Type keyword(s) to search

Artistic Gymnastics: Stick the Landing!

Why did none of the other American women go for the vault event finals? Didn't they score higher than some of the other women?

RE: Aly's likability. I've never really liked her all that much, but she's definitely grown on me  in competitions lately. I think she's genuine and hardworking. I loved her floor and thought her vault was amazing.  All of Team USA seems to be a good group of girls.  Laurie is an absolute doll, Simone is incredibly athletic, Gabby and Madison were stunning on bars.  I love the diversity of the team, and the different strengths that each girl has. 

• Love 6

I like Aly. And I feel for her parents. I don't think their intention was ever to be shown on TV flailing--in fact, it looked like her mom sat somewhere else during Trials to avoid exactly that. I'm sure it's excruciating to watch, having no control, and wanting so badly for your child to succeed and get what they've been dreaming of and working for their whole lives, and you deal with that insane anxiety in the moment the way you deal with it. I can't imagine what my mom would look like in the stands under the same circumstances. However, I do want to give some attention to the under-sung Raisman family member, Aly's brother! It's sweet how excited he is when she nails a routine. You can see how much her whole family is behind her. 

Completely disgusted by Al's comments about Simone's family. So glad that Simone's coach called him out. Did anyone else catch in last night's coverage when someone's score came up, and Al said, "We haven't had a 15.8 yet!" Except that it was, like, a 15.68, not a 15.8, which he realized a second later and tried to cover by saying, "And this one is pretty close!" Oy.  

Also according to Simone's coach, Laurie DOES have an abdominal strain but has been receiving treatment and is obviously still competing. I wouldn't be surprised though, given that knowledge, if Martha sits her on bars and vault in the finals. 

• Love 5

I was trying to find a good compare and contrast, with pictures, of vault tables over the years and couldn't find quite what I was looking for.  However, I did find this article about why the change.  Slate article  

My question is, was it really the table that was an issue, or athletes pushing to do "too much".  Not that I want anyone to get so injured, I was just wondering.  Also, this article notes that most of the injuries were due to the table being at the wrong height, and the not the shape of it.  So if a design like this can help athletes not get injured when things aren't set up quite right, that's really good.  

A follow up question to you knowledgeable folks! What apparatus do the US men start on today? I'm getting my phone charged up and the app opened up early this time, since it was so hard to get during the women's competition yesterday.

Too little too late Troutdouche!

I'm glad the US men got the Olympic Order to get Pommel Horse and Rings out the way; I hope Alex Naddour can pull in strong scores on both.  Should be interesting to watch US and China back to back in the end since High Bar is normally the strongest for US and weakest for China.

Edited by kittykat
  • Love 2
On 8/3/2016 at 5:01 PM, choclatechip45 said:

Simone went pro during the summer of 2015. I think it's a risk for every Olympic gymnast. Would Courtney Kupets, Sam Peszek or Bridget Sloan have made that much money going pro?

I think Courtney Kupets would've made a ton of money if she'd gone pro. She was extremely marketable, IMO--perhaps the most marketable US gymnast since Moceanu and Retton. Huge smile, friendly and a genuinely good sport, national AA champion and individual Games medalist--she could've cleaned up. I think it's a testament to how much she still wanted to compete that she took the NCAA route instead.

On 8/6/2016 at 6:47 PM, Black Knight said:

Yes, I remember watching Sydney coverage, and the U.S. coach telling the person who had come around asking if anyone wanted to do their vault over that Kristen Maloney did not and Elise Ray did.

And I vividly remember watching when Svetlana Khorkina, who as noted upthread had already blown it on bars in the interim, was approached to be informed about the vault. The announcer intoned, "And the news reaches Khorkina..." - and then NBC cut to commercial! Stupid NBC. Khorkina wasn't dubbed the Mad Stork for nothing, and I wanted to see her pitch the (deserved) fit she no doubt pitched.

God, I was pissed about that. As much as I feel Raducan was ill-served, they ALL were because they didn't start the meet over. I don't necessarily think Raducan would've won the gold without the vault debacle--I think it was Khorkina's year. The whole thing just disgusted me, how the hell does something like this happen at the OLYMPICS?! I had friends over last night to watch Quals, friends who know nothing about the sport, and they were asking me about it and I said "the first thing is, we don't talk about Sydney."

18 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

Oh my god, so great to see Boguinskaya rocking that bitchface so many years later as coach. Love her.

