Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Sarah D. Bunting

S03.E09: Summer Friday

Recommended Posts

Brush with fame: This morning I was in the middle of Broadway trying to spot a bus, and when I walked back to the bus stop, I nearly crashed into Peter Herrmann. He was coming back from the gym. Even in baggy workout clothes and dorky glasses, he's very handsome. Amusingly (to me), he seems shorter in person. But then, I'm 6'.

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post

News flash, Josh: Unless you marry your kindergarten sweetheart, the vast majority of people you get together with have had a life before you. It's not an age thing. Ugh. 

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post

Yikes! 

I'll have to think on Liza's tat.  Felt a little like...branding.  But I'm sure someone can explain to me how that's an overreax.

And ohhhhh, even with the danger signs, let the therapist turn out to be more better than worse.

@dubbel zout!  Imagine all of us TeamCharles-s, screaming like banshees!!!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, rallymantis said:

I'll have to think on Liza's tat.  Felt a little like...branding.  But I'm sure someone can explain to me how that's an overreax.

I thought "branding," too. It's really gross.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I thought "branding," too. It's really gross.

I know, right?  Especially the look on her face as he was doing it.  And also because I can't remember if it's ever come up before (anyone know?) -- if so, okay I guess... if not, um, eeyyeeuuww.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I guess I'm smarter than Kelsey and Liza because I was yelling at my screen that they shouldn't tell EW about the new author when he hadn't signed anything yet. So it didn't surprise me to find out that Random House made him a better offer.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

This episode felt a bit like filler, but I did appreciate the jokes about Summer Fridays in New York, as they are the bane of my existence (I don't get them but I and my staff rely on people who do). 

Share this post


Link to post

I didn't think of the tat as branding and at least it wasn't his NAME or something (or was that part of the sketch, their names? hope not), and I think Josh is obviously more than just a fling, but still: getting a tattoo for a guy is rarely a great idea. hope she really likes it, no matter what happens.

Sutton F looked amazing in that vending machine swimsuit. But she still doesn't look remotely 26.

It's pretty squicky that Josh is so intent on being her 'first' at something. Even if she WERE 26, odds are she'd have already done most of the things that can be done in bed, and he still would not be her first. Everyone has a past, move on, weirdo.

Diana being dismayed at what that  romper thing the one staffer was wearing to the office --"I can smell the Banana Boat"--was funny, considering that Liza was wearing practically the same thing.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I'm wondering how Liza will explain the tattoo to Charles.  Of course I'm engaging in wishful thinking that she one day will be free and clear to get involved with him.  I agree, at least it wasn't Josh's name!

I also agree that this episode felt like filler.  It didn't hang together like the other eps. this season so far. 

@dubbel zout, re: the Peter Hermann Spotting, I'm jealous, I miss my days in NY and celeb. spotting!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
59 minutes ago, luna1122 said:

Diana being dismayed at what that  romper thing the one staffer was wearing to the office

It actually looked like a two piece outfit, some breezy shorts and a top that was tied just below her breasts, so that her midriff showed.  But it wasn't tight, the material was enough to flow a bit.  She was also wearing flipflops that you could hear slapping against her feet.

I hope Diana's new beau doesn't start analyzing everything.  That's one thing she should keep separate.  It would get old real fast.

Kelsey really did jump the gun there, but I can understand where she thought it was such a sure thing, since she was dating him and as far as she was concerned, giving him the big break that others wouldn't.  Big of her to accept defeat and let the guy have his moment.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Snarklepuss said:

I'm wondering how Liza will explain the tattoo to Charles.

She wouldn't have to explain it if she doesn't want to. It was an hourglass, I think, so she could just wave it away as something to remind her of the passing of time. 

1 hour ago, Hanahope said:

I hope Diana's new beau doesn't start analyzing everything.  That's one thing she should keep separate.  It would get old real fast.

I wish this wasn't being played so hard for laughs. The guy was sleeping in his office? Now he's going to squat at Diana's? She's too awesome to put up with this sort of crap.

1 hour ago, Hanahope said:

Kelsey really did jump the gun there, but I can understand where she thought it was such a sure thing, since she was dating him and as far as she was concerned, giving him the big break that others wouldn't.

