Type keyword(s) to search

Four Weddings - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 7/12/2018 at 9:06 PM, PamelaMaeSnap said:

Also, I was very torn about the scenario with the shabby treatment of the elderly guests who were not allowed to sit in the indoor air-conditioned section of the reception because they had not RSVP'd ... On the one hand, I can see why B&G and those handling the RSVPs and invitees would be pissed by a lack of response. But unless you've invited, like, 1000 people, why would you not reach out to the handful of people who did not RSVP one way or the other just to follow up and see if they were coming? ESPECIALLY if they were elderly relatives??? I suspect there may have been some producer manipulation of the viewers' heartstrings as we watched, I guess, Great-Uncle A and Great-Aunt B standing there with their glasses of champagne or plates of food and not have anywhere to go with them, since those snippets were shown over and over, but yeah, I felt terrible for them ... 

I just don't get how her family (or she or for that matter if they were from groom's side HIS family) didn't follow up on whether Great-Uncle A or Great-Aunt B had gotten invites, were coming, needed a ride, etc.

On 7/13/2018 at 8:40 AM, gonecrackers said:

That was so rude. You'd think the bride/groom/parents of, etc - someone - would have said something to the contrary & welcomed them. How many could there have been? I'm sure they could've fit them in somehow.  Must've been fun seeing them again after that debacle.

From my own wedding:  RSVP date was July 1 - we contacted those assholes (who for the most part were people we "had" to invite even though we don't see them regularly) at the end of June and were told, "But you said we had until July 1!  And we're not coming."  I felt a vengeful sort of glee that they were put out :). How hard is it to RSVP?  It's actually very easy.

16 minutes ago, princelina said:

From my own wedding:  RSVP date was July 1 - we contacted those assholes (who for the most part were people we "had" to invite even though we don't see them regularly) at the end of June and were told, "But you said we had until July 1!  And we're not coming."  I felt a vengeful sort of glee that they were put out :). How hard is it to RSVP?  It's actually very easy.

I understand. It's actually a pet peeve of mine as I've had the same issue with people. At that wedding it seemed like just a few older folks & they could've made some room. I'm assuming they weren't very close to the couple & maybe were also "had to" invites which made it easier to turn them away. It was quite awkward though.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Yes, I agree!   Something subtle!  I wore my dad's HS class ring.  But memorial tables?  With photos of deceased people?  My late mom would haunt me......

Please TLC:   Bring back the old format!!

You would just love the latest trend down here in my neck of the woods (which can be pretty rednecky).  On the back windshields(?) of pick em up trucks, SUVs, and even some cars are memorials to the dead.  I guess they consist of a big clear sticker with the message in big white or gold fonts added that fit across the glass and above the stick figures of your living family.  The first line might say "In Loving Memory of (next line) Cletus Hatfield McCoy (next line) April 15, 1912 - December 31, 1999..... (last line) Fueding With The Heavenly Angels.....  As if the roadside memorials aren't distracting and annoying enough.  The only thing I want to be able to read on the back of your vehicle is your license plate number, your state, what county you live in, and the cute slogan of the state.  When did we start living for dead people?  Not to sound heartless and cold, but come on!  I think Grandma would want that bride and her guests to enjoy the day and not feel like they have to stop and light candles at some shrine.  Sorry to ramble on.  Just had to say my piece.  P.S....I agree with all who want the old format back...TLC, Make It So!!!!!

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Aunt Catfish said:

You would just love the latest trend down here in my neck of the woods (which can be pretty rednecky).  On the back windshields(?) of pick em up trucks, SUVs, and even some cars are memorials to the dead.  I guess they consist of a big clear sticker with the message in big white or gold fonts added that fit across the glass and above the stick figures of your living family.  The first line might say "In Loving Memory of (next line) Cletus Hatfield McCoy (next line) April 15, 1912 - December 31, 1999..... (last line) Fueding With The Heavenly Angels.....  As if the roadside memorials aren't distracting and annoying enough.  The only thing I want to be able to read on the back of your vehicle is your license plate number, your state, what county you live in, and the cute slogan of the state.  When did we start living for dead people?  Not to sound heartless and cold, but come on!  I think Grandma would want that bride and her guests to enjoy the day and not feel like they have to stop and light candles at some shrine.  Sorry to ramble on.  Just had to say my piece.  P.S....I agree with all who want the old format back...TLC, Make It So!!!!!

