Type keyword(s) to search

Kate: Chrissy Metz

atomationage
  • Start Topic

I haven't seen the game show, but I've noticed that with Chrissy's shape, she can look vastly different depending on what she's wearing and from what angle she's being filmed/photographed. If the clothing and/or the angle accentuates her middle, she tends to look bigger.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 2

I watched but honestly saw no difference to how she's looked all along. Her midsection is very large, her arms and legs pretty shapely and well proportioned. She moved quickly, was able to jump up and down from the couch to play the games with somewhat surprising ease. I could be wrong, but I don't think she's gained or lost any significant weight since we first saw her.

• Love 1

Her mid section looked much larger than from what I recall from the show, but, it could have been what she was wearing or camera angle.  I wish her the best.  It takes a lot of courage to do what she does. 

• Love 2

Child and Teen Kate are definitely overweight. Not hugely overweight, but they are overweight. It is always interesting for me to see how we have become so accustomed to seeing heavy people everywhere that we now think someone who is somewhat overweight (maybe 20-30 lb) is not overweight at all. Conversely, we see someone who is normal weight and some might describe them as "super skinny."

• Love 5
5 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Child and Teen Kate are definitely overweight. Not hugely overweight, but they are overweight. It is always interesting for me to see how we have become so accustomed to seeing heavy people everywhere that we now think someone who is somewhat overweight (maybe 20-30 lb) is not overweight at all. Conversely, we see someone who is normal weight and some might describe them as "super skinny."

I put back on 20 of the 50 I lost 3 years ago, but it drove me mad that people would keep saying I was too skinny...I was exactly in the middle of my BMI and a size 6/8, not anorexic at 5'5. I think that with so many people in the USA being overweight, it does change your perceptions.

I hope future generations enjoy food but are more active and enjoy more of the outdoors without their heads being down 90% of the time checking phones or texting messages. Balance is the goal.

• Love 6
20 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

14 hours ago, debraran said:

I put back on 20 of the 50 I lost 3 years ago, but it drove me mad that people would keep saying I was too skinny...I was exactly in the middle of my BMI and a size 6/8, not anorexic at 5'5. I think that with so many people in the USA being overweight, it does change your perceptions.

I hope future generations enjoy food but are more active and enjoy more of the outdoors without their heads being down 90% of the time checking phones or texting messages. Balance is the goal.

I would imagine that when Jack viewed his little girl, he thought she was beautiful, because this is what doting fathers tend to think of their daughters.  I also kind of believe that Jack was the type of guy who liked a woman with " a little meat on her bones".  However, if Jack saw the way Kate looked today, he would be shocked.  He would still think she was beautiful, but he would be really concerned about her health.

• Love 5

Recently I've been to a few of those Pound classes like the one we saw Kate fall apart in at fat camp.  In reality, it's a very physical workout with a lot of squats, lunges, etc.

Obesity is a complex issue and I'm sure it's challenging to address on this show, especially, with the actor really suffering with this problem in her personal life.  

It's certainly something that I see in almost every family.  Almost all in my community seem to have someone who is affected by it. Often, multiple family members are involved.  IMO, it's rare when only one person in the family suffers, but, I suppose it does happen.  What surprises me is how recently, I've seen so many children, teens and 20 somethings who are significantly overweight.  Not 10-20 pounds, but, much more.  It's scary. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2

It is a complex issue and different for many as to why. Many who are middle-aged or older remember that obesity existed in many families years ago, but it was much less. I came from an Italian family that ate a LOT of carbs and portions but except for a little pot belly, most were not overweight. Activity was more? Maybe, but not so much for adults. I think we did move more, but had less additives and healthier hobbies. TV watching did not equal text/phone/computer time. 

I know for me, the 24 hour news , the stress of seeing and knowing more things, added to my emotional eating. I had to do a news fast and get back to my old fashioned hiking and walking and enjoying friends.

