Type keyword(s) to search

Daryl: Your Leading Man and Norman Reedus: the Actor

• Start Topic

Does anyone know why Normal Reedus is having a latex "bald cap" applied in this August 28, 2014, Entertainment Weekly photo?

Could be getting a head wound...that would also give them an excuse to cut his hair, now that he is done filming Air and doesn't need the ponytail thing.

He has a production co. called BigBaldHead and did some art book called The Sun Is Rising Like A Big Bald Head or something like that.

Walker? That's what the makeup and FX special features clip show them do with some undead.

He's punking the viewers because NR is a shit-stirrer who likes to rile up the rumor mill.

Those are my GUESSES---NOT SPOILERS as I have absolutely no idea.

• Love 3

There are a myriad of reasons as to why someone who would avoid sex in the ZA. I think there might be just as many people being MORE picky about it than there would be people throwing all previous standards to the wind. 

That's why I think Daryl's reaction night be interesting in a way it shows how far he's come. From the guy who fucks and runs to someone capable of commiting or at least taking things seriously is big change. That's part of why I think its an important step for Daryl to be in a relationship with anyone. It forces him to confront so many of his issues and fears. He would actually have to talk about his feelings instead of just shutting down. He can't get that from Rick or even his current relationship with Carol. That's actually a big part of why I don't like Caryl because its one thing to accept Daryl but its a whole other thing to actually get him to open up. So far the only person I've seen him trust like that is Beth. 

• Love 3

to actually get him to open up. So far the only person I've seen him trust like that is Beth.

Well, in all fairness to the other characters with whom Daryl has bonded and formed attachments, when he opened up to Beth, he was at utter rock bottom, thinking EVERYONE ELSE he knew or cared about was dead.

While Daryl has had issues in the past, his present had actually been pretty good - He had friends and 'family' and kids around etc. He had a community and probably wasn't particularly angsty. But post prison, he literally had nothing BUT Beth. I'm not surprised that he finally cracked. The others had done a good job of making him accept people and be receptive to them, so I think it made sense for him to finally 'break' when he thought he'd lost all that.

That's part of why I think its an important step for Daryl to be in a relationship with anyone. It forces him to confront so many of his issues and fears. He would actually have to talk about his feelings instead of just shutting down.

I don't think one can only to that with a romantic interest. Why can't Daryl open up and talk about his issues with his 'brother' Rick? His friend Carol or Michonne? Hell, I'd argue that someone - particularly someone like Daryl - might be MORE likely to open those cans of worms with someone he wasn't necessarily interested in pursuing anything with...no real worry or risk of rejection due to said issues...

• Love 11

Except Daryl hasn't confided in anyone like he did Beth. The meltdown was him hitting rock bottom talking to Beth about his family was his choice. Daryl choose to confide in Beth afterall he went that shack with Michonne but he didn't say anything to her.

I also think its less that you can't have intimate relationships with freinds but that Daryl won't. Being romantically involved is different because he won't be able to stonewall or cut and run. Not if he wants it to work.

Edited by Emily Thrace

Except Daryl hasn't confided in anyone like he did Beth. The meltdown was him hitting rock bottom talking to Beth about his family was his choice. Daryl choose to confide in Beth afterall he went that shack with Michonne but he didn't say anything to her.

I don't recall Daryl and Michonne being alone together since the fall of the prison. God, is my memory so terrible? Yikes. Can you remind me? I thought it went Beth/Daryl, Daryl/Claimers, Daryl/Rick/Carl/Michonne, Terminus, Church, and now the upcoming Carol/Daryl road trip.

I truly don't recall him really having any 'hang out with just one person' scenes since his isolation with Beth.

I am very interested to see if we get a similar 'opening up' when he and Carol are off on their adventures together in tomorrow episode. If he's still all closed mouthed around Carol, then yes, perhaps there was just something about Beth. But perhaps she opened the floodgates for him and he will open up and share with Carol now too...I'll have to wait and see.

• Love 2

I don't recall Daryl and Michonne being alone together since the fall of the prison. God, is my memory so terrible? Yikes. Can you remind me? I thought it went Beth/Daryl, Daryl/Claimers, Daryl/Rick/Carl/Michonne, Terminus, Church, and now the upcoming Carol/Daryl road trip.

I truly don't recall him really having any 'hang out with just one person' scenes since his isolation with Beth.

I am very interested to see if we get a similar 'opening up' when he and Carol are off on their adventures together in tomorrow episode. If he's still all closed mouthed around Carol, then yes, perhaps there was just something about Beth. But perhaps she opened the floodgates for him and he will open up and share with Carol now too...I'll have to wait ann see

In Stil Daryl mentions he and Michonne found the moonshine cabin together when they were looking for Brillip.

• Love 2

Daryl has opened up before and shown his vulnerable underbelly. I remember in S2 he opened up with Andrea when they were looking for Sophia at night, he told her about his youth, being lost for days on his own. He also opened up with Carol when he was telling her about the Cherokee Rose.

