Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E11: Insult to Injury

In the aftermath of Jesus’ fight with Nick over Mariana, Jesus is knocked out. On the way to the hospital, things take a turn for the worse, leaving him fighting for his life. Meanwhile, Callie finds herself in a dangerous situation after taking a ride with Troy and Mariana is guilt-ridden over the fact that her actions led to Jesus’ current condition.

Man, Stef and Lena ask for one simple thing and Callie can't even do that! Ok, granted I think she was genuinely trying to create less problems for her family but ended up making things worse. But finally she did do the right thing, even if it was prompted by them and Aaron. I also see that this whole Kyle storyline is going to continue, which means the grandson may not even be the relative with the DNA on the murder weapon. I do wonder if Kyle is actually innocent or not. What a twist it would be if the kid was guilty and Callie was wrong. 

Mariana was not having a good episode. She was not getting any sympathy from her family. Lena and Emma were both quite harsh toward her. I see that she might actually get some genuine help with her issues, which will be good. She did seem to need to hear Emma say that Jesus' current injury was her fault. She did seem to be in denial or just plain out of it until then. 

Well, I see Brandon/Courtney are finally done. I didn't really like her much, but she did have a point in telling Brandon that she tried to keep him away and he was the one to tell her that he could handle their relationship. It turns out that he couldn't. I do think that she is still to blame as she is more of the adult in their relationship.

Poor Jesus. That really sucks that his whole life is going to change because of one fight. 

I'm not sure I'm liking teenager Jude and his boyfriend Noah. They're starting to do illegal things and he's going to get in trouble if he keeps it up.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

They're starting to do illegal things and he's going to get in trouble if he keeps it up.

I'm sure the shit is going to hit the fan sometime this season. Probably won't be very pretty. Jude needs to be taking down a peg though. I thought when they got in Courtney's car, that guy was going to take down her license plate.

When they were doing the previously on, I totally forgot about Mariana's pill popping.

I was surprised they showed so much of Jesus' operation.(at least for Prime Time) I had to look away at first when the drill was going into his skull. Yeah, didn't need to see that thank you.

I said out loud, " oh yeah right" after Callie got into the car accident and then you see NO CARS driving around on that long street.(except for the car they hit) TV/movie pet peeve/nitpick #25

There sure was a ton of storylines going this ep!   I enjoyed it though.

• Love 3

I realized I might be just a little too old for this show anymore.  I only really care about Mariana and Jesus as far as the kids go.  Brandon is ever mopey/dopey, Callie is never not in trouble, and now Jude is a little shit with a little shit boyfriend.  Plus for me gratuitous teen sex is kind of boring and annoying.

10 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Man, Stef and Lena ask for one simple thing and Callie can't even do that! Ok, granted I think she was genuinely trying to create less problems for her family but ended up making things worse. But finally she did do the right thing, even if it was prompted by them and Aaron. I also see that this whole Kyle storyline is going to continue, which means the grandson may not even be the relative with the DNA on the murder weapon. I do wonder if Kyle is actually innocent or not. What a twist it would be if the kid was guilty and Callie was wrong. 

The grandson was going to do who knows what with Callie before the crash, and he ran from the scene, so he's looking pretty bad to me. 

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

The grandson was going to do who knows what with Callie before the crash, and he ran from the scene, so he's looking pretty bad to me. 

I'd say that it definitely is looking bad, but if this show is trying to be a mini detective/cop show within a family drama, they might take the same old cliches and leave the door open for another murderer. For all we know, the grandson just has a criminal record and didn't want to get caught for the accident and that's why he ran. It's especially clear to me since they didn't just end the Kyle case right off the bat and it seems like they'll be dragging this on and on for many more episodes, with Callie possibly getting arrested for the felony hit and run. We also don't know what the grandson was going to do either. Callie certainly thought that he was going to hurt her or kill her, but we don't know if that's the case. He definitely scared her and wasn't happy with her letting Kyle loose, but he also seemed convinced that Kyle was the bad one, which makes it seem like Kyle could actually be the guilty party here. 

16 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

I realized I might be just a little too old for this show anymore.  I only really care about Mariana and Jesus as far as the kids go.  Brandon is ever mopey/dopey, Callie is never not in trouble, and now Jude is a little shit with a little shit boyfriend.  Plus for me gratuitous teen sex is kind of boring and annoying.

I've actually started to actively hate Callie storylines. Jude and his boyfriend are very annoying and not cute like they're trying to make them to be. Yeah, how cute that they smoke pot, sneak onto boats that aren't their own, and lying and disobeying parental orders. How fun to see teenagers be teenagers. Not that Jude needs to be the same cute boy he was in season 1, but he's very much a prick now. I know he was high this episode, but he seemed less than concerned about Jesus. As for Brandon, I'm just tired of his woe is me story and hope that this last half of the season, he takes a backseat and maybe has no drama like his moms asked of them. We know everyone else will have drama but with Brandon's drama starting and ending with his loss of acceptance to Julliard, maybe he'll take the time to focus on his family and not get into any more trouble.

