Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E06: Los Angeles Finals

• Start Topic

(edited)

No, Natalie! Damn. She should've waited and built up more momentum. I hope she comes back next year, though, and doesn't let this discourage her.

Wow, Coolidge pulled his pants down so far at one point I thought things were about to get R rated. 

That wedge obstacle is brutal. 50 minutes in and no one's been able to beat it. I have to agree with posters in previous threads, they're making some of these obstacles ridiculously difficult.

Edited by slf
  • Love 1

Anybody else hoping Jessie doesn't use her powers for evil? She didn't clear the course like Kacy did two years ago, but that was one helluva run.

Dunno what was worse . . . Flip revealing why he wore the mask, or the unintentional dismount off The Wedge. I don't want to pity the guy, but damn. Nice to see him rebound after all those years.

Suspense: Can Kevin Bull clear a finals course after everybody else biffs it?

ETA: One guy clears it. Do the course creators get a bonus? Also, I'm fuzzy on the math . . . this year, there are only five regional courses. That means 75 slots would be filled. Will ANW be shooting for 100, with 25 wild cards? Or am I missing something?

• Love 3

Adding to the Jessie Graff love because, damn, she's just awesome!  She's so incredibly impressive.  I love that she was the first to get through The Wedge; and she ended up second overall.  I just love her, she stays so positive and has such control, she's great to watch.

On the other hand, show, if only two people can get through the 8th obstacle, and only one can finish, perhaps it's a wee bit too hard?  This was worse than Venice last year for placements, wasn't it?

• Love 12
(edited)

Jessie Graff is a f*cking BOSS!  I mean, come on.  

I may be annoyed by the commentary but Akbar has my eternal love for "Tik Top, ya DO stop!".  I laughed right out loud...

Dadgummit! Stupid weather bulletin ruins everything! How did Kevin Bull do? We got interrupted when he was in the middle of his run. 

Ate it on the Wedge but headed to Vegas on merit.  

Edited by VartanFan
  • Love 2

Even though at the start of Jessie's run you could see she was really nervous (I'm sure she felt a lot of pressure), with each obstacle her actions seemed deliberate and controlled- you could see her really considering the wedge, the best way to propel herself forward, etc. She's such a champ. I was happy to see so many people, especially the other female contestants, support her. The crowd lost it when she made it past the wedge, which was sweet. I have my fingers crossed she can make it through stage two.

• Love 5

Jessie is a beast.  There are no words. What an amazing athlete she is.

I wanted to give Flip a big hug.  I really like his new, more authentic self.

So impressed by the guy who made it through.  

All that being said, I really don't like it when courses are so hard, no one finishes.  Again, like last year, too much upper body, not enough of everything else.  The fact that Jessie and the rookie guy made it to the Double Helix was great, but it's kind of boring to watch all of the contestants (especially some of my favorites) going splat.  

• Love 6
(edited)

It was great to watch Jessie finally beat that wedge when everyone else fell.

I think I like the courses that are so hard (almost) nobody makes it to the end. That is better than the easy tracks where lots of jerks showboat or speed run through.

Edited by AConspiracy
  • Love 1
(edited)
44 minutes ago, AConspiracy said:

It was great to watch Jessie finally beat that wedge when everyone else fell.

I think I like the courses that are so hard (almost) nobody makes it to the end. That is better than the easy tracks where lots of jerks showboat or speed run through.

I think last year the course got too easy that the "professionals" showboated.   This year it is challenging enough that it has become something to well challenge them again and that is the whole point.

These are athletes with an incredibly steep learning curve.  Everyone who got a second chance at the spider wall that fell last time got past it this time.  My guess is that if they got a second shot at the wedge most if not all would have beaten it as well.   

I think that is why the corse is one and done. Steep learning curve.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2

But last years LA course only had 1 finisher to, if I remember correctly.  A lot failed on the last obstacle, just gassed out.  But I think the host even said, the dude that lived in his van and ate out of dumpsters was the only finisher in last years Venice final.  It makes me wonder if there are different course designers in each city.  Or if LA is first, then they tweak the next city to make it a little easier.

• Love 1

Oh, I also want to give much respect to Flip for his disclosure. Odds are, there were at least a few kids watching who are where he used to be. Hopefully, his courage was able to give them strength as well. It's never your fault; the shame is not yours.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Julie Firestone said:

Oh, I also want to give much respect to Flip for his disclosure. Odds are, there were at least a few kids watching who are where he used to be. Hopefully, his courage was able to give them strength as well. It's never your fault; the shame is not yours.

I always liked Flip and think that he is a natural. I missed his segment, what did he say?

1 hour ago, riverheightsnancy said:

I always liked Flip and think that he is a natural. I missed his segment, what did he say?

He disclosed that he had been sexually abused and that was why he wore the mask.  It was very moving.

