Type keyword(s) to search

Beauty and the Beast (2017)

JessePinkman
  • Start Topic

The Beast's original song as performed by Josh Groban

As gorgeous as the song is, I think it won't be eligible for best original song due to the use of previous musical themes, obviously there is the Prologue music at the start, but there are references to the original Beast song from the stage production and pretty sure there is some musical references to the 'Belle' number.

It's amazing that I still get goosebumps from new Menken songs. Let's hope Dan can sing as well as Josh.

• Love 3

The soundtrack is out next week, we'll find out then.

That song though...damn. I could hear notes from "If I Can't Love Her" which will always be my favorite, but still lovely. I don't even like Groban! Curse you, Menken!

• Love 1
On 3/1/2017 at 4:20 PM, Spartan Girl said:

But if you've seen The Girl On The Train, as you see he has biceps to spare.

(Though every last inch of him isn't covered in hair.)

Maybe that's why they removed the hair line from the new version of the song! :) And of course some people are upset about that. It is a classic line from the song, but it wouldn't really make sense here, since it obviously isn't true with this version of Gaston. Also, there are added lyrics, which will be interesting to hear.

You can listen to more of Luke singing the Gaston song here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3lIk9h5R5I

His voice might not be as deep as some people would like, but it's powerful. And from the early reviews, Luke and Josh are the standouts of the movie.

There is also B-roll footage on Youtube with a lot of the Gaston number. Definitely has some moments where you can see that LeFou has a crush on Gaston. I think he both idolizes Gaston and pines for him. I hope it's just not too heavy handed.

• Love 2

I saw the B-roll stuff too. The Gaston number looks great.

The reviews have been positive for the most part. I kind of rolled my eyes at the complaints that it's too faithful to the original -- do we really want another mess like Maleficent? And the Entertainment Weekly review had yet another "it's Stockhom Syndrome" gripe -- this after Emma gave an interview with them where she explained why it's NOT Stockhom Syndrome! Geez, you can't win!

Whatever. Movie is coming in two weeks, and I'm going to Disney World for the first time. Nobody's raining on my parade.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

His voice might not be as deep as some people would like, but it's powerful. And from the early reviews, Luke and Josh are the standouts of the movie.

Out of all the footage I've seen so far (especially with the singing), I have found Gaston and LeFou to be the most satisfying part of the movie so far.

22 hours ago, Jediknight said:

Wait a second,

Reveal hidden contents

I always just saw him as the stock standard goofy villain sidekick. I rewatched the original last night after being disappointed that it is

Spoiler
Spoiler

Lumiere who releases Belle from the dungeon not the Beast. And it seems that the Beast in the new movie is content to let Belle live in the dungeon based on the scene. I've always loved how the Beast stutters over the line 'Do you wanna live here forever- or what ever it is exactly

anyways, during the 'Belle' number just before the Bimbette's start singing their lines there is a quick shot of LeFou admiring them, in an oogling kind of way. It's quick and easy to dismiss but it is something that could be used to argue his orientation. Considering the stuff I see posted over social media about the most trivial details of a movie or a book to justify the poster's opinion, I'm using this to justify my original impression of LeFou LOL

And while I'm on a critical train of thought, I hate the design of the feather duster and I am convinced whoever thought slapping Mrs Potts' face on the side of the teapot was a good idea obviously only saw the stage production and assumed the handle and spout are her arms.

• Love 2

I love that moment in the original too

with the Beast getting Belle out of the dungeon, also because of the second of shame and remorse he displays at Belle's grief. Though to be fair Lumiere did suggest moving her to another room before it happened. But that moment of the Beast being so awkward showed that he wasn't as heartless as he acted, which was very crucial to the character. I'm disappointed that Lumiere busts her out instead, but I've read the new movie novelization, and after he finds out, the Beast grudgingly admits that it's better to let her stay in a room. Which is also important to his character because I got the impression in both the old and new versions, the Beast actually cares about what Lumiere and the others think, despite the fact that he orders them around.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Whatever. Movie is coming in two weeks, and I'm going to Disney World for the first time. Nobody's raining on my parade.

