Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: All Rise

Message added by Meredith Quill

Community Manager Note

Official notice that the topic of Sean DeMarco is off limits. If you have 1-on-1 thoughts to complete please take it to PM with each other.

If you have questions, contact the forum moderator @PrincessPurrsALot.  Do not discuss this limit to this discussion in here. Doing so will result in a warning. 

• Start Topic

(edited)

I don't know if that's what happened in this case, and I didn't want to find out lest my blood pressure rise.

Recap for those not watching.  Pretty, Shiba Inu (thank you lovesnark) is wandering the streets at night and gets let into plaintiff's house by a friend of the plaintiff.  They call dog's owner, a neighbor.  The dog is not on a leash but has a collar and seems friendly enough.  Dog wanders into the house and quickly chases and attacks plaintiff's cat.  Cat, due to severe injuries, age, cost of surgery, needs to be euthanized.  Defendant blames Santa Anna, hurricane-level, winds for his dog getting loose, but JJ didn't care, as he wasn't responsible in the first place.  JJ explains that because the plaintiff let the dog into his house, the defendant is not responsible.  Plaintiff then tries to say he, personally, did not let the dog in.  But, others in the house did, so that leads him nowhere.  Please note, as the case is going the defendant's way, he is smirking.  Yes, smirking over his dog killing the good Samaritan plaintiff's cat and not being held liable.  JJ then asks defendant if he, being a good person, offered to pay part of the vet bill?  Defendant starts to hem and haw, but does end up saying, under JJ pressure to answer, that he offered to pay half.  I doubt he did.  JJ, who was not happy with the way the law played in this case, pounces on that and quickly rules for plaintiff for $500, half of the vet bill, though that amount was not actually half (of $1,106) because JJ cannot be bothered to do simple math.

Edited by Bazinga
  • Love 8

Recap for those not watching.  Pretty, I think, Akita is wandering the streets at night and gets let into plaintiff's house by a friend of the plaintiff.  They call defendant, a neighbor.  The dog is not on a leash but has a collar and seems friendly enough.  Dog wanders into the house and quickly chases and attacks plaintiff's cat.  Cat, due to severe injuries, age, cost of surgery, needs to be euthanized.  Defendant seems to want to blame Santa Anna, hurricane-level winds for the dog getting loose, but JJ didn't care, as he wasn't responsible in the first place.  JJ explains that because the plaintiff let the dog into his house, the defendant is not responsible.  Plaintiff then tries to say he, personally, did not let the dog in.  But, others in the house did, so that leads him nowhere.  Please note, as the case is going the defendant's way, he is smirking.  Yes, smirking over his dog killing the good Samaritan plaintiff's cat and not being held liable.  JJ then asks defendant if he, being a good person, offered to pay part of the vet bill?  Defendant starts to hem and haw, but does end up saying he offered to pay half.  I doubt he did.  JJ, who was not happy with the way the law played in this case, pounces on that and quickly rules for plaintiff for $500, half of the vet bill, though that amount was not actually half ($1,106) because JJ cannot be bothered to do simple math.

Thanks for the recap. I missed the first part of it because my daughter called. You'd think by now she'd know better than to call me during JJ!! The dog was a Shiba Inu.  They're were originally used as hunting dogs in Japan and need a strong leader for a human. I've known two of them and both were very dog aggressive, one was people aggressive as well.

• Love 2

We had a Shiba Inu who crossed the rainbow bridge at the age 16.  They can be excellent dogs but it's all in the training and being consistant.  Unfortunately they've become trendy which means they are going to be ending up in homes with people who just can't handle them.  They are very bright dogs with a high prey drive and should never be off lead.  They are also escape artists and run like the wind when they do get out.  They are great dogs when raised right.

Yes, smirking over his dog killing the good Samaritan plaintiff's cat and not being held liable.

Thank you Bazinga. Yes, I'm glad I didn't watch it.

