Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E14: The Benefits Of Friendship

• Start Topic

(edited)

Of course LuAnn would think it was a deliberate shun to be introduced by one adult to another adult by her first name.  As "The Countess" has stated, the driver is 'like a kid' and he should therefore address her accordingly. 

I think the "subordinate position" is what makes it fucking pretentious.  He was just a driver, below Ms. de Lesseps and therefore like a kid, he should address her by the proper name. 

Oh no, he was a driver, it's not as if he were anyone on LuAnn's level.  Of course not.  He was an employee.  Like a kid who needs to show respect for his teacher.

...and a lot of pretentious bitches think that the help need to show them respect "like a kid" would an adult .

What? Are kids the only ones who are supposed to show respect?  And I highly doubt that Bethenny would appreciate her boyfriend's driver (who she'd probably never had a real conversation with) opening the limo door for her and saying "Hey, Beth".  Hell, she doesn't even show her own driver any respect, shoving a bloodied pillow at him and telling him to take care of it. I doubt dealing with bloody pillows is in his job description.

Edited by parisprincess
  • Love 10
1 minute ago, Yours Truly said:

Yeah and by that time Lu saw the rest of the footage where Carole was showing her ass about the whole thing while making it clear she gave zero fucks about anything but getting her pistachio cracked by the chef as he tries a new recipe. Relevant factors play a part in a persons emotions and reactions just sayin'. I wanted to slap the shit outta Carole when I saw her nasty ass and TH's and it's not even my niece that she was disrespecting. Carole was all about being happy that she snagged a dude 20 years younger than her whose last piece of ass was 30 years younger. All of the lovey dovey shit came after that rather disgusting display and Lu went on her attack because she saw the despicable prequel to their strained relationship in full force.

Hard to feel happy for someone who smirks and giggles into the camera that she could give a flying fuck about how your friends niece handles the news even though it was expressed that emotions were a bit raw over the issue.

That's not the case with Lu's declarations about her relationship this season.

We must not be watching the same show, because all I see is LuAnn dismissing and disrespecting anything Tom had with Ramona or Sonja and giving zero fucks about anything that happened "BL".  Sonja and Tom had a thing?  Nope, he just fucked her once...wham, bam, thank you ma'am.  Ramona and Tom dated?  Nope, they had dinner once.  Or seven.  Or a dozen.  Who the fuck cares, that was all BEFORE LU!!!!  Tom's Ex?  Pffffttttt.  Nothing of any significance happened before Tom fucked Lu.  Just ask Lu, she'll tell ya. 

• Love 5

Look, Luann is frequently arrogant.  The "you introduced me to the driver as Luann... it's Mrs. de Lesseps... you know, like with children" was one of her most arrogant moments.  It is what it is.  

• Love 6
(edited)
23 minutes ago, motorcitymom65 said:

I would be incredibly insulted if someone I considered a peer decided to school me in manners.  I get it, some folks do that. I believe that it just makes the person you are addressing feel small.  My hubby and I go to a favorite restaurant where we generally sit at the bar.  The bartender there always asks for your name and they put it on a napkin.  I guess if I were Lu I would say "Mr and Mrs Motorcity? She might, but I certainly wouldn't because that would be ridiculous and I would look like a fool.  Is a Driver higher or lower on the service totem pole than a bartender? Since I don't disguinish between "the help" and regular folk, I'm out of touch.  Come to think of it, this is a theme with Lu.  Remember in her blog last year when she started after Carole for going after "her help"? Devastating to be sure  I'm surprised she was able to cope with the grief.  

i think the larger point about that exchange was that this was "The Countess" behaving this way. The way she behaved on TV.  This wasn't Lu that they all knew and liked, who was very different away from the camera. The Lu they knew and liked wouldn't have such trouble about how she was introduced to the help. The Lu they liked would probably be fucking the help. As the matter of fact, I don't think she demanded she be addressed in any specific manner when she was introduced to The Pirate by Sonja.....

