Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: All Rise

Message added by Meredith Quill

Community Manager Note

Official notice that the topic of Sean DeMarco is off limits. If you have 1-on-1 thoughts to complete please take it to PM with each other.

If you have questions, contact the forum moderator @PrincessPurrsALot.  Do not discuss this limit to this discussion in here. Doing so will result in a warning. 

• Start Topic

59 minutes ago, jilliannatalia said:

She and her original ez had filed but the divorce wasn't quite final, but it was an amicable enough separation,, plus  she had kids with the guy who had his last name, plus she had been known at the school in prior years by the married name, which was why she started the year with the name.  Then there was a blowout in court over, of all things, a stack of "Grateful Dead" vinyl albums. The next day she was back to her maiden name. Then midway through the year, once her divorce was final, she remarried and took #2's surname. Then she decided to hyphenate it with her maiden name. Then by late April she and #2 were kaput.   it was back to maiden name, except that by that time she had also changed her first name and was actually legally in the process of making the change. 

Some people appear to lead lives that are enormously more eventful and dramatic than mine; and I do not envy them one bit based on that description.

Although she does sound like good potential material for an appearance in JJ's courtroom or on other TV court shows.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

("Shall I compare thee to a cannèd ham? / Thou art more gummy and more gelatinous"--

Beautiful. Just... beautiful.

1 hour ago, Florinaldo said:

Some people appear to lead lives that are enormously more eventful and dramatic than mine;

Same. I"ve never had a burning desire for chaos, never wanted to get into an axe fight with my husband, challenge anyone to fight me on the street and never quivered with anticipation at the thought of getting into a knock-down-drag-out with my inlaws. I'm starting to think we're the minority.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Same. I"ve never had a burning desire for chaos, never wanted to get into an axe fight with my husband, challenge anyone to fight me on the street and never quivered with anticipation at the thought of getting into a knock-down-drag-out with my inlaws. I'm starting to think we're the minority.

I'm, in pretty much the same boat you're in in that regard.  A prank phone call in a college dorm is probably the most exciting thing I've ever done  besides [consensual] sex.  Some of us lead truly boring lives compared to Dr. Phil's, Springer's, and JJ's clientele.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, jilliannatalia said:

Some of us lead truly boring lives compared to Dr. Phil's, Springer's, and JJ's clientele.

But it's great to fall into bed at night, knowing nothing we've done would cause us to need a baseball bat next to the bed or a gun under the pillow to defend ourselves from those who would break in to attack us in retribution for what we've done to them.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, AZChristian said:

But it's great to fall into bed at night, knowing nothing we've done would cause us to need a baseball bat next to the bed or a gun under the pillow to defend ourselves from those who would break in to attack us in retribution for what we've done to them.

You really don't understand what a truely vibrant and exciting life is, do you?  I bet your poor kids go to school every day with full bellies, do their homework every night, and have never been in foster care.  You've probably never had conversations with your friends and relatives where you brag about how many holidays you've spent in jail for silly things like DUI, receiving stolen goods, passing bad checks, or beating up an ex's car because he or she disrespected you by dating again before you were quite sure you were done with them.  I bet you've even denied your parents of the heady experience of coming up with bail money in the middle of the night.  I bet you're not on a first name basis with a probation officer, social worker, and the staff at the ER.  I don't know how you look at yourself in the mirror every morning.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Zahdii said:

You really don't understand what a truely vibrant and exciting life is, do you?  I bet your poor kids go to school every day with full bellies, do their homework every night, and have never been in foster care.  You've probably never had conversations with your friends and relatives where you brag about how many holidays you've spent in jail for silly things like DUI, receiving stolen goods, passing bad checks, or beating up an ex's car because he or she disrespected you by dating again before you were quite sure you were done with them.  I bet you've even denied your parents of the heady experience of coming up with bail money in the middle of the night.  I bet you're not on a first name basis with a probation officer, social worker, and the staff at the ER.  I don't know how you look at yourself in the mirror every morning.

