Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E01: The Dream Begins

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, MyFavShows said:

Yuko annoyed me all around and I didn't find her crying any more endearing than I did Auto Amy's last year - if you're gonna cry about how hard it is an how loney you are coming over to another country for a dance team, just don't do it - it's a just a cheerleading squad where you dance in skimpy outfits and get some reality show "fame".   It's not like you are coming here to escape a national famine or political crisis.  You didn't see Jinelle and Angela blabbering on like that.   I didn't find her dance technique to be all that great either, and her figure is very frail looking - like thin, yes, but not in shape - I'm not sure what the word is for that, but it's not very DCC.  Kind of like that timid Emily girl who was one of the first cuts last year.

From the previews it looks like she also has issues w/ dancing and is called into the office quite a bit.

I'm just not a fan at all.

Angela and Jinelle both come from an English-speaking country. Yuko does not. To compare them to Yuko is apples and oranges. Just not the same thing.

Emily, as Judy said, "can't even pop her head" when she danced. She had no confidence and no curves. Yuko seems very confident and a solid dancer. I think if she were unhealthily thin, Jay would have said it as he openly did in Colby's case. In fact, he was one of Yuko's biggest fans. Had she looked bad in the uniform, Kelli and Judy would have nixed her in a heartbeat. They've done it many times before.

She said she "gets a little lonely sometimes" and yeah, she cried a little. I think if I was being interviewed and someone asked me if I missed home, I'd probably tear up a bit. She didn't sob uncontrollably. Her comment about "It's so hard" clearly was done later in the show, not in the first episode. And it is hard to come from Japan to Texas and learn the language, where the Southern accent can make learning English even harder.  It sounded more like a statement of fact than a complaint to me. 

In the preview, we see Yuko in the office one time and it looks like a Kitty night where anybody is fair game. Can't imagine being under that spotlight. She's not pictured in any of the "this is your last night" office scenes. I don't recall anyone saying she was in the office several times for her dancing. If they did, I missed it. I can, however, see if they called her in to discuss her visa issues often since that has been mentioned as a problem. 

I can admit I'm probably quite biased. I always root for the underdog. And future episodes may prove me wrong about her. I do see why some people think she's annoying. But I like her a lot. 

• Love 12
On Saturday, August 27, 2016 at 9:02 AM, Dccfan126 said:

Only on the Internet would parents supporting their pregnant teenage daughter be viewed as trashy and pathetic:)  The jealousy of these girls in the Dallas dance world seems to run so deep -- definitely not something I would understand as a non-Texan.

FWIW, having known someone in a similar position, everyone is much better off when the mother and child have support from day one. Letting the mom finish school or establish her career is better for everyone in the long 

On Saturday, August 27, 2016 at 9:02 AM, Dccfan126 said:

Only on the Internet would parents supporting their pregnant teenage daughter be viewed as trashy and pathetic:)  The jealousy of these girls in the Dallas dance world seems to run so deep -- definitely not something I would understand as a non-Texan.

FWIW, having known someone in a similar position, everyone is much better off when the mother and child have support from day one. Letting the mom finish school or establish her career is better for everyone in the long 

I wish Jay had segments too.  I really enjoy him as a judge.  He seems very fair.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, ATLGirl said:

She said she "gets a little lonely sometimes" and yeah, she cried a little. I think if I was being interviewed and someone asked me if I missed home, I'd probably tear up a bit. She didn't sob uncontrollably. Her comment about "It's so hard" clearly was done later in the show, not in the first episode. And it is hard to come from Japan to Texas and learn the language, where the Southern accent can make learning English even harder.  It sounded more like a statement of fact than a complaint to me. 

I agree, I don't understand what the problem is here.  Why is admitting that things can be lonely or hard a bad thing?   The interviewer probably asked "what are some of the challenges you have faced coming here?"   I haven't seen enough of Yuko to be a fan or not but I don't understand why what we have seen some far could be interpreted negatively. 

Edited by iloveit
  • Love 6
26 minutes ago, QuiteContrary19 said:

Seriously. Kathryn Dunn cried everytime the camera came on. Yuko travels by herself around the world and she sucks for saying she's lonely?

I thought negatively of KD for the crying like that too.   If not cut or really harshly critized, it's ridiculous.  It's also been reported that Yuko watched MTT all the time to prep, so maybe she thinks thats what everyone does when they are on camera.

• Love 1

Why I watch this show:

(Skip to 24:18)

JUDY (talking head): Most of the time when Kelli and I are discussing a candidate, we're kind of feeding off of each other of who would be a great member of our team. One's saying isn't she pretty, or wouldn't she look great if we just did this, or look at her technique.

