Type keyword(s) to search

Dear CBS: Please Reboot These 1991 Sitcoms

Agree about Murphy Brown.  But to further add to it, instead of a reboot of Murphy, it should be a continuation with her son Avery who continues the torch on a newscast.

A female handygal would take over the Eldin character as someone quirky in the home.  With lots of fun in the office in regards to the revolving door of interns for personal assistant and quirky additions to the newscast.  With the way things are going in regards to politics and news media in general this would really work.

• Love 4

I created an account just to let you know I am HERE for that Designing Women remake. You had me at Aisha Tyler and Constance Marie, but the rest is genius, too. Subscribe me to the newsletter, shut up and take my money, whatever it takes, let's get this done.

• Love 4

An in-continuity Designing Women reboot, especially if it invoked Julia's memory (let alone the Marjories)?  Plus Aisha Tyler?  I'd be all over that.  The catch is that Sugarbaker's was ultimately owned by four people, IIRC: Julia, Mary Jo, Suzanne (later Allison, and later B.J. Poteet), and finally Anthony.  You'd need to sort that out somehow.

6 hours ago, greekmom said:

Agree about Murphy Brown.  But to further add to it, instead of a reboot of Murphy, it should be a continuation with her son Avery who continues the torch on a newscast.

...I'm oddly not averse to this, if just for the mental image of Haley Joel Osment hosting a YouTube podcast called FYI.  That might skew a little close to The Newsroom, though, so a full-on reboot might actually be a better (and more acidic?) idea.

• Love 1

Reboots can be tricky. Make it too much like the original, and you may as well just watch the original. Deviate too much, and it's just a completely different show but with the older shows name tacked on for marketing purposes.

I do like the Murphy Brown and Designing Women ideas, they do seem to capture the essence of the original while not making it a carbon copy of the original. The only thing I would add would be to maybe have Murphy Brown still set in DC?

Can you send "KonMari-like organizer Christopher" (and Keegan-Michael Key, yes please) my way? As a Gen X contemporary of Winona/Murphy, now that you mention it, I also have SO MANY chunky black shoes. Flats, heels, wedges, clogs, oxfords, Docs, sandals, pumps, boots. Matte, nubuck, patent leather, fabric...

Is that a problem?

Please no. I hated these shows but assuming there are people that think fondly of them, I think they were really a product of the 1990s and would not work today.  I wouldn't have a problem with a sequel with Avery Brown.  But he would have to be like an internet reporter. Someone like Murphy Brown does not exist today.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BooBear said:

Please no. I hated these shows but assuming there are people that think fondly of them, I think they were really a product of the 1990s and would not work today.  I wouldn't have a problem with a sequel with Avery Brown.  But he would have to be like an internet reporter. Someone like Murphy Brown does not exist today.

Newsmagazines still exist, as do network news broadcasts, and cable news networks. 

Actually that last would seem to be a possible route. You have figures like Meagan Kelly and Rachel Maddow as modern templates for a Murphy Brown-like character in modern TV.  It would be less of a collaborative magazine show ala 60 Minutes though, because that's what has less power now. But News Pundits exist aplenty, although that approach to news is a bit at odds with Original Recipe Murphy Brown, who I think was posed as worshipping at the altar of objectivity.

"Internet Reporters" mostly only exist for Entertainment News, although they are now the dominant force for that.

• Love 1

designing women is my jam, I watch the old episodes on youtube. This show was so ahead of it's time and basically done by a woman.

• Love 3

I like the ideas but for me Candice is the only one who could play Murphy Brown. Oh God, i just had the coolest vision of Murphy coming out of retirement and her first interview is with Donald Trump. He wouldn't last a full minute before she'd either bitch him out or knock his light out......

• Love 10
On ‎2016‎-‎06‎-‎01 at 8:55 AM, Kromm said:

Newsmagazines still exist, as do network news broadcasts, and cable news networks. 

Actually that last would seem to be a possible route. You have figures like Meagan Kelly and Rachel Maddow as modern templates for a Murphy Brown-like character in modern TV.  It would be less of a collaborative magazine show ala 60 Minutes though, because that's what has less power now. But News Pundits exist aplenty, although that approach to news is a bit at odds with Original Recipe Murphy Brown, who I think was posed as worshipping at the altar of objectivity.

"Internet Reporters" mostly only exist for Entertainment News, although they are now the dominant force for that.

I dunno. A show starring a "Murphy Brown" type would probably work well in an expy of, say, The Huffington Post or The Young Turks.

• Love 2
On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 5:11 PM, akamarykate said:

I created an account just to let you know I am HERE for that Designing Women remake. You had me at Aisha Tyler and Constance Marie, but the rest is genius, too. Subscribe me to the newsletter, shut up and take my money, whatever it takes, let's get this done.

Dear God in heaven, I'm right next to you. Let's do this!

And I like the Murphy Brown idea a lot. I loved that show.

Never watched Evening Shade, but the suggested reboot sounds so much like a CBS show I'm amazed it hasn't already been done, lol.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, The Crazed Spruce said:

I dunno. A show starring a "Murphy Brown" type would probably work well in an expy of, say, The Huffington Post or The Young Turks.

It'd actually be an interesting juxtaposition the show could address: an FYI-style "classic" newsmagazine show versus a TYT-style "editorial" newsmagazine show.

On 6/1/2016 at 7:59 PM, madhacker said:

I like the ideas but for me Candice is the only one who could play Murphy Brown. Oh God, i just had the coolest vision of Murphy coming out of retirement and her first interview is with Donald Trump. He wouldn't last a full minute before she'd either bitch him out or knock his light out......

...I didn't know I wanted this so damn much until now.

• Love 6

I think a show called "Avery Brown" could work. Candice would be the supporting player, always being the know it all. Avery having a gig at a Huff Po kind of thing. The other characters could show up (obviously not Pat Corley or Robert Pastorelli) periodically to tie both shows in. But you'd need a strong actor to play opposite Candice. Find that guy and it could work

• Love 1

I think a show called "Avery Brown" could work. Candice would be the supporting player, always being the know it all. Avery having a gig at a Huff Po kind of thing. The other characters could show up (obviously not Pat Corley or Robert Pastorelli) periodically to tie both shows in. But you'd need a strong actor to play opposite Candice. Find that guy and it could work

What, you don't think that Haley Joel Osment can stand up to her!!

Loved Murphy Brown, but could do without the other two which would end up being characatures. Murphy could be great but the key, as always is not the setting, but the writing and the characters. They really had a great ensemble, especially Elden (altho, let's face it, a little went a long way). Some of his lines still crack me up. That ensemble and their appropriate use of guest stars reminds me of The Big Bang Theory which also figured out a little of the parental characters was more than enough.

• Love 2
On 1/25/2018 at 3:36 PM, ButterQueen said:

I'm so excited.  I love the rebooted Will & Grace, have my DVR set for Roseanne, and now this.  I am sick of reality television.  I miss good sitcoms.

Word. I love the rebooted Will and Grace. Looking forward to the new eps of Murphy Brown. Definitely on both counts.

• Love 2

FYI (no pun intended), the channel "Antenna TV" is playing Murphy Brown every day (evenings during the week, mid-afternoons on weekends). The weeknight eps are currently on Season 2, and the weekend eps are Season 1. The Season 2 eps feel like hidden treasure since they haven't been released on DVD!

• Love 2

I get Antenna (most people do... it's a basic channel; if you look around for it you might find it), and am upset that they moved the weekday reruns from 10 pm (perfect to watch right before I go to bed) to 11 (already asleep).