Well I will definitely school you in manners if your lack of manners disrespects me and that's is what Lu was doing. Am I going to chastise you for not saying good morning to the bus driver when we get on? Nope. I personally do but if you don't thats on you. But I'm not going to allow an air of "it's okay to be super casual with me AND my friend over here" if I don't in fact find that agreeable. That's MY choice not for someone else to guilt me about just like I won't guilt someone else for not extending the courtesy of a "Good Morning" to the public servant that's getting us to work on time. Just sayin'

Edited by Yours Truly
  • Love 2
Just now, parisprincess said:

What? Are kids the only ones who are supposed to show respect?  And I highly doubt that Bethenny would appreciate her boyfriend's driver (who she'd probably never had a real conversation with) opening the door for her and saying "Hey, Beth".  Hell, she doesn't even show her own driver any respect, shoving a bloodied pillow at him and telling him to take care of it. I doubt dealing with bloody pillows is in his job description.

Well, we never saw Bethenny have an issue with it, and Bethenny at least knew the driver's first name and addressed him as such, so she learned that much about him.  I think Bethenny seems to have a good relationship with her driver, he seems to like her and have rapport. 

• Love 2
(edited)
14 minutes ago, shoegal said:

I think it's odd that anyone would feel that introducing one adult to another adult by their first name is disrespectful.  Of course, unless that other adult is a lowly employee, dahhhhling, then the hierarchy must be maintained!!  The Countess shall be introduced properly to the unwashed masses!!  and if not, then you will be admonished, corrected and "schooled" accordingly, because it's super respectful to tell someone that they have improper manners. 

No there are very simple reasons why someone would want to be addressed as Mrs. or Mr. no amount of minimizing changes that. And I'll even go further and say it's really not something very alarming either. Average Janes and Joe's also like the respect. Not far fetched as some would like to suggest.

Edited by Yours Truly
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, shoegal said:

We must not be watching the same show, because all I see is LuAnn dismissing and disrespecting anything Tom had with Ramona or Sonja and giving zero fucks about anything that happened "BL".  Sonja and Tom had a thing?  Nope, he just fucked her once...wham, bam, thank you ma'am.  Ramona and Tom dated?  Nope, they had dinner once.  Or seven.  Or a dozen.  Who the fuck cares, that was all BEFORE LU!!!!  Tom's Ex?  Pffffttttt.  Nothing of any significance happened before Tom fucked Lu.  Just ask Lu, she'll tell ya. 

Because they are exagerrating their connections in order to fuck with Lu and she knows it. Plain as the nose on their faces. Come on now.

• Love 1
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Yours Truly said:

No there are very simple reasons why someone would want to be addressed as Mrs. or Mr. no about of minimizing changes that. And I'll even go further and say it's really not something very alarming either. Average Janes and Joe's also like the respect. Not far fetched as some would like to suggest.

I agree, there are very simple reasons why someone would want to be addressed 'with respect' and it's usually an over inflated sense of self and a pretentious nature.  LuAnn wanted to separate herself from the help.  He is a driver, an employee, therefore he is to show respect to her like a child. 

Average Jane's and Joe's also like respect.....like say, an average Joe who work as a driver??

Edited by shoegal
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Yours Truly said:

Because they are exagerrating their connections in order to fuck with Lu and she knows it. Plain as the nose on their faces. Come on now.

Like LuAnn tried to imply that Adam and her niece were still involved even though they had broken up over a year ago?  I think Carole got some shit for believing Adam's side of the story regarding his relationship with Nicole, but LuAnn is swallowing Tom's claims (pun intended) and dismissing any counter info from Ramona or Sonja and that's peachy keen!  Because he's her soulmate!!

• Love 6

There was a joke about the 'perfect woman' - not going to tell it here because someone will post that "THAT IS NOT THE WAY IT GOES/SEXIST/HATEFUL".

I think that LuLu is a perfect woman.

