Type keyword(s) to search

Daryl: Your Leading Man and Norman Reedus: the Actor

• Start Topic

kept wanting to see the two of them walking out of the same cell in the morning, maybe dropping each other's hand as they emerged.  That kind of thing would be plenty for me.

Yeah, I don't really want to see Daryl fucking in the bushes, and Bob and Sasha already be-moaned the lack of privacy while on the run.

I don't need to see anyone knocking boots; implications of intimacy are completely fine by me (wearing Daryl's vest, a blink-and-you-miss-it glimpse of a hand-hold, arriving/leaving together, waking up right near each other etc.) Or, a quick, almost stolen kiss while on a task, when others are not looking their way...that would suffice.

• Love 2

I don't need to see anyone knocking boots; implications of intimacy are completely fine by me

Seriously. S1 when Lori and Shane were doin' like they do on the Disovery channel out in the woods it was a big WTF moment for me. I'm not a prude, but I kept thinking "Did I really need to see that?" Glenn and Maggie didn't bother me as much for some reason, but I'm way over it with those two as well.

• Love 2

Didn't MMB recently say that Caryl was basically fan fiction.  She said that Daryl and Carol had a strong connection but all the romance talk had nothing to do with what was happening on the show.  Shipping has been very kind to MMB, so for her to come out and basically debunk Caryl means that she's probably had enough. I know how she feels.

• Love 2

Didn't MMB recently say that Caryl was basically fan fiction. She said that Daryl and Carol had a strong connection but all the romance talk had nothing to do with what was happening on the show. Shipping has been very kind to MMB, so for her to come out and basically debunk Caryl means that she's probably had enough. I know how she feels.

I don't think so. Every interview I've read with her she's been very positive on the pairing. And it wouldn't serve her professional interests to quash Caryl. NR is hugely popular and keeping their characters connected for as long as possible would be desirable.

• Love 1

I just came across a couple of hot pictures that I would link ...... if I knew how.   Maybe everyone's seen them already, but one is Danai and Norman, in character, sitting on a motorcycle together.  The other - MMB with her arms wrapped around Norman's neck and planting one on him.  What's interesting is that Norman has the shorter hair of earlier seasons - have they been teasing that relationship that long?

I agree with those who feel that, even if Daryl continues to open himself up emotionally to others, he's not going to suddenly become totally comfortable being all demonstrative with the PDA.

I was floored by the hug he gave Carol. That was him as open and vulnerable as I've ever seen him and it happened in front of witnesses. Perhaps because he didn't really have time to school his reaction or downplay his response Carol's reappearance...don't know but it made me tear up a little.

I completely agree with everyone who says they don't need to see a big huge romance between Daryl and Carol (or anyone else), dripping with PDAs.  I don't think it would be in character for either of them.

Yeah... if Daryl starts going all Alan Alda touchy-feely on us, I'm leaving.  That's a lot of what killed the last few seasons of M*A*S*H for me.

Yeah, I don't really want to see Daryl fucking in the bushes, and Bob and Sasha already be-moaned the lack of privacy while on the run.

At least we know Daryl knows enough to keep it out of the poison ivy.

Edited by Nashville
  • Love 3

Didn't MMB recently say that Caryl was basically fan fiction.

I think she was sayiing that Daryl's relationship with Carol on the show has not explicitly been WRITTEN as romantic, but the fans have run with it. I don't think she's necessarily saying that they're wrong, but that the show has not set them up like, say, Maggie and Glenn. It's not clear; it's been left to interpretation. Whether it will remain that way is anyone's guess. But of course, that's partly why there's that interminable "Carol or Beth" debate. Neither one of the ladies nor Daryl has seen fit to label their relationship, so the fans can run amok. :)

