Type keyword(s) to search

The Business: News, Rumours, Analysis, and More

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

I agree they could have ended this months ago or prevented it from happening by giving them a good contract. But nope.

Let's hope the studios remember how long the unions were willing to hold out when negotiations come around again in three years' time. Maybe this'll be the reminder they need next time to give them a deal right up front so as to avoid another lengthy strike again. 

• Like 2

I would be very interested in reading details about how the negotiations went. The timing of the deal happening just before Dancing with the Stars was about to be delayed due to the backlash makes me think Disney was a big player in holding out as long as they could and in pushing the deal through this weekend. 

Now I am curious if the writing rooms for the scripted shows will open soon or if they will hold out in solidarity with the actors. Either way I would be very surprised if there isn’t a SAG-AFTRA deal soon. The big winter movies haven’t been delayed and I can’t see Disney or WB going forward with The Marvels or Aquaman without the stars available for the press tour. 

1 hour ago, Dani said:

I would be very interested in reading details about how the negotiations went. The timing of the deal happening just before Dancing with the Stars was about to be delayed due to the backlash makes me think Disney was a big player in holding out as long as they could and in pushing the deal through this weekend. 

Now I am curious if the writing rooms for the scripted shows will open soon or if they will hold out in solidarity with the actors. Either way I would be very surprised if there isn’t a SAG-AFTRA deal soon. The big winter movies haven’t been delayed and I can’t see Disney or WB going forward with The Marvels or Aquaman without the stars available for the press tour. 

Hopefully that will light a fire under their asses.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Dani said:

The timing of the deal happening just before Dancing with the Stars was about to be delayed due to the backlash makes me think Disney was a big player in holding out as long as they could and in pushing the deal through this weekend. 

I was thinking the same thing. I think most of the controversial talk show returns were syndicated. DWTS seemed to be the first network specific target, and the major breakthrough for negotiations happens 48 hours before the show was due to return. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Dani said:

I can’t see Disney or WB going forward with The Marvels or Aquaman without the stars available for the press tour. 

Honest question; why not? Yeah, they want all the publicity they can get, but are people really going to see the next big Marvel/DC movie because they see an actor on a talk show? I see actors doing press tours and other kinds of publicity as more vital to lesser known movies, not the next instalment of a super well known franchise. They can get the date out to remind the public the movie's coming in other ways, without actors, especially in the age of social media.

• Like 1

Disney and Warner Bros are probably counting on the IP being enough to get butts in seats but the actors doing promotion may be what earns the billion they’re hoping for. The studios all pulled several movies originally scheduled for the fall schedule because the actors aren’t crossing picket lines to promote. They know they need the actors to get people excited about their movies and willing to see them in theaters.

It’s why Barbie and Oppenheimer had their premieres when they did. WB and Universal knew SAG was going on strike and wanted to make as much money in the final moments as they could. They had those casts out promoting until the second the strike started. Literally as the Oppenheimer cast walked out of the London premiere when word came. Both movies made a shit ton of money and the promotion was a huge part.

• Like 4
42 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

It’s why Barbie and Oppenheimer had their premieres when they did. WB and Universal knew SAG was going on strike and wanted to make as much money in the final moments as they could. They had those casts out promoting until the second the strike started.

Didn't SAG-AFTRA even delay their strike authorization by a week or two? It felt like all of Hollywood wanted Barbenheimer to succeed.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

Honest question; why not? Yeah, they want all the publicity they can get, but are people really going to see the next big Marvel/DC movie because they see an actor on a talk show? I see actors doing press tours and other kinds of publicity as more vital to lesser known movies, not the next instalment of a super well known franchise. They can get the date out to remind the public the movie's coming in other ways, without actors, especially in the age of social media.

It helps build hype and causes FOMO amongst audiences in a way publicity without the actors can’t do. Particularly since Marvel’s reputation has taken a hit in the last couple years and DC’s reputation is in the toilet. Both movies have big things working against them and seeing the actors doing interviews does help to raise awareness that they are coming out. 

1 hour ago, absnow54 said:

Didn't SAG-AFTRA even delay their strike authorization by a week or two? 

They did because they felt they were making progress in negotiations. I later saw some felt the studios strung them along so that Barbie and Oppenheimer could get normal promotion. 

The writers are over the moon about this deal. I’m so happy for them!

The streaming number disclosures stands out in particular. They’re going to get residuals based on their streaming work and they should be able to use the numbers to their benefit for future projects.

• Like 8

It is such a relief that WGA members are happy with the deal. Plus it’s definitely a good sign that the studios may now be willing to have good faith negotiations with the actors. 

Deadline is reporting that SAG-AFTRA negotiations could resume this week. 

