Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: All Rise

Message added by Meredith Quill

Community Manager Note

Official notice that the topic of Sean DeMarco is off limits. If you have 1-on-1 thoughts to complete please take it to PM with each other.

If you have questions, contact the forum moderator @PrincessPurrsALot.  Do not discuss this limit to this discussion in here. Doing so will result in a warning. 

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, Brattinella said:

You can smoke, sign a contract, or fight for your country, but you can't buy booze until you are 21.

I personally think we're too early on the other stuff rather than too late for the booze.  I don't know why in hell we need eighteen-year-old kids whose brains aren't fully developed on the front lines of battle.  It's especially heinous when we're drafting them for such service, but I'm not quite sure we should left them sign themselves up quite so early when they really don't know what they're signing on for.

Then again, maybe parts of Europe have it right. A sixteen-year--old in most or all of Switzerland can buy a bottle of wine. He or she just can't drive.

Either way it's a tough question.

• Love 5
On 12/6/2017 at 0:36 PM, AZChristian said:

I never cease to be amazed that folks like the plaintiff will file suit in a public forum and risk being exposed in their lawbreaking schemes.  They think "street smarts" will outwit "book smarts."  Sure . . . JJ has NEVER heard "my phone fell into a spa/swimming pool/toilet so I don't have texes/my phone number list now."  How sad that it fell in JUST LAST NIGHT!!!!

Oh, and don't forget the phoney receipt and almost tears when lawyer disavows all knowledge ??

• Love 6
On 12/6/2017 at 1:38 PM, NYCFree said:

When I was an 18 year old college student I was arrested as part of an anti-apartheid civil disobedience protest.  A month or so later, the charges were dropped because the police were over enthusiastic in carrying out their duties and the district attorney declined to prosecute. I called my mom's school, where she was a teacher, and left a message (with her boss!) that the "charges were dropped." My mom later told me that her supervisor came to her classroom, blushed deeply, and gave her the message. My mom laughingly told him the backstory. Closest my family has gotten to a jailhouse story.

On topic, I was also reminded of Hoarders by the couple insisting they cleaned for a week and couldn't smell anything. The house probably was ten times better after their cleaning, and still a bio hazard to normal humans.

Nope, doesn't count... a single arrest only counts if your half sister's cousin's baby daddy's ex gifts you the bail money... now that will always qualify you for court TV - maybe even Dr Phil - definitely Jerry - if you have a big titty tat and wear a massive cross you're golden (oh, and wear something really stretchy at least 3 sizes too small if you weigh in at over 250 - bonus points if it's striped and your fat rolls partially cover any stripes)

oh dear, I need to get up and vacuum or something - this cold weather on top of having a cold has me just sitting here posting nonsense instead of getting outside a bit like normal

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, jilliannatalia said:

I personally think we're too early on the other stuff rather than too late for the booze. 

Indiana is trying to raise the age for using tobacco to 21 but I don't like the idea of creating a whole new criminal class.

• Love 2

The painter?? Whoa, at first I thought, oh poor little guy seems so sweet and honest. Then he's agreeing that he did a totally half-assed job worse than any amateur and for which he expected 4500$. I just painted 3 rooms in my house myself and guess what I did? I removed the switchplates. Yes, I know - it's a huge job and a real burden for a professional painter to do so he just painted around them, or even over them, because, see - even if he removed them he'd have to cut in around the holes!  No one would expect him to do so. He and/or his helpers were too lazy to wipe off paint they slopped on the doorframes! He painted over tape! They painted over holes in the walls! I plastered the holes in my walls and even sanded the plaster smooth. And then Jeffrey walked off the job because plaintiff was rightfully irate. I'd be screaming at him too Great publicity for you, Jeffrey Spring-Durovy. Anyone in that area looking for a paint job, you can see fine examples of his work on this ep,  and he freely admits that yeah, sure, that's the way he does it.

