Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E02: The Well

halgia
  • Start Topic

A tiger.  A Tiger.  Oh Shiva, that's a TIGER.   Hold on a minute... there was actually other things that happened?!  Sorry, my attention was captured by zoo time.  Is it wrong that I just wanted to pet the really big cat and give it a hug??

Gorging the pigs on walkers.  Nice.  Take that, you Savior bastards.

Was Carol's 'tripping out' in the beginning a sign of emotional-mental trauma or a result of pain/fever from her injuries?  The seeing living people in place of the walkers.

The unimportant little people of the WD universe really are sheep.  So, a guy walks in with a tiger, and you automatically fall to your knees in supplication?  Too bad there weren't things like guns, spears, or poison to put in its food to take care of the tiger if felt it was needed to be removed from the situation... oh, wait.

When the show first started, they made it seem like the actual number of still living people was like amazingly miniscule - and those finite tiny population numbers continually dropping as time went on - but over the last few seasons, it seems communities are popping up left-right & center, and that's just in the GA/NC/VA-DC area.  Not sure where I'm going with this, but especially after last week, it just seems that what started out as a 'never will be a happy ending to this story' is turning into a 'there's (good) light at the end of this really long and extremely dark tunnel' endgame.  Kinda confusing.

ETA:  Is this season going to follow the same pattern as last year, continually trading off episodes with this percentage of the cast in an episode, and the remainder in the next episode, and so on, etc?   If so, not really looking forward to it. 

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 3

The whole "rot in their bellies" makes zero sense, since the Tron Knights have to slaughter and dress the pigs out.  All they're accomplishing is making their process grosser.  Anyone who has ever dressed an animal out knows you don't feed them right before.   Seemed childish and pointless, but then again there seems to be a bunch of assholes in Negans group.   I'm pretty sure that if Negans bunch got sick on the pork there would be hell to pay.   Just more work for them.  

I don't see this ending well for Ezekiel.  He's effectively lying to his people by keeping them in the dark.  How is it that Negan has apparently never paid the Kingdom a visit?   So these people are sort of like Woodbury(drinking lemonade) and ASZ (choirs, pasta makers, movie night) who are completely in the dark about the outside world?   Meh.   I smell a bunch of red shirts.   Stick boy goes first.  

• Love 5

I'm pretty sure Negan has visited the Kingdom at least once. I'm sure they received the same treatment as ASZ & Hilltop with one of their own being Lucille'd as that's how Negan introduces himself. Possibly doing one of the pick ups of food Negan possibly visited the Kingdom to make sure they're doing what they're suppose to before agreeing to meet at a specific location. I think Jesus said that the Saviors & Negan came to Hilltop on more than one occasion. 

• Love 2

But didn't Ezekiel say that if the people knew they had to give stuff to Negan they would want to fight? Had Negan been there, the cat would be out of the bag.   If one of their people got Lucilled, wouldn't that make them want to fight instead of singing in the choir? l  I don't see how Negan would allow them to be comfortable in their fools paradise.   Movie night?  Those movies are Negans.  That tiger is Negans.  Those horses are Negans.   I got the impression that good old Zeke has been hiding Negans existence from the non Tron people.  

• Love 1

Yes everything belongs to Negan, but do you think that Negan would be able to control Shiva? I think Negan is smart enough to know that he would be unable to control Shiva so therefore Shiva can stay with Ezekiel. He probably don't want the tiger at his camp. Shiva is dedicated to Ezekiel since Ezekiel found her at the zoo being one of the last animals standing and took care of her, Negan didn't do that.  I think the groups that Negan done Lucille'd are too small to take on Negan and his army of Saviors. Groups would have to team up and build a big army to take down the Saviors. So if ASZ, The Kingdom, and Hilltop team together they may have a fighting chance.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, ShadowSixx said:

I'm pretty sure Negan has visited the Kingdom at least once. I'm sure they received the same treatment as ASZ & Hilltop with one of their own being Lucille'd as that's how Negan introduces himself. Possibly doing one of the pick ups of food Negan possibly visited the Kingdom to make sure they're doing what they're suppose to before agreeing to meet at a specific location. I think Jesus said that the Saviors & Negan came to Hilltop on more than one occasion. 

Wouldn't other residents of the Kingdom know if one of the residents was Lucilled? I would love to see a flashback story of how the Kingdom was created. The skysscrapers in the background were disconcerting. that isn't the skyline of Washington DC.

Adding my own (worthless) two cents to the last few posts, I can see the logic in thinking that Negan would leave Shiva & Ezekiel be, in terms of getting what he wants from these groups/communities.

