Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E02: Crepe Grand Prix

Drogo
  • Start Topic

The contestants race in the first annual Crepe Grand Prix challenge for a chance to win a luxurious dining experience on a yacht in Santa Barbara.  Later, one team struggles right out of the gate during a dinner service featuring VIP guests Maureen DeWulf and Dash Mihok.

My question (apart from the obvious one...who the hell are Maureen DeWulf and Dash Mihok?) is why does the men's team suck so much?  And why is the women's team so good?  If they win one more service a few of them will be heading over to the men's team.  

Happily - if I believe the previews - the ladies start bitching at each other next week.  And bag packing!

• Love 2

OK, I missed something.  Why did one of the women get a chocolate shake when all the other women get fish shakes?  And how was it no one else at the table didn't notice someone happily sipping a chocolate shake while everyone else was retching and vomiting over their 'lunch'?

Edited by Zahdii
changed wording
  • Love 8
39 minutes ago, Albino said:

My question (apart from the obvious one...who the hell are Maureen DeWulf and Dash Mihok?) is why does the men's team suck so much?  And why is the women's team so good?  If they win one more service a few of them will be heading over to the men's team.  

Happily - if I believe the previews - the ladies start bitching at each other next week.  And bag packing!

Dash Mihok plays one of the Donovan brothers (Bunchy) on Ray Donovan.

• Love 2

Zahdii - there's one chocolate shake among the fish shakes because one person getting out of the punishment, for even such a shitty reason as "chosen at random", means that the other people on the team now can be suspicious and bitchy. Made worse that the contestant in question did the smart thing and kept her mouth shut instead of crowing how she got out of it. I mean, what ELSE will she lie about? It's all about breeding distrust.

As to why no one noticed the differently colored, clearly not as thick drink? Well, we're not exactly raiding MIT for contestants now are we?

• Love 10

Wait so Aaron is safe just because he drenched a salad with dressing..? lol  Couldve done without seeing the whole"fish guts shake/vomiting session though..

The way how that preview was edited i dont think anyone will be suddenly quitting..theyre probably packing cause they won a team challenge or something

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Zahdii said:

Why did one of the women get a chocolate shake when all the other women get fish shakes? 

To sow distrust and cause drama.  I still don't know why they make the contestants eat/drink strange stuff this isn't Fear Factor. The best thing about this episode were the seals on the buoy. 

• Love 7

Honestly, this raw seafood drink? Nope. They'd have to boot me. I don't eat fish and I especially don't eat raw parasite-infested fish.

I'm surprised Gia and her "should I go on dessert station?" while waiting to cook scallops wasn't booted during service.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Zahdii said:

OK, I missed something.  Why did one of the women get a chocolate shake when all the other women get fish shakes?  And how was it no one else at the table didn't notice someone happily sipping a chocolate shake while everyone else was retching and vomiting over their 'lunch'?

The show is totally scripted.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Albino said:

Noureen (not Maureen, lol) is an actress who is married to Ryan Miller, goalie for the NHL's Vancouver Canucks.

I kind of wish that Genaro had hung around for a bit longer. His laid back attitude would have driven the rest of the men's team nuts. 

• Love 4

Are the "chefs" required by contract with the show to partake of whatever the disgusting lunch is?  Why doesn't someone say "No way.  I'd rather go hungry."?

Most of that bit was filler and disgusting TV at that.  I had no desire to watch a prolonged bout of squealing and retching.  

The only person I always like on this show is Marino.  So far, I sort of like Paulie but it's early days so..........................

• Love 4
7 hours ago, nitrofishblue said:

It would have been something if one of the ladies was allergic to fish and had a really bad reaction. The only thing that changes with this show is the name of the chefs. Everything else remains the same; same old same old script.

I said almost the exact same thing last week after the first episode:  "Different faces, same shit"

Edited by preeya
  • Love 1

Remember when the team's rewards were really nice lunches at a well-regarded restaurant - maybe flying the them to Vegas or San Francisco by private jet?

Of course for the past few seasons the cast of characters' idea of fine dining is probably the food court at a local mall.

For our poster who liked Ryan - I agree.  She's so quiet I don't remember a talking head from her.  Of course they give extra camera time to bigmouth Gia and weeping Wendy.

As for Genaro going, at least I don't have to keep looking at his lip ring, wondering who's risotto it's going to fall into.

• Love 4

I have been told the fish shakes (and other gross food items) are scripted. Otherwise, the show could be charged with employee abuse, etc. It's all an act. If someone got seriously ill, the show would be liable, so they don't really feed them guts, eyes, etc.

• Love 2

Classes at Le Gordon Bleu School of Chefistry:

101:  Beginning Fish Shake Preparation and Consumption.

102:  Go-Kart Driving.

103:  Military Boot Camp.

