Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: All Rise

Message added by Meredith Quill

Community Manager Note

Official notice that the topic of Sean DeMarco is off limits. If you have 1-on-1 thoughts to complete please take it to PM with each other.

If you have questions, contact the forum moderator @PrincessPurrsALot.  Do not discuss this limit to this discussion in here. Doing so will result in a warning. 

• Start Topic

(edited)

And Catboy said he had an automatic feeder and automatic waterer.  So what if the feeder gets clogged and stops working.  What if there is a power outage?  What if the cat freaks out and dumps over the water tank on day one?

I’ve left a cat alone for an overnight... (maybe two - can’t quite remember) with food and water everywhere and all doors open.  A week??  I can’t even imagine.

idiot.

Edited by ButYourHonor
  • Love 7

I once left my cat alone for over a week. It wasn't my plan - the catsitter locked the key inside the house on about day 3 of my 10 day trip.  I couldn't be reached, and she exhausted the search for a hidden spare key. There wasn't one.

Kitty had an electric water dispenser, that was out of water and about to burn out the motor when I returned.   He managed to knock over the big bag of food to gain access, plus he had 15 pounds of fat stores.  But he was pissed when I got home.   So was the litterbox. 

• Love 11

In the security deposit case, I think that that plaintiff came across as either directly responsible or fully cognizant of how the place got trashed (and may very probably have been complicit). She had an I-don't-care attitude that spoke volume. However, the poor defendant had two strikes against her. First she did not have a detailed bill; one thing I always insist upon when a contractor must perform multiple taks, at home or for our company, is to have the bill or contract itemized. That way if only one element goes awry, you know precisely the amount which is in dispute. But the biggest blow to her case was that JJ took a instant dislike to her position and kept berating and interrupting her; obviously, the esteemed judge once again missed her scheduled morning bowel movement.

The plaintiff joined a long list of people who use the word "slumlord" in the hallterview without having any realistic notion of what a slum looks like or how a slumlord truly operates.

Speaking of terminological abuse, "bullying" is indeed a term that is regularly used with no relation to its real meaning. Same with "harassment". Many of the people who use these have obviously never dealt with real cases of bullying or harrassment in the workplace or everyday life, or else they are such very delicate flowers that they believe being reminded you owe money constitutes harassment or an assault on their person.

The owner fo the chicken strangling pittbull  was one of those dog people who considers that any admission of wrongdoing by their animal is a stain on their own honor and integrity. His accusation of collusion between the plaintiff and his witness was funny considering his own witness was his wife; but I think he was completely incapable of grasping the irony.

• Love 7
(edited)
On 5/14/2018 at 3:30 PM, SandyToes said:

Then the chicken case:  Doncha' know that if Judy could have awarded the plaintiff $10,000 per chicken she would have. What an awful defendant.  And an awful liar. 

Wasn't paying that close attention.... was the typed statement JJ displayed a couple times the actual Animal Control Officer's report or just P's statement  (which would make what she was holding self serving and hearsay). Doesn't matter all that much, except to reinforce the notion that D's lies weren't making much sense. 

Also, thought JJ was pretty insulting when she was saying P witness wasn't capable of making up his story - hey, could have just said she totally believed the guy without intimidating he wasn't bright enough to make it up.

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, SRTouch said:

Also, thought JJ was pretty insulting when she was saying P witness wasn't capable of making up his story - hey, could have just said she totally believed the guy without intimidating he wasn't bright enough to make it up.

I didn't take it to mean he was dumb. His demeanor was straight forward and guileless, the details all made sense (and later confirmed by the defendant). I agree that he didn't seem able to fake it or make it up. He was screaming "honest guy" to me.

• Love 5

Mace and Maple Syrup - What a ride! New York's hottest club has everything.

• Captain Uncle Fester Save-a-Ho-With-Child
  • Disrobing mid-case to show off bare shoulders
  • Slack-jawed waif who had the expression of someone watching a snuff movie scene in the middle of Finding Nemo
  • Tears and tissues
  • A mile-high file at CPS
  • A child born addicted to oxys and whatever else
  • Uncross your arms  x3
  • A disputed pitbull named Molly that a whole village depends on for emotional stability
  • "YOU ARE ALL NUTS"
  • Flying water bowls, maple syrup floor lubrication and a mist of mace
  • Judge Judy angrily adjudicating in favor of the plaintiff like it's a punishment (and it is!)