Look at her resume? TV personality, Author, Singer, Designer Model, Game Show host, Beauty Pageant winner, she's 'royalty'. She smokes and drinks - holds her liquor well. Not going to mention her personal (Sex) life because a gentleman never does that - Altho, the extra teeth do intrigue me - she likes long walks in the morning and I bet she's come home with leaves in her underwear?

Lu may be a drama queen, but she sure showed class for not flying into a hair pulling rage and fucked beffy up when she was being yelled at.

If beffeny or scare-ole been called whores/sluts they would have fought that person - in their dreams. They probably would have fallen to the ground and curled up into the fetal position, wondering when it would be safe to run away?

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, OhGromit said:

If someone wanted me to call them "Mrs." because I was just a driver and it's what children call them, I'd find it really damned disrespectful.  

The problem might have been less of one had Bethenny introduced Luann as "Luann de Lesseps.  Then the driver could decide whether to address her as Luann or Mrs. de Lesseps.  With Bethenny's introduction there was no option for the driver.  She never said he was just a driver. 

Manners are designed to make people feel comfortable and it is a two way street.  Teachers at school call parents Mr, Miss or Mrs and vice versa.  It is just a way of not only respecting a person but letting them know the relationship is a professional one not a personal one.  I rarely heard parents call the teachers by their first name.   

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, shoegal said:

Luann is that chick that gets into a relationship and believes everything her man tells her. Not that I would be shocked about Ramona and Sonja lying or exaggerating, I just thought it was funny that Luann is so convinced that his relationships with both women were extremely brief because Tom said so. Like no man has ever downplayed his relationship with another woman to his current one. Lol. 

Honestly I think Luann is probably really falling in love and that's great, but I also think she's feeling reeeeal validated for snatching a rich normal dude. Let's be real. Her mentioning his terrace on the Upper East Side and Bethenny's expression, like, so what bitch? No more pirates and Rey's and Luann is gonna let you know. Honestly considering they've only been together for a few weeks at this point, and the fact that this dude has apparently fucked half of their friend circle, I think it's understandable that the women don't yet take their relationship seriously. Luann needs to get over herself. Although do I think there is a chance that Sonja and Ramona are a bit jealous? Perhaps. 

• Love 8
27 minutes ago, Yours Truly said:

Well I for one have no problem doing it if I find myself in the presence of someone who disrespects me frequently. Then it's time to get Barney style on a mofo cause that shit doesn't fly. Most people would agree that addressing something head on in order to avoid similiar occurances of disrespect in the future is not something to feel guilty about.

When you MUST deal with someone who is a total asshole and constantly makes stupid remarks, go deaf.

When they say something stupid, act as if you didn't hear it and say something like, "I'm sorry, I didn't hear you - what did you say?"  IF they do repeat their statement, just shrug and say, "That is what I thought you said" and walk away.

Keep doing it until they get the message.

• Love 3

When Heather, Luann, Carole, Kristen and Sonja trapped Ramona in a booth to confront her about her disrespectful behavior, Sonja made three references to Carole, as "her".  Carole interrupted twice and said, "it is Carole."  Was that Carole being all princess like in demanding (talk about losing sight of the goal) she be addressed by her first name instead of a pronoun?  No.  Carole was demanding respect from Sonja.  No comment on the protocol of trapping a co-worker in a booth and five against one. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, potato said:

Luann is that chick that gets into a relationship and believes everything her man tells her. . 

And if the man tells nothing but the truth? That is where the problems start!

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, potato said:

Luann is that chick that gets into a relationship and believes everything her man tells her. Not that I would be shocked about Ramona and Sonja lying or exaggerating, I just thought it was funny that Luann is so convinced that his relationships with both women were extremely brief because Tom said so. Like no man has ever downplayed his relationship with another woman to his current one. Lol. 

Honestly I think Luann is probably really falling in love and that's great, but I also think she's feeling reeeeal validated for snatching a rich normal dude. Let's be real. Her mentioning his terrace on the Upper East Side and Bethenny's expression, like, so what bitch? No more pirates and Rey's and Luann is gonna let you know. Honestly considering they've only been together for a few weeks at this point, and the fact that this dude has apparently fucked half of their friend circle, I think it's understandable that the women don't yet take their relationship seriously. Luann needs to get over herself. Although do I think there is a chance that Sonja and Ramona are a bit jealous? Perhaps. 