Of course, you have to wait until the second year to get to stuff like riding a ten-person bicycle or dunk-tank operation.

• Love 1

Maybe I missed it, but didn't the one obnoxious black girl refuse to drink the fish shake?  Meanwhile the other ones were retching away and trying to abide by the idiotic rules. Quite frankly, I would also tell them to pound salt over drinking a fish shake made from guts and eyes. That is absoultely horrible to watch, especially since we watch it while eating dinner. I thought for sure the girl with the chocolate shake would finish it up, proclaim how good it was, and then be handed a fish shake by the staff. That would have been funny. 

But seriously, what does any of that garbage have to do with seeing who is qualified to be a Head Chef, or whatever title Gordon calls it, for a supposedly nice restaurant? Also, numerous times over the years we have been shown a contestant that flat out refuses to participate in the losers punishment, with absolutely no repercussions. Why is that never addressed? 

The whole crepe challenge was obviously edited. If you watched closely, when the girls put down number nine, which tied the score at 9-9, you could see the guys in the background exiting their golf cart with a crepe in hand, which would have been the winning number 10. Then the next thing you know, they are showing both teams leaving the cooking station and doing that slow drive to the finish, which was total BS. Mo mention of the one the guys were just shown dropping off. As other posters have noted, the number of crepes on the finish line table also changed from shot to shot. That idiotic challenge and subsequent fish shake  torture took up almost half of the episode. 

There are still way to many characters to get to know, but Gennaro certainly earned his exit. Unless those steaks were frozen solid, there is no way a chef with even a little bit of experience should have put out multiple raw steaks. 

Next weeks preview shows plates of food being tossed across the room. I seem to recall they did the same thing last year, with a preview, and then when the show aired it turned out to be a humorous part of the show, and nothing at all like the preview insinuated. My guess is the suitcase packing is going to be the same thing. 

• Love 3
On 10/1/2016 at 0:33 AM, preeya said:

Dash Mihok plays one of the Donovan brothers (Bunchy) on Ray Donovan.

Isn't he also Alanis Morisette's ex boyfriend? They did (at least) a video together, he's a talented dancer.

ITA with everyone who thought Shake a la Fish Gut was disgusting and unnecessary. Drinking a shake made of raw fish has absolutely NOTHING to do with one's skill as a chef, but then again neither does go-karting. At least the opening credits this season are kitchen-themed.

In a normal restaurant, I'm assuming they don't have the employees carry boxes of uncleaned fish through the main dining room? Maybe next season, Fox can invest in these new inventions I've seen called "service entrances" and "carts."

As for the raw steaks: either Genaro didn't check the temperature of the stove or it had been messed with. A classic sign of a too-hot stove is a well-done outside and raw inside. To cook it more evenly, you turn down the heat and cook it longer.

That being said, Genaro still needed to go. He obviously didn't give two shits about the competition and had already checked out. At least Aaron might improve with more experience.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

That being said, Genaro still needed to go. He obviously didn't give two shits about the competition and had already checked out. At least Aaron might improve with more experience.

I think Genaro made it clear that he cared.  As he told Johnny, just because he wasn't yelling about losing didn't mean he didn't care.  He just thought that losing his temper wouldn't accomplish anything.  I agreed with him.  Not his fault Johnny's taking the competition way too seriously and personally.

13 hours ago, xcrayon2215x said:

Johnny seems the strongest on the blue team, the men really suck. I don't get the point of those drinks, it's not Fear Factor.

He also seems and feels like a massive dick.  His attacking Genaro after the service over thinking he didn't care about the competition was unnecessary.  And he gets way too much screentime, to boot.  At this point, if any of the men wins this season, I'd rather it be Paulie, Andrew, or Devin.  They at least have their heads on straight.

Another strong service from the women!  I have to wonder if this is the first time a team has lost both of the first two services back-to-back?  It's usually one man and one woman, in either order, who get eliminated in the first two episodes.

• Love 6
On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 6:04 AM, Major Bigtime said:

I have been told the fish shakes (and other gross food items) are scripted. Otherwise, the show could be charged with employee abuse, etc. It's all an act. If someone got seriously ill, the show would be liable, so they don't really feed them guts, eyes, etc.

Yeah, I wonder if they just take a regular milkshake, add some cod liver oil, or sardines, and tell them it's fish guts.   It reminds me of college fraternity/sorority hazing activities, you have to eat or drink something to prove allegiance.    Hells Kitchen always has some chefs who are reluctant, but they never show anyone being forced, or even told there is a penalty for not consuming the penalty lunch.

I always laugh at the over the top enthusiasm for the rewards.  Maybe it's just me, but I would never scream and cheer about a ride on a boat, plane, helicopter.  I mean, the rewards are nice, but the reactions seem extreme.

Edited by backformore
  • Love 2