Type keyword(s) to search

Superman Movies

GHScorpiosRule
  • Start Topic

I could have sworn that we had a topic for all Superman movies (including the few straight to dvd movies) like we do for Batman, but I couldn't find it. I went through all pages in this forum.

Thought that there should also be a place where we can discuss The Christopher Reeve movies, and also the Routh and hopefully more than one Cavill movies. Though at this point, I doubt we'll ever get another stand alone Cavill Superman movie.

Anyhoo. I just finished watching the first two of the Donner movies, meaning I watched the Donner cut of Superman II, and the Routh one, to see if I didn't give it a fair shake the first time I watched it. And nope, it's still bad. And it shouldn't have been. I thought Routh was a good Clark and Supes, even though his movie was more an homage to the Reeve movies than one where he could have been the next Superman, if that makes sense. The script and story was one big giant mess. We know from the theatrical version, that Clark gave Lois that kiss that made her forget everything? Did he also go back in time to erase all that happened? And if he did, how in hell did Lois get pregnant? Because Jason was totally his kid. And poor Cyclops. Err, I mean James Marsden. I'm just grateful he wasn't turned into a bad guy. So that's all I have to say about Superman Returns. Oh wait. No. I have more. I did like some of the special effects--Supes saving Air Force One, bullets bouncing off his gorgeous gorgeous eyes. Oh and waste of Kevin Spacey.

Watching the Donner movies, sigh...just makes me miss Christopher Reeve, and I know I'm going to sound wishy washy, but he is the definitive Superman for me, the cheesy factor of the extras notwithstanding.

Again, though the final scene of Clark going back to get "revenge" on that obnoxious bully in the diner, makes no sense. Considering that him beating up Clark never happened, and yes, he's an asshole, but he has no clue why Clark beat him up. I've never read or seen anyone ever address that.

I need to see if my cable provider has the other movies, because I barely remember them.

But the first two are really the best. And bittersweet to see Reeve's Superman flying around the Twin Towers.

And Terence Stamp's Zod is just a delicious villain I love to hate.

"Rise. No. Kneel. Kneel before Zod."

I wish that we'd gotten more fight scenes between Zod and Supes.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Brandon Routh tried. I blame that suck-fest on the writers alone. And whoever cast Kate Bosworth.

I happened to hear the "Can You Read My Mind" song from the original movie. Immediately starting welling up. It's been almost a decade and I still miss Christopher Reeve.

If it hadn't been for the Bat vs Supes shitshow, the Cavill Superman movies might have stood a chance. I at least liked that version of Lois and Clark better than the other versions.

• Love 3
Just now, Spartan Girl said:

I blame that suck-fest on the writers alone. And whoever cast Kate Bosworth.

Yes! I saw who the two writers were and they looked like they were 12 years old, and clearly had NO CONCEPT of who Superman is. And ditto on the flat, wooden Bosworth. It's not as if she and Supes were a couple (the movie is ambiguous about that, but I'm going with NO based on Singer's statement this happens after Superman II) and boo hoo, he didn't say good bye to her when he left. She acted like a bitter, vengeful, spurned ex-girlfriend.  And who takes their child to someplace where she hasn't been invited, and is trespassing, to boot? Add horrible mother to lousy reporter and human being.

• Love 3

Yes, poor Brandon Routh became a scapegoat of a crappy film and poor casting (frankly, I've never understood why Bryan Singer continues to work).  Kevin Spacey as Lex? Nope.  Despite Gene Hackman not having much to work with, he had more gravitas. Bosworth wasn't the only miscast.  Lois having a child was laughable, if only because she shouldn't know Clark was the father.    

Henry Cavill has become another one.  I don't think he needs to be the definitive Superman - the genre is way too saturated now. I thought Man of Steel and BvS brought up some interesting conflicts and questions, but they couldn't just limit Batman to a cameo. I've read that Affleck was the best thing about the latter, which makes me scratch my head.  I mean, he was fine, but I just didn't give much of a damn about Bruce Wayne/Batman's feelings in this context.  It'll be interesting to see how Justice League does.  At least if that fails, then the studio can't scapegoat Cavill. I doubt we'll get another solo Superman movie. WB/DC is too busy dick-measuring with Marvel, and opted not to cultivate their own vision. Plus, it's now all about team-ups and crossovers. 