FIVE DOSES OF METHADONE! I hope they come back with a follow up lawsuit when he sues her for smashing his house windows and that Judge Judy remembers the defendant's smug, self-satisfied expression when she fleetingly thought she was going to win the dog just because she's bonkers and a danger to society.

• Love 21

It was pretty heartbreaking to watch Ms Rebhahn deteriorate visibly on-screen.  She needs intervention STAT in re: her mental illness and/or her drug addiction.  Very sad.

2 minutes ago, Toaster Strudel said:

FIVE DOSES OF METHADONE! I hope they come back with a follow up lawsuit when he sues her for smashing his house windows and that Judge Judy remembers the defendant's smug, self-satisfied expression when she fleetingly thought she was going to win the dog just because she's bonkers and a danger to society.

I don't remember this part!  Did she take five doses all at once?

You are such a master at recaps, I thank you and am happy you are back!

• Love 6

I'll Take The Birkenstocks - Hard pass on the obsolete camera from the uncle. The new Samsung Galaxy takes better pictures than my clunky Canon D-SLR with the different lenses. The mention of jewelry and cuff links being an appropriate high value gift to counter that of a used camera was a classic Judge-Judy-ism. Cuff links are so seventy years ago. It did not escape my notice that the plaintiff (objection!) didn't want to bother dragging that crappy camera on her trip to Southeast Asia. If she's going to Hawaii and SEA in a short period of time, her family is probably well off and can easily absorb the loss of their least-favorite camera. It was a gift. A pair of sandals for $100 isn't bad. 2.5 GAVELS.

Benjamin Is A Dummy - Even JJ got caught judging that book by its cover. Benjamin was good looking, soft-spoken, cleanly dressed, but turned out to be just another vacuous man-Barbie with sloth-like habits. The funniest part was the hallterview, with his mom earnestly defending that she didn't owe the chemistry tutor a dime since he flunked. Sure, mom, the audience is really going to be on your side with this theory. Like mother, like son. 2.5 GAVELS.

• Love 15
10 minutes ago, Toaster Strudel said:

I'll Take The Birkenstocks - Hard pass on the obsolete camera from the uncle. The new Samsung Galaxy takes better pictures than my clunky Canon D-SLR with the different lenses. The mention of jewelry and cuff links being an appropriate high value gift to counter that of a used camera was a classic Judge-Judy-ism. Cuff links are so seventy years ago. It did not escape my notice that the plaintiff (objection!) didn't want to bother dragging that crappy camera on her trip to Southeast Asia. If she's going to Hawaii and SEA in a short period of time, her family is probably well off and can easily absorb the loss of their least-favorite camera. It was a gift. A pair of sandals for $100 isn't bad. 2.5 GAVELS.

Benjamin Is A Dummy - Even JJ got caught judging that book by its cover. Benjamin was good looking, soft-spoken, cleanly dressed, but turned out to be just another vacuous man-Barbie with sloth-like habits. The funniest part was the hallterview, with his mom earnestly defending that she didn't owe the chemistry tutor a dime since he flunked. Sure, mom, the audience is really going to be on your side with this theory. Like mother, like son. 2.5 GAVELS.

And the return of the gavels thank you thank you!!

• Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, Toaster Strudel said:

she's bonkers and a danger to society

As JJ said, she displayed a complete inability to care for her kids (the courts awarded her custody, really!?!) and, I would add, for a dog or simply herself.

2 hours ago, Toaster Strudel said:

his mom earnestly defending that she didn't owe the chemistry tutor a dime since he flunked.

She was so ridiculous in assigning no fault to her precious son for failing his own exams. There is only so much a tutor can do if the kid does not put in the effort. He himself admitted to not doing so. The tutor had a duty of performance, which she fully discharged, but not a duty of results, which fell solely on the son.

The kid said he is good in "engineering", which I found strange for someone having trouble with chemistry and, as was implied, algebra. Although I can only wonder what level of engineering is covered at a high school level; perhaps he was referring to workshop or car mechanics.

JJ's little speech about failing chemistry and algebra flirted closely with the frequent dismissive discourse from liberal arts people that science is silly useless stuff in the context of real life. She was right that some people are not wired for some subjects, but her pooh-poohing of fields foreign to her own seemed rather simplistic.

Edited by Florinaldo
  • Love 7
(edited)

I fervently hope that JJ sent a tape of Methodone Mama to CPS in Spokane. That chick has no freaking business raising a 4 yr old. 

