Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Part 16

Kevin's first transaction goes smoothly; his second is a disaster. John hunts for Eric in order to force Lowry to propose a plea deal to the police.

Kevin's list of people that know it was him selling the drugs was hilarious.

Meg should have ran for the plane and got out of town.

I don't get with all the drama around his family and all they have to hide that he'd run for sheriff. 

• LOL 1

I think it's two things:  one, he needs something good to focus on and two, sheer hubris that he still thinks he can control all this.  And maybe how it would look if he didn't run? 

I just need him to realize he's going to have to kill Kevin too....

• Love 9

I think it's pure optimism on the part of John, Kevin, and Meg that they can keep Danny's death under wraps going forward, and possibly lead a normal life after everything has died down.  They don't realize that things can and often do, just get more complicated.  The whole "...tangled web..." thing.

Kevin isn't thinking straight; he's a desperate man trying to fix all of his problems with a quick fix, the drug deal.

• Love 3

Oh, Kevin is so going to fuck things up now, unless they can stop him before it is too late.  He really is the biggest screw-up on the planet.  Then again, maybe John really should have actually kept them updated and informed them that he got Wayne to break and take a plea.  Come on, John!

I know I'm suppose to feel for Sally, but I was annoyed over how she kept blowing over all of Diana's correct points over how bad Danny had become.  I'm not saying John was right to do what he did, but Danny really did threaten John, Diana, and the family; both subtly and not so subtly; and Sally is already in the process of turning him into a saint.

John Leguizamo as Danny's old criminal buddy!  I'm sure your going to really to stir shit up and the Rayburn's lives even more of a misery!

I'm guessing that woman Nolan met at the end is his mom?

Have a feeling O'Bannon isn't out of the woods yet.  Cool seeing Chloe again.

• Love 2

The woman was also the clerk in the store that Danny and John L's character robbed.  The way Danny looked at her at the end of the robbery I knew that she was probably involved somehow.  So she is Nolan's mom.

• Love 8

I know I'm suppose to feel for Sally, but I was annoyed over how she kept blowing over all of Diana's correct points over how bad Danny had become.  I'm not saying John was right to do what he did, but Danny really did threaten John, Diana, and the family; both subtly and not so subtly; and Sally is already in the process of turning him into a saint.

That's all true, but whatever Danny's long list of flaws were, the bottom line is he was Sally's son and no matter how fucked up your kid is, I don't think you ever get over that loss. It may be worse for Sally because she knows that Danny was toast as soon as Sarah died. Diana is right - he was a grown man, making grown man choices, and as much as I disliked Ma and Pa Rayburn (and I think they really did a number on their kids in a variety of ways), in the end, as an adult, you know right from wrong and make your choices. But I did get Sally's point and understand where she's coming from, to some extent.

Boy, those Rayburns are not the sharpest tools in the shed, are they? Meg sat in a depressing, dusty hotel room with Kevin all day. She missed her flight. Did it never occur to her to call her boss and let her know she'd been detained? What the hell? And when I see Kevin, all I see is stupid, miserable loser. OF COURSE he bolts to go after Lowery, which makes perfect sense because everything he's done so far has worked out so well. (Although I haven't seen episode 4, so it's possible he's going to go try to salvage his relationship with his wife). And John couldn't take two minutes to call his siblings in the depressing, dusty hotel room to tell him he got it squared away. If they don't get found out then I fear for the citizens of Key West or wherever they're based.

Nolan is intriguing to me. I think that little hitchhiking prank was a great touch and it made me feel like that has been the story of his young life - he's probably had the rug yanked out from under him a fair amount. And I want to know what he put in Chloe Sevigny's mailbox. Is that how she knew where her brother was? Anyway, I'm interested in his story.

• Love 6

That flashback is something season 1 could have used a lot more of. It really suffered from tell don't show as we kept hearing about what a bad person Danny was in the past, but all we actually got to see was him as a victim. The robbery makes it far more clear where the family was coming from.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Eegah said:

That flashback is something season 1 could have used a lot more of. It really suffered from tell don't show as we kept hearing about what a bad person Danny was in the past, but all we actually got to see was him as a victim. The robbery makes it far more clear where the family was coming from.

I think that was intentional. In season 1 we didn't really know if Danny was bad or not until late in the season. Remember in the early episodes we kinda sided with Danny and were wondering why the hell this terrible family was treating him so badly. They kept us in the dark intentionally.

Edited by knaankos
  • Love 7

Kevin really is just the worst person to get into a criminal conspiracy with. I give him two more episodes before he cracks under pressure. 

I know how people have mentioned this before, but I love the hot, sweaty setting of this show. It just adds to the constant tension and pressure. 

I pretty much plowed through season 1 of this, and shot through the first three episodes. Bring on the rest!

