Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E15: Bash

halgia

Rachel is faced with a decision that pits her education against her career. Sam and Mercedes consider rekindling their romance. Kurt comes face-to-face with a hate-crime.

Originally aired April 8, 2014.

There are many famous black women who were in long term relationships/marriages with white men---Halle Berry, Diana Ross, Iman, Alfre Woodard, Kerry Washington, and Paula Patton to name a few that come to mind.  Whoopie Goldberg has been married to three white men.  I don't see their careers being damaged by it.  That was just a strange premise for Mercedes to pick to dump Sam.

• Love 3

The thing is, they promoted this as a Very Special Episode, but there was nothing special about it.  It was about Rachel quitting NYADA and Sam and Mercedes deciding to date.  Why not just write an episode about that?  Shoehorning in 10 minutes about Kurt rushing in to help some stranger getting beaten in an alley was pointless--particularly when the scene with Burt made it clear that Kurt will experience no repercussions from the incident at all (kind of like Blaine cheating on him).

• Love 2

Maybe since they lost two episodes this season they had to cram more in and the storyline responsible for the title got somehow knocked down to the C plot? Nah, it's probably just typical bad Glee writing, no reason other than that necessary. There was something very off about this episode IMO. For one, I did NOT like the camera work and framing choices at all. Pay more attention to the script than "fancy" visuals.

I did like Blaine and Rachel together (shocker!). Mercedes having two solos seemed unnecessary--but at least it was Mercedes. Artie didn't get much love this episode song- or story-wise. I thought Kurt did pretty well with his solo, but for the love of God, CC, get some new dance moves for Kurt!!! (I read he came up with a lot of his moves for that performance--not surprised!)

I usually like Burt and Kurt together, but I was underwhelmed in their hospital room scene--not for the lack of (over?)trying on MO'M's part, though.

You know Rachel has her points too but they have to write her are bieng defensive and wrong so she can learn that big lesson YET again. 

I am not sure what choice she really had.  Her producer already said she couldn't have any more time off, Carmen said it had to be at night ( even though they screwed up having her at Kurt's thing).   So if she couldn't redo the song she was going to possibly flunk and be out of school or  skipped the muscial she could have jeopidized that too.   No way she could quit the muscial that would be more harmful then leavning school.  

And as usual Kurt is i nthe right and Rachel is in the  wrong.  Just once I wish Rachel could be right about something.    I think she was actualy better off before having freinds. She seemed to have more confidence and not let thing get to her as much.

SAMcedes   keep telling me you have chemsitry casue so far I do not see it.

(edited)

I'm still trying to figure out why Mercedes threw her perfectly good coat( that was not real fur) into the river.

If that is what Sam does to her, she needs to run. 

Speaking of Sam, he looked really out of place and a little uncomfortable to me in the first song/scene.  I don't think he got a verse of the song to sing.  Maybe he wasn't suppose to be familiar with the song or something, but I thought it seemed weird.

Edited by vb68
(edited)

Although I didn't love the first song, I loved that we got to hear a song with characters singing in harmony. And I'm really enjoying Chris Colfer singing in his lower register.

Why is Sam so dead set on being with Mercedes? That's not a knock on her either. I just don't understand why he keeps insisting that they're perfect for each other. While I don't think Mercedes should dump him just because her new friends don't like him, I like that she finally got to see him through someone else's eyes (meaning some non-New Directions eyes). I just wish they had stuck to criticizing his airheaded personality instead of his blonde hair and her future album sales.

When the backup singers on the carousel sang their first notes, I laughed. But then it went on and on and all I could think was that this was a huge missed opportunity to have an amazing routine on the carousel with the horses and the poles and the carousel turning, but it was just eh. Really disappointing.

Rachel's bad attitude is not surprising. Once again she thinks that because Kurt doesn't agree with her, he's "not on her side." I knew someone who had a similar attitude. It's exhausting to be around someone so narcissistic and self-righteous that expressing a differing opinion is interpreted as being against them.

Burt singing along during Kurt's performance was adorable. He's such a proud dad.

So wearing fur is bad (even faux fur), but littering is okay? Got it. I guess all the leather everyone wears is okay too, right?