I feel for all people struggling with emotional issues, eating disorders, etc.  I know Chrissy will have a lot of pressure from outside and inside but she seems like a strong, smart woman and I hope for the best for her.  I look forward to seeing the show soon and what develops for her and the cast.

• Love 3
On 8/9/2017 at 6:39 PM, qtpye said:

She probably is larger then most of her peers.  This was the nineties, when Kate Moss was popular.  With the exception of JLo there really was not an appreciation for curvier women, yet....so I imagine she feels fat, even though she is really not that big.

We're in the era of roughly 15 years (mid-1990s to late 2000's) where this is considered desirable and something to strive for:

70db4a1535e10c559f17c8f520e79c6e.jpg

You really don't see the end of the Lollypop head era until Jennifer Lawrence came along. (At least in regards to white women.) I remember the headlines the reboot of 90210 got because of how stick-thin the girls on the show were. It's a real stark contrast to what we're seeing on Riverdale, where the girls aren't all uniformly size 0.

Anyway, I liked Kate's reality check. It was very, very needed.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 4

I'm not sure if Chrissy has shared much about her obesity issue, but, from what I have observed with the younger very obese people that I know is that it's seldom about meals. It's more often about take out, drive through, fast food, junk food, processed stuff.  They never seem to sit down to a meal, but run around, eating large portions of these types of food. And it doesn't seem to register how many calories they have.  EVEN though, it's posted on the sign when you order.  I don't frequent these places often, but, the last couple of times, I went, I couldn't order. One time, I got the side salad, no dressing.  Then, I got an iced coffee.  (plain, not the sugar added).  The people that I know, claim that they don't eat much.  ??

I recall that Kate pulled into a convenience store for gas once and ended up with a pack of donuts, right?  From how things have started out, it doesn't seem that they will address her obesity, other than having her stand up for herself or feeling insecure. OH, she said that she had dropped 2 dress sizes.  Really? Did she really or was that just in the script. I don't think that's true of her in real life, from what I have seen.   Maybe, a health concern would be appropriate for the script, but, they already did that with Toby........

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2
42 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm not sure if Chrissy has shared much about her obesity issue, but, from what I have observed with the younger very obese people that I know is that it's seldom about meals. It's more often about take out, drive through, fast food, junk food, processed stuff.  They never seem to sit down to a meal, but run around, eating large portions of these types of food. And it doesn't seem to register how many calories they have.  EVEN though, it's posted on the sign when you order.  I don't frequent these places often, but, the last couple of times, I went, I couldn't order. One time, I got the side salad, no dressing.  Then, I got an iced coffee.  (plain, not the sugar added).  The people that I know, claim that they don't eat much.  ??

I recall that Kate pulled into a convenience store for gas once and ended up with a pack of donuts, right?  From how things have started out, it doesn't seem that they will address her obesity, other than having her stand up for herself or feeling insecure. OH, she said that she had dropped 2 dress sizes.  Really? Did she really or was that just in the script. I don't think that's true of her in real life, from what I have seen.   Maybe, a health concern would be appropriate for the script, but, they already did that with Toby........

I'm a plus size gal (5'7, size 16-18) and I was a fat kid, so I can relate to a lot of Kate's story line. My Mom would have my clothes made for me because I couldn't fit into children's clothing. Right before I hit puberty I was tall enough to shop at Lane Bryant and the other plus size stores and my opinions opened up. I wish they had torrid when I was a teen! My father was a fat child in the 1950s when there were only 1-2 per class, and not 1/2 the class like in the 21st century. 

However it amazes me how many fat people claim they don't eat!! Like omg. Of course you eat! I eat a ton. I love to eat! I love cooking and spices and fancy restaurants. I didn't get this big by not eating!!! When I was a kid I loved to eat as well. 

However unlike most fat people I know, I eat real meals (sitting down at the dining table and all that), and I eat food that goes bad, actual food. Not food product. Probably partly why my health is above average. 