S2 Daryl was my favorite, his evolution felt like a natural progression from angry jerk/loner to a team player and S3 was an extension of that. I liked that in S3 with Carol, Judith, Rick, and Carl, Daryl became part of a family more then just a member of the team.

Anyway I always found the Daryl alone in the woods with Mind Meryl to be the real turning point for the character, like he fought his demons, faced death and emerged a new man on the other side (Andrea's bullet to the brain might have helped a bit)

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 7

In Stil Daryl mentions he and Michonne found the moonshine cabin together when they were looking for Brillip.

Okay, so that's not after the fall of the prison then...I'm theorizing that his big emotional collapse and opening up to Beth was due to thinking he'd just lost everyone he cared about. So, Beth might just be the starting point...

• Love 2

I agree that it may be chance, rather than true connection with Beth, that helped Darryl share some of his past.  But let's say it was specifically Beth, as a person, who Daryl had a breakthrough with.  Then it very well may be because there is no other woman in their group who would play drinking games with him, tolerate him peeing indoors, listen to him rampage about ponies and frozen yogurt, burn down a perfectly good cabin that they had sought refuge in more than once, followed by being shaken like a rag doll.  That takes someone special.

Edited by RedheadZombie
  • Love 5

I also think its less that you can't have intimate relationships with freinds but that Daryl won't. Being romantically involved is different because he won't be able to stonewall or cut and run. Not if he wants it to work.

What did he.tell Beth? That he was a loser who did nothing but follow Merle around. Was that a secret? Judith probably knew that about Daryl.  I watched Alone and Still and I don't remember any earthshaking revelation.

I agree with the poster who said that one of the things that made Beth 'special' was she took his shit. She finally got on her hind legs and snapped back but he had put his hands on her by then. There wasn't a woman in the prison crew who would have let him get away with that.

And we don't know what he and Michonne talked about the months they spent searching for the Governor since we were never told. We do know that whatever happened, it was enough to make them friends when season 4 started up.  He might have taken Beth to the shack because it meant something to him.

Edited by mightysparrow
  • Love 4

But let's say it was specifically Beth, as a person, who Daryl had a breakthrough with.  Then it very well may be because there is no other woman in their group who would play drinking games with him, tolerate him peeing indoors, listen to him rampage about ponies and frozen yogurt, burn down a perfectly good cabin that they had sought refuge in more than once, followed by being shaken like a rag doll. 

Hm. I have only seen those episodes once but your recap of the activities makes me wonder how much Beth was intimidated by Daryl. I mean, pre-prison fallout, I don't think they ever interacted. I can believe that she would have been a little...afraid(?)...of him. Probably didn't think he'd hurt her or anything since he was part of their group, but he is certainly rough around the edges.

Perhaps, because he was emotionally hurting, he brought out the asshole behaviour, thinking he'd be scolded or 'punished' like he deserved/wanted/expected, only because Beth was either (A) too intimidated or (B) too sympathetic to his hurt, she let him carry on until it had run its course. Then, emotionally exhausted, she gets the real Daryl, who is vulnerable and hurting and he lets it all out...

• Love 2

Hm. I have only seen those episodes once but your recap of the activities makes me wonder how much Beth was intimidated by Daryl. I mean, pre-prison fallout, I don't think they ever interacted. I can believe that she would have been a little...afraid(?)...of him.

When Daryl told Beth about dead ZA boyfriend #2 (Zach?), she was hard & he was soft.

• Love 3

A couple of thoughts after reading the latest posts....

About waiting for Daryl to share with Carol after the opening of the floodgates, so to speak....er, I think that happened in a momentous and unprecedented way when the group reunited after the fall of Terminus.  Have we forgotten the embrace?  I was absolutely stunned by it.  I never would have expected him to run to Carol, sweep her into his arms, lift her off the ground, and press his face into her shoulder, then stand back, in tears.  I think that's proof that some serious sharing has taken place between the two.

Concerning the idea that Beth was the only female who would have allowed Daryl to act like a jerk, think back to Season 2 Carol.  She and Daryl were in the barn where she tried to dissuade him from going out to look for Sophia because "we can't lose you, too."  He yelled at her and called her a stupid bitch.  Then, when he was withdrawing from the group, she trailed him to his camp where he had squirrels (?) hanging on a line.  He pretty much verbally abused her then, shouting in her face, getting threateningly close, calling her names, etc.  She flinched, but deliberately stood there and took it all.  

• Love 4

About waiting for Daryl to share with Carol after the opening of the floodgates, so to speak....er, I think that happened in a momentous and unprecedented way when the group reunited after the fall of Terminus. Have we forgotten the embrace? I was absolutely stunned by it. I never would have expected him to run to Carol, sweep her into his arms, lift her off the ground, and press his face into her shoulder, then stand back, in tears. I think that's proof that some serious sharing has taken place between the two.

