Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E01: The Dream Begins

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

I was surprised there were a few girls who didn't get much screen time in the first episode. 

Spoiler

Especially Kelsey, Amy & Madeleine, since we know all 3 made it in to TC and 2 of them made the team!

Edited by SopranoKris
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, PBSLover said:

We did a list of quotes from the show over the past 10 years.  New one: “Sometimes you pee on yourself!"

Not so far-fetched for me, but then I'm more than twice the age of most of these girls. ;)

• Love 6

About Emily's eyes, she has to have seen all the episodes from her previous season where they criticized her eyes. How many years has it been and she hasn't tried to tone down the eyeliner? She could at least switch to a dark brown instead of the black and not apply it so heavily. Other than that she is absolutely beautiful. 

• Love 11
5 hours ago, Dccfan126 said:

Only on the Internet would parents supporting their pregnant teenage daughter be viewed as trashy and pathetic:)  The jealousy of these girls in the Dallas dance world seems to run so deep -- definitely not something I would understand as a non-Texan.

FWIW, having known someone in a similar position, everyone is much better off when the mother and child have support from day one. Letting the mom finish school or establish her career is better for everyone in the long run. 

Thinking Tasha and her families priorties are off isn't just a Texas thing. Besides she is originally from Utah, and was/is active LDS, so an unwed teen mother is a huge tragedy in that community. I totally get where she got a lot of flack. Many cultures really do still think unwed teenage parenthood is a huge faux pas, scandal, embarrassment, self inflicted mistake, etc. 

Now I do think it is wonderful that her parents had the love and means to support her and not kick her to the curb, but I firmly believe she should've been encouraged to gain an education or training to support her own self, not style herself as a Playboy bunny and be an unpaid pro cheerleader. 

4 hours ago, MrsEVH said:

Is this episode on cmt yet?

Yes. That's where I watched it.

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Thinking Tasha and her families priorties are off isn't just a Texas thing. Besides she is originally from Utah, and was/is active LDS, so an unwed teen mother is a huge tragedy in that community. I totally get where she got a lot of flack. Many cultures really do still think unwed teenage parenthood is a huge faux pas, scandal, embarrassment, self inflicted mistake, etc. 

Now I do think it is wonderful that her parents had the love and means to support her and not kick her to the curb, but I firmly believe she should've been encouraged to gain an education or training to support her own self, not style herself as a Playboy bunny and be an unpaid pro cheerleader. 

I agree.... It's so strange . My parents would've supported me by watching my child and helping financially so I could earn a degree. If I told my dad I wanted he and my mom to be my bank and daycare so I could be an nba cheerleader, they would laughed hysterically and told me to get real.

• Love 4

I get a lot of the skepticism and eye rolls over Tasha because she is a little over the top, and being a pro dancer wouldn't have been my priority as a 19 -year-old mother either. But the assumption that her parents have been her bank is IMO probably pretty far from the truth. I think people underestimate how much these girls make through their Instagram and social media in general. I guarantee she has been making money off of Instagram for a while. I'm sure her parents have been there for her and helped support her, but I am not under the impression that they took care of her financially 100% until the day she got married to her current husband.

• Love 1

To quote Dolly Parton - it takes a whole lot of money to look that cheap.

Tasha doesn't look cheap to me, more Very Expensive High Maintenance Playboy Styled. Somebody has been bankrolling Tasha and her daughter more than partially for a long time.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, SSAHotchner said:

About Emily's eyes, she has to have seen all the episodes from her previous season where they criticized her eyes. How many years has it been and she hasn't tried to tone down the eyeliner? She could at least switch to a dark brown instead of the black and not apply it so heavily. Other than that she is absolutely beautiful. 

Uh, it’s not her make-up.  :0]

On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 10:51 AM, LaurenBrook said:

I need to rewatch it, I guess, because I didn't get that angle at ALL - I didn't think they portrayed her as a 'struggling single mom' (i.e. poor mom living on the streets) so much as a young women who had big dreams and lots of potential and having to fight back against criticism from others that she couldn't do any of that now that she had a baby. I'm sure she was in a similar position to Morgan - supportive parents who let her live at home and helped take care of Ivy when she was dancing.  And she gets blasted constantly for all her modeling pics and ads but that's dolla dolla bills, y'all.  We can disagree on proper ways to make money but at least she wasn't just being a lazy butt sitting around doing nothing and taking advantage of her privilege (if she even had that, i'm just assuming).  