Melanie, who rented a room to Vernon, who then moved in his terrifying, Neanderthal-looking eventual squeeze he picked up on Plenty of Fish, is bitching because he spilled iced tea on her mattress and broke the sleighbed she had just "boughten" and broke the washer door and the microwave and blah blah, or whatever. Well, Melanie, shit happens when you move people in and give them free run of your house. Vernon wants his old TV back, but Melanie said he "abandondonded" it. JJ couldn't take it anymore: "ABANDONED!" Did Melanie say that Verson is a "real-a-tor?" A real-a-tor who was homeless. Hmmm. Vernon might have a few problems, I'd think.

14 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

Here's the video. Her name is Foxy now! 

OH, thanks for that! I never watched the episode but so happy to hear this poor little dog got a decent home with no more neglect. :)

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I can't believe no one's mentioned Noretha's roadkill coat yet.

My local station preempted for wildfire coverage.  I would be most appreciative if someone living within the radius of  a local affiliate with better news judgment were to tell me what I missed in regard to Noretha's roadkill coat, and, for that matter, anything else of significance that happened in The Land of the Half-Assed and Even-Less-than-Half-Witted  yesterday.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Great publicity for you, Jeffrey Spring-Durovy. Anyone in that area looking for a paint job, you can see fine examples of his work on this ep,  and he freely admits that yeah, sure, that's the way he does it.

I could not get over a so-called "professional painter" painting over those switch plates. And not just the switch plates -- the actual switches! And speaking as the world's least tolerant, lazy home-improvement-doing homeowner, who, after three minutes into a project is bored out of my mind and ready for a break, even *I* wouldn't consider doing that to save myself the five minutes of torture it would take me to remove the plates. He was sufficiently contrite in his hallterview however, and did admit his fuck ups -- but damn! That case needed to be settled away from the cameras or he's gonna be relegated to painting house numbers on curbs for the rest of his life.

Admission: I thought he was super cute. And I am ashamed. 

10 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

had just "boughten" 

Ya know, I have in the past admitted to being born into a family of grammar manglers, but I never heard this nails-on-chalkboard phrase out of any of their mouths. I can't get over the constant usage of it (along with "had went") by the litigants on this show! 

39 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

Ya know, I have in the past admitted to being born into a family of grammar manglers, but I never heard this nails-on-chalkboard phrase out of any of their mouths. I can't get over the constant usage of it (along with "had went") by the litigants on this show! 

I'm sure it doesn't help, but 'boughten' is actually a word. It means that it came from a store instead of being homemade, but it's like 'betwixt' in that no one really uses it anymore, at least not commonly. And not in the way most of the litigants mean it.

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I'm sure it doesn't help, but 'boughten' is actually a word. It means that it came from a store instead of being homemade, but it's like 'betwixt' in that no one really uses it anymore, at least not commonly. And not in the way most of the litigants mean it.

Thank you! Had no idea "boughten" was a real word! And yes, you're correct - the litigants by no means are using it to state its actual meaning. 

It's bizarre that they can't put the "had" in its rightful place before saying "seen" yet seem to willy nilly add it in front of verbs in which it should never be. 

21 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I'm sure it doesn't help, but 'boughten' is actually a word.

My mother used to say, in relating tales of her past on the farm, that something was "store-boughten" but she never used it the way litigants do, as a verb - "I had just boughten it."

1 hour ago, Giant Misfit said:

He was sufficiently contrite in his hallterview however, and did admit his fuck ups -- but damn!

But not contrite enough to give back any of the money he knew he wrongfully kept, until he was dragged into court. Even then, his attitude was, "Yeah, I know I'm a sloppy hack who did a horrible job, but it wasn't my fault. Plaintiff got mad at me - he was just being picky  - so I got frightened and had to leave the job. It was all his fault." He tried to claim the mess was due to him not being able to finish the job that he walked away from. What was he going to do to fix it -  unpaint the light switches?