As I mentioned in another thread, the Lois and Clark "love story" of the first two films don't work for me.  Clark is overall kind of dumb in Superman II save the end, and Lois is a child trapped in a woman's body. Still, Terence Stamp is damn entertaining as Zod.  Again, gravitas and menace without crazed scenery-chewing, which seems to be what Michael Shannon decided to channel.  Antje Traue stole the villain show. 

I will always, always love the score of the original films. I can listen to the opening theme without watching the films, and it just makes me happy.  Not sure why it touches me so.      

Edited by ribboninthesky1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

Yes, poor Brandon Routh became a scapegoat of a crappy film and poor casting

He was also stuck having to do more-or-less a direct imitation of Reeve's Superman / Clark.  Tyler Hoechlin on Supergirl played a similar interpretation at the start of the season, but he wasn't having to do such a direct copy so it worked better.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I could have sworn that we had a topic for all Superman movies (including the few straight to dvd movies) like we do for Batman, but I couldn't find it. I went through all pages in this forum.

Thought that there should also be a place where we can discuss The Christopher Reeve movies, and also the Routh and hopefully more than one Cavill movies. Though at this point, I doubt we'll ever get another stand alone Cavill Superman movie.

Anyhoo. I just finished watching the first two of the Donner movies, meaning I watched the Donner cut of Superman II, and the Routh one, to see if I didn't give it a fair shake the first time I watched it. And nope, it's still bad. And it shouldn't have been. I thought Routh was a good Clark and Supes, even though his movie was more an homage to the Reeve movies than one where he could have been the next Superman, if that makes sense. The script and story was one big giant mess. We know from the theatrical version, that Clark gave Lois that kiss that made her forget everything? Did he also go back in time to erase all that happened? And if he did, how in hell did Lois get pregnant? Because Jason was totally his kid. And poor Cyclops. Err, I mean James Marsden. I'm just grateful he wasn't turned into a bad guy. So that's all I have to say about Superman Returns. Oh wait. No. I have more. I did like some of the special effects--Supes saving Air Force One, bullets bouncing off his gorgeous gorgeous eyes. Oh and waste of Kevin Spacey.

Watching the Donner movies, sigh...just makes me miss Christopher Reeve, and I know I'm going to sound wishy washy, but he is the definitive Superman for me, the cheesy factor of the extras notwithstanding.

Again, though the final scene of Clark going back to get "revenge" on that obnoxious bully in the diner, makes no sense. Considering that him beating up Clark never happened, and yes, he's an asshole, but he has no clue why Clark beat him up. I've never read or seen anyone ever address that.

You're conflating the endings of Superman I and Superman II.

It was only in Superman I that Superman went back in time, and he did so solely to prevent Lois from dying in the earthquake caused by the rocket that struck the California fault lines.  It was in Superman II that he got beaten up as Clark by the bully in the diner (after voluntarily sacrificing his powers so he could live a normal life with Lois), and it was in Superman II that he as Clark got revenge on the bully after his powers were restored.  And the kiss that supposedly wiped Lois' memory that Clark and Superman were the same man?  That happened at the end of Superman II, not Superman I, because Lois didn't even find out they were the same person until Superman II.  Superman never changed history in Superman II because he never went back in time in that movie.

Edited by legaleagle53
11 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

You're conflating the endings of Superman I and Superman II.

It was only in Superman I that Superman went back in time, and he did so solely to prevent Lois from dying in the earthquake caused by the rocket that struck the California fault lines.  It was in Superman II that he got beaten up as Clark by the bully in the diner (after voluntarily sacrificing his powers so he could live a normal life with Lois), and it was in Superman II that he as Clark got revenge on the bully after his powers were restored.  And the kiss that supposedly wiped Lois' memory that Clark and Superman were the same man?  That happened at the end of Superman II, not Superman I, because Lois didn't even find out they were the same person until Superman II.  Superman never changed history in Superman II because he never went back in time in that movie.

