Type keyword(s) to search

Daryl: Your Leading Man and Norman Reedus: the Actor

• Start Topic

I can't imagine I'd ever stop, though I'd really appreciate Daryl getting back to his former awesomeness, and soon.

(and this post title reminds me of a favorite moment of his, where he tells a walker to "shut up" right before the thunk of his arrow puts him down.)

Edited by mandolin
  • Love 1

Ok, I'll say it. Daryl's my deal breaker. His is the story I'm most interested. If he goes, I go. I probably wouldn't quit the show for good but it would definitely fall off the DVR.

• Love 1

I wouldn't have made it through season two if Daryl wasn't on the show.   So if he were to die, and the pacing and plotting got really shitty again, yeah, I'd quit this show. If the writing stays like it is now, and Beth remains off my teevee, I'd probably stick around.  Probably.  

It wouldn't be must see TV, though.

(edited)

I flip flop on Daryl. I don't know whether his presence is a deal-breaker but I would definitely miss the grumpy bastard. :)

I enjoy(ed) his friendship with Carol; they were kindred spirits and had each other's backs. I hope they are reunited quickly next season.

If Carol has learned some hair-cutting skills during her trek to Terminus, I hope she employs them on Daryl. I find it ridiculous that he wields a precision weapon with that shaggy curtain falling over/into his eyes.

Edited by NoWillToResist
  • Love 1

I shouldn't like a character based on just a hairstyle, but I see I'm not alone here. Get his hair back to season 1 & season 2 and watch the fans perk up. It's like Shelley Duvall's wardrobe in The Shining; it's inadvertently comedic to the point of sucking the tension out of the story.

• Love 1

It's particularly jarring because I can't imagine that Daryl would have the patience for that long hair. It clings when he's sweaty, gets in his eyes all the time (hazardous to his shooting accuracy), and is easy to snare on things (like walkers' grabby hands!) It must be a bitch to 'maintain' instead of short hair. It just doesn't gel with his personality, IMO.

I keep expecting him to grab a knife and just hack the shit out of it.

It makes no sense to me on any level that he's let it grow (unless he thinks its some kind of rebellion) ;)

• Like 1

I'm sure I read somewhere Reedus was keeping his hair long for a film role he's doing now so maybe next season the oppressive heat in the train car will compel Daryl to get rid of the mop.

I find Daryl a fascinating character because his life has been changed in a different way by the ZA compared to most others. His story isn't so much of loss (apart from Merle) but of discovery and growth. And bad haircuts, shipping wars and gross habits like peeing in corners and licking his fingers.

• Love 3
I hope Daryl doesn't get killed off.  I don't want to have to turn in my T-shirt

No kidding. If Darryl goes? I might still watch, but he is a huge reason why I tune in from episode to episode. And let alone, that T-shirt is awesome :)

No character death, not even my beloved Rick and Michonne, will make me stop watching. I think this show is telling a story about humanity that is much bigger than any one character. The only way that I stop watching if is the show descends into a hot mess.

• Love 5

I will continue watching but only if they replace Daryl with his equally dishy long lost twin brother who is a rocket scientist. Hey it's happened before in soap operas and I think NR can pull it off.

• Love 1

I think the chances of the producers deciding to off the Daryl character are slim to none.  That being said, if there was no Daryl, I would still watch. Now, if there was no Carol? Not so much. For me, she is the most compelling character there and hers is the story I am most invested in. I do like looking at Daryl, though...he's pretty.

• Love 3

Although I really have grown fond of nearly all the characters (I was pretty bored with Andrea there, so I wasn't all that bummed when she died), I do have a special place in my heart for Daryl, my favorite crossbow-wielding dirt ball.  I liked what Beth said about Daryl being the last man standing after the whole thing was said and done.  Man, I hope she proves to be right.

• Love 1

I liked what Beth said about Daryl being the last man standing after the whole thing was said and done.  Man, I hope she proves to be right.

Except that Daryl has ostensibly spent the last four seasons figuring out that life isn't worth much if you live it alone. I think Darly needs someone to care about, and to fight for. I felt that is what they were trying to get across with the whole cherokee rose stuff. I don't doubt that Daryl could be the last man standing...I just can't see that being enough for him anymore. 

• Love 3

Except that Daryl has ostensibly spent the last four seasons figuring out that life isn't worth much if you live it alone. I think Darly needs someone to care about, and to fight for. I felt that is what they were trying to get across with the whole cherokee rose stuff. I don't doubt that Daryl could be the last man standing...I just can't see that being enough for him anymore. 

Absolutely.  It's a good thing that in the last episode of the season he was reunited with his true love - Rick.  

• Love 7

It's a good thing that in the last episode of the season he was reunited with his true love - Rick.

ITA. Daryl seems most comfortable playing the loyal sidekick to our hero Rick, and that's probably for the best. It is a little bit of a stretch to make him a romantic hero IMHO, since he always was the henchman character.