And 20 gavels and 7 Hallelujahs that @Toaster Strudel's reviews are back! Adjourned!

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 9
(edited)
1 hour ago, Toaster Strudel said:

• Slack-jawed waif who had the expression of someone watching a snuff movie scene in the middle of Finding Nemo
  • Tears and tissues
  • Uncross your arms  x3
  • A disputed pitbull named Molly that a whole village depends on for emotional stability
  • "YOU ARE ALL NUTS"
  • Judge Judy angrily adjudicating in favor of the plaintiff like it's a punishment (and it is!)

I love me some @Toaster Strudel recaps!  And you hit this one on the nail x 1000.  Ya' know, in these types of "CPS/custody" cases, we always hope the other parent is watching and takes a tape in to secure custody. But in this case, if the courts have already given this wacko back her kids (is that right? so confusing?!), what the heck kind of loser sperm donor makes her the better parent?  Gad!  Poor, poor children.

Captain Uncle Fester Save-a-Ho-With-Child

And a repeat "offender" at that!   That was all kinds of bonkers in a case FULL of it.

1 hour ago, Toaster Strudel said:

I couldn't give that one mere gavels, I rated it in doses of methadone.

And I'm not sure 5 doses is enough.

Edited by SandyToes
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Florinaldo said:

She was so ridiculous in assigning no fault to her precious son for failing his own exams.

She was even more ridiculous comparing this case to having someone cut your lawn and you expect results. The person who cuts the lawn doesn't need to depend on another person's behavior for success, you smother-mother-goddam-idiot. It's more like the plaintiff said, in that if a gym trainer gives you a routine you don't follow and get no results you can't blame the trainer. It's not plaintiff's fault that Benjamin is a lazy, spoiled brat who could have been tutored by Albert Einstein and would still flunk because he's a product of the times - a lazy, overly-indulged baby. He studies "when he can". I guess he means when he's not fully occupied with the Fortune 500 company he runs. Or maybe when he's not engaged in FB nonsense or video games. Yeah, mom - keep indulging babyboy and instilling it in him that his failures are someone else's fault. Whatever.

Camera nitwits were annoying and totally boring. That girl was like a harridan-in-training. BUT, unlike her Pappy who was dragged in here probably not knowing what the hell it was all about, she could speak proper English. Hooray for someone learning something at school (even though I found her unbearable)!

• Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

he's a product of the times - a lazy, overly-indulged baby. He studies "when he can". I guess he means when he's not fully occupied with the Fortune 500 company he runs

Unless I misheard it, when he was asked how he does in his studies, he said he did pretty well, and a minute or so later said that he gets Cees. Agree with poster above, if he can't handle algebra and chemistry, how in the hell can he be doing well in engineering? Admittedly there are a lot of areas in engineering where chemistry is not needed, but I don't know any area of engineering that doesn't need algebra, except maybe software.

Edited by DoctorK
grammar
  • Love 6

Thanks to my years of watching, somehow I knew -- just KNEW -- that as soon as I heard JJ ask Ms. I'm Addicted to Everything about dog breeds, there was going to be a pitbull involved. I must have a crystal ball.

Camera daughter was an insufferably smug little twat. I'd like to think that when she watches her episode, she will realize this, but it's far more likely that she'll just fall in love with herself even more.

The thought did cross my mind that perhaps that kid was intentionally bombing chemistry in the hopes of getting more sessions with the pretty young tutor, but after he opened his mouth and spoke a bit, I don't think that was the case. Also, the mother was wrong in her hallterview comparison with the poorly-mowed lawn - hasn't she ever watched JJ before?!? If you hire someone to do something for you and they do a shit job, you pay them what the contract says you owe and never use them again. Or, SHE ATE THE STEAK!!!

• Love 16
1 hour ago, Intocats said:

26E78723-240E-4DA3-A633-B5DF2576686B.jpeg

I certainly know where to come when I need a little pick-me-up laughter.

configdotsys - Just saw your post. That stinks and is beyond unfair. I don't know what else to say, except to wish you the very best, FWIW.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, augmentedfourth said:

The thought did cross my mind that perhaps that kid was intentionally bombing chemistry in the hopes of getting more sessions with the pretty young tutor, but after he opened his mouth and spoke a bit, I don't think that was the case. Also, the mother was wrong in her hallterview comparison with the poorly-mowed lawn - hasn't she ever watched JJ before?!? If you hire someone to do something for you and they do a shit job, you pay them what the contract says you owe and never use them again. Or, SHE ATE THE STEAK!!!

