Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: The Chess Players

When the Hawthornes are publicly implicated in the SBK case and forced to hole up in the house to avoid media scrutiny, they quickly begin to turn on one another. Also, Garrett lures Christina to the woods for a camping trip that takes a dangerous turn.

Dialogue in this episode established that David Morales was the final victim of SBK, so my theory that Mitch killed Morales because Morales was SBK is still standing, albeit on wobbly legs.

Loved all the birds of prey décor highlighted after Jack reported that budding psychopaths like such decorative patterns. He, like Norman Bates, should know.

• Love 4

Poor Tessa, forever "the dumb one". I can't see her marriage lasting through the end of this show. Though her "oh!" when Cam pointed out the bell in her room to her did make me giggle.

I still have an inexplicable soft spot for Cam. And him suddenly noticing all the birds of prey in the house was also kind of funny.

Madeline is so full of shit, and I'm glad the kids are starting to question her explanations. I'm no big Sophie fan, but I did enjoy her standing up to Madeline and leaving her speechless.

The Garrett cliffhanger might have been more compelling if NEXT WEEK'S PREVIEWS DIDN'T SHOW HIM ALIVE.

• Love 6

The Walker family dinners in Brothers & Sisters were funnier. But this one was pretty good. Mom sending them all to bed at 9 was a good punch line.

Don't know about the other actors but I'm convinced Justin Chatwin thinks he's in a comedy. 

The current campaign suggests the saw about no such thing as bad publicity may be true, and Alison is the next mayor. 

I could have sworn Dylan Bruce was going to suggest a three way, though.

• Love 1

The blood was Mitchell's, so there goes my theory about Madeline's mom being SBK.   I'm still going with Dylan Bruce as the killer.

The grating lady detective was absent (I think).  So was the irritating cat lady.  Can't say I missed either of them.

Virginia Madsen continues to be this show's mvp.  I love Madeline's imperious, wealthy matriarch manner.

• Love 1
(edited)

Jack is back from science camp! No wonder everyone in that damn house is awake. I couldn't sleep with him roaming the halls either. 

Madison is totally my spirit animal, throwing her disgusting "loaf" on the floor because no one will eat it, and then sweetly asking if anyone wants desert. 

I also loved when she told everyone to go to bed. "But it's 9 o'clock" protests Tessa. Bitch, that's the perfect time to go to bed! 

Alison made me want to turn this mess off and watch, or play, some Family Feud. That's my favorite! 

Madison clearly knows the scoop here. And she does have answers for everything. Oh, Cam, your memory of Dad dragging a body around is because I was having an affair. Who saves a police report like that? They don't just give it to you. You have to go down and ask for it. Kind of weird. 

So the blood is Mitchell's, but I still think there's more to it than that. Too bad Garret had to get stabbed over it. 

Also, Brady is a dick - playing tricks on his wife so he can run off and leave her. He should have never been allowed on that investigation. 

Edited by ghoulina
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, izabella said:

I was happy to see the police are finally learning about getting warrants for DNA.

Finally.  The show has kindly eliminated the number of suspects.

• Love 2

Brady REALLY should not be on this case at all. It is clearly a massive conflict of interest, and his chasing of this killer, who is probably a member of his family (through marriage) is basically going to destroy his marriage. Is he really the only cop in Boston that can take on this big, high profile case? 

At least we are making some progress. The police apparently learned what DNA actually is, making us see that the killer is, in fact, in the family. And is the dad. But of course that cant just be it. 

Can annoying cop lady stay away forever? She is absolutely grating. 

At least the family is questioning Madison. Her answers just seem rehearsed to me, like she has come up with specific answers to everything. I think her and her husband were killers together. But why did they stop then?

• Love 1

Alison's gleeful willingness to throw Garrett to the wolves makes me wish the she is either a part of the murders, like a second killer, or the next victim, because that level of self-serving cold-bloodedness needs to be taken out.  

Brady really is a PoS and if Tessa doesn't dump him, she will reveal herself to be the stupidest person on the planet.  

Someone who would come to the aid of that girl in the woods and allow Christine to stab him doesn't read as killer material to me.  However, we know based on the staggering number of episodes left that Mitch is either not the killer, or there is more to the story if he was a party to the murders.  His telling Madison they need to tell the truth, which prompted his murder, supports this as well.

• Love 1

I think they all had something to do with the murders, even 10 year old(at the time) Tessa. Brady sucks, who leaves their wife stranded on the street?

I am sure Garrett will end up being the only one that has nothing to do with anything, but knew about it,  which prompted his leaving to live in the woods for 14 years.

