Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: The Veteran in a New Field

The city is in a panic after the SBK’s accomplice strikes again. As Alison enlists Brady's help to clear her name and find the real culprit, Tessa suspects that Madeline knows more than she's letting on and Cam is forced to make a decision about Sophie's custody of Jack.

"Painted by Winslow Homer - Painted through the summer and fall of 1865, not long after the nation came to grips with Robert E. Lee's surrender and mourned President Lincoln's assassination—both of which occurred during the second week of April—Homer's canvas shows an emblematic farmer who is a Union veteran, as is signified by his discarded jacket and canteen at the lower right."

gAM2mcU.jpg?1

Once again Garrett is back on the suspect list?  I want Garrett to kill his idiot brother-in-law, and feed him to the chipper along with the skeleton he's digging up.  Jack can take out the rest of his idiot family.

Why are Maddie's children surprised she lied to them?

Someone (maybe Mitchell) was SBK, someone (Garrett, Mayor, Caleb) was SBK's accomplice, there might be a copy cat killer, or someone who wants revenge on the Hawthornes who killed the reporter, or both a copy cat and a different person who wants revenge?  That's way to many killers running around.

If this show ends on a cliffhanger, and they plan to bring it back next summer, I won't be watching.  I learned my lesson from Lost.

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, TigerLynx said:

Once again Garrett is back on the suspect list?  I want Garrett to kill his idiot brother-in-law, and feed him to the chipper along with the skeleton he's digging up.  Jack can take out the rest of his idiot family.

Why are Maddie's children surprised she lied to them?

Someone (maybe Mitchell) was SBK, someone (Garrett, Mayor, Caleb) was SBK's accomplice, there might be a copy cat killer, or someone who wants revenge on the Hawthornes who killed the reporter, or both a copy cat and a different person who wants revenge?  That's way to many killers running around.

If this show ends on a cliffhanger, and they plan to bring it back next summer, I won't be watching.  I learned my lesson from Lost.

I hope not for the cliffhanger, but still.  They're laying it on thick with Garrett.

They advertised the show as a 13-episode murder mystery, which leads me to believe that it is intended to wrap up in one season, like Harper's Island did.

There is just no way to get all these clues and red herrings into a coherent scenario. First of all, who is the guy in the grave? Best guess is that he's the man who tried to kill young Garrett and the body Cam saw Dad drag down the stairs. The circumstances of his death have to be the secret known to Mitch, Maddie, and Garrett. The most logical inference is that Garrett killed him in self-defense but there was some reason they had to cover up the death and send Garrett away. But where could this guy fit in to SBK? I haven't a clue.

Thank God the FBI kicked Brady off the case--not that he paid them any attention.

• Love 3

I started to google molasses + Boston, but reality would spoil it. The advice to keep his Jackness was a true Addams Family moment, insane but sweet. 

Sophie was an uncomfortable break from the comedy. 

The thing about Cutter/Conley's story is that it doesn't explain why SBK#2 would have a motive to kill the reporter. The suggested motive for killing the blind woman, somehow recognizing someone at the funeral, seems a little thin. 

Christina's disappearance is suggestive. 

4 minutes ago, sjohnson said:

The suggested motive for killing the blind woman, somehow recognizing someone at the funeral, seems a little thin. 

I assumed that the killer was living with the blind woman and he had brought the program back from the funeral. He couldn't be sure she wouldn't talk, eventually. This would explain his access to the car her husband owned.

• Love 3

How the hell is Garrett still on the suspect list?  Honestly at this point I think if it is him it will be the only disappointing reveal.  

I did like the scene between Cam and Sophie when he confronted her about the "candy".

• Love 2
8 hours ago, RogerDodger said:

Exchange of the night:

Cam: "We're feeding him too much sugar."

Maddie: "Yes, sugar is the problem here." 

That was the best scene of the night. At this point, I'm really just watching for Virginia Madsen's snark. 

But I just couldn't get passed Tessa being able to get Caleb's name and number from the home phone. From the tone of the call, it seems like Maddie called him. If so, there would be no name and number on the caller ID. What you'd have to do is hit redial and quickly write down the number, before the call went all the way through. Am I insane for getting really hung up on this detail?