What better way to get more production/goods from people then let them feel 'safe' and 'content' when he & his Saviors aren't around?  Unhappy - and especially dead - people can't be as easily owned or used to get & be given whatever you want from them.  Thus, that means letting the leaders live and 'lead' the groups as they had been doing before he found them.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 1
51 minutes ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

A tiger.  A Tiger.  Oh Shiva, that's a TIGER.   Hold on a minute... there was actually other things that happened?!  Sorry, my attention was captured by zoo time.  Is it wrong that I just wanted to pet the really big cat and give it a hug??

Gorging the pigs on walkers.  Nice.  Take that, you Savior bastards.

Was Carol's 'tripping out' in the beginning a sign of emotional-mental trauma or a result of pain/fever from her injuries?  The seeing living people in place of the walkers.

The unimportant little people of the WD universe really are sheep.  So, a guy walks in with a tiger, and you automatically fall to your knees in supplication?  Too bad there weren't things like guns, spears, or poison to put in its food to take care of the tiger if felt it was needed to be removed from the situation... oh, wait.

When the show first started, they made it seem like the actual number of still living people was like amazingly miniscule - and those finite tiny population numbers continually dropping as time went on - but over the last few seasons, it seems communities are popping up left-right & center, and that's just in the GA/NC/VA-DC area.  Not sure where I'm going with this, but especially after last week, it just seems that what started out as a 'never will be a happy ending to this story' is turning into a 'there's (good) light at the end of this really long and extremely dark tunnel' endgame.  Kinda confusing.

ETA:  Is this season going to follow the same pattern as last year, continually trading off episodes with this percentage of the cast in an episode, and the remainder in the next episode, and so on, etc?   If so, not really looking forward to it. 

I am curious what percentage of the US population would be alive after 2 years of the ZA? What did Jenner state at the CDC? It has never been explained how some families like Rick's were immune to the virus.

• Love 1

I thought it was interesting seeing all those zombies as the people they used to be. You really do just dismiss them as monsters at this point. It seems a very long time ago that Rick was saying "I'm sorry this happened to you" to that crawling torso zombie back in the beginning, and took the wallet from the zombie whose guts they needed to escape Atlanta, to get in touch with its humanity before they eviscerated it.

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, oakville said:

I am curious what percentage of the US population would be alive after 2 years of the ZA? What did Jenner state at the CDC? It has never been explained how some families like Rick's were immune to the virus.

Nobody is immune to the virus, the guy at the CDC told Rick that everyone has the virus and when they die they all turn no matter in what manner they pass away.

Edited by ShadowSixx
  • Love 9

Negan would simply shoot the ridiculous tiger with an AR15 or whatever automatic weapon he has at hand.  If he can force them to give him shit, he can easily shoot Their pet tiger. If they stand by while he kills humans, they ain't doing shit to stop him killing an animal.    Who needs to control it?  He would just neutralize the threat.

but it's just bad writing, and another case where following the comic is frustrating.  The actor playing Ezekiel is great, but the role is ridiculous.  Don't make him talk like adouchebag.  Don't have the stupid tiger, or replace it with a wolf.  At least a well trained Doberman.  And someone has to be able to find a better wig.  That's just embarrassing to wear.  Even Darys oil slick is slightly better.  

Also, Negan is not the type to let people live in peace and contentment.  His thing is terror and total submission.  He's not letting those clowns have a choir.  

Edited by Mu Shu
  • Love 7

Hilltop lives rather well as well as they grow food and have trailers and the big house. Negan takes a good percentage of what they got and remind that he doesn't take everything as Negan says he needs them alive in order to produce for him. They can't do that if they're starving and weak. Negan doesn't take everything he takes a percentage.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, ShadowSixx said:

Hilltop lives rather well as well as they grow food and have trailers and the big house. Negan takes a good percentage of what they got and remind that he doesn't take everything as Negan says he needs them alive in order to produce for him. They can't do that if they're starving and weak. Negan doesn't take everything he takes a percentage.

So in effect, after Negan kills someone in your group he's a benevolent Extortionist?  All Rick and company need to do is produce, and he'll let them have choirs and cobblers too?   That sounds too easy,  but if that were the case, id say fuck it and slaughter him some hogs and even cure some bacon.  Hell man, cut pieces off Daryl.   It's movie night, I have a pomegranate, and I can't be bothered.

wait, pomegranates grow in Virginia?  

• Love 4
3 hours ago, candall said:

Sorry!  I just grinched five minutes ago because I had to google an unfamiliar acronym and there were 82 possibilities. 

