Type keyword(s) to search

Secure the Media!

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

Can't blame Issa for striking while the iron is hot.

But Insecure has a huge following and is the reason she's getting these movie roles.

I haven't seen the movie but the movies she does better be good or else she may lose some momentum from not having the buzz and social media activity generated by Insecure.

I think we better enjoy it while we can because if Issa keeps getting movie roles she may not want to keep doing the show.

Or become too expensive for HBO to keep her show.

She's come a long way from a web series.

• Love 2

That is a great interview. I especially like the part about why Andrew is from a particular LA neighborhood and what that means culturally and historically. I don’t know LA very well so I didn’t get that part when Molly referenced where he was from on the show.

(Also the part about him cutting his hair was hilarious. He’s so mad!)

(edited)
On 4/11/2020 at 3:29 AM, scrb said:

I went back and read this and boy, did she miss the mark.  I think this season has been gangbusters.  Funny as hell even with the Molly and Issa drama.  She is watching it with too much of a critic's gaze not enough of a viewer's gaze.  And even as a critic, I think she is wrong.  Having gone back and watched the previous seasons, I am astounded about how well the continuity is with this season and how much it pays off so much that has come before.  

I also think she misses the mark on what they are trying to set up with Tiffany, relegating her to nothing but comic fodder.  She also doesn't seem to recognize that the show isn't just re-treading old stuff with Issa/Lawrence and Molly/boyfriends but it setting up the building blocks for both women's growth.

On a lighter note.  I found this article funny.

Every man on Insecure ranked

I don't agree with a lot of the rankings, but the writing is funny.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, RealReality said:

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/5297067002

Kendrick Sampson Livestreamed his experience at a protest.  He was shot with rubber bullets and he may have been struck with a baton. So scary out there.  

I follow him on instagram and his posts where the first thing I saw this morning.  He definitely got struck by baton several times.  He jumped in front of his team, who came out to support him, to protect them.

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, luckyroll3 said:

I follow him on instagram and his posts where the first thing I saw this morning.  He definitely got struck by baton several times.  He jumped in front of his team, who came out to support him, to protect them.

I follow him too and saw this last night (I didn’t sleep much). He seems to be safe, but he definitely got hit. He said a police tactic is to shoot rubber bullets at the ground so they bounce up (I guess that lessens the impact?) but they didn’t do that -they fired directly at him.

• Love 1
On 6/15/2020 at 12:49 AM, DearEvette said:

Ok this is cracking me the hell up!  Natasha Rothwell asked people to come up with a list of all the Condola names people are using on twitter.  The list of them are hysterical. 

LMAO, this was hilarious!

Her name always trips me up because I want to pronounce it CONdola (like “gondola”), but it’s conDOla, which just feels awkward.

• Love 1

Surprised no one has posted this yet, but Insecure scored 8 (I think) Emmy nominations, including lead actress, supporting actress, outstanding comedy series, and a couple of cinematography nods.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, luckyroll3 said:

Surprised no one has posted this yet, but Insecure scored 8 (I think) Emmy nominations, including lead actress, supporting actress, outstanding comedy series, and a couple of cinematography nods.

So happy to see this! I don't know whether they will win anything as the competition is pretty strong, but it's great to see this fabulous show being recognised. The full list of nominations is:

• Outstanding Casting for a Comedy Series
  • Outstanding Cinematography For A Single-Camera Series (Half-Hour) (two noms, for the episodes 'Lowkey Happy' and 'Lowkey Lost')
  • Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing For A Comedy Series (for 'Lowkey Trying')
  • Outstanding Music Supervision (for 'Lowkey Movin' On')
  • Outstanding Lead Actress In A Comedy Series (Issa Rae)
  • Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Comedy Series (Yvonne Orji)
  • Outstanding Comedy Series
  • Love 2

Issa Rae is one of the Black businesspeople featured in Pharrell's new music video, 'Entrepreneur'. (Shame Pharrell couldn't chant 'Black woman' as well as 'Black man' in the song, but I guess it didn't scan?)

Season 5 to be the last for the series.

Issa and other cast members must be getting some lucrative TV opportunities.

Or maybe HBO/AT&T was unwilling to increase salaries.

I haven't watched any of the movies done by Issa and other cast members.  But the impression I get is that they're not as good as the show has been.

• Love 1

I think Issa's career is taking off.  I think Insecure is the thing I've enjoyed the most but five seasons does feel good for this show.  They brought things to a head and a denouement feels right.  It also opens up the series for a lot of possibilities. 

They can make choices about relationships (romantic and friendship) and careers without having to come up with ways to keep characters relevant/connected for future seasons or careers in doubt. 

• Love 4