• Love 2

The only way I can make sense of any of this, and even then it doesn't really make sense is:

SBK/accomplice is in the grave Garrett is digging up.  Garrett killed him Mitchell/Maddie covered it up (not sure why), that was the body Mitchell drug down the stairs.  Garrett/Mitchell/Maddie had something on SBK/accomplice they used to make him stop killing.  Now SBK/accomplice is killing again (not sure why and not sure why Garrett/Maddie still aren't talking).  How would telling the truth have hurt the Hawthornes back when all this first happened and now?

Also, serial killers can't stop.  They are either stopped (prison, dead, etc.), they move on to a new location, or they are really good at covering their tracks.  So back to this isn't a real serial killer so what is the reason for the murders.

I think I have now officially given this more thought than the writers did.

• Love 3

Okay episode, better than last week's. I'm actually looking forward to the resolution of the scene between Garrett and Brody (though I'm sure there's a high probability of it being disappointing).

Maddie's snark was great, but my favorite light scene was Brody and Alison trying to guess the combination to the reporter's safe. "Maury Povich's birthday?" came out of nowhere and made me laugh.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, sugarbaker design said:

So it was perfectly acceptable to Cam that he and Sophia were active drug addicts trying to raise a son, but it became unacceptable when Sophia used Jack to procure her stuff?  Jack deserves better than Sophia and Cam.

I think he was originally looking at Sophie's addiction behavior as being similar to his.  We saw that when he fell off the wagon he went searching for drugs and then sought out dealers himself.  It also seemed like he/they mostly got high when Jack was with the family/away (Tessa walking in on them shooting up and demanding he go to rehab was the only scene I can think of where Jack was present and it was because Tessa brought him).  So, since he assumed that Sophie behaved like he did, he didn't want to punish her for being an addict.  He may even have thought that Sophie would seek rehab herself as a result of the shared custody.  Then he realized that Sophie was using Jack as her mule and, while a court would probably believe that Jack just thought he was buying expensive candy (he's never been to a drugstore?), he would still be the one initially arrested if the cops showed up during one of the buys.  And we know that Jack would probably just be fascinated but Cam would assume he'd be terrified and Cam would be terrified himself.  So now he's done giving Sophie the benefit of the doubt and taking full custody will keep Jack out of that kind of situation.  Cam probably thinks this might be the moment when she realizes that she also needs to go to rehab and get better.  I think his anger was what kept him from ordering she go to rehab like Tessa did with him because that's what he should have started with.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

So it was perfectly acceptable to Cam that he and Sophia were active drug addicts trying to raise a son, but it became unacceptable when Sophia used Jack to procure her stuff?  Jack deserves better than Sophia and Cam.

Cam has made efforts to get clean and has never used Jack as a mule.   Sophia has never wanted to get clean and still Cam hasn't wanted to outright take Jack away from her believing they are good for each other at least until he finds out Sophia is actively using Jack to get her drugs.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4

There's nothing worse than a reformed addict or a reformed cheater when it comes to judging others.  I'm kidding sort of.  Cam has traded one addiction for another.  Being involved with BJL from the clinic, even as friends, is a bad idea.

My latest lame theory.  Twins have the same DNA.  Mitchell had a twin.

Edited by TigerLynx
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, TigerLynx said:

SBK/accomplice is in the grave Garrett is digging up.  Garrett killed him Mitchell/Maddie covered it up (not sure why),

Yes, the only thing that makes sense as to the identity of the guy in the grave is that he is one of the two SBKs, tried to kill Garrett (a rich guy like the others SBK targeted), but Garrett had his knife handy and killed him. Mom and Dad help him cover up and then send him away (for his own safety from the other SBK?). Does this mean then that Mitch was not SBK? Did accomplice somehow get himself jailed for other crimes and has just got out? Perhaps seeing him on the loose is what made Mitch have his heart attack and then decide they must tell the truth--perhaps because he fears the accomplice will start killing again. The bottom line, whoever the SBK who is still alive is, it is someone Maddie, Mitch and Garrett felt it necessary to protect for 14 years.

