Type keyword(s) to search

Past Seasons Talk

AliShibaz

Hello. This is my first post in this thread. A friend recommended this show to me. I skimmed thru a few episodes and it seemed to me that almost all the episodes were very similar. In a way, most of them were almost identical. Seemed to me that most all of them work like this:

A fairly attractive person (let's call them "A") contacts Nev and explains they've been talking to someone (call them "B") on the Net for several months or years and they think they're falling in love with that person although they've never met. Then A meets with Nev and we get to know them a little. Then, Nev arranges for the two people to meet and usually, we find that B has been lying either in a big way or a small way. In most cases, A is disappointed to find that B is either not the gender they said they were or that a few things or almost everything they have said turned out to be nothing but lies. In most episodes, A is extremely disappointed and angry. But then Nev usually helps the two people to come to some kind of understanding and when they part, they may not be friends or lovers, but A is not as angry as they were when they first met B.

But then this episode was very different. I won't explain the details because I think if you've been reading this thread, you already know what happened in this episode. But then I got to wondering specifically about this episode:

1) What if these two people were both playing Nev? (or maybe "punking" would be a better term?). What if they had seen the show and one of them asked the other, "Do you think we could construct some kind of story and fool Nev into thinking it was true and get on this show?"

2) I wonder if this idea has occurred to other people and whether anyone might want to try to do something similar? I know that when Judge Judy first started getting popular, college students used to have contests to see if they could pretend they were having some terrible problem with a friend or neighbor or lover and get on the Judge Judy show and make some money by getting her to make a judgement for one of them.

I wouldn't even suggest such a thing if this show was about helping people resolve problems and live better lives. If it was a therapeutic show, for example, I wouldn't suggest wasting the time of the hosts because that could cost someone who could really get help from the show. But this show isn't really about helping people. Well, it is, in a small way. But it's more about finding two people - one of which is deceiving the other - and exploiting them by showing them on TV. The hosts and producers of this show aren't doing it primarily to help people. They're doing it to make money by finding people who fit the profile of their show and then constructing an episode of their TV show about these people.

But, I'm wondering if it might be fun for two (or more) people to try and concoct situations that would entice this show to meet the people and record an episode about them. I'd think of doing that in a serious way if there was any money in it for the people involved. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like there is.

But, for one thing, I'd like to ask if any of you might think that any of the episodes they have produced so far have been "fake"? Does it seem like any of these situations were not real but were just concocted by the participants for the fun of seeing whether they could trick Nev into believing them and putting them on the show? After all, for people who aspire to become actors, they might think this could be a good way to introduce themselves to talent agents or casting directors.

Or would that just be a nasty thing to do and would it be best to just put it out of my mind? I can see both sides of this problem and I could well understand if people figured that it would be a terrible thing to try and deceive the producers of this show. On the other hand, it seems like one of the parties involved in every episode is there because they have deceived the other party. So, I wonder if it really would be completely wrong for two people to get together and try to deceive Nev?

Edited by AliShibaz
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, AliShibaz said:

1) What if these two people were both playing Nev? (or maybe "punking" would be a better term?). What if they had seen the show and one of them asked the other, "Do you think we could construct some kind of story and fool Nev into thinking it was true and get on this show?"

2) I wonder if this idea has occurred to other people and whether anyone might want to try to do something similar? I know that when Judge Judy first started getting popular, college students used to have contests to see if they could pretend they were having some terrible problem with a friend or neighbor or lover and get on the Judge Judy show and make some money by getting her to make a judgement for one of them.

I wouldn't even suggest such a thing if this show was about helping people resolve problems and live better lives. If it was a therapeutic show, for example, I wouldn't suggest wasting the time of the hosts because that could cost someone who could really get help from the show. But this show isn't really about helping people. Well, it is, in a small way. But it's more about finding two people - one of which is deceiving the other - and exploiting them by showing them on TV. The hosts and producers of this show aren't doing it primarily to help people. They're doing it to exploit people and make money from doing that.

But, I'm wondering if it might be fun for two (or more) people to try and concoct situations that would entice this show to meet the people and record an episode about them. I'd think of doing that in a serious way if there was any money in it for the people involved. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like there is.

