Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: All Rise

Message added by Meredith Quill

Community Manager Note

Official notice that the topic of Sean DeMarco is off limits. If you have 1-on-1 thoughts to complete please take it to PM with each other.

If you have questions, contact the forum moderator @PrincessPurrsALot.  Do not discuss this limit to this discussion in here. Doing so will result in a warning. 

• Start Topic

Actually, Ms. Child-Support-Misappropriator, one does NOT have to continue to fund your adult child if said "child" decides to opt of school.  You MAY, of course, but you don't have to.  

You don't have to support your adult child in school at all (or didn't have to in Texas in the 80s) - although your own lawyer may think you're an ass for refusing to do so.

• Love 2

Okay an SR22 is a filing that is required by the state of California when someone has a very bad driving record- too many moving violations, DUI's, or accidents without insurance. The SR22 CAN NOT be purchased alone, in order to have it you must have an active insurance policy, the whole point is to keep track of people with shitty driving records and make sure they have liability insurance in the event that they cause an accident. The moment your insurance policy lapses and because you have an SR22 your insurance company contacts the DMV and your license is suspended. If the person causes an accident and says they have "SR22 insurance" that simply means they have a liability policy with an SR22 filing and in theory should have coverage to cover an accident, that's the whole point- the SR filing serves as proof that the person has at a minimum liability coverage to cover any damages they might cause and it is a way to track people with bad driving records, if you don't keep your policy active your license gets taken because your insurance company alerts the DMV to the fact that you are driving without insurance.

Well said.

First episode, third case -- Some a-hole teens put pumpkins in the road, and the plaintiff ended up having an accident. The defendant was yet another distracted teen whose attention JJ had to redirect. The plaintiff had no proof, so the case was dismissed. In the hallterview, the defendant's mother campaigned for her son's sainthood and gave herself several hearty boast-filled pats on the back.

Did I miss something, or did the plaintiff never explain why she didn't go after the two kids who *were* on the police report?

• Love 1

Thanks, stewedsquash, I moved out really quickly.  :)

JJ was really pissing me off with the yelling at the woman to get the hair out of her eyes.  For one thing, it was just silly, it was no big deal, and secondly, it was pretty obvious that she was covering up a bad eye.

• Love 9

Did I miss something, or did the plaintiff never explain why she didn't go after the two kids who *were* on the police report?

The other two had already paid their portion.  

I don't understand why the other two were texting the third boy and asking him to say he was part of the prank.

• Love 2

Yep, I agree there was probably a group poking fun at the yearbook pictures - that wouldn't surprise me at all. Don't know if they were purposely taunting the girl, or if they were just posting comments not thinking who might read them. I can understand the girl lashing back and calling Nicardo's mom fat - not exactly nice, but yeah I can see it happening. What I can't understand is Nicardo's over-the-top response. Instead what I would consider a normal teenager schoolyard fight where there's a lot of standing around throwing verbal barbs, he violently attacked. Thankfully there were others present, as I don't think he would have stopped otherwise. The truly troublesome aspect is mom's reaction. Instead of being shocked and horrified after watching the video, she immediately started defending him.

But here's the thing, Nicardo's mom wasn't even fat, so why his over the top response? I think he just wanted to fight someone he could beat: A Girl! What a little punk ass. You heard him say he wasn't sorry. Tsk, tsk, so sad.

• Love 6

JJ was really pissing me off with the yelling at the woman to get the hair out of her eyes.  For one thing, it was just silly, it was no big deal, and secondly, it was pretty obvious that she was covering up a bad eye.

The hair over the eye bugged me too.  You know how JJ always wants litigants to look at her.  She can tell by their eyes if they're lying, ya know.  ;-)

I'm oblivious -- didn't see anything wrong with her eye.  What drew my attention was the way she spoke.  Her front teeth may have been missing.

The preview I caught was for a repeat -- the one where a dead man's minister took his TV, and the dead man's son wanted it back. 

• Love 1

It actually happened??

