Type keyword(s) to search

My Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Ha, I was cracking up when Inari's mom said that her daughter is a princess and deserves to be treated like one. How many princesses do you know spend all day cooking and cleaning and doing housework for Prince Charming? I totally get that 14 is too young to get married, but you know that if it had been a gypsy boy who had proposed instead of a gorger, her mom would have been all for it.

Sophia has a pretty face but whoever did her makeup put way too much on her for the ball. I am glad her BFF was willing to go to the ball with her so that Sophia didn't have to approach guys on her own, but I was annoyed that when Sophia was getting a pedicure her friend was just sitting there chatting and not getting anything done. It just seemed rude. Should I give her the benefit of the doubt and assume that she got her nails done off camera and got done before Sophia's pedicure? I'm glad that she found a guy who said that they have both made mistakes and it's fine. He seems like a nice guy so far, but he really needs to lose the sideways orange hat. Come on, dude.

Oh, Nick. "It's only right. I'm the guy. You're the girl. Why be independent (sidenote: notice that the first time this conversation was shown, whichever genius intern at TLC was tasked with writing the subtitles when they decided that the gypsies were not speaking clearly enough misspelled "independent" but later when they came back from commercials and did a recap, "independent" was spelled correctly)? Let the guy do all the work." Riiiiggghhht because all the cooking and cleaning isn't work at all! In other words, let the man get paid so he controls all the money and the wife is financially dependent on him. Ugh. I'm glad that Casey made sure to tell him that she is independent and she doesn't know if she can change. It looks like four years with her foster family has done her a lot of good. You could see her literally biting her lip when Nick was telling her how he wanted things to be. So glad she decided to go home. I could not get over her BFF's name being Mystical.

Hunter's mom is so sad to me. All she could think about was her daughter leaving her and how she can't handle that. Good lord, woman. You brought her here to find a husband! And how does she think she will be losing her daughter if she's going to insist that Hunter and her future husband live with her? Man, that would be a huge deal breaker for me. I am not interested in living with anyone's relatives.

• Love 2

What was the deal with Maddy and Alyssa's dresses not fitting? Although I'm 99% sure that was just fake drama to give their mom another task to do, I was cracking up at how the girls blamed their aunt for not taking their measurements correctly but there was absolutely no mention that Sondra Celli could have made a mistake because she is perfect!

I want to know what their mom Angelina was in prison for. I guess that's a legit excuse for being an absentee mom, but she was only in prison for a year which means that for over a decade she just chose not to be there for her kids because she was off partying. I wonder what prompted her to finally decide to have a relationship with them after all this time.

I felt bad for the girls saying they just got shuttled between different relatives. It was nice of them to let their mom back into their lives, but I couldn't help but laugh when the two girls, their mother, and even her mother acted like throwing a party was this huge sign of commitment and they all said that it meant she would never leave them again. Uhh, no. It just means she is throwing a party now. She could still run off tomorrow.

What was with Maddy and Alyssa's blank faces? It seemed like no matter what they said, they both had the same emotionless looks on their faces like they were staring off into space.

Since Angelina has been gone all this time, where did she get the money for this big party? Oh yeah, TLC. When the girls started listing all the things they wanted at the party and she said she didn't know if she could pull it off, I was thinking about how a normal person would be thinking about how much it would cost to get all this crap at the last minute but obviously that isn't a concern with TLC is footing the bill. Even though it was sweet of the girls to tell their mom that everything at the party looked perfect, the practical part of me thought they were giving her too much credit for all the work that the caterers did to decorate.

Hahahaha, "for centuries, the shedding of the skin ritual has released gypsies from the grip of painful memories." Wow, so when I got it into my head to write a letter to my ex and then burn it when I was in high school, I was using an ancient gypsy ritual? Maybe I'm really a gypsy and I just didn't know it! Or, you know, it's just called having a bonfire.

