Type keyword(s) to search

Secure the Media!

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

Great to hear.  Two web series turned into HBO show, two very good shows, though unfortunately they're kind of flying under the radar, being on Friday (High Maintenance) or being overshadowed by Westworld and Divorce on the same night because those throws have more well-known cast, though the cast here is terrific and deserving of more attention.

From Deadline - Issa Rae On Keeping ‘Insecure’ Real: “I Based A Lot Of My Characters On Real People, Whether They Know It Or Not”

“I based a lot of my characters on real people, whether they know it or not, whether they like or not,” said Rae about writing for the series.

“Issa and I do a thing where we go to a hotel and drink a lot of mimosas; we just keep the champagne flowing,” executive producer/showrunner Prentice Penny unveiled about breaking stories for the series, “We talk about themes we want to explore and we did that during the first season and we did that during the second season and where we want to take these characters in their arc for season.”

• Love 1
(edited)

The story behind Insecure’s primetime soap parody: "What if there was an Empire-Underground?" 

So far, we’ve seen a few glimpses of Due North in the background of Insecure’s second season, but there’s a lot more coming. “When we first sat down, we wrote 13 full episodes,” Natasha Rothwell, one of the two Insecure writers tasked with developing the show-within-a-show, told Vulture. “In the coming episodes, you’ll see Insecure the show progress, but you’ll also see Due North, the show-within-the-show, progress,” said Ben Cory Jones, the other Insecure writer behind the project.

Due North started out as a writers room joke about a fictional romance between their Insecure coworkers, Ben Dougan and Dayna North.

[...]

With HBO’s support, Due North was produced much like an actual show, with its own dining room and slave quarter sets, a director in Pete Chatmon, and a top-flight cast in Hall and Foley. The two actors were Rothwell and Jones’s first choices for the project, though they never expected to get them. Luckily, both were fans of Insecure and they connected to the Due North satire, which sends up both the tropes of primetime dramas and the ways people talk the antebellum South. “It’s a comical take on it, but it is a look at the power structures that were set up during slavery,” Jones said. “That show would probably never happen on real network TV, but because we have this playground on the show within the show, we felt like we could play it off.”

The story behind the show within a show

The title of the fictional project appeared to be inspired by the two characters' secret meeting spot. "Follow the North Star to our spot by the creek," Foley's character told Hall's under his breath.

However, the origins of the show within a show itself is a far more surprising story. Penny says Due North was inspired by a writers' room joke about two writers on the series, an African-American woman and a Caucasian man.

"We just started teasing them that they were having this sort of affair – it's going to sound horrible how I'm describing it – but he's married to a white writer from Silicon Valley and we started making jokes that they had this clandestine love affair like a master and a slave. Because they had lunch together one day in the quad behind our writers' office and we were like, 'Oh, they're sneaking away.' Obviously they hated it, but they took it in good stride.

"So we just thought about creating these characters based off of two writers in our room, we just kept making these jokes and we just thought this should be a show," he said.

Eventually, the idea became a reality with the help of writers Ben Corey Jones and Natasha Rothwell (who also recurs on the series as Kelly). "They went off and wrote off this amazing eight-episode story," Penny explains.

[...]

While it remains to be seen just how much of Due North Insecure viewers will actually get to see, Penny says there will be clips from the fictional drama included in seven of Insecure's eight season two episodes.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

Issa tweeted about condom usage.  She said they place condoms in the scene to imply usage.  But they hear everyone loud and clear and will do better about making it more apparent next season.  More explicit. 

• Love 1

HAHAHA that was cute, thanks Empress1 for sharing.  

hmmm given Issa's Stanford degree in Race and Ethnicity that makes her stance on the principal and his prejudice against latino students (her willingness to ignore it) even more of a side eye moment. 

15 minutes ago, Mozelle said:

I imagine Issa Rae does speak French; her father is Senegalese. I believe she and her siblings (and parents) lived in Senegal for a stint. 

They did, she spent her primary years there.

Those bios are hilarious.

Good lord, Patricia's bio clears it all up for me, she's a hot mess.

Edited by Keepitmoving

Ha, the bios are hilarious! Patricia is the April Ludgate of this show. Between her tindon't thing and her life goal of yachting with Rihanna, now I want to see her and Chad sitting together at a bar talking shit about people (complete with shady looks while slurping their drinks through straws).

Some folks on twitter.  But it sounds like one of those things where it was mentioned in a recent interview, a few people commented negatively or made jokes, then some blogs made a THING about those people who did say something negative -- you know the kinds, those that make a story solely out of scraping tweets.  Which sparked MORE people to weigh in including those defending her choice.  So basically any old day on twitter.

• Love 2
On 11/19/2016 at 0:29 AM, AyeshaTheGreat said:

Yvonne Orji ("Molly") was on the Breakfast Club:

I thought the interview was very funny yet very informative for people like me who are just becoming familiar with Yvonne.

Just saw this.  She has a great bubbly personality.

Interesting tales about growing up as an African immigrant.

Them bios! Too funny. 

Issa tweeted about condom usage.  She said they place condoms in the scene to imply usage.  But they hear everyone loud and clear and will do better about making it more apparent next season.  More explicit. 

I just posted about this. I got LASIK so I can see now. I ain't never see one damn condom on this show. My memory is bad though so maybe I just forgot. I don't think so though. 

http://www.essence.com/love-sex/relationships/yvonne-orji-black-love-panel

On 9/7/2017 at 1:31 PM, link417 said:

I don't know about Insecure's overall ratings but it's clear the show has a huge social media following and has been noticed by stars and casting agents.

So with Issa and Yvonne getting roles in high-profile projects, maybe next season, stars who are fans of the show would be interested in making cameos or appearances.

51 minutes ago, Sheenieb said:

So, Tasha had a baby and the father is Dro. Judging from the blogs, it sounds messy AF.

Bit characters.

If neither of them are on future episodes, I wouldn't miss them.

• Love 2

EW enjoyed the season, they gave it an A.

Some big changes for s3.  Looks like Lawrence isn't returning, at least as a regular.  Mixed feelings about that.  Issa is right that when relationships end IRL, we don't always keep in contact with the person afterwards.  So her chapter with Lawrence appears to be over.  But Lawrence was an important person in Issa's life, and the season finale confirmed that she still loved him.  And they share certain friends, so it's weird that Lawrence wouldn't be around in some capacity.  

Yeah I’m sorry to see him go.  Maybe they didn’t like his story lines or wanted to write more.

They were on parallel courses last season, though some of his scenes generated a lot of comment IIRC.

• Love 1