Type keyword(s) to search

Barbara Walters: Re-re-re-retiring soon!

Lisin
  • Start Topic

How about Barbara Walters:  Fascinating?

Anybody else have suggestions?

Since I saw Babs on two different entertainment shows tonight, (Extra and Entertainment Tonight), puffing about her career and all the tributes to her this week, I have an idea for the title of this thread. In one of the interviews, her infamous question to Katherine Hepburn came up, the old "What kind of tree would you be?"  It still irks Babs all these years later that she still gets ridiculed for that question because she says she only asked it as a follow up when KH said she'd like to be a tree. 

So, just since she would hate it, I vote for a title like Barbara Walters: What Kind of Tree Would You Be?

Although the tree question isn't included in this clip, here it  is for anyone interested - Gayle King interviews the great BW for Entertainment Tonight:

http://www.etonline.com/news/146382_barbara_walters_opens_up_about_her_past_present_and_future/index.html

I'm sure Oprah will love the part where Babs takes credit for her career and essentially ALL women who followed her in TV "journalism". Also, she yet again takes an opportunity to bash Harry Reasoner!

It's hard to believe, but Barbara Walters is saying goodbye to The View this Friday. After 50 years on the air and countless interviews, the 84-year-old has managed to create an indelible legacy in TV.

Barbara sat down with ET Special Correspondent and CBS This Morning's Gayle King and revealed that it's not the interviews or sound bites that will be her legacy, it's the successful women on TV that have come after her.

"I feel that I have a legacy and I feel that the legacy is not this interview or that interview, my legacy is you, my legacy is Oprah," she said. "There are so many women today who are so good and I look and think, did I help to make that happen?"

The legendary TV personality paved the way for many other female journalists to come. But getting there was not a walk in the park. Especially when it came to co-anchoring the ABC Evening News with Harry Reasoner in 1976.

"I mean my partner didn’t want me. He made it very clear," she said. "The public didn’t want me I was drowning and there was no life preserver. That's when by the way I had to work my way back and did my best work."

I like her comment to President and Mrs. Carter at the conclusion of their interview:  "Be good to us, Mr. President.  Be wise  with us."  Jimmy and Rosalyn sat there and looked dumfounded, but didn't say anything.

How about Barbara Walters: What Kind of Tree Is She?

This is Barbara Walters.  To honor decades of Babs related comedy impressions that REALLY needs to be:

Barbara Walters: What Kind of Twee Is She?

or we could go another direction and try:

Barbara Walters:  Re-re-re-retiring soon!

mocking the fact that she's announced various retirements since 2004, and it's never stuck.

• Love 2
(edited)

I don't think Barbara was saying that she was personally responsible for Oprah herself being the success that she is.

she was saying that she was a groundbreaker that without her and all that she accomplished early on, someone like Oprah might not be as successful or it may have taken longer for Oprah to get really jumping in her media royal...we mogulship.

Even though her questions could be silly, the interviews were relaxed & fun. And really, she was a groundbreaker (along w/the great Jessica Savidge - may she rest in peace).

And Harry Reasoned. HATED sharing the desk w/any woman. He was a real male chauvinist in the workplace.

Goid luck, BW. take a vacation.

(And Hillary taking over BW's spotlight turned me against her...again.)

Oops. ..stupid cell.

Edited by roamyn
(edited)

So in my nightmares I have this image of The View never getting rid of BWa!

We had THE YEAR OF BOWING TO SHE WHO IS NAMED BWA!

Then we had THE FINAL WEEK OF TRIBUTES - none of which I watched by the way!

Now we get the SUMMER RERUNS OF THE FABULOUS BWA!

To be followed by THE WONDERFULLNESS OF THE BWA FILLINS WHENEVER ANYONE IS ABSENT!

No replacement announced - none will be needed apparently!

She will never be gone.

Edited by kaygeeret
  • Love 1

I am a teacher and families are moving ALOT these days. We had a BIG party for a kid, gifts and everything, and guess what? His family changed their mind about moving at the last minutes (questionable parents short of a full deck). So we say he pulled a Barbara.

I'm finally over from TWOP, where I contributed for several years, and then was too busy working, so I'm very happy to be back online here at PTV.   LOVED, LOVED, LOVED all your comments and snark, even when I wasnt contributing. Thanks for those moments when I burst out laughing when remembering your commentst at inopportune moments (church, car, library, meetings, reading, etc.)

That said, I was young when Barbara came on TV as the first woman, yada, yada, yada.  I remember being disappointed cuz' she wasn't that attractive. Yeah, I'm superficial, but I expected better. I do remember Jessica Savitch who was gorgeous and professional, and loved Jane Pauley cuz she was cute and younger. Barbara? Meh.

Guess I got just desserts cuz now there are young beauty contest winners in anchor spots.  However, Christianne Amamapour is still my  epitome of a brave, intelligent reporter. Has Baba ever been in war-torn situations?  That's all.

• Love 1
(edited)
However, Christianne Amamapour is still my epitome of a brave, intelligent reporter. Has Baba ever been in war-torn situations

And in two sentences Tosia, you have synthesized all I find disturbing about the Baba worship - self and otherwise.