Jessie Graff is the new queen of ANW. Can NBC please let Kacy fade into obscurity now? Though I sort of fear the Jessie over-saturation we're in for. NBC's possible shenanigans aside, that was an incredible run.  She was amazing, and a Super Wonder Woman!

I almost regret not watching Flip's background story, but I don't watch any of them.

As amazing as Jessie's run was, you have to give credit to Josh Levin for being the only person to complete the course. That arm killing back half is just vicious. What I liked about his story is that he succeeded as a rookie, outperforming all the veterans.

• Love 2

Jessie Graff is the new queen of ANW. Can NBC please let Kacy fade into obscurity now? Though I sort of fear the Jessie over-saturation we're in for. NBC's possible shenanigans aside, that was an incredible run.  She was amazing, and a Super Wonder Woman!

Agree with all of this.  But I think that, given her line of work, this is like a video resume.  It could really help her a lot.  I hope it does and she can help her career.  

Are we only allowed to care about one female competitor at a time?  I really like Jessie.  I also really like Kacy, Michelle, Meagan, Tianna, and Natalie.  I also like Flip, Geoff Britten, John Stewart, Sam Sann, Trayvon Martin, Abel Gonzalez and bunches of others.  (And it really disturbs me that I remember all of their names!)

The way NBC was showcasing Jessie, though, I think she will be the go-to female competitor from now on.  Since she works in the entertainment industry, she's in a real position to benefit from it.  I'm glad for her.

Josh Levin was an amazing competitor and I really like his backstory.  I can't imagine how stressful it must be for his teacher - she looks super-young to have advanced COPD.  :(

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, SophiaD said:

Are we only allowed to care about one female competitor at a time?  I really like Jessie.  I also really like Kacy, Michelle, Meagan, Tianna, and Natalie.  I also like Flip, Geoff Britten, John Stewart, Sam Sann, Trayvon Martin, Abel Gonzalez and bunches of others.  (And it really disturbs me that I remember all of their names!)

I don't think this is the name you were looking for...

• Love 5
(edited)

I've always casually watched this show, but this is the first time I've watched each week. Words can't explain how awesome Jessie is. I know they mention it ad nauseam that she was a pole vaulter, but it's evident, because she has some of the best dismounts and landings. She seemed very in control throughout her run. How great that only was she the first to get past the wedge, but that she placed second overall. It's a shame she couldn't get past the double helix. This course was very upper body intensive, which is probably why there was only one finisher. 

Oh and does anyone know when Meagan Martin is competing? They've become must-see for me.

Edited by SophiaPehawkins
  • Love 2
(edited)

Curse of Akbar strikes again.  Whenever he says "I believe in __________", someone falls almost immediately after.  Latest victim: Jessie Graff.

To put it another way?  SHUT UP AKBAR!!!

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, SophiaD said:

Are we only allowed to care about one female competitor at a time?

Ah clearly you missed "Fantastic Four" week.

NBC will over-pimp however many people, of either gender, they can get away with at once.

On 7/12/2016 at 8:54 PM, Richness said:

Jessie Graff is the new queen of ANW. Can NBC please let Kacy fade into obscurity now?

Apparently not entirely, since they still insist on showing crowd reaction shots including her whenever ANY other woman competes.

On 7/12/2016 at 1:44 AM, SophiaD said:

I wanted to give Flip a big hug.  I really like his new, more authentic self.

He was kind of king of the jackasses back then.  Even after the mask came off it did seem a little like he milked it as a stunt. That said, even if he was, he's infinitely less of a prat than The Wolfpack, who reek of arrogance no matter what they do. 

Know what's funny? Even though they never refer to Meagan Martin a member and simply say she "trains with them", she's actually front and center ON THEIR WEBSITE now.  Really.  Because they realize they need her likability to combat their image as a bunch of dillholes. Notice who's not on the Wolfpack website front page?  The one you'd THINK would be there, Isaac Caldiero. They must realize how much people loathe him.

PVdisx.jpg

• Love 1
(edited)

OMG, how horribly clueless of me!  I'm so sorry.  Yes, I meant Tremayne Dortsch.  Thank you, everyone, for the correction!

RIP to Trayvon and condolences to all who still grieve his loss.

Edited by SophiaD
  • Love 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, SophiaD said:

Are we only allowed to care about one female competitor at a time?

The way NBC was showcasing Jessie, though, I think she will be the go-to female competitor from now on.

Of course not. I was just as thrilled, if not more so, when Kacy went up the Warped Wall the first time. Unfortunately, NBC then deluged us with Kacy, KACY, KACY! at every opportunity. I didn't mind it too much during that season, but she's gotten so much screen time, background shots, and color commentary during the show that I'm tired of hearing about/from her, especially when it takes away from airtime of the other ninjas. (I hate the interviews with ninjas that didn't just participate almost as much as even more than I dislike hearing all the background sob stories.) And unfortunately, Kacy failed to deliver since that awesome season, so NBC's oversaturation is even more annoying. I hate that the pressure and misplaced responsibility got to her, but it's time for NBC to move on to someone else, whether that's Jessie or one of the "Fantastic Four". Obviously, my complaint is with NBC, and NOT Kacy herself.

