Type keyword(s) to search

Devious Maids - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm getting more and more confused about Peri's murder. If Peter raped her and is Tucker's bio dad, what was his motivation for killing her some three or four years later? It looked like Peri walked in on someone and was surprised by what she saw, before she was murdered. I also don't understand why Rosie thought Peri was having an affair and whoever she was having an affair with might have murdered her. I'm not connecting the dots here.

Also, as nice as it was, the story Evelyn told Carmen made no sense. If the explosion last season made her realize the thought of life without Adrian terrified her, why did she go back to wanting a divorce from him when this season began? They almost made it sound like she didn't want a divorce until after she met Reverend Hamilton but she was trying to dump Adrian long before that.

I loved the little scene between Genevieve and Zoila because it reminded me how much I miss their little barbs. Genevieve can't believe Zoila is living with a man, Zoila chastises her about looking so surprised, then reveals the man in question is a total mama's boy. Genevieve: "Now I get it." Also, "Oh, is he your trainer too? Maybe he's not as good as I thought." For someone who's supposed to be glad to have her best friend back, maybe she should tone down the insults.

Also, Zoila never said Marisol was back together with Jessie. All she told Genevieve was that Jesse was Marisol's ex. For Genevieve to go to Peter and imply they were back together was either psychic on her part, or she was just stirring up shit. Shades of Erica Kane there.

At least I got confirmation that Peter was husband number three, not five. Still would like to meet number five!

• Love 2

Jesse told Genevieve he was seeing his ex, so I think she just put it together. He could have meant a different ex, but in this case she was accurate.

How did Doug retrieve information about Daniella's father in the last episode? He was just seen googling a bunch of stuff and, next thing you know, Daniella gets in contact with him. Is it supposed to be one of those "he's a nerd, so somehow he can get access to any bit of information" kind of plots?

After two weeks of vast improvement, this episode was really boring.

So, Peri was raped by Peter. I won't be surprised if he turned out to be Kyle's father to

Not happy that Carmen's boring and annoying daughter is back. But, I guess it had to happen. Can't wait to meet her dad to. Hopefully the actor's  casting will be better than the latter.

9 minutes ago, Giuliano Lanzilli said:

You meant Tucker's?

No, he's the father of both boys.

The mother told Peri's sister that they have many connections in the movie industry. So, maybe she has been cultivating alliances for decades.

I still haven't figured out why Tucker is the key? Maybe Kyle has some disease that we aren't clued in on yet, or Tucker's DNA will be used as blackmail against Peter.

(edited)
3 minutes ago, Milks26 said:

No, he's the father of both boys.

The mother told Peri's sister that they have many connections in the movie industry. So, maybe she has been cultivating alliances for decades.

I still haven't figured out why Tucker is the key? Maybe Kyle has some disease that we aren't clued in on yet, or Tucker's DNA will be used as blackmail against Peter.

Nope, he's way too young to be Kyle's dad. The show would never go there, it's ridiculous (not to mention the age difference with Francis). I don't think Kyle's father is relevant to the storyline at all...

Edited by Giuliano Lanzilli
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Giuliano Lanzilli said:

How did Doug retrieve information about Daniella's father in the last episode? He was just seen googling a bunch of stuff and, next thing you know, Daniella gets in contact with him. Is it supposed to be one of those "he's a nerd, so somehow he can get access to any bit of information" kind of plots?

Doug is the barista guy, right? Carmen told him about Dani's bio dad when they were in bed together. IIRC she was saying that she never told Lucas that she was pregnant, which is how barista guy got bio dad's name. He then passed the info on to Dani to spite Carmen after she dumped him. I can't think it would've been too hard for either Doug or Dani to track down Lucas - find out where Carmen went to school, look for Lucases, voila.

4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I'm getting more and more confused about Peri's murder. If Peter raped her and is Tucker's bio dad, what was his motivation for killing her some three or four years later? It looked like Peri walked in on someone and was surprised by what she saw, before she was murdered. I also don't understand why Rosie thought Peri was having an affair and whoever she was having an affair with might have murdered her.

