Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: All Rise

Message added by Meredith Quill

Community Manager Note

Official notice that the topic of Sean DeMarco is off limits. If you have 1-on-1 thoughts to complete please take it to PM with each other.

If you have questions, contact the forum moderator @PrincessPurrsALot.  Do not discuss this limit to this discussion in here. Doing so will result in a warning. 

• Start Topic

Those parents... OMG!  And this case probably only scratched the surface!  That young woman sounded done with her parents and on her way to a lifetime of "no contact" along with her similarly traumatized siblings.  Did I get that right?  None of the kids were allowed on their property?

The mother sounded like a lunatic, borderline personality disorder, maybe?  While the father was like some bovine religious control freak.  What a pair!

I hope the kids cut ties and set themselves free.

• Love 10

The mother sounded like a lunatic, borderline personality disorder, maybe?  While the father was like some bovine religious control freak. 

Okay, and with that - I can't wait any longer. Must... watch... NOW.

• Love 6

I had to take a break and have yet to see lunatic mother and bovine freak, because watching the flight attendant vs. Angel freaked me out enough.

SHE was in foreclosure and bankruptcy after her husband died. What to do? OH, I know - go and buy a car that has a 350$/mnth payment (because her other car has snow and stuff on it) then give it to Angel, the diminutive, BROKE, elvish personal trainer, but keep paying for him to drive it(!!) Makes sense. So, Angel, who is so important he cannot be out of cell phone reach for one minute reaches for the cell phone to check if the battery is charged (just in case the president is trying to reach him?) and crashes plaintiff's car. His sister wants to be a witness about something or other, but merely rambles on like an idiot  about this and that until she's ordered to "SIT."  Is everyone crazy?

• Love 4

The mother sounded like a lunatic, borderline personality disorder, maybe?  While the father was like some bovine religious control freak.  What a pair!

They were DEFINITELY right up there with the fundy parents who sued their dead gay son's friends for the return of his "eyeglasses" and "computer" so they could have "something" of his even though they never bothered to visit or talk to him when he was alive. JJ told those two evil fucks to go pound sand. The hatred she had for those two was as palpable as the hatred she has for today's funda-mental patients.

1 hour ago, Toaster Strudel said:

Those parents... OMG!  And this case probably only scratched the surface!  That young woman sounded done with her parents and on her way to a lifetime of "no contact" along with her similarly traumatized siblings.  Did I get that right?  None of the kids were allowed on their property?

Glad daughter escaped from the home - I suspect verbal/mental abuse. Her posture and demeanor were just off to me.

1 hour ago, Toaster Strudel said:

I hope the kids cut ties and set themselves free.

Does mom really think daughter is unable to recognize the difference from a black cat and a white cat? Or, was she saying daughter was lying? Which means brother was also lying. 

I agree JJ did the legal split the child Solomon type ruling, but I kind of wish she had given the girl option of buying out Dad's portion of the car.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, SRTouch said:

I agree JJ did the legal split the child Solomon type ruling, but I kind of wish she had given the girl option of buying out Dad's portion of the car.

I was bummed that she would have to go and buy a car.....but I'm wondering if JJ chose the wisest option because she thought that the parents would screw with the car before giving it back. I wouldn't doubt that Richard and Victoria would do something so the car would run for a few blocks and then die or burst into flames. Those two were extremists. They'd cook up some scheme. 

I admire Melissa for being so strong. It's good that she has older siblings in her camp. It's not easy (mentally) to break free from controlling parents. 

• Love 10

I'm confused.  I really didn't understand JJ's hostility towards the flight attendant whose car was wrecked by her friend(?).  She didn't make good financial decisions but neither does most of the litigants we see on this show.  Angel admitted he was at fault, he got ticketed for the accident, the car was (under)insured, and there was a shortfall in the insurance payments.  Why JJ was hung up on the woman making the car and insurance payments doesn't make sense to me.  The accident obviously happened so they weren't trying to scam the show. I don't understand why she would dismiss case.  I must have missed something, could someone please filled me in.