I am so on board the Christianne Amamapour train I could be a stalker. She is the complete package and doesn't get enough credit.

Wow sorry everyone. I guess I don't know how to quote someone else's comment.

The first line in my comment above refers to Tosia's post.

I'll learn.

Sorry again

Edited by CuriousParker
Added Quote Box
  • Love 2

She's bbbaaaaaaaaaacckkk!

From todays New York Daily News:

"Just about three weeks after hanging up her microphone, Barbara Walters is coming out of retirement to interview Peter Rodger, the father of Elliot Rodger, the 22 year old who killed six people, injured 13, and then committed suicide near the campus of the University of California, Santa Barbara last month.

The broadcasting legend, had been on vacation while ABC producers, like many other news outlets, were pursuing the interview -- but Rodger, a Hollywood producer whose credits include “The Hunger Games” specifically requested to speak to Walters, network sources said."

• Love 1

BaWa is back!  Not on the View, but she is coming out of retirement to interview the father of Elliot Rodger (at least that is what is being reported on HuffPo).

That only took three weeks...

And Rogers asked for her....kinda like Sterling. We saw how that worked out.

ABC always prefaces her latest interviews as she is requested by those being interviewed which is somewhat interesting as it can be interpreted so many ways.

• Love 3

I've kind of tuned out reading anything about The View for a few weeks, and hadn't even heard or read about the announcement earlier this week that Babs landed that interview with Peter Rodger. So, I was surprised when I came across this article and couldn't help thinking WTF is Babs doing on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon?! Then, I saw at the end that she was on to pimp the interview. Oh, and she also told her Clint Eastwood story. Some things never change:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2656348/Barbara-Walters-attempted-seduce-Clint-Eastwood-Jersey-Boys-premiere-30-years-turned-down.html

Barbara's hair does look really good.  I check images of her on Fallon, cuz I could not bear to watch/hear her anymore on tv. In the images, it looks as though her face is kindof sinking in, melting a bit. 

I also think that it's sad that the killer's dad gets interviewed (to help us figure out why he killed?), and the parents of the dead students are not included.  Let's hear their VIEWS on what could be done to prevent future remember

• Love 1

About my last post, the one with the link to the article about Babs being on The Tonight Show, sorry that I missed that this was already discussed in the main thread for The View. I was several pages behind in my reading of the threads in this forum. All caught up now!

Will be back on Friday:

Barbara Walters makes her first ever guest appearance on "The View." She is promoting her exclusive interview with filmmaker Peter Rodger, the father of Elliot Rodger, who killed six people, injured 13, and then took his own life near the campus of the University of California, Santa Barbara last month. Also on the show is Keri Glassman and "Out of This Word" with Whoopi. Bill Rancic guest co-hosts.

Sadly RogerFromOhio, you nailed it.  If you are involved in a tragedy and want to be 'interviewed' softly, eg, no probing questions or insightful conclusions, then you request the babster.

Didn't take long did it?

• Love 2

This a.m., two families of sons that were killed by the mass murderer were on CBS News sharing their agony.  Very moving. They were Chinese and could only have one child under the law there.

They also said they did not get any communication from the killer's father--guess he went straight to Bawa to cover his son's actions and get some sympathy.  Sorry, I'll save it for the families of the murdered kids.

Later, the news said that the father sent the families a letter of condolence.  What does it say about our society when a parent goes to the media before reaching out to victims?   Bawa should ask that question......and justify her interview with him vs. families.  But she will just look sad, well, as sad as her bug eyes will let her.

What are we going to learn that;s new?  The murderer has many videos about his issues and threats.

• Love 3
(edited)
What does it say about our society when a parent goes to the media before reaching out to victims? Bawa should ask that question......and justify her interview with him vs. families. But she will just look sad, well, as sad as her bug eyes will let her.

Once the defense lawyers get involved, one of the first things they'll instruct is that the perp and/or his family is NOT to contact the family of the victim(s) so that the perp doesn't screw up any chance of putting on his defense.  I've often seen situations on the news or on true crime reenactments where the perp&family say they wanted to reach out to the victim's family to offer an apology, but the defense lawyers have clamped down on their client.  Thus, they go to the media to state their regrets/apologies.  Obviously this can be self-serving as if they're trying to convince the public that they're not such a bad guy and deserve a break, but I'm sure there are cases where the perp's family is just as horrified by the criminal event as is the victim's family.

That being said, however, going to/through BaWa is nothing more than a softball move.  Everyone knows she'll go for tears rather than truth.

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 2

I would like to know how the killer's dad 'insisted' on only BW interviewing him. If I knew someone just retired, I wouldn't even think that asking them to 'work' would be an option. Methinks Babs reached out to him.... 

I certainly am not an expert on this sad case, but from what I understand, the parents did what they could to help their son. They saw he was troubled, got him counseling, and he was prescribed meds. I'm sure they feel horrible about this tragedy and that their son was responsible for it, which has to be a terrible burden for them, but I don't in any way blame the family. I HATE in the clip shown over and over BW has to say, "You're the father of a mass murderer".  Yeah, Babs, I think he knows that!!