• Love 2

I don't know. Most women find Daryl attractive, even as he's covered in dirt. There is something primitive about a man that can protect you and provide for you. In a modern setting he probably wouldn't do well, in survivor mode he's like a rock star.

• Love 4

I think tptb won't let Darryl remain single, He's the fan favourite and a very popular character that means being a romantic lead whether it works characterwise or not.

We've gotten just a couple of hints at romantic Daryl, but nothing concrete yet.  I think the writers might like drawing it out and teasing the audience.

Edited by eejm

I got the truly-life-size cardboard standing Daryl from amazon. If he left the show he'd still be in my house,  and I'd still watch. I'm TWD's bitch.

• Love 3

I think tptb won't let Darryl remain single, He's the fan favourite and a very popular character that means being a romantic lead whether it works characterwise or not.

I don't see the writers devoting a lot of time - if at all - to any love affair of Daryl's.  It may happen, but it will be a B story or even a C story.  I don't really mind if Daryl gets a romantic interest, but I want to see that relationship progress slowly.  I don't want to be told by the writers that Daryl loves someone.  I need to see it happen on screen so that I can invest in it.

Daryl is my favorite character but I also love Rick too.  I am hoping that Daryl continues to grow as a character in the next season, and I love the fact that he and Rick are true 'brothers' now.  LOVED that moment in the season finale.

• Love 1

We've gotten just a couple of hints at romantic Daryl, but nothing concrete yet.  I think the writers might like drawing it out and teasing the audience.

I think it would have to be drawn out for quite awhile to be believable.  It's almost like he has the qualities of someone with Asperger syndrome.  He seems incredibly uncomfortable with being touched - like when Beth hugged him in the prison.  He had a continual eye roll going on for any of Carol's (maybe) joking come ons.  Even though a lot of people don't seem to like the pairing, I think Beth resurfacing would be the best bet, even if the age difference is a little creepy.  Carol seems more like an older sister type for him.

I would probably still watch, but I would be a so not happy camper.  The show would have to be incredibly good or I'd fall away.

I think my favorite part of Daryl is no matter what they say he'll do it.  "So you want me to go up against 100 walkers with two arrows while half our team stays behind?  Alright."  Every time he says alright I crack up. 

I think it would have to be drawn out for quite awhile to be believable.  It's almost like he has the qualities of someone with Asperger syndrome.  He seems incredibly uncomfortable with being touched - like when Beth hugged him in the prison.  He had a continual eye roll going on for any of Carol's (maybe) joking come ons.  Even though a lot of people don't seem to like the pairing, I think Beth resurfacing would be the best bet, even if the age difference is a little creepy.  Carol seems more like an older sister type for him.

I think its less Asperger's and more extrmeme abuse. As NR has said he doesn't really asociate touch with something positive because he's been so severely abused he expects to be hit.  Its a symptom you see in cases of Reactive Attachment Disorder actually. The difference is that Asberger's cases don't like being touched because of sensory issues they can't control cases like Darryl's can actually change  He has warmed up to being touched somewhat even in the premiere he was a lot less gaurded. Darryl doesn't really have any of the other hallmarks of Aspergers like lack of understanding other emotions Darryl's actually fairly sensitive.

I think plenty of people who like Bethyl(or Deth) but there are just also a lot of people who like Caryl and are butthurt over having competition. I feel like Carol and Darryl are on completely different pages and places in life. Emotionally Darryl is still very young and is just starting to figure out what he really wants. Carol has been married had her kids and just wants someone to love her. Morally as well I think they've definitely moved to opposite poles. Darryl is pulling back from the extreme he believes in people where Carol believes she is a law unto herself. I also feel like Carol mommies him and relies on him for protection in a way I find creepier than any age gap. A couple of thier scenes have made me unconfortable actually cuz if a man had continued making sexual remarks while a woman told him to stop we would still be hearing about it from feminists.

With Beth I think actually part what disarms Darryl about her is there nothing to fear from her, he knows she won't hurt him on an instinctive level. That's part of why he opened up to her and I think that's part of his atttraction to her. I also think while they go about it in very different ways they enjoy taking care of the group. That scene of Beth setting up camp while Darryl hunted was very specific way of showing that.  While they might come from different places they do seem to have come to a place of understanding

• Love 3

Darryl Dixon has got to be the most loyal ride or die in the history of fictional television. He went from taking a knife to Rick to risking his life to save Glen, running off like a bad-ass to get Judith some formula, telling the beloved Carol to basically STFU because Rick had done alright by him and he had character, saving Theodore Douglas from "dying of a cut on the arm" .. there are just so many reasons I love him. With all that said, his hair cut makes more sense than T-Dog steadily gaining weight LOL. I believe it was the season 3 when T-Dog offered to go get water and Darryl said "while the rest of them are washing their panties, let's go hunt" Goes to show that a haircut and shower are the last things on his to-do list. His hair is no worse than Rick's beard. I like the realism of the looks. I would like to thank the producers for insisting the black women have natural hair because anything else would just be ridiculous considering the circumstances

