Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Part 14

So I've only watched episode one and this is speculation but IS NOLAN THEIR BROTHER???  

Everybody but John is falling apart; he's running for sheriff!  What hubris.  I fear Meg is not long for New York and I can't believe Kevin kept some of Lowry's cocaine.  That's where he got it from, right?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, KaleyFirefly said:

Kevin is a loose cannon (and an idiot) and is going to bring them all down.

I know, right?  I guess someone has to fill the void that Danny leaves.  Didn't they all inherit when their dad died?  Couldn't Kevin ask Meg and John to buy his part of the inn so he could use the money for his business?  I feel sorry for his pregnant wife but I guess she was a dupe to go back to him.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

So I've only watched episode one and this is speculation but IS NOLAN THEIR BROTHER???  

Everybody but John is falling apart; he's running for sheriff!  What hubris.  I fear Meg is not long for New York and I can't believe Kevin kept some of Lowry's cocaine.  That's where he got it from, right?

That would be a great plot twist.  My only issue I can't see Danny not using that information to throw it in Robert's face.  But wouldn't mind if he is their brother.  I was thinking that maybe Robert had been keeping tabs on Danny and found out about his pregnant girlfriend and was paying her off to stay away from the rest of the family. 

• Love 2

Very happy this show is back.  We still get Danny in flashbacks.  He really was the star of the first season.

Danny may be gone but still haunting all of them.  But now they have screw up Kevin to deal with.  He is the weak link to their secret.

• Love 4

So, after just killing Danny and almost every agency still sniffing around (not to mention Marco going after suspects who aren't Wayne), John decides this is the best time to run for sheriff, even though that's just asking for even more scrutiny?  Oh, boy.  That is totally an idiotic decision based out of arrogance, and I so think will come back to haunt him.  Not to mention Wayne having that tape.  Hope we see more interaction between Kyle Chandler and Glenn Morshower going forward, since I'm all for the min Friday Night Lights reunion.

I will be stunned if the Rayburn kids managed to keep this under wraps, considering how drink happy Megan is and Kevin already about to crack.  All it would take is someone to get suspicious and get him in an interrogation room.  He would break after an hour.

Nolan/Danny's son is working with O'Bannon?

I guess they'll use flashbacks, tape recorders, etc. in order to keep Danny around post-death.  Not surprised, because the cast is pretty great all around, but Ben Mendelsohn is just spectacular to watch.

Glad the show is back.

• Love 7

Ben Mendelsohn is just spectacular to watch.

I agree.  He should have won the Emmy for season 1 and I hope he's nominated again for season 2, as a supporting actor.  This series has a great cast. 

• Love 2

Oh my gosh, I want to like these people because I feel sorry for their screwed up lives, but when you've murdered your brother and covered it up you need to freaking stop drinking and doing drugs! You need to stay stone cold sober. No exceptions. I feel like in real life I would just slap every last one of them. 

They're driving me crazy and I'm tense just watching the first episode. 

And in closing.....I'm so happy this show is back and I worship Norbert Leo Butz!

• Love 7
On 5/29/2016 at 3:13 PM, tomsmom said:

Every time I see that guy working with Lowry all I think of is Seinfeld...,

"Who? Who doesn't want to wear the ribbon?!!"

I keep thinking back fondly on the Seinfeld eo where he played a gay bully armoire thief and had Kramer totally frozen with fear.

• Love 5
(edited)

At one point I was thinking, John is going to make sure Kevin goes the way of Danny. What a mess. (But also ... probably the most appropriate response for conspiring to kill and cover up your brother's murder.)

Is his plan to sell the drugs to dig himself out of debt? Or just slowly (or not so slowly) sniff it away? 

I want more of John's wife. Jacinda Barrett is very appealing. Mama Rayburn, not so much. My dislike for her lets me forget that her kids did a very terrible thing.

Edited by lovinbob
spelling
  • Love 1

I agree about Jacinda, please give her much more to do.  As much as I love Sissy Spacek, Sally Rayburn is probably my least favorite character which is surprising because I usually find the matriarchs' of shows like this to be the most fascinating.  I find her character way more infuriating than her murderous children.