• Love 3

I realize I can be too cynical sometimes, but in reading this TV Guide article that GaT just posted in the Future Co-hosts topic, this part makes me wonder:

The news comes the day before Walters is scheduled to return to The View as a guest host in order to promote her interview with the father of Elliot Rodger, the young man who went on a shooting spree in Santa Barbara.

Knowing Babs as we do, isn't it awfully convenient that this huge news broke the night before her "return" to The View? We all know the show is pre-recorded on Fridays, but most casual observers (and the media) don't realize that.

So, what nice timing for BW that this story was everywhere Thursday night and will be all over Friday morning... which will surely result in more people tuning into Friday's show to see what's up and there they will be treated to the return of Babs as she pimps her big interview.

Oh Babs, you never change, do you?

• Love 5

Eileen Dover and Ben Dover?  Love it! 

Bab's interview pimping today--yes, I agree, timed right for the big clean sweep news, also.

Can't wait to hear a real time comment from Babs regarding the changeover.  God, it must have been hard to eject from the View seat to, ahem, retire.  All those suits in the audience that last day must have been there to make sure it happened. 

• Love 2

OMG - I can see just how offensive my comment was considering the topic of her interview. I am so sorry, truly.

What I meant to say is BW goes for the get and looks for the worse and zeros in on the torment the person and tries to capitalize on it after luring them in with her oh so compassionate voice. 

And NO! I cannot see how a parent can actually say that. I can't imagine having a son doing that either, or how I would react. And I don't have kids.

• Love 1

Barbara was also on Jimmy Fallon a few weeks ago.

And she's on the Oprah Winfrey Network for an hour on Sunday night for Oprah's Master Class.

That's 4 big appearances in the 44 days since she retired.

I did expect her to return to TV occasionally in retirement. But, wow, it's like she can't stay off of TV.

• Love 1
(edited)

While I am glad that I watched that interview, Barbara made it even more painful than it was inherently going to be.  Despised the bumpers and the way they edited it, just made it that much more skeevy.

That poor father, to carry all that guilt because he did not understand the depth of his son's mental illness. I found it frustrating that there was no further insight into what Elliot's particular illness was, since there was an inference that he was there to try to help other parents see the warning signs.  It would seem to me that in hindsight at least one of his treating doctors could have made some kind of determination in retrospect, after reading the kid's screed. An actual diagnosis would have been helpful to hear in the end.  Sure does sound like the kid had high functioning Asperger's to me - with all the OCD, social anxiety, etc. possibly with an accompanying personality disorder.

To that end, Barbara, I'm looking at YOU.  Perhaps they could have expanded on all the holes in our current mental health system.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 1

I just started watching my recorded version of the 20/20 interview of Peter Rodger, with Bug-Eyed Babs, and am annoyed already!

Her opening sentences were "This is special; it's a milestone....the very first time that a parent of a mass murderer has ever spoken on television." Gah, she just LOVES to tout any 'firsts', however insignificant!

I'm dating myself, but as she was talking, I couldn't help but think of the 1980's song by Don Henley called "Dirty Laundry"----Babs has a gleam in her eye!

• Love 2

B.S.  It may be the first parent of a mass murdered that Babs has interviewed, but I have seen other parents on tv.  The father of the movie theater killer here in Colorado was on.  The father of another school killer --Adam Lanza--was on tv.  It may have been local news but still. 

I also think we don't need that kind of back-ass fame whoring, when parents of the dead kids are grieving. Maybe Babs will go see Manson next. Go away Babs.

• Love 4

Barbara was on the ABC Evening News talking about the Christopher Reeve/ Robin Williams friendship.

(roommates in acting school and BFFs) Robin was the first one to make CR laugh after his accident.

Barbara looked good- Taking time to enjoy a new view has been good to her!

(no luck in my search to find the story online)

Of course BW would come out of retirement for this sad story. And will have a special on 2020 and her best times with Robin. I refuse to tune in.

I am watching a tribute now and, again, Whoopi is featured as a great FRIEND. They did a lot of very important charity events together and with Billy Crystal as well.

• Love 3

I am watching a tribute now and, again, Whoopi is featured as a great FRIEND. They did a lot of very important charity events together and with Billy Crystal as well.

Yes, those 3 founded Comic Relief, to raise money for the homeless.  I think their fundraising drive was broadcast live (annually) on HBO and ran for about 20 years.

• Love 1

Yes, those 3 founded Comic Relief, to raise money for the homeless. I think their fundraising drive was broadcast live (annually) on HBO and ran for about 20 years.

They didn't "found" Comic Relief per se. Another gentleman who was a comedy writer and had links to HBO came up with the idea, but as I understand it Robin was the first comic to come on board as a host. Then Billy Crystal came on board and then they asked Whoopi, who at that time was riding high on the raves for her performance in The Color Purple. If I remember correctly, I think they raised a total of something in the neighborhood of $70 million over the years for homeless programs. So Whoopi's close friendship with Robin goes back at least to the mid-80s. I know how I feel about this horrible tragic event, and I never met the man. I can only imagine how Whoopi and all of his friends and loved ones must be feeling. Heartbreaking.

• Love 4