Type keyword(s) to search

Artistic Gymnastics: Stick the Landing!

To be fair, in 2008 the men weren't expected to medal.  They performed MUCH better than anyone expected (we even had to use one or two of our alternates) and, when combined with the ups and downs the non-Chinese teams all had (we were even ahead of Japan for a few rounds), it resulted in a bronze.  In that kind of scenario, the bronze is one hell of an accomplishment and their attitude made sense.

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

To be fair, in 2008 the men weren't expected to medal.  They performed MUCH better than anyone expected (we even had to use one or two of our alternates) and, when combined with the ups and downs the non-Chinese teams all had (we were even ahead of Japan for a few rounds), it resulted in a bronze.  In that kind of scenario, the bronze is one hell of an accomplishment and their attitude made sense.

Yep. We were supposed to have the Hamm twins on our team but they both pulled out with injury. It was amazing that they had that kind of result without their two top athletes. I still remember Justin Spring and Jon Horton killing it on high bar. 

Edit: Horton's routine and Spring's routine. It was so refreshing to see dismounts other than double-doubles.

Edited by Scovies
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

That reminds me.  Why are all the men doing double-doubles off high bar?  Are the triple-doubles banned?  Or do they get bonus for the easier dismounts or something?

I think doing a triple-double is just too hard after having to perform 15 combinations of skills to be competitive so the men are exhausted by the end of the routine and any extra effort would probably kill them. That's why Nastia struggled with her dismount in '08. Valeri has put so much in her routine to bump up her D-score that she was spent by the end of her routine. 

To me, I bet high bar and uneven bars have got to be the most difficult apparatus in terms of endurance and conditioning today. 

Edited by DawnDavenport
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

That reminds me.  Why are all the men doing double-doubles off high bar?  Are the triple-doubles banned?  Or do they get bonus for the easier dismounts or something?

As far as I know triple-doubles aren't banned. They're just really, really hard so they're extremely rare. A quick Google search tells me that a double-double is rated an E but a triple-double is an F (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), which is only one-tenth higher in value. It's probably a lot harder to stick, so to most gymnasts it wouldn't be worth attempting it.

I'd like to see the double-double devalued in the next quad to encourage other dismounts.

16 minutes ago, Scovies said:

Yep. We were supposed to have the Hamm twins on our team but they both pulled out with injury. It was amazing that they had that kind of result without their two top athletes. I still remember Justin Spring and Jon Horton killing it on high bar. 

Edit: Horton's routine and Spring's routine. It was so refreshing to see dismounts other than double-doubles.

I certainly don't disagree but I never though for a minute that the Hamm twins were going to be anywhere near the team in '08. They depended too much on them returning despite neither one really competing after '04 until right before Nationals and Trials. I almost felt they became entitled and whiny at that point and expected to be added regardless of their performances. The US should have been competitive and built on '04 but they continued to ignore key events like pommel horse and didn't

I think for me I'm just tired of hearing how great they are going to be and then they just can't put it together when it counts. It's not like they've dominated at the Worlds either. An ocassional individual medal but they really cannot break through. 

The women's program learned a valuable lesson after the '97-'00 debacle where they let the program flounder after the team gold in Atlanta. While the team coordinator was controversial at the time, it really paid off and the women's program is really dominate now similar to the Soviets and Romanian's in the 80's and 90's.

• Love 1

Kyle is channelling a lot of us people re: Sam: "I'm just hear shaking my head. he had a wide open door and he just didn't walk through it."

Well, the Canadians should know ... that's exactly what was said about Patrick Chan in Sochi.  

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

Well, the Canadians should know ... that's exactly what was said about Patrick Chan in Sochi.  

Patrick "Crazy Eyes" Chan. Don't forget Vancouver '10. Could have really put up a fight there as well and couldn't deliver. Talk about a headcase. He's one of the most gifted figure skaters I"ve ever seen. Winning World title with mediocre performances, lackluster programs, and another one with a sense of entitlement. He could never put it together when it counted. I'm sure he thinks he's still he's the greatest and will attempt to have a go at it in '18. I shudder to think. 

Speaking of high bar, can one of you remind me of the details of a particularly memorable competition? I think it was in Athens, or maybe Sydney, and an amazing routine was scored lower than expected and the crowd went crazy. They had to stop the competition because the crowd was so loud, and eventually the guy who had just performed had to come out and quiet everyone down. In the end, I think the judges redid the score and gave him a higher one. I would love to rewatch that footage, but don't remember the names or year. It was one of the strangest and most amazing sports moments I've ever witnessed!