Have fun! I LOVE Disney World! You definitely should eat lunch at Be Our Guest (aka the Beast's castle). You'll have to stand in line for a while, but if you go at the end of lunch, it won't be too bad, and is definitely worth it!

I just bought my tix for the movie for Friday night, opening weekend. I was thinking about the Thursday night fan event, but since I have to work the next day, I figured Friday would be better. Can't wait! I've been listening to the clips of the songs, and I can't get them out of my head! The soundtrack comes out in 6 days, so I'm sure I'll be humming the songs all month long. :)

• Love 1

Saw the movie this afternoon and I really enjoyed it, as much as the animated version. Emma Watson was a very effective Belle. I thought some of the CGI stuff would weird me out, but it was really well done.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, smices said:

Saw the movie this afternoon and I really enjoyed it, as much as the animated version. Emma Watson was a very effective Belle. I thought some of the CGI stuff would weird me out, but it was really well done.

Lucky you! Did you see it at a press screening? Did people cheer after the musical numbers?

11 hours ago, smices said:

So jealous! I have to wait til next Thursday! Can you tell us if they finally give us the Prince's name? I'm dying to know.

1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

So jealous! I have to wait til next Thursday! Can you tell us if they finally give us the Prince's name? I'm dying to know.

I could swear Disney told us his name was Adam. 

• Love 2
On 3/7/2017 at 7:45 AM, Jazzy24 said:

I could swear Disney told us his name was Adam. 

I am fairly certain this was his name also, one of the only princes I never knew the name of was the prince from Cinderella (animated, I believe they gave him a name in the live version but I can't remember it lol).

10 minutes ago, TigerLily20 said:

I am fairly certain this was his name also, one of the only princes I never knew the name of was the prince from Cinderella (animated, I believe they gave him a name in the live version but I can't remember it lol).

Prince Philip.  And Ariel's prince is Prince Eric.

21 minutes ago, TigerLily20 said:

now I'm wondering where we heard Adam from.....

I know this is the Beast's name, but for the life of me, I cannot think of where I learned this from! I read the novelization of the movie as a kid, but I'm not sure that's it....

8 minutes ago, Trini said:

I know this is the Beast's name, but for the life of me, I cannot think of where I learned this from! I read the novelization of the movie as a kid, but I'm not sure that's it....

I think it was in a Beauty and the Beast Christmas Special Disney did when he was human and they mentioned his name, or in one of their books. 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, okerry said:

Snow White's prince: The Prince

He's David, in Once Upon a Time, though I don't know how canon that is, even though Disney is cooperating with the show and they use the Disney characterizations.

The soundtrack is out. I've been listening to samples (buying it tonight) and two things:

1) Dan Stevens can sing. Boy, can he!

2) I've waited years for Ewan McGregor to do a musical again and while he'll never be Jerry Orbach, he works the hell out of "Be Our Guest".

3) I stand by my stance that I like Emma's singing.

• Love 2

Purchased the album yesterday during my morning tea break and listened to it on the way home. Full disclosure: The original soundtrack will always be the epitome of musical soundtracks for me.

As a listening experience it is very good, I enjoyed the lush orchestrations of the songs. I still don't think Emma Watson was the right choice for Belle purely from a singing point of view. To my ears, she is just hitting notes instead of feeling the lyrics. Everyone else, even if I don't think they are sounding brilliant, sound like they have connected to the lyrics whereas Emma sounds like she is just going through the motion. Having said that though, I think I will give her a pass for not holding notes as long as Paige O'Hara did (even if it will annoy me until I die) because it sounds like it was a production choice. A number of other characters don't hold notes as long either.

Out of the 4 new songs, I truly only value the appearance of Evermore. The other 3 are quite forgettable although I think Day In The Sun may become more memorable with visuals, however it is definitely no Human Again. Really not sure if How Can A Moment Last Forever survive long enough for an Oscar nom. It is extremely forgettable in all 3 versions (at the moment), and the in movie versions feel pointless. If Evermore was truly an original song it would have a much better chance at the nom. I am assuming it will be 'disqualified' for the Oscars, even with the little use of previous themes. A positive about the original songs, is that Emma sounds good cause I have no one to compare her too.

