Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: All Rise

Message added by Meredith Quill

Community Manager Note

Official notice that the topic of Sean DeMarco is off limits. If you have 1-on-1 thoughts to complete please take it to PM with each other.

If you have questions, contact the forum moderator @PrincessPurrsALot.  Do not discuss this limit to this discussion in here. Doing so will result in a warning. 

• Start Topic

43 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

Any breed, given its training by human owners can cause harm. The overwhelming, and might I add most all cases of pit bull attacks, were due to their garbage-human owners who trained them like that. I can assure you, day in and day out, I see many pit bulls in the care of loving, committed owners who would never harm anyone or anything. It's too bad it's a common misconception, but it's not the breed, it's the people. 

While I agree environment and training can go a long way towards a dog's behavior, I think the instinctual traits of the breed also factor in. Unfortunately, way to many people pick their dog based on appearance, forgetting that certain breeds have been bred for generations for certain traits. The cane corso, a relatively new breed in the US, has been bred for centuries as a highly intelligent, hunting and guard dog in Italy. It's a working dog that needs lots of exercise, has a strong prey drive, strong protective streak and known to need a strong leader to keep it in check. Oh, not to forget, it's a mastiff and easily tops 100 pounds. Can be a real sweatheart of a dog, but NOT an animal for 90% of American dog owners. Like all dogs bred as working dogs, if its human doesn't give it a job it will find its own, and it's big enough that it can cause a lot of damage if the job it chooses isn't what the human wants it to do. So, if it decides it needs to protect the sidewalk in front of the house, it could attack anything (or anyone) walking on ITS SIDEWALK. 

When you go down a list of dog breeds, looking at the traits different breeds have been bred for generations to have, it's actually kind of appalling to see what people choose to have in their homes. You have sled dogs bred to run for miles in for cold weather cooped up in people's back yards in hot climates, working and hunting dogs expected to sit in an apartment waiting hours for the human to get home. Is it any wonder so many dogs go a little nuts or end up barking and eating the furniture. Problem gets even worse when you're talking pedigree dogs, because the traits are closer to the surface. Wonder why the dalmatian your kid just had to have after watching the movie has worn a path around your fence in the backyard? Might just be because it was bred for hundreds of years to run for miles on end as a carriage dog.

Breeders continues to tinker with genetics to breed for certain characteristics which are then ignored when people pick out their dogs. Don't get mad at that dalmatian in the backyard if it won't stop running in circles and come to you when you call it - chances are it can't hear you as one of the side effects of breeding that spotted coat is deafness. 

I've always been against banning dogs solely based on their on breed. I'm still against it in principle, but I'm a lot more understanding of the practice after reading of all the fatal attacks broken down by breed. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_dog_attacks_in_the_United_States 

• Love 4

I agree so much SRTouch.  The breed of dog goes towards the dogs' natural tendencies.  There have been a few fatalities by smaller breeds (even terriers and dachshunds) but 87% fatalities due to pit-bulls?  That figure must give a prospective dog owner pause.  I think people who train their pit-bulls with heavy chains and beatings and starvation need to be exterminated.

• Love 5

SRTouch, I agree with everything you say. A dog like a Fila Brasilerio, e.g.,  is bred to have a hatred of strangers and in the environment for which it was bred, namely protecting and guarding large South American ranches, it's perfect. In an urban setting, with clueless, dumbass idiots who want a status symbol, it's highly dangerous and a huge liability. Your kids bring their friends over and they want to pet your doggie? It WILL attack them.

Anyway, just watched yesterday's cases. Samantha Salazar, with the Ronald McDonald hair,  is so dumb I swear I could hear her few brain neurons trying to fire up. She's 21, has already lost her driver's license and then gets drunk and drives again, and is a homecare aid!  Of course she is, since this seems to be the profession for anyone who is incapable of doing anything else. Nice, for the most vulnerable members of society. Who gives a shit about them?

ETA: I forgot - the car lot owner and rim stripper (Mr. Padilla?) reminded me of how much I destest this new trend of "man buns." Please, make it stop.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 5

I read the info at the link and think that it shows how, in many cases, abuse, starvation, neglect of animals so often causes animals to be aggressive and violent.  Heartbreaking when animals are being starved and are actually seeking food.  Over and over the list contained dogs who had been chained up.