I wonder if he might not find that showing up here instead of just giving the money back may have been a false economy.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

I could not get over a so-called "professional painter" painting over those switch plates. And not just the switch plates -- the actual switches! And speaking as the world's least tolerant, lazy home-improvement-doing homeowner, who, after three minutes into a project is bored out of my mind and ready for a break, even *I* wouldn't consider doing that to save myself the five minutes of torture it would take me to remove the plates. He was sufficiently contrite in his hallterview however, and did admit his fuck ups -- but damn! That case needed to be settled away from the cameras or he's gonna be relegated to painting house numbers on curbs for the rest of his life.

I am a bit lazy and could see myself painting over the switch plates - MAYBE - but not the switches,  But if I paid someone to do something, I expect them to do it better than I would.  Otherwise, why bother paying?

• Love 8

I was just reading one of the Little House books with my niece. Boughten was an acceptable word back in the  childhood days of Laura Ingalls Wilder. She used the word in context herself while describing household goods, and not just in quoting semi-literate characters.  Perhaps these people just read a whole lot of Laura Ingalls Wilder's material and are not, themselves, semi-literate.. That's the excuse I'm giving them, though they're probably to stupid to take it.

I'm not much of a painter, as I've never painted anything except with those tempera school paints  (the other kids in my high school class wouldn't allow me to paint any part of the posters that were created for Spirit Week competition because I could ruin a perfectly good poster with a single stroke of a paint brush)  that kindergartners use for easel painting, and even as the teacher, there were always several kindergartners whose finished products were superior to mine,  but even if a person were too lazy or stupid to take the plates off, couldn't he or she put a bit of masking tape over each switch plate?  I'm not an expert,  as is obvious by now, but I think even I could carefully cover just the full switch plates and none of the wall.  It wouldn't be significantly easier than removing the plates -- six of one, half dozen of the other --  but say  (I'm trying to give lazy, stupid people the benefit of the doubt here) a person did not have a screwdriver to his or her name nor did anyone sufficiently close to the person to lend one to him or her. There would then be the option of taping over the thing. So now you have not just one but two alternatives to painting over the switch plate AND switch.  Maybe the person really likes painting so much that he felt he had to paint everything in sight, sort of like what would happen if you armed  a three-year-old with an open gallon of paint and  a brush, and pointed him in the direction of a  particular wall.  That's probably the sort of result you would get.

Edited by jilliannatalia
  • Love 3
30 minutes ago, jilliannatalia said:

Boughten was an acceptable word back in the  childhood days of Laura Ingalls Wilder.

It's still an acceptable word, but as an adjective. Anyone who says, "I had just boughten it" sounds like an ignoramus, right, Melanie?

bought·en

ˈbôtn/

adjective

North American dialect

adjective: boughten

bought rather than homemade.

"wooden boxes full of boughten cookies"

But maybe in the way that "party" has become a verb, "boughten" will too. I give up.

even if a person were too lazy or stupid to take the plates off, couldn't he or she put a bit of masking tape over each switch plate?

Masking each outlet and switchplate cover, if done perfectly, takes at least three times as long as it would to take out one or two tiny screws. Considering how lazy this guy is, that was never happening. The only things I mask off are baseboards or objects like shelves that are firmly affixed to the wall because, well, I'm too lazy to take them down, but it's my house. If I were being paid thousands of dollars to paint, I'd remove everything for a neat job. I'd also fill holes before painting over them!  I bet Jeffrey would paint around large pieces of furniture too and get paint all over them. "It takes too long to push that dresser away from the wall."

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

Mr. Funky thought that it was a case of the guy had too many jobs, and either subbed this one out and didn't tell the truth about it, or left the job go unsupervised, and was trying to cover his tracks.  But I do believe the plaintiff got jerky with him.

When we repainted a room in our old house, Casa De Tiny, we had such a difficult time with it that it became the only room we repainted, and left the rest look iffy until we moved out (when the landlady sold the house).  The walls were SO bad and had been repaired so many times prior that it took many coats, and still looked crappy, no matter what we did.  But we did replace all of the faceplates (many of which had been painted over).  They're like $.50 at the hardware store.  That's a no-brainer.

