Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: Breakout Capacity

CooperTV
  • Start Topic

President Dalton waits for election results; at the same time, Elizabeth discovers information that leads her to believe Iran may be in violation of their peace deal with the U.S. Meanwhile, there's romance in the air among some of McCord's staffers; and Jason challenges his parents by supporting one of Dalton's presidential competitors.

Promo pics

I enjoyed Erich Bergen/Blake singing and playing the piano — a nice send off before the hiatus.

Perhaps a less universal like: I enjoyed the various hookups with their sheepish mornings after.

The crisis of the week was less enjoyable for me because it gives hints of the Trumpocalyse, which the writers likely didn't forsee.

ETA: I hope the son will now be less annoying.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

Yes, I know a million things happened in this episode, but I particularly liked Jason being called a poser and dilettante. Granted, it was by Major Professor Superspy ArmCandy, but at least Henry's walked the walk. That kid's been cruising for a smack upside the head for awhile now. (And I'm not saying I enjoyed him being thrown to the ground by a SWAT team.)

As for the electoral politics, well, the timing couldn't be worse with the real world. 

Also: Elizabeth IMMEDIATELY picked up that Nadine and Mikey had gone home together. The CIA training really kicked in. 

Have we seen that much of Hayes before? He seems to be presented as having parts of both Obama and Sanders. And frankly, Secretary of Education is not a very enticing reward for endorsing Conrad. He could/should get a lot more. I think he'll definitely play a role in the endgame, but I can't really imagine a scenario where Conrad actually loses (in Madam Secretary world). He's just shown his tough side, putting what he thinks is best for the country before his campaign (in a Bartlet-like manner), and on this show, that frequently gets rewarded.

• Love 7

Never heard the phrase "your knowledge is a mile wide and an inch deep" which makes you a poseur, a dilettante.  That was so fascinating and so true.  

Hearing Erich Bergen sing a Frankie Valli song was so fine, since he was in the Jersey Boys movie.  Loved that little wink.

The German Shepherd and Nadine -- another great moment.

Did not like Daisy flirting with Matt right after she'd broken up with her boyfriend.  Do not do that to Matt.

Russell Jackson looks absolutely awful.  

The ambush at the end was intense -- wow.  

• Love 5

When the tv first came up in the bar, it showed the polls closing in 30 minutes, but then what seemed immediately afterward, they called Ohio (1 hour west of DC) for Dalton.  Oops.

I didn't really understand Russel's agitation at losing the coalition one day after the ship boarding.  It would seem to me that the President would come right out and say "Iran has abrogated the agreement and we unilaterally embargoed a ship carrying centrifuges designed for nuclear weapons production.  We stopped probable nuclear proliferation".  Period.  More info to follow.  Besides which, there's  two months before the House votes, anyway.  There is time enough to campaign the House for your votes.  And, to be sure, time enough to screw up.  But, the Russia/US partnership announcement was a worthwhile workaround anyway.

The delegates from the eight undecided states were almost laughable.  "We hate Reynolds because he wants to go to war.  But unless you can guarantee beyond a shadow of a doubt that you will not take the nation to war, we will go with the guy who wants to go to war."  Yeah, that's a plan.

Note to State Department staff:  Election Day does not postpone the world.  Drink (and fornicate) responsibly.

I couldn't find any reference to the labor strife that Henry showed to Jason.  Does anyone know if something actually occurred there?

I caught one small editorial slip.  In the conference with the wavering delegates, Bess referred to Dalton as "Dalton", rather than "the President".

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Dowel Jones said:

I caught one small editorial slip.  In the conference with the wavering delegates, Bess referred to Dalton as "Dalton", rather than "the President".

She could be trying to be personable. Might just be highlighting her close relationship with him.

Also, during the vote part, it snapped me out of it and reminded me of what happened here in the real world.

• Love 1

"Oh man, I wished that they revisit the relationship between Matt and Daisy!" said no one ever. 

In all seriousness, I definitely get the appeal, as they have them both under contract and they're not really doing anything else (outside of Matt's one spotlight episode this season), so this way they kill two birds with one stone, just like they did in Season 1, but boy, that's a pretty weak relationship to be revisiting.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

When the tv first came up in the bar, it showed the polls closing in 30 minutes, but then what seemed immediately afterward, they called Ohio (1 hour west of DC) for Dalton.  Oops.