No I'm not. In the Donner cut of Superman II, there was no kiss; there was no Lois in Paris. At the end you saw him reversing time so that Zod and his minions never escaped the phantom zone. It was the same thing that happened in the first movie-events going in reverse so they never happened.

So there is no scene of Supes flying to replace the top of the White House with the Flag at the end. So Clark going back to get revenge on the bully when the bully beating him up never happened, makes no sense.

Now the theatrical release? Where Clark wiped Lois's memory with a kiss? It makes sense why he went back to the diner, though it disappointed me that he did that.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

No I'm not. In the Donner cut of Superman II, there was no kiss; there was no Lois in Paris. At the end you saw him reversing time so that Zod and his minions never escaped the phantom zone. It was the same thing that happened in the first movie-events going in reverse so they never happened.

So there is no scene of Supes flying to replace the top of the White House with the Flag at the end. So Clark going back to get revenge on the bully when the bully beating him up never happened, makes no sense.

Now the theatrical release? Where Clark wiped Lois's memory with a kiss? It makes sense why he went back to the diner, though it disappointed me that he did that.

Oh, well, I never saw the Donner cut of Superman II, only the original theatrical release, which didn't have any second time-trip in it.  I wonder why Donner changed the ending of Superman II in such a radical fashion?  THAT is what makes no sense.  Did people hate the original ending of Superman II that much?

(edited)
3 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Oh, well, I never saw the Donner cut of Superman II, only the original theatrical release, which didn't have any second time-trip in it.  I wonder why Donner changed the ending of Superman II in such a radical fashion?  THAT is what makes no sense.  Did people hate the original ending of Superman II that much?

It wasn't just the ending they changed. There was more footage of Marlon Brando-the theme seemed to be about fathers and sons. There was no Lara telling Clark that he shouldn't be with Lois because she was human. And they used the screen test where Lois shoots Clark to prove he's Superman(though unbeknownst to him it was blanks) and not him tripping over the bear and his hand landing in the fire.

Plus the scene where she jumps out the window of the Daily Planet, in front of Clark, so sure he's Supes, that he'll save her. He does, but by moving the fruit stand below the awning which he released, and using his super breath. So Lois looks the fool covered in watermelon.

They filmed both I and II simultaneously and II was completed for the most part, but they had to release I. And I can't recall why Donner left and the new director had to cobble scenes and finish the ending the way he did.

And as it turns out, we learn in the horrid IV-Quest for Peace that Lois remembered EVERYTHING. Then as Supes, he kisses her again, and again, her memory is wiped. I guess the kiss while wearing the costume was the trick to making the memory wipe work.

Speaking of which, man that last movie was terrible. Nuclear Man came off as Marvel's Hulk, with his one note roaring and "Must destroy Superman!" Except he was so bad and not in a so bad he was funny, way.

I'd only seen the last 10 minutes of it before so this was the first time I'd seen it in its entirety. 

And III was also cheesy-very much like a comic book with the ridiculous villain and the special effects. And I must have missed the part when I first watched it, when Clark gave Lana a diamond ring. All these years I thought he'd proposed to her, when in fact he just crushed coal to reveal a honking sized diamond and put it in a ring setting to give to her from "Superman" to replace the diamond ring Lana had pawned. Plus she was wearing it on her right hand when she met Lois. And now Lois's reaction makes sense in light of the fact her memory from II was still intact.

Plus Ma Kent had died between II and III, and in IV, Clark is selling the farm!! I don't know why I thought he still kept it and that I assumed Ma was still alive. Boo!

They should have stopped after the second movie.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

They should have stopped after the second movie.

No argument there, since they made II into an entirely different movie by not only changing the ending, but most of the entire storyline as well (and III and IV were bad enough as they orignally were, let alone after they were also apparently butchered).  And don't get me started on Supergirl.  I had really looked forward to that one, as Supergirl is one of my favorite DC characters, but their take on her origin and that ridiculously campy plot? No, just -- NO.

