Type keyword(s) to search

Daryl: Your Leading Man and Norman Reedus: the Actor

• Start Topic

If you check these lyrics to the EK song "This Is War" which I mentioned on the Beth thread, I think another possibility emerges:

Norman Reedus called EK a "magnificent actress" because he's frightened.

Genuinely, understandably frightened.

In the same way as somebody who had to work with a 30 year old Joan Crawford would be.

It's self-defense to throw her a compliment. Before she boards the no more wire hangers anywhere! train.

http://www.metrolyrics.com/this-is-war-lyrics-emily-kinney.html

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 3

If you check these lyrics to the EK song "This Is War" which I mentioned on the Beth thread, I think another possibility emerges:

Norman Reedus called EK a "magnificent actress" because he's frightened.

Genuinely, understandably frightened.

In the same way as somebody who had to work with a 30 year old Joan Crawford would be.

It's self-defense to throw her a compliment. Before she boards the no more wire hangers anywhere! train.

http://www.metrolyrics.com/this-is-war-lyrics-emily-kinney.html

This girl makes Taylor Swift look like Bob Dylan.  Here's the highlight of her song:

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!

POW! POW! POW! POW!

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!

POW! POW! POW! POW!

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!

POW! POW! POW! POW!

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!

• Love 3

Buzzfeed had a long, gif-heavy (NSFW gif at the bottom, so be warned) squeefest over hot men of 2014

I had to wonder who made up that list - a bunch of ninth-grade girls who are into dolphin-smooth, generic hunks? But then I saw the "buns" one at the end, and thought, "Nope, not young girls." Now I'm confused.

Daryl? It's his hair? Now I'm even more confused about who composed this list.

• Love 4

I had to wonder who made up that list - a bunch of ninth-grade girls who are into dolphin-smooth, generic hunks? But then I saw the "buns" one at the end, and thought, "Nope, not young girls." Now I'm confused.

Daryl? It's his hair? Now I'm even more confused about who composed this list.

I'm going with some metrosexual blogger living in the free apartment over his mom's garage. They seem to like dolphin smooth.

I don't understand Daryl's hair either. It doesn't fit in with the young overly groomed crowd.

• Love 3

I think there might have to be a recall on this Daryl figurine:

Is that a bolt, or are you just happy to see me?  :-)

Just wondering: when Herschel was patching up Daryl's wound from the arrow going through his side, why didn't he see the scars on his back? It may have been why Daryl covered up when Carol came in the room...but I would think Herschel would have said something.

• Love 4

I would think Herschel would have said something.

I somehow don't think he would say anything. He'd been around so long, seen so much, had problems of his own and WAS a doctor (a vet, I know) that I doubt he would comment, unless Daryl said something first. Now nosey ol' Dale would have been another story.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 3

I've been rewatching the show from the start, and the "evolution" of Daryl's hair is like a dream that slowly turns into a nightmare. I guess I could handle it being long, greasy and stringy, but that fresh-from-the-box dye job is just so weird. If they're going to keep dyeing it like that, then I need a scene where Daryl goes on a secret run to a ruined Sally Beauty Supply. I just need a back story for that dye job, man.

• Love 5

I agree. I like Daryl, and so I tend to sort of ignore whatever the fuck is going on with his hair. Just like I force out all thoughts about how godawful Michonne's long spongy locks must reek of zombie gore, because I like Michonne. But at least with Michonne, it's iconically built into the character. With Daryl, not so much. Whenever I watch early seasons, I'm always thrown, time after time, by how much early Daryl looks like how a character with Daryl's background and personality would look. Lack of a weird random greasy dye-job certainly never stopped his character from becoming enormously popular, so it just seems completely pointless.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 3

I have a feeling that the reason for the dye job is simple male vanity. NR is a middle aged guy who already has grey in his beard. He also has a 21 year old girlfriend. I'll bet that NR doesn't want to be seen with grey hair and has resorted to Grecian formula. There's absolutely no reason that he would keep the dye job during hiatus if it was JUST for work. What I don't understand is why a man with access to really good hairdressers (he used to be a model for heaven's sake) has such a BAD dye job. It doesn't make any sense.