Any normal college would be doing everything within their power to keep a student like Rachel opening a Broadway play enrolled so that the school could piggyback on her publicity. It wouldn't be that difficult to let her enroll as a part time student, give her credit for independent study, let her take a semester off, etc. And that's at a non-arts school. But at a school like NYADA, you'd think they would have policies in place specifically for situations like this to accommodate their students. You'd think they would be bending over backwards to keep her associated with their school so that all the press for the play would describe her as a NYADA student.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 3
Any normal college would be doing everything within their power to keep a student like Rachel opening a Broadway play enrolled so that the school could piggyback on her publicity. It wouldn't be that difficult to let her enroll as a part time student, give her credit for independent study, let her take a semester off, etc.

Agreed. I don't understand why they wouldn't allow their students to perform a placement year. Afterall, besides money, the objective of a school is to educate students so that they are ready when it is time to enter the professional world, so their student being granted the chance to gain experience as professionals shouldn't be a problem. 

Anyway, the timing was off, if there had been an issue for NYADA to have Rachel cast in FG, they should have raised it immediately, not a few weeks before the show start.

• Love 1

My other issue with Rachel's behavior is that they're about to go into tech rehearsals and she is still going through the script and crossing out lines she thinks Fanny Brice wouldn't say. Dude, you aren't the playwright. You aren't the director. STFU. If you had valid concerns about particular lines, you shouldn't have waited until now to cross them out of your script.

Oh, do you just mean they'll drop this storyline next week and never revisit it? I would assume so. It's Glee, after all.

Yeah, that's what I meant. It's totally Glee, but this time they tell us right up front we won't revisit anything having to do with Kurt getting beaten up--Kurt says something like, 'I hurt but only on the outside. This didn't mean anything to me personally.' Which, you know, whatever, I can fanwank it. It really didn't have anything to do with Kurt being gay--at least not the way it was presented in the ep. Kurt was walking down the street and happened upon a crime in progress and recklessly ran in to try to help.

Such head scratching story telling. At least Rachel quitting school and Samcedes hooking up moves the story somewhere. Kurt getting beaten up was for nothing.

(edited)

Wow. Another underwhelming episode. I can't even begin to describe my disdain.  I almost miss the LIma kids. (Well, I miss Blake Jenner and his shoulders, at least.)

UGH. Could they throw Samcedes at us any harder? Who throws a fur (even a fake) into the East River?  And they had one throwaway line when Sam dumps change in the river, but Mercedes can throw a damn coat in? And seriously, these two been reunited for ONE EPISODE; if there's that much drama already, that's doesn't bode well for a healthy relationship. And Mercedes reasoning for "breaking up" with Sam was spurious at best. (And what was with the unsubtle TIna diss? "We had blacks, gays, and Tina.")   Wasn't Sam just MAKING OUT WITH HER three episode ago?!?! UGH, this show.

I am not sure what choice she really had.

She could have done the assignment as requested? THAT is what Mme. Tibidoux is trying to teach her. Discipline, education, and humility will take you a long way in life (and presumably on Broadway),  Also, she could have listened to HER BOSS on the production, rather than trying to wheedle special treamtment out of him at every turn. (And the bit about her "changing the lines" to Funny Girl is completely out of line.)

Rachel is incredibly insufferable and entitled. I know that's supposed to be part of the charm of the character, and all credit to Lea Michelle for owning it, but can't Rachel ever learn anything? Ever?

The whole "Gay-Bashing" thing could jsut as well have been omitted, for all the attention and effort they focused on it. And what was up with the weird directing choice of just showing the eyes/part of the face when they got the call about Kurt being in the hospital? Very offputting, IMO.

I like Darren's little "No-one's going to hurt you" bit. Very endearing.  But it's been awhile now, I'm not really seeing the chemistry between CC and DC anymore. (I try to avoid the "Behind the Scenes" dish/fandom battles as much as possible, but the cracks are starting to show on the screen, I think.  I'm actually starting to enjoy the Blam scenes more. (I did chuckle at the "Star Wars fan-fiction" gags.)

And poor Artie continues to get the short-end of the stick, even in NY; I hope they're paying Kevin Mchale handsomely to endure this.

Edited by ShadowDenizen

Oy, where to begin? I'll try to cut it down to the essentials, but this was a mess of an episode. Imo they should have postponed the Samcedes stuff till another episode, and focused on Kurt and Rachel instead, and even Blaine (and that’s coming from me!). There were a lot of plotholes, omissions and not properly set-up and told storylines, which left a lot of questions.