Regarding why Peter would've waited several years before killing Peri, maybe she was going to tell someone, or maybe their working together on Marisol's movie stirred up some old shit. I feel like there's a missing puzzle piece we need for it to make sense. I think Rosie thought Peri was having an affair because of Tucker's parentage, and spurned lovers seem to make good murder suspects.

• Love 2

Perhaps the Circle has Peri's recording where she relays that she was drugged and raped?  The Circle would likely be extorting money from the rapist/movie studio guy.  They may be holding Tucker over his head because his paternity, combined with the recording, could be used as evidence of the crime.   And perhaps Peri walked in on movie studio guy doing the same thing to someone else and he therefore killed her. 

That's all I've got.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Giuliano Lanzilli said:

Nope, he's way too young to be Kyle's dad. The show would never go there, it's ridiculous (not to mention the age difference with Francis). I don't think Kyle's father is relevant to the storyline at all...

Calm down - its just a theory.

May not be Kyle's father. Could be her son - thereby he's brother.

No, it's all speculation because up until now there didn't seem to be any connection between Peter and the Circle. Now everyone's wondering how much more he might have to do with it.

I have to admit, I'm as baffled by this whole thing as I was by the mystery last season with the drug cartel and the slaughterfest in Taylor's living room. At least they're doing a better job with the mysteries than they did in the first couple of seasons.

On 7/26/2016 at 6:48 PM, AnnaRose said:

Perhaps the Circle has Peri's recording where she relays that she was drugged and raped?

That certainly seems to be the theory that Rosie is working under because I believed she referenced the "tapes" and suspects Peri potentially revealed who Tucker's father is in those tapes.  It's why she wants to see the tapes.

The leap that the rapist killed Peri was quite a big leap but didn't Rosie think Peri might have been ready to tell someone?

1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

The leap that the rapist killed Peri was quite a big leap but didn't Rosie think Peri might have been ready to tell someone?

The reason I thought that is because, if I am remembering correctly, Peri opened what was presumably a bedroom door during her party and looked surprised/aghast/alarmed.  It seemed that whatever it was she witnessed then lead to her being murdered.

Ooh, Dani is such a little brat. I suddenly care about that plotline, possibly because the Powell shenanigans were not a big focus this week. I hope Lucas and Carmen reconnect in spite of Dani but also... wasn't Carmen originally running away from a bad marriage in season 1?

I don't really care about Marisol and Jesse aside from the fact that he's nice to look at. I don't know where this sudden anger is coming from with Peter. I hope it's a red herring that he's the one who raped Peri and is Tucker's father but it probably isn't. It makes no sense for the character they've established so far.

I'm also not that into The Circle. They were mildly promising and I liked Fabian and some parts of the story but yeah, they're not a great cult as far as TV cults go. Not terribly sinister. Not terribly effective either. They just kind of exist to push the plot along slowly. Kyle is very cute (I was wondering what that actor did after Chuck) but again, that's pretty much it. Once this is done with, I don't think he'll even have the staying power of Jesse.

I wonder how the employer coming back will shake up Zoila's plotlines. She was just kind of there this week.

• Love 1

I remember the actor who plays Kyle from Chuck where he had the nickname Captain Awesome. He's just generically handsome. Like a Ken doll. I can see how he wouldn't be that appealing if you're just seeing the way they've characterized him on this show.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, dleighg said:

Maybe I'm just too old, but I don't see the appeal of Kyle at ALL. He's just too boyish with zero sex appeal. He does not seem "hot". OTOH Jesse is very cute.

I don't get it either.  Kyle is ordinarily handsome like a catalog model.  Jesse is HOT!!  

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't really care about Marisol and Jesse aside from the fact that he's nice to look at. I don't know where this sudden anger is coming from with Peter. I hope it's a red herring that he's the one who raped Peri and is Tucker's father but it probably isn't. It makes no sense for the character they've established so far.

Yeah, I could see him having trust issues because I think they said his marriage to Genevieve ended because she was cheating, but I don't see why he's raging out over it.  First off, it's not like Marisol is even worth getting that upset over.  Second, I feel like this is all coming from nowhere. 

