Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: All Rise

Message added by Meredith Quill

Community Manager Note

Official notice that the topic of Sean DeMarco is off limits. If you have 1-on-1 thoughts to complete please take it to PM with each other.

If you have questions, contact the forum moderator @PrincessPurrsALot.  Do not discuss this limit to this discussion in here. Doing so will result in a warning. 

• Start Topic

Behemoth Betty Boop really had something to say, didn't she? Was it about her adorable 6 year old son? I wonder how she manages to squeeze in Boop-ing her hair while she's cooking meth in the electric fry pan in the garage. 

lovesnark - me too! Missed all of JJ becaouse of local coverage of tornado warnings and watches. Sounds like I missed some good ones.

Are you in South Florida? We got hit early yesterday morning by a rash of tornados (apparently I slept through the storm, the tornado warnings and the alarm and woke up an hour and a half late for work. I also had no internet at work for an entire DAY!!!! (the horrors!!) so I didn't realize we'd had tornados until I started watching my saved JJ episodes for the day. 

• Love 4

Loved the chicken case (not the fact that they were dead).

Made me think of the old song (I think it was Johnny Cash) "That Dirty Ol' Egg Suckin' Dog"

One good thing: at least there was no chicken rape involved (please don't speculate about Old McDonald!)

• Love 3

Today's episodes are already fading from memory, except for Mee-Shay-La (sp?), the 18-year-old whose friends were all jelly because she had a car and was going to college.  One of her ex-friends borrowed an aunt's car, drove it to MeeShayLa's house and keyed MeeShayLa's car.  Sadly for the ex-friend, someone caught the license number.

I had high hopes for the co-signed car loan case -- "I didn't know she didn't have a license until I started dating her husband!" -- but JJ didn't get into any of the personal stuff.  Dammit. 

A couple of boring landlord-tenant cases too.  Zahdii, you didn't miss much.

• Love 3

I had high hopes for the co-signed car loan case -- "I didn't know she didn't have a license until I started dating her husband!" -- but JJ didn't get into any of the personal stuff.  Dammit.

As always, Facebook is a treasure trove of information......

• Love 1
QuoteQuote

I went, "Whuh?" at "the car insured itself."

I know! That was the best part of the cases today. I immediately got a mental image of something like this:

57KNxXO.png

Behemoth Betty Boop really had something to say, didn't she? Was it about her adorable 6 year old son? I wonder how she manages to squeeze in Boop-ing her hair while she's cooking meth in the electric fry pan in the garage.

OMG, stop! I just ate and the hysterical laughter that provoked is giving me indigestion.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 5

Weather conditions are causing my signal to cut in and out so badly I can't tell just what's going on. If anyone cares to provide recaps, I'd appreciate it.

1st case, ep 1: mom with no credit and no license gets friend of daughter, who was living with them, to put car in her name. After driving it for a year, they have falling out and daughter's friend calls finance company and has car repo'ed. According to mom there were only 2 payments, totally $500, left when repo'ed. JJ catches both in multiple lies, and refuses to help either side, except making plaintiff pay for her own tickets.

2nd case: stepdad and wife suing stepdaughter and new husband. JJ doesn't place much value in the relationship between stepdad and stepdaughter, despite fact that stepdad has been her dad since she was 2yo. First part of suit stepdad and wife paid $2000+ for new husband's DUI fines, which he's been ignoring for years. 2nd part of suit is $700 puppy the young couple agreed to pay for in text message. Third and last portion of lawsuit is about wedding expenses, for which there are no receipts. Pretty simple ruling. New husband has to pay his own fines, has live up to agreement to pay for puppy, and nothing awarded for wedding expenses with no receipts.

I was left feeling sorry for stepdaughter. Wedding planned for same weekend stepdad's wife has something planned with her horse. Big fight over who should change plans. Stepdaughter feels betrayed when stepdad doesn't come to wedding to walk her down aisle. I blame stepdad's wife, who said in the beginning that the stepdaughter was nothing to her. She's been with stepdad for 15 years and he's been acting as dad since she was 2yo, and stepdaughter is "nothing to me."