Why would Rachel and Blaine risk ignoring Carmen’s assignment and sing a duet? Why would Carmen even give them another chance? And Carmen may be right about Rachel not having a foundation, but how can we know/judge that when they never showed anything that could lead to that conclusion to us? And of course the song he sings to his unconscious and beat up fiance is the perfect song for Blaine to use when trying to pass the exam he flunked earlier. Wow, that was one of the worst transitions and double use of a song ever on Glee, I think. And I cringed all the way through it: Kurt at least was still drugged during 'Not While Im Around', I wish I had been that lucky.

Imo it was Rachel not doing the assignment right that caused the conflict in schedules, as the show explicitly told us that NYADA had been very accommodating to Rachel, and so was her musical boss to give her time off for the Winter Qritique. What bothered me a lot was that Rachel expected even more special snowflake treatment from Carmen, even after Carmen had already given her a second chance again, and then when she didn't get it the entitled brat quit and stormed out (typical Rachel behavior). I hope that this time it’s leading to something, because, like Kurt, I’ve managed to put up with Rachel for all these years, but she is seriously pissing me off lately.

Why was especiallyKurt so upset over that first guy who was beaten up? Did he know him better? Did anyone know him? How would Kurt get to the conclusion that he was running into a specific gay bashing, and why would those guys immediately recognize Kurt as gay as well? And what did this traumatic event do to Kurt besides him finally knowing that he is the man his dad raised, but somehow he still needs to be scolded for being exactly that? (don’t even get me started on that one) Was that Kurt's important realization the episode description talked about? Will he even remember the bashing next week? Will anyone? This storyline should have had a much deeper impact and screentime than it got in the show: it was very badly handled. Apparently a brick to the head is C plot material, nothing more. A boring romance and another diva Rachel hissyfit are of course much more important. Mkay.

I understand Burt being upset, but to me Burt saying that Kurt was ‘only’ a kicker felt like he implied that it was fine for ‘real’ men/footballplayers like himself and Finn to stupidly jump into a fight, but he thought that for toothpick arms gay Kurt wasn’t. Sure: Kurt should have called 911 instead of running into that alley alone, he was stupid about that, and Burt was right to point that out, but Kurt was right about that sort of attitude making guys like those gaybashers think they can get away with it. And Burt had no right to talk after shoving and pinning Karfosky against the wall in the middle of a high school’s corridor the way he did: that wasn’t exactly the smartest or most cool-headed thing to do either ("Noone pushes the Hummels around"), but now his son realizes he is finally truly (a real) daddy's boy, and suddenly it's a bad thing? The way it was worded Burt's rant had a hint of effemiphobia, and considering the canon past imo this particular PSA should have come from anyone but Burt.

Why would Mercedes dating Sam even be a problem to begin with, besides that Sam is as stupid as a goldfish (with the lips to match)? And why would she throw a perfectly fine coat into the river while the used-to-get-clothes-from-Kurt homeless guy cheers her on? And perhaps the most important question of all in this storyline: why would Blaine reading Sam bedtime Star Wars fanfic stories be perfectly okay when Kurt singing in a band with Elliot last week wasn't? Loved Amber's original song though.

God, I want to care about these characters and what happens to them, but Glee is making it really hard to do. You’d think with having only 6 characters to focus on now they’d be able to tell a decent story for all of them, but I guess not.

• Love 1

Let's start with the fact that I am a firm believer in 'willing suspension of disbelief'.  In Glee's case, for instance, that means I don't really care when they shoehorn a song into a scene, or even get upset when it's particularly clunky or random.  I mean, that is what Glee's about - a show with songs in it.

However - I was so irritated by the absolutely manufactured drama that was the Rachel v. Carmen Tibideaux conflict that it took me completely out of the show.  I refuse to believe that any *performing arts* school would ever be so hell-bent on essentially penalizing a student for... PERFORMING IN THE ARTS.  WTF, show?  You know what COULD have been a good drama?  Tibideaux failing Rachel for the duet (also, another WTF?  Why would Rachel and Blaine think it was okay to alter the assignment) and then telling Rachel that she needed to take a break from school because her divided attention was hurting her schooling.  And by 'take a break' I mean the school says "hey, take the semester, focus on the show, then come back to us".  And then Rachel insisting she could do it all - and then failing all of her classes.  And boom!  You're in the same place, but it's not the stupidest reason ever for a conflict.  

Also - what was upwith Sam getting yelled at for throwing his change in the rivier, but that same lady doesn't say anything to Mercedes when she tosses in a COAT?  I mean really - why was that comment even in there?  It's like they started a plot point and forgot to finish it.  