Concerning the idea that Beth was the only female who would have allowed Daryl to act like a jerk, think back to Season 2 Carol. She and Daryl were in the barn where she tried to dissuade him from going out to look for Sophia because "we can't lose you, too." He yelled at her and called her a stupid bitch. Then, when he was withdrawing from the group, she trailed him to his camp where he had squirrels (?) hanging on a line. He pretty much verbally abused her then, shouting in her face, getting threateningly close, calling her names, etc. She flinched, but deliberately stood there and took it all.

Except that was just Daryl venting there was no actual communication there. That's the real difference between Daryl's scenes with Carol in season two and Still or even Alone. Even the Cherokee rose scene was more Daryl talking at Carol than really communicating.

As for Beth being intimidated by Daryl as soon as he let her go she turned around and started yelling at him. Thats not someone who is afraid or intimidated. Besides its not like she really had anything to worry about Daryl's not a bully he would never deliberately hurt Beth and she knows that.

Even if Daryl only confided in Beth because she was there I'm not sure it matters. Timing is big part of falling in love and I don't see Daryl breaking.down like that again anytime soon. Regardless of why Daryl and Beth established an intimacy out there together that Daryl has never had before.

SG clearly thinks Beth could get something out of Daryl no one else could as he insistted in putting them together Its also been stated several times by him NR and others that he had never talked about his past with anyone before so he wasn't confiding in Michonne off screen Considering how far Beth had to go to get that out of him it would be afairly big cheat if he did.

Personally I do think Beth got to him in ways the others couldn't. Partly because she doesn't judge people as a rule but also because she doesn't have the same preconceived ideas the others would have. Rick and the others have dealt with people from Daryl's background before and know or at least think they know something about it.Beth just knows Daryl and she judges him on face value. Daryl trusted Beth because he knew she wouldn't judge or worse pity him because in her world everyone is damaged and who you were doesn't matter. I also think Beth is someone who understands and listens better than most. She was doing the same last year with Carl.

• Love 1

About waiting for Daryl to share with Carol after the opening of the floodgates, so to speak....er, I think that happened in a momentous and unprecedented way when the group reunited after the fall of Terminus.  Have we forgotten the embrace?  I was absolutely stunned by it.  I never would have expected him to run to Carol, sweep her into his arms, lift her off the ground, and press his face into her shoulder, then stand back, in tears.  I think that's proof that some serious sharing has taken place between the two.

Concerning the idea that Beth was the only female who would have allowed Daryl to act like a jerk, think back to Season 2 Carol.  She and Daryl were in the barn where she tried to dissuade him from going out to look for Sophia because "we can't lose you, too."  He yelled at her and called her a stupid bitch.  Then, when he was withdrawing from the group, she trailed him to his camp where he had squirrels (?) hanging on a line.  He pretty much verbally abused her then, shouting in her face, getting threateningly close, calling her names, etc.  She flinched, but deliberately stood there and took it all.

Both of the described Daryl/Carol interactions struck me as much more family-type interactions, than romantic encounters. And that's who Daryl is - family before all else. Even when Daryl knew Merle was absolutely, 100% Grade-A wrong about something, Daryl would still defend Merle to the death, because Merle is - or was - family.

Daryl needs to be part of a family because in his culture, family defines who you are and who your people are. They may be dysfunctional as hell, but you defend them and fight for them down to your last breath because they're yours and you're theirs. And now that Merle-and with him the last trace of Daryl's old family - is dead, re-dead and gone, who else do you think Daryl has transferred that need for family to? Anyone else hear that dinner bell a-ringing? :)

This is also why I don't put much stock in the current round of shipping, BTW.

• Love 2

Me too. Daryl opened up to Carl about his mom and it was a real humdinger of a story. I think he's done that only with peeps he considers "family". When he was with Beth as far as he knew she was the only "family" he had left. So his opening up to her made sense to me at that point.

• Love 2

Daryl has opened up before and shown his vulnerable underbelly. I remember in S2 he opened up with Andrea when they were looking for Sophia at night, he told her about his youth, being lost for days on his own. He also opened up with Carol when he was telling her about the Cherokee Rose.

S2 Daryl was my favorite, his evolution felt like a natural progression from angry jerk/loner to a team player and S3 was an extension of that. I liked that in S3 with Carol, Judith, Rick, and Carl, Daryl became part of a family more then just a member of the team.

Well, in all fairness to the other characters with whom Daryl has bonded and formed attachments, when he opened up to Beth, he was at utter rock bottom, thinking EVERYONE ELSE he knew or cared about was dead.

While Daryl has had issues in the past, his present had actually been pretty good - He had friends and 'family' and kids around etc. He had a community and probably wasn't particularly angsty. But post prison, he literally had nothing BUT Beth. I'm not surprised that he finally cracked. The others had done a good job of making him accept people and be receptive to them, so I think it made sense for him to finally 'break' when he thought he'd lost all that.