I did want to write that even when puppies have received parvo shots they may still catch parvo.  This happened to me and a dalmatian puppy.  All shots were given, etc.  However, with wonderful vet care, she survived and was my constant companion for 14 years.  After her though, I would not take a puppy for a walk in public spaces until after 6 months of age (yes, even with parvo shots) because they may still get parvo.   However, the fact that the dumb, should be illegal, backyard breeders lost all of their puppies AND an adult dog to "parvo" tells us all we need to know about them.  Unfortunately, the fact that they didn't know if they all died from parvo or not clearly indicates that the puppies never even saw a vet. 

• Love 6
7 hours ago, SRTouch said:

I've always been against banning dogs solely based on their on breed. I'm still against it in principle, but I'm a lot more understanding of the practice after reading of all the fatal attacks broken down by breed. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_dog_attacks_in_the_United_States 

I love that they had to exclude deaths caused by fire ant bites after being pushed down by a dog. Great. Now I gotta put that on my list of things to worry about.

23 hours ago, SRTouch said:

While I agree environment and training can go a long way towards a dog's behavior, I think the instinctual traits of the breed also factor in. 

Absolutely.  Not to mention their physical traits too.  A pit Bull's jaw is pretty powerful and locks itself closed.  And of course the obvious, size.  Chihuahuas bite people too, but they are so small that even fairly young kids can fight them off.  I know a boy who was bitten by one one the face.  He was about 7 and it was a pretty severe bite.  Can't imagine how much worse it would have been if it were a larger dog.  (Kid is better now.  Don't even see a scar)

My favorite dog is a Labrador Retriever.  I had one growing up and have one now. ( Neither were purebreds.)  They were bred to sit quietly while owner hunts birds, usually waterbirds, until commanded to retreive the bird and to carry it back without damaging it.  These qualities make them great pets and excellent service dogs. My dog has an incredibly strong grip and can hold on tightly to almost anything without biting down, while a pit bull's instinct is to sink its teeth in.  I noticed that there were a few labs on the Wikipedia list, because at the end of the day, they are still animals.  Most of the time, they were part of a group, not alone, and I think that is because their primal pack hunting instinct is triggered.. 

I am done with the dog cases.  I think I will fast forward through them for now on.

Edited by ElleMo
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, ElleMo said:

I noticed that there were a few labs on the Wikipedia list, because at the end of the day, they are still animals. 

Yep.  We can't know what's going on in a dog's mind, what might set off the most mild-mannered, well-behaved dog.  It's just not worth the risk. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I'm coming over. If you don't come out to fight me for him, I'll smash your windshield with my baseball bat.

Oh please you two...fisticuffs aren't necessary. We all know that passion is measured by the size of your titty tat, so who can get to the tat parlor the fastest?

• Love 6

A friend of mine was a mailman for 30 yrs and was bitten several times.  He said the worst he ever got was from a Chihuahua!  Little shit tore up his calf.  Off work for a month.

Caught a rerun this weekend where the guy was "calm, cool and collective".  Also he said conversate about 4 times.  Corrected himself a couple.  JJ told us unfortunately conversate is in the MW dictionary.

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, OhioSongbird said:

Caught a rerun this weekend where the guy was "calm, cool and collective".  Also he said conversate about 4 times.  Corrected himself a couple.  JJ told us unfortunately conversate is in the MW dictionary.

Well, JJ would know. After all, court tv is where I come to learn all the latest on the spoken word. Pretty sure it's where I first heard "baby momma/daddy". Also, that you don't need to be in a relationship or bf/gf to have a baby, all you have to do is "talk" to someone, and viola.

• Love 5

, so who can get to the tat parlor the fastest?

As soon as I think of something trashy or maudlin enough, I'm there.

After all, court tv is where I come to learn all the latest on the spoken word.

Me too. Baby daddy, messin' around (to denote a sexual relationship), friends with benefits - they all disgust me more every time I hear them.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, SRTouch said:

all you have to do is "talk" to someone, and viola.

Well, dang!  That explains soooo much!  /snerk

Not to mention "showering" with someone.  Gah.