• Love 2
(edited)

So I just watched the Christopher Reeves Superman I and II and I’m conflicted about Donner’s cut, which was supposed to be and really is part II of the original. But Donner was fired or something and so  Richard Lester made up whatever was left undone when he took over.

For me? As much as I love Brando, just TOO MUCH of him in II

And while Reeves was just awesome in that screen test Donner’s cut had to use, in showing his transformation from Clark to Supes, I think it was better done in the Lester version, when he tripped and his hand wasn’t even burned.

Then there’s the turning back time again. And Clark getting back at Rocky, who never kicked his ass. So this asshole doesn’t know why Clark tossed him into the pinball machine. 

Now I’m gonna watch the Lester version because I can’t quite recall the fight with Zod or how that ended.

But as far as Jonathan Kent goes, Glenn Ford was THE BEST. Snyder and Costner can just eat rocks.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2
54 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And while Reeves was just awesome in that screen test Donner’s cut had to use, in showing his transformation from Clark to Supes, I think it was better done in the Lester version, when he tripped and his hand wasn’t even burned.

Yeah but Donner Lois is was definitely smart to fake out Supe with a gun full of blanks. Margot Kidder was great in that moment. 

Still can't believe she's gone.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Yeah but Donner Lois is was definitely smart to fake out Supe with a gun full of blanks. Margot Kidder was great in that moment. 

Still can't believe she's gone.

I know. And since he was immune to bullets, didn’t even know it was a blank.

But I don’t know who irritates me more-that moronic kid, playing one hand two hand before he slips and falls into the Falls, or his moronic and neglectful parents, who couldn’t be bothered to keep a closer eye on him even AFTER Clark warned him the first time. And he was on the other side of the tail then, too!

Juat watching that makes me miss seeing Niagara. Adding to my list to go revisit once this pandemic is over and it’s safe. 

• Love 1

The Reeve/Kidder movies are the reason Superman and Lois are now considered one of the great fictional romances because for years in the comic books they actually weren't. Pre-Crisis especially in the Silver Age, Superman enjoyed fooling Lois by pretending to be wimpy Clark Kent, whom she despised. She was a pest who would deliberately put herself in danger so Superman would save her and she could trick Superman into marrying her. It wasn't a really healthy relationship!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

The Reeve/Kidder movies are the reason Superman and Lois are now considered one of the great fictional romances because for years in the comic books they actually weren't. Pre-Crisis especially in the Silver Age, Superman enjoyed fooling Lois by pretending to be wimpy Clark Kent, whom she despised. She was a pest who would deliberately put herself in danger so Superman would save her and she could trick Superman into marrying her. It wasn't a really healthy relationship!

I don't care about that. Because I never read the comics as a kid; I did, however, watch the Fleischman cartoons and the George Reeves' Superman show, and while they never showed them as a couple or that Superman was in love with Lois, I do remember one episode where Lois dreamed that she and Superman would get married--how he got her a raw diamond and turned it into a ring.

And that explanation above is the standard du jour of heroes hiding their secret identities across the board.

And for all that Donner wanted the romance/love between Superman and Lois to be the main focus, both he and Lester's version end up with Clark/Superman turning back time/giving Lois that kiss, so she would forget that she ever knew that Clark is Superman. 

But I'll take Margot Kidder's tears and being jealous at the world for it needing him more than the INSULT of the attempt of Smallville trying to do the same.

• Love 3

On the one hand it sucked that Donner was fired and we didn't see his version of the second movie done properly. On the other the turning back the Earth(which has always been dubious in terms of science) has way more impact because Superman wanted to bring Lois back to life.

29 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

On the one hand it sucked that Donner was fired and we didn't see his version of the second movie done properly. On the other the turning back the Earth(which has always been dubious in terms of science) has way more impact because Superman wanted to bring Lois back to life.

In Donner's versions, he went back in time TWICE! In the first part to bring Lois back to life; and the second one to make her forget she knew his secret. But also to erase Zod's attempt at taking over.