Why does Garrett suddenly run to pulverize the body? Has something surfaced that would lead authorities to this remote spot? Otherwise he should just let the bones lie, especially as his attempts to destroy them have led Brady right to the body.

As for the returned accomplice, I can only imagine that there is a secret, probably illegitimate, Hawthorne child who was farmed out to a poor family, discovered the truth, and went to set up the Hawthornes for abandoning him or her.

I think this show had enough story for about six episodes, and tried to stretch it out for thirteen. That's why it feels like it's going in circles. "It's Garrett!" "No it's not!" "Yes it is!" "No it's not!" "Yes it is!" "No it's not!" "Yes it is!" 

Part of the problem is they conceded that Mitchell was the SBK too quickly (regardless of whether or not it's true). That takes away the rest of the family's right to righteous indignation every time the cops show up to question them about the accomplice. They don't get to be all huffy about it once they owned up to their patriarch being the killer. One of them being the accomplice is a reasonable assumption.

OK, now clearly Jack is disturbed. On top of that it's just been publicly revealed that his grandfather was a notorious serial killer. Who in the hell thought it was a good idea to let this kid get up on stage and gleefully extoll the the grisly details of a historical disaster? Why the hell was the audience just sitting there chuckling? Ha ha ha his grandpappy killed lots of people and this kid takes delight in tragedy, isn't that cute? 

I can't believe how tone-deaf this show is sometimes. It's a wonder nobody has slapped a straight jacket on this kid and thrown him into a padded cell by now. He mutilated the neighbor's cat and almost drowned his cousins. For God's sake, stop pretending he just has a quirk.

As for Garrett, it's pretty darn lucky the cashier at the hardware store never watches the news, because the last thing an accused serial killer should be doing right after he gets out of jail is buying a wood chipper. That's not too suspicious. And why on earth does this skeleton have be dug up and pulverized now? It seemed pretty well hidden out there in the middle of nowhere, who was he afraid was going to find it?

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, Cardie said:

Did accomplice somehow get himself jailed for other crimes and has just got out? Perhaps seeing him on the loose is what made Mitch have his heart attack and then decide they must tell the truth

Could be but the first episode sure made it seem like Mitch's heart attack was in response to Allison's campaign speech claim that finding the killer would be her top priority and how she would not rest until the truth was out and justice was served.  

All of the possible explanations are fun, but they're all for naught, because you all know it's Dylan Bruce.  :)   It's either him or a twin.  I've said before that the killer is Dylan Bruce and that Mitchell isn't dead.  Either Mitchell isn't dead or he has a twin.  The fact that the investigation keeps focusing on Garrett is an indication to me that it's clearly not him.  And there's only 3 episodes left, so they better get to it quick.

Not really sure why Garrett would dig up those bones, I'm assuming they've been buried for at least 14 years, so why bother?

Glad that Brady finally got kicked off the case.  Amazed that the FBI (?) guy didn't know from the start that he was married to a Hawthorne.  My question is, now that we know that Irritating Police Lady destroyed evidence and that Mayor Conley had a connection to the first victim and the two of them have covered this up for all these years, why aren't there more consequences?  Irritating Police Lady should be suspended for taking bribes, tampering with an investigation and should be pulled from the case.  Conley's cover up should be made public by Allison or the police.  On top of that, the two of them are seen colluding together to continue the cover up, and her main target of the investigation is Conley's opponent and her family.  If she wanted Brady pulled for conflict of interest, then she has a clear conflict of interest as well.  She's in Conley's pocket.  

Edited by blackwing
  • Love 2

Oh, I've been assuming that Garrett has finally recommitted to family. So now he wants to hide the evidence, i.e., destroy the bones. They were in reserve before. 

Edited by sjohnson

"I had to take dirty money from the crooked politician because my parents were going to lose their house!" said no police officer, ever, except a zillion of them on TV at some point.