We were in Florida last November and we saw some!  I was like..."What?"

On 7/24/2018 at 8:55 AM, WarnerCL45 said:

Everyone seems to hate the new format.  Hope someone at TLC is listening.  I'm not about to sit through another 2-hour episode.  So boring, it's like being at a real wedding!

I like the 2 hr episodes. Of course, I dvr and forward commercials.

I also like getting to know the grooms a little better.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

I like the 2 hr episodes. Of course, I dvr and forward commercials.

I also like getting to know the grooms a little better.

Honestly, I did not mind the two hours and don't think my issue was that they were family (only two  I think used the same venue). I just this particular family was a tad boring. Not because of no real drama (which I like) but not one was of my taste.

• Love 2

not one was of my taste.

Well, then you would make an excellent participant.  "The dress was very pretty, and fit her very well, and was appropriate to the setting, and made her very happy. But it was lace, and I don't like lace. So I'm giving it a 2."

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, Quof said:

Well, then you would make an excellent participant.  "The dress was very pretty, and fit her very well, and was appropriate to the setting, and made her very happy. But it was lace, and I don't like lace. So I'm giving it a 2."

You said that very well!  My dress was lace on top, empire waist and chiffon from the waist down.  Round neckline with 3/4 sleeves, in other words"  NOT a sweetheart neckline with a full skirt, a la 80% of dresses today.  "I tried on a dress like that, did not like it, I give it a three."

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Enigma X said:

I am not saying I did not like elements of each wedding, but overall--taking all elements into account--the weddings were not my taste. (shrugs)

I found they were so alike that I couldn’t remember them.  The old format had diverse food and venues.  Just too similar in this past episode.  Also, I saw enough of the grooms in the previous format.  Don’t need to see the couple painting, tasting beer, or choosing ice cream.  They are really stretching it to fill 2 hours.

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, WarnerCL45 said:

I found they were so alike that I couldn’t remember them.  The old format had diverse food and venues.  Just too similar in this past episode.  Also, I saw enough of the grooms in the previous format.  Don’t need to see the couple painting, tasting beer, or choosing ice cream.  They are really stretching it to fill 2 hours.

I agree and let's face it - I MISS THE SNARKING!!!  No one, and I mean NO ONE is gonna say about their sister in law: "Her dress was ill fitting, her food was cold and bland and I was BAKING under the Arizona sun!!  I THOUGHT I WOULD DIE!"  

• Love 5
58 minutes ago, WarnerCL45 said:

I think part of the problem might have been that they all had the same wedding planner and used her venues.

• Love 4
(edited)

The reurun of the St Louis "Four Weddings" where the four knew each other is on today.  Sadly, BLAN bride was just on so no re-run for me on her.  I do like Drunk July 4th Bride an awful lot, though!  "Getting married on the Fourth of July?  I LOVE A-MURICA, that's why!!!"

Edited to add:  I dislike Maggie even more, lol.  When her and Brian were picking ice cream, and ho loved Cookie Dough and she SHOT HIM DOWN.    Girl, it is his wedding too, let him have the Cookie Dough.  Then she says, "I will do the picking for us."  Good Lord he did not pick Mayonnaise flavored ice cream.

And he must fave split from ex wife/ex girlfriend awfully fast, the youngest kid is looked pretty young and they had only been together four years.  Plus I am not over her obsessing her "boho" theme that was not really boho.  