Agreed! Daryl has made connections with several people in the group and gave them insight into his past. Andrea, Carol, Carl, Rick...all of these people have been privy to his feelings. He was one of the first people to embrace Judith and give her a name. He has accepted these people as his family, and has started to come out of his shell with all of them. Even Herschel commented on his change while they were still at the prison (something to the effect of he's come a long way and now knows his worth).

So, falling apart with Beth was due to realizing that he was now totally alone, except for her.

His growth has been gradual, and group oriented. I hope it continues in this manner .

• Love 3

That was the old passive Carol.  If Daryl tried that again, he'd get a completely different response.  She'd quite possibly turn him over her knee and give him a spanking.

So, falling apart with Beth was due to realizing that he was now totally alone, except for her.

That would be enough to make me fall apart too.

• Love 5

See, I do regard the Cherokee rose thing as the first blossoming of Daryl's willingness to open up.  He can't be expected to go from zero to 60 right away.  Then I think of the instances in which Daryl was caught gazing thoughtfully at Carol in a covert way....the scene in Season 3 where Carol went to his cell to express her gladness that he had returned (wth Merle), and where he responds with clear shyness.  I see that kind of response as something male/female rather than family-oriented.

Also, I've never seen family members who joke about oral sex with each other.  Sure, it was Carol doing it, but I just don't believe the show was misleading us to the opposite conclusion---that Daryl rejects Carol as anything but a friend, yet has more of an emotional tie to her than anyone else.  Everything I've seen puts the lie to that.

I agree that Beth never had anything to fear from Daryl, and I never felt any outrage that he manhandled her, or anything.  But Carol knew as much, too.  When she let him scream at her, it was to allow him to get that crap out of him, and sure enough, it was what was needed.  Now we're seeing somewhat of the opposite effect.  Daryl is the one chasing her---wanting her to talk, to start over, paying close attention to her in the church so that he knew when she left, and going after her to bring her back.

As for Daryl knowing Beth wouldn't judge him, he had to have been secure in the same knowledge about Carol for a long time, since we saw her assuring him in Season 2 that he was just as good as everyone else in the group.  

Personally I think the events in "Still" between Daryl and Beth happened because the writers wanted an unlikely pair who had never dealt much with each other before.  It was unexpected.  But I see Beth as little more than a catalyst on Daryl's continuing emotional journey.

• Love 5

I am seriously SERIOUSLY just hoping TPTB don't decide the ultimate culmination of Daryl's story arc is him giving his life to save another member of his new family. I don't really expect it - NR's portrayal of Daryl is WAY too popular and too much of an audience draw for Production to risk cutting him for little more than shock value, IMHO - but I'd be lying if I didn't admit to being more than a little concerned at the prospect.

• Love 2

I think a pivotal scene that displayed The Evolution of Daryl was in "Indifference", when Michonne commented on the Jasper stone he'd picked up. He told her it was for Mrs. Richards - she'd wanted it for "her ol' man's marker." Michonne expressed surprise that Daryl remembers who is who at the prison, and he shrugs it off with "You stay in a place more than a couple of hours, you'd be surprised what you pick up." This from the man who not-that-long ago replied "Whatever" when Glenn informed him of his ethnicity and who moved his tent far away from CDB after Sophia's death because he "wanted to get away from you people." He is suddenly at this late stage in his life surrounded by "family", and he's playing catch-up rather like an eager puppy at times.

• Love 6

See, I do regard the Cherokee rose thing as the first blossoming of Daryl's willingness to open up. He can't be expected to go from zero to 60 right away. Then I think of the instances in which Daryl was caught gazing thoughtfully at Carol in a covert way....the scene in Season 3 where Carol went to his cell to express her gladness that he had returned (wth Merle), and where he responds with clear shyness. I see that kind of response as something male/female rather than family-oriented.

Also, I've never seen family members who joke about oral sex with each other. Sure, it was Carol doing it, but I just don't believe the show was misleading us to the opposite conclusion---that Daryl rejects Carol as anything but a friend, yet has more of an emotional tie to her than anyone else. Everything I've seen puts the lie to that.

I agree that Beth never had anything to fear from Daryl, and I never felt any outrage that he manhandled her, or anything. But Carol knew as much, too. When she let him scream at her, it was to allow him to get that crap out of him, and sure enough, it was what was needed. Now we're seeing somewhat of the opposite effect. Daryl is the one chasing her---wanting her to talk, to start over, paying close attention to her in the church so that he knew when she left, and going after her to bring her back.

As for Daryl knowing Beth wouldn't judge him, he had to have been secure in the same knowledge about Carol for a long time, since we saw her assuring him in Season 2 that he was just as good as everyone else in the group.

Personally I think the events in "Still" between Daryl and Beth happened because the writers wanted an unlikely pair who had never dealt much with each other before. It was unexpected. But I see Beth as little more than a catalyst on Daryl's continuing emotional journey.