1 hour ago, sjohnson said:

Oh, I've been assuming that Garrett has finally recommitted to family. So now he wants to hide the evidence, i.e., destroy the bones. They were in reserve before

So you thought they were his proof if he ever did turn on the family? Interesting, but he's still a fool to risk digging them up when the likelihood of anyone knowing where they were is slight.

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I think this show had enough story for about six episodes, and tried to stretch it out for thirteen. That's why it feels like it's going in circles. "It's Garrett!" "No it's not!" "Yes it is!" "No it's not!" "Yes it is!" "No it's not!" "Yes it is!" 

Hahaha, YES! It's like you're talking to yourself. That's also why we have all these side stories. Granted, some of them help us better understand the characters. but it's often very tedious. 

10 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

"I had to take dirty money from the crooked politician because my parents were going to lose their house!" said no police officer, ever, except a zillion of them on TV at some point.

Right??? That was awful. I would think that was just a bad cover on the fly by the cop, but I think it was just bad writing by the show. 

I just can't with this show anymore.  It's gotten too stupid, even for me (who watches incredible amounts of dreck).  I'll watch to the end because I like to start what I finish (even crappy novels!), but I can't spend an extra minute wondering about any character's motivation.  It doesn't even matter to me at this point; none of it makes any sense.

• Love 1

Cutter's dad only needed $25k, too.  I guess he's not in Boston, where $25k is like 3 missed mortgage payments.  

The painting scene was kind of lame again.  

This show is filmed in Toronto.  Did they do a field trip to Boston to get those outdoor scenes with the city skyline in the background or just hang up a backdrop?  

So is Maddie hallucinating or is someone stalking her in her home with murder props?

I think Caleb looks like Garrett so I'm sticking with the bio-dad thing.  

There actually are phones like that that store a log of calls but for Caleb's name to be in there he'd probably have to be stored in its contacts memory. 

Who has a big wall safe installed and makes the combo 12-12-12 when they work for ch. 12?  

I'm beginning to suspect Cutter of killing.  Because why is she here every week?

I also am still thinking it could be Tessa.  Cutter's remark to Brady about him being in middle school when the killing started seemed shoe-horned in.  Writer's room:  "No one will suspect Tessa if we keep reminding them she was just a kid."  I kind of like the idea that Garrett and Maddie THINK it was Tessa but it was actually Cutter or Conley or some other tangential character.  I'm still not on the Tom train.  

So what in the world would anyone need a gas powered, portable corn grinder for?  

1 hour ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Did they do a field trip to Boston to get those outdoor scenes with the city skyline in the background or just hang up a backdrop?  

There are many libraries of city skyline shots from all over the world. The production team just obtains one and CGIs it onto a green screen that the actors perform in front of. 

I don't understand how the Mayor and Cop Lady's story somehow exonerates them from being one of the killers.  They could have been lying.  Everyone else is.  Also, the evidence in this case has all been compromised.  Between the conflict of interest with Brady, Cop Lady and the Mayor, Brady and Allison breaking into the reporter's safe, etc.  The FBI guy should have done more than just kick Brady off the case.

What secret would be bad enough that not only would Maddie/Mitchell/Garrett cover it up 14 years ago, Garrett would disappear for 14 years, and Garrett/Maddie would continue to lie now, but Maddie would kill Mitchell to keep the secret?  If it's not really horrible and would cause even worse consequences than all the bodies that keep piling up, then Maddie looks really dumb.

• Love 3

Me either.  She's not even 'guest cast', she's 'recurring cast', on this site.  

This is on the CBS page of interesting things in this ep:

The character Darcy Campano's first name was a tribute to Showrunner Corinne Brinkerhoff's best friend. "Campano" was chosen as the character’s last name as a nod to “campana,” the Spanish word for “bell."

That 'bell' thing is interesting.  

I rewatched a little... I think she's the Hawthorne's defense attorney.  Eh.  

Edited by Guest

Is it bad that I laughed during Sohpie's little breakdown? I not care for her at all.

I laughed during Alison and Brody's quest to discover the safe code. A little humor goes a long way.