She told EW waaaaay too much. No contracts had been signed, and she's savvy enough to know that anything can happen up to that point. (I think that was really the EW offices, btw. I've worked in the new Time digs downtown, and if the show didn't film there, they did a great job with the set.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, luna1122 said:

It's pretty squicky that Josh is so intent on being her 'first' at something. Even if she WERE 26, odds are she'd have already done most of the things that can be done in bed, and he still would not be her first. Everyone has a past, move on, weirdo.

 
 

HAHA! That made me laugh so hard. He is being a weirdo about it! Why is her past so much more a thing than his past? He's done/experienced things that she hasn't. I don't get that when it comes up in relationships or what it's about. Is it a possessive thing? Can't say I liked how she decided to appease him, though. 

Edited by msani19
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/30/2016 at 1:40 PM, dubbel zout said:

Brush with fame: This morning I was in the middle of Broadway trying to spot a bus, and when I walked back to the bus stop, I nearly crashed into Peter Herrmann. He was coming back from the gym. Even in baggy workout clothes and dorky glasses, he's very handsome. Amusingly (to me), he seems shorter in person. But then, I'm 6'.

Ohh, yum! Mariska Hargitay is one lucky woman. But I also think she is gorgeous! I too did not like how Liza appeased Josh. I would rather her be with Charles.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Josh gives Liza a pass to sleep with someone else because she's "missed out" on sex with multiple people.  Josh gets upset because Liza had a lot of sex with her ex-husband.  What the hell, Josh?  I really don't get Liza's attraction to this guy.  Didn't like the tattoo either because she did not look into it at all.

What will Charles have to say about Kelsey's big screw up?  She lost a lot of money and publicity for the company.  Why in the world would they let EW publish an excerpt before the deal was done?  That makes zero sense.

Oh good, next week is a pregnancy scare.  Just what we need.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Bottom line, Kelsey made a rookie mistake. Not as an editor, but as the head of an imprint. Expensive lesson learned, but if Charles can forgive her, she'll be okay.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Josh gives Liza a pass to sleep with someone else because she's "missed out" on sex with multiple people.  Josh gets upset because Liza had a lot of sex with her ex-husband.  What the hell, Josh?  I really don't get Liza's attraction to this guy.  Didn't like the tattoo either because she did not look into it at all.

I just rolled my eyes.  He's so freaking selfish.  You half expect him to tell her they can't have a child together because she's already birthed a kid.   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

 You half expect him to tell her they can't have a child together because she's already birthed a kid.   

Yes!  Because he wouldn't be the FIRST guy that got her pregnant. Or the FIRST to see her give birth.  He's presented as this evolved man who's very open, but he actually is a child who totally keeps score in the relationship. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

Aside from Josh initially being hurt that Liza had lied to him about her age, he's been depicted as being pretty accepting of the age difference. I think that this is partly because he didn't think of the implications (and partly because Liza is game enough to do things like go to festivals and other stuff that he wants to do). This week he finally showed some immaturity and insecurity about it, which I think would have been a realistic crack in their relationship - and that's why I'm disappointed that the thing he chose to get pissy about it something that isn't really exclusive to Liza's age. As was pointed out above, lots of girls Kelsey's age have done just about everything there is to do sexually so to me this isn't about Liza being older and having done stuff before she met Josh.

The other part that annoyed me is that Liza could have pointed out that she's had a lot of firsts with Josh and she's done things with him that she'd never done with her husband. Off the top of my head: the aforementioned music festival, playing adult kickball, and period sex. On top of that, I wish she had said she doesn't get jealous/upset because he's done other things first with girls he dated before he met her. Unless you're home schooled virgins in an arranged marriage, it's totally normal and expected that you have had other experiences before you became a couple. And I don't mean just sexually - it's called LIFE. You are supposed to experience things regardless of who you are dating. What's Josh going to be upset about next? That she ate at restaurants before she met him? That she drove a car before she met him? That she had been to a Trader Joe's before she met him?

But beyond all that, it doesn't matter how many times Liza has done something beforehand. If you are happy together, that's all that matters. Otherwise you will just drive yourself crazy thinking about who she did what with in her past. If you really want to be her first at something (I mean, besides the things mentioned above), then think of something you both want to do like skydiving or create a new experience. If one of you has already done it, add something silly to make it new, like go skydiving in Elvis costumes and then do some crazy air guitar on your way down.