Except there really isn't a lot that shows Carol is his primary relationship. They're freinds but Daryl has connected with Rick and Michonne too. In fact if anyone is Daryl's primary relationship its probably Rick. Carol and Daryl have both brushed off attempts by the other to really talk. Daryl could have confided in Carol but he choose not to. I feel like Carol has her own set of walls and keeps Daryl on the other side of them.I also feel given the way Carol is ready to leave everyone without a backward glance shes not in any kind of place to be in a relationship.

I also think if you suggest having sex with a man and he tells you to stop and can't get away fast enough that a pretty clear indication that hes just not that into you.

• Love 2

Also, I've never seen family members who joke about oral sex with each other.  Sure, it was Carol doing it, but I just don't believe the show was misleading us to the opposite conclusion---that Daryl rejects Carol as anything but a friend, yet has more of an emotional tie to her than anyone else.  Everything I've seen puts the lie to that.

While I agree that I don't know family members who joke about oral sex, I certainly know of best friends who do.  Most of my close friends are guys (I am a female) and I will joke with them the way Daryl and Carol joked around.  I have no desire to be with any of those guys, nor they me (as far as I know LOL) but we can still clown around.  I see Daryl and Carol's relationship that way.  I believe they are very close, I will even go so far as to agree that he has more of an emotional tie to her than anyone else, but I don't necessarily think that means he is interested in her in a romantic way.  Men and women are able to be best friends without it growing into something else....although there is certainly a possibility that it COULD grow into something else.  Right now, though, at this particular moment in the series, I don't think Daryl is privately yearning for more with her....or her with him.

• Love 3

Hmmm.  I see it differently.  Carol didn't take his negative response as a rejection---she laughed.  I don't think he was really capable of much more at that point.  As I posted somewhere up there,  I think we've seen plenty of hints about the basic nature of their relationship.  I don't want nor do I need some kind of big romantic storyline between the two; I think falling all over each other would be out of character for them both, and part of the reason I find their relationship so fascinating is its subtlety.  I read once that love is friendship set on fire.  Well, IMO if the show were to just turn it up a single notch, Daryl and Carol would be there.  Just a hint now and then would be enough for me.

I agree about Carol's walls, but at some point, I see those crumbling out of necessity, or she'll likely go nuts from the strain of keeping it in.  But I would argue that, while Rick is Daryl's "brother", and extremely important to him, the embrace showed us in a stunning way how Daryl really feels about Carol.  I can't imagine him reacting like that over anyone else.

• Love 3

I think a lot of time  could (and has)be spent debating whether Daryl is romantically interested in either Beth or Carol. My opinion is neither.  Carol has made several suggestive remarks to Daryl and whether or not she was joking, he WASN'T joking the times he said 'stop'. The embrace that Daryl gave Carol wasn't the embrace a man gives the woman he's in love with. It was the embrace a friend gives a beloved friend they thought they'd never see again. And Beth might be the source of everything pure and good in the ZA, but we also found out that she thought Daryl was an ex-con (when they played that stupid kid's game) which hurt and offended him very much. So obviously Beth hadn't been writing 'Mrs. Daryl Dixon' in her diary. And the look she gave him in 'Alone' when she said 'oh' wasn't he look of a maiden whose dreams have come true. We know what Daryl thought of Beth before the prison fell because he told her at the top of his lungs.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the love of Daryl's life is Rick. Daryl offered his life for Rick, Carl and Michonne without a seconds hesitation.

I think that we might see what shape the Caryl ship is in tonight. And I have a good feeling that both ships will be put in dry dock by the mid season finale.

• Love 9
About waiting for Daryl to share with Carol after the opening of the floodgates, so to speak....er, I think that happened in a momentous and unprecedented way when the group reunited after the fall of Terminus.  Have we forgotten the embrace?  I was absolutely stunned by it.  I never would have expected him to run to Carol, sweep her into his arms, lift her off the ground, and press his face into her shoulder, then stand back, in tears.  I think that's proof that some serious sharing has taken place between the two.

I agree. Just because we don't see it, doesn't mean it didn't happen. Carol and Daryl are clearly very close, and I would infer that they have shared with each other. In season 3 she kept worrying about him getting too close to Merle, because she knew that Merle was "bad for him" - that, to me, would imply that he had confided in her some of his history with Merle.

Carol has made several suggestive remarks to Daryl and whether or not she was joking, he WASN'T joking the times he said 'stop'.

Daryl's "stop"s remind me of when my husband is flirting with me or grabbing at me when the kids are right in the other room, and I giggle and tell him to "stop". Because it's an inappropriate time, not because I'm repulsed by him or anything.

• Love 5

Personally I do think Beth got to him in ways the others couldn't. Partly because she doesn't judge people as a rule but also because she doesn't have the same preconceived ideas the others would have. Rick and the others have dealt with people from Daryl's background before and know or at least think they know something about it.Beth just knows Daryl and she judges him on face value. Daryl trusted Beth because he knew she wouldn't judge or worse pity him

To throw another hat in the ring: Daryl might have felt fine opening up to Beth because he didn't give a fuck about her opinion of him (at least initially), whereas he cares very much what Rick and some of the others think of him.

