Type keyword(s) to search

Artistic Gymnastics: Stick the Landing!

I like the announcers on the live feed. Are they from New Zealand? The woman is very knowledgeable and is explaining things in a way that I can understand. She even says the real names of the moves. I like it!

1 minute ago, Arynm said:

I like the announcers on the live feed. Are they from New Zealand? The woman is very knowledgeable and is explaining things in a way that I can understand. She even says the real names of the moves. I like it!

on CBC? yes I think she's a NZ. I wish she talked a little bit louder  - so sometimes i drift off. but she does explain everything clearly which i like!

The man on that feed is Steve Robilliard (Australian). I remember him well from the BBC livestream coverage of various events in 2012 -- particularly swimming. He's excellent.

Did I hear right, the lady in the pink leo is 41?  Holy hell, she's amazing!

I like the commenters on the live feed, but in London I remember when it was that guy and Shannon, they totally missed the appeal on Aly's beam routine. Suddenly it was like, "And Alexandra wins the bronze medal on appeal," and I was like "what happened?"

The Belgians are cute. I like their floor routines.

Edited by Minneapple

Since every 11-12 year old Chinese girl seems to sign up for an Weibo (think Chinese twitter) account these days and it requires entering a birthday, the internet era actually makes it a little harder hide ages than it used to be. (Swimming fans have been using that Weibo data point to try to sort out some promising junior efforts)

Watching on the NBC app. Thanks for the reminder about the app because the coverage on tv is horrible. 

However, I'm watching the vault exercise now and there's no commentary. Is anyone else experiencing the same? Will they only be doing commentary when the US start their rotation? I'm no gymnastics expert. I know just enough to be dangerous but I do like to hear about the athletes. What's difficult, what's not, the history of the person I'm watching etc., Without the commentary watching can be a bit dull. 

1 hour ago, Minneapple said:

Did I hear right, the lady in the pink leo is 41?  Holy hell, she's amazing!

Oksana Chusovitina?

She has a gold medal that's probably older than most of her competitors! This is her seventh Olympics. Hope she makes it through to the vault finals. 

Edited by Ceindreadh
  • Love 3

However, I'm watching the vault exercise now and there's no commentary. Is anyone else experiencing the same? Will they only be doing commentary when the US start their rotation? I'm no gymnastics expert. I know just enough to be dangerous but I do like to hear about the athletes. What's difficult, what's not, the history of the person I'm watching etc., Without the commentary watching can be a bit dull. 

There's only commentary on the Sub-division feed, not the individual apparatus feeds.  

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Enero said:

If I understand right, the "overall" livestream of the gymnastics activities -- the one that jumps around to whatever looks good at the moment -- has commentary. However, each of the specific streams for one kind of activity (vault, etc.) is uncommented.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Mustafina just Kim Zmeskal'ed her way off beam :( 

geeze oh no. I am watching it right now, i had to rewind it because I think i fell asleep. (and by think, I mean i did fall asleep)

Edited by Daisy

Question - so if you don't qualify a team - does only ONE person qualify - or is that still based on points etc? (someone asked, and I don't know obviously) like could there be two Romanians (had they had a chance to) - or it's just 1 person flat. 

4 hours ago, emma675 said:

Anyone know where the US women start today? I've finally got the NBC app working and just flipped through all of the apparatuses but couldn't find them. Did see the Chinese girl's floor meltdown and a really solid vault from a North Korean (?) girl.

deleted due to incorrect information.  

Edited by EVS
11 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

And then to read that the exact same injury happened to his other leg in the same way four years ago as he was preparing for London.  If it weren't for bad luck, this man would have no luck at all!

That said, he's already announced that he plans to be back in Tokyo in 2020.  https://twitter.com/YahooSportFR

For those who don't know French, his exact words are "I will return to Tokyo to win gold."

My heart is sad for his dream, but I'd contribute to a Go Fund Me if it would keep him home. 

How many times can you blow your knees out backwards, snap your legs in half, knit them back together and continue subjecting them to the same activity?  If I'd known it had happened to him before, I would have been holding my breath, peeking at the screen through my fingers.

ETA:   I tore ligaments in the back of my knee a million years ago and it still wants to hyperextend backwards every now and then, which freaks me out.  So, ha, I'm no doubt extra sensitive.

Edited by candall
Suddenly realized the personal source of my horror.
  • Love 4
26 minutes ago, EVS said:

The US women start on vault at 4:30 ET. Here is a link with the apparatus order. 

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/womens-gymnastics-qualifications-two-country-rule-leads-all-around-battle

In case this helps anyone following the apparatus live streams, If I remember correctly, the order of the apparatuses is alphabetical (beam, floor, vault uneven bars). All teams don't start with beam, but they all go alphabetical from where they start. So for the US, it's vault, UB, beam, then floor. So if you find a team on one apparatus, you know where they will go next. 