I know your remarks were directed at AZ Christian, but still you're making me feel guilty that neither I nor any of my three brothers even once gave our parents the pleasure of bailing us out of the pokey in broad daylight, much less in the middle of the night. I'm feeling as though they missed out on something really real, and that their lives are somehow poorer for not having gone through the experience. C'est la vie. I cannot change the past, and if I went out tonight and got myself thrown in jail, it would be my husband who would have to bail me out -- not my parents. Sometimes you just have to seize the moment, and if you fail to do so, you missed your chance. i failed my parents miserably.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, jilliannatalia said:

you're making me feel guilty that neither I nor any of my three brothers even once gave our parents the pleasure of bailing us out of the pokey in broad daylight, much less in the middle of the night.

Hey, remember the litigants who said that in their family they have a system for who gets called when one of them gets arrested? It happens so often they've worked out a way to ensure the same person doesn't get called twice in a row to bail out one of their criminal asshole relatives. Admirable.

Popcornchicken said:

On a positive note, the first defendant (Ms. Urrutia) was good enough to wear an outfit that hid most of her titty-tat of a horseshoe.

I just now watched this, and how it pissed me off. Never mind her titty tat - she's physically and mentally disabled, which prevents her from getting off her enormous ass and getting a job of any kind whatsoever but has never stopped her from getting knocked up so she has 3 kids, the latest only 11 months old, because when you're disabled and homeless, having another baby is the way to go!  Only in North America can someone who is disabled and homeless feed herself into such obesity that her features are distorted. So she gets the taxpayers of Minnysota to foot the rent for her new apartment rent and moves in her lover boy who apparently has some sort of job - he's into windows or something - but I bet he pays no rent. In fact I bet he's only with Urrutia so he too can parasitize the working public. Why should he pay rent? Ms. Urrutia has done her homework and knows every single way to get free money.  She abuses her kids, but plaintiff, the totally stupid goofball Mr.Quaas(?)with the watery red eyes, lets her continue to abuse them and says nothing as long as he's living in her premises. He willingly admits this to JJ, that the abuse of the children didn't bother him as long as he had a roof over his head.

JJ (Paraphrased) "Fuck off, all of you cretinous, parasitic imbeciles."

• Love 11
13 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Hey, remember the litigants who said that in their family they have a system for who gets called when one of them gets arrested? It happens so often they've worked out a way to ensure the same person doesn't get called twice in a row to bail out one of their criminal asshole relatives. Admirable.

Popcornchicken said:

I just now watched this, and how it pissed me off. Never mind her titty tat - she's physically and mentally disabled, which prevents her from getting off her enormous ass and getting a job of any kind whatsoever but has never stopped her from getting knocked up so she has 3 kids, the latest only 11 months old, because when you're disabled and homeless, having another baby is the way to go!  Only in North America can someone who is disabled and homeless feed herself into such obesity that her features are distorted. So she gets the taxpayers of Minnysota to foot the rent for her new apartment rent and moves in her lover boy who apparently has some sort of job - he's into windows or something - but I bet he pays no rent. In fact I bet he's only with Urrutia so he too can parasitize the working public. Why should he pay rent? Ms. Urrutia has done her homework and knows every single way to get free money.  She abuses her kids, but plaintiff, the totally stupid goofball Mr.Quaas(?)with the watery red eyes, lets her continue to abuse them and says nothing as long as he's living in her premises. He willingly admits this to JJ, that the abuse of the children didn't bother him as long as he had a roof over his head.

JJ (Paraphrased) "Fuck off, all of you cretinous, parasitic imbeciles."

Regarding the family with the system for whom to call in the case of need for bailouts, I find it almost impossible to fathom such function amidst such total dysfunction.  It's similar to some relatives I have with too many children to  properly supervise, or the parents are too damned lazy to care properly for the kids, or a combination of both.. Both parents are RNs, and they have liquid charcoal, ipecac, equipment for gastric lavage, defibrillation equipment, and anything else they need stored in a secret location in their home (and apparently difficult for authorities to find; they fly under the radar by not having to call 911 or take kids to the ER, but several of us have reported them to local authorities) plus the knowledge of how to use the equipment and supplies for whenever one of their little ones accidentally ingests poison, medication, or some other toxin.  Wouldn't it be easier just to childproof one's home a bit more thoroughly, as in storing medications and poisonous products  in a secure and non-child-accessible location, and to actually watch one's children?  Sooner or later, they're going to get unlucky and lose one of the kids through their shoddy non-parenting system. I don't know why they had six kids  (in nine years) if they didn't want to put in the necessary time to care for them in a proper manner. You'd think  couple of RNs, between the two of them,  could navigate the details of birth control.