Clearly Benjamin inherited his mother’s intellect.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Toaster Strudel said:

• Tears and tissues
  • A child born addicted to oxys and whatever else
  • Uncross your arms  x3
  • "YOU ARE ALL NUTS"

That may be the single funniest thing I have ever read!!

Kudos to you. 

??????

• Love 6

While I fully agree with JJ’s assessment of “YOU’RE ALL NUTS!” and also with the five gavel review (teehee), I can’t help but wonder about JJ’s judgment.

Firstly, as amusing as it always is to wallow in the idiocy of the litigants, I have to agree with the defendant that all the business about her daughter had zero to do with the case.  I’ve thought before that JJ delved into issues that were vaguely related at best, but I’m nosy myself, so I never cared.  This felt more like inciting the train-wreck rather than merely watching it.

Secondly, while I ABSOLUTELY do not think the woman should have a PITBULL who has already attacked a small dog around TWO LITTLE KIDS, the decision certainly flew in the face of other similar cases.  I have seen JJ award pets to people on the basis of how long they’ve had the animal numerous times.  This lady raised the dog from a puppy and it’s 14yrs old.  Mr. Nutcase Adopt-a-waif had the dog for maybe 5mo exclusively - and even in that time the lady’s son might very well have been living there as well!

The whole case was as sad and disturbing as it was funny.  All I can think of now is the messed-up kids.

• Love 2

Cuff links are so seventy years ago.

Not in my house!!! I have 42 pairs.  Including a pair given to my grandmother's Uncle Ed by Charles Lindbergh. Uncle Ed was a NYC cop and he moonlighted as a bodyguard for Lindbergh. He was also a driver for Mayor Fiorello La Guardia.  And he embezzled a half-million dollars out of the NYC PBA.  Oh, those were the days!

I love the return of the gavels, but what's the maximum?  Five?

• Love 12

@BADHAGGIS and @CONFIGDOTSYS - prayers and warm fuzzy thoughts for both of y'all. Life has a way of kicking butts in the worst way. This board has some of the coolest, funnest, most clever people I've ever run into (internetly speaking).

I'm watching the case with the Oakland/ San Francisco guys and the plaintiff is creeping me out seriously. And the GF looks like she's been tied up in his closet way too long. 

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

I'm watching the case with the Oakland/ San Francisco guys and the plaintiff is creeping me out seriously. And the GF looks like she's been tied up in his closet way too long. 

The plaintiff is SO creepy, cracking his knuckles compulsively and flailing hands.  He may have some mental problems.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Brattinella said:

The plaintiff is SO creepy, cracking his knuckles compulsively and flailing hands.  He may have some mental problems.

I keep getting phone calls so I have had to pause the episode several times and every time the dude looked like a serial killer that's about to carve me into a thousand little pieces.  Then there's that comatose girlfriend. . . . that finally woke up in the hallterview and turned into some shell of a Valley Girl. 

• Love 6

Finally got around to watching my recording of the multiple GF/chicken slaughter case.

Watching JJ try to understand a polyamorous relationship (tho seriously, with HIM?!) was amusing.

With the chicken vs pit bull (SHOCKER!) case, I found myself really wishing that the defendants actually had to pay the money themselves.  What an odious human being.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

Those flailing, skinny velociraptor/plucked chicken arms freaked me out too. His wine-throwing"duhhhhh" girlfriend (maybe she's mentally delayed if she really wants him) sits there, sucking her fingers like a dope.  I'm sure her parents were thrilled to have that useless dipstick living in their home, but they allowed it. Def, Briscoe, a smug-looking nitwit brat... omg. I just couldn't listen to either of them and had to stop. I don't personally know any young guys anymore. I just hope that the fact that virtually ALL the young guys we see on this show are stupid, silly, pansy-assed, sissified, video-gaming, FBing, useless babies who shouldn't be crossing streets alone is not indicative of the general population of young males. 

"Byrd, do me a  favour. Go over there and smack the stupid out these arseholes, please. We'll wait." I don't think she'd have to ask him twice.