Wasn't the bride's mom the same one who wanted to bring hay to the hospital when her other daughter had a baby a few episodes back?

Yes, it was the same mom which means that I am obligated to like Danielle for being the one who kept Sandy from bringing that hay into her sister's hospital room. I also liked that Danielle told her mom that she wasn't asking her to love Todd or to marry Todd, just to be there at the wedding. She seems like a sane mature logical woman who knows that her mother is a nut.

Are Danielle and Todd constanty stoned? Both of them have the same way of speaking in a monotone voice and not enunciating at all.

Sandy is one of those crazy bitches who sees everything in black or white. When she said that Todd's family doesn't like gypsies so she isn't going to kiss their asses, I just rolled my eyes. There is a vast middle ground being kissing someone's ass and ruining your daughter's wedding. Here's one possibility: shut the fuck up and let your daughter have a pleasant day when she gets married to the father of her children. Why is it so difficult to abstain from being a heinous bitch for a few hours?

I felt bad that Danielle and Todd had a whole wedding planned and it was ruined by her mother. And that poor little girl! She just wanted her mommy and daddy to get married and look what happened instead. I'm glad they just went to the courthouse and got married. At least that way Sandy wasn't around to sabotage it again. Sometimes the best thing you can do is keep people away from important events. Such a pity that all that wedding cake went to waste. Cake, people!

she would rather them be unmarried with two kids instead of married with two kids? I was surprised the mom didn't pull out some Gypsy "tradition" for him to prove himself.

I didn't get that either. They have two kids so there is no need to continue the charade of pretending Danielle is pure as the driven snow (not that I am judging either of them for having sex - I fully support premarital sex because you should know if this is a sexual partner you can live with for the rest of your life!). Does she think 27 year old Danielle with two kids would be considered a great catch to a Romney man? Wouldn't other Romneys pass her by for marriage since she's too old, not a virgin, and already has two kids?

I suspect the reason that Sandy didn't insist on Todd proving himself is that she knows Danielle would tell him not to bother. Usually when the family asks the gorger bride/groom to prove themselves in some way, it's younger gorgers who are eager to please and want to make the gypsy family happy and get their approval. And in those cases, it's usually a younger gypsy girl who is still under the thumb of her parents. In this case, Danielle is an adult who is already living with Todd so I don't think she cares at all whether her mom approves which means Todd would have no motivation to prove himself by smearing peanut butter on his feet and walking through a pile of bird seed or whatever stupid thing they want to claim is an old gypsy tradition.

ETA: I just remembered that Shibori mentioned Alyssa had a baby shortly before she got married and the kid was not mentioned at all during her wedding episode. And then in this episode, once again the baby was not seen at all. Normally I would say hey, if you want to keep your kid off camera, I totally approve but in this particular case I don't think it's the lack of famewhoring that's keeping the kid out of sight.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

Hunter's mom was too much, but when aren't they? I feel like I've seen that camouflage dress before, including the pink trim. I'm glad she had some fun, though.

I felt for the Roma girl who wanted back in the community; but this show is so over-produced that I wouldn't be surprised to find out she has been dating him for months before this episode filmed.

So now we have the ancient gypsy tradition of squeezing a lemon on someone's doorstep to sour their relationship. Where were all of these traditions in previous seasons?

Wonder if you can counteract the lemons with a little honey or sugar??

• Love 1

I'm late to the party as usual, but anyway.

Sophia seemed to have some genuine traditions which she adhered to, and she had the good sense to keep her daughter's face off of TV. Whoever said they figured Sophia and Pete knew each other already was right. From her FB page (I wasn't stalking, she posted to the MBFAGW FB page), they married in March and are expecting a child together. She doesn't mention anything about TLC filming the wedding, I have a feeling it would have been too normal for them. Pete mentioned at the ball that he was divorced and someone asked on the FB page if he'd been on the show before. He married Amber on the S02E01 episode.