It's the same level of function within dysfunction as displayed by the family with the elaborate bailout system. 

Edited by jilliannatalia
  • Love 6

You really don't understand what a truely vibrant and exciting life is, do you? 

You've probably never spent a cold winter's evening by the fire with your new SO whom you met at the gas station, sipping wine and comparing arrest records.

• Love 10
38 minutes ago, Sarcastico said:

You've probably never spent a cold winter's evening by the fire with your new SO whom you met at the gas station, sipping wine and comparing arrest records.

Was that after shaking off the cops during the high speed chase that resulted from you failing to pay for your gas and grabbing a few bottles of Mad Dog on your way out the door?  Because that sounds like a lovely ending to the evening.  Or did you have to meet up after getting out of County?  Gotta admit, having your new squeeze pick you up in the parking lot after your release gives a lot of joie de vie to a new relationship.

• Love 9

Just for the record, we were asked for bail money for my brother-in-law about 30 years ago.  We declined.  We were never asked again.  I'm not sure whether he ever needed bail money again, but he didn't waste his time asking us for it.  We're "if you're gonna dance, you're gonna have to pay the piper" people.

• Love 8

Did anyone else get the feeling they'd seen the two tax preparers before? The guide said it was a new ep, but they sure seemed familiar. Especially the purple-lipsticked (lipstuck?) plaintiff.  Haven't watched the dog rescue case yet - had it running while I cooked dinner - but I hate cases that are the whole episode!  Usually because JJ throws everybody out.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, SandyToes said:

Did anyone else get the feeling they'd seen the two tax preparers before? The guide said it was a new ep, but they sure seemed familiar. Especially the purple-lipsticked (lipstuck?) plaintiff.  Haven't watched the dog rescue case yet - had it running while I cooked dinner - but I hate cases that are the whole episode!  Usually because JJ throws everybody out.

My guide said the tax episode was from 5/12, and if you go back in the thread to that date there’s a bit of discussion about it. 

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, SandyToes said:

The guide said it was a new ep

Why are the guide descriptions seemingly so f-ed up for this show? Attention cable operators: any one of us on this forum can do a better job! 

Regarding the case of the bulldog rescue fiasco -- my main takeaway, yet again -- is that Facebook has enabled every nanny-know-it-all asshole on the planet with an opinion to feel like it is their civic duty to post the nastiest shit imaginable and sit smugly by while it is consumed as fact by whoever is bothered to read it. While that bulldog rescue operator was sketchy as all hell (divorcing husband with cancer) she did seem to pay the dogs' vet bills with the money she raised. Did she use some of the funds for personal use? I don't know -- probably? But without proof, nanny-know-it-all should have at least requested the 501c3 records to back up her assertions before releasing her APB "SCAMMER ALERT!!!111!!!" post.  

1 hour ago, Giant Misfit said:

But without proof, nanny-know-it-all should have at least requested the 501c3 records to back up her assertions before releasing her APB "SCAMMER ALERT!!!111!!!" post.  

Wow. Didn't watch but this reminds me of when I was doing rescue and someone would email, saying they'd like this or that animal. I'd write back telling them the adoption fee and other info, and twice I got back, "I thought you were rescuing animals, not SELLING them." Sure, we'll pay for the vet care it got (and some required a LOT, like a cat found with arrow right through its body and cost the earth in vet bills), pay for all its food and to have the animal spayed or neutered and just give it to you free, because we all know how much many people value something that's free. Someone who doesn't want to pay an adoption fee ain't gonna pay vet bills either. How do these morons think we're able to do all that? We relied on those adoption fees to let us help more animals.