• Love 4
On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 11:46 PM, thuganomics85 said:

I don't feel sorry for Sally, I feel sorry for anyone that has to deal with her.

• Fire 1
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, Adusk81 said:

The idiocy that is Kevin almost ruins this show for me. He needs to be sedated and locked away. It's maddening watching him be the mess that he is. 

He really is the worst.  He's almost just as messed up as Danny - with NONE of the charm and charisma. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Duke2801 said:

He really is the worst.  He's almost just as messed up as Danny - with NONE of the charm and charisma. 

Difference is Kevin means well overall. Danny never really meant well he was deeply hateful and resentful. Kevin just is weak

• Love 7

I can't remember from the first season if we saw Kevin before he began using drugs and swilling beer. I believe I remember he was an addict, but perhaps in recovery? Maybe I'm imagining all of that.

But I wonder what Kevin would be like clean and sober- from alcohol and drugs. He does seem to love his family, his boats, etc. But his earlier marina dream spoke of cocaine -fueled ego without any substance. So would he have successful ideas? Is he just the fuck-up baby brother?

I don't know, but I'm assuming his infuriating behavior is shown to be linked to his drug use, thus his quick fix plans and increased desperation. The duel pressure of true fear of getting caught and coccaine induced paranoia plus true grief.

But Sally and Robert- they are the ones who infuriate me. Yes, as an adult, accept responsibility, but they all really still live under one roof- or one control. Sally.

• Love 2
(edited)
On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 0:46 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Oh, Kevin is so going to fuck things up now, unless they can stop him before it is too late.  He really is the biggest screw-up on the planet.  Then again, maybe John really should have actually kept them updated and informed them that he got Wayne to break and take a plea.  Come on, John!

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 4:16 PM, Maysie said:

And John couldn't take two minutes to call his siblings in the depressing, dusty hotel room to tell him he got it squared away. If they don't get found out then I fear for the citizens of Key West or wherever they're based.

John's character last season seemed the sharpest of the lot, but now he really is as dim a bulb as the rest. (And am I imagining or did the actor get fatter with each episode?) And I hate the way he does the accent: talks in a normal way, but every once in a while throws in an "ah've" or "ah'm" or an "ah" instead of "I" elsewhere too ... once in a while, as sort of a shortcut for a full blown accent. Every "ah'm" I hear annoys the Hell out of me. On top of that he's chosen an acting style that is basically either stoic to full blown catatonic. And he just doesn't believe in effective communication - just likes to leave everything a mystery to anyone he talks to. All in all I find John the most annoying of these characters. His wife Diana is probably my favorite. Loved how she took on Sally.

Edited by riverclown
5 hours ago, knaankos said:

It is very annoying that John tells nobody any details. It's always just "I'll take care of it" "don't worry". 

I would be afraid to tell Kevin anything. He's a loose cannon. Scary

• Love 1
On Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 3:16 PM, Maysie said:

Boy, those Rayburns are not the sharpest tools in the shed, are they? Meg sat in a depressing, dusty hotel room with Kevin all day. She missed her flight. Did it never occur to her to call her boss and let her know she'd been detained? What the hell? And when I see Kevin, all I see is stupid, miserable loser. OF COURSE he bolts to go after Lowery, which makes perfect sense because everything he's done so far has worked out so well. (Although I haven't seen episode 4, so it's possible he's going to go try to salvage his relationship with his wife). And John couldn't take two minutes to call his siblings in the depressing, dusty hotel room to tell him he got it squared away. If they don't get found out then I fear for the citizens of Key West or wherever they're based.

This is the kind of thing keeps Bloodline from being a great viewing experience for me.  Too much plot propelled by people doing/not doing simple normal things.

• Love 1

I LOVED the choice of song over the end credits, screaming "I'm a liar, liar liar!!!" Anyone know what that song is? 

The perfect bookend to John convincing his mother he was actually doing a *good* thing by moving the drugs to Danny's apartment. 

I think all their reactions are pretty realistic. John, Meg and Kevin aren't exactly hardened criminals, so they're shocked, terrified, grieving, in denial and cover up mode.

Kevin was already a partier, but is it any wonder that guilt and money troubles would make him even more desperate? 

Whether or not Diana's points were valid, it's awful to say those things to a mother whose child has just been murdered. Sally is grieving, has a lot of guilt, and at the end of the day mothers love their children regardless. 

JBC344 - Thank you for noticing the woman in the pharmacy as Nolan's mom! I only caught it on second viewing. Glad to hear it was right on. 

Lastly... I don't think I'll ever look at lollipops the same way after seeing John Leguizamo have his way with one, lol. 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, missy jo said:

Whether or not Diana's points were valid, it's awful to say those things to a mother whose child has just been murdered. Sally is grieving, has a lot of guilt, and at the end of the day mothers love their children regardless.  

