Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

That was a good game.  I like Jessica.  I thought the game was moving pretty well and was surprised they left almost an entire category on the board in the first round.  FJ was pretty easy for me when Corinth was in the clue (Paul's letters to the Corinthians).  I also got Robert E. Lee and a few others I don't remember. 

• Love 3

The game did seem like it was moving along at a nice pace so I was shocked at how many clues were left up on the board. 

I suck at biblical clues as well so I would have wagered nothing! 

My seven year old has graduated to a later bedtime so he has to watch Jeopardy with me now. He complains because he can't get any of the answers right so I explained how when I was his age I used to watch Jeopardy with my dad and never get any answers right but the more I watched the more I learned and started to get answers right. One day he'll be sitting on the couch with his kids telling the same story I told him. He was so surprised to get the Cat in the Hat and one other answer right (drawing a blank right now)!

• Love 9

Bonnie looks so much like Penelope Wilton, who played Isobel on Downton Abbey.

I was so impressed when Jessica ran that one category .... I can't even remember what its name was.

TSs I got were What's the sound of one hand clapping?, Naked and Afraid, and Alec Baldwin.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Conotocarious said:

I feel like the contestant interviews go on way too long. Too many clues left on the board and the players weren't dawdling so I'm looking at you, Alex.

That Mardi Gras story seemed to go on forever. Also Bonnie was slow and hesitant to pick out categories when it was her turn which didn't help. Those seconds add up!

Glad Jessica is still our champ and got a little nervous when Bonnie got that second DJ. Was surprised that they were having trouble with the last category with "1600" and "Alec Baldwin" as both of those were pretty instagets for me. 

• Love 1

I didn'tget MacGyver the other day,  but this FJ was an instaget for me. I guess thats one thing 18 years of Sunday School was good for; I do well with Bible questions even though I'm now a raging heathen.

• Love 6

I'm getting very frustrated that the contestants never seem to clear the board any more.  Tonight there were clues still remaining for both the Jeopardy and Double Jeopardy rounds.  The contestant interviews need to be condensed.  Grrr...
We have a good champ.  I hope she sticks around for a while.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I'm getting very frustrated that the contestants never seem to clear the board any more.  Tonight there were clues still remaining for both the Jeopardy and Double Jeopardy rounds.  The contestant interviews need to be condensed.  Grrr...

It's been an epidemic lately!  And last night I think it was DJ, and Alex said less than a minute, and (pardon me but I don't remember the exact answer so this will be vague I'm sorry) there was a TS, and Alex gave the question but completely dragged out his reading, including giving info that didn't matter.

Just read the question when there is a minute left!  You can leave the ad-libbing out so they can get to more clues.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 8

And the contestants with the umms and pauses and pleases. Just say the category and amount. You're there to win money! lol

Bonnie was a good player. I also liked her meeting her husband story but it was too long.

jessica is really pretty--nice smile and hair.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, mojoween said:

It's been an epidemic lately!  And last night I think it was DJ, and Alex said less than a minute, and (pardon me but I don't remember the exact answer so this will be vague I'm sorry) there was a TS, and Alex gave the question but completely dragged out his reading, including giving info that didn't matter.

Just read the question when there is a minute left!  You can leave the ad-libbing out so they can get to more clues.

I believe it was him saying very slowly and then demonstrating the one handed clap

• Love 1

I have no objection to Grant.  He's not Jessica but I'm not mad at him.

There was something about Lolita that did not sit well with me though so I'm not sorry about her weird FJ wager.

Also, I did not get FJ.  World geography is not my bag.  And I don't know much about Shakespeare either beyond the very basics but with a clue like that even I knew Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.

It's really a wonder why I even think I could ever be on Jeopardy! in the first place.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, Driad said:

Djakarta must have lost its D after my last geography textbook was published.

As per Wikipedia, it was spelled Djakarta from 1942-1972. I'd never even seen it spelled that way before.