Unfortunately they've become trendy which means they are going to be ending up in homes with people who just can't handle them.  They are very bright dogs with a high prey drive and should never be off lead.

Whenever a breed becomes trendy, it's doomed. This is not a breed for unknowledgeable or lazy people. My neighbours have a Shiba. Foxy little thing - cute as the dickens, but he runs away every chance he gets.  His owners - who have had him for at least eight years - still have not figured out how to prevent that. If people are too dumb to keep a dog on their property, they really shouldn't have one.

• Love 3

Shibas are escape artists.  It can not be said enough.  You could have a six foot fence and they are going to find a way out, over or under.  They scale cyclone fences like they are ladders. They are hunters by nature and active.  If you leave them in the yard to get bored, they are going to get out and find something interesting. On the other hand they are loving, quirkly smart dogs, great little watch dogs and if properly socialized, great with kids and other animals.

• Love 2

Hopefully, the people behind the scenes who are in charge of paperwork disburse the appropriate amounts to the respective parties.

Sometimes if Byrd finishes his puzzle in time for the verdict, he corrects JJ's math.

• Love 2

When JJ asked when the dog was inside smirk face said "when we let him in"

(ack, what happened to the buttons?? they seem to be disappearing intermittently in the reply box)

I always wonder why such people bother to have a dog, if they aren't going to interact with it? 

Smirky McDouchebag is a person whose ass cannot be kicked enough. 

• Love 4

Defendant blames Santa Anna, hurricane-level, winds for his dog getting loose, but JJ didn't care, as he wasn't responsible in the first place.

I had the feeling JJ (who lives in Sarasota, Florida during her off season, where there are REAL hurricanes) was making fun of the defendant the whole time. I hate to break it to him but hurricane force winds START at 75 MPH. Yes, I've lived in SoCal where Santa Ana winds will blow hard but as with most weather issues, SoCal residents tend to exaggerate  quite a bit. If the wind was blowing that hard, the guy should have either brought the dog in the garage and CLOSED THE DOOR (oh bother, he might have had to pick up a few dog turds if the dog couldn't go out and "do his business") or secure the gate with a chain or lock.  I did like the way JJ insinuated the defendant was a bit of a louse if he hadn't offered to pay some of the vet bill and I loved the way she jumped on it when he admitted to offering to pay half. '

Regarding escape-artist dogs - I have several pugs - and they aren't the couch potato lumps people think they are. My younger pug is nearly 9 and that dog will FLY out the door if it's left ajar and she will run like the wind - one of my neighbors opened her car door to try and keep her out of traffic and the dog got right in. 

• Love 2

she jumped on it when he admitted to offering to pay half

Personally, I think that he never offered (or it would have come up earlier in the case), but the jerk thought he saw a chance to look less like the jerk he is by claiming he had offered half. JJ's eyes lit up when she suckerd him into this, which gave her a legal basis to award half of the costs to the plaintiff.

• Love 4

And what mother has her two sons in a courtroom to hear how she sleeps over with a man? Where are the barriers in families these days?

I wonder about this all the time, because we see this ALL the time - parents who want their (often) young children to sit there and hear about their sordid affairs in detail.

• Love 2

Ohhh, I wanted to smack Smirky's entire face right off the front of his skull. Clear and present douchebag, and I was thrilled and moderately appeased that JJ was able to at least wrest half the vet bills out of him. Sad case. As for the daughter, she had so much makeup spackled on that I totally thought she was a girlfriend/trophy wife until told otherwise, yikes. How old is that girl? 

• Love 4

Does anyone know why the guy was suing the dude who he said used his info to buy a car? And how did he know? I was so confused.

Your guess is as good as mine. I was completely confused too!

• Love 3

showed her insightful sentence tattoo. Cause you know it was all kinds of awesome thoughts.

Gotta be deep. Really deep, man. How old was this car? I missed the beginning, because, you know - fugitives. Every single FUCKING day. Oh, pardon me.