• Love 6
On 12/7/2017 at 9:58 AM, jilliannatalia said:

Then again, maybe parts of Europe have it right. A sixteen-year--old in most or all of Switzerland can buy a bottle of wine. He or she just can't drive.

I didn't get my driver's license until several years after I was old enough to drink, and it's a far more sensible arrangement - by the time I was driving, I already knew what being drunk felt like, how I was affected by it, and how long it would take before I wasn't.

Today's case featured Good Twin, Financially Irresponsible Twin. I didn't catch the start, just the part where FIT (the defendant) is explaining that there was a settlement having something to do with their mother's death, and she only got $100K when her sister got $150K, and that's so unfair and somehow that isn't enough for I'm not sure what, because she's not employed but taking two classes per semester on a 4 year college plan. Oh, and she's 49. Boyd may or may not be paying for her college.

Over to GT, who is the polar opposite - took that $150K and invested it, has a good job, has a 25-yo son who lives at home but that's OK because he's going to college full time, has a husband retired on disability who's still doing some sort of part time socially-relevant work. And yes, that settlement was split down the middle, but FIT had borrowed money and so $50K went to that first.

Edited by Jamoche
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, Jamoche said:

I didn't get my driver's license until several years after I was old enough to drink, and it's a far more sensible arrangement - by the time I was driving, I already knew what being drunk felt like, how I was affected by it, and how long it would take before I wasn't.

Today's case featured Good Twin, Financially Irresponsible Twin. I didn't catch the start, just the part where FIT (the defendant) is explaining that there was a settlement having something to do with their mother's death, and she only got $100K when her sister got $150K, and that's so unfair and somehow that isn't enough for I'm not sure what, because she's not employed but taking two classes per semester on a 4 year college plan. Oh, and she's 49. Boyd may or may not be paying for her college.

Over to GT, who is the polar opposite - took that $150K and invested it, has a good job, has a 25-yo son who lives at home but that's OK because he's going to college full time, has a husband retired on disability who's still doing some sort of part time socially-relevant work. And yes, that settlement was split down the middle, but FIT had borrowed money and so $50K went to that first.

They sure didn't look like twins to me, although JJ said they were. The irresponsible twin should have spent some of that money on braces.

• Love 5

I think FI twin is Rode-Hard-and-Put-Up-Wet-and-Now-Also-On-Crack  Twin.  Now there's a case of nature vs. nurture vs. whatever life throws your way and how you deal with it.  Both have the same biology and the same upbringing yet, wow.  And this certainly wasn't the first time Good loaned her money, but hopefully the last, since Byrd and I are footing the bill for her college edumacation..

• Love 11
6 hours ago, basiltherat said:

I think FI twin is Rode-Hard-and-Put-Up-Wet-and-Now-Also-On-Crack  Twin. 

But she's in school, learning "Criminal Justice." I'm sure when she graduates, maybe by the time she's 65, she'll start a very lucrative practice or career. I wonder what she blew all that money on? Byrd is paying for her school and she lives with some guy.

Jackson vs. Johnson - couple playing house "off and on" for years and during the "on" times producing two kids: Did Mr. Johnson say he's a tutor? Did I hear correctly? He's a jailbird (okay, so he was only in the slammer for three "munfs" and seems to think it's no big deal), a petty criminal who says things like, "we wuz" and "It was mineS" so what kind of tutoring could he be doing? Certainly not English.  Now I see ever more clearly why so many kids are illiterate, if the people teaching them cannot speak even basic English correctly. And Ms. Johnson, (with such massive fake lashes that they seemed to be impairing her vision)? Bleaching his clothes? Really? That's gotten so old. Think of some new and original way for the mother of two to show her disapproval of her baby daddy's actions.