Again, Im' sure someone will respond to tell me what getting a REAL job means and REAL struggle so I will just say in advance I agree to disagree :)  

Jacie, Holly A and Mia helped Judy teach the combo. 

And I don't think we can go off numbers to see how many total were there...I think people have said before they don't go directly in order. Correct me if I'm wrong on that! 

TOTALLY agree with the Tasha comment.  She has been given the gift of beauty and she SHOULD utilize that gift.  I have not seen modeling pictures of her but hey, you do what you gotta do in life to get through it (as long as you are not hurting anyone of course).

7 hours ago, Dccfan126 said:

Only on the Internet would parents supporting their pregnant teenage daughter be viewed as trashy and pathetic:)  The jealousy of these girls in the Dallas dance world seems to run so deep -- definitely not something I would understand as a non-Texan.

FWIW, having known someone in a similar position, everyone is much better off when the mother and child have support from day one. Letting the mom finish school or establish her career is better for everyone in the long run. 

I agree.  What do people want Tashas parents to do?  Kick her out when she got pregnant??!!  Who would that benefit? It IS great that her parents supported her.  I think that is definitely going to make her daughter a better person when she grows up.

Edited by missmansfield
missed word
  • Love 9

I don't really think Emily's eyes or her makeup are a problem as much as how her forehead doesn't move and her expressions never change.   I wonder if she gets injections in her forehead/face, cause if she does, she should stop.  If she doesn't, I actually wonder if the issue will improve as she gets older and she actually starts to get some character (i.e. Wrinkles ;)) in her forehead/face.   How old is she?

I personally think she's absolutely gorgeous, but I can see how others would say her expression is frozen and her eyes too shocked looking.  I'm looking forward to seeing how things go for her on the show - she seems to have a really sweet and fun personality.

Edited by MyFavShows
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, Originalroux said:

In the name of all that's holy I beg you, NO to the red wig!!! We redheads only have one Disney princess - Ariel - and don't need Emily as another. Why not a brunette wig and she can be Belle or Jasmine or Snow White or Rapunzel?  Or let her go with her dark blonde / brown hair and she could be Bambi. 

She would be a great belle

The episode did feel different. My husband and I were both bummed there weren't any "funnies" while showing prelims. That's one of our favorite parts. Here's to hoping they had to shorten it this year because there's a lot of "good stuff" they need to show in later episodes! Really looking forward to next episode.

I have to be the one that says that I feel Kelli looks absolutely beautiful. She looks a heck of a lot better  than most middle aged women. If she is confident in those dresses, then that's all that matters! If I look like her in 20 years, I would be thrilled!

Kylie is just an absolute doll. Amy did not annoy me at all. Regarding Yuko, my husband and I couldn't stop laughing. She is something else. 

Okay, I have to stick up for Tasha real quick and I am not even sure I like the girl yet. With my second son that was born last thanksgiving, I knew his birthdate in advance due to a scheduled C section. I elected to wear  makeup and have my hair done for his delivery so that a little part of me would still feel "normal" when you feel like crap afterwards. I wanted to look back on his delivery and be proud of those moment and not be like "ugh put those pictures away!" Who are we to judge? She was a teenager who's world was about to change. Maybe she just wanted to hang on to that "normalcy" I can't blame her

• Love 9

I finally got to watch episode 1. I thought it was okay overall.

Maggie is so cute and well spoken. I also like Madeline even though we barely saw her. 

I never knew Kelsie had a tattoo.

They didn't meanly show the bad dancers this year, or did I just miss them?

The girl that won the dance team award was so sweet. Then, Charlotte kind of dissed her. She was too visible. She can go back to her cave now.

the pee thing was just...ugh...no.

I was okay with Candace. Especially when she defended the pee thing. That was super sweet.

just my thoughts.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Oklahomama said:

KOkay, I have to stick up for Tasha real quick and I am not even sure I like the girl yet. With my second son that was born last thanksgiving, I knew his birthdate in advance due to a scheduled C section. I elected to wear  makeup and have my hair done for his delivery so that a little part of me would still feel "normal" when you feel like crap afterwards. I wanted to look back on his delivery and be proud of those moment and not be like "ugh put those pictures away!" Who are we to judge? She was a teenager who's world was about to change. Maybe she just wanted to hang on to that "normalcy" I can't blame her

I did the exact same with my second baby.... Scheduled c section. I had a spray tan, hair blown out the day before and wore makeup into the OR. Cuz let me tell you... You feel like CRAP after a section. Absolute crap. So I don't knock Tasha for that at all. 