Onto my views of the redone classics. Am I the only one that found all the songs seemed to have been slowed down a notch.

Prologue: Very obvious we aren't getting stain glass windows. Not really sure why we needed to know

Spoiler

that The Beast taxed the villagers so high

and I know it often gets mentioned in articles dealing with '102 questions that need to answered from Beauty and The Beast', but I didn't need it spelled out so bluntly that

Spoiler

The curse caused the villagers to forget about the castle. I've just always argued that. Just another example of movies being dumbed down for audiences who can't think for themselves.

Didn't like how the Narrator finished off the narration with the word Beast with more of a giggle tone than the heartbreaking tone that David Ogden Stiers gave to his narration.

Belle: For me, this is the weakest of all the reinterpretations. It seems to drag out forever, whereas in the original which is roughly the same length, it feels so shot and leaves me wanting more. This version, had me wanting it to end. The first annoyance, is they seem to have removed the conversational aspect of the villagers lyrics. Reading the booklet it appears they have one character singing 'Bonjour Good Day How is your family?' with the response being 'Bonjour Good Day How is your wife?' Which one you look at it involves each person pretty much saying Hello twice in a row. The conversations of the street just don't have the same zing as the original. And all the talking parts in this version have been totally changed, purely for what I can gather is unnecessary plot dumping. I am not a fan of the new bookstore dialogue, I can kinda deal with the Gaston dialogue, but I will never ever ever forgive them for removing the Baker's response to Belle's explanation of the book she was reading. No more 'That's nice, Marie the baguettes Hurry Up!!' Which until it was removed I didn't realise how much I enjoyed that little bit of singing dialogue. Bonus points to the Bimbettes being spot on with their singing.

Belle Repise: Orchestrations are gorgeous here, and Emma sounds a bit better with her emoting in the number.

Gaston: Luke Evans really is the surprise package on this soundtrack. True he is no Richard White. But he is consistently good with his singing and he clearly put in effort to be Gaston with his singing. On occasions, Josh Gad falls into Olaf territory with his voice and I am not so sure about the ending need to be so blunt about why LeFou can't spell. This song put a smile on my face with its humour, and it was nice to hear some unused Howard Ashman lyrics that they used to make things feel fresh. I admit to being disappointed that they decided to have what sounds like a dancing interlude instead of the Gaston Reprise.  But I am looking forward to seeing this number on the screen.

Be Our Guest: This is really noticeable with how much it has been slowed down. But even with the slowing down, everyone involved sounds like they are having an absolute blast singing this classic song, that you can forgive Ewan's terrible French accent. Like Gaston, they appear to have incorporated a little bit of the Broadway dance routine into this arrangement

Something There: Has lost a lot of its charm as they seemed to have removed the spring in the song's step that made it super enjoyable to me. It's lost a lot of its light heartedness This song is another example of how Emma is not really acting through the lyrics while her co-stars clearly are. It was nice to finally have a recording with the cute exchange between Mrs Potts and Chip

Beauty and the Beast: Emma Thompson channels Angela Lansbury with her singing and in general it turns out quite well. What stops me from truly enjoying the song is that the orchestration is ramped up to about 200%, so instead of it starting off simple and building to a crescendo. It's crescendo all the way. Perhaps the visuals will explain why they chose this as the best arrangement for the film. And I confess I am disappointed we don't get to hear Mrs Potts tell Chip its time to go to the cupboard.

The Mob Song: Luke Evans once again brings it with his singing. Almost manages to elevate this to the level of the original. From the arrangement it is clear that the moment with this song has be totally redesigned. Which is a shame as I think we are going to miss one of my most heartbreaking scenes form the original, although since the Enchanted Objects come out of nowhere to sing their line, I'm hoping the missing talking scenes of the original are still present somehow but they decided not to include it on the album Some unused Ashman lyrics also seem to appear in this song. LeFou gets given some unnecessary exposition lyrics for the people watching it who are too dumb to work out that Gaston is the bad guy.