• Love 5

I have a feeling that the reason for the dye job is simple male vanity. NR is a middle aged guy who already has grey in his beard. He also has a 21 year old girlfriend.

So many people don't seem to get that nature turns your hair grey for a reason. Dark, harshly coloured hair is aging. If he wants to dye his hair, he could have made it the same colour as it was in Se01. And the child-girlfriend? I'm sure they have just SO much in common. He can supervise his kid AND his g/f while they do their homework.

• Love 6

I've complained about that damn hair time and again because I just don't understand how the show runners would allow him to keep that hair color.  I, too, think it's vanity and in interviews I've seen of him it fits because he seems to want to be seen as super hip with the super hip hair cut to match.  But why allow him to dye his hair that color since it doesn't, at all!, match his original color?  Did they think we wouldn't notice?

I wish just one interviewer would ask an honest question about the reason his hair has changed color.  Sigh.  I need to stop obsessing about this and just get over it.

• Love 4

So many people don't seem to get that nature turns your hair grey for a reason. Dark, harshly coloured hair is aging. If he wants to dye his hair, he could have made it the same colour as it was in Se01. And the child-girlfriend? I'm sure they have just SO much in common. He can supervise his kid AND his g/f while they do their homework.

If he's dying it for his child gf, is he dying his pubes, too? They also turn grey.

• Love 3

You guys have hit a new low, sitting here discussing the colour and cleanliness (or lack of)  of NR's pubic hair, and I refuse to take part in it. So there...At least, I would refuse if I didn't have something to add to it and that is  this: I wouldn't care what colour, etc. it is, as long as it's there.

This trend of men shaving themselves as bald as a newborn really REALLY grosses me out.

• Love 8

You guys have hit a new low, sitting here discussing the colour and cleanliness (or lack of)  of NR's pubic hair, and I refuse to take part in it. So there...At least, I would refuse if I didn't have something to add to it and that is  this: I wouldn't care what colour, etc. it is, as long as it's there.

This trend of men shaving themselves as bald as a newborn really REALLY grosses me out.

I don't like dolphin smooth either.

• Love 2

I wouldn't know about that, but I like dolphins ... [/small voice]

I like dolphins too. But they're not supposed to have hair. People are, else hair wouldn't grow. So let it grow.

So sayeth a child of the 70s. ;)

• Love 5

But they're not supposed to have hair. People are, else hair wouldn't grow. So let it grow.

A voice of sanity in the wilderness. It's called a "secondary sex characteristic" and some women - like me - still don't want a man who looks like a prepubescent boy (or an alien), no matter how trendy it may be. Chest/facial/pubic hair, if you have them - yes!

Daryl, let that shit grow wild!

Okay, I've calmed down now.

• Love 4

I like dolphins too. But they're not supposed to have hair. People are, else hair wouldn't grow. So let it grow.

So sayeth a child of the 70s. ;)

Preachin' to the choir, here, Nash.  This girl has blonde peach fuzz all over, and shaved legs looked really weird with a dark tan, so I stopped doing it in the 70s.  Took it up again briefly during the pantyhose years, but OY, what a hassle.  Don't have the French pits (well, not that often), but for the rest, I say let it grow.  Except for the occasional loooong wild hairs growing out of my eyebrow, that is - pluck those suckers before they get in your eyes like Daryl's bangs.  :-)

That said, there were some naturally mostly hairless boys on the nude beach who were quite attractive - but they still had some decent pubes.  :-)

• Love 3

To continue to ruminate on his hair - do you think NR shows up with a week's worth of grease, or do they somehow make it look like that?  I can't imagine the poor hair and makeup people.  I'm a nurse and can handle most things, but a long-term unwashed head is one of the worst.  Can't stand it.

• Love 3

To continue to ruminate on his hair - do you think NR shows up with a week's worth of grease, or do they somehow make it look like that?  I can't imagine the poor hair and makeup people.  I'm a nurse and can handle most things, but a long-term unwashed head is one of the worst.  Can't stand it.

Hopefully, they put something on it. His head looks like it's been dipped in vegetable oil. I hope he doesn't run around like that in real life.

• Love 2

NR says he's a neat freak so I can't imagine he doesn't wash his hair.  I really think he puts stuff in his hair to make it look like it's unwashed.