I find it amusing how people are shocked when their old beater cars conk out, as though it must always be someone's fault. Some of those heaps are so old they probably died of natural causes.

• Love 4

Gotta be deep. Really deep, man. How old was this car? I missed the beginning, because, you know - fugitives. Every single FUCKING day. Oh, pardon me.

I find it amusing how people are shocked when their old beater cars conk out, as though it must always be someone's fault. Some of those heaps are so old they probably died of natural causes.

I'm so sorry that you keep getting pre-empted by fugitives.  When the hell are they gonna catch these monsters?  Oh, and they ARE monsters; they were gonna kill their prison employee/driver and her husband. 

• Love 1

Your guess is as good as mine. I was completely confused too!

So from my understanding of the case, Mr. Deputy (really?) got a phone call from the woman who sold the defendant the car since that was the information she had from the sale. Mr. Deputy wanted to know who used his information, which is reasonable. But he wasn't out any money as a direct result of the defendant's actions. I guess JJ awarded $500 as 'you can't do what you did' money.

Long time lurker, first time posting. And to be consistent, I made sure to pick a food-based username. 

• Love 6

So from my understanding of the case, Mr. Deputy (really?) got a phone call from the woman who sold the defendant the car since that was the information she had from the sale. Mr. Deputy wanted to know who used his information, which is reasonable. But he wasn't out any money as a direct result of the defendant's actions. I guess JJ awarded $500 as 'you can't do what you did' money.

Long time lurker, first time posting. And to be consistent, I made sure to pick a food-based username.

Welcome down from the attic! Thanks for the explanation.
  • Love 1

I had to finally make the decision after $3,500 worth of bills and three surgeries to have our English bulldog put to sleep. Worst thing you have to do if you have a heart.

StewedSquash so sorry about your loss. It's awful putting down a pet. 

It's FRIDAY! folks and I'm so flippin happy because tonight I have several stored JJ episodes to watch! 

• Love 1

Welcome, popcornchicken! Ack, every time I come here and see ToasterStrudel, StewedSquash, CoolWhipLite and now you, I get hungry!

StewedSquash - very sorry here too about your dog. I know having to make that decision is heart-rending and it never gets easier. It gets worse, actually.:(

• Love 2

And to be consistent, I made sure to pick a food-based username.

Hee!  I saw your post and thought, wow, we have a lot of foodies here.  And then you explained it yourself! Nice job. And a hearty welcome!

StewedSquash, so sorry to hear of your loss. We once had a vet tell us that this is the last kind thing you can do for your pet. if you've ever been to a nursing home, you understand. We've put down three wonderful Goldens, and it is devastating. But we know they are romping, healthy and happy, chasing squirrels,and swimming in lakes, ponds, and swamps. I hope your little one finds ours, and makes new friends.  Hugs to you.

• Love 1

Judge Judy dismissed two or three cases this week and told the litigants to go back to their small claims court and have their cases adjudicated there, I wonder if these people still get and compensation from the producers?  If so, that doesn't seem to be much of an incentive to keep people from making up fake cases, which I assume if the reason she throws the cases out of her court.  Does anyone have any info on what happens when she refuses to rule on a case?

Judge Judy dismissed two or three cases this week and told the litigants to go back to their small claims court and have their cases adjudicated there, I wonder if these people still get and compensation from the producers?  If so, that doesn't seem to be much of an incentive to keep people from making up fake cases, which I assume if the reason she throws the cases out of her court.  Does anyone have any info on what happens when she refuses to rule on a case?

From what I've read, the production company sets aside an amount for the case - usually, it's the amount that's being asked for by the plaintiff.  Depending on the judgment, either the plaintiff or the defendant gets the award.

But if JJ thinks there's collusion, she sends them back to a local court.  In that case, the litigants do NOT get the amount set aside.  All they get is an appearance fee (rumored to be between $100 and $500 each, and an all-expenses paid trip from their residence to L.A. for the taping.  So some of these folks make up stuff, because the least they'll end up with is a free vacation and pocket money.

