Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E05: Week 5: New Orleans

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

On 1/31/2017 at 0:52 PM, JudyObscure said:

Lately my biggest problem with Corinne  isn't her so much but all the people who call her "Krin."  I always stop and think, "Who is that, Katrina?"

You are giving me flashbacks to Jubilee. I frequently wondered who this Joob Lee person was.  Say all the syllables!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, huahaha said:

Poor taste, like holding a fun "ghost story" date on a plantation that enslaved 750 people? I couldn't believe the producers thought that was ok. If anyone is haunting Houmas House, it isn't a little white girl with a missing doll.

Thank you. I felt the exact same way. I was like yea... that's what's haunting the plantation mansion... the white girl missing her doll... ugh. 

• Love 5
22 hours ago, LBS said:

Question on the previews for next week:

Hide contents

Did one of the women say something that he sent two girls home and that no one is safe?  Did the show just ruin the conclusion of the cliff-hanger between Corrine and Taylor?

Only if you believe anything they tell you in previews. Last season, I seem to recall they teased the idea that Ben might take back a rose he'd given to Olivia. That didn't happen, and Corinne certainly will not be sent home this time. You can pretty much assume that anything teased or implied will not go down the way it seems like it will.

At this point, I no longer care if Corinne is for real, or the degree to which she is prodded and/or created by the producers. I've had enough Her cutesey baby-sexy voice is just gross and I no longer want to listen to it. As I believe I mentioned last week, there are definitely moments that suggest that some of the other women could be genuinely interesting (others not so much), but we only get flashes of it, because we're constantly being bombarded with Corinne. Why oh why do the powers that be think that this is what we want?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, huahaha said:

Poor taste, like holding a fun "ghost story" date on a plantation that enslaved 750 people? I couldn't believe the producers thought that was ok. If anyone is haunting Houmas House, it isn't a little white girl with a missing doll.

I skipped over most of this part of the episode, so I didn't realize they were on a plantation.  But am I surprised that the mostly (all?) white TPTB thought nothing of this? I am not.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, wings707 said:

The fried dough of the northeast is a yeast bread dough fried,  very different than funnel cakes which have a loose batter.  And neither are like beignets. I love them all!

The beignets were the highlight for me.

I am bored with the format and have been for years. My watch time is down to about 30 to 40 minutes. It won't change,  they think we like it. LOL!  They have no clue it is really a self destructive habit that we cannot break.  And we don't believe anything.  Their staging is transparent to the point of absurd. 

It can be educational though.  We now know what Corinnne meant by cheese pasta.

OMG, fried bread dough at church picnics!! My mom used to make it on Fridays when I was a little girl. My mouth is now watering.

I saw somewhere above about a C-section....who had a C-section?? After reading that, I realized there were no mothers on this season, were there??

• Love 1

I saw somewhere above about a C-section....who had a C-section?? After reading that, I realized there were no mothers on this season, were there??

That was me, I had one.  But yeah, strange that there are no moms, does that mean that Nick said that having no kids was part of his criteria I wonder?  I mean nothing wrong with that if it was, to each their own and all.  And there are no virgins either, right?  I think I did hear one bachelorette say she was a widow and then not much was made of it afterwards.  The whole Corrine sage has completely eclipsed every other woman.  We know no backstory really about anyone else, but we know about Nanny Raquel and cheese pasta.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, huahaha said:

Touché! I guess we're lucky they didn't have some kind of jumping the broom for Nick's heart competition out back where the slave quarters used to be.

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, FamilyVan said:

The whole Corrine sage has completely eclipsed every other woman.

So sadly true. For all we know they all have kids, but the only kid that matters on this show is the oversexed one with the nanny. I would really like to get to know at least one or two other women. There are about 4 women he seems to favor, Cor, Raven, Vanessa and Rachel and I can't tell you much about the last three. What I saw of Rachel (finally) this ep was wonderful. I wish the show would focus more on her. She seems fun. I'd like more Alexis than just the end bits because she seems like a blast! I don't even know half of the other women. I am starting to remember Christina? The Russian? (I think that's her name and nationality). I think I like her.