100% agree.  Amen, hallelujah and all that jazz.

2 minutes ago, zoeysmom said:

When Heather, Luann, Carole, Kristen and Sonja trapped Ramona in a booth to confront her about her disrespectful behavior, Sonja made three references to Carole, as "her".  Carole interrupted twice and said, "it is Carole."  Was that Carole being all princess like in demanding (talk about losing sight of the goal) she be addressed by her first name instead of a pronoun?  No.  Carole was demanding respect from Sonja.  No comment on the protocol of trapping a co-worker in a booth and five against one. 

If Carole had also added, 'it's a respect thing, like you know with children'.....then yes.  Was Carole demanding respect from Sonja because Sonja was employed to serve her in some way, you know, like in a subordinate position?

• Love 1
(edited)
53 minutes ago, Yours Truly said:

I think this is what Lu thinks, or wants to believe, but how do we know? Because Tom says it is so? How does anyone know that. Ramona actually isn't making a "thing" out of it. She said something about it when they were in The Berkshire's, but since then her deal seems to be that he might not be what Lu thinks that he is. The article below that came out about her dating Tom hit the streets 2 months before Lu and Tom even met, and in that article it said that Ramona and Tom had been going out for a couple of months. Did Ramona plant that story in the hopes that Lu would go after him 2 months later? And who knows about Sonja? The interesting thing is that Lu didn't call Sonja a liar or tell the others it wasn't true (she only said that in her TH). To the others, she said she didn't care who he had been with before her. I can certainly see this would raise some eyebrows. I'm not sure how most folks roll, but if someone in my tight group of 6 gals started dating a guy that two of the other gals had also dated, there would be some discussion about it among us all. 

Personally, I think it is just as likely that Lu knew that Ramona had been seeing the guy (it was all over the press for folks that pay attention to Reality TV news), and that Sonja had a thing with him at one time, and that she thought it would be a good storyline. All the potential for drama! Not that this means she didn't fall in love and it isn't all real at this point. I think that the other gals suspect this to be the case as well, which is why she is being given a bit of the side-eye here. At the very least, a good looking guy with a lot of money seems intent on dating someone from this franchise. Should make Lu a but nervous, IMO. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3240662/Ramona-Singer-dating-New-York-business-Mogul-Thomas-D-Agostino-Jr-catching-estranged-husband-cheating.html

Edited by motorcitymom65
  • Love 3

When Adam first came on the scene he had just recently attended Noelle's birthday party as a guest of Nicole's.  Carole admits to going out a time or two with Nicole and her discussing her relationship with Adam.  So we really only have Adam's side of the story as Nicole asked Luann to stay out of it-according to Luann.  The two had dated, and been in a relationship.  Obviously they had continued to be in each other's company in the previous year. After Adam and Carole hooked up the two of them (Nicole and Adam) travelled out of the country together.  These are facts.  Adam was interviewed recently and said he had "respect" for Luann and liked her. 