Cut to KELLI (deadpan): I don't think she's a real natural beauty.

Edited by huahaha
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, QuiteContrary19 said:

LMAO!!!

Regarding auditions

Kelli: Have they SEEN our uniform?

Jay: She's past her prime

Charlotte: When you look to the left and to the right and see 19 year olds, maybe it's time to move on to your next dream

Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders gold "metal" beauty secrets: Be yourself, that's 

I think it's so rude when Kelli, Judy and Co.say they can't believe so and so came to auditions.  I think it's obvious that these certain girls who are in no way DCC material know that they are not going to make the squad but hey, they have open auditions and those girls have every right to be there.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Gabrielle Tracy said:

I graduated with a BA in journalism the same year my best friend finished a 2 year RN program at the community college.  She had a handful of job offers before she even graduated while I was practically sitting on the side of the road with a sign that says "Will Edit Papers for Food"!

This was exactly my situation when I graduated with a BA in journalism but I stayed on to get a master's in English literature in hopes it would make me more marketable. Nope, it didn't. I could has joined you with that sign easily! ?

• Love 2

I have a Bachelors of Science degree in Psychology and do not feel it has helped me much in finding jobs and I certainly don't think I make more than someone without a degree. Unfortunately, it is all about who you know.  Even though college was a blast for me and I would not trade my experiences there I definitely feel like getting a trade is the way to go.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, huahaha said:

Why I watch this show:

(Skip to 24:18)

JUDY (talking head): Most of the time when Kelli and I are discussing a candidate, we're kind of feeding off of each other of who would be a great member of our team. One's saying isn't she pretty, or wouldn't she look great if we just did this, or look at her technique.

Cut to KELLI (deadpan): I don't think she's a real natural beauty.

and then didn't they cut right to Shelbi? hahahahahaha

• Love 5
12 hours ago, ByTor said:

I thought they did still have Jay & a nutritionist, but they're just not shown on the show.

No Jay is just used for TV now. He judges the beginning parts of auditions until TC. I believe he used to be there for periodic workouts but not at all like what the show used to portray.  This year he gave one workout the girls could attend if they wanted to. Completely not mandatory.  But looking at some of the vets Jay's visits should definitely be part of their weekly routine. I mean especially the pressure they put on them to look the part. Not naming names but certain girls should not be out there in that uniform. It's funny how if they like you the standards are lowered but if your just another face you'll get benched or sent packing. Ufortunately you can't hide anything in those uniforms so I don't know what K&J are thinking putting some girls on the field or doing appearances. If you cut one girl for weight do it for everyone. Or at least bench them until it's under control. No one has tons of weight to lose but 10-15lbs can make a world of difference on a frame.  

As for Yuko I know I'm the minority but I just don't get her appeal. Dancing is mediocre as well as the rest of her. I'm trying to see the stand out appeal but I'm missing it. I feel they dropped the ball on that one. I hear the girls like her but we're talking making the team quality. I feel other girls would have been better ambassadors.

• Love 2

Last year, I got the sense that it was truly the first time Madeline was away from her family and was getting a taste of life as an adult. That probably had a big impact on her. I can't imagine being under the pressure of being expected to do really well in training camp AND be out on her own in a big city. It looked like she was pretty sheltered in her mom's studio before that.

She still looks young, yes. But she definitely seems more relaxed and at peace with herself and who she is. That's bound to translate into better dancing and being less freaked out/nervous.

• Love 6

I saw a picture somewhere of Madeline with her mom last year, and they both had the black hair.   It was not flattering on either of them.  I am glad it is softened and I love the curls.  I think she is more toned this year, but was disappointed we didn't get to see her dance.  Looking forward to the next episode and hope we get to see more dancing & solos!

• Love 5

I think part of Mad's appeal to me is how natural and pretty she is - we complain a lot here about make up being caked on, fake lashes, hair extensions, $$$ costumes, etc. and Madeline is the opposite of that.  Totally natural hair, light on the make up and her costumes are VERY simple.  I just admire how much she stands out with her big smile and talent, not all the fancy stuff.  I'm NOT hating on the make up and costumes, etc. because I get that is the world of pro cheer.  I'm just saying I appreciate someone like Madeline who comes from a different angle and really shines. 

Also not stressing over tears she had so far. it was more just natural emotion than last year's freakouts. 