To answer the original question, I don't see me enjoying the show as much without Darryl or Rick. I would get over the death of anyone else, but that one would knock me in the gut like when Ted grabbed that blue French horn and went running to Robin (yeah, I haven't gotten over that betrayal; I've verbed it. When someone dissappoints me to the point I can no longer stand to look at them, I say I have been "Mosby'ed")

• Love 2

Yeah, not a lot of discussion about Kirkman's ponderings on Daryl's possible gayness happening anywhere. I guess everybody is too busy on a Friday afternoon?

Anyhoo - it makes perfect sense to me. I never understood why uber-hottie Daryl has been so distanced from the ladies on this show and any form of romance. I would think in the Zombie apocalypse everybody would be shacking up as much as possible just for comfort - and because they could be dead any minute. 

Maybe Daryl has been doing the asexual routine just to hide the fact that he's gay from his violent brother and family. Now that he's got a more accepting adopted family maybe it's time for him to come out. They'd have to cast a new guy for him to romance - they've killed off all the other unattached guys on the show - beside Rick.

Edited by Big McLargeHuge

Eh I don't think the show would actually go there. I think if anything they might hint at Daryl being molested as a child and have that be an issue in whatever romantic relationship he ends up in. Even that would a big risk for the show, its one thing to show a child as victim, someone like Daryl is a whole other story. . Daryl is the shows cash cow and there are still a lot of people who can't even comprehend either of those stories. This isn't a show that likes to be political and having Daryl come out as gay would be a bold statement.  I think hooking him up with teenage girl is a lot more likely frankly.  

I would hate for the show to kill off Darryl - but this is the zombie-apocalypse. No one is safe (poor Herschel....).

I would not stop watching the show if he was killed off, so if they do, he better go out with a apocalyptic bang. However, he's a fan favourite, along with Rick and Michonne, so I'm willing to bet that he'll be just fine for most of the shows full run.

I do like the respect and trust between him and Rick - and Darryl's bond with Carol are the highlights of the show. Oh, and Darryl simply being kick-ass.

Eh I don't think the show would actually go there. I think if anything they might hint at Daryl being molested as a child and have that be an issue in whatever romantic relationship he ends up in. Even that would a big risk for the show, its one thing to show a child as victim, someone like Daryl is a whole other story. . Daryl is the shows cash cow and there are still a lot of people who can't even comprehend either of those stories. This isn't a show that likes to be political and having Daryl come out as gay would be a bold statement.  I think hooking him up with teenage girl is a lot more likely frankly.  

IIRC in another similar interview AMC said they'd be all for Daryl being gay.  They have an openly lesbian character and more than a few fans already ship Daryl and Rick anyway so there's really nothing to lose.

We have Oberyn Martell, Jack Harkness, and Leo da Vinci (and his sidekick Zo) as TV action heroes who love dudes.  I'd love it if Daryl joined the club.  

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 1

Why do I think that any depiction of Daryl's sexuality would be painfully awkward, regardless of orientation? He's just so uncomfortable with anyone who shows him affection. If Daryl hooks up with anyone, I think he'll lose at least 3 or 4 badass points. 

• Love 4

Why do I think that any depiction of Daryl's sexuality would be painfully awkward, regardless of orientation? He's just so uncomfortable with anyone who shows him affection.

Agree. We've seen how he reacts when Carol flirts with him. He looked uncomfortable when Beth hugged him. When Rick told him "you're my brother" all Daryl could muster was a stare and slight nod. Straight or gay, Daryl doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would give anything in a romantic relationship. 

Obviously the show knows that fans swoon over Daryl and they must know about the shipping wars. I think this latest "gay" rumor is just them blowing smoke up our asses to drum up hype for the show as the season premiere approaches.

• Love 4

I wouldn't mind if Daryl remained celibate and possibly asexual.  He seems to be the type who needs a whole lotta healing - emotional, spiritual and sexual. I'd volunteer to help him out with all that, but I have to wash my hair.  :-)

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Ooh - I learned a new word!  And found out what I am.  Thanks, kikismom.  :-)

Anyone else wondering if you would be one the same page as me, walnut queen, and Daryl ("bold, daring, and somewhat unorthodox in thought and perspective")?

Here's a way to find out http://lonerwolf.com/sapiosexual-test/

(I didn't score 100 points because I didn't care so much about some things, like how someone dresses. I scored 86--so now you know!)

Edited by kikismom

They really need to cut Daryl's boy band hair.  I know his character is probably one that doesn't care what he looks like, but he would care that his bangs keep getting in the way of his eyesight.  It would be way more realistic if he just shaved his head or had a choppy looking hair cut where the bang portion was randomly chopped off.