Initially Ramona went BSC about Tom and Luann dating because she had gone out to dinner with him, in her own words ended three months before Luann and he meshed .  Ramona has said there was no chemistry, it was not a romantic relationship.  Ramona has changed her tune to she doesn't like the fact that Tom and Luann cemented their previous meeting at the Mark Hotel when both were out on a date.  So Tom does not appear to be lying about Ramona.  Sonja is now claiming over the past 10 years when she and Tom weren't otherwise engaged they secretly hooked up "all over the UES".  Tom says it was once and during Sonja's drinking days.  So Bethenny calls it dating, which is usually thought to be a polite euphemism for having sex, yet Ramona denies the sex and Sonja denies the going out and insists there was sex from time to time.  So Luann is adopting Tom's line, which seems to be in line with what Ramona is saying and as to ramona, as to  Sonja-who knows, but she also claims to have partied with John-John, all the time.  Sonja feigns happiness for Luann but as usual just likes to shit on other people's happiness and success (see Luann's clothing launch last year, Jacques) because it is so fleeting for her.  In any event, Bethenny has repeatedly said how much she despises Luann, so why does she care what Tom is doing or who he is doing?  And in the world of twitter, Bethenny and Ramona tweeted, "nobody likes Tom".  So Ramona hates Luann and Tom and apparently Bethenny hates Luann and Tom as well.  I am waiting to see exactly why Bethenny, Carole or Ramona think that it somehow okay to keep saying how much they dislike someone and at the same time chastise the same person for not spending time with them.  Is it about Bethenny being right about someone?  Maybe the better road to take is the high road and stay out of other people's business and never listen to Ramona.

all I see is LuAnn dismissing and disrespecting anything Tom had with Ramona or Sonja and giving zero fucks about anything that happened "BL

Hey. Lu can't give zero fucks because Bethenny is the only one who can do that! I think she actually believes she coined the phrase, because she has t-shirts with "Zero fucks", as well as shirts with "Get off my jock" and "I know it all".  Such a clever gal our little Bethy is (at least in her own mind).

• Love 4
(edited)

there are very simple reasons why someone would want to be addressed 'with respect' and it's usually an over inflated sense of self and a pretentious nature. 

Wow!  I, and everyone I know, show respect to others and expect to be addressed with respect in return. Expecting respect has absolutely nothing to do with "an over inflated sense of self and a pretentious nature". 

I'm done with this specific topic because one can say the same thing over and over and over again, but no one is going to change anyone else's mind no matter how many times they repeat themselves. Although I don't agree with everyone here, I do "respect' their views.

Edited by parisprincess
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, parisprincess said:

Wow!  I, and everyone I know, show respect to others and expect to be addressed with respect in return. Being respectful has absolutely nothing to do with "an over inflated sense of self and a pretentious nature". 

In this case, I believe it does, as we are talking about an adult addressing another adult by their first name.  It's not as if the driver was saying "hey bitch, get your ass in the car".  I don't believe for one second this was about being respectful, this was about hierarchy, or "the pecking order" to quote Sonja with the Sexy J. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, shoegal said:

In this case, I believe it does, as we are talking about an adult addressing another adult by their first name.  It's not as if the driver was saying "hey bitch, get your ass in the car".  I don't believe for one second this was about being respectful, this was about hierarchy, or "the pecking order" to quote Sonja with the Sexy J. 

After viewing LuAnn's special, I could see that there are legitimate codes of conduct or social hierarchies that she would have been accustomed to in her life. So I think it was unfair for Bethenny to condemn her for this and expect LuAnn to live by her young, single, party girl worldview at the time--a worldview where what LuAnn was used to would be considered overly formal and pretentious. But for Lu, it was just her usual life.

That doesn't mean B has to bow down, just not impose her standards like what she's accusing Lu of doing by just stating the request. Clearly Lu has relaxed a lot of those standards now that her lifestyle has changed.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, anonymiss said:

After viewing LuAnn's special, I could see that there are legitimate codes of conduct or social hierarchies that she would have been accustomed to in her life. So I think it was unfair for Bethenny to condemn her for this and expect LuAnn to live by her young, single, party girl worldview at the time--a worldview where what LuAnn was used to would be considered overly formal and pretentious. But for Lu, it was just her usual life.

That doesn't mean B has to bow down, just not impose her standards like what she's accusing Lu of doing by just stating the request. Clearly Lu has relaxed a lot of those standards now that her lifestyle has changed.

No, Bethenny doesn't have to bow down, the driver has to bow down because he's the lowly servant, and ya know, you gotta keep them in their place.  Even if it's one evening and you'll never see the man again, you can't just be gracious and smile and let it go.  Nope, you give 'them' an inch and they'll take a mile.  Next thing you know they'll be handing you beer in a bottle.  Tsk tsk.