Teen Kate was "chubby" but not obese or anything. If you're someone who's weakness is over eating, I can see how depression or a big life stressor can turn you into a "normal chubby person" into the Super morbidly obese. Kate (at age 36) seems to have a binge eating disorder. I admit I have never had to pull food out of the trash or poor soap on it because I was afraid of eating it (in the first episode). There are certain items I don't bring in the house because I will munch mindlessly so I just don't buy them. I don't want to gain any more weight so I don't just eat whatever I want.

I must say given Kate was a heavy kid I'm surprised she's psychologically affected by her weight so much. When you grow up heavy it's just who you are, people have been calling me fat since I was 2yrs old, it's kind of the same to me as having brown skin. I tend to see this type of reaction from women who were once thin, gained a lot of weight suddenly and are now "one of those people"....and have a hard time dealing. Granted I'm not as big as Kate (and have never been), airplane seats don't bother me, I can still fit on all the rides at amusement parks etc. Also there are more heavy ppl now so I stick out less than when I was 10 or so. Also, as a black woman there are different beauty standards (for better or worse). I certainly think in the USA white women face far more pressure to be thin and are judged more critically if they are not. 

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Love 8

Kate basically admitted that it was hard to grow up with Rebecca as her mother because people were always going gaga over how Rebecca looks. I can understand that a little- people would always go on about how pretty two of my sisters were and it would get annoying, even from my perspective as a guy. I imagine it'd be harder if you were the daughter and everyone wouldn't stop going on about how beautiful your mother was.

• Love 2

I realize that a lot of different things are involved in the issue of eating disorders, but, it's just so concerning when the person is what I think they call super, morbidly obese that it's really gut wrenching. I wonder if the writers are really restricted in what they can go with in the script, due to the fact that Chrissy may not be okay with it.  Like, if they do want her character to lose weight, but, she doesn't.  

• Love 2

I don't hate Kate but now I hate Chrissy Metz.  She's quoted in People this week with this, "Some people feel like they're my doctors and have tried to diagnose me on the internet... I'm good, boo.  But thanks."  

As if people aren't going to talk about the 400 lb. actor's weight problem when she, the show and the media all only talk about that aspect of herself and her character?  She should be thanking us for discussing her at all, not alienating viewers.   

57 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I don't hate Kate but now I hate Chrissy Metz.  She's quoted in People this week with this, "Some people feel like they're my doctors and have tried to diagnose me on the internet... I'm good, boo.  But thanks."  

As if people aren't going to talk about the 400 lb. actor's weight problem when she, the show and the media all only talk about that aspect of herself and her character?  She should be thanking us for discussing her at all, not alienating viewers.   

Interesting.  I find that the actors on this show have an inflated sense of importance to us, their viewers.  I'm reminded of Mandy Moore at some point last season, who said something along the lines of "if you're not moved by watching this show, you're doing it wrong."  Milo telling us he'll give us all the day off from work after the show because we'll all be exhausted from crying.  Detailed round-tables that I cannot watch because they're so adorbs and inside-jokey with each other.  The above statement by Chrissy, who wants us to leave her alone as far as her weight goes, even though it's completely central to all we've been shown about her so far.  This show as it is right now isn't deep enough for any of these extras.  It's like Stephenie Meyer having a round-table to discuss the inner workings of the cast of Twilight, while William Faulkner stands in the shadows shaking his head.

(apologies to Twilight fans, just reaching for a comparison).

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 14

@laurakaye, 100 likes! 

Morbidly obese is the medical term for Chrissy's condition.  She is fat.  The way we are shamed, by society, into walking on egg shells around the topic is PC taken to the edge as always these days.  The word fat is now in the same category as the "C" word.   I have a friend who refers to herself as curvy!  That seems to be the new and gentler way to say fat.  

24 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

"if you're not moved by watching this show, you're doing it wrong [Mandy]."  Milo telling us he'll give us all the day off from work after the show because we'll all be exhausted from crying.  