• Love 1

I don't understand why she would dismiss case.  I must have missed something, could someone please filled me in.

Well, and this is JMO, the woman was making no sense at all. The things she did, the reasons she did them - she was in serious financial difficulty but buys a car and then just gives it Angel, but keeps paying for it herself AND paying for insurance for HIM for nearly a year. A nonsensical story that no one could believe. Obviously something else was going on, but the more she said the more ridiculous it sounded. If JJ can't get to the truth, she dismisses the case.

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Well, and this is JMO, the woman was making no sense at all. The things she did, the reasons she did them - she was in serious financial difficulty but buys a car and then just gives it Angel, but keeps paying for it herself AND paying for insurance for HIM for nearly a year. A nonsensical story that no one could believe. Obviously something else was going on, but the more she said the more ridiculous it sounded. If JJ can't get to the truth, she dismisses the case.

Yep, my understanding is that the woman needed to convince JJ by a preponderance of evidence that her story made sense, and her story just didn't ring true to me. And if the plaintiff in small claims isn't making sense, they haven't met their burden.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Exactly so.  She didn't make sense at all.  Who would DO that?

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Cynna said:

Could someone help me out on this? I can't for the life of me figure out what the girl says the teacher said. 16 times I've replayed it now, and it sounds like "She ask me was I senning a ______ in for glog glinnets". Please save my PVR's back button and my sanity.

Ey coddent unerstant a thin any of them shed.

• Love 8

The mother sounded like a lunatic, borderline personality disorder, maybe?  While the father was like some bovine religious control freak. 

Finally watched this and really don't know what to say except that I have to disagree with you, Toaster. Dad was not bovine. He was porcine.

A minister? Not surprising since he's so sympathetic, understanding, forgiving and generous.

Oh, and if I had taken our cat when I moved out of my mother's place, she wouldn't have called the police. She'd have danced a jig of happiness.

• Love 11
6 hours ago, CoolWhipLite said:

The parents did not want Melissa to have that cat. The mother claimed Melissa was confusing this cat, Zaccheus, with Abednego, a cat from when she was younger (Oh Lawd, biblical cat names). The mother also tried to say that the car was hers, not her daughter's. JJ wouldn't hear it. JJ made Melissa sign the title over to her father, and she made her father pay Melissa half the value of the car. This probably will turn out to be a favor to Melissa, as it decreases her financial ties to her controlling parents, and eliminates the car being used as a tool for manipulation. Mother played the victim in the hallterview.

And on a snarky note....Melissa's parents said they wanted to instill responsibility in their children. That's all well and good....but they should have thrown in some guidance about posture. Then again, maybe Melissa slumps a bit because of her shaaaame over the eeeevils of sex.

It was a bit amusing that the mother pronounced the cat Abednego's name as though it were spelled Abendego. If she wants to be a first-rate Bible-thumper, she really needs to learn to pronounce the main and supporting characters' names correctly.

I felt sorry for the offspring, too.  The parents reminded me a bit of a family by the name of Jeub, who used to be on TLC, in terms of how they treated their children.

• Love 6

Those parents were heinous! When JJ asked the son when he moved out of the parent's house, he said he was forced out at age 17. Poor kid probably had a thought of his own, so they gave him the boot. I'm glad the siblings are close and can depend on each other for support to deal with the fallout from being raised by bible thumping lunatics. 

I noticed the name Yoder, as well. It's an extremely common Amish name, too.

• Love 11
9 hours ago, CoolWhipLite said:

And on a snarky note....Melissa's parents said they wanted to instill responsibility in their children. That's all well and good....but they should have thrown in some guidance about posture. Then again, maybe Melissa slumps a bit because of her shaaaame over the eeeevils of sex.