• Love 5
(edited)
13 minutes ago, shoegal said:

No, Bethenny doesn't have to bow down, the driver has to bow down because he's the lowly servant, and ya know, you gotta keep them in their place.  Even if it's one evening and you'll never see the man again, you can't just be gracious and smile and let it go.  Nope, you give 'them' an inch and they'll take a mile.  Next thing you know they'll be handing you beer in a bottle.  Tsk tsk.

I think that's a bit overblown because professional drivers (of any reputable company) and anyone in hospitality or tourism should be used to calling their clients by the formal greeting of their last name (especially in the introductory stage).  So I don't think they'd take it that way at all. I've never had anyone in those industries call me by anything but my last name, whether I wanted them to or not.

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, anonymiss said:

I think that's a bit overblown because professional drivers and anyone in hospitality or tourism should be used to calling their clients by the formal greeting of their last name.  So I don't think they'd take it that way at all. I've never had anyone in those industries call me by anything but my last name, whether I wanted them to or not.

The driver never addressed LuAnn as anything, at least that we saw. Even the idea that the driver might address her as LuAnn was apparently enough to cause the Countess to recoil.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, shoegal said:

Well, considering LuAnn had been with her "soulmate" all of about FOUR FUCKING WEEKS at that point, I think the "context" is a bit irrelevant.  Carole and Adam may not be married, but they are still together a year and change later, so obviously it was and is more than just banging. 

Well, Sonja was with Tom for ten years and it was just banging. So there's that ;^)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, anonymiss said:

Time to let her hair down and put her legs up.....way up!

As you get older, your 't-shirt collection' gets larger - you know, the tees you get after being there/doing that - and you start to worry less about life and start to have a better time.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, zoeysmom said:

On a sad note.  Ramona was canned by the hair extension company for diva like behavior.  http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-beauty/news/ramona-singer-responds-to-being-fired-from-hair-extension-business-w212624  Hopefully it was in time for the Reunion so she can take those hideous things out of her hair.

I've zero doubt that Ramona did behave like a Diva, but the real reason they probably canned her is that her hair has looked like shit all season. I would imagine that anyone that would consider these extensions, upon viewing Ramona's hair, would run away in horror. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, motorcitymom65 said:

I've zero doubt that Ramona did behave like a Diva, but the real reason they probably canned her is that her hair has looked like shit all season. I would imagine that anyone that would consider these extensions, upon viewing Ramona's hair, would run away in horror. 

Ramona has tried a variety of ways to own these different companies, the two restaurants with Peter, the hair and now a skin care line (different from hers).  Bottom line is she is not investing any money and these start ups need cash.  She is just not a good marketable personality.  She made her money before as the "Closeout Queen" with zero brand loyalty but with a solid float plan, she billed buyers of the close out crap and they paid in 10 days and she paid the vendors in 30 days.  She had Mario as a back up plan and ultimately RHONYC.  She ended up with the real estate so she might just have to decide if her career on RHONY comes to end if she can afford the two luxury homes.   Other people's money is just not working for her any longer.

The hair was a joke as people in her age range 60 years old, for the most part don't want hair extensions.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Yours Truly said:

Not across the board. Some people appreciate respect. Others... well I guess not so much. It's not like Lu was rude to anyone just informed Beth about her preference. It would be different if Lu treated the driver poorly but she didn't. It was a simple conversation that she had with Beth who of course was raised by wolves so one wouldn't be surprised that she needed that little piece of schooling. Just sayin'.

Did anyone notice, a few episodes ago, how Lu treated Sonja's intern, the one whom people mistook for her daughter (even though the intern was a guy)? She made a point to ask who he was, but then kind of brushed him off to pounce on the refreshments that were waiting on the counter. 

5 hours ago, shoegal said:

Like LuAnn tried to imply that Adam and her niece were still involved even though they had broken up over a year ago?  I think Carole got some shit for believing Adam's side of the story regarding his relationship with Nicole, but LuAnn is swallowing Tom's claims (pun intended) and dismissing any counter info from Ramona or Sonja and that's peachy keen!  Because he's her soulmate!!