I used to watch Super Nanny every now and then, to make myself feel better about being  a parent. Sometimes this show has the same effect.  Sometimes, though, it just makes me very, very nervous. And sad for humanity.  But my future teachers student will continue to have grammar questions on their exams - even in the math classes! So there!  I'm going to use "yogurtses" and "texteses"  and "breasteses" in my math class on over-generalizing "rules." Yes, we add "-es" to show the plural of SOME words. Not every blasted one.

• Love 3

There was a water bill case that I think JJ screwed up. (Although admittedly the tenant struck me as a leech.) In my state (and given CA's drought problems I'm sure it's true there), if you rent a property, you have to make sure there are no leaks even if they're silent. And JJ is delusional if she thinks a jacuzzi/pool uses more water that a year long silent running toilet particularly if the toilet is old. I know JJ can't use hearsay, but the defendant should have gotten something clearer from the Water Authority.

• Love 1

I love that they had to exclude deaths caused by fire ant bites after being pushed down by a dog. Great. Now I gotta put that on my list of things to worry about.

Y'all - I am allergic to fire ant venom - it's similar to bee sting venom (which I'm also allergic to). Like Epipen allergic. Once I was standing at a bus stop with my kids and stepped into a big old ant pile and got a bunch of bites and ended up wheezing like a steam engine. Had to use my inhaler and get a shot and take Benadryl. It would be a terrible surprise to a dog attack to end up in a fire ant bed. #themoreyouknow

I was out of town at my daughter's house and ended up watching the guy with the purplish hair suing the large faced stinky hoarder roommate with the teensy orange bow in her hair today. I swear I could practically SMELL them through the screen. 

• Love 5

Yes, we add "-es" to show the plural of SOME words

You need to catch up. We now use an apostrophe before the final "s" in nearly every word because we have no idea there's a difference between "possessive" and "plural" and don't know what the apostrophe mean's. We may be third year law student's but we don't know that! If anyone try's to tell us, we'll titter and roll our eye's at the foolish, prehistoric grammar Nazi's! Now let's get back to our Facebook wall's!

• Love 8
2 hours ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

Y'all - I am allergic to fire ant venom - it's similar to bee sting venom (which I'm also allergic to). Like Epipen allergic.

Nature is our mortal enemy! 

I've been plowing through some old, saved JJs on the DVR hoping I could free up space by deleting some and I just can't. There's some doozies -- I'll have to start posting pictures of the more awful litigants (girl with faked cancer, guy who was supposed to sell jewelry for his girlfriend with actual cancer but would up pawning it for himself, etc.) along with their names so the Internet will never forget. 

4 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

Nature is our mortal enemy! 

I've been plowing through some old, saved JJs on the DVR hoping I could free up space by deleting some and I just can't. There's some doozies -- I'll have to start posting pictures of the more awful litigants (girl with faked cancer, guy who was supposed to sell jewelry for his girlfriend with actual cancer but would up pawning it for himself, etc.) along with their names so the Internet will never forget. 

Yay!

(girl with faked cancer, guy who was supposed to sell jewelry for his girlfriend with actual cancer but would up pawning it for himself, etc.)

Yes, a bunch festering boils they are, but don't forget the No.1 fuckerbitch of all time - Greaseball Mommy from Hell, who stood there with Sonny Boy (who never missed a meal) suing the grieving mother whose daughter was killed in GBMH's car (in which the keys were left for the kids to take it for a spin) for the cost of the beater car. Nothing JJ said could wring one iota of shame or humanity from her. Pure psychopath.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Greaseball Mommy from Hell, who stood there with Sonny Boy (who never missed a meal) suing the grieving mother whose daughter was killed in GBMH's car (in which the keys were left for the kids to take it for a spin) for the cost of the beater car. Nothing JJ said could wring one iota of shame or humanity from her. Pure psychopath.

UGH!!! They were on two DVRs ago. :( 

Viacom (that's her producer, right?) is super litigious about their property. Not that they make old episodes available anywhere (except for the two lame JJ DVDs they published) for people to watch either. 

Why aren't those treasures on YouTube?

They are - or were - but you have to be quick or lucky to see them. As GiantMisfit says, super litigious. Yeah, it's not as though they're losing money from DVD sales if people watch these eps on YT, because there aren't any. When I come across any I haven't seen I d/l them quickly.