2 ep 1st case: group of spoiled teenager girlfriends get drunk at party and start feuding for stupid childish reasons, which culminates in vandalism of car. Unfortunately for the vandals, they were spotted and license plate of car they were in traced back to one girl. Maybe not enough evidence for criminal case, but enough for a civil case. Plaintiff gets part what she wanted from the girl who was traced through the plate.

Last case is tenant landlord case. How many times have we heard that you owe rent if you are there part of the month? According to the tenant he gave notice he was leaving Aug 27, but the landlord says it was 3 Sept. He left the place a mess, so in addition to Sept rent landlord wants cleaning fees. Landlord awarded rent and $100 for cleaning. Tenant has countersuit for property left behind, and defamation. He says he forgot the antique knife he's suing for, and JJ says it was abandoned property and landlord was within her rights to throw it out when cleaning on 20 Sept. Tenant and landlord were coworkers, and tenant says she was bad mouthing him at work, calling him a slob. JJ says best defense against defamation is the truth, and she would have called him a slob, too, after seeing pictures of how he left apartment.

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 5

He left the place a mess, so in addition to Sept rent landlord wants cleaning fees.

I could hardly pay attention to the same old/same old (deadbeat, slob tenant) particulars of the case, because my mind was so boggled thinking that out there is a woman who CHOSE to have sex with the defendant. My befuddlement increased when he said, "My son" and had me reeling that he could make a baby.

• Love 2

Tenant and landlord were coworkers, and tenant says she was bad mouthing him at work, calling him a slob. JJ says best defense against defamation is the truth, and she would have called him a slob, too, after seeing pictures of how he left apartment.

He obviously felt he shouldn't be slob-shamed, which is probably why he was ridiculous enough to file a defamation suit.

• Love 3

2 ep 1st case: group of spoiled teenager girlfriends get drunk at party and start feuding for stupid childish reasons, which culminates in vandalism of car. Unfortunately for the vandals, they were spotted and license plate of car they were in traced back to one girl. Maybe not enough evidence for criminal case, but enough for a civil case. Plaintiff gets part what she wanted from the girl who was traced through the plate.

I love watching liars unravel. . . when that annoying half smile starts like a 4 year old with chocolate all over her face is hiding the Hershey bar behind her back. 

And I'm changing my name y'all.  If Michele can be called "Mee-shel-lay" then I shall be called " Pat-ttteee-ayyy" from now on. 

• Love 9

I accidentally erased the 2nd episode of JJ (I blame being sick!) so reading this is extra entertaining.  I think I would have liked seeing the MeeShaylee case.  And suing for defamation because you were called a slob?  lol  I will go on the record right now and claim my slobbishness here in public.  However, I own my place, so I only offend myself.  I do have to unclutter since I will be doing a renovation though. 

Edited by AlleC17
  • Love 2

First episode -- Pompous Mr. Salinas did a half-assed roofing job and plaintiffs Mr. and Mrs. Knight ended up with water damage in their home. Mr. Salinas used a "reroofing" method, but he didn't explain that term in the contract. The job cost $26,000, which made me immediately send up a prayer that I won't have to replace my roof anytime soon. Mr. Knight said that Mr. Salinas asked for more money, and at that point, Mr. Knight told him to get lost. An ex-employee of Salinas was a witness for Mr. and Mrs. Knight. Mr. Knight kept mentioning "the 2-year-old's" room, trying to lay it on thick for sympathy. JJ hated Salinas from the get-go, so there was no need for all of that.

Second episode -- First things first, I kept wondering how the dowdy girl with the rainbow thread in her hair scored a first row seat in the gallery.

Defendant Monica Gutierrez has a boutique in a bowling alley. Kerry Kelly Chilcot sells jewelry and paid Monica to rent the bowling alley boutique. Monica had to change Kerry's dates because there weren't many parties scheduled those nights for the bowling alley (so Kerry would have less money). Scheduling issues ensued, and JJ told Monica to give Kerry her money back.

Second episode, case 2--- My phone rang, so all I saw were some wonky teeth, a chest tat, a spaghetti perm, and a bad shade of lipstick.