But, for one thing, I'd like to ask if any of you might think that any of the episodes they have produced so far have been "fake"? Does it seem like any of these situations were not real but were just concocted by the participants for the fun of seeing whether they could trick Neve into believing them and putting them on TV? After all, for people who aspire to become actors, it could be a good way to introduce yourself to prospective talent agencies or casting directors.

There have already been at least a couple of episodes where people have made up stories to get on the show. I can't remember details of all of them, but I remember that one they did it because they couldn't afford plane fare to fly across the country to see each other, so they conned the show into sending them.

Here is a place to discuss ALL episodes- where there are similarities, differences, observations about these poor deluded people who think celebrities (*cough* Katy Perry *cough*) are actually talking to them, etc. 

Welcome @AliShibaz

26 minutes ago, GaT said:

There have already been at least a couple of episodes where people have made up stories to get on the show. I can't remember details of all of them, but I remember that one they did it because they couldn't afford plane fare to fly across the country to see each other, so they conned the show into sending them.

Yeah, I'm blanking on their names but they had tried to delete all of their old facebook messages, etc, to hide that they've known each other longer than they were saying in their catfish story.  There may have been others that were outed as knowing each other after the air date, but that instance it was figured out during the taping that they were faking it. 

Hello GenL,

I had never imagined that anyone would try to fool the producers of this show in order to get free air fare. That seems like a very poor trade to me. Very poor. I would guess the people who did that must be very young. I'm guessing that in a situation like that, adults would behave very differently from teenagers or say people under 21. The reason?

Anyone who would do that would be trading away their privacy (for their entire lifetime) just to get air fare. The value of those two things are not even close. Giving up your anonymity or your privacy for your entire lifetime is a very big deal as compared to an airplane ticket which is not a big deal - hardly not at all. There are so many ways to get from one city to another for a much lower cost than the value of your personal privacy.

Well, of course, that is just my opinion. I suppose that if someone was desperate to get from once city to another ... so desperate they wouldn't even consider any of the future consequences, I suppose I could understand that. But, if you have ever had your personal privacy violated or understand what it could be like to do something that would follow you around for the rest of your life, you might reconsider doing something like that.

I suppose that some people might find it worth the cost. Or maybe they just don't fully realize what that cost  may entail several years from now?

Edited by AliShibaz
28 minutes ago, AliShibaz said:

Anyone who would do that would be trading away their privacy (for their entire lifetime) just to get air fare.

Unfortunately, that is today's youth.  They grew up with reality TV and none of it seems like it could be harmful when in reality it is.  I agree with you, but that's how it goes.

Trying to find a name of an older Catfish episode. I remember the catfish who was a young African American female was just laughing about what she had done. I think she was posing as a guy .

19 hours ago, MrsEVH said:

Trying to find a name of an older Catfish episode. I remember the catfish who was a young African American female was just laughing about what she had done. I think she was posing as a guy .

Maybe Season 2, ep 14, where the catfish was posing as Bow Wow online but was actually a woman who was very proud of her lambskin dildo?

Or, if it wasn't a girl posing as a guy, but someone who did laugh hysterically, it may be Season 4, ep 12, with the heinous Tracey who couldn't stop laughing at every.damn.thing.

2 hours ago, Lizzing said:

Or, if it wasn't a girl posing as a guy, but someone who did laugh hysterically, it may be Season 4, ep 12, with the heinous Tracey who couldn't stop laughing at every.damn.thing.

That's it. Found it on youtube but the voice was altered. Thanks :) There was also a youtube video of her on Dr. Phil.

Edited by MrsEVH

I figure there are 3 shows that will never need to end due to lack of subjects - My 600 pound life, Hoarders/Hoarding, and Catfish. I can't believe how stupid these people are. How can you be "in love" with someone you have never met? Because of what they say to you in chat and IM? Well, then why are you not still in love with them when you see they don't match the picture? Admit you fell for the picture. I would think they would be embarrassed to go on this show and demonstrate to the world how shallow they are.

• Love 3
On 13/09/2016 at 0:41 PM, GenL said:

Unfortunately, that is today's youth.  They grew up with reality TV and none of it seems like it could be harmful when in reality it is.  I agree with you, but that's how it goes.

This is so true. Social media has made youth trade their privacy in order to look popular, to look cool or outgoing. 

On 18/11/2016 at 11:52 PM, MrsEVH said:

Some people have no conscience. Duking someone us just one big game to them. Its really sad.