6 hours ago, Sarcastico said:

I have 42 pairs.  Including a pair given to my grandmother's Uncle Ed by Charles Lindbergh. Uncle Ed was a NYC cop and he moonlighted as a bodyguard for Lindbergh. He was also a driver for Mayor Fiorello La Guardia.  And he embezzled a half-million dollars out of the NYC PBA.

That is too awesome! I bet he wasn't living with and sponging off Mommy and Daddy or grandparents.

• Love 7
On 5/14/2018 at 7:02 PM, califred said:

I think she’d have given the max for the chickens whatever it came out bc the defendant was a moron.  I live in the land of feral chickens.

I was so glad she gave out the $5k.  Speaking of feral chickens, I hope to adopt a few genuine Oahu hens soon, since I will have the space for them.  :-)

• Love 5

Those two ex-roommate nitwits were quite a study in contrasts; plaintiff was so tense and wound up he did come across as a sociophath in the making, while defendant kept grinning stupidly and giggling at every sentence uttered by JJ. None of them seemed quite connected with what was going on or to understand what JJ was telling or asking them. The girlfriend was even worse, with her empty-headed vacant stare; she was identified as a "barista", but if I were a coffee-drinking person (I never touch the stuff), I would never trust her with my order. I am sure I saw her sucking her thumb at one point!

• Love 6
13 hours ago, ButYourHonor said:

While I fully agree with JJ’s assessment of “YOU’RE ALL NUTS!” and also with the five gavel review (teehee), I can’t help but wonder about JJ’s judgment.

Firstly, as amusing as it always is to wallow in the idiocy of the litigants, I have to agree with the defendant that all the business about her daughter had zero to do with the case.  I’ve thought before that JJ delved into issues that were vaguely related at best, but I’m nosy myself, so I never cared.  This felt more like inciting the train-wreck rather than merely watching it.

Secondly, while I ABSOLUTELY do not think the woman should have a PITBULL who has already attacked a small dog around TWO LITTLE KIDS, the decision certainly flew in the face of other similar cases.  I have seen JJ award pets to people on the basis of how long they’ve had the animal numerous times.  This lady raised the dog from a puppy and it’s 14yrs old.  Mr. Nutcase Adopt-a-waif had the dog for maybe 5mo exclusively - and even in that time the lady’s son might very well have been living there as well!

The whole case was as sad and disturbing as it was funny.  All I can think of now is the messed-up kids.

Yes, she said he was 14 and 'practically dead', which just was so weird, but everything she said and the way she said it was weird.  Maybe JJ thought she was helping the dog by giving her to someone else? 

• Love 4

Schmoozing The Landlord - First case was boring, some dispute about a security deposit that involved the defendant "schmoozing with the landlord" to get an unfair eviction notice on her room mate, who was fancily clad in custom-tailored garbage bags. "You continued to sleep with him" accused Judge Judy. "I had no choice!" protested the defendant #MeToo, I guess. My favorite part was the hallterview. Said the plaintiff: "I wish her the best but I wish I truck would hit her." TWO HONKING GAVELS.

Whack! Whack! Whack! - What I would give to enjoy 5 minutes of all that background entertainment that was going on in the tweeker plaintiff's head. It changed every 3 seconds. Cracking knuckles before a bar fight, dropping beats in rap videos, enacting Adam Levine stage signature moves, playing dank bass, watching mind blowing fireworks happening right there on the podium surface, giving JJ the coy eyes, beaming with pride announcing that his psycho girlfriend (you know how girls get sometimes?) is going back to school, humble-bragging about his janky hoopty (a 2004 BMW)... what an ever-changing mental landscape! All wrapped up in polka dots, too.  One shout out of "where's my mattress!" and JJ had her fill and ruled in favor of the man-bunned defendant so that he can repaint a white wall for a generous $500. The plaintiff will have to return to his mooching lifestyle and his big craigslist promotion and street poster business, assisted by his wine-tossing girlfriend. FOUR GAVELS.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

I have been wracking my brain for a week or so trying to remember your screen name, and here you are! I wanted to ask if you are in the volcano path??

I live on Oahu so we are fine!  The air might get a little Vog filled the next couple of days but otherwise no affects here.  Thx for asking ?

• Love 6

How & why do so many plaintiffs keep  agreeing to put someone else’s cable or electric bill, credit card etc in their name as long as they “promise” to keep up with payments? (Which never happens) 

I mean come on people! it’s common sense, they can’t have any thing in their name BECAUSE THEY DON’T PAY THEIR GOD DAMN BILLS!!!!! 