Second episode, case 3 -- Mr. Lovejoy cut down some oak trees on Mr. Stambaugh's property. Mr. Lovejoy was allowed to take the wood from smaller trees. He didn't finish the job properly, and I don't know why this case was seen as interesting enough to air. Actually, all of today's cases were less than exciting. I guess Mr. Salinas' attitude had some entertainment value, but JJ didn't really freak out on him.

• Love 2

First episode -- Pompous Mr. Salinas did a half-assed roofing job and plaintiffs Mr. and Mrs. Knight ended up with water damage in their home. Mr. Salinas used a "reroofing" method, but he didn't explain that term in the contract. The job cost $26,000, which made me immediately send up a prayer that I won't have to replace my roof anytime soon. Mr. Knight said that Mr. Salinas asked for more money, and at that point, Mr. Knight told him to get lost. An ex-employee of Salinas was a witness for Mr. and Mrs. Knight. Mr. Knight kept mentioning "the 2-year-old's" room, trying to lay it on thick for sympathy. JJ hated Salinas from the get-go, so there was no need for all of that.

The $26K included building a new garage, so that's not so bad.  Sounds like the job was connecting the new garage to the house, and joining the roofs of both structures.  Brand new roof on the new garage, and fixing the shingles on the connection so they matched up, preventing leaks where the roofs were joined.

I agree with JJ's ruling but it looked to me like one of Mr. Salinas' employees overstepped.  I'm not a roofer but I understand "re-roof" to mean new shingles, not a whole new roof.  JJ's comment about putting new shingles over old -- "like putting clean clothes on over dirty underwear" -- not so.  It's acceptable to have three layers of shingles on a roof.  When the third layer goes bad, then it's time for a whole new roof.

I think Mr. Salinas' employee -- Chris -- went to the job, started tearing all the shingles off the roof of the house, and Mr. Salinas didn't have the money to buy new shingles or to pay his team to do a new roof. 

• Love 8

Another bad contractor case. I wouldn't hire the sad sack contractor MM had on this morning to do anything. I understand the plaintiff's favorable first impression of Mr Salinas, but when he started trying to explain the contract by line number he lost me. I found his attempts to educate JJ irritating, especially his repeated "hand raising" and attempts interrupt.

Second episode -- Defendant Monica Gutierrez has a boutique in a bowling alley. Kerry Kelly Chilcot sells jewelry and paid Monica to rent the bowling alley boutique. Monica had to change Kerry's dates because there weren't many parties scheduled those nights for the bowling alley (so Kerry would have less money). Scheduling issues ensued, and JJ told Monica to give Kerry her money back.

Another litigant who thought "NO REFUND" in the contract allowed them to keep the money even when they don't fulfill their part of the contract. Defendant couldn't believe JJ threw out the whole contract. I actually would have given the plaintiff something for the night she traveled an hour to find the event had been canceled.

Countersuit for slander was a hoot.

Defendant "she called me irresponsible"

JJ "you canceled an event without notice - you are irresponsible"

• Love 3

The $26K included building a new garage, so that's not so bad.  Sounds like the job was connecting the new garage to the house, and joining the roofs of both structures.  Brand new roof on the new garage, and fixing the shingles on the connection so they matched up, preventing leaks where the roofs were joined.

I agree with JJ's ruling but it looked to me like one of Mr. Salinas' employees overstepped.  I'm not a roofer but I understand "re-roof" to mean new shingles, not a whole new roof.  JJ's comment about putting new shingles over old -- "like putting clean clothes on over dirty underwear" -- not so.  It's acceptable to have three layers of shingles on a roof.  When the third layer goes bad, then it's time for a whole new roof.

I had the same reaction, but would add that the number of layers is a matter of local building code. Here it takes a permit to reshingle a roof. An inspection is needed before you start with new shingles to determine if the roof deck will support another layer.
  • Love 6

I had the same reaction, but would add that the number of layers is a matter of local building code. Here it takes a permit to reshingle a roof. An inspection is needed before you start with new shingles to determine if the roof deck will support another layer.

That makes sense.  The town I live in is so small -- "How small is it?" -- there is no building code.  Also no zoning.  We have to follow the State code, but unless an action is prohibited by the State, we can do whatever we want.  Anarchy! 

