Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: Far Too Long

• Start Topic

Damn Charley! I was on the fence about it but I wouldn’t be surprised if Charley is related to the Landrys and Boudreauxs. That was some cold and sneaky stuff she did to her friend and lying to Davis like that so she can get him to St Josephine and on the team and get the money for the mill. She’s risking losing Remy doing this.

Darla is trouble getting in RA head like that. They both need to remember if it wasn’t for Charley’s money RA would be in jail for violating his parole obligations or working a low paying job he doesn’t like so he doesn’t violate his parole. That said, I do like Ralph Angel’s idea and it may be better than Charley’s with the mill. 

All this miscommunication with Hollywood and Vi makes my eyes roll. They are too old for this. Vi could at least ask Hollywood why he didn’t see her before walking off. Hollywood could’ve approached Vi and told her he’s working on the divorce. Ralph Angel could’ve said something. I hope nothing happens to Hollywood at the Rig making Vi regret her actions on taking a break from him.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

All this miscommunication with Hollywood and Vi makes my eyes roll. They are too old for this.

Yeah, Vi's being pretty silly at this point. They are tiptoe-ing around her because of her anger, and too many things are being left unsaid. I'm hoping that now she'll have to grovel to get Hollywood back.

The only good thing about that storyline is that golden, tipsy conversation between RA and Hollywood. One of my favorite things about the way Southerners talk is that they use a lot of affirmations of truth. RA and Hollywood used four in just six sentences: "You right 'bout dat," "Ain't nobody say you ain't," "Now ain't that the truth," "You ain't lyin'". I LOVED it.

Charley is cold.

I don't want Calvin to come back. Okay, he left his wife. That doesn't make their life together disappear. What about his kids? I hope he's focusing on them, too, instead of just trying to get Nova back.

I really liked Roberta this time. "He gon' buy us dranks."

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Love 3

And now it begins, Darla's pernicious influence on RA.

Aunt Vi ain't slick, showing up at the farm all dressed up with a pan of macaroni and cheese. Poor Hollywood got sold out by RA. It looks like Vi may have thawed for a minute but is now definitely moving on.

Charley is like black ice--a danger you don't see until it's too late. That was something the way she put the screws to Felix's wife. Not sure I liked her telling a white lie about her son to work Davis into coming to New Orleans though. It's clear she wants that basketball deal and will do whatever it takes to get it, including using her child to manipulate her husband.

"...hush was a puppy, tater was a tot." Never heard that one before.

I thought Nova knew Calvin had left his wife? Whatever, it's already out that Greg Vaughan has left this show to return his daytime soap so Calvin and Nova are likely done for good. What a waste, especially after their scorching scene that opened the series.

Greg Vaughan claims that he's doing both shows and that this one takes precedence, so his Days of Our Lives character goes offscreen  for a while when he's shooting Queen Sugar. So I don't think we can count out Calvin based on casting news.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Charley is like black ice--a danger you don't see until it's too late. That was something the way she put the screws to Felix's wife. Not sure I liked her telling a white lie about her son to work Davis into coming to New Orleans though. It's clear she wants that basketball deal and will do whatever it takes to get it, including using her child to manipulate her husband.

You know, I am not gonna lie I LOVED seeing this part of Charley.  Not because I think it is admirable or anything, but because it shows how Charley became the powerful CEO she is.  There is no way she could have risen so high and not have done her share of dirty dealing.  We got lulled into thinking all sorts of thoughts because our first and only view of Charley so far has been of a betrayed wife, a loving mother, a grieving daughter and a struggling sibling.  Our only view of her business acumen has been in relation to the farm and that has not been stellar because it is so far out of her wheelhouse.  But it feels like her introduction to the Landry/Beaudreauxs has made her remember that high stakes business with high stakes money is not the realm of politeness and honorable handshakes.  I swear I watched her hustlin' damn near everybody with a horrified glee.

Nova's talk with Melissa Harris-Perry was damn near perfect.  How is it that a quick five minute scene could so easily break down BLM, the place of women and LGBTQ in civil rights movement leadership, the relationship between protesters and police, Prison reform, show some sweet eye-sex between Nova and Calvin, and manage to get a shout out that Nova is one of the Divine 9?  I guess Nova did not need Chantal's talking points after all?

And speaking of Calvin, damn that boy came back and brought receipts!  He got the charges against Too Sweet dropped and left the wifey.  I had always figured that Nova and Calvin had a long, rocky, complicated relationship and this conversation kinda reinforced that.  Her speaking of her heartbreak finally lets us know that Nova wasn't ok with the state of her relationship with Calvin before.  I still wonder how long they've known each other?  I hope S2 fills in some of the blanks there. But again, I cannot lie, I was happy to see Calvin show up.  Yeah it is wrong cuz, you know...married with kids and all ... but he is so damned pretty!