• Love 4

I didn't know final Jeopardy.  I figured the Island they were referring to was Australia or in Indonesia. I couldn't think of a large city starting with A in Australia, then didn't know the largest island in Indonesia. 

Was a good contest, that last final jeopardy helped him win. 

• Love 3

Darn, I'll miss Jessica.  Grant seems okay, though.  Lolita - ugh!  An arrogant sourpuss.

I got G.I. Joe, John Reed, Nebraska, and Oklahoma.

I missed FJ.  I guessed Adelaide, Australia.  I'm confused.  How is Java larger than Australia?  Is Australia not considered an island?

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Darn, I'll miss Jessica.  Grant seems okay, though.  Lolita - ugh!  An arrogant sourpuss.

I missed FJ.  I guessed Adelaide, Australia.  I'm confused.  How is Java larger than Australia?  Is Australia not considered an island?

Java is vastly more populated than Australia (23mil vs 140mil).

• Love 4
1 minute ago, secnarf said:

Java is vastly more populated than Australia (23mil vs 140mil).

Yeah, I was thinking largest island, not most populous.  I knew Adelaide wasn't correct because it's not an enormous city but my addled brain was thinking "largest island".

• Love 1

I thought Toyko because it is on an island. However Honshu  does not start with T. The whole country is not an island either.  Toyko is the most populated city in the world on an island starting with a different letter. Therefore I blew it. 

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

The topic was "capitol cities" and Adelaide is not the capitol of Australia.   

• Love 5

I won't even tell you what I guessed for FJ.

I'm sorry Jessica didn't win, but Grant seems ok. Go big or go home.

I guess the only TSs I got were GI Joe and Oklahoma. In the Macbeth clue, Duncan came to mind, but I wouldn't have said it. I couldn't remember John Reed's name.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

ITA on all 3 counts. 

Jessica had done very well in geography related categories, so I knew she would wager big in FJ. Too bad it did not work out for her, but Grant seems pleasant and knowledgable. I would have never gotten FJ right in a million years. 

• Love 3

I guessed Taipei. Would have never gotten Jakarta.

Bummed we lost Jessica but that was a great game all around. Total nail biter. Anyways Grant didn't bug me at all so I'm fine with him going on. Kinda strikes me as a one and done though. We'll see.

• Love 1

This final jeopardy was a lot like the one they asked recently about Slovakia and Slovenia. 

I've been brushing up on my world geography just for Jeopardy.  They ask a whole lot about it.  Need to study Southeast Asia more. 

Has anyone every published a book or anything online about study hints for Jeopardy?  They certainly have lots of topics they hit quite a bit and lost of areas, people, topics they go to a lot.  I would think a reasonable study guide could be accomplished for the show. 

Also I did not know Matthew Weiner was a former Jeopardy champion

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

This final jeopardy was a lot like the one they asked recently about Slovakia and Slovenia. 

I've been brushing up on my world geography just for Jeopardy.  They ask a whole lot about it.  Need to study Southeast Asia more. 

Has anyone every published a book or anything online about study hints for Jeopardy?  They certainly have lots of topics they hit quite a bit and lost of areas, people, topics they go to a lot.  I would think a reasonable study guide could be accomplished for the show. 

Also I did not know Matthew Weiner was a former Jeopardy champion

Have you used Lizard Point geography quizzes? That has really helped me a lot. It's fun and you work your way up the quizzes. Africa has been tough but you can break it down into smaller parts.

TV is in every single game. Movies and TV must be required to be in all games.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

So Grant incorrectly guesses Oklahoma for a previous clue and then when the clue which had Cherokee and land rush in it he remains silent AND it was a TS? Yikes!

I get that. As a fellow Canadian (specifically Ottawa so I was rooting hard for Grant) state holidays isn't an area where I'm very confident. I know a lot of American history and geography but I wouldn't risk a guess if I wasn't sure.