• Love 3

I found Sophie's breakdown goofy, too.  I didn't know if it was the acting or the writing.  "No, Cam, no!  Cam, no!   Caaaammm!  No!  CAAAAM!  No!  CAAAAAAAM!  NO!" ad nauseum.

There was a lot of humor in this one.  I liked the opening sequence of news clips with Connelly in there asking people to stop calling 911 every time they hear a bell.  

I don't understand how the Mayor and Cop Lady's story somehow exonerates them from being one of the killers. 

It doesn't. Moreover, both their careers should now be over. We should never see them again. If Allison doesn't release that tape to the public I don't know what.

RE: Cam taking Jack from Sophie - I'd like to be a fly on the wall in that court hearing. I don't know how either of them has custody of the kid. Cam just got out of rehab and not for the first time. I'm guessing a judge would award custody to him based on his family's wealth and prestige, but it would mean Madeline or someone else agreeing to co-parent because Jack alone is no prize. And I imagine Sophie would get some kind of visitation with the stipulation that she go through rehab herself, after which time the judge would probably agree to review the custody agreement.

I think one of the (myriad) problems with this show is that the writers have to twist the story to fit the gimmick of re-creating some iconic artwork every episode. It doesn't really make a lot of sense for Garrett to get out of jail and then go dig up a body nobody is looking for and wouldn't likely be able to find in broad daylight. But they needed something to tie the story to the painting so someone in the writer's room went "Hey, let's have Garrett dig up a body! It'll make him look guilty, again, some more."

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I found Sophie's breakdown goofy, too.  I didn't know if it was the acting or the writing.  "No, Cam, no!  Cam, no!   Caaaammm!  No!  CAAAAM!  No!  CAAAAAAAM!  NO!" ad nauseam.

Neither the acting nor the writing worked particularly well in that scene. We get that Sophie's the unbridled, emotionally extravagant one -- but, really, no Hawthorne has had any kind of genuine emotional reaction, and suddenly Sophie gets to do enough screaming to cover that whole family for a year? Yeah, no.

... but it would mean Madeline or someone else agreeing to co-parent because Jack alone is no prize.

Reminds me of that old joke: Winning the visitation hearing means getting to visit Jack for a week every year, in supervised visits. Second prize is two weeks. Alone with him.

It doesn't really make a lot of sense for Garrett to get out of jail and then go dig up a body nobody is looking for and wouldn't likely be able to find in broad daylight. But they needed something to tie the story to the painting so someone in the writer's room went "Hey, let's have Garrett dig up a body! It'll make him look guilty, again, some more."

I agree that neither Conley nor Linda should have a career any longer; and I agree that incorporating the artwork felt like a reach this time. The writers clearly want to find ways to create a cliffhanger at the end of each episode, but this one felt cheap to me.

• Love 1

This show is fun but it is also nonsense.  It is fun nonsense.  If you understand that it is a little more enjoyable.  Right now I am saving my ultimate judgment for the last reveal.  There are plenty of fun nonsense shows that have ramped up my like factor with the killer reveal.   

I don't understand why Allison doesn't leak the footage of the Mayor and Ladycop.   At best their careers would be over and it would at least temporarily remove suspicion from her family because it was Lady Cop who kept insisting to focus on the Hawthorns.   Then again the more the show focuses on Ladycop the less it does on Brody.    Finally someone says what everyone has been thinking "Why are you even on this case?"  And why the hell are they still focusing on Garrett?  If it is Garrett this show loses almost all of my goodwill.  Unless it is him and some other member of the family not their father.  Then....maybe?

I want to punch Brody in the face almost every episode.  If I was Tessa I'd have divorced his ass by now regardless of my family's guilt.  Yes he is a cop and its his job but he is also her husband.   He didn't and doesn't have to actively participate in the case.    If anything is a marriage foul that is it.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

Maybe Brady is guilty.  He's been obsessed with the case from the start.  He might be the one person no one suspects.  (I always want to call him Brody, too, probably because I'm also watching Homeland.)