Edited by Richness
wrong comparison of interviews/backgrounds
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Kromm said:

Curse of Akbar strikes again.  Whenever he says "I believe in __________", someone falls almost immediately after.  Latest victim: Jessie Graff.

To put it another way?  SHUT UP AKBAR!!!

My brother and I refer to something similar as the Little Gods Are Listening.  Whenever someone says something that tempts fate like "I haven't had a car accident since I was 16!", the Little Gods can hear them and BAM!  Accident.  It happens all the time in sports.  A commentator notes that the QB hasn't had an interception in some stupid number of pass attempts.  Next throw? Intercepted.

Maybe there's a Little God who watches ANW and listens for Akbar to say he believes?

21 hours ago, Kromm said:

He was kind of king of the jackasses back then.  Even after the mask came off it did seem a little like he milked it as a stunt. That said, even if he was, he's infinitely less of a prat than The Wolfpack, who reek of arrogance no matter what they do. 

Know what's funny? Even though they never refer to Meagan Martin a member and simply say she "trains with them", she's actually front and center ON THEIR WEBSITE now.  Really.  Because they realize they need her likability to combat their image as a bunch of dillholes. Notice who's not on the Wolfpack website front page?  The one you'd THINK would be there, Isaac Caldiero. They must realize how much people loathe him.

PVdisx.jpg

Isaac isn't part of the Wolfpack anymore.  He dumped them when he won last year.  Isaac is actually the only one I didn't like.  I like the rest of them, even though I think Noah is kinda dorky.  But he's not competing this year, sooo.  I like everyone in the group.  I don't think they are arrogant, just focused. 

I did notice that Brian Arnold seems to have a job now.  No more "stay at home dad" so he can train 100% for ANW.  I guess his girlfriend made him step it up and help support the family.

• Love 1
(edited)

The dismount from the Wedge was ridiculous.  It was such a big space to cover and so many crashed into the barrier.  I kept worrying that someone was going to break a jaw by face-planting or break their neck landing upside down.  Not fun to watch.  I know it's padded, but still, your body is stopping abruptly.

I don't mind seeing Kacy because she's a great advocate for the sport, and she doesn't come off as entitled.  I FF during almost all of the non-run parts anyway, though.

Edited by backgroundnoise
On 7/11/2016 at 7:37 PM, VartanFan said:

[Kevin Bull a]te it on the Wedge but headed to Vegas on merit.  

He had thought about slowing down to save strength, but just couldn't do it.  As a result, he started the Wedge almost a minute ahead of the next guy.

22 hours ago, simplyme said:

My brother and I refer to something similar as the Little Gods Are Listening.  Whenever someone says something that tempts fate like "I haven't had a car accident since I was 16!", the Little Gods can hear them and BAM!  Accident.  It happens all the time in sports.  A commentator notes that the QB hasn't had an interception in some stupid number of pass attempts.  Next throw? Intercepted.

I saw this in action during a bull riding show (I root for the bulls -- one owner said they're like giant puppies that love the rodeo!).  Each time a commentator said "I believe in [this guy]", he wouldn't make 6 seconds, much less 8.

I don't mind seeing Kacy because she's a great advocate for the sport, and she doesn't come off as entitled.  I FF during almost all of the non-run parts anyway, though.

From what I've seen of her and from her twitter page she comes off as a genuinely nice person.   I think she is one of those people I might actually like in real life.  Plus I like watching her reaction shots when other people run.  When the guy with one leg did the course her reaction shots were priceless.  Plus when Jessie did the finals course she was genuinely happy.  I just think Kacy might have peaked early and others have surpassed her.  That's not a bad thing.  Maybe if all that stress and expectations weren't on her she'd do better but.....Still Kacy does come off as someone I'd like in real life.  

For me the solution is obvious: Kacy needed to be drafted as a commentator or sideline reporter (thus giving both her and NBC an excuse for her to not run anymore).  Unless they tested her out and that chirpy voice of her just wasn't workable.  That's possible I suppose.

Kacy needed to be drafted as a commentator or sideline reporter

Oh no!  I hope no one from the show reads that and thinks it's a great idea.  Kacy's baby voice is like nails on a chalkboard.  I'd wear out my remote hitting MUTE.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, mlp said:

Oh no!  I hope no one from the show reads that and thinks it's a great idea.  Kacy's baby voice is like nails on a chalkboard.  I'd wear out my remote hitting MUTE.

Her voice isn't as bad when she calms down. It goes down a bit.  You can see this in the set interview pieces with her vs. the candid ones.  She might just need good media training.

The real problem is that she pulls faces.  So that would pose a problem for the sideline version (vs. the commentators, where you rarely see them).

• Love 1