Bizarre moment this week as I was having my nails done.  My mid-30s nail tech asked me what a "catfish" is!!  I - a 70-year-old woman tried to explain the concept of someone who intentionally sets out to "mess with" someone else's emotions and/or finances via an online relationship.  Once you try to define it, you realize how evil someone has to be to do it.

• Love 4

Ok I'm confused.  Why is this board showing up in the listings of "Forums added in the past 14 Days", under the title of "Two Old Hookers on Catfish"?  It's not a new show, and that doesn't appear to be the title.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, auntjess said:

Do they fly first class some, or does MTV own the plane with 2-together blue leather seats?
Just rewatched Specer & Katy, but I've seen those seats on other episodes.

They must fly first class on occasion. Judge Alex posted yesterday that they were behind him on a flight. He never watched the show so he had no idea who they were. But sometimes I recognize the plane they're on as being Southwest Airlines. And Southwest has no first class.

• Love 1

I want to see the movie, but haven't seen it on the schedule.  Is it usually on MTV, or a movie channel. 
ETA:  The way the intro explains it, "and he was really talking to Angela," is saying "for heaven sake, how dare Angela think she was worthy of a guy as hot as Nev."

Edited by auntjess
6 hours ago, auntjess said:

I want to see the movie, but haven't seen it on the schedule.  Is it usually on MTV, or a movie channel. 
ETA:  The way the intro explains it, "and he was really talking to Angela," is saying "for heaven sake, how dare Angela think she was worthy of a guy as hot as Nev."

I watched it on a app on my Roku this last time, although MTV also seems to replay it regularly. 

• Love 1

I've been watching repeats of What Not to Wear, and saw one where the woman had been talking with a man online for a few months, and since they both lived in the same city, he wanted to know why she always had excuses for cancelling any plans to meet.
Turns out, she'd gained a bit of weight, (but the picture she sent him, face view, wasn't really misleading.), and she had a crappy wardrobe, and wanted to look nice in something when she finally met him.
Of course, happy ending, and not a catfish.
ETA:
When people drop out for several months, or a year or so, and then return, I think maybe they've been in jail, because I watch the true crime shows, and the serial kills will stop for a while, and then resume when the perp is released.

Edited by auntjess

2 days after Christmas and they still can't CATCH a clue....

"To Catch a Catfish" is something that's on and that I am largely ignoring (won't even make a thread)

STOP MAKING FILLER CONTENT BLOATED WITH COMMERCIALS

It's not like they are even pressed for things to rerun

I can't tell if they are starting this season early because of the spinoff or because they have even more fluff like this to fill the weeks continuously with

MTV as a whole just needs to be removed 

I thought Charlemagne was pretty funny and I enjoyed his reactions to show scenes.
When do these people work or where, when so many say "we text all day," and then you have people, sometimes single moms, who are on the phone all night.
What kind of a workforce will we have?

On 12/27/2017 at 8:38 PM, AfterwardsTV said:

2 days after Christmas and they still can't CATCH a clue....

"To Catch a Catfish" is something that's on and that I am largely ignoring (won't even make a thread)

STOP MAKING FILLER CONTENT BLOATED WITH COMMERCIALS

It's not like they are even pressed for things to rerun

I can't tell if they are starting this season early because of the spinoff or because they have even more fluff like this to fill the weeks continuously with

MTV as a whole just needs to be removed 

I watched this, hoping against hope that it would something interesting, but it was just an egofest for Nev and the guest cohosts (Max wasn't on too much, probably because he doesn't need the stroking). It always kinda ticks me off when they make fun of past participants -- it's so disrespectful, and they have no way to stand up for themselves. I also thought it was crappy how they repeatedly flashed pictures of people they erroneously thought was the catfish; I hope those people get paid for having their mugs flashed on the show.

• Love 2
On 2/16/2018 at 1:55 PM, cooksdelight said:

Can we start some type of petition to ban Nev’s wife and kid from ever being shown again?

Lol. I don't mind this. Interesting that Max and his wife speak Portuguese at home. I am always impressed with bilingual couples when the American uses their second with their partner.  I assume she is from Brazil.  

I love the name Cleo. 

• Love 2

What is the deal with the show using Airbnb or bringing in new furniture to some of the homes?  

I guess maybe if I'm the one calling the show, I wouldn't want them to show my real house? Some look like maybe they're the person's real home, especially in small towns, rural areas (guessing not much in the way of rentals or Airbnb there).