As a listening experience it is fine, but I am glad I listened to it before the movie came out, cause I feel all my issues will have subsided by the time I watch it. So rather than discovering how sucky Belle is while watching it and ruining the movie, I can go in knowing just how the songs sound and hopefully the acting parts will help me think differently about what I am expecting from the movie.

Out of the 3 pop versions, Groban's is hands down the best interpretation.

When I got home, I had to download the deluxe edition to hear Menken's score. The score is serviceable, not as brilliant as the original (not that I expected it). Thankfully the music from the transformation scene is pretty much the same, just a pity the new version of The West Wing is nothing like the original. There are patches throughout the movie where you can hear Menken think, I can't write anything better than the first time I saw this and he has kindly rehashed his work. But overall, he has produced a fairly generic score that if you remove the song themes, is quite forgettable. Argh can't believe I wrote that about Menken.

Edited by Bill1978
  • Love 2

This may not be the right place for media comments, so move if necessary.

Sitting waiting at the pharmacy tonight, I flipped through Vanity Fair's article on Emma Watson.  Had already seen the "shawl & boobs" photo online, along with the TMI about her fur oil use.

I readily admit to fogey-ness, but the bulk of her publicity tour for this (excepting the Stockholm Syndrome rebuke) seems to be all about rebelling from the Good Girl image of Belle/Hermione.  

Wow, I'm hip that getting typed as an ingenue -- even a smart one -- might be a drag, but jeez! She couldn't wait for the naked stuff for her NEXT film? Em will undoubtedly attract a whole new super-woke college girl fan base, but I'm thinking an 8-year-old who loves the character, and is wild to collect all the articles connected to the film -- what might she make of all that?

Other media that's turned me off from seeing the film: Dan Stevens talking about how little of *him* is actually onscreen.  CGI: eeyyyeeeuuuwww.

And you damn kids, get off my lawn.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, voiceover said:

Wow, I'm hip that getting typed as an ingenue -- even a smart one -- might be a drag, but jeez! She couldn't wait for the naked stuff for her NEXT film? Em will undoubtedly attract a whole new super-woke college girl fan base, but I'm thinking an 8-year-old who loves the character, and is wild to collect all the articles connected to the film -- what might she make of all that?

Not trying to start an argument, but here are my two cents... First, I don't think I would consider her to be "naked". She's a 26 year old woman, and women have breasts and public hair. To frown upon someone because they do something that reminds people of that fact is pretty ridiculous. From what I've seen, nothing she did was meant to be overtly sexual. The photo was in a celebrity/fashion/beauty magazine meant for adults, and the fur oil comment was in a long beauty article where she detailed every part of beauty routine. I don't think it's fair to expect adults to only talk or behave in a manner that is appropriate for an 8 year old. Vanity Fair is meant for adults, and I doubt many children will be reading it. Hopefully their parents are smart enough to know what is appropriate reading material for children.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Bill1978 said:

The Mob Song: LeFou gets given some unnecessary exposition lyrics for the people watching it who are too dumb to work out that Gaston is the bad guy.

For me, that line was meant to hint that LeFou is questioning Gaston's decisions and is no longer a loyal, blind follower. He is suppose to worship the guy, but just called him a monster!

Thanks for posting all your thoughts, it was a very interesting read!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

Not trying to start an argument, but here are my two cents... First, I don't think I would consider her to be "naked". She's a 26 year old woman, and women have breasts and public hair. To frown upon someone because they do something that reminds people of that fact is pretty ridiculous. From what I've seen, nothing she did was meant to be overtly sexual. The photo was in a celebrity/fashion/beauty magazine meant for adults, and the fur oil comment was in a long beauty article where she detailed every part of beauty routine. I don't think it's fair to expect adults to only talk or behave in a manner that is appropriate for an 8 year old. Vanity Fair is meant for adults, and I doubt many children will be reading it. Hopefully their parents are smart enough to know what is appropriate reading material for children.

The "naked" line was a joke; just saying, it looks like the next step that so many others have taken before her, to rid themselves of the squeaky-clean image.  ("Take me seriously as an actress! And here are my tits!")