• Love 3
On 12/8/2017 at 11:30 PM, Jamoche said:

she only got $100K when her sister got $150K

But the kicker was she did get $150K! What she was trying to say, and since she couldn't because she was too brain dead to articulate it properly (nice admissions standards you have there at Strayer University!), was that she took out one of those scam loans from some shady financial company (some of whom have advertised on JJ) that fronts you settlement money before you get a settlement. Naturally, they take a hefty cut of the money which probably left her with $12K instead of $50K, or something like that. That she had to scam another $2K from her sister after she blew threw a six-figure settlement in less than a year in mind boggling. Now she's nine-thousand dollars in the hole to Strayer University (another JJ advertiser), clearly the Harvard University for Online Learnin', for her "full time" studies of two classes a semester. 

1 hour ago, Giant Misfit said:

was that she took out one of those scam loans from some shady financial company (some of whom have advertised on JJ) that fronts you settlement money before you get a settlement.

I bet that's it. There are the same ads for income tax returns - no waiting!  They make it sound as though it's a public service but there's some writing at the bottom of the ad, which is so tiny only a Peregrin falcon could read it.

I never heard of Strayer University and it's difficult to get information because:

School refused to fill out U.S. News statistical survey.

but the numbers that are available are... interesting, if I am reading them correctly.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/strayer-1459/rankings

• Love 1
2 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I never heard of Strayer University and it's difficult to get information because:

School refused to fill out U.S. News statistical survey.

That's terrifying

I just went on a delete-a-ton of some backlogged JJ reruns. I just can't deal with any more rent cases or dog abuse cases. 

4 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

But the kicker was she did get $150K! What she was trying to say, and since she couldn't because she was too brain dead to articulate it properly (nice admissions standards you have there at Strayer University!), was that she took out one of those scam loans from some shady financial company

Thanks! I could not figure out who she'd borrowed the money from in all that rambling of "they only gave me $100K" - give your pronouns some antecedents, dammit! - just that Good Twin's first words were that of course they'd split it evenly. And the school money is also a loan? *eyeroll* I could not figure out where that money came from either - as far as she's concerned, it just magically appears in her account because she's a "student".

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

I just can't deal with any more rent cases or dog abuse cases. 

I'll add to that roommate cases, either with silly, overly entitled children trying to play "grownup" or waaaay older people squawking because their doddering roomie ate their damned cereal or breathed too loud or something.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Jamoche said:

Thanks! I could not figure out who she'd borrowed the money from in all that rambling of "they only gave me $100K" - give your pronouns some antecedents, dammit! - just that Good Twin's first words were that of course they'd split it evenly. And the school money is also a loan? *eyeroll* I could not figure out where that money came from either - as far as she's concerned, it just magically appears in her account because she's a "student".

I sometimes think JJ is a bit hard on re-entry students (or older first-time students), as sometimes there's a legitimate need to change careers in mid-life, and additional education may be needed.  (Where I personally draw the line in being judgmental about people over thirty or people who already have families returning to institutes of higher education is when those older students do stupid things like join sororities.   My niece's friend's mother is divorced, with two daughters, and has decided to finish her degree in music so she doesn't have to be a dental assistant any longer. She freaking joined a sorority. It doesn't speak well for any sorority that would accept a pledge who has a thirteen-year-old and a ten-year-old at home to care for. She thinks she has time to act like a college kid when she's thirty-four and has already brought two children into the world)     If the defendant really was 49 and was taking just two courses per term, she'll probably croak before she completes any degree program, and were there any actual loan, Sallie Mae or whoever holds the loan would be left holding the bag. More likely the education is being comped.

Edited by jilliannatalia
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, jilliannatalia said:

More likely the education is being comped.

I'm fairly certain she said she had a $9000 student loan. Of which, she probably spent $2000 on her full-time, two-class schedule and the rest went into the great abyss where the $150,000 resides. 

7 hours ago, shksabelle said:

And I doubt Strayer “University” requires very high, or ANY, SAT scores.

I don't even think you have to be sentient to be a "student" there. My coffee mug could probably get accepted. 

3 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

I'm fairly certain she said she had a $9000 student loan. Of which, she probably spent $2000 on her full-time, two-class schedule and the rest went into the great abyss where the $150,000 resides. 