And the other girls standing there saying "Wow, Maggie!  You didn't get just a husband, you got a family, too!" when you know darn well they are probably thinking "Glad it ain't me!!!  I want hubby to myself!!"  I could be wrong though - I am wrong a lot.

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 5
(edited)
On 7/26/2018 at 12:06 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

"Her dress was ill fitting, her food was cold and  bland  BLAN and I was BAKING under the Arizona sun!!

Fixed that for you :)

Edited by ichbin
spelling
  • Love 4

Watching old reruns this afternoon, "and a Cotton Ball."  

The brides gathered at the end, and one proposed a toast "To 4 beautiful brides, may us have long....."

I literally screamed at the television "You'd better not win, bitch."

• Love 1
(edited)

Esmerett was back on today - she had the $115,000 wedding and was from Ethiopia.  Had to whittle her guest list down to 800 from 1100.  Came in fourth and was not nice to the winner:  "Her wedding was the WORST wedding!!!"  Wow - bitter much?

2 hours ago, Quof said:

Watching old reruns this afternoon, "and a Cotton Ball."  

The brides gathered at the end, and one proposed a toast "To 4 beautiful brides, may us have long....."

I literally screamed at the television "You'd better not win, bitch."

I think we could be friends in real life.

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Esmerett was back on today - she had the $115,000 wedding and was from Ethiopia.  Had to whittle her guest list down to 800 from 1100.  Came in fourth and was not nice to the winner:  "Her wedding was the WORST wedding!!!"  Wow - bitter much?

See what I mean?  This is the kind of diversity the new format is missing!  $115K wedding comes in last - love it!

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, WarnerCL45 said:

See what I mean?  This is the kind of diversity the new format is missing!  $115K wedding comes in last - love it!

Yes, and the bride who made her guests dress up in costumes, go to a train station for an "engagement party" but surprised people with a wedding was bitter because "the other brides don't appreciate edgy" - no, edgy is NOT what you had.  You had a less than usual turnout cause let's face it, I ain't changing my plans for an engagement party.  A wedding, yes, but not an engagement.  "I love surprising people!!"  Yeah, but this was your WEDDING.  And it was not edgy.  And you are not going on a free honeymoon.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

Right; you can't expect people to treat it like a wedding if they didn't know it was going to be a wedding.

Thank you, gonecrackers!!!  You nailed it!  If I knew I was going to be out of town for an alleged wedding date (did she even have that?) I would probably go to an engagement party, unless it was a sibling or super close relative then I would go regardless.  But if you have a large guest list, like she seemed to have, don't be shocked that people don't put as much into it your wedding cause they think it is just a party.

Since when does "surprise" = edgy?  There was some celebrity couple who did this years ago (and I talking like 1994 as that is when I first got married and I followed this stuff) where they surprised people at the rehearsal and really got married.  I am not sure of the point of doing this.

13 hours ago, WarnerCL45 said:

$115K wedding comes in last - love it!

Marie spent an equivalent amount on her Goth Wedding and her hideous dress and look where it landed her.  The only time an unlimited budget seems to get you first is when you actually have style, taste and class.  And yes, because I am about to toot my own horn, I had all three for less than $3000 for 44 people.

• Love 5

I haven't watched this show in years, I've caught parts of episodes now and then, but I just have little interest in it any more. I was without cable for a couple of years and my tastes have changed. I have little interest in the ID Discovery channel either. Still like home decorating, even though most are rehabbing shows now. And I discovered a new love, archaeology shows. 

But I decided to switch this one on today, caught the one with the new format. After about 6 hours of watching and 2 naps, I looked to see just how long this thing was! I didn't really have much thoughts about the first 3 brides, they were all kind of interchangeable and so were the weddings. But there was something about Maggie that annoyed me from the first meeting. And I didn't catch that her groom had children until the final breakfast meeting of the brides. But I was particularly annoyed with her when they were ice cream tasting and she refused his choice then told him she'd do the picking. I really lost all interest in her after that. 