I dunno about Darla and Ralph Angel.  My spidey senses are tingling and telling me that this is not a good idea.  But, the official Queen Sugar account on twitter is giving them hearts-eyes and saying it is a "new beginning" and Ava Duvernay herself is asking people to come up with a ship name for them.  So I wonder if this is supposed to be a positive development --  story of redemption for both RA and Darla?

I can't believe it is the finale already next week.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I thought Nova knew Calvin had left his wife?

I think he threatened to leave his wife but didn't actually do it - we don't know for sure though because we only heard one reference to it via Nova's half of a phone conversation after she ended things. And if I recall correctly, in that conversation she didn't seem to want him to end things with his wife; I think she said something like "don't make leaving about me," because I guess she was thinking her relationship with him was really over. I'm kind of interested in seeing where this goes - it would be a HUGE unraveling, given that no one seems to know he exists. Charley and Vi just know she was involved with a married man; when they were planning the funeral she said something like "If you come, you'll just be sitting with a bunch of people I can't introduce you to." The only person who's even seen a picture of him is Nova's most recent ex. "How did you meet?" would be a really fraught question. Whatever their relationship was, it seems like it was more than just some fun on the side - it seems like she was really with him and loved/loves him, and he appears to love her. I think their opening scene in the pilot, which was nothing but tender, was intended to show that.

Charley is ruthless, and I liked seeing that side of her too. You know it was there - you don't become a CEO at her age without mowing over a few folks.  I've also noticed that they always seem to dress her in black and white - she's worn a couple of different black and white color-blocked dresses. I'm kind of looking forward to Micah confronting Davis next week though.

I don't understand why Vi and Hollywood don't just have a damn conversation like two grown people over forty. Damn. They could have done it right in the kitchen when Vi brought over the mac and cheese.

• Love 4

Damn Charley. She was stone cold manipulative business woman all around. 

Consdering all Michah's gone through he seems pretty well adjusted. He was having a study group and they were actually studying. Charley didn't even think or care as to what Davis returning could do to hurt him? Not to mention Remy, she hasn't thought what Davis living there would do to her plan of divorce and moving on?  

I was thinking Remy was too good to be true, he had to have something going on. But he handled that blow off date really well. It's looking now that he's too good for Charley and he's the one not realizing Charley isn't who he thinks she is.  Poor Remy.

Darla seems pretty manipulative herself trying to turn RA on his sister. She needs to stay out of it. RA also needs to remember who his family is and who stood by and helped him when Darla was a mess. Vi never should have signed those papers. 

I was so happy to see Calvin, he looked amazing in the audience. Then he also helped TooSweet and left his wife for Nova. He has been busy!  OWN/Queen Sugar commented on Greg doing DAYs and they said it wouldn't conflict with his Queen Sugar season 2 taping. 

Vi and Hollywood act more immature than the teens. 

• Love 3

Yeah, Vi's being pretty silly at this point. They are tiptoe-ing around her because of her anger, and too many things are being left unsaid. I'm hoping that now she'll have to grovel to get Hollywood back.

It seems that way from the previews. Vi overplayed her hand. I didn't blame her for being upset at Hollywood because he was wrong for not telling her about his 'for insurance only' marriage. However, he did try to make it right. She wants him to beg and work overtime to get back into her good graces, yet, she keeps him at arms length. She can't have it both ways. Good on Hollywood for leaving.

I didn't think Darla overstepped. RA was upset and she told him not to discredit his work; regardless of whether or not Charley sees it.

Edited by Sheenieb
  • Love 1
On 11/24/2016 at 10:00 AM, Panopticon said:

Greg Vaughan claims that he's doing both shows and that this one takes precedence, so his Days of Our Lives character goes offscreen  for a while when he's shooting Queen Sugar. So I don't think we can count out Calvin based on casting news.

Well I hope he sticks around, although, I have such mixed feelings about this relationship, because of the marriage and the kids, oh the kids. That being said, he's fine. But you gotta take of your kids as in be there. His kids looked like they were of elementary school age. So he needs to be home for dinners and tuck ins, and little league and shit like that. Not to mention, his hours at home can't be all that good as it is, since he's a cop.  I need more info. on his marriage before I give an inch on that aspect, but the kids...I don't play with the kids. I'm not saying you stay in a marriage if it's just not working out for the sake of the kids. But if you're going to leave then initially most of your free time should be spent with your kids, at least initially, because they're  little and are going to have a tough time adjusting.  I mean he just left home so...

I so need more background on this relationship.

