Type keyword(s) to search

SNL Season 42: The First-Time Hosts We'd Like To See

• Start Topic

Filming on Episode VIII is wrapping up in the next few weeks, according to Rian Johnson, so Isaac should be free.

He doesn't seem to have any big movies out in the next year though, but maybe he can get a Brie Larson-style "my schedule is finally free" episode.

Bloom would be great, but would probably be too busy with Crazy Ex-Girlfriend unless they wait until that show is finished filming for the season?

I wouldn't mind seeing Gina Rodriguez hosting; she has that Wahlberg Deepwater Horizon movie to promote.

Ryan Reynolds hosting as Deadpool for the entire show.  Deadpool for the opening remarks, in various costumes/wigs for the sketches, maybe even working as a musical guest. 

Plug-Ready Project: Wolverine 3, Deadpool 2: Electric Boogaloo

Could Easily do an Unflattering yet Hilarious Impression of: Hugh Jackman, Donald Trump, Either Clinton, and Bob from Accounting.

Why He Might get Called: He's hilarious.  He'd be the first character asked to host since Pee Wee Herman.  And he's crazy as hell.

Why He Might Not:  SNL hasn't been as brave as they once were in the 80's.  They've gone PG, and fear the TV-MA rating.  Deadpool would push them into that territory.  SNL would have to grow a pair to risk having him host.

I wanted this last season when last season's Broad City came out, but I was really hoping to get dual hosting gig for Abbi Jacobson and Ilana Glazer. Maybe they could do it for the next season of Broad City; it is an Amy Poehler produced show, plus they both learned improv from Bobby Moynihan, so they have ties to SNL already. 

I'd also love to see Kristen Bell - she's got that new Mike Schur show coming out on NBC, so if it does reasonably well, they could tap her to host.  I think she'd be fantastic.  

This might be more of a long shot, but I wonder if Seth Meyers would ever return to host.  I know he dropped out of sketches for the most part by the end of his run, but he was pretty funny when he actually was in sketches (I used to love The Needlers and his Anderson Cooper impression).  

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Princess Sparkle said:

I'd also love to see Kristen Bell - she's got that new Mike Schur show coming out on NBC, so if it does reasonably well, they could tap her to host.  I think she'd be fantastic.  

Me too -- she was one of my picks for Season 40.

3 minutes ago, Princess Sparkle said:

I wanted this last season when last season's Broad City came out, but I was really hoping to get dual hosting gig for Abbi Jacobson and Ilana Glazer. Maybe they could do it for the next season of Broad City; it is an Amy Poehler produced show, plus they both learned improv from Bobby Moynihan, so they have ties to SNL already.

Along similar lines, Keegan-Michael Key and Jordan Peele narrowly missed the cut for my Season 42 list.

• Love 1

Definitely agree on Emily Blunt, Laverne Cox, Elizabeth Warren ( !!! it would be so great!), and Beyonce.

Seconded the Abbi/Ilana dual host. I mentioned that for last season as well. They're awesome, and Abbi's from the same area where I grew up, so it's kind of a local pride thing as well.

Assuming Sarah Paulson wins the Emmy for American Crime Story (which if she doesn't will be the real American crime story), she would still be coasting on that as well as ready to plug the next season of American Horror Story. I bet she'd be awesome.

I still want one of the main cast members from Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. I think any of the four of them would do an awesome job.

• Love 1

As much as I heart Ryan Reynolds and Deadpool, I don't want to see him do that character for 90 minutes on this show because it would quickly become a running gag and an unfunny one, at that, plus I still want Michael Fassbender and Idris Elba to host.

4 hours ago, vb68 said:

It's probably never going to happen, but Meryl please.

The Devil Wears Prada is on TV right now and I absolutely agree. She would KILL it. And you know the writers would be forced to bring their A-material that week.

• Love 1

Gina Rodriguez all day. Ben Schwartz. Abbi and Ilana. Ellie Kemper. Rachel Bloom. Nick Kroll. Mindy Kaling. Adam Scott. 

I will ask for them every year. I don't care if they have anything to promote. Gina and Ben are a rumored couple too. 