I caught some interviews and heard this, too.  They probably said the same thing in all of them!  The cast has an inflated sense of importance and it is almost embarrassing to watch.  I have forgotten the interviewer but he/she clearly had not watched the show and was asking questions and making statements that must have been fed to them.  I was painfully obvious they knew nothing about it.  They finished saying, "this show really is about all of us!"  LOL!   Oh no it is NOT! 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

It kind of drives me nuts, as someone who fundamentally believes in science, when extremely obese people claim that we cannot tell they aren't perfectly healthy by looking at them. Especially the way Chrissy Metz carries her weight, which is mostly in her stomach. It doesn't mean she isn't a beautiful person or worthy of great things in life, it just means she is clearly not the picture of health, the way someone with sallow skin and sunken eyes also obviously appears unhealthy in some way.

• Love 9

I don't hate her for that comment. I took at as 'I've got real doctors, so if there's something wrong with my health, I'll let them handle things, not viewers, thanx'. Of course we talk about her weight, but it's the faux-concern that's really just more fat-shaming/bigotry that gets on my nerves. I doubt she's trying to argue that she's as healthy as a 110-lb person. I bet she gets all kinds of unsolicited 'advice' that she's already perfectly well aware of.

• Love 15
28 minutes ago, luna1122 said:

but it's the faux-concern that's really just more fat-shaming/bigotry that gets on my nerves.

How do you know which is which?  Is voicing any concern over it considered veiled bigotry?  

I don't see much of that here.  I think most of us here have suffered our share of weight struggles.  

I wasn't referring to it here, but to her comment about people on the internet trying to diagnose her. I don't assume she reads this board, tho I guess it's possible.

Edited by luna1122
  • Love 1

I read Chrissy's comment and thought she must be talking about people diagnosing her mental health, as in "She's fat because she's insecure because ..."  The plain medical fact that she's obese doesn't seem like anything requiring a debatable diagnosis, it just is.

If she's saying people are claiming great concern about her  blood pressure or cancer risk, then I guess I see her point, a little bit, to quote Lindy West, she doesn't owe us good health.   If someone makes the choice that they would rather eat whatever they like and face the health risks, then that's their right.

On the other hand, she's not someone we've stopped on the street to give diet advice to.  She's playing a part on a hit TV show that centers around her weight issues.  Of course we're going to talk about Kate's weight and health and the dangers of bypass surgery, etc. and since Chrissy isn't wearing a fat suit we're also talking about Chrissy's weigh, too.  Sorry, Chrissy, you can always give the part to someone else.

Actors who become rich and  famous because we like to watch them and then get mad at us because we're interested in them off screen, too, just bug me.  If you want a private life where no one talks about you on the internet stay off the TV.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I should add the caption under the quote, which clarifies it some.  It reads:  "-Chrissy Metz, on wishing people would stop asking if she's getting weight loss surgery, on Today."  

It still seems rude to me, but I hate the "boo" thing regardless.  And I don't think asking the question is really 'trying to diagnose' her?  Maybe they're recommending she get the surgery (or not)?  If they had WLS and think she should (or shouldn't) and are fans, I think it's a fair comment.  It's out of concern.  Well, and maybe partly nosy-ness but that's part of the package.  

4 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

It's out of concern.

For some people and other people are just assholes. I can only imagine the crap that Chrissy has read about herself and that people have said to her in real life. I have absolutely no issue with the quote.

• Love 5

I do agree it comes with the territory, it's something famous people just should have to get used to, I guess. But I completely understand them being annoyed by it too.  They still deserve some privacy and some sensitivity to their feelings. . Yeah,  Chrissy's storyline is about weight, so it stands to reason that the conversations will extend to her in real life too. But random people and fans  asking her if she's going to get weight loss surgery? That seems fucking rude to me. It's nobody else's business. We can all speculate and talk about it all we want but I can't imagine actually thinking I had the right to say something to her about it, even if it was out of concern. She's bound to have doctors, she knows she's fat, and she probably knows more about nutrition and weight loss and exercise then thin folks do. Most fat people do. 