No not like that

Shoot, Luanne should have been happy that Bethenny didn't address her as "Countess Fuckdoll" to the driver. Sorry , I have a problem, I can't let that go. B is no better than Lu in the "respect" department. Her respect for women is below zero. That's not fair. She most likely doesn't respect ANY people.

Personally, I don't care what you call me as long as it isn't intended to offend.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, zoeysmom said:

Amen to that.  Ramona has always looked youthful for her age.  Those hair extensions dragged her down so much.  I can't imagine anyone looking at her hair and thinking "Yeah, I wanna replicate that look."  Just awful.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, sasha206 said:

I can't imagine anyone looking at her hair and thinking "Yeah, I wanna replicate that look."  Just awful.

I agree. It was on the extension company, though, to look at her and say, "Yeah, no.  Let's cut and style that mess before our product shows up on national TV."

Perhaps they did and Ramona insisted on trying to rock the bedraggled stripper look.  If so, it's no wonder they terminated her.

• Love 9
On July 10, 2016 at 0:08 PM, Feline Goddess said:

Yes that may have been how they acted back in the Victorian and Edwardian era, but Beth isn't 'to the manor born' and can't fall back on the excuse that looking down on the servants was just how she was raised. This is 2016 and being gracious and having manners towards everyone should be the rule not the exception. Besides, like I've said - she's the one who chastized the Countess for what she considered poor treatment of their driver when LuAnn wasn't even actually rude to him.

Now that she has money, Beth is giving the virtual finger to everyone - whether they deserve it or not. Her behavior towards those she deems beneath her forefeits her right to bitch about others who seem to do the same thing.

I remember Rosanne Barr's comments about being white trash with money. While Beth grew up privileged, she's now experiencing wealth at a much different level and has become a cliche in the process.  

This 

(edited)
22 hours ago, zoeysmom said:

Bethenny certainly had her moment regarding Heather's familiarity with her name.  She about blew a gasket when Heather called her Beth.  The night of the limo ride, Bethenny acted as if people in the service industry had never been required to call people by Mr. or Mrs., Luann wasn't impolite about it-just cluing Bethenny in on what she preferred. 

When Bethenny was interviewed  for the 100th show special, she went in and on about how she did not even know what a Countess was, was it like a leprechaun, or what?  Bethenny playing ignorant isn't terribly funny, I am sure she would have Googled Count deLesseps, found out his family's connection to the Suez and Panama Canals, Statue of Liberty and the fact he had won a Fulbright Humanitarian  Award in 2004.  Instead she has spent the last eight years denouncing his name, his marriage and the right of his wife to use the title.   

Regardless of whether or not the title bestowed on the deLesseps family was merely honorary, it's still official and many others have glided through high society under similar circumstances. Prince Lorenzo Borghese who was on The Bachelor is royalty because a Pope conveyed that honor on his family. The socialites in New York love to embrace minor royals and nobility, so I can see why Alex and LuAnn were feted. For many years LuAnn played the role of Countess for the sake of her husband and son who'll inherit the title. If she acted a certain way, it's because that was expected of her. I think a lot of people thought she'd never entertain the idea of relinquishing her title and would cling onto it until her dying breath.     

Edited by Feline Goddess
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Juliegirlj said:

People with real class that are well versed in manners don't resort to correcting other's faux pas- they lead by

example. 

You know that claim has been thrown about but is it actually true or was it born into existence because people would like it to be the case? I mean if no one points out errors how does one truly fix them?

I get the feeling that Lu was corrected A LOT during her time in Europe considering she wasn't exactly spun up on certain customs and courtesies so in reality in Lu's mind it's not that big a deal to make such overtures. I will concede that it can be a nuisance but I truly think Lu is accustomed to certain particulars and to go and completely relearn (dumb down) the years and years of experience that has molded her social presence seems a bit excessive. Especially when she's comfortable with what she's learned and hasn't mistreated anyone (aside from a few side eye moments, depending who you are).  I don't get why having a bit of refinement is something that's such a negative. The woman doesn't wield that shit like a classist tyrant. Now Beth and her completely on the other side of the spectum behavior is a whole other matter. I'd be sliding way more towards Lu's side than where Beth sits on that ruler. No thank you.