13 minutes ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

I think we're the masters of athletes able to walk through the door... but not doing it (laugh)

2 minutes ago, DawnDavenport said:

Patrick "Crazy Eyes" Chan. Don't forget Vancouver '10. Could have really put up a fight there as well and couldn't deliver. Talk about a headcase. He's one of the most gifted figure skaters I"ve ever seen. Winning World title with mediocre performances, lackluster programs, and another one with a sense of entitlement. He could never put it together when it counted. I'm sure he thinks he's still he's the greatest and will attempt to have a go at it in '18. I shudder to think. 

LOL it's so hard for me. 
I always support Canadian content buuuutttttttt. not the biggest Chan-Fan. 

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Cherpumple said:

Speaking of high bar, can one of you remind me of the details of a particularly memorable competition? I think it was in Athens, or maybe Sydney, and an amazing routine was scored lower than expected and the crowd went crazy. They had to stop the competition because the crowd was so loud, and eventually the guy who had just performed had to come out and quiet everyone down. In the end, I think the judges redid the score and gave him a higher one. I would love to rewatch that footage, but don't remember the names or year. It was one of the strangest and most amazing sports moments I've ever witnessed!

That was Alexei Nemov in Athens.

• Love 3

I think a petition needs to be started to replace Trautpig and Daggett as announcers. Jonathan and the other dude are so much better. The other guy seems to have gymnastic announcing experience. He mention calling meets for UCLA. I am not sure if Nastia is as bad, since she is never permitted to speak by the other two. I do wonder if it's an age thing, Trautpig is 60 and Dagget is 54. With Nastia being only 26, they act condescending and paternalistic. Bringing in a younger male gymnast and announcer, there would be better balance of power. Plus, gymnastic has changed a lot in nearly 40 years, plus would Dagget have been relevant if not for the boycotted 84 Olympics

Edited by Aliconehead
  • Love 9
1 minute ago, Aliconehead said:

I think a petition needs to be started to replace Trautpig and Daggett as announcers. Jonathan and the other dude are so much better. The other guy seems to have gymnastic announcing experience. He mention calling meets for UCLA. I am not sure if Nastia is as bad, since she is never permitted to speak by the other two. I do wonder if it's an age thing, Trautpig is 60 and Dagget is 54. With Nastia being only 26, the act condescending and paternalistic. Bringing in a younger male gymnast and announcer, there would be better balance of power. Plus, gymnastic has changed a lot in nearly 40 years, plus would Dagget have been relevant if not for the boycotted 84 Olympics

Maybe, but I admit I'm wary of bringing in a seemingly-awesome "b-team" to replace the old guard. Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski were really fun and informative when they called the live figure skating broadcasts in Sochi (NBC saved Scott Hamilton and Sandra Bezic for primetime). Now that they've been promoted, though, they're downright insufferable. I like Horton and Kupets a lot, but I wish they'd talk a little bit less. The only bit of credit I'l give Tim and Al is that they shut up during floor routines and wait until after to talk about them.

I'm all for ditching Trautwig, though. I wish they'd bring in Terry Gannon instead.

• Love 6

The only bit of credit I'l give Tim and Al is that they shut up during floor routines and wait until after to talk about them.

I think there was a viewer campaign a few years ago to get them to shut up during routines.  Ditto for skating routines. I remember when Peggy Fleming used to prattle on and on about costumes WHILE THERE WAS SKATING GOING ON.  

It reminds me of a Mary Tyler Moore Show episode when an inept cameraman filmed an ant on the sidewalk while there was a raging fire going on.  He told Lou, "I wanted to show everyone that even though there was a building on fire, life was going on. nearby." 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Scovies said:

Maybe, but I admit I'm wary of bringing in a seemingly-awesome "b-team" to replace the old guard. Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski were really fun and informative when they called the live figure skating broadcasts in Sochi (NBC saved Scott Hamilton and Sandra Bezic for primetime). Now that they've been promoted, though, they're downright insufferable. I like Horton and Kupets a lot, but I wish they'd talk a little bit less. The only bit of credit I'l give Tim and Al is that they shut up during floor routines and wait until after to talk about them.

I'm all for ditching Trautwig, though. I wish they'd bring in Terry Gannon instead.

I am not saying bring in the b-team just change out the announcers. The men have gotten stale and old

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Scovies said:

Oh, I agree. Al and Tim are awful senile.

Fixed that for ya. :D

Terry Gannon would be a good start. He's affable, and he does his homework, but allows the experts to speak in the specifics needed. 

• Love 6

Terry Gannon also seems to genuinely enjoy figure skating, so he never feels a need to dramatize things.

Al always has this air of secret disdain for gymnastics and a need to create drama because he doesn't think the actual sport is compelling enough to cover as it is.