I think she was sayiing that Daryl's relationship with Carol on the show has not explicitly been WRITTEN as romantic, but the fans have run with it. I don't think she's necessarily saying that they're wrong, but that the show has not set them up like, say, Maggie and Glenn. It's not clear; it's been left to interpretation. Whether it will remain that way is anyone's guess. But of course, that's partly why there's that interminable "Carol or Beth" debate. Neither one of the ladies nor Daryl has seen fit to label their relationship, so the fans can run amok. :)

Well, what she DID say was that the relationship WASN'T romantic and that all this Caryl stuff was create by the fans.  She even mentioned that she's seen some fan fiction and was surprised by how out there it was.   So if the actor who plays the part says the writers didn't write a romantic relationship and it's totally made up by the fans, isn't she saying there's no there there? And wouldn't she (and NR) know best?

Nothing I can say is going to make the tiniest difference when even the actor who plays the part is disbelieved. So I'm out.

I just came across a couple of hot pictures that I would link ...... if I knew how.   Maybe everyone's seen them already, but one is Danai and Norman, in character, sitting on a motorcycle together.  The other - MMB with her arms wrapped around Norman's neck and planting one on him.  What's interesting is that Norman has the shorter hair of earlier seasons - have they been teasing that relationship that long?

Norman Reedus has pictures like that with everybody.

Neither one of the ladies nor Daryl has seen fit to label their relationship,

And wouldn't she (and NR) know best?

Nothing I can say is going to make the tiniest difference when even the actor who plays the part is disbelieved. So I'm out.

Norman Reedus did say in an interview that as far as Daryl is concerned, Carol is his girl.

Norman Reedus has pictures like that with everybody.

Norman Reedus did say in an interview that as far as Daryl is concerned, Carol is his girl.

I saw that interview and Reedus did say Carol was his girl but he said it the same way I would say Michonne was my girl.

But hey, agree to disagree.

• Love 1

So if the actor who plays the part says the writers didn't write a romantic relationship and it's totally made up by the fans, isn't she saying there's no there there? And wouldn't she (and NR) know best?

I think it means that the relationship has not been written as romantic, and I'd agree. Doesn't mean that it might not evolve to that or that a foundation for it to go there hasn't been built.

Honestly, I think she was trying to be diplomatic and not piss off fans from any quarter.

Regardless, I don't take what actors say as gospel because they don't write the show and many actors will say things to generate buzz and will often flip flop depending on which way the wind is blowing.

she's seen some fan fiction and was surprised by how out there it was.

Heh. Out of curiosity, I peeked at some Caryl fanfiction and as someone who has a high smut tolerance, I must say I was shocked by a lot of it. Much of it didn't really seem in character either, so it didn't even read as Carol and Daryl to me.

If the writers came out and said "Carol and Daryl are just friends; it's all they'll ever be", I'd totally accept that. But I don't think they've done that? And I wouldn't blame them or the actors for saying things which keep their options open...

MMB with her arms wrapped around Norman's neck and planting one on him.

There are quite a lot of pics like that with Melissa and Norman..I half wonder if that's partly behind the "Caryl" phenomenon...

Edited by NoWillToResist

I peeked at some Caryl fanfiction and as someone who has a high smut tolerance, I must say I was shocked by a lot of it.

I was shocked by stories so riddled with errors in grammar, spelling (sometimes even names, i.e. "Darly") and punctuation that they were unreadable.

But there are some beautifully written stories out there. You just need to dig through all the drivel to find them.

• Love 4

God no! I don't need another ship! :)  I'm at the point where I love what the show has done with Daryl and Carol's relationship. I'm happy if it stays as is, but I also don't think I'd riot if the show took them down a romantic path. It's rare for me to be happily on the fence. I don't want to be drawn into wanting more because of well written fanfic... :)

I can't wait for next week's episode....

• Love 1

Well, what she DID say was that the relationship WASN'T romantic and that all this Caryl stuff was create by the fans. She even mentioned that she's seen some fan fiction and was surprised by how out there it was. So if the actor who plays the part says the writers didn't write a romantic relationship and it's totally made up by the fans, isn't she saying there's no there there? And wouldn't she (and NR) know best?