And yeah, in other places and maybe even here,  I've seen people speculate about possible abuse in her past or something like that to try to figure out why she's the size she is. That seems incredibly invasive and hateful to me.

I might be really callous, and I mean,  I wish her well and everything, but I don't actually feel any concern for her, and can't pretend if I make a comment about her weight it has anything to do with that. It's a statement of fact, she's big.  But I don't know her, so her personal welfare really isn't my concern. And I assume she's doing her best. And if she isn't, I figure  it's not my business, no matter how public her life is.

There's a lot of mean-spirited fat haters out there, so maybe I just assume somrtimes that when people are expressing concern, it is actually veiled bigotry. It's probably my hang up. 

• Love 9
19 minutes ago, luna1122 said:

I do agree it comes with the territory, it's something famous people just should have to get used to, I guess. But I completely understand them being annoyed by it too.  They still deserve some privacy and some sensitivity to their feelings. . Yeah,  Chrissy's storyline is about weight, so it stands to reason that the conversations will extend to her in real life too. But random people and fans  asking her if she's going to get weight loss surgery? That seems fucking rude to me. It's nobody else's business. We can all speculate and talk about it all we want but I can't imagine actually thinking I had the right to say something to her about it, even if it was out of concern. She's bound to have doctors, she knows she's fat, and she probably knows more about nutrition and weight loss and exercise then thin folks do. Most fat people do. 

And yeah, in other places and maybe even here,  I've seen people speculate about possible abuse in her past or something like that to try to figure out why she's the size she is. That seems incredibly invasive and hateful to me.

I might be really callous, and I mean,  I wish her well and everything, but I don't actually feel any concern for her, and can't pretend if I make a comment about her weight it has anything to do with that. It's a statement of fact, she's big.  But I don't know her, so her personal welfare really isn't my concern. And I assume she's doing her best. And if she isn't, I figure  it's not my business, no matter how public her life is.

There's a lot of mean-spirited fat haters out there, so maybe I just assume somrtimes that when people are expressing concern, it is actually veiled bigotry. It's probably my hang up. 

People are obsessed with weight and looks. I heard Jane Fonda and Robert Redford went on TV show and first thing female host asks Jane is about her plastic surgery, not the movie. She wouldn't do that with a guy, just like most people wouldn't bring up a guys weight. It's interesting how woman always get the shorter end of the stick with comparisons and scrutiny.  That said, if you are heavy in TV land and it's part of the show, not that your heavy and show is not about that,, you have to expect some tactless statements and real concern. Her character is loved by many, and Kate is who they want saved, the show is emotional and for some, I'm sure Chrissy is separated from Kate many times. I don't get so emotional with the show as others do, but I like it, I can imagine though the interest will wane over time and she might miss some of it.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1

Ugh, tangentially to this topic: just read on Facebook that the comedian Ralphie May died. He was only 45,  and he was a very big man. So there are all these comments on the thread, along with sincere expressions of sadness and RIPs, about how it's not surprising and what did he expect and he deserved it and who could be shocked, it was only a matter of time. It's those kind of comments that make me lose all hope for the world. 

• Love 4

While I'm sure Chrissy gets many comments related to her weight that are out of line, the gracious thing would be not to complain about it publicly. Most celebrities accept that intrusion into their personal lives is part and parcel of being famous and learn to diplomatically deflect questions they don't want to answer. Chrissy hasn't been a celebrity for long, so perhaps she doesn't yet fully understand how to handle that kind of attention.