Apparently she also sometimes sends them back so that the guilty party will have to pay the judgment out of their own funds, rather than having JJ pay it for them.

• Love 6

More pathetic, desperate women. How many here would go on national television and admit you showered some shifty deadbeat with four thousand dollars?? AND admit you're so stupid that you think he would pay you back when he doesn't even pay for the offspring he sired and owes 15K in back child support? Of course, Mr. Rene could have some amazing hidden charms I failed to see.

• Love 5

More pathetic, desperate women. How many here would go on national television and admit you showered some shifty deadbeat with four thousand dollars?? AND admit you're so stupid that you think he would pay you back when he doesn't even pay for the offspring he sired and owes 15K in back child support? Of course, Mr. Rene could have some amazing hidden charms I failed to see.

She's just lucky she got SOMETHING back.  What a pair of losers!

• Love 2
(edited)

I got FIFA today.

The Grandma stealing sisters?  I knew from the get go the first time I saw it they were lying about their grades.  I think that's why JJ kept harping on it hoping to see an ounce of shame on their faces but she couldn't get it out of these two hardened criminals.  She prides herself on seeing lies and for the most part she's right.

Edited by QuelleC
  • Love 4

The brother and sister from the rerun today were very .... um, how to say this ... unfortunate looking. (They claimed their old roommate owed them money for breaking a lease when they clearly had basically driven him out.) Once again decency reins when Judy wasn't having any of their BS.

• Love 3

I got fugitives again today, or should I say FUGITIVE, since one of them (the well-endowed one) got blown away, thank goodness. Maybe now we'll only have half the interruptions.

They interrupted JJ today for this and I might be going straight to hell but I admit I did chuckle and thought of this board and your posts about the "well endowed fugitive" when I heard he'd been killed.

• Love 7

The brother and sister from the rerun today were very .... um, how to say this ... unfortunate looking.

Really and truly. I don't know what's wrong with the def. but whatever it is, it was probably exacerbated by having those two gargoyles hounding him.

I admit I did chuckle and thought of this board and your posts about the "well endowed fugitive" when I heard he'd been killed

No mention was made of his package during the report of his WAY overdue demise. If we're lucky, the other one will assume room temperature before too long. 

• Love 2

When I heard cousin by marriage, I thought it was the stepson of her aunt or uncle. Cousin of a spouse never entered my mind.

My brother-in-law is the first cousin of a celebrity.  Does that make the celebrity my cousin by marriage?

• Love 1

A disturbing JJ rerun in the middle of the night.  21 yr old renting a room was held responsible for her boyfriend hitting walls and slamming her around.  Graffiti on the walls, too.  JJ gave her a big lecture on how at her age she should be looking her best and was headed for being an old woman by the age of 30.  She told her to go home and get well.

If that wasn't horrifying enough, lady wanted her Pom dog stuffed and defendant produced a sketch he made at some unknown point, probably in time for court, but did nothing but "take measurements".  Creepy plaintiff currently has transferred the decomposing dog into her own freezer and had another taxidermist inspect it before court.  In the hallterview she revealed she wanted its legs to bend so she could take it with her on her motorcycle.  You can't make this stuff up.  No wonder I'm still awake. Having buried my last cat myself (I built her a pine box), how you could live knowing it was in the freezer and having to handle it occasionally, I just don't know.

• Love 7

hallterview she revealed she wanted its legs to bend so she could take it with her on her motorcycle.

I remember her! I was totally horrified at the thought of one my much-loved pets being stuffed (or freeze-dried) and moved around my house. How disrespectful to a living creature.  What's next with her - stuffing Grandpa and sitting him in his Lazy-boy? Ugh.

• Love 2

My brother-in-law is the first cousin of a celebrity.  Does that make the celebrity my cousin by marriage?