In other words, quit being a pouty baby!

It pained me to see both Liza and Diana, both smart women, cave in to make the men in their lives happy. Diana is too smart to let that therapist manipulate her into letting him stay at her place. Giving him a free place to live is going to make it impossible to get rid of him now! I would be fine with Liza getting a tattoo if it were something she had expressed interest in before Josh pouting in this episode, but the look on her face said she was clearly just doing this to appease him.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

it's totally normal and expected that you have had other experiences before you became a couple. And I don't mean just sexually - it's called LIFE. You are supposed to experience things regardless of who you are dating. What's Josh going to be upset about next? That she ate at restaurants before she met him? That she drove a car before she met him? That she had been to a Trader Joe's before she met him?

Seriously. All those experiences make you who you are today. Josh and Liza might not have had any connection had they met earlier. He's supposed to be the more laissez-faire partner and should know that. It's tiresome to see him get cranky about this kind of thing. I know every generation thinks it's reinvented the sexual wheel, but he shows a huge lack of imagination if he thinks just because you've been married for a long time your sex life is vanilla.

34 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I would be fine with Liza getting a tattoo if it were something she had expressed interest in before Josh pouting in this episode, but the look on her face said she was clearly just doing this to appease him.

I don't think the show means it this way, but Josh is starting to feel possessive in a vaguely abusive way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, TVForever said:

Bottom line, Kelsey made a rookie mistake. Not as an editor, but as the head of an imprint. Expensive lesson learned, but if Charles can forgive her, she'll be okay.

Anyone else secretly hoping the book is a flop?  That would allow Kelsey to save face.   Liza hinted that it's not as good as Kelsey thinks it is to Josh.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I think the book is more the thing that will break up Kelsey and Colin.

Edited by dubbel zout · Reason: dude's name! it's in the first post, d'oh!

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, MortysCleaningLady said:

Anyone else secretly hoping the book is a flop?  That would allow Kelsey to save face.   Liza hinted that it's not as good as Kelsey thinks it is to Josh.

I was just coming in here to post that! Liza's reax has set it up for that to be a logical plot twist (if not, why even bother with her negative critique?).

I know Diana agreed to the therapist move-in with the words of her other therapist ringing in her ears.  But the further away from that ep I get, the more creeped-out I am by it.  I hope they don't take the predictable path, and that this guy actually falls for her and moves out to save the relationship.

And, I'd like a pony for Christmas!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I think Josh's insecurity is less about age and firsts and more about what David said to him at the hospital in the last episode. 

The tattoo thing is a bit squicky but IMO not really from Josh's side - I read it as being something she suggested. It's squicky because her motivations are all over the place, and the scene was shot to make it look like she was giving in to something she really didn't want, but have we ever seen Josh even mention the idea of wanting to give her a tattoo? Obviously he's thrilled to do it, but (unpopular opinion) I just don't see him as the bad guy in this situation. 

I don't know - the Liza-Josh-Charles thing is all kind of gross. The endgame is so obvious and I feel like the writers are making Josh look more and more unappealing so that Charles looks better, but I just feel bad for the guy - he's in love with her and she's all over the place. He's being immature and insecure but I think it's partly his age and partly because he can tell that something's up. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I like Josh, even tho he bugged the hell outa me this episode. He's cute, he's sweet, the age difference makes no difference to him. He has some problems, as do we all. But Liza is the one apparently pining for someone else (and handsome as I think Charles is, he's so boring to me). She knows Josh is in love with her. If she doesn't feel the same, or if she's just settling cuz she can't seem to have Charles, or if she's just along for a fun ride when he wants more....it's on her to end it and  not string the poor guy along.

Edited by luna1122
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/2/2016 at 3:36 PM, MissEwa said:

I don't know - the Liza-Josh-Charles thing is all kind of gross. The endgame is so obvious and I feel like the writers are making Josh look more and more unappealing so that Charles looks better, but I just feel bad for the guy - he's in love with her and she's all over the place. He's being immature and insecure but I think it's partly his age and partly because he can tell that something's up. 