I don't know how I feel about Tasha yet. Mmhhhh.....

• Love 5

I have to rewatch again from the dvr because I was trying to watch it and Big Brother live eviction at the same time!!! 

What I did catch, Tasha came off more personable than I originally thought.  Amy Simone has my heart.  She needs to rock it.  I'm kind of disappointed that they spoiled the TCC themselves by showing Amy and Kyndall in pink.  They used the same stock footage of Kyndall dancing in the bathroom.  Kelsey is stunning as usual! I thought Emily Roslyn looked great too.  

My favorite after ep. 1 is Madeline she looks so much better with her curls! 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, missmansfield said:

I agree.  What do people want Tashas parents to do?  Kick her out when she got pregnant??!!  Who would that benefit? It IS great that her parents supported her.  I think that is definitely going to make her daughter a better person when she grows up.

Uhm. Maybe put the child up for adoption and give her a family with a mom and a dad.

1 hour ago, jcc227 said:

Uhm. Maybe put the child up for adoption and give her a family with a mom and a dad.

????????????

(my emojis were posted bc the original post left me speechless. I'm in no way supportive of the post that Tasha should've given up her baby for adoption.)

Edited by PrincessLeia
  • Love 10
5 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Was Tasha's daughter's father ever in the picture? why am I thinking she was married before? 

I don't know..... I thought I heard she had been married multiple times, but it doesn't seem like he was in the picture. We need Internet detective.

29 minutes ago, jcc227 said:

Well ok. ?

So anyway, it was interesting watching the new episode fresh off of the press with the original music still intact. As the section played where they used the Meghan Trainor song "No," I was wondering what awful music they'll replace it with later. I'm so used to watching the old seasons with musac inserted after the fact that it was weird hearing a "current" song from a "relevant" artist.

Edited by Oranaiche
  • Love 1

Keep the conversation on what happened in the episode. This is not a place to discuss should she or should she not have put her baby up for adoption or is she a bad mother for keeping her daughter. Also do not send a report to the report center without informing the mods why you sent in the report. The report center is not to be used to go after another poster. If you have a problem with a poster, use the ignore feature, use the report center for the right reasons, or contact one of the mods. Posts going off topic will be hidden.

59 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

From what we saw, Tasha can dance and looks the part. I just wish they'd totally skipped over the Teen Mom stuff and focused on her dancing.

I agree.  Women on reality shows play the single mom card too much.  JMHO.

Edited by MrsEVH
  • Love 2

Went back and watched for a fourth time and my comments, generalized to avoid spoiling:

I like Royesha so much!! 

It took me till this fourth time to notice the Katie girl some of you talked about. She does NOT have the DCC look at all and to be blunt, it's her nose. But her dancing isn't there either. She has a lot of work to do to make the impact she's hoping to make.

Amy (Auto Amy) is a beauty. She looks fabulous and I'm glad they noticed and talked about her evolution 

Yuko has an international and universal "it" quality. I'd be fine with her being an Ambassador for the DCC based on what I've e seen so far.

Mandy is amazingly beautiful- reminds me of retired vet Lauren.

Tasha-  At the end of the day, she is a performer just like most of these girls. So many people are in love w/Jenn K. Isn't Tasha "on" like Jenn K?  Sure, she has a game face. She is practiced and ready with her public presence. But at the end of the day that is what is asked of DCC. She may end up being a really strong ambassador because of her polish. It's almost like the same things that make Jenn K a rock star make Tasha a villain to some people ? I do think there's something off or weird with her look. She probably looks like an entirely different person without makeup and is terrified someone will discover she's hiding a plain girl lol

More thoughts but they'll have to wait.

Edited to add about Emily! I like Emily. If you judged her as a new contestant, she makes a great impression! She has matured a lot and evolved her look. She deserves the same fresh new consideration that people are giving to Amy or Kyndall  or even former veteran Jenna.

Edited by GingerJ
Forgot Emily

I would've been happy to hear only one sentence about Tasha's (cute) daughter and spend the rest of the time on Tasha's actual dancing/talent, or that of others. Especially these days when it's becoming so passé and insulting to refer to factors that are irrelevant to a woman's achievements (marital status etc).