I'm not saying I disbelieve you or MMB. I just haven't seen any interviews out there where she says that. Almost all of what I've seen has been like this: http://www.accesshollywood.com/the-walking-dead-qanda-melissa-mcbride-talks-warrior-carol-and-fan-hopes-for-daryl-dixon-romance_article_76983

• Love 1

I think this is what causes so many ships to set sail, inadvertently or otherwise.

Seems like the moment two actors have chemistry in their scenes together, people start to pay attention. Throw in emotional closeness, emotional support, caring about each other, and BOOM, it gets shipped.

And that ship remains in limbo until such time as TPTB deign to throw in a kiss/sex/dialogue which makes the duo canon romantically. As far as Daryl/Carol is concerned, I think they could 'drag it out' indefinitely. Considering their environment and their histories, it would be very in character to go at a glacial pace, so this debate could last a long time...

I do NOT want to see any googly eyes, longing gazes or mooshy romances. I've more than had my fill of that with lovebirds Maggie and Glenn.

What I would expect to happen, what with all these mature people living on top of each other, adrenaline danger rushes occuring regularly, is more of the Andrea/Shane 'Hey, let's go!" spontaneous kind of thing.  I mean, seeing that you never know if today is going to be your last and all, why not?

• Love 2

I do NOT want to see any googly eyes, longing gazes or mooshy romances. I've more than had my fill of that with lovebirds Maggie and Glenn.

What I would expect to happen, what with all these mature people living on top of each other, adrenaline danger rushes occuring regularly, is more of the Andrea/Shane 'Hey, let's go!" spontaneous kind of thing.  I mean, seeing that you never know if today is going to be your last and all, why not?

Agreed. Even back on the farm in Season 2, when Dale asked Glenn "What were you thinking?!" Glenn replied (sensibly, IMO) "I was thinking that I might be dead tomorrow."

When I see discussion of current-day "hook-up pros/cons" I think...yeah, that wouldn't matter anymore than any other habits from life before the ZA.

People are eating food off the railroad tracks, wearing pants that could stand up by themselves, shitting in a prison...like you'd care that you've only known that hot guy for 5 minutes!

That's why I rejected the whole Karen thing...she's like oh, you care about me, you help me, you sing to me and cuddle me and don't even use swear words around me---you can have a chaste dry kiss but I'm not ready for more.

Well, you're dead now lady, what were you waiting for? At least you weren't faced with uh I'm going to try and catch the eye of the least violent rapist out of these 5 thugs and maybe he won't pass me around.. hoo-ray.

Sorry, but I wouldn't even care especially in CDB : it has the strange juxtaposition of some of the hotter guys we've seen on the series; yet the inevitable jinx of quick doom just being in their group. That spells jump'em and jump'em quick; at least in my book.

• Love 3

That's why I rejected the whole Karen thing...she's like oh, you care about me, you help me, you sing to me and cuddle me and don't even use swear words around me---you can have a chaste dry kiss but I'm not ready for more.

OH gawd, that was worse than Maggie/Glenn. I rejected that whole Romeo and Juliet, diabetes-inducing thing so quickly and thoroughly I forgot it ever happened til you mentioned it. You forgot about the bouquet of flowers Tyrese lovingly picked (while everyone else was at the fence stabbing zombies through the chain link) for his wooing campaign, just before he found her rather well-done corpse. Maybe a few of his tears were induced by the thought, "Damn, and I never even got any before she became toast!"

ETA:

...like you'd care that you've only known that hot guy for 5 minutes!

That's how I see it. Who has time or a need for leisurely romance? It's not as though you have a traditional future to map out together - things like where you'll live, who's invited to the wedding, how many children you want, career choices, 42" or 55" TV,  etc. or have any family left to have opinions or objections about your choice of a mate

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 4

LC (Maggie) said Norman is disgusting he tries to lick everyone.