Just started watching the show recently, and it sure follows the same formula.  

• Love 2

I don’t know his name, but that badly built Latino man that was pretending to be a woman(who fought a lot) is on Judge Judy. Apparently he threw hot water at his brother. It’s not a new episode, was this ever talked about? 

I'm seething......

How far up your own asses do you have to be to air 8 weeks of specials just to celebrate getting to 100? Fuck your fluff. Why even call Dylan & Savenia your season finale? 

We seriously need to put together some sort of boycott.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, AfterwardsTV said:

Our boycott worked and they pulled the specials!

...Until whenever they have an empty gap on Wednesdays to fling them. Likely when Fear Factor is dunzo.

Any info on why they pulled them?

Yay, I'm glad they are showing them now. I want Max and Nev on my screen in any capacity. I'm even ok with this Charlamagne dude, as long as we get Nev and Max in the clips.

Edited by Gothish520
On 4/20/2018 at 1:41 PM, AfterwardsTV said:

Gothish....you seem thirsty. There are better beverages out there.

LMAO! Oh they're cute and all (especially Max, meow!), but that's not it (well, it's a small part of it). The main reason is I just get a kick out of their relationship - they work very well together and they make me laugh. Their reactions to these ridiculous catfishers and catfishees are too funny. I just find them highly entertaining. I even like their wives, and Nev's baby is adorable. 

• Love 1

Little bit late talking about this tweet, but I saw it mentioned elsewhere and wanted to bring it up for discussion.

Her lack of utility to the show has nothing to do with her gender, and it annoys me that he pulled that card out as a response to it. I would have respected an answer about how she brings a unique perspective or nearly anything else far more than this strawman argument.

• Love 7
12 hours ago, Dee121 said:

Little bit late talking about this tweet, but I saw it mentioned elsewhere and wanted to bring it up for discussion.

Her lack of utility to the show has nothing to do with her gender, and it annoys me that he pulled that card out as a response to it. I would have respected an answer about how she brings a unique perspective or nearly anything else far more than this strawman argument.

I still give him credit for standing up for her. Honestly, he could've just as easily said my show, my wife, don't like it, screw you. I think it's sweet that he wants her on the show and that they are doing more shows in L.A. so he can be close to her and their daughter. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

I think it's sweet that he wants her on the show and that they are doing more shows in L.A. so he can be close to her and their daughter. 

I really don't get this.  Who else brings their spouse to work? Judge Judy can bring he husband and get his input, as can sitting judges. 
Crazy.

• Love 2

She's sooooo unecessary. They did the show without her for 6 seasons, she isn't bringing anything special except their annoying "i love you" crap. K, we get it you love your wife and kid. Great, now go to work and let her live her insta and twitter life.

• Love 4
On 4/23/2018 at 6:43 PM, auntjess said:

I really don't get this.  Who else brings their spouse to work? Judge Judy can bring he husband and get his input, as can sitting judges. 

You mean besides Donald Trump, Hulk Hogan, Ozzy Osbourne, and, if you're allowed to count GF;s, Hugh Hefner? You also had Brandi & Jarrod of Storage Wars. Judge Judy didn't; her husband got his own show, as have numerous other SO's and relatives of stars of popular shows. This show is in decline, so a few minute appearance per episode may be the best Nev could arrange for his wife.

• Love 1

Brandi & Jarrod worked together, the president's wife lives in the WH, Sharon Osbourne is the brains in that outfit, isn't she?
Sorry, but most people, who don't work together, don't bring spouses to their job, unless they have a legitimate reason for being there.  Nev's wife doesn't.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, auntjess said:

Sorry, but most people, who don't work together, don't bring spouses to their job, unless they have a legitimate reason for being there.  Nev's wife doesn't.

She could be providing insight or an alternate POV, like Ivanka did on The Apprentice, so there's a legitimate reason for her to be there; she's just failing at it. That could change if the producers start feeding her things to pass along, like we've seen them do with previously off-camera staffers on-site.

• Love 2

"Angel & Jordan: Jordan ended a real-life relationship for a spark on Tinder; Nev and his wife Laura get on the case and uncover dark truths."

That's an upcoming(?) episode description I found on Zap2it.

Yup Laura's filling in for Max in a full episode.

• Love 2