The tree case -- elderly couple hired a guy to cut down a big tree and a few smaller trees, in exchange for free wood.  The jerk takes the small pieces of wood and leaves huge chunks for the old folks to deal with.  I hate people taking advantage of seniors.  JJ gave the couple $300, which was what they thought it would cost for someone to deal with those big chunks.

Around here, oak trees are cut and sold as lumber -- not firewood.  That couple might have been able to make some money if they'd sold that tree as lumber.

• Love 6

The tree case -- elderly couple hired a guy to cut down a big tree and a few smaller trees, in exchange for free wood.  The jerk takes the small pieces of wood and leaves huge chunks for the old folks to deal with.  I hate people taking advantage of seniors.  JJ gave the couple $300, which was what they thought it would cost for someone to deal with those big chunks.

Around here, oak trees are cut and sold as lumber -- not firewood.  That couple might have been able to make some money if they'd sold that tree as lumber.

Jerk is right! Did he even stop to think how much those chunks of green oak weigh? No way that elderly couple will be able to move them. Part of the deal, as I understood it, was to stack part of the wood for them to use, and he just left a pile which will need to be cut, split, and stacked.
  • Love 5

Second episode, case 2--- My phone rang, so all I saw were some wonky teeth, a chest tat, a spaghetti perm, and a bad shade of lipstick.

The chest tat was mesmerizing. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out what the hell it was. It looked like a face, then a landscape, then, I don't know what. The lavender lipstick was doing it's best to distract me from figuring it out. Plaintiff had a host of health problems and defendant had been cleaning his house for a couple years and helped him pay his bills (with his money) when he was in the hospital or sick. Plaintiff brought his landlord as a witness and landlord affirmed that defendant used to deliver rent for plaintiff on the regular and stopped bringing it. Defendant had no defense, just shrugged her tattooed self and said she didn't know what they were talking about. Claimed she delivered several months rent. JJ didn't believe her and neither did I.

• Love 9

Around here, oak trees are cut and sold as lumber -- not firewood.

I know! I couldn't believe they were using it to burn. The couple could have called a lumber yard, and not a tree cutter - and told them to come and get it. I'm pretty sure they would be only too happy to do that. Huge oak trees are becoming a rarity.

In the roofer case, I agree that putting old shingles over new is certainly done. It cuts down costs if the old roof is inspected and found to be in good enough shape. If it was leaking afterwards then it wasn't.

I think what JJ was referring to is that it was not clear in the contract that was going to be done,  the contractor never told them and the plaintiffs expected the old to be removed. I had my roof redone a few years ago and my contract/bill stated removal of old shingles.

• Love 5

Regarding the bowling alley boutique, I initially thought it was a former bowling alley that was converted into an indoor market place with stalls for vendors. But no, this is JJ land. So naturally, a bowling alley that rents space to vendors when it's not being used as a bowling alley makes total sense.

The boob tat----I tried to figure out what the heck it was too. But then I took a good look at the plaintiff. He looked like Geoffrey on Fresh Prince of Bel Air, and I lost interest in Name That Tattoo and tried to remember the lyrics of the the Fresh Prince theme.

FYI: I was thumbing through a co-worker's mail order catalog and came across something called "head chain jewelry" (AngelaHunter erase that dirty thought right now!) and it looked like the thing Queen Esther wore. After more googling, I found body chain jewelry. I fear that will become the next fashion accessory of the well-dressed JJ litigant. :-(

• Love 4

So naturally, a bowling alley that rents space to vendors when it's not being used as a bowling alley makes total sense.

A high-end venue!

(AngelaHunter erase that dirty thought right now!)

What? I have many thoughts when watching this show, but I guarantee none of them are dirty.:p

The chest tat was mesmerizing. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out what the hell it was. It looked like a face, then a landscape, then, I don't know what. The lavender lipstick was doing it's best to distract me from figuring it out.

She was all kinds of distracting. I also kept staring at the chest tat and it was morphing as we speak. I thought maybe it was her baby but then it also looked suspiciously like that scary Chuckie doll so I was hoping her baby didn't look like Chuckie. 

The roof guy was shady x three. I thought re-roofing (and I've had my roof redone in the past) was to remove the layer of shingles, then inspect the wood and place new shingles over the wood (unless the wood was damaged - I had a tree go through my roof during Hurricane Wilma). I got the idea the head roofer wanted to shortcut the roofing job and his worker was technically doing the right thing and it pissed him off. 