*overturns chair in haste to get to to TV*

After JJ had made her decision she was trying to give some advice to the woman's witness (son, maybe? Couldn't hear, because the woman would. not. shut. up), so she said "cut her mic" and we had silence on that side for the first time since I'd tuned in (I missed the beginning). Case was from 2013, I think, but I can't find any clips.

• Love 1

First episode, first case -- Ms. Battle and Ms. Clark fought (with their cars?) over a guy in jail. Both women find it all very funny. JJ repeatedly asked the plaintiff to take the hair out of her eyes, but I think she may have had an artificial eye or something (the one that she kept covering). Ms. Clark has SARS (She Ain't Right Syndrome)...she was very hard to understand, her impulse control wasn't great, and how the hell is she allowed to operate a car with her eyes covered up with hair?? With the distractions of the teeth, speech, covered eyes, wonky stuff, and etc., I just couldn't get into this case.

First episode, second case -- Child support case. Mr. Johnson was suing his ex regarding support for his daughter Akilah that was paid when she was not attending college. Boooooring.

First episode, third case -- Some a-hole teens put pumpkins in the road, and the plaintiff ended up having an accident. The defendant was yet another distracted teen whose attention JJ had to redirect. The plaintiff had no proof, so the case was dismissed. In the hallterview, the defendant's mother campaigned for her son's sainthood and gave herself several hearty boast-filled pats on the back.

Second episode, first case -- Plaintiff Mr. Lights bit Ms. King's pitbull while trying to get him to stop fighting with his lab-pit mix. They had previously agreed that the dogs would not be let loose at the same time in their shared backyard. So much for that. Ms. King claimed that Mr. Lights harassed her, but I was getting a vibe that Ms. King probably starts shit when she wants to. JJ told Ms. King to pay the dental bills.

Second episode, second case -- Plaintiff Angela Jabor was suing defendant Chris for breaking a bed while too many kids were stuffed into a room drinking. Ms. Jaboor faked some pearl-clutching about the underage drinking. Ms. Jaboor was taught a lesson in common sense by JJ when she explained that Jaboor's 22-yr-old daughter should be paying to replace the broken bed because she was the one that bought all of the alcohol for the younger kids. But in the end, JJ told Chris to contribute. On another note, Chris is obviously too young to know about the Coneheads, but someone should tell him.

Second episode, third case -- I kept trying to see if plaintiff Gena Hollister had a plastic jewel on her belly, because she really looked like a troll doll. Anyway, this was an unpaid rent case. Jerome Hollingsworth presented his info in a straightforward way and seemed like a normal guy.

I don't know if I'll watch tomorrow --- the preview was for a case about a dirtbag pitbull miller.  Dirtbags, pitbulls, puppy mills...too many things to piss me off.

Shit, CoolWhip, this is a five gavel recap! I would add that on top of the other mannerisms you named, Ms Clark was driving me BSC "batshit crazy" with her open mouth the entire freaking time. I was hoping JJ would scream close your mouth as she has before. That incarcerated Romeo must something in the sack for these two to fight over. Of course Ms Battle had three kids by him and was meeting him for only $75. Probably to pay for her weave. She needs to get that chocolate chip on her nose removed...carcinoma anyone?

I can assure you that biting a pit bull attacking my dog would never occur to me, and I am BSC about my little furry darling. I don't share a back yard with anyone but we do walk on our trails twice a day and in addition to pepper spray, I carry a stick with which to dig attacking dogs' eyeballs out after I've sprayed them. I have had to spray once but never had to use the stick. But I was happy with the ruling in the plaintiff's favor. Defendant was definitely a shit starter.

And Mr. Hollingsworth propositioned The Troll Doll after she and her daughter moved in? Ha! Yes, CPS need to investigate that lying Troll liar. Heaven help that unfortunate daughter.

• Love 5

The plaintiff claimed to be 44 years old. That must be dog years. Or, based on the condition of her mouth, meth years.

Damn she was rough looking. I've watched too many episodes of Intervention I guess. And I was trying to look at her daughter to figure out how old she was. 

Y'all, how BAD ASS do you have to be to break up a pit bull fight by biting one of them on the NOSE mid fight? 

• Love 7

JJ is back to not giving me life.