I can't with Vi and Hollywood, whoever said they are too damn old for this type of miscommunication is right  on.  I mean the older you get the more time you're running out of, I don't have the patience, who has the patience? You cut the chase, end of story.  She says something to the effect of you've been home for said amount of time and you haven't come to see me, and he stands there unable to say that I wanted to come to you when I was officially a free man and my divorce was final. I want you to know I'm serious blah, blah, blah...Are you kidding me that this kind of dialogue couldn't take place with folks who are over 40 years of age. What? She's in her mid to late 50's and he's in his late 40's, I know he's younger. But come on man, they are both mature enough.

This Charley I liked a lot.  I have no problem with what she did, and it showed her cut throat side which there is no way she could not have and survive in her business. 

Micah and his girlfriend are cute.

I don't know what is going to happen with Darla and RA, but please don't let her relapse, that's all I ask. 

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, DearEvette said:

We got lulled into thinking all sorts of thoughts because our first and only view of Charley so far has been of a betrayed wife, a loving mother, a grieving daughter and a struggling sibling.

We got hints of how ruthless Charley could be when she got Miriam to help her pick Lena's brain, by proxy and pressured Coach Ross for his support by reminding him how loyal she and Davis had been to him, including helping him keep his job.

And given how fast the other wives, were willing to abandon Charley so quickly, in the name of self preservation, justifies whatever treatment they get imo.

• Love 2
On 11/23/2016 at 11:56 PM, Arcadiasw said:

All this miscommunication with Hollywood and Vi makes my eyes roll. They are too old for this. Vi could at least ask Hollywood why he didn’t see her before walking off. Hollywood could’ve approached Vi and told her he’s working on the divorce. Ralph Angel could’ve said something. I hope nothing happens to Hollywood at the Rig making Vi regret her actions on taking a break from him.

I wanted to smack Vi for throwing away that macaroni and cheese; it's a sin to throw away food like that, just because your expectation weren't met?  I was like, "poor little girl, do you want a pony?"  Vi needs to grow the fuck up.

I love seeing this side of Charley.  You don't become a CEO by being kind all the time.

Well I hope he sticks around, although, I have such mixed feelings about this relationship, because of the marriage and the kids, oh the kids.

So Calvin should stay with his wife forever just because he has kids?  Shit, kids can tell when a marriage is done, some even wish the parents would split.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

So Calvin should stay with his wife forever just because he has kids?  Shit, kids can tell when a marriage is done, some even wish the parents would split.

Yeah i have to agree with this.  I know a lot of people are "think of the children" when it comes to parents splitting but sometimes the splitting is thinking of the children.  Children are very tuned in to vibes between parents, sometimes more than the parents even know.  My parents divorced when I was about 10 years old and let me tell you, it was a relief!  Neither of my parents were terrible or anything but let's just say I liked hanging at my grandmother's house, it was more relaxing there.   My house was just ...tense.  After my dad moved out it was such a relief, it was like our whole house sighed with relief.  My sister once told me years later that she felt the same way. My parents were much better parents apart than together.  Nowadays when they are in company with each other at like weddings and births of grandchildren stuff you'd never know they had an unhappy marriage. 

I got the impression from Nova's brief, angry little conversation with him on the phone that she didn't want him leaving his wife to be about her.  In other words if he felt he needed to leave it would be because of him and how he felt about his marriage, not about her.  Having listened to various interviews with Rutina Wesley talk about Nova, I can see her reasoning something like that through, how Nova is ok with grabbing her small bits of bittersweet happiness with this man she loves, but she doesn't want to be cast in the role of homewrecker.  If his home is gonna be wrecked, then he is going to be the author of it, not her.

• Love 5

OMG, Nova and Calvin.... There are few times we get to see her smile, and It's clear she has real feelings for that man. And he for her. I just wish his marital/family situation wasn't what it was. Because otherwise, I'm all about those two.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Did I say that? 

I don't believe I did, quite the contrary.

I believe in my post I specifically said that you don't stay in a marriage for kids. The sentence below was literally in my post:

I'm not saying you stay in a marriage if it's just not working out for the sake of the kids.

These are my words above, that were in my post on the subject of staying in a marriage just for kids. I'll go back and bold them. But what I did say was and stand by it, is that kids come first. I'm all for Calvin and Nova, I'm all for Nova getting some attention period in the love department as she is my favorite character. But again, especially where kids are involved, you have to put them first and that means in addition to leaving a marriage that is not working out you also have to make sure you're putting in time with those kids, so they don't feel left behind.  And I'm not saying he's not doing that, maybe he is, but I'm going with him being swept up in his "freedom" and love for Nova which seems real and deep and in his need to make up for lost time, that this tough adjustment for his kids may be slipping his mind. So, I posted that this is what concerns me most about this relationship and I stand by it.  I also said that I wanted to know more about his relationship with his wife. I'm interested in how long he was having this affair with Nova and how long he was with the woman he married. I interested in finding out if he ever was really in love with his wife, stuff like that I would find interesting to know. 