• Love 2

FYI: I was thumbing through a co-worker's mail order catalog and came across something called "head chain jewelry" (AngelaHunter erase that dirty thought right now!) and it looked like the thing Queen Esther wore. After more googling, I found body chain jewelry. I fear that will become the next fashion accessory of the well-dressed JJ litigant. :-(

Head chain jewelry and body chain jewelry have been around for awhile, but it doesn't seem to gain much traction.

There are always some people who will try out the new and unsual for a time, and either keep it up for awhile or move on to other things.  Fashion is fluid.

A couple of years ago there was a pair of sisters (or friends) who appeared on Shark Tank wanting backing to expand on their line of such products.  They were going to garage sales and flea markets buying up vintage jewelry to repurpose into the head jewelry, and were expanding into the body chain jewelry.  They used as part of their sales pitch pictures of a few celebrities wearing their stuff, and used that as an example of how their jewelry line was about to become the next big thing. 

I don't remember if they got a Shark to back them, but I do know that the incidence of head chain jewelry and body chain jewelry hasn't changed much.  It's still pretty much a niche market.  Some people wear it often, and other people are experimenting for a time and then move on to something else.

• Love 1

My daughter makes her living primarily making and selling BINDIs (forehead or third eye jewelry) on Etsy. That kind of stuff is big with the Coachella crowd.  I gotta check out this morphing tattoo tonight.  Maybe I can make a little check box form that people can complete and fax in, or do a Survey Monkey!

In the 70s I was big into belly dancing and I had a girlcrush on this one dancer who wore a thin gold chain around her waist.  I was contemplating copying her when I realized that I couldn't afford THAT much gold!

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 4

Isn't February supposed to be sweeps? Honestly, the early reruns are more fun than the new stuff.  Case in point - neon pink Emily and her STILL impaired ex. Did Emily have a "just for TV" hickey, or was it a tattoo?  I'm watching more for the hair and fashion tips than the cases.  Yawn.

• Love 1

I couldn't make sense of that car loan case today.  Sylvia said she gave the defendant a $400 money order as partial payment, and defendant's witness said no, HE was the one buying the car.  JJ decided it was a scam when she learned that defendant still had the car and that she had taken out a title loan on it.  JJ gave Sylvia back her $400.

In the Texas landlord-tenant case -- plaintiff tenant filed a complaint with Section 8 because her landlord failed to repair the AC for several weeks -- in Texas, in June.  Landlord did a retaliatory eviction and plaintiff got her security deposit back, and some payment for property she'd left at the house.

NO sympathy for the fake-weepy mom who "wouldn't put a mattress on her back" and opened a utilities account in her teenage daughter's name so her family wouldn't be homeless after a divorce.  First of all, mom, the mattress doesn't go on your back, so you wouldn't have made any money that way.  How did that woman end up with foster kids?

• Love 7

First episode, first case -- Plaintiff Ms. Boyd rented a house from Ms. Simms, and the AC broke in the beginning of June. It was Texas in the summertime, and she didn't have any AC through July 19th. Ms. Simms evicted her for stupid reasons and said she donated her belongings. JJ ordered $1500 to be returned to Ms. Boyd.

First episode, second case -- About 18 years ago, the neckless defendant, Ms. Fleece, used her 2-year-old daughter's identity to open an account with the electric company. When it was time for Ms. Fleece to explain herself, she fake cried about being a single mom. Ms. Fleece said, "I chose not to put a mattress on my back and do damaging things." Wait, what?  The plaintiff, her daughter (now 20), has a 2-year-old and a 4-year-old, and a job.  Ms. Fleece puffed up her chest and boasted that she taught her daughter about having a good work ethic. JJ, the voice of common sense, pointed out that Ms. Fleece DID NOT teach her daughter about birth control.  Ms. Fleece's retort, "She's the good one."  (I'm sorry, but this woman is not making any sense.) The greasy-haired, stoner-eyed daughter found out at age 19 that her mother put a bunch of other bills in her name over the years. JJ told the mother to cough up the money. More fake crying in the hallterview. More not making sense..."I did it so she could take flights someday." The hug in the hallterview was bullshit.