John Tesh was also overly dramatic, but I never got the sense that he hated the sport. I just think there was something inherently cheesy about him and his approach, which in highsight, I'd gladly take over Al and his unrepentant assholishness. 

Edited by KFC
  • Love 7
7 minutes ago, KFC said:

Terry Gannon also seems to genuinely enjoy figure skating, so he never feels a need to dramatize things.

Al always has this air of secret disdain for gymnastics and a need to create drama because he doesn't think the actual sport is compelling enough to cover as it is.

John Tesh was also overly dramatic, but I never got the sense that he hated the sport. I just think there was something inherently cheesy about him and his approach, which in highsight, I'd gladly take over Al and his unrepentant assholishness. 

I agree. John Tesh was ridiculous, but you could tell he actually liked gymnastics, and he actually did his homework, unlike Al. He always was ready with anecdotes/personal info/previous results of the gymnasts you were watching.

• Love 3

Sam is a douche, but crappy crowd cheering each mistake during his routine.  Badly done, Brazil.  Badly done.  Thanks goodness it happened to Sam rather than to someone nice.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

So nice to see Max relegated to two quick shots after he won the floor gold while the camera was pretty much exclusively on the Brazilians. I don't think I saw an 'realization he won' shot at all .

He knew he won as soon as Sam finished  it just wasn't good enough for gold or silver  the real contest was for bronze.  I enjoyed the reaction shot of Brazil, probably because the live feed was the exact opposite, Max walking around with the flag around him.  It did kinda of suck because everyone was so excited for the Brazillians, he did not get much love during the medal ceremony in comparison 

5 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

Sam is a douche, but crappy crowd cheering each mistake during his routine.  Badly done, Brazil.  Badly done.  Thanks goodness it happened to Sam rather than to someone nice.

Word. Everything about Sam screams douche, especially the hair

Edited by Aliconehead
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

Do you mean just Rio?  Where did you get two?

of all time. 
You got the Pommel horse one by Naddour, and one ages ago. someone named Barbour. 
Al was wrong. I knew it sounded wrong. 

Edited by Daisy

Good for Alex for medaling in PH. He was a longshot to get on the podium, but he gave it everything he had when it counted the most.

I can't wait to hear what Sam's spin is for why he messed up yet another key routine. I don't know what's worse, that he consistently chokes or that he has deluded himself into believing that he is competing well. With the teams dropping to four, inevitably putting more pressure on each gymnast, another quad from Sam is the last thing the USA men's team needs. 

So nice to see Max relegated to two quick shots after he won the floor gold while the camera was pretty much exclusively on the Brazilians. I don't think I saw an 'realization he won' shot at all .

The livefeed earlier actually focused exclusively on Max for quite a bit, but since he was wrapped in an embrace with his coach(?), you couldn't actually see anything but his back.

I know some had predicted that the American women wouldn't be "allowed" to sweep the golds, but I also thought Courtney did a great job on the livefeed of explaining why Aliya had a slightly higher score than Madison. And if the judges were going to make sure another country got in there, this was their spot to do it. Simone will far outscore anyone else on floor and will more than likely do so on beam as well, as long as she doesn't actually fall off. 

Jair Lynch won silver on parallel bars in 96, Hamm and Hortin won high bar silvers in 04 and 08 respectively and the men won a handful in 84 (including a bronze for Tim and gold for...Peter Vidmar? on pommel horse). The US men don't have the track record the women do but they've won medals over the years. 

Eta: that's one of the reasons the inconsistency has been so frustrating. They've proven their talents on an individual level often enough yet they rarely get it together when it counts like team and AA finals. 

• Love 3

Off the top of my head I know that Trent Dimas won high bar in 1992. 

Bart Conner also medaled in 1984.

They are cutting out a lot of people in this final. (sigh). Y'all didn't even see Indian gymnast go (if you weren't watching the live stream). 

They're showing her right now ... 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

Bart Conner also medaled in 1984.

They're showing her right now ... 

4 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

They just showed her...

My mistake - but I know they had missed someone, and I realised it was the North Korean Gymnast, and i had thought they had cut out the Indian gymnast as well. (because they went straight to Oksana) 

Wait, WHAT? I'm watching the NBC broadcast of the UB final, and Al just mentioned Alex Naddour's bronze on PH like it was an afterthought. They showed 5 non-Americans on floor but won't bother with a freaking medalist? Fuck you, NBC. I thought you were supposed to biased towards Americans.

Edited by Scovies
  • Love 3
Just now, HerLadyship said:

Yep, NBC is going to uneven bars. NBC is skipping pommel horse -- the only event in which USA as won a MAG medal. 

But they have no problem showing a Russian girl falling on UB. Ugh, what a slap in the face to Alex.

• Love 2