• Love 1

Garrett is my favourite character too, followed closely by Madeline.  It's too obvious for him to be the killer.  I can't stand Allison and her haughty manner.  Cam and his stupid hair disgust me.  Tessa is annoying and stupid.

I still think that Mitchell could be alive.  Since every episode title reproduces a scene from a famous American painting... when will we see Grant Wood's American Gothic?  I think it will be the final scene of the season.  Mitchell will return from the dead in the last episode, and in the very last scene, he will stand next to Madeline with a pitchfork and recreate the famous painting.

• Love 6

Maddie seems to hold the answers.  But she has lied about so much that we don't know what to believe.  She killed her hubby in the hospital.  We know she lied about Mitchell losing his mind/memory since he was still playing chess with the groundskeeper.  I don't know whether to believe her stories or not.  She said Mitchell was obsessed with the Silver Bells murders and was trying to solve them.  She said she was having an affair and Mitchell found the man in the house and that was whose body was dragged down the stairs. 

OK.  Maybe Maddie was having an affair with Morales and Mitchell suspected him of being the Silver Bells killer.  He found Maddie and Mitchell together and killed him and that is why the Silver Bells killings have stopped.  He made Garrett help move the body which traumatized Garrett.  Mitchell made it look like Morales was killed by the Silver Bells Killer.  Garret was never sure that Morales was the Silver Bells Killer so he has always felt guilty of helping his dad.  That would explain his obsession with Morales' daughter the doctor. 

I even wonder if now that Morales' daughter has stabbed Garrett if she will get the taste for killing like her dad.  Could the killings start again?  OK maybe I am pushing it there.  But who knows?

This all goes back to if Maddie is telling the truth in any of this.  I was waiting for the kids to ask her who she was having an affair with. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

I still think that Mitchell could be alive.

His body was cremated, so I would say he'd definitely dead.

However, that makes me wonder how the police got his DNA, since Maddie had all his stuff thrown out and his body was cremated.

44 minutes ago, izabella said:

His body was cremated, so I would say he'd definitely dead.

However, that makes me wonder how the police got his DNA, since Maddie had all his stuff thrown out and his body was cremated.

His body was supposedly cremated.  If Madeline and Mitchell are the killer duo, they could easily have gotten a few hospital and funeral home people in on their scheme.  I don't think we ever saw an urn or anything.  We saw Madeline calling someone to say to do a cremation, and we saw Brady going to the crematorium and just missing him.  I guess it's a stretch to think that there's a conspiracy, but anything is possible.  Also, it could have been someone else's body that was cremated.

2 hours ago, blackwing said:

I still think that Mitchell could be alive.  Since every episode title reproduces a scene from a famous American painting... when will we see Grant Wood's American Gothic?  I think it will be the final scene of the season.  Mitchell will return from the dead in the last episode, and in the very last scene, he will stand next to Madeline with a pitchfork and recreate the famous painting.

I like the theory that the parents were killing together but I don't think Mitch is alive.  He could be shown in the Grant Wood's painting pose in flashback form, like we saw him in the pose for The Artist In His Museum.  Or it could be a photo on the wall they zoom into or something.  

If he is alive, I will shun this genre from now on.  It was insulting enough that

Spoiler

Adam

from The Family was alive, especially after the showrunner saying in interviews he wasn't.  

19 hours ago, Cardie said:

Dialogue in this episode established that David Morales was the final victim of SBK, so my theory that Mitch killed Morales because Morales was SBK is still standing, albeit on wobbly legs.

Loved all the birds of prey décor highlighted after Jack reported that budding psychopaths like such decorative patterns. He, like Norman Bates, should know.

Brady mentioned Morales was the last victim in the 2nd episode, too.  I re-watched some parts last night while the DNC pushed everything back.  

The police report in the book was dated 12/1/2002.  Morales was killed in 2002.  Probably unrelated but who knows.  

Any theories on who was the beauty in the photos in the book?  

Don't get me started on The Family.  SMG could be SBK and I'd find it less ludicrous than that ending.  

Oh man, did you get a good look at Maddie's meatloaf?  Ha, my grandmother used to do stuff like that-- hide other foods in meatloaf!  Whole green olives, whole hard boiled eggs, spinach, raisins... so gross.  

4 hours ago, LakeGal said:

OK.  Maybe Maddie was having an affair with Morales and Mitchell suspected him of being the Silver Bells killer.  He found Maddie and Mitchell together and killed him and that is why the Silver Bells killings have stopped.  He made Garrett help move the body which traumatized Garrett.  Mitchell made it look like Morales was killed by the Silver Bells Killer.  Garret was never sure that Morales was the Silver Bells Killer so he has always felt guilty of helping his dad.  That would explain his obsession with Morales' daughter the doctor. 