I think someone would be less hesitant to air their dirty laundry to a virtual stranger than someone they liked and respected...

Carol has made several suggestive remarks to Daryl and whether or not she was joking, he WASN'T joking the times he said 'stop'.

Didn't he kind of blow a raspberry before saying 'stop' and then she laughed? Seems to me that if someone were seriously bothered by such a proposition, the reaction would have been a little different. Not saying that he was all excited at her suggestion, but personally, I thought she was joking around and he knew it. I thought his "stop" was "stop joking around, let's go" rather than "oh hell no, lady!" ;)

Edited by NoWillToResist
  • Love 6

Daryl's "stop"s remind me of when my husband is flirting with me or grabbing at me when the kids are right in the other room, and I giggle and tell him to "stop". Because it's an inappropriate time, not because I'm repulsed by him or anything.

That's precisely how I saw it.  

• Love 5

I agree. Just because we don't see it, doesn't mean it didn't happen. Carol and Daryl are clearly very close, and I would infer that they have shared with each other. In season 3 she kept worrying about him getting too close to Merle, because she knew that Merle was "bad for him" - that, to me, would imply that he had confided in her some of his history with Merle.

Except this is a television show so if they didn't show it that means it didn't happen. Saying it happened ofscreen is unrealistic at best.. I could say Daryl and Beth were screwing like rabbits offscreen that doesn't make it true. It would be a theory at best. Afterall if Daryl was confiding in Carol the whole time what happened with Beth wouldn't have affected as much as it did. Also that scene your referring to was deleted so technically it didn't really happen either .

The problem with your other theory is that there was no one else around when Daryl told her to stop. So if he told her to stop its because he didn't want to hear it.

The "Merle isn't good for you" scene in S3E11 wasn't deleted, if that's what you all are referring to? She says "Don't let him bring you down. After all, look how far you've come." They then look around at the crappy prison cell, knowing the Governor is about to show up and kill them all, and have a little laugh. I liked that scene.

• Love 3

The "Merle isn't good for you" scene in S3E11 wasn't deleted, if that's what you all are referring to? She says "Don't let him bring you down. After all, look how far you've come." They then look around at the crappy prison cell, knowing the Governor is about to show up and kill them all, and have a little laugh. I liked that scene.

I liked that scene too. The Daryl/Merle relationship was fascinating in it's dysfunction, I knew the show couldn't spend too much time on the brothers because it would have ended up (IMO) either making Daryl an asshole or kicked puppy. However, I feel a bit short changed, I don't think they spent enough time exploring the characters and their relationship before ending it.

• Love 3
Except this is a television show so if they didn't show it that means it didn't happen.

This isn't true at all. They can't possibly show us everything - every conversation, every run they've been on, every hug, etc. So we are left to infer things based upon what we DO see. For instance, we never saw Shane and Lori hook up but once, but many of us have inferred, from the way they acted, that they had been getting hot and heavy for awhile. Before we knew Michonne's backstory, a lot of us guessed that she had lost a child - given how she reacted to Judith. I could go on and on. But I completely reject the notion that something has to happen onscreen for it to be true. Now, of course, we're all going to have different interpretations of what things mean, and I'm fine with that. But I still think that Carol reacted so strongly to Merle because she knew how he had treated Daryl over the years.

Also that scene your referring to was deleted so technically it didn't really happen either .

What scene? I don't watch deleted scenes, I've never seen a single one for this show. And I clearly remember Carol telling Daryl that Merle isn't good for him, when they come back to the prison together.

The problem with your other theory is that there was no one else around when Daryl told her to stop. So if he told her to stop its because he didn't want to hear it.

The group was just a few feet away, at the campfire. It's not like Daryl could take Carol up on her offer right there on top of the overturned vehicle without someone seeing (too bad Eugene wasn't there). Plus, it seemed like they were trading watch duties or something. It was clear to me that she was playing around, and that he wasn't seriously bothered by it.

• Love 6

This isn't true at all. They can't possibly show us everything - every conversation, every run they've been on, every hug, etc. So we are left to infer things based upon what we DO see. For instance, we never saw Shane and Lori hook up but once, but many of us have inferred, from the way they acted, that they had been getting hot and heavy for awhile. Before we knew Michonne's backstory, a lot of us guessed that she had lost a child - given how she reacted to Judith. I could go on and on. But I completely reject the notion that something has to happen onscreen for it to be true. Now, of course, we're all going to have different interpretations of what things mean, and I'm fine with that. But I still think that Carol reacted so strongly to Merle because she knew how he had treated Daryl over the years.

What scene? I don't watch deleted scenes, I've never seen a single one for this show. And I clearly remember Carol telling Daryl that Merle isn't good for him, when they come back to the prison together.