That makes you a celebrity by proxy! Can I have your autograph? wait, let me get my selfie stick before you get your own reality show!

I have some fake nieces. Follow this - my son in law had a cousin who was raised by his mother and father (they were abused and taken away from his aunt). That girl was a JJ nightmare and had a pretty messed up life including three kids by two different baby daddies (#1 and #3 have the same BD, #2 who knows). Due to legal and mental health issues those three girls were taken away from the COUSIN and my son in law's mother and father were raising THEM. At some point SIL's maw and paw got ill and my SIL and my daughter were raising them f(my daughter is 26 with three kids 14, 13 and 11 hehehe). I am involved in their lives so what would that make me?  It was just easier to be Aunt HelloPatti.  

Was the Pom in the freezer a new case? Dang I missed it! It sounds horrible and hilarious at the same time. And like an episode of Hoarders Gone Wild. I can imagine reaching in for a little ice cream at the end of the night and seeing my pooch in the freezer. NOT.

ItsHelloPattiagain - the stuffed dog was a fairly old case. I saw it just once and that was more than enough.

I know dogs don't have souls

With the pure, unconditional love they give, I would think they do,  if I truly believed in such things.

• Love 4
(edited)

Welcome, popcornchicken! Ack, every time I come here and see ToasterStrudel, StewedSquash, CoolWhipLite and now you, I get hungry!

We should have a watch party/potluck. 

Hee!  I saw your post and thought, wow, we have a lot of foodies here.  And then you explained it yourself! Nice job. And a hearty welcome!

Thanks for the welcome, guys. And sorry to hear about your dog StewedSquash.

No mention was made of his package during the report of his WAY overdue demise.

Is he an organ donor?

Edited by popcornchicken
  • Love 2
(edited)

Taxidermist defendant was talking about having to tan the hide and making a form.  How in the hell can you pay someone to strip off your pet's skin.  That I guess had to move per plaintiff's specifications for $300.  Really gruesome and there was a young lady in the background that was holding her mouth so she wouldn't react.  All to put if on her ***** cycle.  I'm sorry, that was terrifying.  JJ was even sympathetic, she asked if she had a new dog and she did, and JJ said you'll fall in love again.  She said her her friend Alan Alda was scarred over the fact his parents stuffed his childhood dog and told her it was a BAD IDEA.  I won't comment again about this.

Edited by QuelleC
  • Love 2

Dammit $4000 is a lot of money it will get you a good used car.

According to many litigants, $600 - $800 should get you a perfect car, and if it falls short of perfection, sue!

Even a million years ago when I got my first car, I paid $1500 was for something decent. I cannot imagine expecting anything of a $600 car.

I think my first car cost $600.  It was a 63 (I think) Nash Rambler station wagon, kind of mauve in color.  I named it Puta.

My first car cost $500. It was a Chevy Chevette. Amazingly, it had a six cylinder engine. I don't know how I survived 1988. I sure had some fun in that car!

• Love 1

$800 74 Superbeetle I drove to college in the mid 80's and the first five years of my son's life.  I learned to drive in that car and have had a stick shift ever since. 

• Love 4

I must be a sucker for punishment. I actually watched the whole case of Super Blabbermouth Cherise, a 22 year old college student with ginormous fake eyelashes,  who says things like "We wuz" and "Me and him went..." vs her ex, Pootie Tang, who likes to "mess wid females" and was completely unable to comply with JJ's heartfelt plea to "Speak like a person!"  Oh, my poor ears.

But really, I hated them less than I did Suzanne Grissom, school teacher, who presented JJ with doctored, copied documents (but she has the REAL copy - at home!) and who giggled and smirked at being caught out, as though being a really dumb liar is somehow cute. She only won because the def. was an even worse liar and scammer than she was. I just wanted to slap her.  A fine example she is for her students and her daughter, whose vacant expression never left her face.

• Love 9