First episode, first case -- Ms. Battle and Ms. Clark fought (with their cars?) over a guy in jail. Both women find it all very funny. JJ repeatedly asked the plaintiff to take the hair out of her eyes, but I think she may have had an artificial eye or something (the one that she kept covering). Ms. Clark has SARS (She Ain't Right Syndrome)...she was very hard to understand, her impulse control wasn't great, and how the hell is she allowed to operate a car with her eyes covered up with hair?? With the distractions of the teeth, speech, covered eyes, wonky stuff, and etc., I just couldn't get into this case.

Yeah, something in the eye juice ain't clean. I kinda felt bad for her because her hair was styled like that. I was kinda hoping JJ would let it go because it got a little uncomfortable. At the same time, might not wanna go to court with the Jessica Rabbit with a chick like JJ. Things she doesn't understand annoy her.

First episode, second case -- Child support case. Mr. Johnson was suing his ex regarding support for his daughter Akilah that was paid when she was not attending college. Boooooring.

I think Mom had something to do with her daughter not doing shit. She dropped out of school (I'm guessing junior college), now she's back "part-time" (taking all of one class), and Mom thinks she's entitled for him to continue paying her child support? I don't get women like that. The father should absolutely have to pay to take care of their kid, but...some women seem to think they owed something because they had a kid. It's called "child support", not "baby mama support". Neither parent should have to do it all if the other parent is around, but you aren't entitled to sit on your ass collecting a check just on GP, either. I believe Mom just wanted that $400/month to help Lil Lace Front keep her hair tight. Now next time you see her ass it's going to be Quick Weave city.

I think the Plaintiff probably can't drive. How the hell do you run over more than one pumpkin? Like, some pumpkins are the size of babies. And, that would seem like an expensive ass prank. "Hey y'all, let's go put pumpkins in the street!" I don't know how much pumpkins cost, but they cost. And unless there's a pumpkin patch (is that what they're called...I don't know, shit) around, how many pumpkins where in the street? This sounds like a bad math word problem. But I think there was something going on. I think Plaintiff might've just run over an old pumpkin and felt a way about it. Didn't she say, "I couldn't move out the way because there was a truck coming"? Uh, so? Stop until you can drive around the pumpkin. All this talk of pumpkin is making me think of Memoirs of a Geisha.

Second episode, first case -- Plaintiff Mr. Lights bit Ms. King's pitbull while trying to get him to stop fighting with his lab-pit mix. They had previously agreed that the dogs would not be let loose at the same time in their shared backyard. So much for that. Ms. King claimed that Mr. Lights harassed her, but I was getting a vibe that Ms. King probably starts shit when she wants to. JJ told Ms. King to pay the dental bills.

His last name is Lights. Heh. And he bit a dog to make it stop biting his dog? Some things confuse me. Other things confuse me greatly. And once again: it's not harassment if you owe the person money. And people get on my nerves wanting to have aggressive breeds of dog and then let them roam free like suburban children in the 60s. People need to realize: bad ass kids and bad ass dogs are the result of neglectful ass parents/owners. It seems like people forgo having kids for having dogs, but then their dogs bite other dogs and people and whatnot.

Second episode, second case -- Plaintiff Angela Jabor was suing defendant Chris for breaking a bed while too many kids were stuffed into a room drinking. Ms. Jaboor faked some pearl-clutching about the underage drinking. Ms. Jaboor was taught a lesson in common sense by JJ when she explained that Jaboor's 22-yr-old daughter should be paying to replace the broken bed because she was the one that bought all of the alcohol for the younger kids. But in the end, JJ told Chris to contribute. On another note, Chris is obviously too young to know about the Coneheads, but someone should tell him.

The bed cost $398? It was on borrowed time. That sounds like a damn Malibu Barbie bed. If Mom wants her son to stop doing shit, start by telling him to take those palm trees out of his head. And CoolW[h]ipLite, you're right about Conehead Chris. He seemed like a nice young man, but stop doing things to make yourself look weird. "Stop Doing Things To Make Yourself Look Weird" needs to be on a fucking t-shirt hat bumper sticker logo neck tat.