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 7
On 11/24/2016 at 3:49 PM, Dee said:

Vi is on my list for throwing away an entire freshly made pan of macaroni and cheese!

Whatever mood you may find yourself in, you don't throw away the mac and cheese!

Don't judge me, but if the mac and cheese had not spilled out all over the place (it seemed she had the tin foil on pretty tightly)?  I would have taken it out and eat it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 14

Vi reminds me of this saying, "Expectation are resentments waiting to happen."  When Hollywood didn't act the way Vi thought he should, she resented him and threw out the mac and cheese, which to me was a HUGE sin on her part.  Shit Vi, what did the food do to you?

• Love 4
On 11/24/2016 at 7:27 AM, DearEvette said:

I guess Nova did not need Chantal's talking points after all?

Exactly my thought when I watched the scene.

On 11/24/2016 at 8:59 AM, Artsda said:

Darla seems pretty manipulative herself trying to turn RA on his sister.

That's certainly a valid way to look at it. My take was more that she was being supportive of the man she loves. And for once, Ralph Angel actually had a good, business idea.

I was more emotional about the macaroni and cheese than Vi and Wood (who were just annoying). I thought "nooo" when she threw it away, and then like @Trace, wondered how tightly it was covered.

I can't say as I liked Charley much in this episode. I totally get this shows the ruthless side that made her a CEO, and that it's interesting to see her in her element, but even if her friend's support fell away, threatening to blow up her world in that particular fashion crosses a line for me, not to mention using your kid to manipulate your soon-to-be ex. I've always been more or less pro-Charley, but she kind of lost me there.

• Love 6
21 hours ago, Trace said:

Don't judge me, but if the mac and cheese had not spilled out all over the place (it seemed she had the tin foil on pretty tightly)?  I would have taken it out and eat it.

I know right. When she threw that out I was like , 'Noooooo!' Cuz I'd lay money that Aunt Vi's Mac & cheese was excellent.

• Love 3
On 11/25/2016 at 5:54 PM, Keepitmoving said:

Did I say that? 

I don't believe I did, quite the contrary.

I believe in my post I specifically said that you don't stay in a marriage for kids. The sentence below was literally in my post:

These are my words above, that were in my post on the subject of staying in a marriage just for kids. I'll go back and bold them. But what I did say was and stand by it, is that kids come first. I'm all for Calvin and Nova, I'm all for Nova getting some attention period in the love department as she is my favorite character. But again, especially where kids are involved, you have to put them first and that means in addition to leaving a marriage that is not working out you also have to make sure you're putting in time with those kids, so they don't feel left behind.  And I'm not saying he's not doing that, maybe he is, but I'm going with him being swept up in his "freedom" and love for Nova which seems real and deep and in his need to make up for lost time, that this tough adjustment for his kids may be slipping his mind. So, I posted that this is what concerns me most about this relationship and I stand by it.  I also said that I wanted to know more about his relationship with his wife. I'm interested in how long he was having this affair with Nova and how long he was with the woman he married. I interested in finding out if he ever was really in love with his wife, stuff like that I would find interesting to know. 

Agreed. Even if Calvin will be mindful of those kids, it will still be hard in them and chances are they will feel abandoned by him. My niece and nephew, who are 10 and 8 now would cry and ask their mom why dad wasn't home or why he left (to go be with his mistress). Calvin's kids look to be pretty young too and like it or not in leaving his wife he's also leaving his children.

On 11/26/2016 at 2:32 PM, Trace said:

Ok George Costanza! 🤣

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Just recently discovered this show, finished Season 1 last night. I knew Greg Vaughan from Days of our Lives and that he'd left to do Queen Sugar but didn't really know anything about it. I love family dramas and adult sibling relationships are my jam so I'm loving this so far.

Since I'm years behind everyone else it's silly to even comment, lol, but just wanted to mention one thing - in the bar Lena tells Charley she'll divorce Felix's ass if he signs with Milwaukee because "if you haven't noticed, there's not a lot of black folks living there".  I thought that was an odd remark since Milwaukee was one of the primary destinations of the Great Migration and is still 39% Black according to the latest census.  I mean, I can understand the wealthy wife of an NBA star not being excited about Milwaukee for many reasons, especially compared to LA or NYC, but "not a lot of black folks" shouldn't be one of them. Maybe she meant "not a lot of RICH black folks" and didn't want to come off as snobbish. *shrug*

Just wanted to get that off my chest, lol. On to Season 2!

• Love 1