Caught that too, but they didn't say which polls were closing in 30 minutes. It could have been the west coast states. Of course, no media company would ever call a state that early. 

It's an interesting exercise trying to map this show onto the real world. We know because of appearances by Madeleine Albright and Condoleezza Rice that the Clinton and Bush administrations existed in this show. And we know Dalton is a Republican (albeit a moderate one who turned independent). So my best guess is Dalton defeated Obama in 2012 and is now running for re-election. 

Of course, this makes him losing the primary rather unbelievable. Republicans don't primary their incumbent presidents. But I guess the writers think it's a logical extension of Tea Party candidates knocking out candidates in Congress. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

...Russell Jackson looks absolutely awful....

Was that supposed to be a nosebleed when he was alone in the back seat of the car? Maybe he's on chemotherapy? But didn't they have his wife allude to high blood pressure or something else last season?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Was that supposed to be a nosebleed when he was alone in the back seat of the car?

He had a piece of toilet paper stuck to his lip, very close to his nostril.   I assume he cut himself shaving.  But the show has been telegraphing ill-health for Jackhole for quite a while.  Perhaps it's an exit-strategy, maintained in case it is needed?

• Love 3
Spoiler

I'm probably in the minority but I find the characters/actors for Matt and Daisy awful. I could do without both of them and wouldn't miss them at all. 

I think Matt would be great if they enhanced the fish-out-of-water angle due to his Muslim background. I still wonder if Daisy was the leaker in that previous episode, now that could be an interesting storyline for her. Let's also not forget that Patina Miller is a fantastic singer. I actually agree with the quote above I am just trying to salvage their storylines because that are most likely under contract. Writers, just don't put Matt and Daisy together again, because I can be of no hope to you then....

• Love 1
1 hour ago, scribe95 said:

I find the characters/actors for Matt and Daisy awful.

While I'm not terribly fond of either of them, I don't have anything against them, or specifically dislike them.  However, their entire personal relationship / love-affair from season #1 was horrible, in that the two had absolutely zero chemistry.  None whatsoever.  Pairing them up struck such an artificial chord that I was very happy when they put an end to it.  And I'll be most unhappy to see it re-introduced.

I think Matt would be great if they enhanced the fish-out-of-water angle due to his Muslim background.

I don't get any "fish-out-of-water" vibe from his character.  Certainly can't think why his being a Muslim would give him one.  I can't remember if it was ever mentioned before, but the recent episode where his donations to his mother's mosque were questioned was the first time I had any inclination as to his religious beliefs, background or up-bringing.  

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, MaryHedwig said:

I think Matt would be great if they enhanced the fish-out-of-water angle due to his Muslim background. I still wonder if Daisy was the leaker in that previous episode, now that could be an interesting story line for her. Let's also not forget that Patina Miller is a fantastic singer. I actually agree with the quote above I am just trying to salvage their story lines because that are most likely under contract. Writers, just don't put Matt and Daisy together again, because I can be of no hope to you then....

It appears that the writers want to keep Matt/Daisy together for the comedy because otherwise, the relationship issue conversations between them are really awkward. Matt was doing just fine moving forward without her. Elizabeth has been doing just fine on State Department business without the Mike B consultant character, but now we get that dog in Nadine’s bedroom. Russell’s degrading posture signals some kind of health issue. IMO.

51 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

While I'm not terribly fond of either of them, I don't have anything against them, or specifically dislike them.  However, their entire personal relationship / love-affair from season #1 was horrible, in that the two had absolutely zero chemistry.  None whatsoever.  Pairing them up struck such an artificial chord that I was very happy when they put an end to it.  And I'll be most unhappy to see it re-introduced.

I don't get any "fish-out-of-water" vibe from his character.  Certainly can't think why his being a Muslim would give him one.  I can't remember if it was ever mentioned before, but the recent episode where his donations to his mother's mosque were questioned was the first time I had any inclination as to his religious beliefs, background or up-bringing.  

2x15 "Right of the Boom":  Nadine/Matt discussion at her apartment when Matt spent overnight at her place after conference bombing.

30 minutes ago, VinceW said:

2x15 "Right of the Boom":  Nadine/Matt discussion at her apartment when Matt spent overnight at her place after conference bombing.

Didn't remember this.  But if anything, it reinforces my point.  Matt's beliefs have not significantly impacted his character.  Not as far as I've noticed, anyway.