• Love 7

I think a lot of people do use the guise of concern to insult the overweight, but I don't think most people do, because most people ARE overweight (and are maybe saying things out of a general concern about themselves and/or society at large). It bothers me when people attempt to shut down the discussion of obesity by saying that ALL such concern is fake and rooted in fat-hatred. Nobody *here* has done that (shut down anything), but I see it frequently with the "fat acceptance" movement. If we are not allowed to talk about it ever, even sympathetically or with any sort of "let's change it" narrative, we will continue to spiral downward, health-wise. Obesity is definitely a public health crisis, but it is rooted with such personal feelings that it is nearly impossible to discuss without accusations of defensiveness on one side and hatred on the other.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

While I'm sure Chrissy gets many comments related to her weight that are out of line, the gracious thing would be not to complain about it publicly. Most celebrities accept that intrusion into their personal lives is part and parcel of being famous and learn to diplomatically deflect questions they don't want to answer. Chrissy hasn't been a celebrity for long, so perhaps she doesn't yet fully understand how to handle that kind of attention.

I agree.  I would think she'd have a publicist, or otherwise be coached how to speak on Today.  Complain to your peeps all you want but facetiously calling your fans "boo" on TV is tacky to me.  I doubt fans speak to her face with blatant fat shaming.  Online, sure, I think even SKB could find hate-speech.  

Then again maybe she is being coached to be all "yay fat, go obesity, we rock as is".  Which troubles me, too.  

I don't know who Ralphie May is but that's exactly why I fear for Metz and others.  I doubt they want to die decades early and it's pretty much guaranteed at that size.  It's sad because it's preventable.  

I guess it's also just so visible, unlike say a drug habit or fast cars or stranger sex or whatever other life-threatening vices stars may struggle with.  

5 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I agree.  I would think she'd have a publicist, or otherwise be coached how to speak on Today.  Complain to your peeps all you want but facetiously calling your fans "boo" on TV is tacky to me.  I doubt fans speak to her face with blatant fat shaming.  Online, sure, I think even SKB could find hate-speech.  

Then again maybe she is being coached to be all "yay fat, go obesity, we rock as is".  Which troubles me, too.  

I don't know who Ralphie May is but that's exactly why I fear for Metz and others.  I doubt they want to die decades early and it's pretty much guaranteed at that size.  It's sad because it's preventable.  

I guess it's also just so visible, unlike say a drug habit or fast cars or stranger sex or whatever other life-threatening vices stars may struggle with.  

I don't think she needs to ever get skinny, but I do hope she can get down to something more manageable, like Brooke Elliot from Drop Dead Diva. I don't look at Brooke and think she'll be dead before she's 50.

I hope NBC has a doctor monitoring her. I can't imagine the insurance on her would be cheap.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I think a lot of people do use the guise of concern to insult the overweight, but I don't think most people do, because most people ARE overweight (and are maybe saying things out of a general concern about themselves and/or society at large). It bothers me when people attempt to shut down the discussion of obesity by saying that ALL such concern is fake and rooted in fat-hatred. Nobody *here* has done that (shut down anything), but I see it frequently with the "fat acceptance" movement. If we are not allowed to talk about it ever, even sympathetically or with any sort of "let's change it" narrative, we will continue to spiral downward, health-wise. Obesity is definitely a public health crisis, but it is rooted with such personal feelings that it is nearly impossible to discuss without accusations of defensiveness on one side and hatred on the other.

I agree that many "concerns" are veils to talk about an obese relative, coworker, etc.  I do feel though concern is legit many times. I work in the medical field and see many patients not do as well because of morbid obesity and many operations for knees, etc. are turned down because of the dangers and extra weight on new joints. That gets worse as a person ages.  There are many young children today with diabetes and cholesterol issues that wasn't heard of in my childhood, a disease that can cause many other problems later. It can go on and on. Bottom line, although many people with slight obesity, (most of population in USA) can be healthy and have good blood work and joint issues, but many can't and as the number grows on the scale, other issues and risks rise, including cancer, stroke, heart disease.   You can be skinny and get cancer, disease and have other joint issues but you can't pretend obesity doesn't bring its share of risk.

Shaming, making fun of, thinking "you're better" is wrong, but just pretending that being 100+ overweight is healthy isn't really wise. Too thin, too large, all have risk factors even without genetic links.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 7

The worst part about the shaming, and the medical profession does a lot of that, too,  is that although the health risks are real, we still don't have a cure for obesity.  Doctors can tell people to diet and exercise, and those methods do usually result in weight loss, but  it's only a temporary fix because  97% of them regain within three years and end up less healthy than if they hadn't dieted at all.