Hunter was a bit...outgoing for someone who had never been around boys. Wonder what their source of income is with all the property and toys they have.

While it's sad that Casey's family couldn't take her back, she lucked out with her adopted parents. Unlike the other moms on the show, her adopted mom is all for letting the girl decide what route she wants to take in life.

I thought Inari was pretty and she certainly acted more mature than her 14 years. Hopefully the fact that she knows Jacob means she's still in school and they'll finish their schooling before they get married. During a shot of Sophia talking to someone, you could see Inari in the background laughing with Jacob, before he'd been introduced in the show. They seem genuine, and they're age appropriate.

I didn't see any other girls wearing the OTT blinged out dresses like our four subjects, was everyone else hired for the ball? Especially the ones hanging outside by the red carpet? Well, at least it was more lively than that sad looking masquerade ball at the end of last season.

These girls all seemed so normal compared to what we usually see.

(edited)

I loved Tatiana and Zuki...It's a shame TLC couldn't find more gypsies like these. Real gypsies

Do you really believe Zuki is a "Kurdish Traveller" and not just some random dude whom they added traveller to his nationality to help fit the narrative? Edited by Mr. Lac

Please tell me this was staged?! I think I saw the punk ass little brother on the Amish Mafia show. Such bad acting. Henry was a cute bad boy, but who chews gum during their wedding? What am I saying? The holey jeans. I don't remember, did he wear his wife beater with a vest over it? Lol! And Lacy, Lacy, Lacy...that was beyond rude what your meth addict cousin said, but do you really think the girl's going to conform to being the kind of gypsey wife she's suppose to be just because you put a ring on it? She already told her friends she had you whupped. Wonder how it's going...

• Love 1

So I finally saw the show last night.

-Holy hell, HeeHaw Mommy has some balls. A Gypsy boy has to live with THEM and take care of the place and work?! Of course, I didn't see Daddy in the picture. That explains a lot. Girlie finds a guy and mom freaks the hell out. Ugh....

-So the 14 year old can't marry the gorger, but if a Romney guy wanted her that night, it would have been allowed?! Hypocrites. I saw go with the gorger, at least he probably has higher than a 6th grade education and a clean criminal background check.

-Massive props to the gorger adopted girl. Yeah, cleaning and taking care of a man who supplies ill gotten gains. Sign my happy ass up :-p

-I liked Sophia. She wants to find a man according to her own terms, and wants back in her community's favor. The Romanian Gypsies seem more conservative and have better established traditions, unlike the Romneys (Meillie keeps f*cking around and no one is shunning her) Her gown was lovely. I hope Peter treats her right.

Yeah hee is they are married now and just had a baby girl

Maquayla can't wait to wear her dream wedding gown, but disaster strikes when it arrives; Mom plans to use Yazzie's birthday party to marry her off, but things take a turn when her boyfriend makes an appearance.

Does anyone know how to do the goats milk ritual, like is it only that or are there other ingredients oil essences in it, because I had a similar story of a past relationship not working out and I too am a single mom. But my mom doesn't believe in rituals she's strait Canadian no spiritual beliefs really, I'd like to make sure the person I am contemplating now is right and I go into this clean so to speak like the past is washed away. I'd like to do it myself, because I believe in second chances and I'd like to feel like a virgin again.

A) What idiot gets a dress with live flowers and doesn't expect them to ruin?  Even when it was shipped in a special van. 

B) How can they afford dress, the shipping of the dress and the dress designer to come to them to redo the dress? That has to be mega bucks.

C) Mom is an idiot. Yazzie wants to study. Instead of encouraging her to go to school and become something she wants the daughter to marry young. 

• Love 6

Just starting the episode now.

1) the spelling of Maquayla...why, though?

2) Maquayla's voice...it grates. I don't know if I can handle an hour of her.

3) Yazzie, you're 15. Quit studying, that's stoopyd. You need to get married as a teen because that's what mama did. And that's what her mama did, and her mama too. Therefore, it's obvious the best possible path.