I wonder how the employer coming back will shake up Zoila's plotlines. She was just kind of there this week.

Knowing this show, we'll see some "comedy" where Zoila tries to hide the truth of her situation from Kyle, he discovers it, gets mad at her for lying, then either accepts or dumps her. 

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 2

Marisol learns a secret from Genevieve's past; Zoila struggles to balance her love life and her demanding new boss; Danni seems to warm up to Carmen; Spence helps Rosie when Miguel begins acting out.

Killface is turning out to be the runaway MVP this season. Trying to scare Miguel straight only to be distracted by gummy bears? Hilarious. "The green one!" I also thought it was pretty funny when Miguel threatened his teacher with murder if he didn't get a better grade. I wish they had followed through with Genevieve training Miguel to be her new servant.

So it's the director, not Peter, who drugged and raped Peri, meaning he's Tucker's father and probably Peri's killer. Huh. Peter would have been more interesting, although when they threw that red herring at us last week I kind of wondered why Genevieve never knew about his violent temper, having been married to the man.

I thought it was kind of dumb that Zoila played "sexy maid" when Kyle and his mother caught her in their house - why didn't she just slip out the back door? But after thinking about it, I guess it's possible in a house that big by the time she raced down the stairs Kyle and his mother were already walking in the front door and that was the best she could come up with. I kind of like Fiona. "My clothes feel all stretched out, as though some big fat person has been wearing them."

I think it's a little trite that Evelyn still has feelings for Adrian after everything he's done to her but I guess they need to be kept in each other's orbit somehow. They wouldn't be as funny apart since they play off each other so well.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I think it's a little trite that Evelyn still has feelings for Adrian after everything he's done to her but I guess they need to be kept in each other's orbit somehow. They wouldn't be as funny apart since they play off each other so well.

Of course it doesn't help that her other love interests have turned out to be toxic or dull. By the way, I had to laugh at Adrian's PI taking pictures with that GINORMOUS camera in plain view in broad daylight... TV shows have such a misguided idea on how these people operate!

Now that we know it was the director who raped Peri, we also know that he'll try to have his way with Daniella as well, and Carmen will rescue her just in the nick of time and the two will reconcile as a result (zzzzzzzz). Anyway, I gotta say I like Carmen's mischevious daughter: I find the actress pretty (even more so with longer hair, ever since she came back from San Juan) and I like the sass she brings to the storyline... no way could she be compared to annoyingly useless and whiny Valentina! However, I still don't understand what Peri saw in that room that night (unless it was the director himself, which would be kinda dull, especially because nobody talked back to her when she opened the door, which would logically be the case if a person was in there) and how she got murdered right then and there without anybody noticing (despite the fact that the house was crawling with people). It doesn't make much sense to me, but I'm just not willing to get my hopes up with this show in the mystery department. Oh, and how does the Circle come into play in all of this?

Fiona was a bit disappointing to me: besides her annoying Aussie accent (or at least I assumed it was Aussie, since the actress is from Perth), which resulted in me only understanding half the things she said, she turned out to be yet another "rich bitch" walking stereotype, shooting dagger after dagger at poor Zoila. I seriously wanted to reach through my laptop screen and throttle her!

I can't possibly be the only one wondering where Gail's sudden attraction to Adrian came from, besides (of course) the writers' need to move the Powells' plot along. I mean, she used to be faced with hunky Jesse on a daily basis and never put the moves on him, yet they expect me to believe she (a woman, no less!) would be so aggressively pursuing Adrian? Nope, not buying it in the slightest!

I think Gail wants Adrian for his money.

I'm interested in how it wraps up next week. Rosie greatly annoys me this season, but her "Mr Spence" last night amused me.

4 minutes ago, deaja said:

I think Gail wants Adrian for his money.

As if she were poor... o.O 

By the way, has it already been confirmed whether this is gonna be the last season or not? I mean, you'd think they'd already know by now, having filmed the finale and everything. 

They've been slow to announce a renewal every year - we never know until well after the season ends.