• Love 1

I'm playing catch up here because we just hit back from vacation (Cozumel, and it was great). Anyway, I wanted to comment about dog breeds because we seem to be getting a lot more cases.  I think that we will see even more because I think they actually interest Judge Judy so the spotters are told to look for those cases especially.  Just like we saw a glut of cell phone cases for a couple of years and then.....poof, no more because both JJ and Judge Millian said "no more!"

Almost two years ago we looked for a reputable breeder of Labs.  My son is hearing impaired and the dog is now in the process of becoming trained to be a hearing assist dog for him, looking to his future of going away to college and not living with us.  We wanted a Lab specifically because of their generations of breeding in working with people and kindly nature.  We went to the breeder's home, had to bring our own references etc.. We met our dog's mother and grandmother and liked how friendly and calm they were.  We also read about the dog's father and read the health records for clearance from some problems Labs are prone to.

What really amazes me is some of her instinctual behavior.  We never set out to train her to retrieve, but she does so purely out of instinct.  She will also need to be able to pull my son out of bed (in case of fire) and my God this dog can pull literally hundreds of pounds once she gets a good grip with her teeth.  This breed originally pulled full fishing nets in Newfoundland. We took her home when she was eight weeks old, and I spent the next several months exposing her to as many people and situations that we could.  We also played sound effects to her of thunder, construction trucks, parades etc.. 

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to share why my family, who has rescue cats, made the choice for a bred dog for a specific purpose. We love both the dog, and the cats (but I fear the cats do not love the dog).

• Love 19
1 hour ago, NYCFree said:

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to share why my family, who has rescue cats, made the choice for a bred dog for a specific purpose. We love both the dog, and the cats (but I fear the cats do not love the dog).

I guess most people forget that there is a place for purebreed working dogs.  Some farmers still use sheep dogs, certain breeds are better drug sniffing dogs and as you mention, service dogs. I am sure there are more but can't think of any.  But you got your dog from a reputable breeder, probably someone who really loves dogs too (wants your credentials too!) and doesn't think they are a thing to keep breeding until there is no use left for them. Just curious, are you still training her or does she get trained at a place comparable to the seeing eye institute for a while and then returned to you?

• Love 2

Dogs are weird.  Our Lab mix never learned to fetch but he would point.  Sadie, the retriever-poodle mix  fetched almost from the time she could see.

Today's tree case -- did the gardener also cut branches on the Black Belt's side of the wall?  It looked like he did.  That tree did look dead.  Why don't neighbors just talk to each other about this shit? 

Anyone else notice the gardener refer to the couple as "my owners"?  I thought that was strange.

• Love 2

Derek the argumentative driver is the defendant I want if I'm ever playing Judge Judy bingo: drinking, arguing with his girlfriend, ignoring the traffic signs showing a 20 minute stop for alternating traffic due to construction, plus the 30+ cars backed up waiting, hits another car, claims that car - which was in that line of 30+ stopped cars - cut him off, doesn't remember talking to the cops, doesn't remember telling the cops he was arguing and drinking, argues with JJ, doesn't think he's at fault for an accident that totals both cars, and was offended that he was cited for reckless driving! And the bingo free slot - no insurance.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, AuntiePam said:

Dogs are weird.  Our Lab mix never learned to fetch but he would point.  Sadie, the retriever-poodle mix  fetched almost from the time she could see.

Today's tree case -- did the gardener also cut branches on the Black Belt's side of the wall?  It looked like he did.  That tree did look dead.  Why don't neighbors just talk to each other about this shit? 

Anyone else notice the gardener refer to the couple as "my owners"?  I thought that was strange.

The company that does our lawn and tree care also refers to us as my owners.

• Love 1

My understanding is that some folks are trying to bring the standard poodle back to their roots as a hunting/retieving dog. 

Why not talk to the neighbor of 25 years before trimming his tree? I can see wanting to trim a neighbor's tree back to the property line, but not without notification and setting up how to clean any debris which might fall into their yard. I didn't see any pictures which showed straight up at the property line, so couldn't tell how close to the line it was cut. Really, defendant's pictures looked worse to me than the plaintiff's. When you look closely, you can see that the gardener trimmed the branches improperly. He let the weight of the trimmed branch swing the branch tearing a strip of bark off the bottom of the branch he left in the tree. No way to judge scale from the pictures, it could have been an inch or six inch strip of bark ripped off which will need to be cleaned up. Oh, and that answers plaintiff's physics question. When a branch is cut it doesn't necessarily fall straight down. If cut like it looks like this guy did, it can form a pendulum and will swing back towards the base of the tree.