3 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Someone tweeted Drew Carey should never have to buy a drink in Hollywood ever again and here’s why:

I heard a story about this through one of our local NPR stations here in LA.  That Bob's Big Boy is about a five-minute drive from me, and it's an institution.  So, so, so cool to hear that about Carey.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Avabelle said:

How did talks go today with sag aftra?

I haven’t see any updates but the CEO’s who were involved with the final WGA negotiations are supposed to be involved with talks today. That was a turning point for the WGA deal so hopefully the same will be true for SAG-AFTRA. 

I can't find the original post now, but IIRC now the writers are back it still takes six weeks or so to get to the casting phase of any new project. Six more weeks for AMPTP to continue on with their BS before they have to face facts and settle.

If anyone with more knowledge wants to correct me, absolutely do so!

• Useful 3
5 hours ago, Anduin said:

I can't find the original post now, but IIRC now the writers are back it still takes six weeks or so to get to the casting phase of any new project. Six more weeks for AMPTP to continue on with their BS before they have to face facts and settle.

If anyone with more knowledge wants to correct me, absolutely do so!

I’m far from an expert but, based on the projects halted, this is true for some and not true for others. The normal network shows were just about to start writing their new seasons when the strike started. So they and new projects have time but there a lot of projects that don’t have that buffer.

A lot of big movies shut down filming. Marvel’s entire 2024 film schedule is up in the air until the actors can come back. And if there is no deal soon The Marvels and Hunger Games prequel will have to premiere with no press tour. That’s two tentpool movies that are likely to be negatively impacted without a deal being made very soon. Plus nearly all the streamers have big shows premiering now with no actors to promote them. 

The WGA deal coming days before Dancing with the Stars was going to be delayed has stuck with me. I think they are still going to continue with the BS but they are under the gun in a lot of areas. 

Sure, that was just what I half-remember reading. :) I really don't see why the studios are delaying the inevitable, once the writers deal was done it only lent power to the other groups.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

It would perhaps make more sense if they tried a different tactic than with the writers, but I've read that it is basically the same ... What was that line about doing the same thing and expecting different result?

In the court of public opinion, they really aren't doing well. There's the occasional press release about how they tried to negotiate, but that's always shot down straight away. It's very strange behaviour.

• Like 3

I’m really sick of the AMTPT. Are they really so buttsore about giving the writers their deal that they think their dirty tactics will keep the actors under their thumb? They’re the only ones that seem to want to drag things out and it’s only going to hurt themselves in the long run.

• Like 6

SAG-AFTRA, Studios Expected to Continue Talks Friday

After an unexpected postponement, SAG-AFTRA and Hollywood studios made some steady progress toward a new deal during talks on Thursday afternoon, according to studio-side insiders with knowledge of the talks. 

The insiders said talks are expected to continue on Friday, though that won’t be confirmed until the guild makes such an announcement in a memo to members. A representative for the guild declined to comment, citing SAG-AFTRA’s “deep focus on bargaining in good faith to secure a fair deal.”

Should talks continue Friday, the pace of negotiations will have accelerated to a daily rate rather than every other day from when talks were held from Oct. 2-11. 

That’s not surprising given that the already high sense of urgency among studios to get a deal done has increased even further, as insiders say there are fears that the 2023-24 TV season cannot be salvaged if a contract isn’t reached in the next two weeks. Sources say that some films set for release in 2024 may also have to be moved if a deal isn’t reached soon, as was the case for Paramount’s “Mission: Impossible 8” earlier this week.

11 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

If the strike is resolved before Tuesday, I hope Halloween costumes are attributed with ending the strike in the same way Dancing with the Stars ended the WGA strike. 

I was thinking that myself, when the news first broke of negotiations resuming. 'Maybe it's the costumes that did it.' We can only wait and hope. :)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, JustHereForFood said:

I just hope it's soon enough that the actors can promote the new Doctor Who specials. Yes, I'm self-centered like that.

Doctor Who is an interesting situation. It is an Equity production but Disney is a distributor and the show will be on Disney+ outside the UK. Some of the actors, like David and Ncuti, are likely to be both SAG and Equity members but some may just be Equity members. 

David is choosing to stand in solidarity and not do his own promotion in panels but he may still need to promote the specials to some degree, particularly in the UK. 

1 hour ago, Laura Holt said:

‘Killers of the Flower Moon’ Intermission Violations: Apple, Paramount Crack Down on Handful of Theaters Breaking Agreement

I don't understand why it matters if theatres offer an intermission.  Do the film makers feel it ruins the experience?  

Many international theaters included intermissions for The Way of Water and Endgame so this is probably Scorsese’s normal crap about “cinema”. 