I don't even think you have to be sentient to be a "student" there. My coffee mug could probably get accepted. 

Okay, @Giant Misfit, this post gave me a fit of giggles!  Thank you!!

• Love 2
17 hours ago, jilliannatalia said:

I sometimes think JJ is a bit hard on re-entry students (or older first-time students), as sometimes there's a legitimate need to change careers in mid-life, and additional education may be needed.  (Where I personally draw the line in being judgmental about people over thirty or people who already have families returning to institutes of higher education is when those older students do stupid things like join sororities.   

I have rolled my eyes at coworkers who went back to school in their 30's and 40's for degrees in some specialized field, and upon completing 4 years with degree in hand  and $30,000+ in student loans, they continue to work at their current middle level job. When I asked why, of 2 of them replied "The benefits here are too good" or "My kid goes to college next year, I don't want to risk changing jobs." WTH? Shouldn't you have thought of those things before you spent the money? 

• Love 8
On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 9:02 PM, DoctorK said:

I think you are expecting too much. Not everybody can think like Lorena Bobbit.

My life is really boring. "Me and my husband" have had "verbal words" - some of them heated - and I may have gotten "over-tempered" once or twice but never did I think about bleaching his clothes, attacking his car with an axe, stabbing him, clawing his face up or pulling a Lorena. OTOH, he's never impregnated another woman, knocked out my front teeth, spit in my face, "stold" all my money or thrown a lamp at my head, so maybe I'm just being judgemental towards our dear litigants.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

My life is really boring. "Me and my husband" have had "verbal words" - some of them heated - and I may have gotten "over-tempered" once or twice but never did I think about bleaching his clothes, attacking his car with an axe, stabbing him, clawing his face up or pulling a Lorena. OTOH, he's never impregnated another woman, knocked out my front teeth, spit in my face, "stold" all my money or thrown a lamp at my head, so maybe I'm just being judgemental towards our dear litigants.

You've probably never even gotten a loan that wasn't a loan either.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I daresay....

2014 repeat today with the teenage daughter who threw a TV remote at mom's boyfriend. He stole a necklace, mom wants his non-wedding band  wedding band (just to wear when they are together) back, and JJ says  no.  So in the hallterview, Mom states:  "That ring I've gotten out of the pawn shop quite a bit of times."  Wow.  Lots of sentiment attached to that thing, I guess. Of course, there was also the K-Mart necklace. (Not to disparage jewelry from K-mart!)  I really kind of liked the defendant in that case - guilty as charged, but at least honest about everything.

Edited by SandyToes
  • Love 6
On 12/6/2017 at 7:59 PM, NYGirl said:

So on Entertainment Tonight or whatever show is on CBS they had JJ along with the cute little dog she took away from the litigant a couple of weeks ago.  She said she got tons of mail asking what happened to the dog that her arm got tired from writing.  Turns out she gave the dog to one of her producers and his wife and they showed the couple along with the dog and Judge Judy.  It was nice to see.

That dog is too adorable! 

• Love 6

My mom went back to college when I started - she went part time, at the local branch of the state school so it was cheap, and only took a few years longer to graduate than I did :) She did stay in the same job because she had lots of seniority, but it was a government job and there's an entirely different pay scale if you have a degree, even if it's unrelated. 

• Love 6
On 11/12/2017 at 1:13 PM, GoodieGirl said:

I have rolled my eyes at coworkers who went back to school in their 30's and 40's for degrees in some specialized field, and upon completing 4 years with degree in hand  and $30,000+ in student loans, they continue to work at their current middle level job. When I asked why, of 2 of them replied "The benefits here are too good" or "My kid goes to college next year, I don't want to risk changing jobs." Shouldn't you have thought of those things before you spent the money? 

Some people get degrees because they like acquiring new knowledge or engaging in different intellectual pursuits, not necessarily because it will help them advance in their jobs. If they have the required disposable income, why not? Other people plunk down big hunks of change on monster trucks, travel or regular visits to the casinos. Might as well spend your money, if you can afford it, on things that you find enjoyable.