Second episode, third case -- I kept trying to see if plaintiff Gena Hollister had a plastic jewel on her belly, because she really looked like a troll doll. Anyway, this was an unpaid rent case. Jerome Hollingsworth presented his info in a straightforward way and seemed like a normal guy.

Yeah, and I get meth vibes, or vapors, from her. I believe she smoked most of her teeth away. Evicted twice in a year. Damn. And she was all "bye Judge Judy, it was nice meeting you!" and then she was about to cry in the hallway recounting what Mr. Hollingsworth, who seemed like a cranky but decent man, did to her.

• Love 3

The hair over the eye bugged me too.  You know how JJ always wants litigants to look at her.  She can tell by their eyes if they're lying, ya know.  ;-)

Are Byrd and I the only ones who remember Veronica Lake??? Damn!

• Love 10

I kept thinking the Ver-NON-ica Flake woman must have had a stroke.  Her left eye was wonky and her left cheek looked droopy.  It was obvious she styled her hair that way to hide the issues, and I think JJ was a little mean about it.  Once the bangs were swept aside the first time, JJ should have seen the problem and let it go.  I know most of these litigants bring any shame and embarrassment on themselves by showing up in their bedazzled acid washed denim camisoles, rainbow hued extensions from Joseph's Weave of Many Colors Shoppe and titty tats, but JJ shouldn't attack physical deformities.

• Love 6
(edited)

Y'all, how BAD ASS do you have to be to break up a pit bull fight by biting one of them on the NOSE mid fight? 

Take home message there was "don't ever mess with that man!".  My hearing is probably going but did he say his tooth  broke off and was still stuck in the dog? krazy!

Side-swept away.....There was a girl in my high school who had that side bang 'do. She could see clearly out of that hair covered bang. In fact, people thought she couldn't see out of it, until she smacked the crap out of a guy who reached into her book-bag because he thought she couldn't see what he was doing.

Edited by Milz
  • Love 3

Yeah, there was something up with the side of her face....like BusyOctober mentioned, it may have been a stroke. Or maybe an accident that required surgery. I think JJ's insistence on "take the hair out of your eyes" was akin to "take your sunglasses off," but it got a bit cringe.

• Love 5

Of course Ms Battle had three kids by him and was meeting him for only $75.

I'm trying to imagine my man/baby daddy/husband taking so many trips to the slammer that I no longer even bother to find out the nature of his latest federal offense. I think I'd have another baby. That's probably the best thing to do.

If I were Veronica Lake, the last thing I'd be all self-conscious about is an eye that doesn't quite match the other one.

Ms.Hollister- 44?? My mouth actually dropped open when I heard that.  I guess when you're a toothless, transient, substance abuser (booze, pills?) it does play havoc with any blush of youth. The fact that she has a child living with her was very distressing.  As for the defendant - taking strangers into his home is his perogative, but how anyone can bring anonymous people to live in their homes when they have children I will never understand. What a risk for a few dollars that they may never get anyway.

• Love 4
(edited)
On another note, Chris is obviously too young to know about the Coneheads, but someone should tell him.

I know!! When the case started out, I'm all like, "Ha ha this guy is standing so his head is exactly under the graphic of the courthouse.  It makes him look like he has a pointy head!  Ha Ha that is soooo funny!"  Then 2 scenes later they shoot him from a different angle and it's like "Shit!  The dude actually has his hair shaved into a point!  And why??"

But all the hair was wonky in this case.  Mom's was ok, but the brother and sister, combined with the Defendant, looked like a  3 man rap group from the early 90s. Now if we could get Byrd to style like Kid n Play.... 

believe Mom just wanted that $400/month to help Lil Lace Front keep her hair tight. Now next time you see her ass it's going to be Quick Weave city.

I love this thread.  It's the best set of fuckerbitches on the interwebs.

I wonder how JJ would have felt if she had NO EYE?

Pfffft.  She would've just barked, "And whose gonna pay for that eye, Byrd?"