• Love 11

I got the sense that the defendant in the dog rescue case was involved with other rescue organizations, and was part of a group of people who didn't think the plaintiff's rescue was up to their standards.  The defendant kept saying "we" and talked about other people who'd requested info from the plaintiff.  However she really didn't have proof in court (and nobody with any first hand knowledge appeared to have showed up), so she was left twisting in the wind.   She probably should have left the facebook posting to those with actual proof (and not posted anything slanderous without that proof).

Edited by Bramble
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Wow. Didn't watch but this reminds me of when I was doing rescue and someone would email, saying they'd like this or that animal. I'd write back telling them the adoption fee and other info, and twice I got back, "I thought you were rescuing animals, not SELLING them." Sure, we'll pay for the vet care it got (and some required a LOT, like a cat found with arrow right through its body and cost the earth in vet bills), pay for all its food and to have the animal spayed or neutered and just give it to you free, because we all know how much many people value something that's free. Someone who doesn't want to pay an adoption fee ain't gonna pay vet bills either. How do these morons think we're able to do all that? We relied on those adoption fees to let us help more animals.

My husband and I are not official rescuers of any sort, but we've informally taken in and fostered a cat and four dogs. Our vet was quick to recommend charging a fee for the various reasons that you've cited.  It's really an indication of commitment of the quality of care the new owner is willing to provide for the animal. In none of our  cases did the fee we received come close to covering our costs.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Bramble said:

I got the sense that the defendant in the dog rescue case was involved with other rescue organizations, and was part of a group of people who didn't think the plaintiff's rescue was up to their standards. 

In many fields of activities you find those self-appointed guardians of some self-defined orthodoxy that they want everyone to conform to. It may be more prevalent in a milieu like animal rescue, where self-righteous pretentions of moral superiority seem frequent, at least judging from TV court shows litigants. The plaintiff also had a streak of it.

If the defendant had brought something, anything, amounting to a shadow of proof or testimony, she might have had a chance not to look like a meddlesome busybody making gratuitous and arbitrary accusations relying on hearsay and suppositions. Examples of standards of practice established by a credible body and evidence that the plaintiff's operations deviated from these would have been useful, if they exist.

• Love 5

It may be more prevalent in a milieu like animal rescue, where self-righteous pretentions of moral superiority seem frequent, at least judging from TV court shows litigants.

This was constantly a theme in Hoarders.  People would live in the most astonishing filth with as many as 20 rescued dogs. Broken refrigerators, backed-up toilets, no heat, roaches, mold, mildew, dead cats, rotten food, etc.  But it's okay, because they're into animal rescue!  One woman was given the opportunity by the county of giving up her dogs or her children, and she gave up the children.  "If I give up the kids, I'll know where they are and I'll be able to see them.  If I give up the dogs, I won't know where they are or what happened to them."  Or words to that effect. 

• Love 7

Wow those 2 morons!  Signed a "do not party" agreement, and had one anyway!  And played BEER PONG on the other girl's table (looked like a long formal mahogany table)  I actually gasped when I saw it.  And those two? "We go to college, what did you expect?"

• Love 10
6 hours ago, Sarcastico said:

This was constantly a theme in Hoarders.  People would live in the most astonishing filth with as many as 20 rescued dogs. Broken refrigerators, backed-up toilets, no heat, roaches, mold, mildew, dead cats, rotten food, etc.  But it's okay, because they're into animal rescue!  One woman was given the opportunity by the county of giving up her dogs or her children, and she gave up the children.  "If I give up the kids, I'll know where they are and I'll be able to see them.  If I give up the dogs, I won't know where they are or what happened to them."  Or words to that effect. 

Wow. Just wow. Why would county child welfare authorities even give the person a choice regarding kids versus dogs? Either the children the person brought into the world or legally adopted (if it's a formal or informal fostering situation, maybe giving a choice is more legit) are a more compelling responsibility than dogs he or she found on the street, and therefore the person must give up the dogs for the well-being of the children if the person lacks the capacity to care properly for both, or the person is so unfit with or without dogs that the person must at least temporarily lose custody, ideally of both,  while he or she cleans up his or her act.  To allow a person to choose, however, who would then choose the strays? It's complete madness.

And I'm a dog lover.