Why would you expect them to be any different & follow thru on actually paying you back. 

They don’t give a shit about their own credit score & I guarantee 100% they care even less about yours 

• Love 11
4 hours ago, Hellohappylife said:

I mean come on people! it’s common sense, they can’t have any thing in their name BECAUSE THEY DON’T PAY THEIR GOD DAMN BILLS!!!!! 

Why would you expect them to be any different & follow thru on actually paying you back. 

Exactly! We "evicted" a guy who owed a ton of back rent when he actually left his stuff in the house and moved far away with no return date. We put his stuff in storage, holding it until we got paid. Of course, most of it belonged to Aaron rentals, blah blah fishcakes, long story.  He sues US to get all his crap back, gets laughed at in court, and his lawyer offers to let him make payments on what he owes us.  I let loose on that one!  He didn't pay us rent when he and his whole fam damily LIVED in the house - he's going to make payments on back rent?! Hell to the no!  We agreed to a partial payment (to cover our attorney's fees) AS LONG AS the check came from HIS lawyer's account.  Would love to know if the lawyers were ever paid.  Heh.  They seemed a little taken aback at the suggestion. Go figure.  And no, we never collected the entirety of what we were owed. Good luck to all of you poor folks in Alabama for having to put up with this moron (who has a roofing business).  We moved on and got better renters. Yes, there are challenges and headaches in being landlords, but it's allowed us both to mostly retire and have "play jobs" much earlier than most.  We've been very lucky to have nice properties, and nice tenants for the most part. <<< KNOCK ON WOOD!!!>>>

• Love 12
(edited)
5 hours ago, Hellohappylife said:

How & why do so many plaintiffs keep  agreeing to put someone else’s cable or electric bill, credit card etc in their name as long as they “promise” to keep up with payments?

Because they have a big heart! They see some poor, downtrodden person who doesn't pay their bills or work much, but they desperately need not food or shelter, but the latest cellphone and they deserve it! They may have stiffed everyone else they've dealt with but plaintiffs are sure they won't do that to them.

Look at the repeat yesterday with the bar owner plaintiff who sent 4,000$ to some over-stuffed con artist she hooked up with on a Christian dating site (perfect hunting grounds for a scammer) and with whom she was smitten for some bizarre reason. She didn't even know him and the money wasn't even for him, he says, but for his useless asshole 35-year old son to "get on his feet." Women - what the hell is wrong with all of you? I guess appearing here and revealing her sad desperation to the world is enough punishment that I hope she learned something and won't try buying any more lowlife scammers she hooks up with.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, Florinaldo said:

Those two ex-roommate nitwits were quite a study in contrasts; plaintiff was so tense and wound up he did come across as a sociophath in the making, while defendant kept grinning stupidly and giggling at every sentence uttered by JJ. None of them seemed quite connected with what was going on or to understand what JJ was telling or asking them. The girlfriend was even worse, with her empty-headed vacant stare; she was identified as a "barista", but if I were a coffee-drinking person (I never touch the stuff), I would never trust her with my order. I am sure I saw her sucking her thumb at one point!

I wanted to punch the plaintiff, and make a video of him to show to younger people who can't understand why older people are annoyed with him, and say "This is the type of person who is representing your generation!".  Someone has to be bankrolling him.  He's not earning enough to be living in the SanFran area by hanging posters, asking people on the street if they need his help promoting stuff, and putting posts on Craigslist.  And his GF doesn't work (except to maybe go to school, know enough to be a barista - yet she isn't working as one, and helps him in his "buisines").  With his comment about his BMW, it hit me that he reminds me so much of Jeremy Roloff from Little People, Big World, and my hatred for him grew.

• Love 3
(edited)
17 hours ago, ButYourHonor said:

With the chicken vs pit bull (SHOCKER!) case, I found myself really wishing that the defendants actually had to pay the money themselves.

That is the main thing that frequently irritates me about the verdicts on court shows; the award is paid by the show's production company, so the deadbeat, irresponsible or swindling defendant gets to keep the money or goods of which they deprived the plaintiff (which amounts to a double payoff), and if there is a balance in the awards kitty they get to keep a share on top of it all. 