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, FamilyVan said:

That was me, I had one.  But yeah, strange that there are no moms, does that mean that Nick said that having no kids was part of his criteria I wonder?  I mean nothing wrong with that if it was, to each their own and all.  And there are no virgins either, right?  I think I did hear one bachelorette say she was a widow and then not much was made of it afterwards.  The whole Corrine sage has completely eclipsed every other woman.  We know no backstory really about anyone else, but we know about Nanny Raquel and cheese pasta.

I think Kristin (the one who Liz told about her *Jade & Tanner's wedding!* rendezvous with Nick) said in her intro video the first week that she was a virgin?  But she never said anything else about it (which I was glad about - I hate when the virgins go on and on about being a virgin). 

Edited by wovenloaf
  • Love 7
20 hours ago, wovenloaf said:

I think Kristin (the one who Liz told about her *Jade & Tanner's wedding!* rendezvous with Nick) said in her intro video the first week that she was a virgin?  But she never said anything else about it (which I was glad about - I hate when the virgins go on and on about being a virgin). 

You are correct it was Kristin who was the token V this season.  OMG I am so glad that didn't become a thing because I was having serious flashbacks of Ashley I. harping on it every 11 mins. 

23 hours ago, kingshearte said:

At this point, I no longer care if Corinne is for real, or the degree to which she is prodded and/or created by the producers. I've had enough Her cutesey baby-sexy voice is just gross and I no longer want to listen to it. As I believe I mentioned last week, there are definitely moments that suggest that some of the other women could be genuinely interesting (others not so much), but we only get flashes of it, because we're constantly being bombarded with Corinne. Why oh why do the powers that be think that this is what we want?

ITA!  I noticed they don't even show the names of the other contestants on the show half the time because they are showing Corinne in her T.H.  I too wish the producers would stop shoving her down our throats and I bet $100 she's gonna be on BIP so that's already spoiled for me.  Hopefully she will make a quick exit a'la Chad. 

• Love 2

I recently saw an easy Beignets recipe and gave it a go.  They were so delicious that they were gone as soon as they hit the plate.  If you have a deep fryer, give it a try...   1 tube refrigerated Pillsbury pizza dough.  Use pizza cutter to cut into rectangles, fry till golden brown, turning once, top with sifted powdered sugar.  You're welcome!!!!

On topic-- I was on Taylor's side until she became so smug and repeated the same phrases over and over again.  Let it go! He's keeping Corrine for the dramuh

• Love 2
On 2/1/2017 at 8:10 PM, Tara Ariano said:

Awesome recap, as always!  I do disagree with this, however:

Corinne sits on the edge of the tub in her bathing suit, putting some sort of cream on her face. What is it with women sitting on the edge of tubs in their bathing suits? Is this a new thing, like twerking, or flash mobs, or Hatchimals? Eventually, Corinne gets into a bubble bath, sans bikini but with face cream, and drinks champagne. 

I swear when she was in the tub you could still see her bikini top straps.

Some comments:

Wasn't there anyplace available indoors where they could have had the rose ceremony?  That was insane having the ladies stand there freezing like that.

What the hell adult woman jumps on a bed?

Boo from the haunted house was a mumbler like Nick.  I heard him say he was handing out "majoolas", but closed captioning assured me they were "mint juleps".

Even though I thought the haunted house date was lame, I thought Jasmine constantly snarking on the non-existence of ghosts was even more lame.  Applause for whoever it was that shouted "Shut it, Jasmine!"  For the record, she's been due a "shut it" for a long time, I thought she was a snarky snot back from her Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader days & never ever understood how she made it.

Rachel is cute....I hope she loses and finds someone she deserves.

For those who thought Ben's Caila was dull, she is a 4th of July firecracker display compared to Danielle M.  I can't believe she got an early rose.  I give her one more week.

I loved Taylor giving her side of her argument with Corinne to Nick, how it went something like "Emotional intelligence (UGH!!!) is so important in a relationship...I tried to explain it to her and..."...and you're out!  She might as well have said "Emotional intelligence is so important in a relationship...I condescended to her about it and..."