Her big brother looked like he was frozen in a cringing position too, which I will swear is entirely due to being in the same room as those parents. Look at how Melissa starts to smile at her mom's outrageous lies, and then cuts herself off. Damn, those parents are a piece of work. You can just see everything JJ says bouncing off their skulls.

My father would have been on their side, but then he was a total ass too. When I was 18 and home from college for a weekend, I went off to karate class. He came in and dragged me out because I'd "snuck out" - I'd left around 10 AM and the rest of the house was asleep, was I supposed to be rude and wake them up? - and then got pulled over for speeding. So there he was, trying to justify the speeding to the cop because he was "upset" about his "problem daughter", and the cop comes to look in the car, and I'm looking as innocent as possible in my nice karate uniform. Yeah, so he didn't talk his way out of that ticket.

• Love 7

The cat case with the siblings and the minister mom and dad marks the first time I've ever cried at an episode of JJ. I am all too familiar with that sort of family and the pressure involved and could see all of the telltale signs in the siblings for what they have been through. I felt so bad for them. I am glad they have each other and hopefully they can steer clear of those horrible, controlling parents.

• Love 14
(edited)
1 hour ago, goodbyeglittergirl said:

The cat case with the siblings and the minister mom and dad marks the first time I've ever cried at an episode of JJ. I am all too familiar with that sort of family and the pressure involved and could see all of the telltale signs in the siblings for what they have been through. I felt so bad for them. I am glad they have each other and hopefully they can steer clear of those horrible, controlling parents.

What a sad case that was.

They were beyond controlling. Who the hell sues their child over a freaking cat?* The kids would all be better off staying away from both of those nutjobs. They're the kind of parents I imagine Ted and Heidi Cruz would be.

Does it scare anyone else that it's only the fundies who seem to be doing the whole fruitful and multiply thing? We're either going to have an overabundance of religious nuts or an overabundance of kids who've severed all ties with their parents. For the sake of the kids, and this country,  I hope it's the latter and not the former.

*Of course, it wasn't about the cat; they were appalled that their daughter was having sex. They should be; we all know they weren't teaching her anything about protection!

Edited by teebax
  • Love 8
10 hours ago, Rick Kitchen said:

I wonder if that family was Mennonite.  The older daughter's married name was Yoder.

My thoughts too.

That was a really sad case.

• Love 3

Please don't use phonetic slang talk.  I know you're doing it for comedic effect, but it's hard to read.  Thanks.

i got the feeling that JJ was mad at the flight attendant because she had opted for minimum coverage on the vehicle, and it didn't even cover the amount still owed to the bank/finance company.  That was one of the things she saw as irresponsible, and it affected someone other than the plaintiff.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, goodbyeglittergirl said:

Good grief, what was wrong with that girl!?! Leaving that poor kitty cat in the clutches of mom and dad for two months. I mean she took her gold fish when she moved, and left the kitty. And mom is the one who thinks a teenager with at least a 3.0 GPA can't recognize her cat she's had for 8 years.

And yes, I'm a crazy cat old man. As I type two cats are on my recliner, and have 5 total.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, DoctorK said:

So you have two cats helping you type and three slackers just goofing off?

Actually, the two boys monitoring the birds, since I put out seed already this morning.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, SRTouch said:

Good grief, what was wrong with that girl!?! Leaving that poor kitty cat in the clutches of mom and dad for two months. I mean she took her gold fish when she moved, and left the kitty. And mom is the one who thinks a teenager with at least a 3.0 GPA can't recognize her cat she's had for 8 years.

And yes, I'm a crazy cat old man. As I type two cats are on my recliner, and have 5 total.

The girl had to come back to the house when the parents were not there to rescue her cat.  They wouldn't allow her to take it.

• Love 6

The flight attendant should have gone with a different story.  If she hadn't claimed financial hardship, maybe JJ would have sympathized.  The story should have been "It was a second car.  I didn't need it.  I loaned it to a friend, who said he'd like to buy it when he got back on his feet.  Before that happened, he wrecked it."  JJ would still have dismissed the case, because the car's owner is the one responsible for the car and she should have had full coverage, not just liability, but she wouldn't have accused the woman of lying. 