30 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

Didn't remember this.  But if anything, it reinforces my point.  Matt's beliefs have not significantly impacted his character.  Not as far as I've noticed, anyway.

Totally Agree....I hope there is a better reset of both the Matt,Daisy characters after the hiatus.  

Edited by VinceW
2 hours ago, VinceW said:

It appears that the writers want to keep Matt/Daisy together for the comedy because otherwise, the relationship issue conversations between them are really awkward. Matt was doing just fine moving forward without her. Elizabeth has been doing just fine on State Department business without the Mike B consultant character, but now we get that dog in Nadine’s bedroom. Russell’s degrading posture signals some kind of health issue. IMO.

If it weren't for the actor who plays Mike B. being a regular on Lethal Weapon, I would be worried about them trying to do some sort of conflict with Mike B. stepping in for an ailing Russell. 

5 hours ago, scribe95 said:

I'm probably in the minority but I find the characters/actors for Matt and Daisy awful. I could do without both of them and wouldn't miss them at all. 

3 hours ago, MaryHedwig said:

...Let's also not forget that Patina Miller is a fantastic singer....

And, as I mentioned on another thread, when she's just being herself in an interview, she's attractive and engaging. Daisy is okay by herself, and Matt too, but not together. I don't know why that is. Maybe the actors had a falling out in real life? Or maybe one or both have a jealous partner IRL?

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Netfoot said:

We did know that he is half-Pakistani, but I agree that I don't see him as a fish out of water at all, and I don't see any need to twist his lackadaisical religious beliefs into that. He has said several times that he's not really religious - I was raised Catholic and I'll still go to church with my family, but it's not a part of my life at all anymore. I kind of got a similar vibe from him, though maybe not quite to the same extent.

• Love 1

I seriously think Jason McCord is the most selfish, obnoxious, disrespectful brat in history, and I have no idea why Bess finds him charming. He's entitled and spoiled and I'm sure there's many a military school/boarding school who could take him. I found his t-shirt really cruel and insulting to his mother. 

• Love 4
On 11/28/2016 at 0:15 PM, shapeshifter said:

Was that supposed to be a nosebleed when he was alone in the back seat of the car? Maybe he's on chemotherapy? But didn't they have his wife allude to high blood pressure or something else last season?

From Broadwayworld.com, CBS Scoop -  5:31 PM, December 5, 2016:

"The Race" (3x10) - When a possible Israel-Iran war threatens the House's imminent vote on the U.S. presidential election, Elizabeth attempts to bring the two reluctant countries to the negotiation table in an effort to broker a peace between them. Also, Russell's life hangs in the balance after a heart attack, on MADAM SECRETARY, Sunday, Dec. 18 (9:30-10:30 PM, ET/ 9:00-10:00 PM, PT) on the CBS Television Network. Emelyn Daly returns to guest star as Henry's niece, Sarah.

WRITTEN BY: David Grae (He gets the dramatic episodes)

DIRECTED BY: Eric Stoltz

We saw Russell running on a treadmill last season (scolded/encouraged by his wife, who is a doctor maybe? Also at one point, Henry chided him for eating a big, greasy sandwich (HENRY would never have a heart attack!), and he did say to Elizabeth earlier this season: you KNOW I have a heart condition, right? So this isn't out of thin air at all.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, kwnyc said:

We saw Russell running on a treadmill last season (scolded/encouraged by his wife, who is a doctor maybe? Also at one point, Henry chided him for eating a big, greasy sandwich (HENRY would never have a heart attack!), and he did say to Elizabeth earlier this season: you KNOW I have a heart condition, right? So this isn't out of thin air at all.

Maybe to wrap up his role on the show OR change his status to recurring because of health issues OR a start at winding down the series.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, Scott said:

I can't find the rules on what consists a spoiler, but might this not be considered one?  (It's a fairly obvious and highly telegraphed one, granted, but still...)

The 3x10 episode synopsis was released by CBS Access to the media sites after 5 PM last Sunday which hardly makes it a spoiler. 

1 hour ago, VinceW said:

The 3x10 episode synopsis was released by CBS Access to the media sites after 5 PM last Sunday which hardly makes it a spoiler. 

I think that depends - I've been on forums where anything related to an unaired episode is considered spoiler because some people avoid everything related to unaired episodes. Since I read episode recaps before watching episodes, I really don't care either way, just saying that some might consider it a spoiler even if it was released on the network site.