The group was just a few feet away, at the campfire. It's not like Daryl could take Carol up on her offer right there on top of the overturned vehicle without someone seeing (too bad Eugene wasn't there). Plus, it seemed like they were trading watch duties or something. It was clear to me that she was playing around, and that he wasn't seriously bothered by it.

Right.  The scene in which Carol told Daryl Merle was no good for him took place right after Daryl got angry at Glenn for referring to Merle as a snake or a viper in their midst...something like that.  Daryl retreated to his cell, Carol followed him, and then at the end of the convo, they shared a little laugh...one of the rare times he's done so.

You know, as to the joking scene about "going down"....now that I think of it, they might have already done it before then.  Who knows?  Maybe Daryl stopped massaging her shoulders because he didn't want to get a hard-on then and there, LOL.

• Love 4

1.But I still think that Carol reacted so strongly to Merle because she knew how he had treated Daryl over the years.

2. What scene? I don't watch deleted scenes, I've never seen a single one for this show. And I clearly remember Carol telling Daryl that Merle isn't good for him, when they come back to the prison together.

3.  It was clear to me that she was playing around, and that he wasn't seriously bothered by it.

1. I don't think you have to know the history of Merle and Daryl...just look what was happening at the time. Anyone could see how cowed Daryl became around his big brother. And Merle made no secret of how much of a dick he was. Not hard to assume that Merle's attitude towards Daryl wasn't new.

2. I think you and Emily Thrace are talking about two different scenes. There is one in-show where Carol talks to Daryl about his brother. But IIRC there was a deleted scene in which Carol threatens to kill Merle if he hurts his brother (again).

3. Yeah, I have trouble believing that Daryl would happily hang around Carol if he felt that she was giving him unwanted sexual advances. IMO, he'd back way the hell away from her. I think she was just joking around and Daryl, who has no game as per Norman, had no fucking clue how to respond (bless his heart), so he was all awkwardly "stttawp".  ;)

• Love 5

1.Exactly judging by the speech she gave Beth Carol already felt she knew all about Merle. (That would be those preconceived ideas I was talking about btw). I think it negate a lot of Still and Daryl's journey with Beth, if he was sharing that with Carol. I also feel like sometimes Caryl shippers try to downplay not just Still but all of Daryls other relationships. I never deny that Carol is important to Daryl I just don't think she the only person who is important to Daryl. Daryl has bonded with most of CDB and they are all imprtant to him. I feel like his relationship with Beth is unique and special but I don't think it needs to override all others.

2. You would be right about that Nowilltoresist.

3. I think you could interpret that scene more than one way and if you disagree thats fine. I just think judging by the way Daryl moved away from Carol when she said it he didn't like what she was saying. Personally it reminded me of when my freind hit on me and I treid to shut him down without hurting his feelings.

This isn't true at all. They can't possibly show us everything - every conversation, every run they've been on, every hug, etc. So we are left to infer things based upon what we DO see. For instance, we never saw Shane and Lori hook up but once, but many of us have inferred, from the way they acted, that they had been getting hot and heavy for awhile. Before we knew Michonne's backstory, a lot of us guessed that she had lost a child - given how she reacted to Judith. I could go on and on. But I completely reject the notion that something has to happen onscreen for it to be true.

There's a big difference between skipping over every sock change and ass wipe, and omitting key points of plot relevance.  I recall one of the things my college sophomore lit professors hammered into us, using Hemingway's "The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber" as the mallet; you can infer anything you want, but what you have to accept as gospel is what the text (or the show) tells you - even if the characters' conversations contradict it.  Conversely, everything which is not specifically stated or shown cannot be accepted as fact regardless of what may be implied.

I thought both were joking around - Carol on her "offer", and Daryl on his "rejection".

• Love 2

I think a lot of time  could (and has)be spent debating whether Daryl is romantically interested in either Beth or Carol. My opinion is neither.  Carol has made several suggestive remarks to Daryl and whether or not she was joking, he WASN'T joking the times he said 'stop'

JMO, but I took the "Stop" as an attempt at playfulness from someone clearly not used to playing, and not as a "Leave me alone, lady".

Oh they were both joking. I agree that he says Stop like someone who doesn't know how to parry a joke sexy remark. He has no game, as NR has said, but he's also totally awkward when it isn't flirting. He is just always responding to sensitive moments with grumble grumble.

If he was so repelled by her, he wouldn't constantly sit by her or follow her outside or check on her. I'm not saying he's panting after her, but come on...if you've ever been seriously hit on by someone you don't want and don't want to encourage...you avoid them.

• Love 3

Oh they were both joking. I agree that he says Stop like someone who doesn't know how to parry a joke sexy remark. He has no game, as NR has said, but he's also totally awkward when it isn't flirting. He is just always responding to sensitive moments with grumble grumble.