I've seen pics like that too. One with SY and another with EK comes to mind. They're kind of trapped since they can hardly tell him to fuck off with a camera on them.  It's pretty damned gross. Does he think that just because his legions of fangirls would like him licking their faces like a dog that everyone else enjoys it too? That's just nasty.

• Love 4

HuffPo 9/15/14: "'Walking Dead' Cast Reveals Norman Reedus Licks People"

Daryl Dixon's big secret has finally been revealed, but it's not what you think.

Though we still don't know whether or not Daryl is gay, we have learned something about the actor who plays him. In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, the cast of "The Walking Dead" divulged that Norman Reedus actually likes to lick people as a greeting. After hearing the news, even the walkers are probably like, "Gross, dude."

Co-stars Andrew Lincoln and Lauren Cohan dished the dirt on Reedus, with Lincoln even describing the crossbow-wielding zombie killer as "a licker, not a fighter."

The story includes four evidentiary photos (including the one kikismom posted above).

• Love 2

I'm not wrong in thinking the pic is of smoke coming out of his nose, right?

Reminds me of that picture (I think it's legit) of MMB blowing out smoke and NR is leaning towards her and sucking it in.

Smoke is just such a turn-off for me. Don't care how hot the shot is in every other respect...if they're smoking, they get an 'ew' from me.

I also now need to find a way to work "dirty fuckers. All of you" into my conversations.  Considering the people I hang out with, I don't think this will be particularly difficult. :D

Edited by NoWillToResist
  • Love 3

That just seems...unsanitary. Hell, I'm not sure I want people I love to LICK MY FACE, never mind coworkers. That's just...so strange.

Yeah, I can think of maybe two exes and a friend I had a big crush on that I'd put up with that from, and I'd find it off-putting even in those cases.

Agreed. Even back on the farm in Season 2, when Dale asked Glenn "What were you thinking?!" Glenn replied (sensibly, IMO) "I was thinking that I might be dead tomorrow."

When I see discussion of current-day "hook-up pros/cons" I think...yeah, that wouldn't matter anymore than any other habits from life before the ZA.

People are eating food off the railroad tracks, wearing pants that could stand up by themselves, shitting in a prison...like you'd care that you've only known that hot guy for 5 minutes!

Well, you're dead now lady, what were you waiting for? At least you weren't faced with uh I'm going to try and catch the eye of the least violent rapist out of these 5 thugs and maybe he won't pass me around.. hoo-ray.

Sorry, but I wouldn't even care especially in CDB : it has the strange juxtaposition of some of the hotter guys we've seen on the series; yet the inevitable jinx of quick doom just being in their group. That spells jump'em and jump'em quick; at least in my book.

Karen just didn't want to get knocked up I can't really blame her for that. Plus Karen was old enough to have more common sense than hormones. I don't think it really had any bearing on how she felt about Tyrese. Its hard to understand from our perspective but people really do see sex differently when there is no birth control around. That's always something I find interesting about these types of shows they bring up all sorts of reactions and issues from an anthro/social perspective.

That's something that might complicate things for Beth and Daryl down the road actually. At Beth's age she would get pregnant fairly quickly if she's having regular sex. Although I wouldn't put it past the writers to ignore it (or Beth and Daryl for that matter, niether of those two are particularly good a self control).  Its bordering on plot hole with Glenn and Maggie at this point after all.

• Love 1

That just seems...unsanitary. Hell, I'm not sure I want people I love to LICK MY FACE, never mind coworkers.

I can think of one person I wouldn't mind face-licking me. But coworkers? Just the thought of that is...gah!

As for NR, the fact that he's an animal lover makes me forgive all the other stuff, including the licking and the bragging about his balls. Heh..

• Love 3

Karen just didn't want to get knocked up I can't really blame her for that. Plus Karen was old enough to have more common sense than hormones. I don't think it really had any bearing on how she felt about Tyrese. Its hard to understand from our perspective but people really do see sex differently when there is no birth control around. That's always something I find interesting about these types of shows they bring up all sorts of reactions and issues from an anthro/social perspective.