• Love 2

I liked Jesus the best during this episode, and he was unconscious!

This show has gotten way too crowded. I don't care about any of the teen's significant others (except for maybe Matt). They take time away from the family and aren't very interesting.

Callie is the worst. She's gotten so many chances and blown them all. Even when she's set up by another person or some crazy circumstance, it's a chore to watch her repeating the same mistakes.

• Love 4

From now on whenever someone does something stupid I'm calling it "pulling a Callie." Everything, absolutely everything she did in this episode was stupid: running away from the accident but not running to a house or business, standing alone out on the (weirdly vacant) street once she got away, calling 911 to report the accident but not telling the 911 operator that she was afraid for her safety and that's why she left the scene (That's exactly the kind of thing you want on a 911 tape), not telling her moms especially the one of whom is a cop, not telling AJ whose foster father? Also a COP!, going to the police alone when she should know how important legal counsel is. That really drove me crazy. She's not some street kid who doesn't understand how the system works. Between Girls United and Justice for Jack and trying to clear Kyle she knows how important it is to have an advocate when dealing with the legal system. It was an idiot plot from top to bottom and while I love this show, that kind of writing borders on insulting.

• Love 16

The absolute best thing about this episode hands down is that for once Brandon and Callie did not seek solace in each other after blowing things up. Brandon totally screwed up his chances with Julliard and did something dumb with Cortney (I'm calling it now that he got her pregnant) however it was the regular kind of stupid. Hooking up with your ex just because you feel down is normal dumb teen behavior. I was so sure that we were about to have another Brallie kiss when you could see Callie watching Brandon and Cortney out the window. I was pleasantly surprised, though there is always time. 

Callie continues to be determined to ruin her life. I don't know how she could possibly think it'd be okay to desert the scene of a crash, not say why when she was right there on the phone with 911 and the police would just let her walk or something. So, so stupid. I didn't know it was a felony, but sure as hell knew you couldn't just get off scotch free. And I was disgusted that she considered even for a minute not coming forward all for Kyle. I'm so sick of her imploding her life for one cause after another. Especially for Kyle who she doesn't even really know and whose case she's botched almost from the beginning. I'm glad Aaron spoke up about her outing him. I thought it was going to be brushed over. 

Also, I don't like how Mike was totally on point about Callie's BS, yet he still has to support AJ and Callie. Like I know he's actually just being there for AJ, but Callie has been safe from her part in her inappropriate relationships for too long. I want a real conversation about it with her. 

Surprised we went so far into Jesus' surgery. I am squeamish as hell and had to look away. I'm interested in following this story. 

Mariana needed that wake up call from Emma. She was so la de da while at the hospital. I know it was partially because she was coming down, but it lacked the emotion she had last time someone was in the hospital. Lena was really short with her so I'm hoping we see a return of the Lena who called Callie out on her garbage regarding her senior project. Mariana needs that. 

I'm glad that Nick is not facing extra repercussions for this whole thing. Hopefully, this won't turn into a huge ordeal though.  

What can I even say about Jude? I didn't expect Judicorn for Life, and tbh I've been soured on him since he treated Connor so weirdly/poorly during their relationship, but this new direction is not working for me. His brother was in the hospital and he was too high to care or be reached. No words. 

Callie...you are a moron. I have rarely seen a character who is supposed to be both academically and street smart do so many stupid and shitty things in a row, and not have it be part of a comedy or a downward spiral into drugs arc. Everything she did here just boggles the mind, starting with how all this started, getting in the car with a guy who your pretty sure is shady and possibly a murder. Then it gets worse. Fleeing an accident, seriously considering not telling anyone, going to the cops without her moms (one of whom is a COP), bringing up the murder case she is obsessed with while KNOWING there is a cop in the prescient who is trying to cover up something, I just cannot believe it. Callie is officially the winner of the illustrious "Stupidest Addams-Foster kid" award.

Granted, the rest of the kids aren't doing so hot in the brains department either. Brandon hooks up with Courtney (because screwing your ex while your upset always ends well!), Mariana is just drugged out of her mind, and don't even get me started on Jude. I am really not enjoying this anti drug PSA starring Jude and Bad Influence Boyfriend in the middle of my Fosters. Its just always so weird seeing the rest of the kids having these huge, life altering disasters, while Jude...is getting high and sneaking around in boats with his boyfriend. Yeah, ask Rory Gilmore how stealing boats ended, Jude. Alright, he didn't steal it, exactly, but still.