• Love 3

Okay I think the powers that be at JJ are trying to mess with us. I’ve had several supposedly NEW cases which are really old cases. Like the 14 cat people with the defendant with the weird cadence to his voice. And the guy with the grocery store in the apartment complex vs his neighbor with the swollen eyes (looked like some kind of allergic reaction). Plus the purple lipstick tax lady is def old. Do they think we aren’t paying attention?  Don’t they know we see everything? And if they are rehashing old cases, then what about The Curious Case of the Missing Patricia Bean?!?!

• Love 7
30 minutes ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

Okay I think the powers that be at JJ are trying to mess with us. I’ve had several supposedly NEW cases which are really old cases. Like the 14 cat people with the defendant with the weird cadence to his voice. And the guy with the grocery store in the apartment complex vs his neighbor with the swollen eyes (looked like some kind of allergic reaction). Plus the purple lipstick tax lady is def old. Do they think we aren’t paying attention?  Don’t they know we see everything? And if they are rehashing old cases, then what about The Curious Case of the Missing Patricia Bean?!?!

Maybe they misdate old episodes as being 2017 ones to kick up the ratings.  If the JJ people aren't responsible for supplying the info, what reason would cable/satellite providers have for doing it?  We have Dish, and this is a constant issue.  Also shows that don't match the description on the on-screen guide--at least one a day.

Can anyone tell me what the disposition of the tax-ladies case was?  It broke for commercials, and when it came back, they were showing the bulldog-rescue case.  Our local affiliate is like a pack of Keystone Cops with a broadcast license, I swear.

The deFENdant in this landLORD/renTERS case is driVING me crAZY.

Sorry, I couldn't quote specific poster in edit.  I think he had some kind of unusual form of Tourette's or some other neurological disorder.  I've never heard anything quite like that, though, so who knows?

Edited by Mondrianyone
addl comment
30 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Can anyone tell me what the disposition of the tax-ladies case was?  It broke for commercials, and when it came back, they were showing the bulldog-rescue case.  Our local affiliate is like a pack of Keystone Cops with a broadcast license, I swear.

Wasn't this one case?  The plaintiff had a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation which she used to raise money for bulldog rescue.  Defendant defamed her on Facebook, alleging that plaintiff used some of the funds to remodel her trailer.  If that's the one, JJ gave plaintiff $500, because defendant did make statements that damaged plaintiff's reputation.  We don't know if what she said was true, and defendant couldn't prove it, so JJ gave her some money.

• Love 1

Thanks, @AuntiePam, but it was two cases mashed together.  I don't even know how they did that.  The case I didn't see the ending to involved two African-American women who were either partners in a tax-preparation business or employer/employee, depending on who you believed.  The plaintiff was accusing defendant of stealing money from the company to pay rent owed (to herself) by another employee who was a tenant in an apartment she (def) owned.  Also of vandalizing the office space.  Def counterclaimed that plaintiff was stealing her client files and deceiving her clients.  But I never saw how it shook out, because instead of showing the end of that case, they picked up after commercial with the bulldog case, which I'd already seen in its entirety.  So if anybody got to see the end of the crazy tax ladies, I'm still up for hearing about it.

7 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Wow those 2 morons!  Signed a "do not party" agreement, and had one anyway!  And played BEER PONG on the other girl's table (looked like a long formal mahogany table)  I actually gasped when I saw it.  And those two? "We go to college, what did you expect?"

Can eighteen year olds sign a legally binding lease? Because JJ asked all three girls how old they were, and both defendants said they were eighteen. If they're too young to drink, are they too young to sign contracts obligating them to pay rent?

5 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

I think the way the guy in the cat hoarder case talked is because he stutters and it's a way of controlling the stutter.

4 hours ago, badhaggis said:

I thought he might have Tourette syndrome.

I completed a master of science degree in educational psychology while I was technically an undergrad because I completed tons of AP units in high school, I  wanted to use all four years of my athletic eligibility, and I wasn't allowed to start law school even at the law school affiliated with my university as a  [mostly bench-sitting)]  NCAA athlete.  I'm not a licensed school psychologist because I didn't complete the extensive practicum that would have been required for a Pupil Personnel Services credential that would have licensed me.  While I'm nowhere near possessing the knowledge of such conditions that a speech therapist or a neurologist would possess, I was required to study a broad overview of roughly every disabling condition under the sun that might afflict a student.  