• Love 11

See I think the thing that helped Madeline's look in the episode was that she DID finally cake on the makeup.   She certainly wasn't natural looking in any of her interviews/footage.   She had on bright fucia lipstick, a ton of eye make-up/blush, and a spray tan.   Her curly hair may be natural, but she was definitely sporting DCC glam for everything else.

The thing I dislike the most about her is the crying.   She needs to stop that!

Edited by MyFavShows
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, LaurenBrook said:

I guess to me it didn't look caked on, at least comparatively lol 

Well as Charlotte says, we all like different things! :) 

I didn't think so either. Of course she had make up on, but I could see a big difference between hers and a lot of the other girls.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, LaurenBrook said:

I guess to me it didn't look caked on, at least comparatively lol 

Well as Charlotte says, we all like different things! :) 

IKR! When she's sitting next to someone who has had foundation/blush applied with a paint sprayer and spackle, Maddie hardly looks like she's wearing any of it.

I did giggle a bit when Charlotte suggested Emily "soften her makeup" a bit because of her stare effect. I wanted to say if Emily didn't soften it after watching herself from Season 9, she never will. Not happening. She did seem more polished, however, in dancing and maturity. 

Edited by ATLGirl
  • Love 3

Was I the only one who kept scanning the crowd for someone with wet dance pants to try to figure out who peed on the floor?  Just me, oh well I love the underbelly of this show.  I dont know how these girls dance in full makeup and hair.  I'd be sweating like an animal.  I need a full on Beyonce wind fan on me at all times.  

• Love 6

I don't fault any of these girls for crying because making DCC has been a lifelong dream for many of them.  The process seems to be extremely difficult to go through and I can see how it would be incredibly emotional to go through.  

However, I do think there is a difference between the way Madeline acted last year as opposed to auto Amy for example.  Every time Madeline said something she was extremely humble whereas Amy was like "yeah I am the best and I totally deserve this"  and was obnoxious about it.

• Love 6

I think Madeline looks much better this year. The only problem I have is that she looks sooo young. I legit feel awkward looking at the young ones trying to be sexy like Madeline & Jenna, especially the swimsuit photos. Jenna has grown up a lot on the squad but she still looks young (her voice doesn't help). Heather is another young looking one but I think she has sex appeal so she will be alright. Just compare them to someone like Holly, who (I think) is the same age. 

• Love 2

Emily looked breathtaking!!! As soon as I saw her I gasped!!! What improvement!!! I know in the dance world she's not the best dancer but she is better now after the Mavs than I've ever seen her. If I were K or J I would have kept her around for the holy cow she's hot factor lol!! She would have been a knockout on that field!!! 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Dancemajor said:

Emily looked breathtaking!!! As soon as I saw her I gasped!!! What improvement!!! I know in the dance world she's not the best dancer but she is better now after the Mavs than I've ever seen her. If I were K or J I would have kept her around for the holy cow she's hot factor lol!! She would have been a knockout on that field!!! 

Yep I thought she looked much less "stare-ish" than last time - but the camera wasn't on her long enough to really see it if it was still happening. (I guess it musta been, as Kelli and others brought it up ?) It looked discomforting last time, but this time round she just looks so polished and totally gorgeous from what I saw.

last time she was on, she actually cracked & showed real emotion (and good humour) when she was called into the office to get cut. She seemed so much more real and relatable. I hope she gets the performance face down.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, JayDKay said:

I think Madeline looks much better this year. The only problem I have is that she looks sooo young. I legit feel awkward looking at the young ones trying to be sexy like Madeline & Jenna, especially the swimsuit photos. Jenna has grown up a lot on the squad but she still looks young (her voice doesn't help). Heather is another young looking one but I think she has sex appeal so she will be alright. Just compare them to someone like Holly, who (I think) is the same age. 

I think Heather and Allie are young looking, Allie more so than Heather. 

On 8/29/2016 at 9:16 PM, QuiteContrary19 said:

I'm in love with the nude with tons of crystals a la Schraminator's audition. I mean, it's Brittney freakin Schram, so she could rock a wet band aid and a cobweb like she meant to do that, but still. Love it.

OMG, you make me LOL all the time! Agreed I loved Schram's but Jenna's did not fit her well at all. The tan outfit and the bleached blonde hair....bad move.

• Love 2
On 8/27/2016 at 4:33 PM, RazzleberryPie said:

To quote Dolly Parton - it takes a whole lot of money to look that cheap.

Tasha doesn't look cheap to me, more Very Expensive High Maintenance Playboy Styled. Somebody has been bankrolling Tasha and her daughter more than partially for a long time.