• Love 1

A big yes to Rachel Bloom. You would figure what she does would be a natural fit for SNL, since she's already well-versed in making funny music videos and she would probably fit in very well with the other female cast members on the show. Plus she just won a Golden Globe for Best Comedic Actress. 

By the same logic, Jon Hamm should host again sometime next season, especially since he will have a movie to promote in October ("Keeping Up with the Joneses" with Zach Galifianakis). 

I had a thought after the Tonys - knowing that Lin Manuel Miranda is ending his Hamilton run this summer, could they possibly tap him for a host?  I know they usually don't go for people who are strictly Broadway actors, but with the cultural phenomenon that Hamilton has been, it wouldn't surprise me if they try and get him on the show now that he'll be free. 

• Love 2

Lin-Manuel Miranda's not just a Broadway actor; he's done Spanish-language films and has had guest roles in American TV shows like House & How I Met Your Mother,   plus he's starring in the Mary Poppins sequel with Emily Blunt. However, if he's got the time, I agree that he should host. 

Given his comedic chops in The Wolf Of Wall Street and his cameo with Jonah Hill when he hosted, I think that Leonardo DiCaprio should host.

12 hours ago, Princess Sparkle said:

I had a thought after the Tonys - knowing that Lin Manuel Miranda is ending his Hamilton run this summer, could they possibly tap him for a host?  I know they usually don't go for people who are strictly Broadway actors, but with the cultural phenomenon that Hamilton has been, it wouldn't surprise me if they try and get him on the show now that he'll be free. 

Hi.

On June 10, 2016 at 3:02 AM, PreviouslyTV said:

New celebrities come along every year. Which ones should graduate to sketch comedy stars when Saturday Night Live returns in the fall?

View the full article

Kristen Bell is as overdue for a guest appearance on Saturday Night Live as a library book

She's been doing lots of tv shows and movies since she was the star of Veronica Mars, and she has a new tv show coming soon this Fall called " The Good Place".

I hear she's been knocking on Lorne Michaels' door for a couple of years wanting an opportunity to host SNL, and who knows? Maybe, she'll finally kick it down and have her one shining moment on SNL.

I would love for her to do a Veronica Mars sketch when she hosts, and play a bunch of funny characters, too.

I have had my heart set on Kristen Bell as a guest host on Saturday Night Live, and my heart is telling "This could finally be her year to host SNL!"

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/14/2016 at 10:42 AM, BoogieBurns said:

Gina Rodriguez all day. Ben Schwartz. Abbi and Ilana. Ellie Kemper. Rachel Bloom. Nick Kroll. Mindy Kaling. Adam Scott. 

I will ask for them every year. I don't care if they have anything to promote. Gina and Ben are a rumored couple too. 

YES to Adam Scott (been hoping for this one for a while), Mindy Kaling, Ellie Kemper, Gina Rodriquez, and Ben Schwartz. Also had no idea that Gina and Ben were a rumoured couple. I love that...and to everyone saying Kristen Bell, yes squared. To the power of yes. 

I also adore Nick Kroll, but not sure his profile is big enough to host SNL. In the same vein, it would be cool to see someone like Scott Aukerman or Matt Besser host. But not sure if they're big enough names.

I know this is probably a long shot, because he's on another network, but I think James Corden would an incredible host. He is hilarious and charming, and he can sing and act. It could happen - he was on Seth Meyers' show a couple of weeks ago. Make it so, SNL!!

Also, I want Jason Sudeikis to come and host real bad. Also, Aziz Ansari. And Brad Paisley. Hey, they had Blake Shelton last season, and Brad Paisley is a fellow hilarious country singer. Maybe Nick Jonas? He was pretty good in the couple of sketches he was in on his episode this season. And he was funny on Maya & Marty, Scream Queens, and even on that Jonas show that he and his brothers were on (which yes, I watched, despite being a lot older than what I'm sure their intended target audience was)/

Edited by AdorkableSars
  • Love 1

On the now-kaput SNL fansite from whence I came, we did an annual "Guess the Hosts & MGs" contest.  Contestants submitted a list of 30 potential hosts and musical guests before the first ep of the season.  Any player who was the only person to correctly guess a particular host or MG got two points for it.  Otherwise any correct guess was worth a point. 