Brady's obsession is puzzling.  I know that at first he thought it might bring him a promotion, but really, at what cost?  Now he's being reprimanded and dismissed by the FBI, and yet he continues on the job.  Unless Brady solves the case, and it doesn't involve any of the Hawthorne family, his marriage will probably be over.  At the very least, I doubt he'll be invited to Sunday dinner.

Besides, I don't like the character and I think his acting method leaves a bit to be desired.

My take is that Brady is so invested in the case because he loves Tessa, and wants to show it.  Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but I imagine that he had a hard time being accepted in that family - because he's a working guy, the racial thing, etc. 

I dislike special girl Tessa, both as a character and as an actress, so perhaps I am a bit Team Brady (ha ha, I wrote Brody, too).  Or, as I might put it, Team Cutie.

• Love 1

You know what I don't like most about Tessa?  She has kindergartener art all over their kitchen.  

I don't think convicting Garrett is going to endear Brady to his in-laws, or his wife, for that matter.  I guess he's after the career accolades?  He did ask Alison to pull strings in ep. 1 to get him on the case, so we know he's not entirely by the book.  Well, I guess that's even more clear now that he's gone vigilante.

3 hours ago, mjc570 said:

My take is that Brady is so invested in the case because he loves Tessa, and wants to show it.  Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but I imagine that he had a hard time being accepted in that family - because he's a working guy, the racial thing, etc. 

He sure got more than he bargained for when he married into that family.

• Love 2
On 8/25/2016 at 7:18 AM, ghoulina said:

That was the best scene of the night. At this point, I'm really just watching for Virginia Madsen's snark. 

But I just couldn't get passed Tessa being able to get Caleb's name and number from the home phone. From the tone of the call, it seems like Maddie called him. If so, there would be no name and number on the caller ID. What you'd have to do is hit redial and quickly write down the number, before the call went all the way through. Am I insane for getting really hung up on this detail?

The only way this would work is if Caleb is saved as a contact on the phone, which makes no sense given how Maddie reacts to him.  Although, I guess it is possible that Caleb called Maddie, but again, given what we have been shown and told, that scenario makes no sense, but this is the nature of the show.  

At this point, the only person I want not to be somehow involved is Garrett, there is nothing to be gained and there is no shock value to be had by making him the guilty party.

On 8/24/2016 at 11:26 PM, Cardie said:

They advertised the show as a 13-episode murder mystery, which leads me to believe that it is intended to wrap up in one season, like Harper's Island did.

The same was said about Under the Dome, Wayward Pines and Season One of The Killing, and we all know or have heard how those promises played out.

• Love 1

Garrett being digging up a skeleton and putting it through a grain chipper!  I still don't think he's the SBK or the accomplice, but he clearly did something.  I'm still thinking it will end up being somewhere along the lines of either he's covering up for some reason or the body is actually one of the two, and Garrett killed him/her in self defense.  But this show has just focused way to much with him that I can't see him not being a red herring.  It would be a huge twist if he actually was the killer, frankly.

Connelly and Cutter seem to be a false lead, but I don't see why Alison wouldn't leak the tape and pretty much kill their careers.  Even if he wasn't the killer, tampering with a crime scene and paying off an officer should be able to derail most campaigns, I would think.  But I didn't get the sense they did that since I would think Alison would be gloating about it.

Someone in the damn force finally decides maybe Brady is the right guy for the job, due to all the conflicts of interests.  Sure, it doesn't really matter since Brady just goes off on his own, but I'm glad someone is finally getting annoyed with this. For what's worth though, I actually thought Brady was way more fun working Alison, compared to most of his scenes.

Cam is out of rehab and gives Sophie one last shot.  She almost pulls it off by helping Jack with his presentation, only to derail the entire thing by using Jack as a drug mule.  Brilliant move, Sophie.  So, Cam is going to make sure she gets no contact with him.  Have a feeling this is far from over.  I'm pretty sure the nurse that Cam is totally "platonic" with, will fit into this as well.  They made sure to show Sophie looking at them.  Have to think she's going to try something.

Madeline's lies have finally fell apart, and her kids have had enough!