• Love 7

I have to say, John deciding to run for sheriff was kind of a "what the hell is this??!!" moment for me. I can't quite figure out why he wants to it right now. I know it's only sheriff, but it's still a political campaign and the current sheriff made it clear that he was not going to go out without a fight. Even in the best of personal times, that would seem a bit stressful. But then add in the recent deaths of two immediate family members, including one of whom he murdered, and his recent cardiac event/scare . . . running for political office doesn't seem like the best idea. So is it pride? Is he believing his own press, meaning the rest of his family who likes to talk about how rock solid he is?

And Meg getting shit-faced at her work meeting was really a rookie mistake. Is she sleeping at the office because she drinks herself into oblivion at night while she works or because she's just a hard workin' girl who's trying to get ahead? Is she drinking and working to excess to forget her role in Danny's death? I half expected her to take one or both of the potential clients home with her - it just had that vibe about it.

• Love 6
(edited)
On 5/29/2016 at 3:13 PM, tomsmom said:

Every time I see that guy working with Lowry all I think of is Seinfeld...,

"Who? Who doesn't want to wear the ribbon?!!"

Those very words left my mouth as I watched, lol.    I wonder how many roles it has cost him.

The actor playing Nolan, Danny's son, bears an uncanny resemblance to Ben Mendelson.   He truly could be his son.

I guess Sissy Spacek is another one of those fictional mothers who always seems to have a bug up her ass when it comes to her kids.    Something about her character reminds me of Ruth Fisher from Six Feet Under.   It always seems unrealistic to me that the children would continue to care about the needs/wants/concerns of someone who is constantly bitchy and demanding.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 8
On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 0:23 AM, JBC344 said:

Sally Rayburn is probably my least favorite character which is surprising because I usually find the matriarchs' of shows like this to be the most fascinating.  I find her character way more infuriating than her murderous children.

I don't like her at all. She really isn't a good mother.

• Love 2

Every moment of this episode was filled with portent. Just ominous, dangerous, can't-breathe suspense. I think even if someone had turned on a water faucet I would have been fearful of what would happen.

Love this show- why am I so stressed just watching the opening episode???

• Love 4

Retyping my Season 1 post here (can't quote from different topic), so I can compare and contrast:

QUOTE: "Rewatched the 1st season to prepare for the 2nd. No nitpicks here, I was a fan from the start. 

The Florida Keys are their own character, depicted true to life in meticulous detail. From the picture perfect veneer that draws the tourists to the seediness lurking below. The environment outside the resorts isn't quite as enticing.

They don't dress up the actors with fake Hollywood glamour. Everyone's sweaty, with weathered skin and wilted hair, and a bottle of liquor close at hand.

I had a lot of sympathy for Danny at first, as the ostracized black sheep. Especially when they revealed the unfair way he was treated after the accident. I saw his breaking point, preceded by obsessively listening to the old police tapes, his heart broken when his father wanted to pay him off to leave, and finally he snapped. Tragedy was inevitable from there.

All the acting is fantastic, and I 'got' the characters, despite their flaws. The only unredeemable one was the cruel, unforgiving father. Sissy Spacek was amazing , and of course Ben Mendelssohn stole the show.

"We're not bad people, but we did a bad thing." A suspenseful tagline and a shocking understatement!" /END QUOTE 

So Season 2 starts with the picture perfect veneer gone and only the seediness remaining. It was gloomy, but still an accurate portrait of the Keys.

They're reeling from their actions and trying to cope. Meg flees. Kevin is the weak link, which is realistic under the circumstances. John radiates tension and never takes a breath. 

Didn't like John's treatment of Nolan. Your nephew, who lost his father, shows, up. Normal response is to be sympathetic and welcoming as you check it out. Even Diana was rude and she doesn't know the half of it!

Thrilled to see Danny back! Wasn't sure how they'd do the show without him. Adding insult to injury, he knows John left him to be killed. No wonder he was ready to burn it all down!

Glad Sally wants the whole story. Despite his actions, he was her son. Of course she would torture herself over whether she could have done differently. And now she doesn't trust her Golden Child who's been caught in a lie.

John says, "Danny was involved with bad people, Mom. It was never going to end well." This is a callback to the Season 1 tagline, "We're not bad people, but we did a bad thing." Well, turns out the real bad people were right there in the family. And it was bound to end poorly.