I find Daniela highly annoying but I did get a kick out her following behind Carmen and imitating her walk.

Gail can't be too wealthy if she's working as an interior designer, so being after Adrian's money is plausible. 

Peri probably walked in on the director raping an unconscious woman similar to what he may have done to her and to Genevieve.  It seems like they are doing a 'Bill Cosby' type of story: drugging women, powerful man in Hollywood, etc.  Peri may have said she was going to call the police/report him.  The storylines are coming together.  I've enjoyed this season and hope that there's another one.

• Love 3

Unpopular opinion - as great as they are together -- it might be time to stop trying to make Adrian and Evelyn work as a romantic couple. Until the last episode she really did not seem that interested in him,  and most season it seemed pretty uneven with him trying to coerce her into a relationship she did not want.  Kind of had a vibe of I know you are saying no - but you mean yes and I will bully and manipulate you until I break you down.   I think it would be better if they just did the JR - Sue Ellen route - battling and still driving each other crazy but not together as a married couple.

Evelyn and the Rev was always a pipe dream. Fun while it lasted. I wish she had used  he's influence to get Deon back though.

Still hate Dani.

No surprise that the Director and Peter are rape buddies

Waiting for moment when Zoila chokes that near employer out.

For the last episode before the season finale this episode was boring filler. But, its on par with the overall season

I don't necessarily think Evelyn is in love with Adrian; I think she's in love with the drama, the excitement, the snark, the money,  etc that Adrian brings to the table.  I was really hoping the reverend was going to have a mysterious past. 

Miguel threatening to have Spence kill his teacher...ha!

Zoila's new employer is a beeyotch! I don't know why she just didn't quit...she's a good maid and could get another job very easily. 

I knew Peter wasn't the rapist. I think I would rather have Carmen get the call back.  Dani is a slut. I'm sure Dani would do whatever the director wanted to get a part. Carmen, however,  would not so that's who the director would have to drug if he wanted his way with her.  Do you know what I'm saying?  Plus, I don't want Carmen saving Dani and they live happily ever after.

I'm over The Circle, Captain Awesome, etc. I would like to see Genevieve's hairdresser though. They were great together! 

Can we have Jesse doing the gardening every week?? 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Milks26 said:

No surprise that the Director and Peter are rape buddies

We have no reason to think Peter is a rapist or supports him knowingly, do we?

Are we sure Peri's likely earlier rape and then murder are related?  I haven't seen every episode this season, but was it established that the director is connected to the circle?

I agree with a poster above that I also wish TPTB had let Adrian and Evelyn go their separate ways and stay apart.  I liked seeing Evelyn with the Reverend and wish there was more there than her just missing the excitement and craziness that comes with Adrian.  

I loved the meta scene where the maids were reading descriptions of themselves on the casting call sheet. I think Rosie's said "beautiful but oblivious" and Zoila was "cranky and older." 

Here's the thing though - that director wanted to make all kinds of crazy changes to the script, to the point of turning Marisol's character into a man disguised as a woman (played by Will Ferrell!) - so now that Marisol is off the picture, why isn't he going through with them?

Nice to see the pieces coming together, though it seems like they still have a lot of loose ends to tie up. Looking forward to seeing how they do it.

My favorite scene of the night had to be Marisol and Evelyn bonding over mushu. I love the strange friendship they've developed between them this year, even though they would never admit it to each other. The scene between Marisol and Genevieve, where the latter admits she was raped, was good too - La Lucci really brought it there.

Agree that watching the maids read about themselves in the casting call was hilarious, especially Rosie's oblivious reaction to being called oblivious ("Oh, that's nice!") Dani did a pretty good Carmen impression, though it was a really shitty thing to do. I can't believe Zoila will be working for Fiona for long, she's horrible. Zoila and Genevieve forever!

Evelyn suddenly realizing she wants Adrian back does seem rather… out of nowhere. And Adrian and Gail seem a little bit out of left field as well - is his friendship with Zoila gone and forgotten now? Regardless, the Powells are still two of the most entertaining characters on the show, so as long as they're front and center it's all good with me.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I loved the meta scene where the maids were reading descriptions of themselves on the casting call sheet. I think Rosie's said "beautiful but oblivious" and Zoila was "cranky and older." 