I had to laugh at Stef telling her kids not to get into any drama. That's literally all they're capable of lately. Speaking of, poor Jesus. He`s the only one who has actually been doing alright lately (well, him and AJ), and now he might be brain damaged for life because of one dumb fight. AJ is still really likable, and I like him and Mike, and I have really enjoyed the Mike as a Foster Parent story in general. That being said, I agree with AJ. Telling your significant other that you would be with someone else if you weren't with him is a pretty crappy thing to say. It might be true, but you don't have to just say it.

Have I mentioned lately that Callie is a moron?

• Love 7

The only thing I can think of when looking at Brandon is .. please get a haircut . He's cute but that mop on his head does him no justice . I was really looking forward to Courtney being really shady .. too bad she has to be the one that makes sense 

callie is just annoying at this point . All the kids always need drama but she just swims in it .

Mariana is really not a good actress 

And a partridge in a pear tree 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

I had to laugh at Stef telling her kids not to get into any drama. That's literally all they're capable of lately. Speaking of, poor Jesus. He`s the only one who has actually been doing alright lately (well, him and AJ), and now he might be brain damaged for life because of one dumb fight. AJ is still really likable, and I like him and Mike, and I have really enjoyed the Mike as a Foster Parent story in general. That being said, I agree with AJ. Telling your significant other that you would be with someone else if you weren't with him is a pretty crappy thing to say. It might be true, but you don't have to just say it.

It's a crappy thing to say, but considering the context, I get why Callie said it. AJ had said that

But Callie still pretty dumb. Why didn't she ask Stef to go with her to the police? Especially when she was going to open up about the Kyle case. When I saw her watching the news, I thought she was going to try and call in an anonymous tip, but have them trace the number.  Going in herself was just ridiculous.

I sort of feel bad for Brandon. But he was the one who made the choice to cheat. And then he kind of made it worse by making the kid take the test again and use that score. Of course that was going to send up a red flag. I'm not advocating cheating, but once he did it, he may as well have tried to get away with it.

1 hour ago, KaveDweller said:

But Callie still pretty dumb. Why didn't she ask Stef to go with her to the police? Especially when she was going to open up about the Kyle case. When I saw her watching the news, I thought she was going to try and call in an anonymous tip, but have them trace the number.  Going in herself was just ridiculous.

It was, although I was just reminded that the detective in the last scene (I'm pretty sure) is the one who threatened Stef's job when she started getting involved in the Kyle case. I don't know if this is right, but are they trying to insinuate that Dirty Detective is out for Callie because of Callie looking into Kyle's case? I mean, Callie is part of a felony hit and run, but is she going to get a worse punishment because of the Kyle thing? It seems like they might be alluding to this happening, though I'm not sure. For once, Callie was trying to do the right thing for once but because she ended up not listening to Aaron by keeping her mouth shut about Kyle, maybe it'll cost her more than she thinks. 

Again, not that Callie is innocent in all of this because she really poked the bear here, but I feel like they're going to make this more complicated than it has to be.

• Love 1

This episode reminded me why this show never is able to suck me in. It is so overwrought and ridiculous. These are teenagers not the staff of Grey's Anatomy. This is why the only character that interests me as usual is Jude. He is the only character whose story is about a teenager dealing with age appropriate issues, probably because the actor is so young. He could be on Degrassi. Of course this show makes it seem like this is the worse thing ever, but I am enjoying Jude and Noah smoking weed and sneaking onto other people's boats to eat their food and fool around. 

I like AJ and wish we could see more him. Too bad he will likely disappear as soon as his romance with Callie is over. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

It was, although I was just reminded that the detective in the last scene (I'm pretty sure) is the one who threatened Stef's job when she started getting involved in the Kyle case. I don't know if this is right, but are they trying to insinuate that Dirty Detective is out for Callie because of Callie looking into Kyle's case? I mean, Callie is part of a felony hit and run, but is she going to get a worse punishment because of the Kyle thing? It seems like they might be alluding to this happening, though I'm not sure. For once, Callie was trying to do the right thing for once but because she ended up not listening to Aaron by keeping her mouth shut about Kyle, maybe it'll cost her more than she thinks. 

Again, not that Callie is innocent in all of this because she really poked the bear here, but I feel like they're going to make this more complicated than it has to be.

Yeah, I think that was the detective from last season too. He seems to have it out for anyone who is trying to mess up the Kyle case, so I do think they are going to be harder on Callie because of that. In normal circumstances, if a teenage girl went to the police saying she was a passenger in the car that caused the hit and run, but left the scene because he was trying to kidnap her and she was scared, they probably wouldn't actually arrest her. They'd give her immunity for testifying against the driver.

• Love 3

I won't repeat what's already been said. Callie is too stupid to live. But I felt for her after Stef said "no more drama" because she felt like she couldn't go to them with her situation. 