I don't know that I'll be back for this show, maybe a rerun of the old stuff now and then, there were some memorable brides. Will never forget the 4th of July bride or a couple of different boat weddings, one very fancy but boring, one pretty simple but sweet. 

3 minutes ago, alexa said:

The slow pace of this show is excruciating. Way too much time spent on the participants. Just do a quick intro and move on to the weddings!

Cristina eloped and her parents STILL wont talk to her?  It has to be something more....

• Love 7
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Cristina eloped and her parents STILL wont talk to her?  It has to be something more....

Yeah, and especially since their marriage has been successful for 15 years. I usually only see ridiculous parents like that when it is a racial, cultural, or May/December romance issue.

Edited by Deni
  • Love 5
47 minutes ago, Deni said:

Yeah, and especially since their marriage has been successful for 15 years. I usually only see ridiculous parents like that when it is a racial, cultural, or May/December romance issue.

Not sure what the parents were so upset by - they are kinda religious, nice couple, nice kids, I would like more on that backstory.  Maybe the "wrong" religion?

• Love 3

“Tia and I are very different. She has crazy purple hair and tattoos and I believe in god...(long pause) and she’s an atheist”. Wow- not sure I’m going to make it through this one.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Not sure what the parents were so upset by - they are kinda religious, nice couple, nice kids, I would like more on that backstory.  Maybe the "wrong" religion?

Plus his and her parents were neighbors.  That had to be awkward.

• Love 2
(edited)
34 minutes ago, rlc said:

Did anyone catch Cristina’s age?

No but she struck me as 35 or so?  Eloped at 19 or so, pregnant right away, oldest is 14.  Dont trust my math though, lol!

Edited to add:  that was one ass ugly dress Cristina was wearing at the end.  Looked like my parent's drapes in the 80's!

Cristina was too God Squad-ish for my tastes.  

I liked the winning couple the best, glad they won.  Still dislike the new format, though!

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
8 minutes ago, rlc said:

I have watched every damn episode of this show, but walking the bride down the aisle in a dead man’s shoes is a new one for me. #creepy

Which one did that?  I was on the phone with my son for a bit.....

11 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Which one did that?  I was on the phone with my son for a bit.....

Jasmine’s brother wore her dead grandfather’s shoes because she wanted her grandfather to walk her down the aisle.

Teia & Chris  4th place:  75@ $15K.  Day of the Dead theme.  Three or four kids.   He was her kids' teacher.  Sleeveless cream colored gown with crystal beading overlay on top. Changed into a corseted black dress for dancing.  Black cake with icing that stained hands and clothes.  She said windowplanes and he said rosemarys.

Angelica & Tony 3rd place:  200@ $25K.  Rustic theme.   One daughter.  Blush color strapless lace and crystal mermaid gown.  Said the wedding was going to celebrate her Mexican-American heritage, but the Spanish music at the beginning of the ceremony and mariachi band during cocktail hour seemed to be the only elements. 

Cristina & Josh 2nd place :  90 @ $15K.  Romantic/Rustic theme.  Eloped 15 years ago.  Five kids.  Religious. White sleeveless gown with lace top and slightly puffy bottom.  The train had an awkward button up thing going on across the back of the waist which apparently bugged Teia.  

Jasmine & Daryon 1st place :  180 @ $23K. Italian theme.  Sparkly. One daughter.  Lace and crystal strapless mermaid gown, maybe beige.  She changed into a different dress for the reception that looked nearly identical other than the fact it had a sleeveless, higher bodice.  

The "friends" connection:  Teia & Angelica met studying for and working as hair stylists.  Christina is a client.  They know Jasmine from a mommy & me group.  They all have children. Several mentions about how close they all are.

Four Weddings Bingo:  It was hot sitting in the sun at the outdoor wedding.

Someone didn't think the gown of another was appropriate.

Complaining about the way the food was served.

The table isn't decorated as nice as the others.