Scorsese’s quote on the runtime reminded me why I think he is an elitist ass. My TV also comes with a pause button, dumbass.

“People say it’s three hours, but come on, you can sit in front of the TV and watch something for five hours.”

1 hour ago, Laura Holt said:

Because intermission or no if I am in a movie that long I am making my own intermission at some point anyway!

Exactly. I guarantee that my inevitable break is going to be more disruptive to the flow of the movie than a scheduled break. 

22 minutes ago, Dani said:

Scorsese’s quote on the runtime reminded me why I think he is an elitist ass. My TV always comes with a pause button, dumbass.

“People say it’s three hours, but come on, you can sit in front of the TV and watch something for five hours.”

Dude!  The arrogance and obliviousness in that quote just took me out.

There are many great LONG films that had intermissions.  Live theatre has intermissions.  Yours isn't that special.

Also, even if I am binge watching something on tv for multiple hours, I am not sitting there in a chair hemmed in by other people, not moving.  I pause, get up, get snacks, yell at my kids, feed my cat, talk to my husband... I move around because you know sitting for long periods of time in a single stretch can lead to health issues.

It is also short-sighted if your aim is promote seeing film in a theatre, which is a drum he continually bangs.  If that is the end goal, then making the movie going experience as attractive as possible should be part of it.  It could also lead to people buying more snacks which is really where the theatre itself makes their money.

• Like 14

I did see it in the theater, and I was extremely happy that my theater has reclining seats -- almost like the La-Z-Boy at home!  And I rationed my drink and snacks so I wouldn't run out too soon (like during the previews).  But only one person (out of about a dozen) got up, so I guess we didn't need an intermission?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

It is also short-sighted if your aim is promote seeing film in a theatre, which is a drum he continually bangs.  If that is the end goal, then making the movie going experience as attractive as possible should be part of it.  It could also lead to people buying more snacks which is really where the theatre itself makes their money.

I don't got to a  lot of movies and was shocked a few years ago when I finally got around to going to one and saw that it sure wasn't popcorn and a soft drink anymore!  And the seats!  Wow, no one put their big feet up on the back of my chair - heaven.

In terms of an intermission every play I have ever gone to has an intermission built into it.  Now this may be in part for the benefit of the performers and to change the scenery etc but it's also absolutely expected by theatregoers no matter how long or short the play.  I still remember seeing a play in London with my mother and during the intermission they came into the theatre itself selling little dishes of ice cream.  Now that's classy 🙂

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I did see it in the theater, and I was extremely happy that my theater has reclining seats -- almost like the La-Z-Boy at home!  And I rationed my drink and snacks so I wouldn't run out too soon (like during the previews).  But only one person (out of about a dozen) got up, so I guess we didn't need an intermission?

Yeah. It’s really going to depend on the theater. The one I go to has full recliners with plenty of aisle space and not too many previews. The big chain theaters where I am mostly have small seats that only slightly recline, very little aisle space, shared armrests and ridiculous number of previews. That 3 1/2 hour runtime becomes nearly 4 hours from the showing time. 

People with certain accessibility issues probably just resign themselves to not seeing movies like this in the theater. 

2 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Exactly this. Apparently that isn’t even the complete quote. The full thing makes him look like an even bigger tool as well as surprising clueless about live theater and the history of cinema. 

"You can sit in front of the TV and watch something for five hours. Also, there are many people who watch theatre for 3.5 hours. There are real actors on stage, you can't get up and walk around. You give it that respect, give cinema some respect."

Yeah it depends on the theater.  In my town the movie theater got converted to stadium seating with the big chairs and they deliver food to you.  But the next town over they still have the traditional flip up/down seats.

It isn't necessarily the individual experience though, it is the entitlement inherent in that quote.  I always hate false analogies "well if you can do X then you can do Y' when X and Y are two completely different things. It can also be ableist.

Also I read that the majority of the theatres who put in the intermissions were overseas.  Yet there is a long history of movie edits to accommodate differences between the American movie going experience and international. There are cases when actual content has been edited.  The Wolf of Wall Street had a lot of nudity and profanity edited out in Muslim countries. 

• Like 6

Oh, yeah? Tell that to my bladder. I've never been able to go five hours working or watching TV and not had to go the bathroom.  

• Like 5

I think the only Hollywood movie I've ever seen that had an intermission was Attenborough's Gandhi, which ran over four hours.

All of Bollywood movies have a 15 minute intermission. I guess I'm surprised that as movies here get longer and longer (not including the almost 20 minutes of previews), that they haven't included an intermission tag.

As much as I love Scorcese, he can just SHUT IT and stick to doing what he does best and not opening his fucking mouth.

• Like 3