Edited by Florinaldo
  • Love 3
(edited)
21 minutes ago, Florinaldo said:

That is the main thing that frequently irritates me about the verdicts on court shows; the award is paid by the show's production company, so the deadbeat, irresponsible or swindling defendant gets to keep the money or goods of which they deprived the plaintiff (which amounts to a double payoff), and if there is a balance in the awards kitty they get to keep a share on top of it all. 

Course, the flip side is the litigants with a valid case coming on court tv actually get paid something... just too bad the deadbeats also get something - even if it's just bragging rights to their fellow deadbeats and a free trip/lunch.

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 4
(edited)
53 minutes ago, SRTouch said:

Course, the flip side is the litigants with a valid case coming on court tv actually get paid something

You are correct. In real life people often can't collect on their small claims awards. But many of the litigants on these shows are obviously prospering, either through stable jobs (like the owner of the chicken killing dog) or thanks to various not totally licit schemes that generate revenues.

Edited by Florinaldo
  • Love 5
57 minutes ago, Quof said:

or the recipient has a big d.....

Never mind.

For me to give some loser jerk 4K or put him on my phone plan (not that I would ever do either), he'd need to have a lot more going for him than a big anything!

44 minutes ago, SRTouch said:

Course, the flip side is the litigants with a valid case coming on court tv actually get paid something.

Exactly. In small claims court they would never see a dime of what they're owed. We can only hope that some of the defs are embarassed at being shown up as fools and deadbeats.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Because they have a big heart! They see some poor, downtrodden person who doesn't pay their bills or work much, but they desperately need not food or shelter, but the latest cellphone and they deserve it! They may have stiffed everyone else they've dealt with but plaintiffs are sure they won't do that to them.

I used to have a big heart.  Then I got SCREWED royally in a very big and expensive way and my big heart shriveled up to the size of a teensy little pea. (and I  licked my wounds but damn if I was going to go on national TV and show off the error of my ways) Most of those big hearted people are in it for control or attention. They get off on being "big hearted" but then they can't control the other person with their "big heart" and their "big pocketbooks" so JJ calls them litigants. (stole that from Judge Milian over at the People's Court). 

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

I used to have a big heart. 

Me too. When I was very young and moved into my first apartment, a good friend asked if I would cosign for her to get an apartment in the same complex. In ignorance I did it, then suffered month after month when she didn't pay her rent on time and I had the landlord calling me, telling me I would be liable if she didn't pay. I was lucky and never ended up paying anything, but the lost sleep over the stress of it all taught me a lesson I never forgot. Sadly, unlike most of our litigants,  I had no parents to cover my screwups and when another request came years later from a lifelong friend of mine, I refused. It caused me more distress and guilt to deny her, but I stuck to my guns. No more cosigning, ever again.

• Love 7
(edited)

I think JJ blew another one today. In the case of the lightning struck HVAC, the contractor submitted a bid to do the work for $6900. Insurance company accepted this and paid the homeowner all of it except for the deductible. JJ let the homeowner pocket the deductible so the contractor got only $5400 for all of the work. Sorry JJ, law school or not, you don't understand deductibles, I do, having had my house heavily damaged twice by hurricanes. The deductible comes out of my pocket, not the contractor's pocket. (not that it is unheard of for a contractor to inflate the estimate by the deductible amount so that the owner evades the deductible.) This is not like a case where I get a $12,000 estimate (all numbers are made up, real numbers were much higher), insurance agrees and sends me $10,000 (less my $2000 deductible) and I shop around or postpone the repairs until prices come back down and can get the job bid at $9000, pay that from my $10,000, and keep the $1000 and don't suffer a deductible. The down side was having to put buckets, trash cans (up the 35 gallon wheeled ones) all over the house every time it rained, and live on bare slab for close to a year.

Edited by DoctorK
some clarification
  • Love 15
(edited)

I want to say a brief word about the commercials on JJ.  They have squeezed in an entire block of ads and only give us ONE MINUTE of JJ.  This has been done in the last 7 minutes of the show!  This will probably be my camel's straw!

ETA:  That should have been an entire EXTRA block of ads!

Edited by Brattinella
  • Love 5

The first things I taught my now 20 yr old daughter before I left for Hawaii... never loan anyone more money than you can afford not to have returned (I kind of suggested $20 as the cap), never let anyone not related to us drive the car and never co-sign anything.    Thankfully this a super responsible person who while she’s actually getting a decent amount of money from her job and GI Bill still has about 80%  of it even after cell phone/insurance bills. 

• Love 9