That's something that might complicate things for Beth and Daryl down the road actually. At Beth's age she would get pregnant fairly quickly if she's having regular sex. Although I wouldn't put it past the writers to ignore it (or Beth and Daryl for that matter, niether of those two are particularly good a self control).  Its bordering on plot hole with Glenn and Maggie at this point after all.

Pregnancy worries get brought up indeed, when we discuss reasons not to have sex.

Yet if we discuss where are they getting their tampons, everyone says with the malnutrition and stress they haven't been having periods for a long time.

Anorexics stop having periods, so do women in internment or concentration camps.

So are they super-ovulating pregnancy prone; or not at all? Can't be both ways, can it?

• Love 2

I'd let any animal lick my face or hands any day, but there isn't a man alive who'd get away with that shit, ever.  I have a well-honed gag reflex when it comes to human saliva.  Thanks, no doubt, to grandmas' proclivity for wiping children's faces with spit on a hankie back in the day.  :-)

• Love 2

Karen just didn't want to get knocked up I can't really blame her for that.

Oh, but there are lots of ways to have fun without the fear of getting knocked up. Just my opinion but I thought it looked silly seeing a woman Karen's age pulling the virginal Doris Day act.

• Love 1

Oh, but there are lots of ways to have fun without the fear of getting knocked up. Just my opinion but I thought it looked silly seeing a woman Karen's age pulling the virginal Doris Day act.

Seriously. And did she take a good look at Tyrese?

Before the prison virus Maggie thought she might be pregnant and Glenn made a comment about there not being an endless supply of condoms anymore. So they have addressed it with those two.

• Love 2

Well, depending on where our group grew up in the States, I would not be at all surprised to find that their sexual education was...lacking. I suspect most of them think their choices are abstinence or intercourse  :).

Using one's hands and/or mouth, or certain objects...those are all totally workable and don't have much risk of pregnancy. But I doubt we'll hear about that on the show.

A show which has no issue showing viscera every day has to draw the line at decency somewhere, right? ;)

As far as Daryl is concerned (just realized that I'm in his thread, so I guess I should mention the man), I imagine that sex has never involved feelings before and since he can't just fuck and run where the ladies of CDB are concerned, sexytimes with someone else is not something that has crossed his mind.

Edited by NoWillToResist
  • Love 2

As far as Daryl is concerned (just realized that I'm in his thread, so I guess I should mention the man), I imagine that sex has never involved feelings before and since he can't just fuck and run where the ladies of CDB are concerned, sexytimes with someone else is not something that has crossed his mind.

Loveytimes would be what hasn't crossed his mind.

But even if he can't just fuck and run, he should remember the group he's in...where you can fuck and they get killed soon enough that you don't have to see them anymore.

• Love 3

Doesn't work. In the kind of small group he's been running with you're going to be at least pretty good acquaintances, if not actually friends, before you end up in bed with each other. He may be cynical, but not "looking at the lives of those close to you as disposable" cynical. Maybe when he was on the road with Merle, and they only hung around for a few days before stealing supplies and running, but those days are over.

The only time CDB had enough people that he didn't know everyone well was in Season 4a. Or, technically, also between 3b and 4a. Theoretically, he might have hooked up then. And now, I'm thinking about how much deeper the Carol story could have been if she'd killed someone Daryl liked, instead of just temporarily pissing off Tyreese the big fluffy pacifist. Daryl not only has an extremely savage side to his personality, but he also has a hell of a lot more of personal connection to Carol. Might have been a much better story.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 1

Sometimes when I make a joke (or what I think is joking) it's a little too oblique.

You make good points...but I really only wrote that because it seemed less rude than suggesting Daryl should hook up with the 12-year-old girls on this show---they don't have long-term relationships with anyone.

But now I've gone and said it.

SMH.