Since when does V come before U in the alphabet?  Shouldn't the order be beam, floor, uneven bars, vault (or, in the case of the US, vault, beam, floor, uneven bars)?

• Love 1

I'm guessing some sort of translation of apparatus names where it was parallel uneven bars or something. Caught BeIn's gymnastics coverage a few times this year where they're going from, I think German to English and bars were 'Asymmetrical Bars' for that coverage.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, selkie said:

I'm guessing some sort of translation of apparatus names where it was parallel uneven bars or something. Caught BeIn's gymnastics coverage a few times this year where they're going from, I think German to English and bars were 'Asymmetrical Bars' for that coverage.

My understanding is the official apparatus order for all international events is

Women: Vault, Bars, Beam, Floor

Men: Floor, Pommel, Rings, Vault, Parallel Bars, High Bar

Not sure how this is derived but I believe this has been the order for several decades. A team or gymnast can start on any one of the events but they always proceed to the next event based on this order.

Ok. Sorry to confuse everyone. I was thinking it was alphabetical, which would have been bars, beam, floor vault, but I guess that is incorrect. I should leave the advice to people with better knowledge, lol.  Also, thank you Dawn for the correct order for the US women today.  

Is anyone else watching on the NBC website?  Not the app, the site.  I am and I can't find a way to switch to different apparatus.  I assume this is only a perk of the app then?  Cause I know they'll show all the US women but I'd like to move around and see as many other gymnasts as possible.  And I'm not doing the app cause I don't like watching stuff on my phone and have a general preference for large screens.

21 minutes ago, EVS said:

Ok. Sorry to confuse everyone. I was thinking it was alphabetical, which would have been bars, beam, floor vault, but I guess that is incorrect. I should leave the advice to people with better knowledge, lol.  Also, thank you Dawn for the correct order for the US women today.  

You're welcome! I'm not surprised NBC probably doesn't have the correct information listed on their site. They're more interested in talking about Simone Biles' "broken home" instead of explaining the actual competition and what's actually going on. I'm dreading the Biles and Douglas fluff, especially with (Shut-up!) Al's voiceover.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Is anyone else watching on the NBC website?  Not the app, the site.  I am and I can't find a way to switch to different apparatus.  I assume this is only a perk of the app then?  Cause I know they'll show all the US women but I'd like to move around and see as many other gymnasts as possible.  And I'm not doing the app cause I don't like watching stuff on my phone and have a general preference for large screens.

Here's a link to NBC's site with the different apparatus feeds. It's near the bottom of the page: http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/gymnastics.

I haven't tried yet but you might need to login with your cable provider info.

• Love 1

You do need to log-in with your cable provider. Trying to find the feeds is a bit ridiculous, but once you do, it's glorious! The streaming has been perfect for me. Can't wait to watch USA without all the commentary and fluff tonight in prime time.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, DawnDavenport said:

My understanding is the official apparatus order for all international events is

Women: Vault, Bars, Beam, Floor

Men: Floor, Pommel, Rings, Vault, Parallel Bars, High Bar

Not sure how this is derived but I believe this has been the order for several decades. A team or gymnast can start on any one of the events but they always proceed to the next event based on this order.

Yes that is the Olympic Order.  I think the top two qualifying teams get that order.  So for the men China and US will start on floor tomorrow.

Thanks everyone!  Watching the routines I'm realizing another mistake that NBC primetime makes that can easily be fixed.  In the live feed they simply show the the difficulty score, the execution score, and then the sum of the two for the final score.  I think this is much simpler and easy to understand than the primetime thing where they show the max number of points, the number of points deducted and then the final score.  Also, the feed version feels positive while the primtime version feels negative. 

• Love 2

If you have one of the newer Comcast boxes, you can watch the streaming right on your TV. Just look for the Olympics tab on your On Demand screen and make your selection from there. It's actually ahead of the streaming on the app or website.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

Oksana Chusovitina?

She has a gold medal that's probably older than most of her competitors! This is her seventh Olympics. Hope she makes it through to the vault finals. 

Yeah, it's both impressive and surreal to think she's won medals competing for a nation that no longer exists and was not around when most of her competitors were born.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, emma675 said:

The stupid NBC live stream keeps freezing up, it's killing me! Did Gabby step out of bounds after her first pass?

Yeah, the app is not working well right now. I think too many people are using it right now lol. Get it together, NBC! If you want millions to use your app then make sure it works for millions of people!

Love the leotards for team USA! Go Simone, she's incredible.

• Love 4

Good job by Aly and Simone.

You can tell the veterans from the "youths". Simone's routine looked packed with the wow factor. Aly's was good, but didn't seem to have as many twists, etc. as Simone's.

Again great job by both.

• Love 1