looked like him, "It's uncanny!"  And the escalating fight between Amy and Myrtle with the customers getting involved. "She asked for it!" Man, this episode was just firing on all cylinders. Also that Glenn thinks cupid bites people. "Cupid's fangs!"

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 4

This show is so flipping funny, I cant even pick a favorite scene or episode. For some reason, I cracked up at the image of the therapy dog ripping apart the giant teddy bear. This show is just so full of laughs, some of which have nothing to do with the plot, its amazing.

Oh Glenn. He means so well, but he is just the most clueless person ever. Also, I really want to see more of that sexual harassment video. Was the plot of that video the MC Cloud sexually harassing the woman from a episode of NCIS? That sounds amazing.

Oh Sandra. She has so deeply committed to this lie, its both sad and impressive. So much so that Mateo starts to believe its real! When even Cheyenne is the straight man....Also enjoying Cheyenne getting a little smarter. You study for those SATs girl!

• Love 5

What kind of name is "Jerusha" anyway?

Jerusha is a Biblical name. She was the mother of Jotham who became a King of Judah. She was considered to be a very good mother since Jotham "did what was right in the eyes of the Lord." 2 Chronicles: 27: 1-2

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 1

iMonrey... my older daughter is named Jerushah. I stumbled across the name as a teenager, fell in love with it, and swore to use it if I ever had a daughter : ) 

It's Hebrew, biblical (though that's not what the draw is for me); it means "inheritance." My daughter is 34 now; the only other time I've run across her name in a film capacity was years ago when I caught part of the film version of James Michener's "Hawaii"--the preacher's wife was named Jerusha (it was on her gravestone...I did a double take & had to go find the book to check to see I hadn't imagined it!). Over the years, we've encountered a few contemporary Jerushas (though so far none that use the final "h" like my girl!), but in checking it out, I discovered it was *very* popular name during the puritan era!

It's one of the things that delighted me about this show right away, of course, but I kind of forgot so it's funny all over again when Glenn brings it up.

Oh, and her nickname(s) are, variously, Rusha, Ru, and when she was little, Ru-ru and Rooster (that's what her brother called her before he could pronounce her name). Beware to anyone who tries to call her Jerry!

eta: beat me to it, Mary!

Edited by cuppasun
acknowledging another reply
  • Love 2

For me, Bernie Koppel always takes me back to Get Smart (I feel very old) when he played one of the bad guys.  It was good to see him again.

I also liked the episode.  My favorite minute was the therapy dog and the teddy bear.  As someone else said, it is the little cut away moments that make the show great.

• Love 2

Loved that Mateo was mad at Jeff because of Sandra's one-sided imaginary relationship with Jeff. Also love that Mateo sort of flipped it back at Garrett, who had been subtly needling him about Sandra and Jeff, in the last scene. Yes, so much funny stuff all over the place. As mentioned, Glenn believing that Jonah was someone who looks just like Jonah.... priceless.

• Love 2

priceless

That word sums up this entire season. However, I did wonder whether Attractive-Blonde-Shopper was really a shoplifter. Also, I found it odd that Jonah was flirting with, and apparent ready to go out with her in one scene and then (subtly) flirting once again with Amy in a subsequent scene.

• Love 1

This show is one of the most underrated on TV right now, I think. The writing is clever, and every character (even the secondary ones like Myrtle and Sandra) is so well cast. And this is one show where I pay full attention to the screen the whole time, because some of the cutaway/background moments are hysterical. Another moment I though was hilarious was Jonah and Dina's fight about their fake life. Cracked me up!

• Love 9
On 2/11/2017 at 6:28 PM, MakeMeLaugh said:

Loved that Mateo was mad at Jeff because of Sandra's one-sided imaginary relationship with Jeff. Also love that Mateo sort of flipped it back at Garrett, who had been subtly needling him about Sandra and Jeff, in the last scene.

And Garrett escalated the gag to upset Mateo even further. The song dedication was a 1970s Rose Royce song called "I Want To Get Next To You" -- from the movie Car Wash. It was a popular song in its day, but the few people who would know it now are hardcore R & B listeners, which Sandra probably is not. So that song totally came from Garrett, not Sandra. Hilarious.

On 2/11/2017 at 8:02 PM, MaryHedwig said:

That word sums up this entire season. However, I did wonder whether Attractive-Blonde-Shopper was really a shoplifter. Also, I found it odd that Jonah was flirting with, and apparent ready to go out with her in one scene and then (subtly) flirting once again with Amy in a subsequent scene.

Jonah sure likes to hook up with people in the store, doesn't he? Remember when he made out with the lady from the corporate magazine? And then Dina showed the security camera footage during the staff meeting as -- was it an example of sexual harassment? And he brought Naomi to the store to shop for apartment furnishings, which--I don't know.  Cloud 9 doesn't strike me as having the highest quality of products, unless it's more like a Target than a Walmart. 