• Love 1

I remember reading an interview about the costume and makeup people, and the lead hair dresser said that they use a combo of stuff, including conditioner, that they put in the actors' hair to achieve that greasy, unwashed effect.  The actors like it because after they wash it out at the end of the day, their hair is nice and soft.

• Love 3

NR says he's a neat freak so I can't imagine he doesn't wash his hair.  I really think he puts stuff in his hair to make it look like it's unwashed.

That's good to hear.  He and AL seem to be very much "method" actors.   I don't think it's a coincidence that their characters are (by far) the filthiest.

• Love 1

I think there might have to be a recall on this Daryl figurine:

enqdj4H.jpg

I've been cracking up over this pic for days.  When I first scrolled down I thought "holy shit they have an action figure with an erect penis!".  Now that's literally an action figure just waiting for some action.

Edited by NurseGiGi
  • Love 5

"holy shit they have an action figure with an erect penis!".

Hey, there is a Ken doll sporting a rather impressive boner (with public hair) so why not Daryl?  NR seems to enjoy discussing how easily he gets one, after all.

I think I've outlived myself.:(

• Love 3

Hey, there is a Ken doll sporting a rather impressive boner (with public hair) so why not Daryl?  NR seems to enjoy discussing how easily he gets one, after all.

I think I've outlived myself.:(

WTF! Ken now has a penis? Mine didn't, plus he was dolphin smooth. Of course, this was back in the early 60s before things such as boners were invented. Hahaha!

It certainly would have made my Mom's job easier if he'd had one. When she gave me the "big talk" she demonstrated "making babies" using my Barbie and Ken - naked no less.

• Love 5
Of course, this was back in the early 60s before things such as boners were invented. Hahaha!

You should feel right at home watching TWD, since all progress there seems to have stalled in the 60's. Well except the giant disease control facility, which a flick of the Neuralizer will erase from our memories.

It certainly would have made my Mom's job easier if he'd had one. When she gave me the "big talk" she demonstrated "making babies" using my Barbie and Ken - naked no less

"But Mom, what are they making babies with?"

Your mom was very ahead of the times. I got no talk of any kind,ever, and never even knew what a boner looked like til I was grown up. Sad, I know.

I bet Rick will be too embarassed to give Corl the birds-n-bees talk and will make someone else do it, but not Daryl since he's a 44 year old asexual virgin, or so they say. 

• Love 2

You know, that reminds me. The Seminoles would rub fish oil on themselves as mosquito repellent. Daryl could be doing a similar trick. To me it looks more like motor oil or something, but the specific chemical details don't really matter. He might be rubbing a little bit of it all over his skin, and that extra heavy glump of it on top is just an easy way to keep it handy for when he needs a re-coat.

Now all we need to explain is why he likes having hair in his eyeballs.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 4

Now all we need to explain is why he likes having hair in his eyeballs.

That's what annoys me. All the other stuff doesn't but every time I see him blinking, squinting and peering out from under that ragged fringe, I just want to reach into the tv and push it out of his eyes.

• Love 6

That's what annoys me. All the other stuff doesn't but every time I see him blinking, squinting and peering out from under that ragged fringe, I just want to reach into the tv and push it out of his eyes.

Y'all sound just like my mother back in the day, when I wore my hair long and parted in the middle.  It drove her nuts, just like Daryl's hair is driving y'all nuts.  Heh.

• Love 6

No, it's different. You parted your hair in the middle, so you could still see. I've had long hair that was combed back, I've had long hair that was cut short in front (although I never obsessed over the fashion aspects of it the way Eugene does,) I've had short hair, no hair, for a very long time I shaved it all off except a ponytail (got an annoying bald spot when I was in my 20s, but still wanted long hair,) and now that I'm older and more evenly bald on top, all I do is trim the sides. I let the back grow as long as it wants to. What do all these things have in common? None of them obstruct my vision.

If Daryl had always run around with emo hair, we could fanwank that maybe he was just used to it. But he started the zombie apocalypse with a buzz cut. I just don't think that the lifestyle he lives is conducive to sacrificing one's ability to see where one's crossbow is pointed.

• Love 6