• Love 4

where you can fuck and they get killed soon enough that you don't have to see them anymore.

See, I think that's as funny as hell. Many a person involved in a workplace romance that ended badly could only hope for such a way out..."Maybe he/she will be eaten by zombies and I can avoid this awkwardness."

• Love 4

Sometimes when I make a joke (or what I think is joking) it's a little too oblique.

You make good points...but I really only wrote that because it seemed less rude than suggesting Daryl should hook up with the 12-year-old girls on this show---they don't have long-term relationships with anyone.

But now I've gone and said it.

SMH.

At least now I don't feel so badly for laughing.

• Love 4

Pregnancy worries get brought up indeed, when we discuss reasons not to have sex.

Yet if we discuss where are they getting their tampons, everyone says with the malnutrition and stress they haven't been having periods for a long time.

Anorexics stop having periods, so do women in internment or concentration camps.

So are they super-ovulating pregnancy prone; or not at all? Can't be both ways, can it?

Except tampons are a lot easier to find and don't go bad the same way birth control does. Tampons also don't effect the way people behave but Birth control does. Plus there's still plentty of rags around if nothing else. People have gotten pregnant in internment camps and all kinds of extreme situations.  Its just more likely in Beth's case than most of the others in the group. Plus once they get to a stable place with a steady food supply(like the Alexandria safe zone) ovulation starts to resume pretty quickly. Natural Birth control methods are really ineffective and get less effective the younger you are much less likely to be regular. I'm less interested in the nuts and bolts of something like this but rather people's reaction to it. I just think Beth's reaction could be interesting let alone Daryl's.

Seriously. S1 when Lori and Shane were doin' like they do on the Disovery channel out in the woods it was a big WTF moment for me.

The Bloodhound Gang, PunkyMouse? Very appropriate.   :)

I read that as women on the internet and was extremely confused for a minute.  All this talk of pregnancy in the post ZA world makes me really glad I had a hysterectomy.  I could hop on Daryl with no worries.  :)

• Love 5
PUNKYMOUSE, ON 09 NOV 2014 - 5:18 PM, SAID:
Seriously. S1 when Lori and Shane were doin' like they do on the Disovery channel out in the woods it was a big WTF moment for me.

The Bloodhound Gang, PunkyMouse? Very appropriate.   :)

Well, IIRC they could have both watched X-Files. ;)

I think pregnancy would be a very real worry. Yes, in extreme situations a woman might cease having her cycles, but if we're talking about Karen - I don't think that would be applicable to her. She was living at Woodbury, which was the nicest ZA setup we've seen. And then she went straight to the prison. We have no reason to believe she's malnourished, or physically at her max; no reason to believe she'd stop having regular cycles. 

Personally, I don't think just because it's the ZA it would become one, big hedonistic free-for-all. I can definitely see how the decline of society could lead to a lot more casual sex. And, also, when you could die any day - I can see people wanting to live in the now, and connect with others in a way that makes you feel very much alive. So, yes, I'm sure a lot of people would just be getting it when and where they could, and I pass zero judgment on that. But I don't think EVERY person would be like that. 

As with other aspects of life, some people would be like Hershel and want to hold onto their old standards no matter what. We don't know much about Karen, but it's quite possible she was the type of girl who only had sex when she was in a very loving, committed relationship. Maybe she still wanted to hold onto that. Babies aside, there are other concerns - disease for one. Condoms aren't just down at the corner store anymore, and there's certainly no clinics to check if you picked up anything. Plus, for many people, carnal relations often lead to more entangled emotional relations. And should something go wrong, it's not that easy to just cut and run. You depend on your community for your safety. Maybe Karen wasn't as into Tyrese as he was into her (could you blame her, with that singing?), and didn't want to risk getting too serious and having to live with each other if it didn't work out. 

There are a myriad of reasons as to why someone who would avoid sex in the ZA. I think there might be just as many people being MORE picky about it than there would be people throwing all previous standards to the wind. 

• Love 4