A conclusive diagnosis would require, even from a speech therapist, a longer sampling in more than one setting, in person, and auditing spontaneous speech both in as relaxed a setting as possible and under more stressful circumstances (such as being questioned for the taping of  a court TV show), repetition of specific words, phrases, and sentences upon demand, and, ideally, observation of the subject speaking when he did not know he was being observed. Nonethelesss, I am prepared to [very unethically] render my armchair speech therapist diagnosis.

My best guess is that the defendant suffers from chronic vocal tic disorder, which is a condition that falls within the Tourette Syndrome spectrum, but would not be classified by most speech therapists or neurologists as full-blown Tourette.   Chronic motor tic is another disorder within the same spectrum.  A person with both a chronic vocal tic and a chronic motor tic would be classified as having Tourette Syndrome. With just one, though, he doesn't typically get the full diagnosis. (The stereotypical Tourette Syndrome manifestation of blurting random obscenities is somewhat rare and not all that typical of those suffering from the syndrome, though there are those who display such manifestations.)  Tourette spectrum conditions appear in childhood and, unless the kid is REALLY lucky and the manifestation is a brief anomaly in an otherwise neurotypical life, it goes on to become a chronic condition and persists throughout life, though manifestations can alter themselves to some degree.. Stress typically worsens the condition, and the situation in which we saw the defendant was probably about as stressful as a situation could have been for him.  The production staff was probably merciful in editing this case. JJ tends to be sympathetic to legitimate disabilities, and I would think she would have encouraged editing of anything non-essential  that cast his speaking ability in a poor light.  Still, he was mostly able to get his words out with relatively few manifestations, noticeable though the ones we saw were.  He seemed to have more difficulty with continuous consonants and with vowel sounds, which isn't necessarily characteristic of stuttering, and it was an elongation of the sounds, rather than a repetition, as is more typical of stuttering. 

As Silver Raven suggested, it's conceivable he has learned to compensate for stuttering by elongating sounds, but usually a stuttering condition would also manifest itself in non-elongatable consonants (/t/, /p/, /b/. /k/, for example) in which he would be unable to compensate by holding the sounds out vocally, and typically a situation such as taping a TV episode would bring out the very worst in a person's ability to speak fluently without stuttering. I also closely watched the wife/girlfriend or whoever she was. Partners or close family members are often very quick to jump in when a stutterer begins to experience difficulty with speech fluency, and she didn't seem to do so, though perhaps she did and it was edited out.

If editing was really heavily done on this segment, it's conceivable the guy could be suffering from full-blown Tourette Syndrome as Badhaggis suggested.  Chronic vocal tics are more controllable than is stuttering, but they cannot be held off forever.  One person who suffered from a chronic motor tic condition  (not the vocal form, though I would think the sensation might be similar) described it to me as feeling to him almost like an irresistible urge to crack his knuckles, except for him it was an irresistible urged to open his eyes as wide as possible briefly, then allow them to return to their normal state. He could delay the urge, but eventually he had to do the eye thing. When the chronic tic is  vocal nature, it can be a clearing of the throat or a cough,  a sniff, a squeal, or  an elongation of sounds. Sometimes the elongation of sounds has been explicitly taught by a speech or occupational therapist  to compensate for a more obvious manifestation. Again, the blurting of random inappropriate words would earn a person a full-blown Tourette syndrome diagnosis as opposed to oe of possessing a chronic vocal tic. 

It is worth noting that, because the entire broad category  or spectrum is a continuum, the diagnosis can be subjective. What one licensed professional might diagnose as a vocal or motor tic, another might classify as a full Tourette Syndrome diagnosis. In general, though, if they follow the criteria as set forth in the most recent Diagnostics and Statistics Manual and they observe the same behaviors in the person, they should usually reach the same diagnosis.