Last year I was hoping the show would go there with Kate.  They made a good start with the frustrations of weight loss groups, trying to diet in restaurants, looking for help in fat camps, and exploring surgical options. Then they just dropped it.  I know some people didn't want her story to be all about weight, but I was fine with that, because we've never really seen that story done in a realistic manner.  TV just likes the big dramatic changes of shows like, "The Biggest Loser, never following up to the inevitable regain and the depression and sense of failure that goes along with that.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, JudyObscure said:

The worst part about the shaming, and the medical profession does a lot of that, too,  is that although the health risks are real, we still don't have a cure for obesity.  Doctors can tell people to diet and exercise, and those methods do usually result in weight loss, but  it's only a temporary fix because  97% of them regain within three years and end up less healthy than if they hadn't dieted at all.

Last year I was hoping the show would go there with Kate.  They made a good start with the frustrations of weight loss groups, trying to diet in restaurants, looking for help in fat camps, and exploring surgical options. Then they just dropped it.  I know some people didn't want her story to be all about weight, but I was fine with that, because we've never really seen that story done in a realistic manner.  TV just likes the big dramatic changes of shows like, "The Biggest Loser, never following up to the inevitable regain and the depression and sense of failure that goes along with that.

I think The Biggest Loser is a good comparison because although I missed most episodes (didn't like the concept) I did see many articles on people who gained back and then some when they left. Anyone left at a placed that regulates your day, food and exercise will do okay, but real life is more complicated. Any trigger can make someone eat too much again or drink again or take drugs. You really need support all the time. I know 4 people who had weight loss surgery (I think they do it too often without enough counseling) and only 1 kept weight off within 10 pounds. It didn't matter how little they could eat at a sitting, 20-50 pounds went back on and one male neighbor almost put himself in the hospital. It's not just food in, food out, there are so many other issues.  And one area some people overlook is that some people do eat well, exercise and just can't lose, it's genetics and other factors that go beyond thyroid. It hurts them to always have people think they eat too much and adoctor highlighted one patient like that on a blog she writes.  It's a complicated issue but I hope the show either ignores it or does it intelligently.

• Love 4

I never watched Drop Dead Diva and don't really know what the actress looks like these days, but in photos I've seen she barely looks overweight to me. That's part of the  problem: that's considered fat in Hollywood when she's really a perfectly normal size, imo. 

• Love 6
23 hours ago, laurakaye said:

This show as it is right now isn't deep enough for any of these extras.  It's like Stephenie Meyer having a round-table to discuss the inner workings of the cast of Twilight, while William Faulkner stands in the shadows shaking his head.

(apologies to Twilight fans, just reaching for a comparison).

Beautifully put!  

On 10/7/2017 at 9:27 AM, luna1122 said:

I never watched Drop Dead Diva and don't really know what the actress looks like these days, but in photos I've seen she barely looks overweight to me. That's part of the  problem: that's considered fat in Hollywood when she's really a perfectly normal size, imo. 

Drop Dead Diva is about a young aspiring size 0 model who comes back to life in the body of a larger woman who is also a lawyer. Think  "Who Is Julia" but with a more comedic slant.

Brooke Elliot honestly could have been really spot-on casting for Kate. I wonder if she auditioned? She's in her 40's but I think she could have pulled off 36.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 4
17 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

Brooke Elliot honestly could have been really spot-on casting for Kate.

If a size 14/16 woman like Brooke Elliot had been cast as Kate, her story would have had to be completely rewritten. At least this show isn't trying to sell a barely plus-size woman as "OMG, she's so fat!!!" - American Housewife, I'm looking at you.

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

If a size 14/16 woman like Brooke Elliot had been cast as Kate, her story would have had to be completely rewritten. At least this show isn't trying to sell a barely plus-size woman as "OMG, she's so fat!!!" - American Housewife, I'm looking at you.