I would have been happy with either Grant or Jessica getting a win. Lolita seemed fine, but (and this is in no way her fault) the way Alex over-pronounced her name was driving me bonkers and I knew I couldn't handle another night of it.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I really need to try to remember to record Jeopardy! when I know I won't be able to watch live. I seem to miss all the good games!

I have it on my DVR schedule, which is handy not only if I happen to be out, but if the show is preempted and then played at 2:00 am or whatever. Set it and forget it!

1 hour ago, vibeology said:

Lolita seemed fine, but (and this is in no way her fault) the way Alex over-pronounced her name was driving me bonkers and I knew I couldn't handle another night of it.

UGH! That was so annoying and, I'm guessing, insulting to Lolita. I would have been barely tolerating it if I were her, showing my intelligence and then being trivialized with "Lo-LEE-tah."

• Love 2
15 hours ago, mojoween said:

I have no objection to Grant.  He's not Jessica but I'm not mad at him.

There was something about Lolita that did not sit well with me though so I'm not sorry about her weird FJ wager.

Also, I did not get FJ.  World geography is not my bag.  And I don't know much about Shakespeare either beyond the very basics but with a clue like that even I knew Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.

It's really a wonder why I even think I could ever be on Jeopardy! in the first place.

I missed yesterday's game due to a snow-related power outage, but looking at J! Archive, I see I would've run the board in the Jeopardy round, and gotten most, though not all, of the right answers in Double Jeopardy.  Plus FJ was an easy one for me, probably because I've read/seen things set in Jakarta.  Of course, that would've been from the comfort of my couch, where no one ever buzzes in faster.  ;-)

Man, of all the games to miss!

• Love 3

I finally realized what Alex's pronunciation of Lolita was reminding me of.  It was a first season ep of "The Big Bang Theory" and Raj was set up on a date by his parents and her name was Lolita Gupta.  The way Raj kept saying Lolita is what I heard every time Alex called on her. Of course, there is no way for me to replicate this in the printed medium for you to understand what I am referring to and for that I apologize.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, operalover said:

Have you used Lizard Point geography quizzes? That has really helped me a lot. It's fun and you work your way up the quizzes. Africa has been tough but you can break it down into smaller parts.

TV is in every single game. Movies and TV must be required to be in all games.

Thanks, I will look into Lizzard point.  I mainly have just been pulling up google maps and studying it.  Not very efficient. 

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Thanks, I will look into Lizzard point.  I mainly have just been pulling up google maps and studying it.  Not very efficient. 

I love it, I have been doing so much better at Jeopardy since I've been doing the Lizard Point geography quizzes. I was mad at myself for missing Sudan the other night though. I've been brushing up on Africa again as I seem to have forgotten everything I know. I know all the countries and their capitol cities in Central and South America because of it.  The other night I knew French Guyana was the answer because of this. Also Slovenia and Slovakia was easy for me, I doubt before Lizard Point I would have even known there was a country called Slovenia. I am working on bodies of water now. The Baltic Sea, the Black Sea and their ports seems to come up a lot as well as the Middle East and their waterways and ports.

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, operalover said:

I love it, I have been doing so much better at Jeopardy since I've been doing the Lizard Point geography quizzes. I was mad at myself for missing Sudan the other night though. I've been brushing up on Africa again as I seem to have forgotten everything I know. I know all the countries and their capitol cities in Central and South America because of it.  The other night I knew French Guyana was the answer because of this. Also Slovenia and Slovakia was easy for me, I doubt before Lizard Point I would have even known there was a country called Slovenia. I am working on bodies of water now. The Baltic Sea, the Black Sea and their ports seems to come up a lot as well as the Middle East and their waterways and ports.

That's funny because I got Sudan the other night because I had just looked over the African map, although it has been split into Sudan and South Sudan, I think they were asking about a time in the past it was just Sudan.  ANd I knew French Guyana as well because I had just loved over South/Central America, which is probably the easiest continent to learn, outside Antartica. 

Africa, especially the middle and eastern part, southeastern Europe and the middle part of asia with all the "stans" are the hardest ones from a country standpoint. 