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 7

I'm trying to imagine my man/baby daddy/husband taking so many trips to the slammer that I no longer even bother to find out the nature of his latest federal offense. I think I'd have another baby. That's probably the best thing to do.

If I were Veronica Lake, the last thing I'd be all self-conscious about is an eye that doesn't quite match the other one.

Ms.Hollister- 44?? My mouth actually dropped open when I heard that.  I guess when you're a toothless, transient, substance abuser (booze, pills?) it does play havoc with any blush of youth. The fact that she has a child living with her was very distressing.  As for the defendant - taking strangers into his home is his perogative, but how anyone can bring anonymous people to live in their homes when they have children I will never understand. What a risk for a few dollars that they may never get anyway.

If the rented space is completely separate from the family's living area (ex. an apartment over a garage like Fonzie in Happy Days or Uncle Martin and Tim in My Favorite Martian), it would be okay to rent to a perfect stranger. But renting a spare bedroom which is in the same hallway as your and your child's bedroom to a stranger? No way. (That's why Petticoat Junction wigged me out)

• Love 6

No way in h-e-double hockey sticks is that old-ass woman 44.

I know black doesn't crack, but I'm turning 44 this year and look a quarter of her age. My mom is 73 and looks half her age!

I think she's lying. Some women do that. My brother's wife, who I don't like because he works two jobs so she can sit on her enormous ass all day, has been lying about her age for years. When he first met her, he was 30. She was claiming to be 35, but we all told him to check her license. I thought she was at least 50 back then. Now she looks like our former governor, Jan Brewer: the crypt keeper.

ETA: That was uncharacteristically nasty of me. I think JJ picking on the litigant with the bad eye put me in a foul mood.

• Love 9

but I'm turning 44 this year and look a quarter of her age.

I think if you'd ingested the quantiites of whatever Ms. Hollister has been groovin' on, you might look 65 too. Her gesturing, the dramatics, facial expressions, the body bouncing thing - I think she was either high here, or desperately in need of a fix.

• Love 5

I know!  Veronica Lake!  She had some seriously gorgeous hair.

I wonder how JJ would have felt if she had NO EYE?

Well it works for Fetty Wap (for all you OLD people, that's the rapper that lost an eye to glaucoma and just walks around with, well, no eye in the socket) 

And if you're all worried about showing your wonk eye or your weird facial droop or your missing toofies, why would you go on national television?  Because it worked with Paris Hilton all those years ago? Oh I know - it's to show your Veronica Lake hairdid from Quick Weave City. (thanks 27bored!!)

• Love 4

Looks like AngelaHunter has some competition in the "mean" genes!  Yowza, y'all are in fine form!  Cracking me up - DON'T change a thing!!

Catching the reruns now.  Ed Grimley is on!  Y'all know I do love the hair and fashion on this show. I was ready to skip this one (boy friend suing ex boyfriend for a bunch of stuff worth nothing) but the hairdo drew me in.

Uncle Martin and Tim in My Favorite Martian

And Milz, thanks for the trip in the wayback machine!  Glad to know there's someone else who remembers the same really neato stuff I do.    :-)

• Love 4

And if you're all worried about showing your wonk eye or your weird facial droop or your missing toofies, why would you go on national television?  Because it worked with Paris Hilton all those years ago? Oh I know - it's to show your Veronica Lake hairdid from Quick Weave City. (thanks 27bored!!)

Or Katie Holmes who spent most of Dawson's Creek talking out one side of her mouth.

And Milz, thanks for the trip in the wayback machine!  Glad to know there's someone else who remembers the same really neato stuff I do.    :-)

I give props to MeTv, Cozi TV, Antenna TV, and Retro TV.

And the Conehead 'do looks like the hate child of the Fade and Pompadour.

Okay, no one has answered.....Did Mr. Lights say that his tooth broke off  when he bit the dog and it's still stuck in the dog?

• Love 2
(edited)

I don't recall.  I think my brain shut down at "I grabbed the pit bull and bit him on the nose."  Just couldn't get beyond that. If the tooth WAS still stuck in the dog, I'd put money on this guy being able to retrieve it.  Dayum!