In an earlier post, I alluded to my possibly being qualified to prescribe an albuterol inhaler for someone with breathing difficulties [brought on from laughing excessively  at silly postings bout a proposed road trip] on the basis of having viewed most episodes of House, MD. I must offer the disclaimer that I am only marginally more qualified to offer this half-assed diagnosis of the defendant in the "14 Cats" case.  A master's degree in educational psychology without a corresponding PPS credential is worth a few additional thousand dollars per year on a teacher's pay scale in most school districts, and it looks really pretty in a frame on the wall in my office,  but  it's good for little else.

Edited by jilliannatalia
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Though it didn't happen with these cases, this situation has occurred multiple times on the affiliate on which I watch JJ. I'm nearly certain these people broadcast from their basement using short-wave radios and coffee cans attached to strings. 

Yesterday, I got the rerun of Joe Schoofs, aka Captain Sleazebag who bilked his girlfriend out of $5000 because they "weren't exclusive" then promptly broke up with her, relocated to Ghana, and got engaged to someone else. How a man in his 50s, who makes $100k plus a year doesn't have any savings and is in dire need of $5000 is beyond me. My guess is that he took the five grand and bought an engagement ring for his other girlfriend then bolted the country. 

Very informative post, @jilliannatalia! I felt sorry for that Defendant—the vocal tic seemed to have disappeared during his hallterview which made me think he might only have it when he's super nervous. I wish JJ had explained what a low-cost spay and neuter clinic was to those two as they seemed to be in need of some life guidance. 

While the 14-cat couple was  a repeat, I was again pleased with how Judy "counseled" them, rather than just blasted them. She really can be very compassionate with people who have disabilities (of the genuine and intellectual sort, at least). They both seemed to be impaired in some way.  But they at least were respectful and polite in court!

I want to say the two tax ladies were both dismissed, but the lipstick and posturing had me so distracted, it's hard to say what else transpired. Must have really been a party in the hotel - didn't they both have at least two witnesses?

• Love 2
11 hours ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

November "sweeps month" is over, and so are our daily treats of new cases.  I remembered both the "convenience store" guy and the gentleman with the unique speech pattern.  My local Cox guide did not have these flagged as "new" episodes.

BTW, that apartment complex is advertised as low-income SENIOR housing.  How did he even get an apartment there?  I suspect he may have been selling juice boxes and milk in the front room, but he was selling something else out the back door.  He said he was there until 11:00 at night.  Trust me. . . old people are not up shopping for juice boxes at 11:00.  They're mostly hoping that they can get back to sleep after a trip to the bathroom; they (we) are NOT drinking anything they (we) don't need to drink at that hour.

Edited by AZChristian
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, SandyToes said:

While the 14-cat couple was  a repeat, I was again pleased with how Judy "counseled" them, rather than just blasted them. She really can be very compassionate with people who have disabilities (of the genuine and intellectual sort, at least). They both seemed to be impaired in some way.  But they at least were respectful and polite in court!

As for the smell, I think probably a case of "nose blind" where they thought it smelled fine, while everyone was reaching for a gas mask. Always kind of amazing when I watch video of people in biohazard suits and masks gasping for breath as they clean out a hoarder's house, while right in the middle the hoarder walks around completely unaffected.

• Love 4

Jilliannatalia that was a fascinating post on the odd speaker guy. I was thinking possibly Tourette’s as well (with my Doctor Google degree hahah). As for the inhaler for the laugher, theres asthma which is triggered by other things such as laughing, Cold weather , exercise, viruses,  perfume, etc. (my experience with asthma is that I’m an asthmatic with a grown asthmatic kid). 

I have Dish network and I checked the new episode number and it’s very high so I was thinking new episodes (and they are taping as new). I just thought I was losing my mind because how many guys with apartment convenience stores and ladies with swollen eyes being sued are there? Or purple lipstick does tax preparers? Or 14 cats people (unless you’re watching Hoarders) 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

BTW, that apartment complex is advertised as low-income SENIOR housing. 

Huh, isn't THAT interesting! Maybe that's why he claimed he didn't "live" there but only operated the "store" out of the apartment. I also wanted to mention his ridiculous excuse of having "dropped his phone in the hot tub" the night before -- and yet, THERE HE WAS, with a phone in his hand pretending to look for a phone number he knew he didn't have.