Post-apocalyptic headquarters for Good and Evil in The Stand, right?

Yeah, I found that, although only a few things came up, and not all of them were for The Stand. I thought it sounded familiar, but I heard something about Trump being in both places recently, and I didn't know if something had happened. 

30 minutes ago, Mu Shu said:

14 hours ago, GodsBeloved said:

I love that Ezekiel did acknowledge that keeping Shiva wasn't practical and that she eats as much as 10 people.

I wonder if maybe that was literal?

As in... they have a daily lottery... and those who get picked become tiger food... and it sometimes actually takes ten people to fill her up. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, CletusMusashi said:

As in... they have a daily lottery... and those who get picked become tiger food... and it sometimes actually takes ten people to fill her up. 

I don't think there's a lottery, but I admit I was wondering how long Negan's lot might keep the tiger well fed. 

7 hours ago, ShadowSixx said:

Nobody is immune to the virus, the guy at the CDC told Rick that everyone has the virus and when they die they all turn no matter in what manner they pass away.

Very true, but a majority of the population died from the virus outbreak. How did Rick's family survive the initial flu? The chances of one family not being affected by the initial virus is remarkable.

• Love 2

I didn´t like this episode, it was strange alright, and not in a good way. Usually I would have liked such a Carol-focused episode but the silliness spoiled it. There are so many random things that have gone wrong with the series. Never keeping them together and loosing most of the best characters are some of them. All these strange "kingdoms" and the crazy people in charge of them are getting way more ridiculous and this one bored me. At least the king wasn´t talking to Maggie or staring into the eyes of Rick for 3 episodes. I´m angry that Morgan is still alive. If only he could have been with the group when Negan was killing. If I could go back and change stuff, I would have them working together like in Alexandria, and building up defenses while having some personal stuff happen. Then when the wolves attacked, or a zombie horde, they would have been prepared and we´d have seen them win more.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, CletusMusashi said:

Now why did you have to go and rain on my parade? Here is a group who is self sufficient, who have built a nice community with lights no less, who are quite proficient in dealing with walkers, who has a leader who actually cares about those following him. A group that is not CDB yet who has all this goodness but ... there is eeevviiillll afoot. @CletusMusashi why did you have to go and kill my dream? WHY????

Edited by GodsBeloved
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, oakville said:

Very true, but a majority of the population died from the virus outbreak. How did Rick's family survive the initial flu? The chances of one family not being affected by the initial virus is remarkable.

But the original group has several families that survived the initial flu. The Morales family, Carol's family, Andrea and her sister, Daryl and Merle. Later we see the Greene family and Tyreese and Sasha.

• Love 1

No one died of the virus- they died after being bitten by a walker. It's never been revealed the exact mode of how the whole thing started. We have no reason to think anyone is immune- everyone still alive has just not been bitten, and everyone dead was bitten. 

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, Juliegirlj said:

No one died of the virus- they died after being bitten by a walker. It's never been revealed the exact mode of how the whole thing started. We have no reason to think anyone is immune- everyone still alive has just not been bitten, and everyone dead was bitten. 

Most of the population got a flu& died. They turned into walkers & bit other survivors of the original flu.

it is weird that several families didn't get sick from the initial flu

• Love 1

it is weird that several families didn't get sick from the initial flu

I'm thinking it's like any other strain of flu (Bird, swine, etc) in that it may hit a lot of people but never everyone.

I love that Ezekiel did acknowledge that keeping Shiva wasn't practical and that she eats as much as 10 people.

But not all at once, I hope.

• Love 1
On 10/31/2016 at 6:06 AM, icemiser69 said:

Carol acting like a disrespectful asshole to a leader of a group that saved her life.  She doesn't have to buy into the whole king thing, but anyone with a pulse who has never met her should be able to tell tell from the start she was coming off as a complete phony.  She didn't have to respect the king, but she at least should have had enough respect  that he has that groups leader saved her life.

I don't care what happens to Carol at this point, she has turned into a jerk.

SEVERAL standing ovations to this.  I hate Bitchy Crocker with her "Oh gee wiz willickers golly jeepers" routine with the fake ass smile.  It was SOOO damn phony & overdone I think even Judith would have seen through it.  And yes, to be such a condescending asshole to people who saved her life??? I hope Shiva eats her, vomits her up because she is so distasteful, and a zombie eats it.  Also, while I'm on the Carol hate train, whatever salon in the ZA is still giving her that ridiculously hideous haircut needs to be Lucilled.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
45 minutes ago, Juliegirlj said:

No. Shane snapped Randall's neck and he turned and that's when Rick had to come clean about everyone having the virus. Shane was stabbed by Rick, Hershel was decapitated, Governor stabbed Milton, Patrick got the flu, and they weren't bitten and they turned into walkers. Everyone has the virus.

