Type keyword(s) to search

Daryl: Your Leading Man and Norman Reedus: the Actor

• Start Topic

He's reminding me of Roy Dupuis in that picture, so as long as Eugene doesn't inspire him to get a mullet, I'm happy. Ish. I'd be happier if Daryl just took out his knife during a scene and hacked off a handful of bangs.

Had to look up "Roy Dupuis". Still have no idea who he is.

Yeah, hack that hair out of your eyes, Daryl, or at least push it aside. Show us the baby blues.:)

• Love 1

Okay, I was wrong.  It's not JUST the color.  Get those bangs out of your eyes, Daryl!

OMG, you're killing me.  Can't laugh so loudly at work!  

Dude needs a bandana, or a head band, or some pretty barrettes.  But at least in that picture I can reasonably believe it's the same hair he started out with.  I guess I'll take what I can get.  (I was just trying to work out a theory wherein he was using road tar to waterproof his hair--that photo saved me just in time.  I honestly don't care so much as am super distracted by details that should be so easy to get right and are so glaringly off.)

What would happen (she asked, shuddering to imagine) if one day they just showed Daryl waking up and saying 'damn, can't take this hair one more day!' and shaving his head with a big ol' knife?   

• Love 6

It doesn't look like things on that front are going to  improve much, judging from this magazine cover. Of course it's a magazine discussing that ridiculous semi-literate trash, "50 Shades" so I wouldn't believe anything about it, not even the date.

Y1QFpAX.jpg

• Love 4
Dude needs a bandana, or a head band, or some pretty barrettes.

I would love to see Daryl in pretty barrettes. I can picture it now. Daryl talking about scoring metallic pink barrettes; Michone complimenting them and then pointing out the cute scrunchie she found to pull back her dreads. In the background, Carol is washing her fresh buzz cut in a stream of running mud run off.

• Love 1

I think it says a lot, about the direction they've gone with Daryl, that we're talking more about his hair than his character. Daryl used to be my favorite character. He was dark and layered and interesting. I still like Daryl. I especially enjoy the interactions with him and Rick, him and Carol. But he just isn't that interesting anymore, and I'm finding there are several other characters I'm enjoying more than him. 

• Love 11

That's where I'm at too, which is why it doesn't really fill me with glee to see a headline that says "More Daryl."  While I've liked the character and like his layered relationships with Rick and Carol, the character's basically had two settings since sometime early in season 3:  over the top superhero and mopey hopeless emo guy.  Hence why we're so distracted by whatever it is that's going on on top of his head.  It's more interesting for lack of a better word than anything I expect to see out of the character at this point.

The thing is that I did really love the character the first couple of seasons.  He was dark and bitingly funny and the only member of our crew who seemed truly capable or competent enough to actually be surviving in the ZA.  We saw flashes of that guy again in Consumed and in other small moments in the first half of this season, which was nice, but all signs are pointing to a return of mopey emo guy in the back half.  We've already seen it.

• Love 8

That was just flat-out hilarious, both in and of itself, but also funny that Lori found out everyone wasn't warm for her form.

I loved that line.  That, and Maggie pretty much telling her to do her own dirty work from now on after the pregnancy test debacle. Actually, as frustrating as it was to see most of the men bowing down to her, it was really satisfying to watch Daryl, Maggie, and Andrea call Lori on her shit.  

• Love 10

A couple days ago the Today Show did a piece with Natalie Morales on the WD set.  The report was about creating the zombie looks and the makeup people did her up as a walker.  While being taught how to walk like a zombie the director was talking about how you never know when something will sneak up behind you.  Natalie didn't know it but Norman Reedus was sneaking up behind her.  It's a cute moment and an interesting report you can find here.