I liked how Zoilia really did not care about being called cranky and bossy (or whatever they said), but when they called her older...

45 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

The scene between Marisol and Genevieve, where the latter admits she was raped, was good too - La Lucci really brought it there.

Lucci's rise to soap diva Erica Kane probably had more to do with her comedic skills than her big dramatic scenes, but she can also do quiet, understated drama well.   The scene where she finally won her Emmy,  her daughter whispered into her ear that she hated her or blamed her, and she looked devastated that she had caused all this pain but joyous that her daughter was opening up.  It was not done fairly quietly, but Lucci sold it with a less is more approach.  Granted, there were 1000s of scenes were Erica did not do less is more...

On this show, I also thought she did a good job when she told Zoila about her kidney.  Her character quietly applying her make-up, acting relatively normal, just a little more subdued and a slight hitch in her voice that clearly showed she was scared.  I thought the scene with Marisol was interesting, in how it simply stated the larger issue of date rape not always being acknowledged, esp. in the not so distant past.  I am also glad they took the high road of Genevieve apologizing and opening up and Marisol realizing what had happened and being sympathetic instead of further escalating the fight.

• Love 2

I liked how Zoilia really did not care about being called cranky and bossy (or whatever they said), but when they called her older...

I genuinely laughed at the people trying out for the "Zelda" role in the movie. 

I'm very mixed on the rape storyline.   I feel like Genevieve may be the wrong character for that particular story.  

Gail can't be too wealthy if she's working as an interior designer, so being after Adrian's money is plausible. 

Doesn't she live in Beverly Hills, and had hired help last season?  I just figured she's someone who works so she has something to do, not because she needs the money. 

So the only reason for bringing Jesse back was for Marisol to use him and toss him aside again when she meets a rich, white man who didn't even have the decency to break up with her like an adult...just avoid her and hope she gets the message?   But he is supposed to be the mature one with whom she has so much in common?  Oh, I'm sorry she dumped him  when she realized that she was really in love Peter, who she knows nothing about?  No way he stays around for Carmen's daughter.  I'll miss Jesse if the show is renewed. 

Ditto---Evelyn gets away from Adrian with a decent black man and he gets tossed aside so she can return to the man that has psychologically abused her for years? 

The Circle is a "square" and the leaders get away with no consequences? 

We get another thought dead boyfriend/husband coming from another country? 

Rosie and Spence stay together?  Spence is boring and Rosie is annoying. 

Zoila is alone again- why didn't she get the minister....please no Zoila and Adrian!

Let's face it, I am back again next year as long as Evelyn is there! 

• Love 6

I'm convinced the producers read here- how many seasons have people here speculated she's the murderer? At least the last two!

Spence might have the worst luck of anyone ever. Amnesia, murder charges, wedding gets broken up by a shooting, putting up with Rosie's voice, etc.

I want the black and white striped dress Eveltn had on at the engagement party. Anyone have any idea where I'd find it? 

Anyway, the ending was kind of meh for me with Gail being the killer. I guess I just don't care enough about her character to really make it that important to me that she did it. It is kind of weird the circle people are gone with no consequences and killing that one guy really didn't mean anything in the end. I guess what would they have really done to them anyway, they were blackmailing that director but didn't have anything to really do with Peri's murder. 

• Love 4

I enjoyed this finale. Gail may have been out of the blue but I thought it was a fun twist to have it be someone who has been around for years and was always suspicious. 

Peter and Marisol didn't work for me.  I didn't buy her big love for him.  I think it would have been more interesting had it been revealed that he knew what went down with Genevieve and either a) still saw himself as the victim and/or b) covered it up for the money he brought in as a director. 

I do love the Powells and their love/hate relationship but they did push them kind of far this season.  I would prefer them to reunite eventually but I do think it'd be better to put that off at least another season....and I honestly think that they will.  They may have fallen into their old games but we did not see Evelyn answer the question as to whether or not they should stay married.  (BTW, if this was the finale, I really appreciate that it ended as it began with a disasterous Powell party.)  