In that case, it's about relative fatness. She's not the fattest woman in the world. She's just the 2nd fattest woman in her Stepford suburb.

Back to Kate...yeah. Her voice is fine, but she's dreaming if she thinks she can work on her voice enough to become some amazing diva.

• Love 8

I'm no expert but I've been a size 14 and I don't think that actress (in that clip) is a 14/16* or "a little overweight".   I would bet she is 'obese' by BMI, but possibly not by much.  I feel like any obese actress could've taken the Kate role.  But 'regular obese' is dull.  They had to go for circus level.  

(*I don't shop in expensive stores so when I say size 14 I mean like at Marshalls and Kohls, not somewhere with super 'vanity friendly' sizing.  Like wherever Mindy K. shops that makes her think she's a size 10.)  

On 10/9/2017 at 10:46 AM, Winston9-DT3 said:

But 'regular obese' is dull.  They had to go for circus level.  

This is hysterical!  And so bad.  LOL!  

On 10/7/2017 at 6:41 AM, JudyObscure said:

I was hoping for that, too.  As for some not wanting her story be about weight, how could it not be to some extent?  Her weight is significant.  

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I was hoping for that, too.  As for some not wanting her story be about weight, how could it not be to some extent?  Her weight is significant.  

I'm wondering where they will go with her weight now.  I don't have a problem with her character not choosing the surgery, but to just have dropped the issue after the whole Horse Dick incident and now it's months later is just sort of a fail.  She mentions she's down two dress sizes but what path is she on?  I would like to know more.  I did watch the latest after show which I don't usually do, and Chrissy appears quite alarmingly in need of more help whatever it may be.  If the story is that she is "stalled", then at least mention it. 

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

I'm wondering where they will go with her weight now.  I don't have a problem with her character not choosing the surgery, but to just have dropped the issue after the whole Horse Dick incident and now it's months later is just sort of a fail.  She mentions she's down two dress sizes but what path is she on?  I would like to know more.  I did watch the latest after show which I don't usually do, and Chrissy appears quite alarmingly in need of more help whatever it may be.  If the story is that she is "stalled", then at least mention it. 

She didn't choose surgery, ok good. We know that doesn't work well.   But she is not dieting either.  I think the topic was dropped because Fogleman realized that you just cannot write it in and have it happen.  It is likely she has struggled to lose and been unsuccessful.  We saw that on Biggest Loser.  They all talked about their failed efforts. 

Kate said she has gone down 2 dress sizes so maybe she is working on it.  I doubt they would have left that line in otherwise.  

It has been fun to watch Melissa McCarthy lose weight slowly over the past year or so.  I was expecting that to happen with Kate and it still may. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I feel like any obese actress could've taken the Kate role.  But 'regular obese' is dull.  They had to go for circus level.  

Or Freak Show. (Don't send me angry letters, I'm referring to Metz's role in American Horror Story: Freak Show) :)

a2c02af0-7a76-11e4-8aed-a1f0aad1262c_fx-american-horror-story-408-blood-bath-146.jpg

• Love 3

Whichever set director laid out that spread must be a skinny person who lacks imagination.  The only thing that screams fattening is the whipped cream parfait concoction and that could be made of sugar free Jello for all we know.  Yes, there are three loaves of bread and some biscuits but no butter, and a cheese topped casserole but it's barely touched.  Chrissy only actually looks like she's eating a salad. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ShadowFacts said:

I did watch the latest after show which I don't usually do, and Chrissy appears quite alarmingly in need of more help whatever it may be. 

Can you elaborate?  I really don't want to watch the after show.   Chrissy is trying to lose weight and struggling?  With the motivation part? 

Maybe that set decorator is a Weight Watchers member.  I do WW often and I consequently eat bread only sparingly, because it's 'pricey'.  

I'm kind of impressed they didn't make it a table of desserts.  There seems to be that stereotype of fat people--- that they all just gorge on sugar all day.