13 hours ago, Happytobehere said:

The same was said about Under the Dome, Wayward Pines and Season One of The Killing, and we all know or have heard how those promises played out.

I believe Wayward Pines and The Killing weren't marketed as '(finite) episode events', were they?  I do recall Under the Dome was originally labeled a mini-series but they removed that after just the first episode or two, once they saw the ratings.  The Killing solved each mystery each season.  Wayward Pines, I only saw season 1 but it wrapped it all up.  Under the Dome is the big culprit for not doing so.  

If this show doesn't I'd be stunned.  You can't label it a '13 episode murder mystery event' and NOT solve the mystery at the end.  They can do what The Family did and introduce the threads for a new mystery.  Or go for the anthology format.  

5 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I believe Wayward Pines and The Killing weren't marketed as '(finite) episode events', were they?  I do recall Under the Dome was originally labeled a mini-series but they removed that after just the first episode or two, once they saw the ratings.  The Killing solved each mystery each season.  Wayward Pines, I only saw season 1 but it wrapped it all up.  Under the Dome is the big culprit for not doing so.  

If this show doesn't I'd be stunned.  You can't label it a '13 episode murder mystery event' and NOT solve the mystery at the end.  They can do what The Family did and introduce the threads for a new mystery.  Or go for the anthology format.  

Actually, they ran through the entire series of books during Season One of Wayward Pines, that's why Matt Dillon's character died. The Stars stated they thought it would be a one-off as well, which is why people were surprised by the renewal, and a lot of the actors were not available for season two.

The Killing was supposed to be a series, but the murder was supposed to be solved by the end of the first season until the show runners thought they could string it along and keep people coming back (that's why I included it because someone posted that they were concerned that American Gothic might choose to keep the killer's identity a secret as a mean of making this more than a one-off series).  It backfired and the show runners later admitted that the bad will they engendered by not fulfilling their promise of a solved mystery proved too much for the show to overcome.  The show never really recovered in terms of ratings because of this and when they wrapped up the murder mystery at the end of the second season, the damage had been done.  The show had a great third season with a amazing villain, but the writing was on the wall and it wound up being cancelled.  Had the producers kept the promised of each season being centered on a contained and solved mystery , it probably would have lasted longer.  The temptation to drag things out to keep the pay checks coming is often too much and understandably so.

7 hours ago, Happytobehere said:

Actually, they ran through the entire series of books during Season One of Wayward Pines, that's why Matt Dillon's character died. The Stars stated they thought it would be a one-off as well, which is why people were surprised by the renewal, and a lot of the actors were not available for season two.

The Killing was supposed to be a series, but the murder was supposed to be solved by the end of the first season until the show runners thought they could string it along and keep people coming back (that's why I included it because someone posted that they were concerned that American Gothic might choose to keep the killer's identity a secret as a mean of making this more than a one-off series).  It backfired and the show runners later admitted that the bad will they engendered by not fulfilling their promise of a solved mystery proved too much for the show to overcome.  The show never really recovered in terms of ratings because of this and when they wrapped up the murder mystery at the end of the second season, the damage had been done.  The show had a great third season with a amazing villain, but the writing was on the wall and it wound up being cancelled.  Had the producers kept the promised of each season being centered on a contained and solved mystery , it probably would have lasted longer.  The temptation to drag things out to keep the pay checks coming is often too much and understandably so.

Oh, I forgot Rosie's murder took two seasons on The Killing.  Yeah, that was a bummer.  Good show, though.  I didn't feel punked by it like I did by Under The Dome.  I never went back for other seasons of that one.  

I read the Wayward Pines books last summer because I liked the show, at first.  By the end, I think I was less interested.  Did the Ethan character die?  I thought he climbed back in a pod to be reawakened in 1000 years or something lame like that, but maybe that was in the book series.  (I just read a recap of the finale.  It did end entirely differently from the books and apparently I didn't even finish watching... so yeah, definitely less interested.)

I think the Netflix show Stranger Things is by one of the Wayward Pines creators, if you liked that.  

This show doesn't seem to have enough story for ONE season, much less two.  

Edited by Guest