Exactly. I hesitated for awhile to put what I'm about to say out here but here it goes. Her daughter's dad could very well be an NBA player, if not NBA someone with a big paycheck and if so her child support check is large!! She has that look that attracts all men, especially wealthy ones. I'm sure she has used it to her advantage. 

What does her husband do for a living? 

1 minute ago, DCCFAN71 said:

Exactly. I hesitated for awhile to put what I'm about to say out here but here it goes. Her daughter's dad could very well be an NBA player, if not NBA someone with a big paycheck and if so her child support check is large!! She has that look that attracts all men, especially wealthy ones. I'm sure she has used it to her advantage. 

What does her husband do for a living? 

He works in gas and oil.  No idea about her daughter's biological father.  But looking at her mom's social media and pics in her home, etc. I would say they don't hurt for money.  And again - you can rake in serious $$ these days from ads on social media.  She seems to be a smart business woman with that stuff so good for her. If I had her looks I would absolutely use it to my advantage (modeling, I mean lol)!! #sosorrynotsorry 

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, QuiteContrary19 said:

UHM......!

"That show will follow us into the space regardless, but we've talked about having the next series of auditions actually out here and having something a little more public facing," Anderson said, suggesting fans may be able to watch while the show is being filmed.

http://www.guidelive.com/the-star/2016/08/21/dallas-cowboys-cheerleaders-step-new-eracloser-public-eye

LET'S ALL GO! lol

Just now, QuiteContrary19 said:

That's exactly what I was thinking haha! Stay at the Gaylord Texan and get a tour bus full of persnickety critical DCC SUPERFANS!

Kelli and Judy may just die. We'll be in the stands, whispering behind our hands to each other.

11 minutes ago, QuiteContrary19 said:

We need to bring our own scoring system cards for both the auditioning girls and the staff and alumni.

Omg, they seriously need to pick one of us for their panel interviews.

17 minutes ago, QuiteContrary19 said:

HAHAHA!!! Oh yes yes yes, We could represent the uber-critical, conspiracy theory, mountain out of molehill superfan base with our constant theorizing and what-iffing!

"We noticed on Previously TV that you had a run in your tights during a performance and we were just wondering if you're homeless"

HAHA!!

LMAO that's great. "I've been cruising your social media..." all ominously and then just say something random

Keep the discussion on the episode and not if someone is a whore or how she was able to take care of her child. All of you have been ask already to keep the talk about the episode and not discuss a certain girl who had a child without being married.

Yes, you can talk about Tasha since she was shown in the episode. The discussion turning to is she a whore, or calling out other posters is not acceptable on here. The mods want to keep the discussion on the episode itself, and not into the Tasha and her life after having her daughter debate, Yes, her having a child was brought up in the episode, but lets keep the discussion on this and not the some posters think she is whore, who got her pregnant, who supported her and her daughter, or calling out other posters.

5 hours ago, QuiteContrary19 said:

We need to bring our own scoring system cards for both the auditioning girls and the staff and alumni.

I developed this system to make it easy for us.  Yes if you really like someone and want to see them again, no if you've seen enough, and if you're not sure, then just put a maybe.  (Someone had to say it ?) 

Edited by VintageJ
  • Love 10

Urgh so I'm working long days Friday Saturday and Sunday and we're 6 hours ahead here so I won't get to watch the episode til MONDAY! Hope you all enjoy the ep, can't wait to catch up ? 

15 minutes ago, cherryblossom said:

They are replaying the promo for tonight's episode that we saw at the end of the 1st one(justifying for mods why it it ok to post it here because episode 2 isn't open yet)!  I noticed towards the end that one of the files says CMT Movie...hmmmmmm

You can take it to the DCC Media thread since they both are set up for spoilers.

27 minutes ago, missmansfield said:

How do we get to that thread?

An episode discussion thread has been set up for discussing episodes. Guidelines and rules apply. If you do not want to know what will happen in future episodes, I suggest do not go into the thread since it has been set up for spoilers and spoiler speculation.

9 hours ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

That's exactly what I was thinking haha! Stay at the Gaylord Texan and get a tour bus full of persnickety critical DCC SUPERFANS!

I say we all sign up to audition, show up in nude colored outfits (heavily bedazzled), and have our 90 seconds of fame. We do our best to show up in the circus music section; routines should include at least one rolling around on the floor, twerking, and some shimmying.  We could have orange streaks from our self tanner and really teased hair. For those who want to take it seriously, points to making it to semis.  And we'll all put on "Previously TV" t-shirts while waiting to see if our numbers are posted!

• Love 15