• Love 2

Norman Reedus told Entertainment Weekly:

There’s some humor in Daryl in the back eight that just comes from him being him. He’s not really telling jokes, but it’s kind of funny. And then there are a couple of moments that are just the saddest. Then there’s a couple of ones that are super hero s—. There’s great stuff happening. There’s a sense of humor to Daryl that, I think, we see for the first time because he’ll say little one-liners that are kind of funny, but he’s screaming them in your face.
  • Love 3

I'm starting to think, between the Beth episodes, the weird almost-hype about Daryl and Beth, and the emo, dark-banged, self-harming sulks, TPTB maybe realized (possibly accidentally) that they could tap into a teen or tween demographic with Daryl, and have been consciously shaping the character to bring in that demo ever since.

• Love 4

I'm starting to think, between the Beth episodes, the weird almost-hype about Daryl and Beth, and the emo, dark-banged, self-harming sulks, TPTB maybe realized (possibly accidentally) that they could tap into a teen or tween demographic with Daryl, and have been consciously shaping the character to bring in that demo ever since.

Please God no the man is 45 years old!!!

• Love 5

I have been thinking that since season 4.  I'm sorry, but too much of a good thing can make a person sick. And, I am getting sick of Daryl.  

He spent 2-3 days with Beth, yet his grief seemed to take precedence over Maggie's grief.  Hell, Rick was closer to Beth than Daryl ever was.  Beth took care of Judith and Rick was extremely close to Herschel. He felt fatherly toward Beth.  Yet, once again, it is all about Daryl's manpain. 

He even had to interject and ruin Rick's speech.  I can't figure out if the writers were trying to make him look stupid (because, hey dumb dumb, Rick wasn't saying everybody was emotionless walkers), or if we were supposed to see that as some sort of "hope" from Daryl. Either way, he looked stupid.

"One Day You Just Change"

AWESOME!!!!!

• Love 3

That's the Daryl from seasons 1 and 2. Yes please to more of that. No thank you to the "sad hero" shit.

You are so right!  Besides "choke holds are illegal" there's his hilarious reaction when he finds out Merle was left handcuffed to a roof (I watched some of the marathon a while back and this is fresh) - "Let me process this" - pointing at his head - "you left my BROTHER handcuffec on the roof???" - just great delivery, angry yet hilariously so.  Then the fakeout with Merle's hand with the Vatos kid.  

I also would rather we go back to that Daryl.

Edited by raven
  • Love 9

his hilarious reaction when he finds out Merle was left handcuffed to a roof (I watched some of the marathon a while back and this is fresh) - "Let me process this" - pointing at his head - "you left my BROTHER handcuffec on the roof???" - just great delivery, angry yet hilariously so.

I love that scene!!!

I also would rather we go back to that Daryl.

That would be my wish too.

tumblr_maikq7IOeZ1qgkj1yo1_500.gif

• Love 5

Daryl had SO many chuckle-worthy lines in the early seasons - "Olive Oyl", "People in hell want slurpees", 'Am I the only one zen around here?", his poison ivy ass story, ribbing on Glenn for his Asian driving. He was surly and sarcastic, but came through when it mattered. I get that a lot of that may have been a front, and that when Daryl was finally accepted and loved by people, he didn't have to behave like that all the time any more. I get that people change in a ZA. But my God, it's like there is no semblance of the old Daryl left at all. 

• Love 6

But my God, it's like there is no semblance of the old Daryl left at all.

It's almost like he went through a machine that is used to extract any and all personality. I guess TPTB didn't realize we loved him for his "Dontcha know nuthin' ?", "Take that stupid hat and go back to On Golden Pond", "You got some balls for a Chinaman.", etc.  persona.

• Love 6

"Take that stupid hat and go back to On Golden Pond"

LOL that was a good one.  

"You got some balls for a Chinaman."

When Glen says "I'm Korean", the way Daryl replies "Whatever" - ignorant remark yet very funny delivery.  Then in a later episode he corrects Merle about the same thing.

• Love 4

OK, this picture from the Previously recap of this week's episode shows Norman as really starting to age.  I can't tell if that mess on his lower jaw is filth, or the shadows of a burgeoning jowl.  I know, it's probably partly because it's a bad freeze at a bad angle, but this is what women are swooning over?  This picture just really struck me.  (I hope it's ok to link back to the picture in the recap, if not let me know.)