On 6/5/2016 at 8:35 PM, MsJamieDornan said:

I don't like her at all. She really isn't a good mother.

I agree, and I'm distracted by Spacek's pig nose. She looks like she belongs in Whoville now.  I turned off the episode when Sally, who was clueless in season 1, was suddenly looking suspiciously at golden boy John, for no apparent reason I could see.  

I liked season 1 but I felt punked at the end, when it wasn't some big family secret they consciously sacrificed Danny to keep hidden, which was implied at the outset.  Should I bother with season 2?  

(edited)

Interesting that Dennis Lehane was brought in this year.  Off to binge watch!

Oh I didn't know that.  I like Lehane a lot.  

I just finished S1 and S2E1.  A friend of mine told me to watch this so I binged first season over the weekend and texted her "if this show gives me a heart attack it's your fault".  

I felt sorry for Danny but then it became clear he was just going to fuck with everyone to get even.  Question - why didn't he just tell that cop the truth? Where was he when John & Kevin & Meg were being interviewed? You'd think the guy would have asked Danny "how did you get hurt?" 

I agree, and I'm distracted by Spacek's pig nose. She looks like she belongs in Whoville now

What is going on with her nose? I was wondering the same thing.  I don't recall it being turned up that much when she was younger. You can see right up her nostrils. 

Edited by teddysmom
On 5/30/2016 at 6:34 PM, HoosierJen said:

Oh my gosh, I want to like these people because I feel sorry for their screwed up lives, but when you've murdered your brother and covered it up you need to freaking stop drinking and doing drugs! You need to stay stone cold sober. No exceptions. I feel like in real life I would just slap every last one of them. 

They're driving me crazy and I'm tense just watching the first episode. 

And in closing.....I'm so happy this show is back and I worship Norbert Leo Butz!

I worship NLB as well, and I think that worship makes Kevin the most interesting character for me. But man, is he a hot mess.

I dislike Sally; why is she all of a sudden mad at John?  He did try to tell her what was going on, and she refused to listen, to the point of going to John and Diana's house to yell at them for not wanting Danny to stay there any more.  Now she's mad cuz he lied.  (You don't know the half of it, Sally.....)

I'm surprised at the surprise that John's running for sheriff.  The entire narration in S1 was him telling the family story to the committee that wanted him to run, so that they could decide if he was a worthy candidate.  I had thought his running was a done deal.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, MaryPatShelby said:

I'm surprised at the surprise that John's running for sheriff.  The entire narration in S1 was him telling the family story to the committee that wanted him to run, so that they could decide if he was a worthy candidate.  I had thought his running was a done deal.

I'm surprised that he's running because if you had that many skeletons in the family closet, why the heck would you want to do anything that put you in the public eye? Wouldn't you want to stay in the shadows as much as possible?

MaryPatShelby I Love your user name!!! You and I must be kindred TV spirits!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

I dislike Sally; why is she all of a sudden mad at John?  He did try to tell her what was going on, and she refused to listen, to the point of going to John and Diana's house to yell at them for not wanting Danny to stay there any more.  Now she's mad cuz he lied.  (You don't know the half of it, Sally.....)

Sally is a horrible person. Somehow she will make EVERYTHING that happened this season John's fault.

• Love 2

Super late to this show...surprised no one's mentioned the actor playing Nolan also plays young Danny in the flashbacks (maybe further down in the thread). He also seems to be channeling Ben Mendelsohn's brilliant performance. Big shoes to fill kid.

This went from a dark, twisty portrait of complicated family dynamics to a dark, twisty murder mystery. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I just preferred it the other way.

At this point I'm watching as much to see how it holds up after killing off the most dynamic, compelling character (y'all ain't Game of Thrones) as to see the plot unfold. Also Danny's wig/haircut ???. Como se dice, continuity? 

I'm late to this party, but isn't John running for sheriff because Wayne is blackmailing him? If John becomes sheriff, he can not prosecute Wayne and therefore Wayne will keep his mouth shut, yeah? I haven't read ahead; no idea of I'm right, but this is what seemed obvious to me. 

• Useful 1