Second episode, first case -- An extremely dramatic wig was suing Ms. Threatts for repossessing a car that she said she belonged to her. (The wig was all I could look at. It is a wig par excellence. Her name is Ms. Sylvia Wright.)

Some dude named Dobie showed the wigged Ms. Wright a car that Ms. Threatts was selling. Dobie lives in the same Apartment complex as Ms. Threatts. Byrd had to saunter out into the hallterview area to collect the elderly Dobie Lane. Busted! Ms. Wright had tried to play naive about Dobie; well he sang like a bird -- they had been dating and having sleepovers!  Ms. Wright has an account at Whoop Force Bank (I swear that's what she said), and she started the process of buying the car in August. She gave her a $400 money order, with a promise to pay the remaining $200 later. Dobie said that he took out $400 from the ATM, got a money order, and gave it to Ms. Threatts for the car (with a promise to pay the other half later). Ms. Threatts admitted that she had a title lien on the car, and she would be able to get the title once her $800 was paid off. JJ immediately called her a scam artist and awarded money to Ms. Wright. I'm not going to lie -- I was a little confused about the twists and turns of this case.

Second episode, second case - For chrissakes, I am SICK of these dog cases. The plaintiff's dog (who was alive and in the courtroom) was beyond adorable. So precious!  I didn't want to hear another word of that case, so I changed the channel.

My favorite part of today's cases: Whoop Force Bank

Edited by CoolWhipLite
  • Love 5

An extremely dramatic wig was suing Ms. Threatts for repossessing a car that she said she belonged to her. (The wig was all I could look at. It is a wig par excellence.

So, you didn't notice the Nails? They freaked me out so badly I had trouble following the case. Actually even without the Nails, I don't know what the hell was going on. Maybe I'm just tired, but Dobbie (who appeared to be at least 80 and from whom I got not one intelligible sentence) spending nights with Sasha,who had a girlfriend and DMV and title loan and a $600 car and Western Union and "I have checks but I don't write checks" and oh god I have a headache.

I don't watch dog cases anymore, but got the defendants' hallterview where they say that no one should be walking a dog on July 4th, just in case stupid fracking idiots like them leave their own dogs outside when they can open gates and attack other dogs - I wanted to beat them with a Crystal-style baseball bat and... I'm done.

• Love 10

Agree with re-roofing.  I take that to mean that they had what is called a "composite" roof that permits a layer of shingles to be placed OVER the old ones (and yeah, Judy, not all of us make $10 million a year so if we can "re-roof" for $8000 instead of "new roofing" for $15000 we might go running in that direction.  And frankly, I would acquaint myself with roofing terms of art before I negotiated.  And the other thing I would have done is have Mr. Salinas ITEMIZE his bid for each aspect of the work.  

The job cost $26,000, which made me immediately send up a prayer that I won't have to replace my roof anytime soon.

I have a feeling the lion's share of that amount was the framing of the garage and putting on its NEW roof.  Hence, the need for itemization.  If the framing and roof of the garage was, say $20,000, there's no way he should have expected the remaining $8000 to cover the cost of ripping off and installing a completely new roof.  

• Love 6

So, you didn't notice the Nails? They freaked me out so badly I had trouble following the case. Actually even without the Nails, I don't know what the hell was going on. Maybe I'm just tired, but Dobbie (who appeared to be at least 80 and from whom I got not one intelligible sentence) spending nights with Sasha,who had a girlfriend and DMV and title loan and a $600 car and Western Union and "I have checks but I don't write checks" and oh god I have a headache.

I read 3 different recap/comments about this case, and still don't know who was buying the car or how much it was supposed to cost. About all we DO know is that defendant had no business selling car with title loan, and Sylvia/Sasha bought a $400 money order.
  • Love 3

I don't watch dog cases anymore, but got the defendants' hallterview where they say that no one should be walking a dog on July 4th, just in case stupid fracking idiots like them leave their own dogs outside when they can open gates and attack other dogs - I wanted to beat them with a Crystal-style baseball bat and... I'm done.