I like that so far, Jonah and Amy's relationship has remained platonic (despite the subtle flirting). But it's reminding me of the earlier Castle episodes--everyone around Amy and Jonah keeps mentioning how much they like each other, but they either don't see it or refuse to acknowledge it. 

• Love 1

Loved that Mateo was mad at Jeff because of Sandra's one-sided imaginary relationship with Jeff.

But then it turns out that Mateo is actually a pretty crappy boyfriend. Jeff actually got him a Valentine's present. Granted - not a big, showy one or even a terribly romantic one, but something with a personal reason behind it. Mateo didn't even get him a stinking card. Now, I'm tempted to give Mateo some slack because he didn't even think he and Jeff were at the "boyfriend" calling stage yet. But when presented with a gift and asked if he'd gotten Jeff anything in return, rather than apologizing he just blew him off and said his day had been super stressful. 

Bottom line? Jeff can probably do better. Ironically, Sandra seems to appreciate him more than Mateo does.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

But then it turns out that Mateo is actually a pretty crappy boyfriend. Jeff actually got him a Valentine's present. Granted - not a big, showy one or even a terribly romantic one, but something with a personal reason behind it. Mateo didn't even get him a stinking card. Now, I'm tempted to give Mateo some slack because he didn't even think he and Jeff were at the "boyfriend" calling stage yet. But when presented with a gift and asked if he'd gotten Jeff anything in return, rather than apologizing he just blew him off and said his day had been super stressful. 

Bottom line? Jeff can probably do better. Ironically, Sandra seems to appreciate him more than Mateo does.

I think Mateo was mad at Jeff. Which makes no sense because Jeff had nothing to to with the "gifts" Sandra was sending herself.  But irrational or not, Mateo was quite upset. Maybe he'll get Jeff a gift once he calms down. 

And FWIW, a key chain doesn't say, Hey, I'm thinking about you, you're special, you're sexy. As Jeff said, he got it for him because he's always losing his keys. Which also makes so sense. I have multiple key chains on my key ring, and I still lose my keys unless I put them in the same spot by the TV every time I get home. 

On 2/11/2017 at 3:52 PM, Tiger said:

I like America's cut, but not the blonde.  

Amy's fight with the customers over Myrtle 'asking for it' was hysterical, as was Garrett needling Mateo over Sandra & Jeff.

America Farrera once said in an interview (I don't know how long ago it was) that blonde hair doesn't look good on her. LOL

I may be wrong, but I assumed that the key ring was one that you can whistle, or clap, and it "beeps". My late mother in law got me one for Christmas years ago because I was always losing my keys. I thought it was a thoughtful- a useful- gift. So, I thought Jeff's gesture was sweet. He got his boyfriend something useful and thoughtful. And Mateo was kind of a jerk about it.

• Love 2

I still enjoy the fact that they are making Cheyenne one of the most insightful people there. Between her recognizing the issue with asking out co-workers only if you are certain they are receptive to it and designing a better SuperCloud mascot on the spot, she's really bringing it this season. 

• Love 6
On February 10, 2017 at 0:46 AM, phalange said:

I completely lost it at Amy and Glenn's conversation. "What's Match.com?" "It's like Christian Mingle, but for everyone."  

And then the brief scenes of that poor guy out in the parking lot trying to stuff a dozen balloons and the gigantic teddy bear into his tiny car. 

That gave me such flashbacks! I managed a store that had like 40 different mylar balloons to choose from (the metal shiny ones) and like 20 something colors and patterns of latex balloons, plus assorted weights to hold them down. People would come in and order 10 bouquets, 1 mylar and 4 or 6 latex, all attached to individual weights…. and bring a Prius to pick the damn things up. Then they'd act like we should have told them. Uh moron, you ordered 50 balloons and drove a shoe box to come get them, how'd you think they were going to fit? Better yet were the ones who not only did this, but also had scalding hot trays of food in there too and be shocked when the balloons started popping. Did I mention I have a pretty severe phobia of popping balloons? Good times. 

The sexual harassment videos are always seriously the worst, so cheesy it hurts. Pretty much any training video is always basically just a lesson in group bonding as everyone mocks it to no end. The last chain I worked at sent out an anti-shop lifter video featuring an actor so creepy it quickly became known as the "Chester the Molester" video throughout the chain and they told us just to stop showing it. It was great for a laugh though, I'll give it that. Ironically, he was the only "trained" actor in the video, the rest of the people were actual store employees from various stores.

Maybe Myrtle can date the older Asian man who is always picking stuff up off the floor. Normally I'd say of course Glenn would know about the harassment, but this is Glenn, so it's probably better he didn't. 

I get why Mateo isn't busting Sandra, but I'm not sure why he hasn't told Jeff. That part isn't making sense. I'm wondering who is going to bust her though. Mateo, Garrett, Cheyenne, or Sandra herself. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2