Callie and AJ are cute together. 

So far, Jesus' storyline, the moms' fake divorce, and Mariana are the only things that I care about. I tune out with Jude and Noah. 

Stef and Lena are goals and why I'm still watching. Seeing Stef be there for Lena and taking care of her as she was crumbling under the stress of everything, all the feels. I'm still enjoying snappy!Lena. It hurt me to see her so upset over Jesus. 

I'm excited to see what's ahead for Jesus next week. 

I just can''t get over the fact that every single one of their kids is a screw-up and a number of them regularly commit crimes. Even the law of averages should show 1 or 2 to not be complete imbeciles. 

Also, the police would know Callie was involved in that accident immediately. She called on her cell phone. They have the number! And all she had to do was say on 911  "I was in car with John Doe and he is chasing me after hitting another car. Please help." And then run.

• Love 5
On 2/1/2017 at 9:15 PM, ShortyMac said:

I won't repeat what's already been said. Callie is too stupid to live. But I felt for her after Stef said "no more drama" because she felt like she couldn't go to them with her situation. 

Callie and AJ are cute together. 

She could have gone to Mike, the other police officer in her life.  It's not like she has no one!

This show started out so well as a family drama, and turned major fail for me.  I can't get into the OTT drama and stupidity anymore.

• Love 5

I finally watched....or I should say that I watched everything except for all of the Callie scenes. I just can't...I hate this entire storyline. It is beyond stupid and not befitting this quality show. On the bright side, I should be able to get through each episode a lot faster.

I liked the Jesus drama. I hope that they do justice to this storyline.

I also liked the Noah/Jude storyline. Is the actor playing Noah much older in real life because he looks so much older than Jude. Jude sure sobered up quickly once he got to the hospital.

I gagged when Brandon went back to -- and had sex again - with Cortney. Good for her for ending things.

Also liked how Emma called Mariana out and blamed her for Jesus getting hurt.

Liked the AJ/Mike scene and how AJ apologized to Aaron. Good for Aaron for telling Callie that it is not her place to out a trans person - and for spelling out the danger that trans people face.

I hate to say it but I think I am falling out of love with the show.

ETA: Even the moms - whose story is really why I watch - didn't blow me away.

Edited by LisaM
  • Love 1
On 2/1/2017 at 8:41 PM, Lady Calypso said:

the detective in the last scene (I'm pretty sure) is the one who threatened Stef's job when she started getting involved in the Kyle case. I don't know if this is right, but are they trying to insinuate that Dirty Detective is out for Callie because of Callie looking into Kyle's case?

I think that is exactly what they are doing.

I understand why Callie didn't tell her moms what was going on. They were worried about Jesus. I wish she had gone to Rita or Mike, though. She does have other adults in her life who could help set her on course. Likewise, she called 911 and the driver didn't. She was trying to do the right thing but she was panicked and ran. She should have told 911 that she was being chased and was afraid, but again: panic. Basically, Callie just panics and takes things into her own hands, trying to do whatever action she can do on her own. That's been consistent since the very first season, when we found out she was in trouble because she had trashed her abusive foster father's car because he was hurting Jude. She is still unlearning the panic and flail reflex.

I 100% agree that the show is too much drama all the time, too many balls of crazy and stupid being juggled at once, and generally has lost its way from the family I loved to being waaaaay too extreme ALL THE DAMN TIME. There are so many crises, it's just too damn much.

Does that really help ratings? I don't understand why they are doing it, otherwise. But it's for sure not what I want to be watching. Any one of these messes would be credible teenaged fuckery, but with 5 kids PLUS the moms all engaged in illegal and outrageous and life threatening and over the top schemes at once, it's exhausting.

I am glad they gave Aaron a chance to tell Callie not to out people, and to highlight the danger that can cause. I think the reason Callie said that stuff about Aaron being trans and how she'd date him was meant to be her way of countering AJ's BS, though obviously it was the wrong way to go about it on multiple levels. I thought it was fairly realistic, though, in that people do blurt out wrong stuff and come off badly in a heated argument with a significant other. It struck me as one of the more believable mistakes she's made, and they used it to highlight how wrong it was, and disposed of it quickly, instead of making an entire opera out of it.

I agree the moms are no longer really the heart of the show. They seem to have made it really about the kids, with the moms in the background. I liked it much better when there was a balance, but I suppose I'm not the Freeform target demographic, either.

• Love 6

I'm getting caught up on this show now, so I just saw this episode. I was rolling my eyes whenever Brandon was on screen, which is normal for me, but I was also rolling my eyes at Jude, which was new and not a great development.

I don't think I like Noah very much, and not just because I used to be into Jonnor.

Loved Callie being called out about her casual outing of trans people, though.

Edited by Ikki