Ditto didn't watch case except hallway. These two idiots actually claim woman was negligent for walking her dog on July 4th.
  • Love 5

I read 3 different recap/comments about this case, and still don't know who was buying the car or how much it was supposed to cost.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I often get confused with these convoluted, crazy car schemes like title loans (which I never heard before I watched this show) on a 14 year old Chevy.

I have a feeling the lion's share of that amount was the framing of the garage and putting on its NEW roof.  Hence, the need for itemization.  If the framing and roof of the garage was, say $20,000, there's no way he should have expected the remaining $8000 to cover the cost of ripping off and installing a completely new roof.

Yeah, most of it must have gone to the garage and roof. As for the cost of the roof on the house - ripping off old shingles included -  it really depends on if the house is a bungalow or cottage. I had a completely new roof put on a large bungalow for 11,000$. It would be less for a much narrower cottage.

• Love 3

In the Texas landlord-tenant case -- plaintiff tenant filed a complaint with Section 8 because her landlord failed to repair the AC for several weeks -- in Texas, in June. Landlord did a retaliatory eviction and plaintiff got her security deposit back, and some payment for property she'd left at the house.

I thought plaintiff deserved rebate for the rent she paid when there was no AC. Landlord and property manager daughter should have gotten together and agreed on story before court. I think the whole eviction thing was just a ploy to protect the landlord from section 8 problems. They wanted to have something to make complaint from tenant look suspect.

NO sympathy for the fake-weepy mom who "wouldn't put a mattress on her back" and opened a utilities account in her teenage daughter's name so her family wouldn't be homeless after a divorce. First of all, mom, the mattress doesn't go on your back, so you wouldn't have made any money that way. How did that woman end up with foster kids?

Good question. She's section 8, can't pay own bills, yet has had 2 foster kids for 7 years? I don't really know how the foster program works, but there should be periodic review.

I didn't understand JJ's birth control jab at first, but the "good daughter" is 19 and has two children, a 2yo and 4yo. I just hope the daughter is telling the truth about having a job, and hope she can escape the example mom has set. And this mom has been entrusted with two foster boys.

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 1

I didn't understand JJ's birth control jab at first, but the "good daughter" is 19 and has two children, a 2yo and 4yo. I just hope the daughter is telling the truth about having a job, and hope she can escape the example mom has set.

When mom said "She's the good one", I had a flashback to that Two and a Half Men episode with Berta's pregnant daughter.  Berta said something similar about her.

That mom had foster kids but couldn't get utilities in her name?  Weird.

The litigants in the Texas AC case -- all of them were more well-spoken and more attractive than most of JJ's litigants.  I could picture the mom in a hotel lounge, picking up salesmen.  And the plaintiff was the first nurse I've seen on JJ who I'd trust to do an IV.

• Love 5

NO sympathy for the fake-weepy mom who "wouldn't put a mattress on her back"

Doesn't anyone watch this show before appearing on it? Her tearless, hanky-waving fake crying was beyond irritating. Yeah, Cynthia, you get a gold star for not prostituting youself, but really, at a buck a throw, how long would it take to accumulate enough $$$ to pay your damned bills?

I love how she so sweetly mentioned that her daughter was a "young mother" as though having a teenager get knocked up - TWICE - is something poetic.

• Love 7

July 4 dog case came at the wrong time for me.

Today, my husband and I were walking on a trail in our town (with signs clearly stating to keep your dog on a leash), and a completely out of control boxer charged at me. There was another dog and two women. One woman got the other dog pretty quick, but the other one couldn't get her dog to come back by voice. I kept backing up with my arms in the air (trying to look bigger and not give it anything to bite), and it kept jumping at me while my husband kept trying to get between us (that dog clearly hated me on sight from over 50 ft away, and I was pretty darn scared). My husband actually ended up calling the police before the woman could be bothered to grab and leash her dog (then he told the officer it was okay). Both women were really nasty and entitled in exactly the same way as the July 4 dog owners were acting.