But I don't think she agreed to stay with him mainly because of something that happened in the flash forward.  We saw Adrian glance over and Zoila and smile and Zoila looked a little ashamed.  If this were present day, it could be because of her fantasies but since it's a year in the future, something about that exchange made me suspect that something happened between them.

I am glad they didn't cliffhanger Spence's fate again.  

And Sharon Lawrence as Genevieve's date was brilliant casting.   

• Love 5

OH MY FUCKING GOD! It's as though they've been hearing my prayers all along, with them making Gail the killer! *___* By the way, that woman must be 7' tall! She was standing next to 5'9'' Mariana Klaveno, yet she was at least 10 cms taller... must be at least 6'!

Also Evelyn "Carmen, what's going on? Please, tell me no one was killed or dismembered!"... I peed myself!

PS: Was the woman at the shrink's office the actress who played Maisy Gibbons in DH? I recognized her by her voice.

• Love 1

I don't know if this was a season or series finale. Either way,  I'm a bit disappointed.

Gail being Peri' s killer was anti climatic. Maybe because it was so dragged out and too many red herrings. Did the director/Gail's father ever get arrested for raping Peri (or other women)?

What happened to Kill Face? Was he ever caught? 

What happened with Kyle and his mom and the Cicle? That seemed like a major storyline and then it's just dropped?

Daniella's father? What happened with that? 

Glad Zoila is back with Genevieve. Genevieve playing for the other team...ha!

I kind of liked the Powells being separated because they interacted more with other characters.

Marisol has been taken?  Lame...

• Love 1

I'm glad Zoila and Genevieve finally made up, and Genevieve's date was hilarious.

The Powells' divorce, sex, late arrival to Adrian's engagement party to someone else who has been arrested for murder was classic them.

Whoever took Marisol can keep her especially if they swipe Rosie next.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Giuliano Lanzilli said:

PS: Was the woman at the shrink's office the actress who played Maisy Gibbons in DH? I recognized by her voice.

Yes, that was Sharon Lawrence. If anyone ever question whether or not a cast member once appeared in Desperate Housewives, the answer is always "yes".

• Love 3

I thought it was kind of a mediocre finale. Overall I enjoyed the season but there were too many loose ends, especially regarding the Circle. They might not have killed Peri but they did kill Ben. What was all that business about Tucker "being the key?" Was it only because they were blackmailing Metzger into financing their whole organization, because they knew he was Tucker's father? And if Metzger was as famous as we were to believe, most of these characters have known Gail long enough to have known she was his daughter. 

I don't think they would have bothered casting someone as well known as Sharon Lawrence if they aren't hoping for another season. She's kind of a "big name" for just a one-off episode. But I'm annoyed with the experimental lesbianism thing. It's an unrealistic trope to have long-established hetero women going gay simply because they've given up on men. Jeez, I'd expect better than that from Marc Cherry.

I don't know if they'll get another season but this particular cliff hanger didn't exactly have me on the edge of my seat. Marisol is probably the character I care the least about. 

• Love 1

Also, what was the purpose of damn Fiona, other than to put an end to Zoila's charade and be yet another "rich bitch" walking stereotype? She LITERALLY showed up for 5 scenes and the writers never even bothered to explore her background, upbrining, business, personal life, etc. NOTHING! Do you think she'll be back next year and possibly be involved in the season mystery? If season 5 picks up where season 4 left off (and it kinda HAS TO, because there's no way the opener wouldn't feature the girls looking for kidnapped Marisol in her apartment), I'm thinking she HAS TO! I mean, they couldn't really be like "Yeah, well, 6 months have gone by in the meantime and she has moved away", since they can't have it both ways timeline-wise, right? Even though I've got a hunch they'll gloss over all that without a care in the world!

Overall, this finale had waaaay too many loose ends for my liking (even more than usual for DM's standards), but I kinda saw it coming that they wouldn't be able to logically explain so much in 40 minutes and I chalk it up to the season being shorter.