True, but I was cheering for Diana nonetheless. She told Sally that Danny threatened her grandchildren and Sally brushed it off and said, "Oh, I know that's what John thinks happened,"  as if John exaggerated the whole thing and blew it out of proportion. That's when Diana stopped sugarcoating and trying to be kind and sensitive, and gave Sally the harsh truth, which she needed to hear. She's convinced herself that Danny was a victim, and he wasn't. He was a criminal.

• Love 7
(edited)
On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 9:46 PM, thuganomics85 said:

I don't like Sally much, well at all really, but she's carrying a huge burden of guilt. She's the one whose choices set up the series of events that led to her daughter's death - she actively participated in the cover-ups regarding the beatings he got from his father as a result of them.  So making him a saint, or refusing to listen to Diana's valid points - keeps her safely in deep denial. Because to accept that Danny was a seriously dangerous person would be to face her failures as a parent.

She's more interested in finding out why her living kids are lying and disappointing her than in accepting any measure of responsibility.

Kevin is driving me crazy, he's such an idiot. I tend to believe he was an idiot before the drugs - IIRC, his wife left him because he was a ragey child. I think he gets the rage from his father - none of the other siblings seem to have it - except John when he was pushed to the limit and ended up killing Danny.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 5
On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 10:27 PM, JBC344 said:

The woman was also the clerk in the store that Danny and John L's character robbed.  The way Danny looked at her at the end of the robbery I knew that she was probably involved somehow.  So she is Nolan's mom.

Well, that makes me feel dumb. Of course she was in on it. I just took it as their "meet cute-ish" story.

• Love 2

Regarding John's (Kyle Chandler's) accent: He seems to have a sort-of drawl in every role I've seen him in. I thought maybe he cultivated it for Friday Night Lights, but maybe he is actually a Southerner? The thing is, it sticks out because nobody else in the family has an accent. Well, Sally does a bit.

Regarding Kevin, I feel like the actor is doing a great job of playing a drug user. Jumpy, implusive - his behavior seems right on. Of course, there may be other issues inherited or developed because of the screwed-up family dynamics. Kevin does dumb things that make you throw up your hands, but he seems more excusable than Meg. I mean I don't like the character Kevin very much, but he seems to make sense in the context of the show.

On July 14, 2016 at 0:13 PM, peggy06 said:

Regarding John's (Kyle Chandler's) accent: He seems to have a sort-of drawl in every role I've seen him in. I thought maybe he cultivated it for Friday Night Lights, but maybe he is actually a Southerner? The thing is, it sticks out because nobody else in the family has an accent. Well, Sally does a bit.

Regarding Kevin, I feel like the actor is doing a great job of playing a drug user. Jumpy, implusive - his behavior seems right on. Of course, there may be other issues inherited or developed because of the screwed-up family dynamics. Kevin does dumb things that make you throw up your hands, but he seems more excusable than Meg. I mean I don't like the character Kevin very much, but he seems to make sense in the context of the show.

While Kyle Chandler was born in New York he grew up in a small town in Georgia. So I think his accent is genuine. He spoke the same way in Friday Night Lights (only my favourite TV show ever).

On July 14, 2016 at 0:13 PM, peggy06 said:

• Love 2
On 5/30/2016 at 11:46 PM, thuganomics85 said:

On 6/17/2016 at 11:43 PM, Queasy-bo said:

True, but I was cheering for Diana nonetheless. She told Sally that Danny threatened her grandchildren and Sally brushed it off and said, "Oh, I know that's what John thinks happened,"  as if John exaggerated the whole thing and blew it out of proportion. That's when Diana stopped sugarcoating and trying to be kind and sensitive, and gave Sally the harsh truth, which she needed to hear. She's convinced herself that Danny was a victim, and he wasn't. He was a criminal.

I hated when Sally said that, but so typical of her.  

I liked this episode a lot, and I think we can retire what I keep reading on other sites that nothing happens in this show - plenty happened.  The only wrong note I felt was that Meg didn't call her employer in NY to say she wouldn't be returning quite yet. And she says "I meant to call you"?  She's been doing nothing in a hotel room all day, and she and Kevin even discussed her job.  Her not calling seemed to be only a plot device to allow Kevin to get away; it wasn't what a rational person would do.

• Love 2

Also, did anyone catch that Nolan said to the private detective, "you found me in a shelter".  I can't imagine that was a throwaway line, so the detective must have something to do with Nolan showing up when he did, and he must have known Danny had a son.

• Love 2
On 7/14/2016 at 11:13 AM, peggy06 said:

Its Diane's accent that is distracting. She keeps losing her american accent and pronouncing words with an Australian accent. 

• Love 2