There aren't a lot of people dancing.   

Don't like the band.

The meat is too pink.

Only 3 out of 10 for a Teia's lovely and appropriate dress?  Shut up, Angelica. Particularly since her own dress was the worst fitting of them all.  

Maybe it's just me, but if I had five kids the thing at the bottom of the list of what to spend money on would be an unnecessary vow renewal ceremony.   She was very sweet though about all the other weddings.  

One improvement over the first two reboot shows was the grooms get-together was short. 

Please, no more Dr. Pimple Popper commercials!

All the weddings were fine.  Even the Day of the Dead one which was probably the most tolerable out of any of that type of theme on any of the shows.  I still don't like the new format and length. Bring back the snarkiness and sniping that made the show fun.  Starting to think it's not worth giving it 2 hours of my life in the future.

• Love 8

I must be the only person who likes rare steak. When the brides complain about their meal I'm thinking it looks delicious. How did Christina announce she was pregnant at their reception?

• Love 2

I keep missing the final scores on these long episodes because I fall asleep. I actually think that this format with friends doesn’t really need scoring. They could still say how good or bad things were without actual scoring since friends aren’t really scoring as honestly as strangers do anyways.

Also, the guest brides seemed to be wearing normal dresses this season, not brightly colored and too-short. 

• Love 1

Thanks for the recap, ichbin.  I fell asleep and didn't know the final tally.  I'm with others who don't like the new format or the 2 hours.  I think I'm done.

6 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I must be the only person who likes rare steak. When the brides complain about their meal I'm thinking it looks delicious. How did Christina announce she was pregnant at their reception?

Cristina did not announce she was pregnant; there was a tradition that, before the couple cuts the cake, guests shout out wishes for the couple.  Many guests shouted "A baby!  A baby!" and her TLC brides were like, "More kids?  WOW!" But as I far as I can tell, there was no baby on the way.  Yet.  These two are pretty God-Squad so I am sure there is another coming.....someday.  And, I too, LOVE a rare steak.  I order it a step away from having a vet step in to save it.

10 hours ago, ichbin said:

train had an awkward button up thing going on across the back of the waist

Cristina's bustle DID look a little weird.  It was not even and kinda messy.  Frankly, ALL the dresses were kinda boring, nothing no one has seen before.  I also knew Cristina would have A LOT to day about the Day of the Dead theme from Teia.  She probably thought Satan would be summoned or something - I was on a FB live feed during the show (not the whole show, I could not take two full hours) and Teia showed up!  She did not comment much though.

Frankly the whole show was dull - the ONLY story worth telling was why Cristina's family refused to talk to her for years!!!!  And no one was blabbing......

10 hours ago, ichbin said:

Someone didn't think the gown of another was appropriate.

NO ONE has any room to bitch on this front as they ALL LOOK IDENTICAL!

• Love 1
14 hours ago, ichbin said:

Please, no more Dr. Pimple Popper commercials!

Thank you!  Disgusting!

I still don't like the new format and length. Bring back the snarkiness and sniping that made the show fun.  Starting to think it's not worth giving it 2 hours of my life in the future.

I didn't watch.  I was wondering if it was worthwhile to tune in.  Let's face it, an hour is long enough.  

• Love 1

Maybe it's just me, but if I had five kids the thing at the bottom of the list of what to spend money on would be an unnecessary vow renewal ceremony.  

Vow renewals are a "thing" for brides who didn't get enough attention the first time.  As Oprah said, when people kept asking her about a wedding:  "I can buy a new dress, and have all my friends over for a big party any time I want.  Why does it have to be a wedding?"

Have a party, have any party you want. But don't try to disguise it as a wedding to relive some princess fantasy. 

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, cpcathy said:

I can't agree more. I've been married for seventeen years and I would NOT want another wedding. I cannot stand vow renewals--just have an anniversary party.

My niece just had a vow renewal for their 10th.  Her stepmom said it was very moving.  ???    I don’t even know what that means!  An anniversary party should suffice.