1172772530.jpg

• Love 2

The "hotness" of Daryl's character was always because he was badass, his hunting/tracking skills and his snarky redneck wisdom. I've always thought NR was physically repulsive. Can't understand the swooning either, especially now with that hair.

• Love 3

Maybe that's it, less that he's aging and more that he's turned into Emo Sulking Black-Haired Boy-Man rather than skilled and backwoods tough.  I've never thought the actor was super attractive, either, but looking at that picture up-thread of him closer to the beginning of the series, holy hell he's gone downhill fast.

Edited by BrokenRemote
  • Love 3

I just re-watched, and I do think it's just unfortunate shadowing. I am interested to see what Daryl will look like if he gets a shower. Can you imagine him dressed like Aaron? Heh.

The media pounced on the fact that Rick finally shaves, but I am dying to see what kind of Alexandria makeover Daryl might get.

• Love 2

I think Daryl said about six words in this episode, and I couldn't understand any of them. He used to be a badass shit stirrer and now he's just a Mumbling Mope.

I was shocked at first to find out NR was/is a model, but he's very photogenic with photographers who know just which angle to use.

• Love 2

We've found another weakness for Daryl.  He's not overly fond of the aroma from horse manure.

I think Daryl said about six words in this episode, and I couldn't understand any of them. He used to be a badass shit stirrer and now he's just a Mumbling Mope.

I was shocked at first to find out NR was/is a model, but he's very photogenic with photographers who know just which angle to use.

I know the show would become stale if everyone stayed a 'one-trick pony', but old "don't give a shit and sarcastic as hell" Daryl was light years more entertaining than new "emo-goth mute" Daryl.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 5

I think he has gotten jowlier; but when you reach a certain age you find out that some aging doesn't happen gradually---sometimes you are fine one day and the next day oh my god my face/ neck/ass fell!

Norman-Reedus-Talks-Caryl-And-Dixonne-66

Norman+Reedus+04.jpg

Of course being in a car wreck doesn't help.

• Love 2

The hair really does age him. I'd think he could slick it back or something. If the character really has to have that hair (WHY??) there's got to be another way to style it other than parted in the middle and hanging lanky in his face.

Of course if you're good looking when you're young and can pull off awful hair, you might think you still can.

I knew he had the accident but wasn't sure if it messed up his face. If it did I don't think it was major damage.

Edited by BrokenRemote

I knew he had the accident but wasn't sure if it messed up his face. If it did I don't think it was major damage.

He got hit by a semi and it was bad enough he wouldn't let anyone visit him; they had to put his right eyeball in a replacement socket that was made of titanium. Whether that's major or not is a toss-up.

• Love 1

And the eyeball made for a funny bit on Fallon I think it was. 

Speaking of having your face fall (OT here), that brings to mind the Golden Girls episode where Dorothy shows Blanche how bad it looks when you are on top. She gives her a mirror to demonstrate. Then she tells her to lean back. Instant face lift! But not so much for other parts. 

His current hair in the above picture isn't awful. I mean, it's not black, and it appears clean. But Season 1 Daryl's hair should make a return.

Edited by mandolin
  • Love 1
(edited)

Daryl was like a caged animal in his videotaped interview. His ZA life has been better in so many ways than his "real life." Where does he fit in this society?

Why didn't Deanna make him a deputy?

Edited to ask: Am I the only who heard Daryl say, “The boy and the baby, they deserve a roof,” and thought, "What about you, Darryl? What about you?"

But I have to agree with the Entertainment Weekly recap of "Remember":

Daryl’s entire character arc during this episode… consists of acting like a pouty teenage boy who has been dragged out to a nice dinner by his parents, and who is determined to make it such a miserable experience that they never make that mistake again.
Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 1

I think Daryl's attitude in this episode is as much an act as Carol's or Rick's.  In fact, I think

the 3 of them have made this plan so that they can scope out this new place and size up the people. Daryl will act feral and draw people to spy on him. Meanwhile Rick will find out where the weapons are stored and who is able to use them, and Carol will blend in with the older people and those at the bottom of the rung and get some really good gossip and find out where the skeletons are hidden.

• Love 3