If he was so repelled by her, he wouldn't constantly sit by her or follow her outside or check on her. I'm not saying he's panting after her, but come on...if you've ever been seriously hit on by someone you don't want and don't want to encourage...you avoid them.

I agree with everything you said here.  The suggestion that Carol is a sexual predator is silly.

• Love 5
1.Exactly judging by the speech she gave Beth Carol already felt she knew all about Merle. (That would be those preconceived ideas I was talking about btw). I think it negate a lot of Still and Daryl's journey with Beth, if he was sharing that with Carol. I also feel like sometimes Caryl shippers try to downplay not just Still but all of Daryls other relationships. I never deny that Carol is important to Daryl I just don't think she the only person who is important to Daryl. Daryl has bonded with most of CDB and they are all imprtant to him. I feel like his relationship with Beth is unique and special but I don't think it needs to override all others.

I feel Daryl's journey with Beth was important because it was Beth. Daryl and Carol may have confided in each other quite a bit, but I feel that was because they came from a very similar background of abuse, feeling unworthy, etc. Beth had a very different life. She had a loving family, good friends, a nice house - probably not many worries. It was clear, to me, that Daryl had previously felt like she was above him - or that SHE felt she was. There was some insecurity there.I Getting all their cards on the table and clearing the air was very important for their friendship. 

FTR, If I AM a Caryl shipper, it's a very grudging one, as I am not a huge fan of shipping on this show, in general. I actually really like what they have going on now and would be fine if nothing was ever confirmed one way or the other. I do think Daryl's other friendships are important as well. I absolutely loved when he attempted to bond with Carl after he lost his mother; I would love to see some more of that. 

• Love 4

It's not like Daryl could take Carol up on her offer right there on top of the overturned vehicle without someone seeing (too bad Eugene wasn't there).

Well, he could have but it would have been a little tacky, with or without Peeping Eugene. ;)

• Love 2

I loved how, even during their big mission, Daryl was so concerned about Carol and her head-space. Telling her that she didn't have to kill the mom and kid walker, doing it himself while she slept and then disposing of the bodies respectfully (even though they were strangers), asking her to open up and share her thoughts, being the one to go first into the van even though Carol was lighter and it was probably safer for her to go first, helping her out of the van, him being concerned about her shoulder (?) injury, him taking her arm and asking if she was ok after the bookcase incident, his reaction to her getting hit by the car etc.

He's so sweet around her yet somehow still gruff; it's an interesting combo. The art chat was hilarious but the exchange that followed ("you don't know me" "yeah, keep telling yourself that") was awesome. Was that...CONFIDENCE...I heard coming from Daryl Dixon's mouth?? Oh my God! ;)

I actually think Daryl does know Carol very well indeed; he is very tuned in to her emotionally and I love that he's making himself totally open to support her. I love whatever it is that these two are to each other.

• Love 11
I agree about Carol's walls, but at some point, I see those crumbling out of necessity, or she'll likely go nuts from the strain of keeping it in.  But I would argue that, while Rick is Daryl's "brother", and extremely important to him, the embrace showed us in a stunning way how Daryl really feels about Carol.  I can't imagine him reacting like that over anyone else.

I totally agree with this, I think Carol is the most important person to Daryl. Rick is the brother Daryl always wanted to have. I don't actually ship anyone on this show, I'm way more interested in friendships. I'm not opposed to them going there someday with Daryl and Carol but Daryl is nowhere near ready for a romantic relationship and I think he knows that. I loved the way he was really trying to be a friend to her in last nights episode.

• Love 3

I totally agree with this, I think Carol is the most important person to Daryl. Rick is the brother Daryl always wanted to have. I don't actually ship anyone on this show, I'm way more interested in friendships. I'm not opposed to them going there someday with Daryl and Carol but Daryl is nowhere near ready for a romantic relationship and I think he knows that. I loved the way he was really trying to be a friend to her in last nights episode.

that's actually how I feel.

• Love 1

Carol and Daryl remind me of my best friend in high school (me girl, him boy).  We joked about stuff all the time, totally had each others backs, told each other everything, but had no absolutely no interest in each other.  Sex jokes flew fast and furious with us.  Carol and Daryl both come from abusive relationships,  Carol had Andrea and Lori to help her deal and heal, Carol is helping Daryl on his journey.  I really don't want to see them together in "that" way. 

I liked Daryl with Beth.  She lightened him up and helped him see things a different way - Carol never did that.  Plus she's more "age" appropriate.

Personally, I have no idea why any of these people would want to have sex.  You're in fear for life constantly, you're not getting any sleep, sound attracts the walkers, and no one has taken a bath in forever!

• Love 1

I liked Daryl with Beth. She lightened him up and helped him see things a different way - Carol never did that. Plus she's more "age" appropriate.

How the hell are Daryl and Beth more "age" appropriate?

Melissa McBride is 49

Norman Reedus is 45

Emily Kinney is 29, and her character is 18-ish

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 2