And not just for Jeopardy, I do think we should all know world geography better than we do.  The US states I pretty well have down.  I taught my kids the states in elementary school, I didn't want them ending up on TV pointing to Massachusettes and thinking is the UK or something. 

• Love 1

I have used this site to learn the countries, capitals, US states (have not yet got around to the state capitals) and US presidents. I'd also like to use i to learn the flags. They've got a bunch of different quizzes. Some of them are list-type (e.g. list all the capitals) and others give you a different mix every time you take it (e.g. here are 20 random countries, type in their capitals).

• Love 1

The level of my African geography knowledge is that I can say, when someone answers, "yes, that is a country in Africa." Sometimes I just yell out random countries I know are African. Occasionally, I'm right - and then I'm gobsmacked. Guess I need to check out this Lizzard point thing.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I have used this site to learn the countries, capitals, US states (have not yet got around to the state capitals) and US presidents. I'd also like to use i to learn the flags. They've got a bunch of different quizzes. Some of them are list-type (e.g. list all the capitals) and others give you a different mix every time you take it (e.g. here are 20 random countries, type in their capitals).

I have just tried that sight. The format is a little strange on the first quiz on your link.  You  fill in country names without having to know where they are . After you type in the name, it shows you where the country is.   The European quiz was a good way to test your knowledge after you have learned the countries but not an easy way to learn them. I prefer the format of  http://lizardpoint.com/geography/index.php They ask where a country is and you have to click on it and the maps are much larger (my eyes are terrible). I did take the Europe Map Quiz and got a 90% because I messed up Estonia, Lithuania, and Latvia!

• Love 1

I got Jakarta immediately because I know Java is the most populous island.  I'm sure I learned it from jeopardy. Thanks for the geography links. World geography, art, and classical music are all things I'd need to brush up on before going on the show.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, secnarf said:

I LOVE this quiz!!

http://www.jetpunk.com/user-quizzes/61018/history-by-letter-h

This is great for studying history for jeopardy. Thanks! 

• Love 1

Ok so Brandon should be my compadre since he lives two hours down 81 from me (and Binghamton was on the national news today with their three foot snowfall) but when a clue says PC and you say Apple I can't root for you.

If Fender was wrong why would you not ring in with Gibson?

Second day in a row the DD was the second to last clue and we didn't get to the last one. Weird.

FJ was once again words all in English that meant nothing to me.  

• Love 5

Guessing Apple for the IBM clue was definitely one of the top 10 most boneheaded guesses ever. 

I also was dumbfounded that they didn't get Gibson, and if you aren't sure of an art style, Dada is always a good guess.

I was stumped for FJ, but feel like I should have known it, since I watched so much of the Olympics last summer.

• Love 4

I am impressed Grant got Hershey since in Canada, like every other country that's not the US, Kit Kat is a Nestle product. I clearly remembered the Nestle logo on the corner of the wrapper and was shocked when Hershey was correct, so I had to look it up.

I didn't think Apple was a terrible guess for IBM only because IBM bailed Apple out in the 1990s and essentially saved the company by investing millions of dollars into it. Apple still wasn't a good guess by any means, but it wasn't as terrible as it seems on the face of it.

• Love 2

Did Alex tell us what the 1964 song was?

Guy on the end needed a better quality shirt or a T-Shirt under it or a tie. Not a good look to wear a see-through dress shirt.

I guessed Meander and Wander for that one that the answer that was Ramble and Amble. The clue was "first word means walking but can mean talking on and on with no point" and the other word is walking along. I guess meander doesn't have anything to do with talking. I want my $400 Alex!!

• Love 1

I don't think I would have figured out FJ if not for Gisele's long walk at the Olympic opening ceremony in Rio. If not for that performance, I doubt I would have remembered the writer of Girl From Ipanema. 

I'm glad to see Grant win again. Go Ottawa! Glad he got the Canadian question, the Jays question and one of the two hockey questions. 

• Love 2