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, Brattinella said:

The girl had to come back to the house when the parents were not there to rescue her cat.  They wouldn't allow her to take it.

All kidding aside, the whole thing with the cat was an attempt by the Dad to control the girl. I think Mom has a whole other set of issues and resentment towards the daughter - hence her "it was my car" and "it was my cat". I think Dad was a bully to the whole family (and he tried to intimidate the responding cop into arresting the girl). Mom, OTOH, is damaged by the Dad's abuse of the whole family, and needs to be leave Dad if she has any hope of reconnecting with any of the kids.

Edited by SRTouch
Correction
  • Love 5

^^^ I absolutely agree the case had nothing to do with the cat and everything to do with control. Whether Dad was a bully to everyone including Mom or they were made for each other from the get-go, I have no idea. If they were part of some super-devout, tight knit community (as many of us are supposing) they are likely cut from the same scary cloth.

I'd be curious to know if any of their other four children gives them the time of day. I believe they said something about telling the neighbor not to let any of the kids in the house, so perhaps not. They were odious. The audience was squirming in their seats much as I was squirming at home. I really wanted to reach through my screen and smack them (the parents, not the audience.) I hope one day defendant daughter feels free enough to stand up straight and hold her chin up.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, Brattinella said:

In the hallterview, the 'Mother' was saying her goal in life is "Restoring The Family!"

The kids: "Nope. Nope.Nope.Nope.Nope.Nope"

What a horrific way to grow up!

I flipped her off at that. May she be like my father: when I was 30, I got a birthday card with a self-pitying note about how I'd been "ignoring him for 1/3 of my life". Damn straight. Isn't math lovely? Had an unlisted address after that, so no card when I was 40. Five years later I got one from a friend of his saying he was dying and wanted to "reconcile". Well, try figuring out what you should apologize for first, and then do it, and then I still won't care.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

JJ would still have dismissed the case, because the car's owner is the one responsible for the car and she should have had full coverage, not just liability,

I lost my car in college because, as a college student in the days before JJ or even the Internet, it did not occur to me that there might be a form of insurance that didn't cover your own car! But it was a 10 year old Grand Prix, I had Geico, and they only did liability on cars over 10.

• Love 2

They were from Portland Oregon area.  I was able to find a Facebook page for both of them and an Linkin for him plus their Ministry.  (I feel like such a stalker).  They are not Mennonite.

• Love 4

The art work in the trunk of the car -- I think the art was damaged when an employee tossed the bag (with gym shoes) in the trunk, but JJ was right -- they shouldn't have left a valuable item in the trunk, especially one that was fragile.  And I think the detail shop owner was lying about the items found in the car.  I sort of wanted JJ to find for the plaintiffs, so she could ask to prove the value.  I also wanted to see the painting.  At least the plaintiffs knew to (mostly) shut up and listen when JJ was talking.

Unlike Ms. Vick, the neighbor who took the puppy to the vet.  Even when JJ was obviously on her side, she couldn't stop talking!  I believe that she did a GoFundMe page.  Why would the defendants lie about that?   

25 pound chihuahua! 

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

The art work in the trunk of the car -- I think the art was damaged when an employee tossed the bag (with gym shoes) in the trunk, but JJ was right -- they shouldn't have left a valuable item in the trunk, especially one that was fragile.  And I think the detail shop owner was lying about the items found in the car.  I sort of wanted JJ to find for the plaintiffs, so she could ask to prove the value.  I also wanted to see the painting.  At least the plaintiffs knew to (mostly) shut up and listen when JJ was talking.

Unlike Ms. Vick, the neighbor who took the puppy to the vet.  Even when JJ was obviously on her side, she couldn't stop talking!  I believe that she did a GoFundMe page.  Why would the defendants lie about that?   