Like I said in my original post last night--it makes Clark look bad for beating up that asshole Rocky, because Rocky beating the shit out of Clark never happened by him turning the time back. And doesn't put Clark/Supes in a good light.

And I actually prefer the fight at the Fortress of Solitude in Lester's version. Plus the Fortress remains intact.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

In Donner's versions, he went back in time TWICE! In the first part to bring Lois back to life; and the second one to make her forget she knew his secret. But also to erase Zod's attempt at taking over.

It's been years since I watched the Donner version so I might be getting some of the details wrong, but I think it was mentioned in the commentary or in an extra that the turning back time ending was originally filmed for Superman II. They decided to use it for the first movie at the last minute because it was a good ending and they had doubts that the first movie would do well.

As for him beating up the guy after reversing time, I'm not a huge fan of that scene but I can live with it.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Captain Carrot said:

It's been years since I watched the Donner version so I might be getting some of the details wrong, but I think it was mentioned in the commentary or in an extra that the turning back time ending was originally filmed for Superman II. They decided to use it for the first movie at the last minute because it was a good ending and they had doubts that the first movie would do well.

As for him beating up the guy after reversing time, I'm not a huge fan of that scene but I can live with it.

I don't watch with the commentary, so I'll defer to your memory!

Thing is, the Donner cut was released almost 20 years after the first movie--and they knew the first one did very well. So now we have Supes going back in time and changing history twice.

While it may seem like it was out of character for Clark to beat that ass Rocky, I too, can live with it. I mean, he only spun him around (which one could happen at a carnival ride), and just plop his ass on meatloaf? and push him into/onto a pinball machine. No real harm was done.

• LOL 1
4 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

On the other the turning back the Earth(which has always been dubious in terms of science) has way more impact because Superman wanted to bring Lois back to life.

I forget where I first heard this, but he’s not actually making the earth turn backwards.  He’s just flying so fast around it that he’s going back in time.  The planet only looks like it slows down and reverses because it’s our frame of reference in the shot.

• Useful 2
On 1/20/2017 at 6:08 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Thought that there should also be a place where we can discuss The Christopher Reeve movies,

"cheesy factor of the extras"????????

I'm sure most of you have probably heard by now.

"There are no small roles  -----  only small actors."

Burt's buddy in "Deliverance", "Rudy" 's dad, his excellent performance in "Network",

over 100 performances  ----  but he'll always be Otis as far as I'm concerned.

More of an annoyance than an actual threat

His tuba music "inspired" Bulk and Skull's theme over in "Power Rangers".

Rest in peace, Ned Beatty.

• Love 1
(edited)

While the Donner Cut (which I greatly enjoyed) undermined the whole Rocky scene, I have no problem with Superman teaching a piece of garbage like him a lesson.  And ultimately, Rocky could have backed away from that fight.  He threw the first punch...again.

I wish the Donner Cut hadn't of included that scene of him going back in time a second time.  The first one was already pushing it but I'll hand wave that, saying his grief was so great that he was able to do it but it wouldn't be something he would be able to physically do again.  It's the worst kind of cheat code for when Superman screws up.

No one was Superman like Christopher Reeves and I often wonder how great the DC Movie Universe would be if he could travel through time himself to be in it.  The Donner version, where Lois gets confirmation that he is Superman, is a wonderful scene (even if it's technically an audition).  The way Reeves goes from Clark to Superman through his body language is simply a fantastic bit of acting.

Speaking of Superman, RIP Ned Beatty.  A great actor who had an incredible body of work, particularly in the 70s.  He brought great humor to Superman as Otis and a very fun interaction with Gene Hackman.

"It's hard to believe that brain can generate enough power to keep those legs moving."

With Superman, Ned Beatty delivered superhero movies’ best lackey

When they wrote the Smallville Season 11 comics, they created a version of the Otis character for the series.