Ooohhh - "Anthony Ringering?" Seriously? Cool name! 

Edited by SandyToes
  • Love 3

:((( Damn it.

Luckily for me, I have about 15 new episodes sitting on my DVR I just haven't gotten to watch yet, thanks to my insane schedule. I may have to unplug everything else this weekend and do a JJ binge, which will obviously need to be followed by a JJ cleanse.

In case you're wondering, a JJ cleanse involves copious amounts of alcohol to help me forget the trainwrecks we see on the show.

• Love 10

I still think that the eye looked wonky because the lashes were getting caught in the bangs when she was trying to move them.

That's what I thought. We've seen others here with giant fake lashes like rampant tarantulas and the wearers barely able to keep their eyes open.

Luckily for me, I have about 15 new episodes sitting on my DVR I just haven't gotten to watch yet

Lucky you, indeed. But please, for your sake, do NOT play any drinking games if you're binge watching.

• Love 3
(edited)

Ms. Hollister or Lisa Lampanelli's mom fallen on hard times?

She had a tiny head in comparison to her body...and she wasn't that big. From coneheads to tiny heads, they come out of the woodwork for JJ.

Another plaintiff, Clarissa Garrett needs to lay off the heavy makeup...she kinda looks trans.

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 1

First case -- Defendant Lori Perri and her boyfriend moved into her stepsister's rental home and did a lot of painting and rehab. She said that the plaintiff Michelle Bartlett told her to pay the utilities only -- no rent. Michelle said that Lori and her "disabled" boyfriend, both unemployed, didn't give her enough money. She's $6500 short, said JJ. Lori's a deadbeat, but I think Michelle might like to play the victim in life.

Second case -- The defendant Mr. Hammond's wife passed away and he went to court to fight for custody of her children (who were being left to their grandparents....I think I missed the details of why that was happening). Plaintiff Mr. Grace (brother-in-law) gave over $6000 to Mr. Hammond to help him retain an attorney. Mr. Grace made sure to tick all of the "saintly" boxes in his testimony: he mentioned an old lady having a daycare, someone being a foster parent, him being a carer for an elderly mother-in-law and father-in-law, him buying a big van to take people to church, him working past retirement to give his daughters a good life....all JJ wanted to know is if there was a profit made by the sale of the MIL's house. I think they went on the show because they figured they'd get some of their money back because Mr. Hammond's salary (20-year employee of the state's water company) wasn't going to make it happen. (There was talk of him getting a second job....but he looks like he's an older man, he has a FT job, and he has frequent visitation (maybe daily, with the kids sleeping at the grands'?) with his children.

Monday's episode looks good --- a crazy cat lady lives like a slob.

• Love 2

First case -- Defendant Lori Perri and her boyfriend moved into her stepsister's rental home and did a lot of painting and rehab. She said that the plaintiff Michelle Bartlett told her to pay the utilities only -- no rent. Michelle said that Lori and her "disabled" boyfriend, both unemployed, didn't give her enough money. She's $6500 short, said JJ. Lori's a deadbeat, but I think Michelle might like to play the victim in life.

I didn't get a deadbeat vibe from Lori, and I didn't think it was fair of Michelle to charge more for rent because of the boyfriend.  Utilities yes, extra rent no. 

What was the deal with the parent/grandparents in that case?  Were the grandparents living in the house too?  Was Lori helping to take care of the grandparents at another location?  Because otherwise, there was no reason to talk about them.

I didn't like Michelle at all.

• Love 1

As soon as I heard Michelle speak I thought she had to be Canadian. Funny how I can recognize the accent on TV, but never hear my own. I coudln't really figure out what the house situation was all about, but I was pleased that at least both litigants spoke proper English - not a single "we was", "had went", "baffroom" or "tooken".

• Love 4

I didn't think she was as much of a deadbeat as some others we've seen (and maybe not necessarily a SQUATTAH), but at the same time, I kind of agree with JJ that the deal must have been more along the lines of what the plaintiff said, as I don't think she would have agreed to an arrangement that had her losing money. I think she said she even had to dip into her savings to compensate for what the stepsister was supposed to pay her and didn't.