And I certainly don't care to hear about elements of someone's backstory when it is presented with a veneer of stigma being alluded to! Like there's anything to be ashamed of in doing the best you can of motherhood whilst continuing to pursue a sense of self and career beyond 'mum life'. (Yes, cheerleading is not a well-paid career but it seems like Tasha is doing pretty well in monetising her appearance, and good for her!)

• Love 8

Rather  late as I've only just watched it on YouTube *shakes fist at British TV stations for not televising* but here are my thoughts.

Yay for original music! I too am sick of the muzak.

Candice Romo.. Bless you for your comments about the pee! I know nothing about who Candice is but she seems nice! Can we have her instead of Melissa please?

Madeline looks a million times better than last year, I'd forgotten how harsh her hair was.

Emily Roslyn you are beyond gorgeous but I do wish she would tone down the eyeliner a tiny bit, I think the under eye bit is a little harsh, like another poster said perhaps brown would be nice. I'd forgotten what she looked like before too, she really has blossomed.

Love Maggie, Heather O and Royesha. 

Auto Amy.. still does nothing for me I'm afraid.

Gorgeous Kelsey where were you?? I thought she would have been more prominant as a returner. Perhaps in future episodes.

And as for the Caila clip of next week.. I'm dreading it. I don't like seeing people being humiliated or embarrassed. I am one of the few people that was glad they didn't show many hopefuls who were seriously never going to make it. That stuff just makes me curl up inside ?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Gillandherkittens said:

As another UK fan I'm shaking my fist at the TV companies. Will ITVbe show DCMtT this season. Only managed to see the CMT sneak previews on YouTube so far, but gagging to see the rest. NOT FAIR! I demand my DCC rights,?

Sent you a link! JC123 found this gem on youtube!

• Love 1

We have a family in the neighborhood who's daughter had a baby the summer before her senior year. She quit cheering, took college credit classes her year, went through basic training for the National Guard and is now in an  ASN program. I am amazed at her maturity and  wise decisions for their future. 

If Tasha went to college while her daughter was a baby, or any other educational/vocational training, is love to hear them clarify that. 

• Love 2

Lots of great DCC's didn't even attend college. We all love Jenn K and she's a barre instructor without a college degree. 

Some people aren't meant for college, and you definitely don't need a degree to be a blogger/social media clothing rep

• Love 3

Doesn't Jenn K have a marketing degree? She also doesn't have a child the two don't equate. 

Baxk to the episode - Royesha is gorgeous. 

It did seem like they skipped over a lot of the bad dancers and girls that were totally out of shape, but I'm sort of glad. Those girls were usually clueless, but what's the point of rolling eyes and snickering, after you've taken their money for a registration fee.

• Love 3

Since there were only 200 some who went, there may not have been very many objectively awful candidates who showed up. Headband girl was in a quick shot and there were some low energy looking girls, but I'd imagine the show results in fewer people willing to take the chance.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Josreason said:

I rewatched and now I am loving Maggie! I also like Royesha.  My question is why no Shelbi feature this time? She was like the main TCC last year that was featured besides Mad, Kyndall, and Selina. 

Maybe she didn't want to be shown because her solo was so awful or her boyfriend's  IG rant got her cut out.

Edited by MrsEVH
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, MrsEVH said:
Spoiler

Maybe she didn't want to be shown because her solo was so awful or her boyfriend's  IG rant got her cut out.

Spoiler

What eventually got her cut?

You can PM me if this shouldn't be answered here.

That makes sense.  I thought they were too Yuko heavy Ep. 1. I brings me back to yoshiko in season 1. Even then I don't think she had that much screen time back then.  Overall I was impressed  with everyone they featured in semis.  I feel like it's going to be a kyndall madeline Amy and Tasha season so we will have a lot of invisibles until their cut episode. 

Some of the best DCC were "invisible" TCC on the show.  Jacie and Kinzie are the best example in recent memory. (they are never mentioned hardly in season 7) The only 2nd year who didn't get airtime hardly was Amy L, but I guess she is a solid performer. 

I think it was hair powder,  I use it.  It is basically cornstarch and it gives your hair such great volume!  (I use it because my hair is so flat at the roots- not so I can have Dallas hair! lol!)

• Love 4