I could go for this. However, given my past experience with TV shows, I bet the writers didn't come up with something as coherent as this.

I like the theory that mom and dad killed together.  I think it would be interesting if dad developed a concience Or regretted Garrett leaving and blamed himself for Cam's addictions.  I think it is interesting that both sins are so screwed up while both daughters are seemingly alright I think maybe they aren't all that alright.  Plus I am still hoping Tessa is the killer.  I think my favorite part was Madeline saying Tessa was like 9 and the DNA tech person said psychopathy could happen a few years earlier.  I know minority but Tessa is my favorite.  Brody is still an ass.

I too see signals it could be Tessa.  But I also noticed that when they revealed it was a Hawthorne but not Cam, they flashed on screen Mitch, Maddie, Garrett and Alison only, though that could be misdirection.

Funny you say both sons are screwed up but not the daughters because I was watching this one thinking, "They really cast some creepy looking male leads, they all look like serial killers, but all the women are just plain gorgeous."   Which also made me suspect misdirection and our killer would be one of our golden gals.  And Tessa would be the most surprising.  

I have doubts the actress could pull off a serial killer scene, though.  I kind of cringed at the scene with her and Cam rolling in laughter, though he was slightly worse.  He looked like he was having a coronary, his face was all red with veins bulged out.  

I too see signals it could be Tessa.  But I also noticed that when they revealed it was a Hawthorne but not Cam, they flashed on screen Mitch, Maddie, Garrett and Alison only, though that could be misdirection.

It was revealed that the blood on the belt wasn't Cam's it was Mitchell's.  That does not rule out that Cam wasn't Mitchell's partner/assistant.  He's still in the running.

Funniest scene was when Cam told Alison everyone knew about her affair with Naomi.  Then Tess gasps.  Everyone except Tessa, Cam says!

Now that we're halfway through the season, I hope the body count increases.

• Love 2

So, the blood on the belt ends up being Mitchells, so he's now the one who everyone thing is the true SBK.  Which means, I doubt he will be.  There is something else going on here.  I don't necessarily Madeline is SBK, but I do think she is going to end up being the person who has all the answers, but it hiding it for whatever reason.  And I still think Garrett is way too obvious, so it won't be him.  I'm getting more suspicious of Alison, since she did seem quick to throw anyone under the bus, although I guess part of that could be her wanted all of this to quit screwing up her campaign.  Tessa would be the biggest swerve of all time, but that would be a stretch, since she really doesn't seem bright enough to pull the killings off.  Similarly, Cam is too much of a loose cannon and a screw-up for me to buy him being able to pull off anything too elaborate.  Then again, this could all end up being nothing and it isn't a Hawnthorne after-all.

Jack is back and creepy as always.  When is he actually going to go ahead and actually kill someone?  It is bound to happen!

Sophie is now claiming she wants to move away with Cam and Jack, but I can't help but to think something else is up with her.

Why in the hell is Brady allowed to still work this case?

Tom/Dylan Bruce and Naomi have their first confrontation.  Have a feeling this will escalate and end with one of their deaths.

As I said earlier, I still don't think Garrett is the killer, but he really did go from zero to "casually pull out switchblade" with those frat boys, way too quickly.  Have no idea why he thought that would impress Christina.  At least wait for them to make a threat against you before pulling out the sharp stuff, Garrett! 

• Love 1

So somehow Christina (?) manages to stab Garrett? 

At least Jack isn't as creepy as he has been in past episodes.  I find this child really disturbing and I don't want to see it.  He just comes up with all the animals of prey in this episode.  I can deal with that.  No puppets without teeth or cutting off cat's tails.....

I do think that dad was the killer but Garrett knows more.  And mom knows the whole story but I don't think she was a partner in crime.

I also don't know how this could go beyond one season.

(I still liked The Family better.  The characters were more interesting and the acting was better.  Just sayin).

• Love 2
10 hours ago, breezy424 said:

(I still liked The Family better.  The characters were more interesting and the acting was better.  Just sayin).

The Family was a far superior show, IMHO.  More fully developed characters, stronger motivations, better acting, etc.  American Gothic strikes me as camp.  Generic characters (stern mother, snooty lesbian older sister, clueless younger sister, druggie brother, mysterious sexy brother, and the random psychopathic kid.)  I'm not sure we're supposed to take this show seriously - I sure don't.  But alas, it has me in its grip, and I'm resigned for the next however-many weeks.  I do DVR it so I can Fast Forward through the commercials.  Somehow, it makes this camp more tolerable.  YMMV.