I've thought and posted something similar myself about the show making Josh look worse so that Charles looks like the better choice.  Perhaps you're right that Josh's recent insecure behavior is because he can sense a change in Liza.  I've said that she has unexpressed feelings for Charles (and he for her) judging from the furtive glances they give each other and their at times uncomfortable interactions.  Perhaps Josh is picking up on that somehow.  And perhaps her age is still working on him in a delayed reaction.  I somehow don't feel that things have ever been "the same" between Liza and Josh since they got back together after that brief breakup at the end of last season. 

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I actually didn't read the look on her face as anything more than pain at the needle and wondering if she really wanted it (which a lot of people getting their first tattoos probably feel, having underestimated how much it will hurt).  It's not the worst pain ever, but it is sharp and unpleasant and really something you wouldn't generally do for fun (most people).

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/1/2016 at 9:55 AM, Hanahope said:

It actually looked like a two piece outfit, some breezy shorts and a top that was tied just below her breasts, so that her midriff showed.  But it wasn't tight, the material was enough to flow a bit.  She was also wearing flipflops that you could hear slapping against her feet.

I hope Diana's new beau doesn't start analyzing everything.  That's one thing she should keep separate.  It would get old real fast.

Kelsey really did jump the gun there, but I can understand where she thought it was such a sure thing, since she was dating him and as far as she was concerned, giving him the big break that others wouldn't.  Big of her to accept defeat and let the guy have his moment.

I don't always agree with Kelsey's actions but there have been some occasions where her intelligence and maturity at work impressed me. It's really a shame Liza didn't tell her the truth earlier because we've seen Kelsey's character evolve from someone who was teaching Liza to be 26 to someone who just happens to be 26. Not all 26-year olds are the same. 

On the other hand, I don't like her sleeping with that guy so quickly. Nor do I agree with most of her other dating decisions. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/2/2016 at 3:36 PM, MissEwa said:

I think Josh's insecurity is less about age and firsts and more about what David said to him at the hospital in the last episode. 

The tattoo thing is a bit squicky but IMO not really from Josh's side - I read it as being something she suggested. It's squicky because her motivations are all over the place, and the scene was shot to make it look like she was giving in to something she really didn't want, but have we ever seen Josh even mention the idea of wanting to give her a tattoo? Obviously he's thrilled to do it, but (unpopular opinion) I just don't see him as the bad guy in this situation. 

I don't know - the Liza-Josh-Charles thing is all kind of gross. The endgame is so obvious and I feel like the writers are making Josh look more and more unappealing so that Charles looks better, but I just feel bad for the guy - he's in love with her and she's all over the place. He's being immature and insecure but I think it's partly his age and partly because he can tell that something's up. 

I think it was something Liza suggested also. He has never been pushy about tattoos. 

Josh is ok. I can take him or leave him but I do think he really cares for Liza and I can understand why he's feeling and acting insecure. When you're in a relationship with someone, you can sense when things aren't 100%, even if you don't know why. Plus, so much of this is new to Josh and it's not all age-related. This is probably the most serious Josh has been about a woman so that's bound to make people a nervous at any age. Going to Liza's work events is also a change for him if people in his circle are in a different line of work. My hubby is much older than Josh and far more uncomfortable going to my work stuff. And one thing I agreed with Josh about was having to lie even in social situations. I really felt for him when he brought that up. Pretty much the only time Josh & Liza can be together in a social situation and not lie is if they're alone or with Maggie. If Liza's daughter (forgot her name) is around, they can't talk about Liza's work, even though her work is a big part of her life and the show.  

On 12/2/2016 at 3:04 PM, rallymantis said:

I was just coming in here to post that! Liza's reax has set it up for that to be a logical plot twist (if not, why even bother with her negative critique?).

I know Diana agreed to the therapist move-in with the words of her other therapist ringing in her ears.  But the further away from that ep I get, the more creeped-out I am by it.  I hope they don't take the predictable path, and that this guy actually falls for her and moves out to save the relationship.

And, I'd like a pony for Christmas!!