Sadly, so many of the actors involved in Superman are now gone.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 1

I had the pleasure of being in Donner's presence at a screening/Q&A for Ben Affleck's "The Accountant" of all things.  His work was my entry into "Superman" and his other films "The Goonies", 'Scrooged",  the Lethal Weapon films, the episodes of "Tales from the Crypt" he directed.  He was just the best of the best. 

• Love 2

No modern superhero movies would exist without his Superman.

He also insisted on it being an unknown actor. I think the reason no one has been able to compare to Chris Reeve's Superman is because he's still the only guy (before OR since!) to really convince us that Clark and Superman are two different people. And I think that's the magic and the key to his performance.

The guys who've played him since haven't really tried to do that. Maybe because they don't want to actively be compared to him and that would invite too much comparison, but I do think that is essential to the appeal of watching Superman on screen. Other people don't seem as dumb not to know or notice that it's Clark in the Donner movies, because he really does seem like a completely different person.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ruby24 said:

He also insisted on it being an unknown actor. I think the reason no one has been able to compare to Chris Reeve's Superman is because he's still the only guy (before OR since!) to really convince us that Clark and Superman are two different people. And I think that's the magic and the key to his performance.

Definitely. It was a case of “good concept, bad execution” when they had the two personalities split in half and fight each other in Superman III. He said in his memoir it was the one part of the movie that he actually liked.

• Love 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, ruby24 said:

He also insisted on it being an unknown actor.

I grew up in a CBS soap opera watching family.  I knew who Ben Harper was.  😉

Edited by MissAlmond
18 hours ago, ruby24 said:

The guys who've played him since haven't really tried to do that. Maybe because they don't want to actively be compared to him and that would invite too much comparison, but I do think that is essential to the appeal of watching Superman on screen. Other people don't seem as dumb not to know or notice that it's Clark in the Donner movies, because he really does seem like a completely different person.

I'd say Routh managed it alright, but he was in the position of having to emulate Reeve's performance, though.

• Love 2
On 10/4/2020 at 7:08 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

So I just watched the Christopher Reeves Superman I and II and I’m conflicted about Donner’s cut, which was supposed to be and really is part II of the original. But Donner was fired or something and so  Richard Lester made up whatever was left undone when he took over.

Well, not quite. They initially intended the movie to be a two-parter with Lex Luthor in the first and the Phantom Zone Villains in the second. The first was sppsd to end with Superman knocking the missile into space, freeing them and flying towards Earth. The second film features them and ends with him going back in time and changing the past so they were never freed in the first place. At some point during filming, Donner got fed up with the Salkinds and quit. Lester reshot enough of the 2nd movie to get credit for being the director, most of it is the silly parts. When Lester did the 3rd movie with Richard Prior, his silliness was undiluted.

• Useful 3

OH.MY.GOD.

Who the HELL thought Rainn Wilson was a good choice to play Lex!Fucking!Luthor????

Maybe because these three movies (Death of Superman, Reign of Supermen, JL Dark: Apokolips War) were hideous. I can’t believe that Alan Burnett is associated with these. 

BLECH  to that hideous costume for Supes and Diana in the first two. So glad we got back the traditional the more recognizable blue, yellow, and red costume for Supes. And Diana’s in the JL movie.

The other faint praise is that Hawkman* is here even in a non speaking role.

*Yeah, still bitter that DCAU[/] had him a s a crazy stalker just so Timm could do his GL and Shayera romance.

And continue to be BITTER that Conroy is overlooked to continue to play Bats. And stupid O’Mara keeps doing it.

• Love 2

UGH. THAT was supposed to be the last JL animated movie forever? BLECH. So, Flash, the MORON, has to do another Flashpoint, to undo all the carnage he caused...again? And I suppose we're all to assume it undid everyone's death?

Someone please just KILL ME with the "romance" between Supes and Diana. PTOOEY. I'm just glad they undid that crap, even if in The Death of Superman, there was a line how they used to have a "thing" or something.

But I will never get over or understand how Gleason (dude who apparrently replaced the awesome Andrea Romano) could cast Rainn for Lex. What was he smoking?