For the life of me I couldn't figure out who Taylor reminded me of looks-wise, and then it hit me, she reminds me of the woman on the early seasons of Frasier who often served coffee to Frasier/Niles at Cafe Nervosa.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ByTor said:

Even though I thought the haunted house date was lame, I thought Jasmine constantly snarking on the non-existence of ghosts was even more lame.  Applause for whoever it was that shouted "Shut it, Jasmine!"  For the record, she's been due a "shut it" for a long time, I thought she was a snarky snot back from her Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader days & never ever understood how she made it.

Jasmine had a good storyline, added much needed diversity and had enough ability to keep her on the squad for three years. If you're not a fan though, watch Season 10 (I think? Her rookie year was season 7) and you can watch her get the boot at auditions, much to her shock. 

I liked her a lot that very first year - seemed very humble and excited about the opportunities in her life. And I haven't minded her too much on The Bachelor...she's one of the reasons I tuned in this season. Couldn't miss the BSB episode!

She was definitely obnoxious at the haunted house, but maybe off camera she was asking the same questions as all of us about slaves that were once on that plantation too. The constant cocktail in her hand probably didn't help! 

There are some excellent ghost tours in NOLA, some of them just good campy fun and others more haunting like Madame LaLaurie's house.  That place is creeptastic.  Heaven forbid this show do something culturally relevant though. I will say Boo seemed consistent with any other haunted/ghost/voodoo tour operator I've ever seen though. They're always so over the top!! 

ETA - oh hey, ByTor! You already know all this DCC crap. I should have paid more attention to who I was quoting ? Oh well, FYI for anyone else. 

Edited by kalibean
Bc ByTor is already a DCC expert.
  • Love 1
On 2/2/2017 at 9:27 AM, kingshearte said:

At this point, I no longer care if Corinne is for real, or the degree to which she is prodded and/or created by the producers. I've had enough Her cutesey baby-sexy voice is just gross and I no longer want to listen to it.

I know I've crossed into "grouchy old man" territory because instead of seeing an attractive, sexy, young woman, I'm constantly yelling at my TV saying things like "What kind of parents does this hussy have?" and "Good Lord, have you no shame you vixen?". Ugh...

• Love 7
16 hours ago, ByTor said:

Haha expert?  You give me too much credit, @kalibean :)  I didn't see the Jasmine cut (Xfinity, ugh), but even though I'm not a fan I did feel bad for her, I have a feeling she got blindsided.

Oh, she did. Everyone was shocked. But you know, all things happen for a reason and God has a plan and there are bigger things out there for her...like being a GSW dancer for a season and going on The Bachelor :) 

• Love 1

As a card-carrying hard-bitten cynic for whom ironic distance provides a convenient means of self-protection as well as a nice perch for watching the world go by, I nevertheless appreciated a member of this august forum getting in touch to inquire about my absence this week.  No names mentioned but thanks.

Tardiness and travel mean I just watched the episode in blissfully condensed form last night (while I celebrate a second Thanksgiving in February I must also acknowledge the selfless efforts of those faceless Internet denizens who make such viewing possible without relying on the network and its balky, intrusive, money-grubbing app).

The Bachelor (person) and this season of The Bachelor (show) almost defy conventional analysis.  Nick is a cipher; a passive I’ll-be-whatever-you-want-me-to-be milquetoast who appeals to the 21st Century females mostly for his utter lack of intimidating alpha male spine but who frustrates them in equal measure since he refuses (and probably fears) commitment.  Even the obvious frontrunners among the ladies are literally scratching their heads over his shape-shifting approach to romance (?).  In one encounter he may be intensely focused and speaking clearly; in the next his eyes dart about the room as if he’s had one too many Red Bulls and his lisp returns with a vengeance.  The extent of his physical contact is the grasping of a hand or the absent-minded stroking of a forearm along with, of course, the straight-on lip lock.  We don’t see hugs.  We don’t see cuddles.  We don’t see Nick reclining a la Brad Womack and throwing a strong protective arm over a lady’s shoulders while she rests her head on his chest, something we probably all have done instinctively.  He is, without a doubt, an odd duck made even odder by the Fleissians’ insistence on foisting him on the viewing public repeatedly.