• Love 1

And that's why I asked.  It certainly was news to me, and something I would have preferred not knowing (again, it was expected, just would have been nice to be surprised as to the timing).  If we're going to be posting synopses from two episodes down the line in a particular episode's thread, I need to adjust how I read this site.  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, VinceW said:

Maybe the post needs to be fixed and put under the hidden content bar? Or rather, there's supposed to be Spoilers Only thread for this show.

20 minutes ago, Scott said:

And that's why I asked.  It certainly was news to me, and something I would have preferred not knowing (again, it was expected, just would have been nice to be surprised as to the timing).  If we're going to be posting synopses from two episodes down the line in a particular episode's thread, I need to adjust how I read this site.  

I posted it here in this episode recap because there was discussion above about Russell's ongoing health on the show.  I think you are confusing a spoiler with a teaser. 

I do believe that Russell suffering from a heart-attack is a spoiler, however, does it matter what it is called? Some people prefer not to know anything about the upcoming episode and that includes previews, teasers, synopisis, and it can even include guest stars.

I think a spoiler thread would be nice, maybe a spoiler and speculation thread even.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, VinceW said:

I posted it here in this episode recap because there was discussion above about Russell's ongoing health on the show.

I understand the relevance. I just would have preferred it have been behind a spoiler box (or redirected to the existing spoiler thread).

We obviously disagree, and that's fine. That's why I was asking the question, to see what my expectations should be, and see what everyone else's were as well.

• Love 1
(edited)

I loved the balance of intensity and humor in that episode. Several things made me laugh out loud but I think my all-time favorite exchange is between Walter and Jay, when Jay mentions that he doesn't suppose they're making toasters and Walter says that they actually do. Whoever came up with that - brilliant. Brilliant delivery, too.

Bess rushing out of her office without shoes and Blake following her with the shoes was fun, too. And I loved how everyone on Walter's floor scrambled to stand up when Bess barged in and she had her hair pinned up, almost wouldn't have worn shoes and so didn't care.

I wasn't sure what to think of Walter when he made an appearance in S2, he seemed to slow things down but he's really grown on me and I really liked him this time around.

I thought Daisy's behavior at the hotel was a bit odd, leading Matt on and then leaving with Win. But okay. Wouldn't really have cared for Matt and Daisy leaving. Nadine was fun, or rather, her reaction to Matt rambling about his relationship with Daisy. So not what she wanted to hear or cared about and Neuwirth' acting was just great in that moment!

I guess, Bess got out of attending the Dalton event after all, though I don't think that this is how they envisioned they'd be spending election night. I love how they're portraying the Dalton-Bess relationship this season and that, after the Sterling debacle, Russell has sort of accepted Bess' value and that Dalton seems to be really relying on her and on the fact that he wanted her to become Sec of State for a reason. And I guess, with Russell sort of more accepting, Dalton doesn't have a little devil in his ear, sowing doubt. It's also very in tune with him wanting her to become VP, so I like how they're following through.

Jason is officially a brat. He's a teenager, sure, but a brat, too, and that conversation between Henry and Jason after Jason attended the rally was brilliant. I understand that they wanted to support freedom of speech and all that but Jason's still a child, so I think I wouldn't have let him get away with things so easily though. For starters, I probably would not have allowed him to use any McCord credit card anymore and would have told him that from now on, if he wants something, he can buy it from money he earns himself, since, apparently, his parents' are too establishment for him. I wouldn't have punished him for wearing the t-shirt but the attitude. Wearing the t-shirt is fine, the attitude was not.

Same for the rally, I probably wouldn't have allowed him to go because that is what parents can do. They can say no without it being about freedom of speech or anything. It would have been different had it been Stevie, since she's over 21, so legally, not a child anymore. But Jason is.

The beginning with Bess and Henry voting was cute though.

ETA: I totally ship Nadine and Mike B. I like them together. Although, I have a hard time imagining Mike B expressing any kind of feelings. I guess, I now know why Bess made the comment that she hadn't known that he felt pain back in S1 ;-) Great acting, too, in that scene in Bess' office when Gordon hopped off the sofa to walk over to Nadine. Bess' look... Blake's, too. He definitely noticed.

Edited by CheshireCat
  • Love 2