25 pound chihuahua! 

I suspect that it is more of a case of why would they only be telling the truth about the GoFundMe.  If they had proof that it existed they would have brought it and said "See she isn't out of pocket. 

• Love 3

It's a good think Little Miss Irresponsible Owner of the chawwaah works with numbers and not with words:  "The dog digged under the fence", she texted her neighbour "numerous of times".....   In addition to being inarticulate, she was dumb as a box of hair.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, speac said:

They were from Portland Oregon area.  I was able to find a Facebook page for both of them and an Linkin for him plus their Ministry.  (I feel like such a stalker).  They are not Mennonite.

Thank you!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Brattinella said:

I've been trying to do some deeper sleuthing, and cannot find the Kingsburys at all!  Did anyone catch city, state, church name?

I went down the FB rabbit hole of Kingsburys yesterday. When I get curious, there's no stopping me. Looks like all of the kids have severed ties in the past few years. Several of the kids, in true fundy fashion, have gotten married very young. The good thing, though, is that they don't seem to share their parents' divisive viewpoints. And I gave a hearty eyeroll to the mother's victim/martyr post about one of her son's birthdays --- a poor-quality picture with the message, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY JACOB, WHEREVER YOU ARE" (her caps, not mine). If my mother and her husband lived in their neighborhood, they'd probably all sit on the front porch together...the mothers would whine about how wronged they are in life; and the men would spew all the racist, political, and indoctrinated religious opinions that make me want to punch something. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, AuntiePam said:

25 pound chihuahua! 

JJ put it in perspective with her jewelry analogy. Artwork, jewelry, laptop, fur coat, whatever...don't leave something worth $3600 in your trunk at a carwash.  And $3600 is just what the artist was asking.  Doesn't mean it's worth that much to anyone except him. 

I noticed that the wife testified something to the effect that they "obviously" damaged the painting tossing the bag in the trunk.  In the interview at the end, the husband said they damaged it when they closed the trunk on it.

Also...why 6 dinnerware forks in a car?

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Jamoche said:

May she be like my father: when I was 30, I got a birthday card with a self-pitying note about how I'd been "ignoring him for 1/3 of my life". Damn straight. Isn't math lovely? Had an unlisted address after that, so no card when I was 40. Five years later I got one from a friend of his saying he was dying and wanted to "reconcile". Well, try figuring out what you should apologize for first, and then do it, and then I still won't care.

Yay! My hero/ine! No sense in living your life always trying to salvage a relationship with a parent who was nothing but a toxic drag on your life. I hadn't spoken to my father in 20 years. He died last year. Eh. Makes no difference in my life -- and I'm eternally grateful I didn't waste my adult life trying to have some relationship with someone who never wanted one with me while I was a kid.  I hope those former fundie kids continue to follow the same path of removing themselves from their parents' orbit. They're lives will be much healthier and happier.

Could not deal with the irresponsible dog owners today. If you can't spay/neuter your pets, and can't afford to provide basic veterinary care, don't have any. Pet ownership is not a RIGHT. That's like me waltzing into a Tesla dealer and demanding a car. "No, Mr. Salesman, I can't afford to buy it and I can't afford to maintain it, but I *want* it so please give it to me."

4 hours ago, Brattinella said:

I've been trying to do some deeper sleuthing, and cannot find the Kingsburys at all!  Did anyone catch city, state, church name?

I was hoping one of you sleuths would!

2 hours ago, speac said:

Don't feel that way. They chose to go on a national show and air all of their lunacy. As far as I'm concerned, they're fair game. I didn't catch the last name, so I couldn't do any of my own investigating. What did you find out?

• Love 5

That chihuahua was really stupid slurping sideways chicken bones... dogs are too stupid to eat!  He should get a Darwin Award!  His mother had three puppies?  That's enough puppies!  Even guppies can have babies! Find another hobby, 25 lbs chihuahua!

• Love 4