But the Fleissians’ curious fascination with Nick is nothing compared to their fascination with Real Housewives-type bitchiness and open hatred albeit the kind prompted and edited to make it look as bad as possible.  The Corinne Show has been recast as The Corinne & Taylor Deathmatch with Nick in a rather unsupportive supporting role.  He can’t handle conflict in his own life and having to referee Bizarro Betty & Veronica’s battles is well beyond his modest abilities.  The producers may as well engrave a rose stem with Corinne’s name in the first five minutes of each episode since they obviously believe she is ratings gold.  Taylor, who probably never stood a chance of advancing to the late rounds, is spared the quick limo ride to the airport and instead is inexplicably informed of Corinne & Nick’s location and given a ride there.  In the previews for next week we see the usual vehicle door slamming and some cryptic references to ‘both/two girls going home.’  A sensible Bachelor might well wash his hands of the troublesome pair and get on with Finding A Wife (TM) given the narrow window of time but this is Nick we’re talking about.

The RC outcome was never in doubt.  Sarah’s figure in that dress did plenty of talking but it fell on deaf ears.  She was tearful but unsurprised.  Astrid and Nick passed like two strangers in an airport.  A bit of blue language auf Deutsch would have been delicious and might have even got by the censors.

Back at the Haunted Mansion group date, Nick manages to miss the entire point of the exercise which is to protect one or more girls from the eeeeeeevil spirits via a hug, hand-holding or words of encouragement.  He apparently needs cue cards or intense coaching for every scene in this film.  They are so bored even in his presence that they get the Ouija board out.  Memo to Jasmine:  if you apply now you can probably get your TSA Precheck application approved before your flight back to Texas but book your airfare now to obtain the best price before your inevitable departure.

Danielle M, recipient of the Vanishing Act edit since her triumphant first date, manages to snag the rose.  Danielle L in particular is not impressed.  Whitney looks more magnificent with every flash-frame she’s in – again, she would be an easy finalist paired with almost any previous Bachelor but not this one.  In fact, Nick had his hands tucked up his sleeves while conversing with her (!?!) such was his level of discomfort.  Kristina does her level best to stay relevant and visible and Vanessa gets a fair amount of individual close-ups.

Rachel may be genuinely interested in Nick but she is more genuinely interested in competition and winning.  She’s a hard charger by nature and the influence of her demanding father is obvious – note that Nick is already cowed by him and he hasn’t even met him yet!

It borders on cruel to confine the other Bachelorettes to a hotel in the French Quarter of all places – perhaps the producers were afraid that they might enjoy themselves a bit too much if set loose on Bourbon St and possibly meet a top bloke who would make them forget all about Ol’ Whatshisname.

It’s hard to imagine a less romantic place than the Louisiana Bayou with man-eating alligators, venomous water moccasins and an infinite number of mosquitoes.  The miracle of modern technology means that a small GoPro camera mounted on the skiff’s bow can replace an entire camera crew and obviate the crew moving in and out of the Bachelor’s boat to get various shots.

Corinne's room service dinner was massive - she tucked right in.  Her bath routine was hilariously cringeworthy.  The sexually charged symbolism of the champagne overflowing out of the neck of the bottle has been employed in hundreds of Playboy pictorials.  Or so I'm told.

And so, another To Be Continued.  No RC.  Presumably the C&T catfight will be concluded and we know from the first episode’s season preview that Nick’s dalliance with Liz will be revealed to the consternation of all – including Nick, who was there when it happened.  Either this guy is so bad in the sack that he feels guilty afterward or he’s putting on the alligator, er, crocodile tears so the upset girls don’t think he actually enjoys sex.

Edited by Rainsong
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Rainsong said:

It’s hard to imagine a less romantic place than the Louisiana Bayou with man-eating alligators, venomous water moccasins and an infinite number of mosquitoes.

Which reminds me...Corinne seems to like bugs about as much as I do.  How the hell does she manage to live in Florida???