I was bored so went through and rewatched all the Superman, Batman and Justice League movies. Will post more in the JL thread.

The acting of both Reeves and Brando was freaking amazing in this scene. Much better than the version that Lester cut and was in the actual film.

I never could understand why Jor-el insisted that Kal-el aka Clark aka Superman should live like a monk, no attachments or anything.  That would be such a lonely life for him regardless. I am sure that Lois would have been able to keep the secret and able to live with him doing his Superman gig.  Jor-el himself had a wife and child. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, greekmom said:

The acting of both Reeves and Brando was freaking amazing in this scene. Much better than the version that Lester cut and was in the actual film.

I never could understand why Jor-el insisted that Kal-el aka Clark aka Superman should live like a monk, no attachments or anything.  That would be such a lonely life for him regardless. I am sure that Lois would have been able to keep the secret and able to live with him doing his Superman gig.  Jor-el himself had a wife and child. 

Agreed on all accounts. The acting I'd fantastic and it's cool to see Superman dressed as Clark. I say that because Reeves was so good at create seperate portrayal ls of both Superman and Clark  so sewing Superman dressed as Clark, or rather a civilian is a completely seperate look. If that made sense with how I wrote it.

This is one of Reeves best bits of acting in the movies.

Edited by benteen
  • Like 3
15 hours ago, greekmom said:

A related question is why Clark needed Jor-El's permission in the first place.  He's just lucky the Fortress came with a snowmobile, because that's the only way to explain how the two of them got back to civilization afterwards. 

It is kind of funny how Jor-El gives Lois a death glare at the end, and odd that Lois's reaction is so irrelevant they couldn't be bothered to give her a closeup.  Although I suppose it's possible Donner hadn't gotten around to shooting those before he was canned.

Edited by baldryanr
  • Like 2

Wait, what??? How, did in my multiple viewings of the original-did I miss that Mario Puzo of The Godfather fame-book and movies-co-wrote the script???

And I know it was difficult to imagine-as from Space the Earth looks all blue and green-but Krypton just looked like the moon-where did the populace live? Was it like animated Justice League series that there was habitable places for them to live and thrive and not just ice castles?

And on a purely shallow note-Marlon Brando* just oozed sexiness in his short bit as Jor-El.

*Unpopular opinion, I know.

On 7/26/2021 at 3:14 PM, Gharlane said:

Well, not quite. They initially intended the movie to be a two-parter with Lex Luthor in the first and the Phantom Zone Villains in the second. The first was sppsd to end with Superman knocking the missile into space, freeing them and flying towards Earth. The second film features them and ends with him going back in time and changing the past so they were never freed in the first place. At some point during filming, Donner got fed up with the Salkinds and quit.

Was it Donner's intention that Lois die at the end of one? Because he went back in time at the END of his version, which begs the question how Lois survived at the end of part one? It's all moot.

But no, Donner didn't quit. The Salkinds had been bitching about money, and how long it would take for filming to end. So the decision was made to release part one. And when they saw what a hit it was, THEN they fired Donner. This from more than one person in the interview of the making of the film in the first movie's blu ray special features. The reasoning makes no sense to me.

It wasn't until a clamoring of fans wanting to see Donner's cut, that he was able to work with Thau and put it together for a dvd release.

• Like 2
On 1/2/2024 at 12:14 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Was it Donner's intention that Lois die at the end of one? Because he went back in time at the END of his version, which begs the question how Lois survived at the end of part one? It's all moot.

No, originally, he was meant to have deflected the missile into space, accidentally freeing the Phantom Zone villains.

• Like 1

Watched the original movie on Prime recently. Still a classic. God, Christopher Reeve’s Superman was perfect. So warm and kind. The bit of getting the little girl’s cat from the tree was so cute (though I could have done without that bit of her bitch mother slapping her offscreen).

I will never get tired of that last flying sequence before the credits with that lovely smile. We did not deserve him.

I really hope the new documentary about him will be released on streaming very soon. I heard it’s great, but it’s probably going to rip my heart out.

• Applause 3
  • Love 2