I hate that they can't find a suitable partner for Diana. She can still be Diana but if you're going to fix her up with someone, don't let it be losers or weird therapists. The guy is seriously creepy. She barely knows him and he's taking advantage of her. It makes her seem desperate. I like smart, sassy Diana (even if she's a little mean) but please don't make her dumb and desperate. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/1/2016 at 6:11 PM, Britty said:

Josh gives Liza a pass to sleep with someone else because she's "missed out" on sex with multiple people.  Josh gets upset because Liza had a lot of sex with her ex-husband.  What the hell, Josh?  I really don't get Liza's attraction to this guy.  Didn't like the tattoo either because she did not look into it at all.

What will Charles have to say about Kelsey's big screw up?  She lost a lot of money and publicity for the company.  Why in the world would they let EW publish an excerpt before the deal was done?  That makes zero sense.

Oh good, next week is a pregnancy scare.  Just what we need.

I've never had a tattoo but I would imagine it hurts or is at least uncomfortable, so her facial expression reflected that. 

I don't think Josh was upset because Liza had lots of sex with her ex-husband. Liza said that when you're married you try everything and it was a reminder that she's had a whole life (not just some experiences, but a whole life) before him, which is not the same as simply saying it's something she's tried but wasn't into.  Not sure how many guys at any age want to hear been-there-done-that. On the other hand, maybe Liza was trying to teach Josh that just because she hasn't had multiple partners doesn't mean she's missed out on anything. It's a fuzzy situation. He's young but it's mature of him to continue with Liza after her big lie. I don't think every time he's insecure it's because he's young or immature. He is in a tough spot. 

Kelsey is smart but not when it comes to relationships. Her mixing work and sex messed her up big time. 

On 12/1/2016 at 7:49 PM, txhorns79 said:

I just rolled my eyes.  He's so freaking selfish.  You half expect him to tell her they can't have a child together because she's already birthed a kid.   

It seems like she's the one who feels like that more so than Josh. When it comes to kids, she's more been-there-done-that. 

Edited by love2lovebadtv

Share this post


Link to post

It was a pleasant episode. Not funny but not hard to watch either. It mostly seemed to set up Diana with the therapist. 

Quote

It's pretty squicky that Josh is so intent on being her 'first' at something. Even if she WERE 26, odds are she'd have already done most of the things that can be done in bed, and he still would not be her first. Everyone has a past, move on, weirdo.

I didn't get this at all. Unless you're with a virgin, the likelihood of "firsts" is low. It seemed like an awkward way for the writers to get into the conversation and end up with the tattoo as a resolution. I kind of liked where it ended though. Since Josh is a tattoo artist, it seemed like the tattoo was a bit of an inevitability. I do wish it had been a bit more built up and a sweeter moment (like we really understood the meaning behind her tattoo, choosing it, etc.) but I feel like the writers aren't that excited about this relationship anymore.

Quote

Sutton F looked amazing in that vending machine swimsuit.

YES! It's for a very particular body type or I could see it selling out. It looked fantastic. There's no way it came from a vending machine.

Quote

Kelsey really did jump the gun there, but I can understand where she thought it was such a sure thing, since she was dating him and as far as she was concerned, giving him the big break that others wouldn't.  Big of her to accept defeat and let the guy have his moment.

I think they set this up well. She felt she was losing EW and so her mouth got away from her. And she's human so she had her little freak out at Mark (?) the agent and then let things go. I do admire the ways in which they've written Kelsey as being mature and professional. It's a nice turn from having an affair with the married author and all the other nonsense. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/30/2016 at 2:40 PM, dubbel zout said:

Brush with fame: This morning I was in the middle of Broadway trying to spot a bus, and when I walked back to the bus stop, I nearly crashed into Peter Herrmann. He was coming back from the gym. Even in baggy workout clothes and dorky glasses, he's very handsome. Amusingly (to me), he seems shorter in person. But then, I'm 6'.

 

I'm jealous!  I adore Peter Hermann.  By the way, he's 6'5" so he's quite tall (maybe not to someone who's 6 feet, though).

Share this post


Link to post

How did EW publish the excerpt... when the manuscript hadn't even been edited yet and seemed to be in somewhat rough shape (Liza said the writing was all over the place)? 

As someone who actually works in publishing, this show drives me crazy sometimes. 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×