The argument that they like the reassurance of good benefits or job security in their present job is a good one I think since these are working conditions many workers would envy; good thing for an employer if it provides an environment that facilitates retaining such employees in a situation that gives them the means to pursue activities close to their heart. Learning does not always imply a utilitarian finality.

Edited by Florinaldo
  • Love 7

Some people get degrees because they like acquiring new knowledge or engaging in different intellectual pursuits, not necessarily because it will help them advance in their jobs.

I am retired and am thinking about picking up a MS in military history, something I have always had an interest in. It won't have any affect on job prospects, just something that could be entertaining and enjoyable. In the real world, i got a PhD in physics (with no student loans, lots of part time work writing code and living on Safeway house brand chili and rice). This worked for me, even though most of my career I did more engineering than physics. If you are pursuing a degree for a career, you have to be smart, a MFA in puppetry with 100,000 in student loans is a bad path. If you are pursuing a degree in something you love and understand the employment realities of that degree, go for it. Don't rack up hundreds of thousands dollars of student loans for a degreee that has no employment posibilities. I got my undergraduate degreee in the early seventies, and the bitching and moaning from other students who got degrees like BA in medieval lyric poetry that they were just as good people (maybe true) as those who got BS degrees in engineering but why did the engineering majors get jobs (and highly paid) and the lyric poetry experts had no jobs. You pays your money and you takes your choice, don't bitch when your choice turns out to be unfortunate. By the way, get off my lawn!

• Love 15

In my last job there were many who had a career in a different field than their field of study, so a degree maybe for different things to different people. Maybe they want to impress those who are impressed by degrees or felt a bit out of place at a job where most of the people coming in now have degrees.I fully intend to take advantage of my state university's policy that if you are over 65 and there is room you can take classes free. I'm only 15 credits short, and I will have accomplished a degree. For me it's now a personal accomplishment.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, DoctorK said:

You pays your money and you takes your choice, don't bitch when your choice turns out to be unfortunate.

Taking responsibility for the predictable consequences of your life choices, including going back to school part or full time, goes hand-in-hand with another factor I mentioned earlier i.e. having the financial means to support those choices. The defendant which launched this little discussion was lacking on both fronts and was one of those professional victims who blame other people (especially her sister) and society for the bad situation they themselves created.

Edited by Florinaldo
  • Love 8

I see your point Florinaldo, but in this case one person went back to school for an IT related job, she specifically said she was looking for a higher level job as she was tired of her admin assistant job, she completed her degree, shadowed in our IT department for 6 months and then went back to her admin job. I asked her why she didn't pursue a position in her degree and she replied that her son was going to start college and she was afraid that a new position with added responsibilities would mean she wouldn't be able to take time off when she wanted to visit him and watch him play soccer.  It's her money, my point was just that she took the time to go to back to school and acquired large loans but apparently hadn't thought it through or researched the responsibilities and demands of a higher paying job. Now you have more debt but the same paycheck. Just didn't make sense to me. 

• Love 2
On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 11:12 AM, Sarcastico said:

Wow, both plaintiff and defendant in the Mercedes-sale case were sporting pocket squares. Not sure if the plaintiff should have been using one because he wasn't wearing a suit/tie, but I do give him credit.

Kind of like having braces on false teeth.  Or wearing suspenders and a belt. 

I'm in a very philosophical mood tonight. 

Or wearing suspenders and a belt. 

There are circumstances where this is necessary, carrying equipment or other stuff on your belt. Sam Brown belts were invented for a reason.

Edited by DoctorK
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, DoctorK said:

There are circumstances where this is necessary, carrying equipment or other stuff on your belt. Sam Brown belts were invented for a reason.

Thank you DOCTORK.

I didn't know that.

I was so excited by the pocket squares that I forgot about the rims!  Rims!  So long since we've heard about them, and spinners, too.  Rims on a Mercedes!  Like suspenders and a belt, or a button-down collar with a DB suit.

And the return of Zippy! A memorable week in fashion.