We live in a world now where we actually bulk at the rigidness of some old school practices and that's fine cause a lot are not necessarily relevant in this day and again however that disregard has managed to trickle down to even the most basic of respectful courtesies and that's were I take issue.  Just because a person enjoys the structure and simplicity of certain protocols doesn't mean its coming from an oppressive place.

• Love 1
(edited)
20 hours ago, Feline Goddess said:

Regardless of whether or not the title bestowed on the deLesseps family was merely honorary, it's still official and many others have glided through high society under similar circumstances. Prince Lorenzo Borghese who was on The Bachelor is royalty because a Pope conveyed that honor on his family. The socialites in New York love to embrace minor royals and nobility, so I can see why Alex and LuAnn were feted. For many years LuAnn played the role of Countess for the sake of her husband and son who'll inherit the title. If she acted a certain way, it's because that was expected of her. I think a lot of people thought she'd never entertain the idea of relinquishing her title and would cling onto it until her dying breath.     

True!

I can't wrap my head around why it was so bad for Lu to carry out her presence in the way that's expected with regards to social expectations. It's not like she made up this whole world and then implemented the ridiculous standards of etiquettes. So those learnings now spills out in her day to day. So what? Social graces are offensive? Like really. People rather have carte blanc to deliberately say nasty and rude bullshit instead of have someone try to implement some sort of respectful decorum. It's rather pathetic and I say let's have more "time and place, "tone and intent" awareness and less "truth bombs". Both scenarios can still achieve honesty but for some reason it's assumed that if correction or disagreement isn't done with vulgarness and outrageous displays then it can't possible be the truth or be honest. That's Beth's stance. It ain't truth if it ain't delivered in the most heinous of ways and invokes pain. 

Edited by Yours Truly
  • Love 4

I think she actually believes she coined the phrase, because she has t-shirts with "Zero fucks", as well as shirts with "Get off my jock" and "I know it all". 

Yeah, talk about "cheater branding". Beth is so lame. I can imagine her asking her employees what the hip, new phrases on the streets are, and just to fuck with her, they give her ones that are dated and/or on their way out.

• Love 10

FWIW- I think Luann's ex husbands $ brought more recognition than his title. Sure he used the title but he lead a pretty exciting and successful life beyond that. It reminds me of how every single person at a university or hospital tends to have their title used time and again. Almost professional courtesy.

I think the Mr/Mrs issue is another matter. And as someone who has had to interact with people who I am supposed to manage in time you learn that you often have to introduce some level of formality. I actually even introduce folks who are subordinate as Mr/Mrs/Ms to others and leave it to them to informalize the introduction if they choose. I deal with a three (out of 6) of the VPs for my workplace at least every other week and am on a first name basis. But if I introduce them to someone else is by whole name and title.

I think part of the kerfluffle is that Lu used to address her husband as 'The Count.' Beth and Alex called that out as pretentious but the real reason she did that was because the producers asked her. Her husband's name was also Alex and when they did any confessions/conversations it was confusing to have two people going by the same name.

• Love 4

LuAnn learned to be a pretentious bitch by becoming The Countess.  Now that she's The Countess, she's allowed to be a pretentious bitch because she's The Countess.  Full circle, really. 

• Love 4

Luann has never been just a countess; she became The Countess all on her own, mah friends.  She lives for that shiz.  And it became her thing, ala Asian Jewish Jules.  Pre-Count, Luann was beautiful and knew how to act the part (i.e., she's a natural snob), so she got the role right away, no need for a call-back.  And she clung to that role as long as she could (really, until it didn't pay).  Compare her with Carole, technically a princess, but never The Princess.  

• Love 5