• Love 4

I liked the candy-themed dress Yazzie wore, but the idea of her Mom pimping her out at her party was kind of disturbing. Although I know that's par for the course with these folks.

The flower dress was beautiful and unique but why didn't Sondra just go to the girl's hometown and put it together there the day before? Would've saved a load of aggravation. Everyone knows those flowers don't last more than a day or so.

• Love 4

How much money did they spend for that flower dress? Just for a wedding in a field with cow shit & only about 20 people attending.

I don't have anything to say about a mother who "allows" her daughter to finish high school instead of getting married. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, GaT said:

How much money did they spend for that flower dress? Just for a wedding in a field with cow shit & only about 20 people attending.

I don't have anything to say about a mother who "allows" her daughter to finish high school instead of getting married. 

Yeah, no "Mother of the Year" awards here.  At least the daughter's dress was fun.

The flower dress did look quite pretty--and the second version was better than the first.  But good grief, put on a shirt, dudes!  I've seen gypsy weddings where the groom and his guys only wear vests and no shirts, but not one where they go shirtless but wear vests and ties.  They looked ridiculous.

• Love 3

How many times are we going to hear the word "gypsyliscious" this season?

The acting is so incredibly bad this season. I now know when watching that none of this is real but damn it's too much. 

• Love 4

Best friends Amber and Stefanie are planning a double wedding, but a jealous cousin will stop at nothing to hijack the big day; Priscilla's birthday may turn sour if her father shows up uninvited.

Priscilla's mom really does look good after losing all that weight.

Pat Baby is def a hot mess, but he is entertaining.  What he wore to the party made me wonder if he's got a little sugar in his tank. If that's the case, then he is who he is, but the Gypsy community wouldn't tolerate that much, from what I understand.  Either that, or he's that secure in his manhood, that he doesn't care what we think. Since he was still mad at Lue Ann for initiating a divorce, I'm more inclined to believe it's the latter.

I wonder if Mellie Stanley will make an appearance this season. I'm already late to the party. I've got to catch up, since I missed the first one. Mellie isn't even 25 yet and I think she's on her fifth marriage now or soon will be, and it's always drama when she's around. I know she had her own show at one point.

i often have to ask myself WHERE they find these people. I'd be embarrassed to even pretend to behave that badly for pay. That said, and for these reasons, it's something of a guilty pleasure.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

I wonder if Mellie Stanley will make an appearance this season. I'm already late to the party. I've got to catch up, since I missed the first one. Mellie isn't even 25 yet and I think she's on her fifth marriage now or soon will be, and it's always drama when she's around. I know she had her own show at one point.

i often have to ask myself WHERE they find these people. I'd be embarrassed to even pretend to behave that badly for pay. That said, and for these reasons, it's something of a guilty pleasure.

Oh that one girl with the flower dress was coming off as if she was trying to be Mellie. The way she spoke and her movements just reminded me of her. As for Mellie, she is already married to some guy and having his baby. So 3 kids and 3 different dads. I think its the 3 marriage though too but maybe 4th. Hard to keep count they way they bounce around. LOL

I agree it would be embarrassing to pretend to be that way....heck it would be to be around someone that acted that way in real life as well. It was one of the worse acting jobs going on in this one for sure. 

• Love 1

I kind of like Pricilla. Good on her for doing something different with her life and her dad for supporting her. She good from the last time she was on.

I like Priscilla as well, but her career choice sure is different. I kinda hope we continue to see more of her I like her and her family. 

The cousin and sister wedding was interesting, I was like, "oh this is so... ghetto?" Like really? Why would you go after your cousin's baby daddy? (This kind of happened with Dallas and Annie). Of course drama was going to happen. The only things that bum me are the weddings and events aren't as lavish as the use to be compared to the first couple of seasons. I missed seeing all that.