We later ended up stopping by the police station to ask for advice. The officer who took the 911 call was there, and he mentioned that he did stop by the park and didn't see anything, but that was because we were on the trail in the woods, not at the field area as he had thought. I was pretty impressed that he bothered to come by for such a minor event that had already de-escalated. We asked if it was legal in our town to carry pepper spray in the park in case something like this happened again. The officer said, "you are completely correct that dogs are supposed to be on a leash - you have the legal and moral high ground." We were expecting some kind of "but" to follow that kind of a start, but instead he said, "not only can you use pepper spray if a dog approaches you threateningly and not under direct owner control, but feel free to take out a .45 and shoot it between the eyes."

Although I have a CPL, I have no desire to kill a dog (it's not the dog's fault that its owners are jerks), but I did get some pepper spray on Amazon order right away.

• Love 3

I don't know why I still watch this mess.  I admit that I don't pay close attention anymore and usually do other things while I play it back.  But I just don't care what happens to anyone on this show anymore, including Donna.  Mike running around asking, no, demanding that everyone he knows and ever knew lie for him.  And gettting all offended when he finds out that most people are at least as opposed to going to prison as he is.  Because, well, the entire world will suffer if this arrogant little shit is exposed for the lying, selfish liar he is.  The self-righteousness of a bunch of liars,  demanding that everybody lie, obstruct,and generally roll around in the mud with them has just pushed me to my limits.  The arrogance of their expectations that everyone else risk prison, disbarment and ruin in order for them to skate on years of criminality is astounding.  And we know they are in crisis mode because they yell all the time and say goddamn constantly. No, wait, they've always done that.
As far as I can tell, PSL does not practice law anymore, except to represent themselves.  Which, given their utter disrespect for the law, is probably a good thing.  (Next week-possible jury tampering!)
I hear the show has been renewed, so I assume that there will be some craptastic rabbit out of the hat miracle that spares everyone from the fates they so richly deserve.

Those nasty dog owners ("How dare she walk her dog on a public street that day?) enraged me during their 60 seconds in the hall. I'm really glad I skipped that ep.

a completely out of control boxer charged at me.

Do you live near me?? I was walking my vicious pit bull in the forest horse trails. There was a rise ahead and I couldn't see beyond it and suddenly two off-leash and large boxers came galloping over it, straight at us. The one in front barrelled right into my dog with its shoulder, knocking her off her feet. The other boxer joined in, charging  at us from the front while the other circled behind. I was terrified. Finally the owner comes ambling along and starts trying to get their leashes on. I told her if she couldn't control her dogs she needed to keep them leashed. She had a stupid smile on her face and not once did she look at me as she finally gathered the dogs and left. Ruined my day and my dog's day for sure.

But I just don't care what happens to anyone on this show anymore, including Donna.  Mike running around asking, no, demanding that everyone he knows and ever knew lie for him.

Are these Judge Judy litigants, or did you wander into the wrong snark?:p

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 5

I don't know why I still watch this mess.  I admit that I don't pay close attention anymore and usually do other things while I play it back.  But I just don't care what happens to anyone on this show anymore, including Donna.  Mike running around asking, no, demanding that everyone he knows and ever knew lie for him.  And gettting all offended when he finds out that most people are at least as opposed to going to prison as he is.  Because, well, the entire world will suffer if this arrogant little shit is exposed for the lying, selfish liar he is.  The self-righteousness of a bunch of liars,  demanding that everybody lie, obstruct,and generally roll around in the mud with them has just pushed me to my limits.  The arrogance of their expectations that everyone else risk prison, disbarment and ruin in order for them to skate on years of criminality is astounding.  And we know they are in crisis mode because they yell all the time and say goddamn constantly. No, wait, they've always done that.

As far as I can tell, PSL does not practice law anymore, except to represent themselves.  Which, given their utter disrespect for the law, is probably a good thing.  (Next week-possible jury tampering!)

I hear the show has been renewed, so I assume that there will be some craptastic rabbit out of the hat miracle that spares everyone from the fates they so richly deserve.

What does this mean?  Who are Donna and Mike?  And what is PSL?  I just woke up and still a little duhh.

• Love 4

What does this mean?  Who are Donna and Mike?  And what is PSL?  I just woke up and still a little duhh.

I am guilty as charged.  I posted in the wrong forum!  I don't know how I did it or how to remove it from the JJ forum.  Many abject apologies.  So embarrassing!!

• Love 6