Who is Bogi coaching?

18 hours ago, DawnDavenport said:

I don't remember completely but I think Josh Tesh wouldn't shut up about Shannon Miller's elbow screw in '92 and always referred to Tatiaa Gutsu as Odessa's Painted Bird, making her sound like some kind of hooker.

It was years before I found out that was NOT an organic nickname, that NBC (or some non-Ukrainian/Unified person) came up with that. I just figured it was out of the same mold as Olga "the sparrow from Minsk" Korbut and Svetlana "the Belrussian Swan" Boguinskaya.

And lest we forget, Tesh's Greatest Moments in Cheese must include the infamous "little girls dancing!"

Shut Up Al needs to be fired for that tweet. Unbelievable, unprofessional and appalling.

16 hours ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

Simone was already targeted at an earlier world championship by an Italian gymnast (who basically said Simone won because she was black).  Simone took it all in stride.

So effing ridiculous, Carlotta--as though you had ANY chance against Simone! On beam or anywhere else.

2 minutes ago, CeeBeeGee said:

I think Courtney Kupets would've made a ton of money if she'd gone pro. She was extremely marketable, IMO--perhaps the most marketable US gymnast since Moceanu and Retton. Huge smile, friendly and a genuinely good sport, national AA champion and individual Games medalist--she could've cleaned up. I think it's a testament to how much she still wanted to compete that she took the NCAA route instead.

God, I was pissed about that. As much as I feel Raducan was ill-served, they ALL were because they didn't start the meet over. I don't necessarily think Raducan would've won the gold without the vault debacle--I think it was Khorkina's year. The whole thing just disgusted me, how the hell does something like this happen at the OLYMPICS?! I had friends over last night to watch Quals, friends who know nothing about the sport, and they were asking me about it and I said "the first thing is, we don't talk about Sydney."

Who is Bogi coaching?

It was years before I found out that was NOT an organic nickname, that NBC (or some non-Ukrainian/Unified person) came up with that. I just figured it was out of the same mold as Olga "the sparrow from Minsk" Korbut and Svetlana "the Belrussian Swan" Boguinskaya.

And lest we forget, Tesh's Greatest Moments in Cheese must include the infamous "little girls dancing!"

Shut Up Al needs to be fired for that tweet. Unbelievable, unprofessional and appalling.

So effing ridiculous, Carlotta--as though you had ANY chance against Simone! On beam or anywhere else.

I read somewhere that Kupets parents said they expected her  to earn a college scholarship for college gymnastics. Apparently they used her college fund to pay for gymnastics. 

Yikes, Alex Naddour had a big fall and I think his hand went out of bounds. Not a good start.

And now Mikulak is out of bounds on his first pass.

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 1

Yikes, the Americans are not looking so good. I take it the Brazilian team must be on another apparatus as the US is on floor since I know the crowd isn't cheering wildly for their performance (so far). 

Oh. and I am gonna need to ask for a hug. Canada isn't in the team final. :( we can't tumble, y'all. (and looking at the AA list, if Ellie Black hadn't fallen off the beam, she could have been 3rd-4th hands down, because her beam is really good). that could be good in the AA, but who knows?

Just now, kittykat said:

US are on Pommel next.  Then rings.  The US always gains ground in the back half.

Yeah, the US has always been shit on pommels. They've had a few guys over the years who are decent ring workers, but pommel horse has always been a bug a boo.

Just now, kittykat said:

Damn they're doing great on Pommel so far.

Between this and floor exercises, I feel like our team has been replaced with another team. Like those Foldger's commercials back in the day.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Elsydeon said:

Wow, they managed to not completely fuck up on pommels for once.

That's about the way to put it, I think. I wish I'd seen some of it. (The commented stream, maybe figuring in advance that it would be embarrassing, looked elsewhere.) 

13 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

USA is headed to pommel horse with China. 

Why did Japan choose to leave Kaya Kazuma at home, again? You know he's out there chucking his laptop across the room after Koji fell off the pommel horse. 

Why is it called the pommel horse for the men? And is it supposed to shake the way it does?

Damn this commented stream not showing the Americans. Now it's gone blank. At least I saw some of the Germans who are smoking hot. After 8th in qualifying they are doing pretty well.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1
Just now, Gurkel said:

Why is it called the pommel horse for the men? And is it supposed to shake the way it does?

because the handles are called pommels. 

(that's my best guess)