• Love 3

Judith as well as Maggie's fetus are the question marks. Both were conceived by infected parents and carried by infected mothers, but neither lived in the world when the virus was first spreading. Would that give them some hope of immunity?

• Love 6

When was Lori infected at the time of giving birth?

Now that I thought about what you're saying I hear ya. Because everyone has the virus and will turn after they die if a woman is pregnant with the child will the child be immune?

I'm thinking in TWD universe, the child won't be immune since the virus only comes forward when you die. If Lori had died before Maggie pulled Judith out of Lori you might have something to work with with Judith being immune but since Lori was alive I don't think Judith would be immune to it.

Edited by ShadowSixx
11 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

Negan would simply shoot the ridiculous tiger with an AR15 or whatever automatic weapon he has at hand. 

Don't have the stupid tiger, or replace it with a wolf.  At least a well trained Doberman.  

So he'd blow away the ridiculous tiger with an AR15 but not a wolf or a well trained Doberman?

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 5

Okay - to break it down.  Everyone living, at some non-specific point in time - got infected with the walker virus.  If you die - no matter how - you turn.  You die of a heart attack, you turn.  You die from a car accident, you turn.  Some man runs you through with a sword, you turn.  If a walker bites you, an infection sets in incredibly fast and THAT kills you.  And then you turn.  The bite doesn't give you the virus - you already have it.  It just creates an infection that spreads quickly, unless you can cut the infected part out darn quick (like Hershel's leg).  I don't recall anyone saying it was a flu that everyone got, though the creators of the series have compared the spread of the virus like the Spanish Flu.  I assume the first couple of deaths were natural (accident or illness), and when those people turned, they then started biting people, which accelerated the dying.  And the first couple of million people would have been caught unprepared, as they weren't used to people coming back from the dead.  LOL

• Love 6
15 hours ago, ganesh said:

I'd like to think there's people like in Idaho living in the valleys and farming with a basic government in place while the rest of these yahoos are killing each other and playing with tigers.

I like that idea. When I tortured myself with Revolution, I liked to think that only the USA had lost all power and only thought it was the whole world. The rest of the countries were just sitting back and watching the idiocy unfold.

11 hours ago, ShadowSixx said:

Ezekiel is good at keeping secrets from his people. He could have made up a story to explain someone's disappearance. 

Like maybe a group being over-taken by walkers and 7-8 people (including Karate Kid 4's dad) not making it back...

35 minutes ago, Irishmaple said:

Judith as well as Maggie's fetus are the question marks. Both were conceived by infected parents and carried by infected mothers, but neither lived in the world when the virus was first spreading. Would that give them some hope of immunity?

Does immunity really matter? Survivors this long into the ZA know to about a brain puncture after death. At some point, the walkers should eventually start to thin out and then being sure your dead are "really most sincerely dead" will just be a part of life. There doesn't appear to be any side effects at all while you're alive. And since no one seems to be interested in any sort of science, there's no way at all to test Judith, Baby Gleggie, or choir director's baby anyway.

Edited by morgankobi
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Wryly said:

I thought it was interesting seeing all those zombies as the people they used to be. You really do just dismiss them as monsters at this point. It seems a very long time ago that Rick was saying "I'm sorry this happened to you" to that crawling torso zombie back in the beginning, and took the wallet from the zombie whose guts they needed to escape Atlanta, to get in touch with its humanity before they eviscerated it.

I thought this was an interesting reminder, too.  I wouldn't mind seeing more of that effect--it seems natural you'd lose sight of how the zoms used to be just like you before they were dangerous goo with teeth, and that remembering would give you a jolt.

But on the aftershow, they were very proud of themselves for using "five sets of identical twins" to create the effect, which suggests it was just a one-time clever stunt.

Back to grey matter dripping off barbed wire baseball bats, guys.  /s

• Love 1
On 10/31/2016 at 10:46 AM, Ohwell said:

I haven't read the comics, but already Ezekial is getting on my nerves with this "kingdom" shit and that awful wig of dreadlocks.  But the choir singing was what sent me over the edge.  I'd rather see Negan and his crew.

I've had the same issue with Michonne's wig from jump...

• Love 2
1 hour ago, morgankobi said:

And since no one seems to be interested in any sort of science, there's no way at all to test Judith, Baby Gleggie, or choir director's baby anyway.