I'm dying to know what was going on in the custody case where the defendant, the actual parent of the children in question, paid tens of thousands of dollars to an attorney and still LOST to the grandparents. If I recall correctly, grandparents' rights vary by state. Without going into too much detail, one of my friends was worried about her child's paternal grandparents (their son/child's father is deceased), and just for peace of mind, did a little research and found out that at least in our state, the grandparents would have to jump through a ton of hoops and have her declared legally incompetent to ever have a shot at getting custody. It's possible that the defendant had some sordid past that didn't come up in the case. Or maybe it's just something as innocent as the grandparents took the kids in (for whatever reason) after the mother died and then argued that they were established in that location, going to school and everything, and shouldn't be uprooted. Who knows.

• Love 3

I didn't get a deadbeat vibe from Lori, and I didn't think it was fair of Michelle to charge more for rent because of the boyfriend.  Utilities yes, extra rent no. 

This is a perfect example of why you need something in writing even (especially) with family. I didn't get the feeling either side set out to cheat the other. I believe the plaintiff about the rent. My take was that plaintiff was willing to accept lower rent from step sister, but not with bf living there. Nothing about the plaintiff suggested to me that she was the type to let them live rent free while she was making monthly mortgage payments out of her savings. So I don't believe the defendant's position that she was not supposed to pay rent.

I have a feeling bf was bone of contention between the two. Something happened to cause them to stop talking - plaintiff didn't know defendant had lost job. Defendant was paying utilities through stepmother instead of directly to stepsis - so like I said, sounds like they weren't talking. Had it been me, I would have cut the rent to cover the mortgage when I found out my stepsister lost her job - but that's just me. I think their agreement was the $800+ plaintiff claimed - still less than what she is charging current tenants.

What was the deal with the parent/grandparents in that case?  Were the grandparents living in the house too?  Was Lori helping to take care of the grandparents at another location?  Because otherwise, there was no reason to talk about them.

Ah, the convoluted modern family. My understanding was that part of the reason defendant wanted house was that it was closer to parents' home. Defendant's mom is plaintiff's stepmom. So mother of defendant's mom, who lives with the stepsisters' parents, is actually not blood related to plaintiff. So, back to the house, by living there defendant would be close enough to drop by and help with the care of her biological grandmother.
  • Love 1

I'm dying to know what was going on in the custody case where the defendant, the actual parent of the children in question, paid tens of thousands of dollars to an attorney and still LOST to the grandparents.

Yeah, there must be something big we weren't told about.

• Love 1

paid tens of thousands of dollars to an attorney and still LOST to the grandparents.

I just watched this. From everything I've heard, grandparents usually have no rights at all. I'm not understanding how a father - first of all - has to battle grandparents for custody of his kids and how he can lose after pouring 50K into the case. Either he's an axe murderer or maybe he's not the biological father? He gets the kids every other weekend, so it can't be that he's abusive. Yeah, I'd love to know what was going on there.  Anyway, it's pretty shitty that he didn't even try to pay his sister and brother-in-law back.

• Love 3

This might be better suited for Small Talk, but here goes.  Re Michelle:  I don't think I'd buy a rental property if I had to depend on tenants in order to make my mortgage payments.  There's absolutely no guarantee that you'll have tenants, that the tenants will pay, and that there won't be damage. 

No one I know who has rental property (admittedly not many) has to worry about renting the place.  The second house was an inheritance, or something they saved for, maybe using equity in their first house. 

It just seems so risky. 

• Love 5

There's absolutely no guarantee that you'll have tenants, that the tenants will pay, and that there won't be damage.

Oh, you'd probably get tenants. The big question is if they'll pay. If they don't, which seems likely, you have to go through hell to get them out, lose rent for months and spend a ton more money on all the vindictive damage done by the squattahs. I would never ever rent my house out to strangers, or let strangers move in with me. If I couldn't afford my place, I'd sell it and buy a smaller house or even a mobile home. Anything is preferable than a midnight police raid because your tenant is a drug dealer, or criminal with a leg bracelet or a prostitute.

• Love 8