I know women have breasts and pubic hair.  It's not really something that I want pointed out in a Disney heroine, right before the movie is released, but you do you.

I'm not the morality police, but I am entitled to my opinion, no matter how ridiculous you find it, or me, for having it.  I don't question her doing those shoots or giving those interviews.  I was questioning the timing.  And when I was 8, you're right -- no access to nor interest in magazines like VF.  

That was of course before speech replaced sign language as a form of communication. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

For me, that line was meant to hint that LeFou is questioning Gaston's decisions and is no longer a loyal, blind follower. He is suppose to worship the guy, but just called him a monster!

Am I the only one that thinks that giving him an actual conscience is a way bigger deal than him being gay? It ought to be.

All the homophobic reactions just makes me hope this movie breaks several box office records to spite them.

• Love 13
On 3/9/2017 at 2:25 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Live action Cinderella's Prince was Kit.

And yeah, the Beast is supposedly Adam, but it was never stated outright in the cartoon.

Good, because I never liked that name.  I always imagined his name was Reinier, or something else more... French.

It did seem odd that during the whole period Belle got to know the Beast, she never once asked him his name.

ETA: Of course, if he was French royalty, there's an 80 percent chance his name would have been either Louis or Charles.

Edited by Brn2bwild
  • Love 3

And the Entertainment Weekly review had yet another "it's Stockhom Syndrome" gripe -- this after Emma gave an interview with them where she explained why it's NOT Stockhom Syndrome! Geez, you can't win!

That's because Emma's explanation is her interpretation. It's not some objective revelation. For those of us who do see the whole thing as a disturbing example of Stockholm Syndrome, Emma didn't offer a convincing reason to reinterpret.

• Love 2

I've had the opportunity to listen to the whole soundtrack. Everybody in generally sounded good -- they all obviously had a blast making the movie -- but the MVPs for singing have to go to Audra McDonald, Emma Thompson, and Luke Evans. Dan Stevens was also fantastic.

"Evermore" is definitely the best of the original songs. Although, and might be an unpopular opinion so far, I liked "How Does A Moment Last Forever" too. I mean you can't cast Kevin Kline and NOT give him a song. The reprise was also nice; I think that was one of Emma Watson's stronger songs.

The important thing to remember is not to compare them to the original cast. Evans doesn't have the classic Gaston bass, but he's definitely a singer. This might be his breakthrough because his movies so far have been so-so. And while Emma Watson is more alto than soprano, her voice is good. Maybe she wasn't at her best in "Belle" but I think they did that on purpose to convey how bored and suffocated she feels in that dull little town. At least that's how I interpreted it.

• Love 1
On 11/30/2016 at 8:20 PM, ulkis said:

Agree with both your statements. The beast looks cheesy to me, but to be fair, I think he's pretty damn hard to get to look right in live action.

They did not seem to have a problem in the 1946 version with Jean Marais, the 1987 version with John Savage, or the more well known TV show with Ron Perlman.   CGI, like make up/prosthetic, when done well can be transforming; when done wrong it reads wrong - not real or something off - and is a distraction from the story.

On 3/1/2017 at 4:07 PM, Bill1978 said:

I never got any vibe that LeFou was 'lusting' after Gaston, I always interpret him as someone with low self esteem wanting to hang out with the popular jock to make himself feel worthy. I feel this 'change' to LeFou is just a change for change sake and to make it hip to the reddit crowd who overanyalse thigns. Just like making Belle an inventor is unnessary so is making LeFou gay.

An apt comparison! I agree, change for change sake.  LeFou is there for comic relief, nothing more, the character does not push the plot along, there is no need to have depth.

On 3/1/2017 at 4:37 PM, Bruinsfan said:

I always thought LeFrou was the human equivalent of that dog Chester that was always running in circles around Spike in the Warner Bros. cartoon. 

Another good comparison!

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, elle said:

They did not seem to have a problem in the 1946 version with Jean Marais, the 1987 version with John Savage, or the more well known TV show with Ron Perlman.   CGI, like make up/prosthetic, when done well can be transforming; when done wrong it reads wrong - not real or something off - and is a distraction from the story.