BTW - one previous bride (could have been on another show) had a gender reveal at the wedding.  I’m an old fuddy duddy, but that seems a bit tasteless, as well as as  more attention seeking.  One thing at a time, please.

Edited by WarnerCL45
  • Love 1

Oh yippee, two brides have the same venue again. 

Teia's sounded like it was the oddest but I think she's the one bride I'd love to be friends with.  And the burgundy was beautiful.  And I liked her dress.  The jewels gave it a different color tone than the skirt.  This does make me wonder how difficult it is to be "different" and win this thing when people judge so harshly for "non-traditional."

I think the winner deserved her win, based on the fact that it was a well-executed traditional wedding.  It didn't push the boundaries but nothing really went wrong.

The section with the guys is getting shorter but they're also getting robbed.  The first episode of the "it's personal" format had the guys getting relaxing shaves.  Last week, they played darts in a basement.  This week, they did physical labor putting up a playground for one of the couples' daughters.  Then that same couple supposedly bought a house after the wedding.  So what happened to the play area?  Did they only use it for a few months or had they actually purchased their house before their wedding? 

17 hours ago, rlc said:

Tia and I are very different. She has crazy purple hair and tattoos and I believe in god...(long pause) and she’s an atheist”. Wow- not sure I’m going to make it through this one.

Yeah.  There was a little judgment going both ways (OMG---Christians dance) but Cristina made me roll my eyes the most.  Ooh, look how scary face painting is.  Thank goodness I have my hubby here to protect me. She's not sure how "okay" with the wedding she'd be.  Sheesh, it's not her wedding. 

But my least favorite comment was when she gave one of the brides a 7 for dress after saying it was perfect but she was taking points off because it wasn't the "traditional white."  Honey, if you want to be "traditional," none of the brides should be wearing white as none of them are virgins. 

Is dancing after walking down the aisle a thing?  Or just a thing for this show?

• Love 7

I think going for all moms helped them get women who actually knew each other, but I'm still doubting these four were ever great friends.

I again thought the right person won, but overall liked Cristina's wedding the best.  "Dead" bride's first dress was my favorite; at least it was something different. I love purple & thought her hair was very pretty.

The other two weddings, which included the winner, were again very similar. I could not understand the winner having a second dress that was so similar to her first, & nothing much original to it at that.

I could never watch Pimple Popper lady; even typing that made me queasy.

• Love 3

I think having a second dress is such a waste of money unless you need something for the ceremony that isn’t your style. But otherwise splurging on two dresses just makes all of the effort put into finding your wedding dress wasted time. Neither dress is special at that point. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, alexa said:

I think having a second dress is such a waste of money unless you need something for the ceremony that isn’t your style. But otherwise splurging on two dresses just makes all of the effort put into finding your wedding dress wasted time. Neither dress is special at that point. 

I would have only bought a second dress if I was wearing my antique grandma's gown and was scared to spill on it, tear it, rip it, you name it as I am a grade a klutz and it would have happened.  There, once again, is the beauty of my $60 Amazon dress, lol!!!  No worries about those things!!!

1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

Ooh, look how scary face painting is.  Thank goodness I have my hubby here to protect me.

From face paint?  

• Love 2

That was boring. If they have to keep this new friends/family theme, at least cut out all the extra crap and just show the wedding. I really didn't care for the whole painting ceramics scene to show how great of friends they all are. And not to be a jerk, but I could've done without the son's accident as well. I just want to snark on weddings!!

Please TLC, if you do another season, go back to the original formula!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

But my least favorite comment was when she gave one of the brides a 7 for dress after saying it was perfect but she was taking points off because it wasn't the "traditional white."  Honey, if you want to be "traditional," none of the brides should be wearing white as none of them are virgins. 

Nothing screams tradition like having a white wedding ceremony 15 years and 5 kids after an elopement.

• Love 8