I felt super sorry for the Defendant. She's clearly a woman of little means, living in some sort of subsidized housing she can barely afford and her life is made a living hell by some pseudo-squatter selling "eggs" at one o'clock in the morning.  Sometimes when I'm watching this show and not screaming at the TV, it also has a habit of making me very grateful for what I have. 

39 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

Huh, isn't THAT interesting! Maybe that's why he claimed he didn't "live" there but only operated the "store" out of the apartment. I also wanted to mention his ridiculous excuse of having "dropped his phone in the hot tub" the night before -- and yet, THERE HE WAS, with a phone in his hand pretending to look for a phone number he knew he didn't have.

I felt super sorry for the Defendant. She's clearly a woman of little means, living in some sort of subsidized housing she can barely afford and her life is made a living hell by some pseudo-squatter selling "eggs" at one o'clock in the morning.  Sometimes when I'm watching this show and not screaming at the TV, it also has a habit of making me very grateful for what I have. 

Another odd thing - defendant admitted she was about to be evicted and potentially homeless.  I got this hinky feeling that (1) if store operator doesn't even qualify to live in the complex, and (2) whistleblower is being evicted . . . maybe someone needs to look into who in the management office is taking a cut of the profits (under the table) for the "juice and milk" that the plaintiff is selling.  

I never cease to be amazed that folks like the plaintiff will file suit in a public forum and risk being exposed in their lawbreaking schemes.  They think "street smarts" will outwit "book smarts."  Sure . . . JJ has NEVER heard "my phone fell into a spa/swimming pool/toilet so I don't have texes/my phone number list now."  How sad that it fell in JUST LAST NIGHT!!!!

• Love 5

When I was an 18 year old college student I was arrested as part of an anti-apartheid civil disobedience protest.  A month or so later, the charges were dropped because the police were over enthusiastic in carrying out their duties and the district attorney declined to prosecute. I called my mom's school, where she was a teacher, and left a message (with her boss!) that the "charges were dropped." My mom later told me that her supervisor came to her classroom, blushed deeply, and gave her the message. My mom laughingly told him the backstory. Closest my family has gotten to a jailhouse story.

On topic, I was also reminded of Hoarders by the couple insisting they cleaned for a week and couldn't smell anything. The house probably was ten times better after their cleaning, and still a bio hazard to normal humans.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I got this hinky feeling that (1) if store operator doesn't even qualify to live in the complex, and (2) whistleblower is being evicted . . . maybe someone needs to look into who in the management office is taking a cut of the profits (under the table) for the "juice and milk" that the plaintiff is selling.  

That is some fine Jessica Fletcher-ing of that situation! 

Can eighteen year olds sign a legally binding lease? Because JJ asked all three girls how old they were, and both defendants said they were eighteen. If they're too young to drink, are they too young to sign contracts obligating them to pay rent?

In all states, the age requirement to sign a contract is 18 years of age.  

Edited by marleyfan
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, NYGirl said:

So on Entertainment Tonight or whatever show is on CBS they had JJ along with the cute little dog she took away from the litigant a couple of weeks ago.  She said she got tons of mail asking what happened to the dog that her arm got tired from writing.  Turns out she gave the dog to one of her producers and his wife and they showed the couple along with the dog and Judge Judy.  It was nice to see.

Here's the video. Her name is Foxy now! 

22 hours ago, NYCFree said:

When I was an 18 year old college student I was arrested as part of an anti-apartheid civil disobedience protest.  A month or so later, the charges were dropped because the police were over enthusiastic in carrying out their duties and the district attorney declined to prosecute. I called my mom's school, where she was a teacher, and left a message (with her boss!) that the "charges were dropped." My mom later told me that her supervisor came to her classroom, blushed deeply, and gave her the message. My mom laughingly told him the backstory. Closest my family has gotten to a jailhouse story.

On topic, I was also reminded of Hoarders by the couple insisting they cleaned for a week and couldn't smell anything. The house probably was ten times better after their cleaning, and still a bio hazard to normal humans.

Civil disobedience for a good cause is like the ultimate  cool -- not the stuff for which the standard JJ clientele find themselves jailed and in need of bail.

• Love 3