• Love 1
(edited)

Wow, somehow the bad acting got exponentially worse this season. It's like infomercial level bad acting.

You know that flower dress was just a producer set up so that the girl could freak out about the dead flowers and then Sondra could fly in to work around the clock to make a new one for the drama of it all. I mean, seriously, it took Sondra and her entire staff days to make the first one but somehow Sondra and one other lady are going to make a new one all by herself in the nick of time. When Maquayla (it seriously killed me to type that fucked up spelling) said that the flowers were dead and so was her dream, I just rolled my eyes at the obviously producer fed line.

The groomsmen wearing vests and ties without shirts was so trashy. Couldn't they at least have hung the vests in the bathroom with the shower on beforehand so that they didn't all have a huge crease across the front? But I guess when you're wearing a backwards baseball cap with your sunglasses on the back of you head at a wedding, you're probably not worried about creases.

And SURPRISE! Maquayla was already knocked up before the wedding. Another one of those pure virginal gypsies.

I wanted to like Yazzie since she was adamant that she wanted to finish school and have a career, but her nonsensical non-explanation to her gorger boyfriend about how they had to break up so she could explore her gypsy heritage more was lame. Can't you explore your family's culture without choosing a husband at your 16th birthday party? But since the gorger boyfriend was one of the worst actors in this episode, I wasn't sad to see him go. Were those guys at the party for real with the names? Dustin, Justin, and Austin?

I liked that Yazzie's candy dress was cute and fun but not super hoochie and we didn't have to hear her make a million demands of Sondra Celli. But I couldn't help but think that dress must be heavy since it was covered in candy. And on a practical note, that is not a dress you can keep forever because the bugs and mice will sniff out the candy and eat it.

It disgusted me that Yazzie's mother said she was going to LET her 16 year old daughter finish high school. Wow, how generous. And then Yazzie thanked her. Good lord.

Despite my complaints, I can't rag on these two girls too much since neither of them was a drama queen or a spoiled brat. Compared to the crazy mean spirited people we've seen on previous seasons, these girls seemed totally normal and reasonable. A wedding AND a sweet sixteen party without anyone getting punched!

• Love 4

What the fuck kind of name is Chassity? You couldn't decide between saddling your kid with a name that's the equivalent of "virgin" or naming her after a part in your car so you combined them together? While part of me feels for her because talk about awkward when your sister sets your cousin up with your ex/baby daddy, the other part of me was cracking up at yet another unmarried gypsy with a baby despite the supposed gypsy obsession with purity. I'd also love to hear Chassity's explanation as to why she and Dustin were together seven years and had a kid but he didn't want to marry her.

I rolled my eyes when Amber said that he ex-husband "has the right to know" she's marrying another man. They just split up three months ago so are they even legally divorced? An uncontested divorce in Maryland takes 30-90 days to be finalized once the paperwork has been filed with the court. And hey, ex-husband, if you want to get Amber back then maybe you should have showed up before the wedding instead of the reception. It's too late now, dummy! Amber gets demerits for saying "between Jamie and I." UGH.

Why are Amber and Chassity fighting over this gross violent guy who is hitting a woman in the face on their wedding day? Both of them should run like hell from this abusive asshole. 

I have mixed feelings about Priscilla. Part of me likes that she is not adhering to the gypsy norm of getting married at 15 and then squeezing out baby after baby. And although Louann was a little vague about why she divorced Pat Baby, I support her going against tradition and kicking his ass to the curb instead of sucking it up and staying married to him just because she's not supposed to get divorced. I am also glad that Louann is being supportive about Priscilla pursuing her dreams even though being a professional wrestler is not something that gypsies approve of. I really appreciated that even though Louann didn't want to see Pat Baby, she said it was Priscilla's decision who to invite to her birthday party. BUT I have felt since Priscilla's first appearance on the show that her parents were famewhores who were pushing their daughter to become famous any way possible so I kind of side eye everything they do.