• Love 1

The Family finished me off in one episode. I thought it was silly in the bad way. I watch American Gothic silly as if it were camp but I couldn't do that for The Family. (There was an Ellen Barkin movie, The Chameleon, that really impressed me, on the topic of long lost children reappearing. By comparison, The Family was just pathetic from the beginning.)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Lostinthehouse said:

The Family was a far superior show, IMHO.  More fully developed characters, stronger motivations, better acting, etc.  American Gothic strikes me as camp.  Generic characters (stern mother, snooty lesbian older sister, clueless younger sister, druggie brother, mysterious sexy brother, and the random psychopathic kid.)  I'm not sure we're supposed to take this show seriously - I sure don't.  But alas, it has me in its grip, and I'm resigned for the next however-many weeks.  I do DVR it so I can Fast Forward through the commercials.  Somehow, it makes this camp more tolerable.  YMMV.

I wasn't sure if you got the casts mixed up for a second.  Stern mother:  Joan Allen, snooty lesbian sis:  Alison Pill, druggie brother:  Zach Guilford, random psycho kid: Liam James.  Heh, a lot of similarities.

The Family sucked us both in from day 1 (American Gothic just me), but offended my intelligence by 2/3 through, and then went so far into silly I was glad it was cancelled.  I'm still ok with this one.  They even redeemed themselves somewhat by having warrants for DNA this ep, in my eyes.  

It sounds to me from reading around the 'net that if ratings are good enough they will make more seasons of it, like Under the Dome and Wayward Pines.  

I didn't know they made a second season of Wayward Pines.  Is it any good?  I was sucked into that last summer and read all the books but found the last few episodes pretty disappointing.  

Don't like taking jobs away from actors, but if there's any idea of bringing this show back another year, then I hope the ratings don't quite make it.  I like this show, but I think it's moving too slowly as it is.  I don't want to have to wait until 2017 to find out who the SBK is, or even later if you use Under the Dome as an example. 

Besides, look at the hideous mess they made of Under the Dome and Extant. 

• Love 1

Oh that'd be awful, if they tried to draw out the SBK thing.  If it did go multiple seasons, I would prefer it be an anthology like American Horror Story, but if they reuse actors stick to the ones that can act.  

I ditched Under the Dome and Extant after one season.  The writing was on the wall.  

This series started off slowly for me, but it's really picked up steam now - I so enjoyed this episode with everyone (except Garrett) stuck in the house. The dinner scene was hilarious.

Garrett is an idiot. I have no idea why he decided to get close to Christina and try to get the knife from her. If she'd been holding a gun, then I could understand that he might be worried that she would shoot him. But she just had a knife. All he had to do was back off to a good distance - like she wanted - and then he would've been quite safe from any stabbing and she would've calmed down somewhat. Physically grabbing the armed woman who thinks you're a killer is not the way to make her think you're not a killer!

I'm interested in whatever the backstory is on Garrett and Alison. Cam noted to Tessa that he has different memories of Garrett than she does (and the one he mentioned, Garrett punching him in the face for something minor, was pretty ugly), and Alison appears to as well. So at this point I'm not faulting Alison for being less than enthusiastic about Garrett, because there's a good chance that that's earned by past experience rather than her just being uptight and snotty. After all, she loves Cam and protects him, even at the cost of her campaign, despite his being a screw-up. So I'm waiting for the backstory before I judge.

Although the police report Alison found in the book was the only thing discussed by the characters, I think the photos she found with the police report (and didn't share with her siblings), of the woman in sexy lingerie, might be more important. My prediction is that Mitchell had an affair that produced a child who became the SBK.

I had no idea who the woman in the photos were but one recap I read (EW, maybe?) said they were young Madeleine.  Which makes no sense to me.  It looked more like Naomi than Madeleine, not that I think it was Naomi.  But who hides photos of their wife in a hollowed out book?  

1 minute ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I had no idea who the woman in the photos were but one recap I read (EW, maybe?) said they were young Madeleine.  Which makes no sense to me.  It looked more like Naomi than Madeleine, not that I think it was Naomi.  But who hides photos of their wife in a hollowed out book?  

Someone who wanted to keep the evidence but didn't want to talk about who took the pix, possibly. Especially given that Mom has already claimed to have had an affair.

1 hour ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

But how is it evidence if she's the only one in the pics? 

Mitchell would have known if he didn't take the pictures. Their existence could be proof she was posing for someone else. 

Or maybe not. 

But it does hint that different parentage or previously unknown offspring may yet be in the mix, I think.