I'm continually annoyed at the seeming lack of intellectual curiosity. I get much of the show was everyone fighting for survival, but still. They did show the one guy at Woodbury, which I thought would be cool, but no. That's been it. 

I mean, we met two actual science people? That's it?

• Love 11

The initial Sunday Cable Ratings are in for "The Well":

Episode 2 of “The Walking Dead” fell by more than usual after the huge premiere for Season 7.

The show was still Sunday’s No. 1 show on cable by a huge margin, and it will end up as the week’s top show overall after DVR viewing is factored in. But its 6.1 rating in adults 18-49 and 12.46 million viewers were down about 27 percent from the 8.4 and 17.03 million for the season premiere.

That’s about twice as big a decline from the premiere to episode 2 as in recent seasons.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/sunday-cable-ratings-oct-30-2016/

Edited by Raven1707
To clarify this is the preliminary report
  • Love 2

Looks like no one has commented on this yet, but I took the pomegranate business as a reference to Persephone in Hades. She ate six pomegranate seeds and was unable to leave the underworld. After some negotiation, the gods settled on an annual six month sentence in Hades, during which winter gripped the earth as her mother mourned her absence, and six months of freedom above, when Demeter rejoiced and summer and bounty returned to the land.

So perhaps if Carol ate the pomegranate seeds, or any other of the proffered fruit, she wouldn't be able to leave The Kingdom?

• Love 7
1 hour ago, TheOtherLibrarian said:

Looks like no one has commented on this yet, but I took the pomegranate business as a reference to Persephone in Hades. She ate six pomegranate seeds and was unable to leave the underworld. After some negotiation, the gods settled on an annual six month sentence in Hades, during which winter gripped the earth as her mother mourned her absence, and six months of freedom above, when Demeter rejoiced and summer and bounty returned to the land.

So perhaps if Carol ate the pomegranate seeds, or any other of the proffered fruit, she wouldn't be able to leave The Kingdom?

I thought about that when she refused, the first time. I don't think he would force her to stay, though, or to come back. He did his best to talk her into staying, but didn't lock her up. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, TheOtherLibrarian said:

I like that theory, but I just can't imagine this show being that deep.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ganesh said:

I'm continually annoyed at the seeming lack of intellectual curiosity. I get much of the show was everyone fighting for survival, but still. They did show the one guy at Woodbury, which I thought would be cool, but no. That's been it. 

I mean, we met two actual science people? That's it?

Maybe all of the scientist died or the group haven't reached the next lab yet. The last lab was in Atlanta and the next one close to CDC that I know of is the Lawrence Berkley National Laboratory in Tennessee. Even though at the time Eugene, Abe, & Rosita were headed to Washington D.C. The group is in Virginia and they can either go to Washington D.C. or Tennessee and see if any scientist are still alive and explain what caused everything.

You don't really need a "lab." I don't necessarily mean a character like the CDC guy. I know that isn't that kind of show. The guy who was working for the governor had his own thing going on. I some people like that. Or even someone walking around just collecting and sharing information on whatever. People trying to actually figure things out, like Eugene wanting to make bullets. 

It would be interesting if the defeat of Negan stemmed from the fact that they all don't know how to do anything for themselves.

Oak Ridge is in TN btw. 

• Love 4
22 hours ago, Ocean Chick said:

"Take from the well, give to the well"  Sounds like we're back at Grady hospital.  At least Zeke seems more amenable than Dawn? 

Well, Dawn's cops basically kidnapped people and then kept them in debt to them. The Kingdom people seem to be there voluntarily and all Ezekial is asking is that everyone contribute. I'm not certain, but I doubt there are people being raped by his enforcers. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Ocean Chick said:

Okay - to break it down.  Everyone living, at some non-specific point in time - got infected with the walker virus.  If you die - no matter how - you turn.  You die of a heart attack, you turn.  You die from a car accident, you turn.  Some man runs you through with a sword, you turn.  If a walker bites you, an infection sets in incredibly fast and THAT kills you.  And then you turn.  ,

It's all very nebulous. We've seen people take all night to turn, and others (like Shane, e.g.) turned the second their hearts stopped beating. A little more consistancy might have been appreciated.

16 hours ago, ShadowSixx said:

He may have. But he may not have. Negan's people never came to ASZ. They got Rick and co. to come to them. Maybe Negan's people came across some of the Kingdomers out on the road, and a similar thing went down. We might never know, but I don't think Negan HAS to have been to the Kingdom in order to deal with them. When Rick and co. were at Hilltop, Hilltoppers were coming back from a meeting with Negan. He may very well like to make people come to HIM. 

• Love 2