I haven't seen the latter two but I found the beast cheesy looking in the Marais film as well.

On 3/1/2017 at 4:07 PM, Bill1978 said:

When I first saw the short clip of 'Gaston', my first impression was confusion over why Josh Gad appeared to be playing LeFou with some stereotypical gay mannerism. Seeing it confirmed it that article has disappointed me. Not really sure why, but it has. I mean yay a Disney classic with a gay character and all that but still. In the original I always see LeFou as a little nobody who idolises Gaston and wishes that he could be as awesome as Gaston. When I played LeFou in my local amateur production I played him as someone who admires Gaston and that Gaston is the greatest person in the whole world. I never got any vibe that LeFou was 'lusting' after Gaston, I always interpret him as someone with low self esteem wanting to hang out with the popular jock to make himself feel worthy. I feel this 'change' to LeFou is just a change for change sake and to make it hip to the reddit crowd who overanyalse thigns. Just like making Belle an inventor is unnessary so is making LeFou gay.

To the bolded I don't think Disney made LeFou gay just to be hip or just for the sake of. I think Disney is slowly but surely moving into a very diverse company. I don't care if LeFou is gay, it's not going to be emphasized on and the character has always been just there for me so I don't get the big deal. 

Disney is saying "hey there are gay people, and different cultures and many different people so let's show them" I have no doubt that Disney will write more gay characters into their movies. 

I also think that Disney wants these Princess characters in these live action movies to be as capable and have as much agency as possible. The animated movies were made in the 90s and that was a much different time than now. Now it's about feminism, empowering females and telling girls everywhere that you can do anything you put your mind too, that's why Belle is an inventor. I get why some don't like the changes(cause if it ain't broke, why fix it?)but I don't mind a updated version. 

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, Jazzy24 said:

I also think that Disney wants these Princess characters in these live action movies to be as capable and have as much agency as possible.

I would argue that aside from Mulan, Belle is the one who needs the least updating in order to give her more agency.  Compare to Cinderella, whose goal was to go to a party and eventually land a rich husband (or, as Honest Trailers dubbed her "I Ain't Saying She a Gold Digger").  Hell, even Ariel, who was consumed with curiosity about the rest of the world only did anything about it when she met a cute guy.

• Love 8

From what I've heard, LeFou is not just comic relief in the new version. He was given more depth along with the other characters because it helps with the live action. Everything had to be more realistic, so you couldn't have LeFou getting his teeth knocked out, or having animals sit on him. Also it helped the actors flesh out their roles more. That's why Gaston is now a former soldier who saved the village from marauders. It helps, in a more realistic way, explain why the village adores him. Giving the characters more depth helps with the story I think. Also, the director is gay, so he probably saw this as a good chance to add exclusivity to a Disney movie for those like him, who never see themselves represented in Disney movies.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, starri said:

I would argue that aside from Mulan, Belle is the one who needs the least updating in order to give her more agency.  Compare to Cinderella, whose goal was to go to a party and eventually land a rich husband (or, as Honest Trailers dubbed her "I Ain't Saying She a Gold Digger").  Hell, even Ariel, who was consumed with curiosity about the rest of the world only did anything about it when she met a cute guy.

The "go to a party and land a rich husband" was the step-sisters raison d'etre.  Other than that, I agree with you.  Belle was a breath of fresh air, especially coming after spoiled teenager Ariel.

• Love 4
On 3/12/2017 at 6:55 PM, Trini said:

The 2014 French version seemed to handle the look of the Beast okay.

I'm shook. This is gorgeous.

beauty-and-the-beast-french.jpg

Disney:

beauty-and-the-beast-dan-stevens-slice-6

I mean honestly.

Disney spent millions upon millions on this movie and it just looks so cheap. I dislike it the more I see from it. And this is not the nostalgia factor, if I thought this movie looked remotely good I'd be there opening weekend but it looks actively bad.

Emma's vocals sound like a hundred different takes stitched together. And I don't know what the hell Ariana Grande and John Legend think they're doing on their cover of BATB but no...stop it.

Cleanse your ears:

• Love 5