After seeing him in Trainwreck, I think that John Cena would make a great host. With the right material, I think that Cena could give Dwayne Johnson, aka "The Rock," a run for his money. 

• Love 2

Now that I'm seeing Suicide Squad promos, I'm thinking - could we finally see Will Smith as a host?  Shockingly, he has never hosted the show before.  Unfortunately, I feel like it's probably more likely we'd see Margot Robbie if anyone from Suicide Squad was going to host, but I'd love to see Will Smith.  Espeically if they can do a sketch where Jay Pharoah does his Will Smith impression.

1 hour ago, helenamonster said:

It would probably be impossible with her schedule, but I'd love to see Samantha Bee.

Couldn't agree more.  It's people like Bee (and Oliver, while we're at it) who made WU a laughing stock under the Seth Myers era.  With Colin and Michael it's regained some of its bite. 

I'd love to see Jason Mitchell. He'll be promoting Kong: Skull Island and has just a tonne of charisma. As does John Cena who could be fantastic. I said it last year, but I think we're overdue for a sports host. I'd wager on Steph Curry or Russell Wilson.

Anthony Mackie, who is always a riot on talk shows will likely have something to promote. I love the idea of Kristen Bell. Surely there's a Taylor Swift host and perform planned if they can make it happen.

After watching The Bronze, I'd love to see Melissa Rauch, who has a background in Stand-up Comedy take a stab at it, but I don't think she's a big enough star.

19 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

I'd love to see Jason Mitchell. He'll be promoting Kong: Skull Island and has just a tonne of charisma. As does John Cena who could be fantastic. I said it last year, but I think we're overdue for a sports host. I'd wager on Steph Curry or Russell Wilson.

Anthony Mackie, who is always a riot on talk shows will likely have something to promote. I love the idea of Kristen Bell. Surely there's a Taylor Swift host and perform planned if they can make it happen.

After watching The Bronze, I'd love to see Melissa Rauch, who has a background in Stand-up Comedy take a stab at it, but I don't think she's a big enough star.

Well, we did have a sports host last year in Ronda Rousey, but I agree that John Cena would be great.

And I can't get behind another Taylor Swift hosting gig. She was already pushing my last nerve at the time when she first hosted (for the record, I've been annoyed by her since literally 2007), but after this most recent Kimye debacle, I think we as a society need to finally be done with her perpetual self-victimization.

• Love 1
(edited)

After seeing the Director's Cut of Straight Outta Compton, IMO getting Ice Cube to host is long overdue-and if his son O'Shea Jackson is in a sketch or two,  especially a SOC parody, even better. 

Edited by DollEyes

Tatiana Maslany.  True, a lot of people probably still don't know who she is...even after she finally nabbed her much deserved and long overdue Emmy.  She is, to state the obvious, a great actress.  She has extensive experience in improv.  She's displayed -- on Orphan Black alone -- that she can portray a diverse array of characters.  Plus she's shown (time and time again) in the dramatic context of OB that she has serious comedic chops (with her Alison, Helena and Krystal iterations especially).

• Love 2

Oh, Anthony Anderson would be a great choice, vb68.

I don't think Chris Pine has ever hosted, has he? He actually has a good sense of comic timing in those Star Trek movies (from what little he gets to display it).  Plus, he's got Wonder Woman coming out this year, so he's having a moment.  And there's a clip of him on Kimmel where he sings "Fly Me to the Moon" and sounds uncannily like Sinatra, and so I bet he's got some impressions in him, or at the very least, a lovely singing voice.

Since the Golden Globes are next weekend, I'd love to see someone who wins (or even just someone who was nominated) be the host on the 21st. Julia Louis-Dreyfus did last season for "Veep". Anthony Anderson would be a good choice, so would Bob Odenkirk for "Better Call Saul" or Rachel Bloom for "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend".

Donald Glover could actually be a combo host/MG if he were to win for his show "Atlanta".

Edited by Phishbulb
2 hours ago, Phishbulb said:

<snip>

Donald Glover could actually be a combo host/MG if he were to win for his show "Atlanta".

Donald Glover could actually be an awesome combo host/MG if he were to win for his show "Atlanta".  There, ftfy.

Edited by fastiller
  • Love 1