Is it wrong that I laughed when they said that Priscilla is now a professional wrestler and then it turned out that this match was taking place in a glorified barn? Love how Pat Baby talked about how sad he was about being gone for a year and a half while he was in jail and how he'll never get that time away from his family back, but he never mentioned how he broke the law to get sent to jail. And what an asshole to make his daughter's birthday all about himself.

• Love 3
(edited)

Goth rocker Tuter goes to war when her glamorous mother refuses to let her marry in a black wedding gown; a pushy mom will stop at nothing to have her gypsy child pageant star crowned queen.

6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

What the fuck kind of name is Chassity? You couldn't decide between saddling your kid with a name that's the equivalent of "virgin" or naming her after a part in your car so you combined them together? While part of me feels for her because talk about awkward when your sister sets your cousin up with your ex/baby daddy, the other part of me was cracking up at yet another unmarried gypsy with a baby despite the supposed gypsy obsession with purity. I'd also love to hear Chassity's explanation as to why she and Dustin were together seven years and had a kid but he didn't want to marry her.

I BUT I have felt since Priscilla's first appearance on the show that her parents were famewhores who were pushing their daughter to become famous any way possible so I kind of side eye everything they do.

Funny when they talk about that stuff and how they are suppose to be pure but yet we have yet to meet one that is. Supposedly divorce is so taboo to them all. Well if that is the case then why so many? The way they swap men is gross. They claim to live by these gypsy rules and ways of live but yet we don't see it. Its like they watched the original Gypsy Weddings and shows and decided they wanted to be that way. Yet I can think of maybe one or 2 in all those that was divorced. The girls may have dressed in ways no one wants to see, it seemed they followed the parents rules on being alone with boys so they didn't risk being considered not pure at all. You can see the difference in the way things are though between overseas and here. The American ones seem trashy more than anything. Hopefully that makes sense what I was saying there. LOL And in this day and age with how schools are about not being there I wonder how they legally get away with not schooling kids and pulling them out or if they skirt things with "homeschool" and set up whatever to make it like that is what they are doing. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Evil Queen said:

The American ones seem trashy more than anything. Hopefully that makes sense what I was saying there.

I think the American ones are more Redneck than Gypsy, the British ones are actually Gypsies who live the lifestyle.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, GaT said:

I think the American ones are more Redneck than Gypsy, the British ones are actually Gypsies who live the lifestyle.

Thank you. I was going to use that word but it comes off so much beyond even just Redneck. LOL 

• Love 2

I am wondering if any of the weddings are legal ceremonies. If Amber was separated from her husband 3 months before then perhaps that her 1st marriage was not legal. No idea of the law in USA but here in Australia you have to be separated for a year before filing for a divorce. Then the decree nisi is in effect for 31 days until decree absolut is granted. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, maya1959 said:

I am wondering if any of the weddings are legal ceremonies. If Amber was separated from her husband 3 months before then perhaps that her 1st marriage was not legal. No idea of the law in USA but here in Australia you have to be separated for a year before filing for a divorce. Then the decree nisi is in effect for 31 days until decree absolut is granted. 

Each state has their own way of doing things. In my state you have to wait 6 months before it would be final. I know some will make you wait a year as well. Not sure where they were or what the shortest wait time is for that to wait on but yeah I wonder too how legal any of them were. Especially with how easy they all seem to have swapped back..*shudders*

• Love 1

Gypsy Trouble and her gorger fiancé may not have their dream biker-themed wedding because of their fierce, feuding mothers. And Alanna's traditional 8th birthday party spirals into an epic battle between her American and Russian gypsy family members.

Sounds like TLC found themselves another bunch of Gypsies, this time Irish Travelers.

The pageant girl was really pretty, until they put 2 inches of makeup on her.

4 hours ago, Trampolina said:

Tuter's voice fascinated me.

She sounded like Miley Cyrus.

• Love 1