• Love 1

Why not talk to the neighbor of 25 years before trimming his tree?

Ol' Frank is just the kind the arrogant, condescending, smart-mouthed, hot-tempered A-hole I wouldn't want to talk to either.

He's an expert in everything - trees, physics, gravity (are physics and gravity the same thing?) Karate and who knows what else. Talking to him about anything would be an exercise in futility.

• Love 8

Here's a potentially excessively stupid question - why do so many litigants insist on not telling JJ what she needs to hear to actually rule on their case?

The guy who sold his motorcycle (I think) on Craiglist was particularly annoying to me, because he kept dancing around the subject of how he got so much more money than he was asking for, apparently without even having to part with the bike. No wonder Her Honor is always so cranky. I'm cranky just thinking about it.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, ElleMo said:

Just curious, are you still training her or does she get trained at a place comparable to the seeing eye institute for a while and then returned to you?

We are working with a trainer in our home setting and we do homework with her.  Sisko (the dog) will not have to accompany our son everywhere and guide him in all sorts of situations, as guide dogs do.  Her key functions will be to alert him to sounds such as a door bell, clock alarm and fire alarm. She will also have to be a canine good citizen (an actual program)  

It was several years ago, when we were in a hotel room together, that we realized he would need something in order to live independently.  The hotel had a false fire alarm go off at about 2 in the morning.  That thing BLARES to get everyone out of bed.  Our child just slept through it which really terrified me in terms of him going off to college.  Sisko will eventually be trained to physically pull him out of bed if she can't get him up first by nudging him in bed.  One of my friends thinks we are being over protective, and that an RA could be "in charge" of getting our son out of a dorm room. I pointed out that I really didn't want to have to rely on a teenager to theoretically be responsible for getting my son out of a burning dorm, and be willing to overcome his or her own survival instinct by not leaving the dorm immediately instead.

• Love 10

I think the tree plaintiff may have had a valid point in there somewhere, but 1) it was obscured by him being an asshole, 1b) the bullshit assault claim didn't help any, and 2) considering that yes, people are allowed to trim whatever's hanging over their property line, it was going to be really hard to prove that the gardener cut too far. I'd think at the very least he would have needed better pictures than he had, like a shot that clearly shows where the property line is and where the branches were cut. Ideally, he would have also produced an expert witness re: pruning trees, someone who could say it was done improperly and caused damage to the tree, because as we all know, JJ doesn't read statements!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

Ol' Frank is just the kind the arrogant, condescending, smart-mouthed, hot-tempered A-hole I wouldn't want to talk to either.

He's an expert in everything - trees, physics, gravity (are physics and gravity the same thing?) Karate and who knows what else. Talking to him about anything would be an exercise in futility.

The Cliff Clavin of the neighborhood. 

Every sub-division has one.

Every sub-division has one.

Also every bar. I am actually a physicist but I avoid bar discussions where I am suffocated by waves of loud ignorance. Because the louder you talk the more correct you are. Which is why I think bars should have mini claymores installed so that the bartender can remove problems.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Ol' Frank was getting red-faced and fisty-handed right there in court!  I wouldn't talk to him either!  He was giving death-eyes to JJ.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Ol' Frank was getting red-faced and fisty-handed right there in court!  I wouldn't talk to him either!  He was giving death-eyes to JJ.

I got "angry, dry drunk" vibes from that one. 

• Love 5

I got "angry, dry drunk" vibes from that one.

I think that's partially due to his Nick Nolte-esque appearance.

Of course I had to look up Frank Morehead on the old IMDB since he claimed he was a "propmaster." Dude's had six jobs in 23 years. That's six individual jobs in all that time. (One of those jobs was as a greensman, oddly enough, on the John Adams mini series.) I guess he uses all his free time to learn about physics and to practice his black-belt-level karate. 

I particularly enjoyed his "PROPERTY RIGHTS! I BELIEVE IN PROPERTY RIGHTS!" spiel during the hallterview. Simmer down there, douchelord. This ain't a Supreme Court issue. Jesus with the bumper crop of thin-skinned bullies these days -- not every slight annoyance is a goddamned reason to go to war.