Sticking with Samcedes:  Did anyone else find Sam eating that enormous bowl of cereal so immensely distracting that they barely remember what that scene was about?  And WHY, WHY did they show the milk dripping down his chin?  If that was a director choice  - "Chord, eat the cereal as sloppily as possible" - then what was the pay off? If it led into a story about Mercedes and Sam struggling to live together that could have been entertaining, and maybe played for humor.  But as it played out, the eating was just distracting.  AND, I swear no one earth would lunge in for a kiss after seeing that milk-covered chin.  Just no.  (If that was really Chord eating cereal, then I thank all the gods I will never see him eating cereal in person.  And hope it never happens on TV again.)

Apparently I'm still really irritated even after sleeping on it.  Ugh.  This show.

• Love 2

I'm confused.  If Rachel couldn't manage her schedule to do a solo for school, how did she manage to be there for Kurt's?

Because Glee hasn't bothered to make sense ever. She was there because they wanted Lea Michele in that scene. Looking deeper will only drive you crazy.

My other issue with Rachel's behavior is that they're about to go into tech rehearsals and she is still going through the script and crossing out lines she thinks Fanny Brice wouldn't say. Dude, you aren't the playwright. You aren't the director. STFU. If you had valid concerns about particular lines, you shouldn't have waited until now to cross them out of your script.

I thought that was put in to show how out of control Rachel's ego had become.  I mean, changing lines in such a well-known play, and by someone who supposedly revered the play and was born to play Fanny Brice, is semi-outrageous; so the effect I thought they were going for was that Rachel's head had become super-supersized.   I chuckled at the line. 

Sticking with Samcedes:  Did anyone else find Sam eating that enormous bowl of cereal so immensely distracting that they barely remember what that scene was about?  And WHY, WHY did they show the milk dripping down his chin?  If that was a director choice  - "Chord, eat the cereal as sloppily as possible" - then what was the pay off? If it led into a story about Mercedes and Sam struggling to live together that could have been entertaining, and maybe played for humor.  But as it played out, the eating was just distracting.  AND, I swear no one earth would lunge in for a kiss after seeing that milk-covered chin.  Just no.  (If that was really Chord eating cereal, then I thank all the gods I will never see him eating cereal in person.  And hope it never happens on TV again.)

Oh God yes, that was me too. All I thought was "Gross, and Mercedes actually kissed him!" eww.

(edited)

Another thing that bugged ....

Mercedes throws her perfectly fine and oh-so-warm coat into the river only to end up with Sam's while he left shivering.  As she walked to the carousel, still shivering herself, she throws second coat on the ground.  After the song, I believe she also left said coat on the ground as she walked away.  I can't swear to it since I didn't rewind in my haste to get through this episode as quickly as possible!  Give the albino his damn coat back next time!!

After last week, I had such high expectations.

Edited by barbarylane

Starting with Rachel having to learn of the very existence of NYADA from Emma, I cannot think of a single thing in Rachel's relationship with the school that was even possible except in some alternative universe where humans and academic institutions operate according to laws utterly different from those on Earth. It would be easier to find mathematical insight in the random doodles of a certified idiot than than find any basis for rational discussion in Rachel's NYADA SL.

The main, and perhaps only, purpose of a performing arts college is to help its students achieve professional success as quickly as possible, whether by hook or by crook. The successes beget reflected glory and prestige, which begets donations, which begets higher salaries to hire more famous faculty, which begets better students, which begets more successful careers, which... That is why, if Rachel had merely shown up for her critique (despite having dropped out as soon as FG rehearsals began and quit her job and Kurt's lame band and the one-hour-each-way Bushwick subway commute), a scenario much more likely than what was shown would have had Carmen call for security, not just to throw Rachel out of the building, but to escort her all the way back to the FG theater, all the while yelling at her about irresponsible, unprofessional behavior that, if not immediately corrected, would bring shame and disgrace to all involved, two gay doting dads included.

A performing artist requires career-long training; the greater the artist, the more demanding the roles and techniques, and the greater the need. In Manhattan, Rachel would have access to no end of world-class, independent vocal coaches and acting workshops; a NYADA degree would be as worthless to her as one from NYU would have been to a certain Lea Michele, even if FG failed. No one, especially not Carmen or Kurt, would ever have suggested any choosing was required.

I want Burt to be my dad. 

I understand Burt being upset, but to me Burt saying that Kurt was ‘only’ a kicker felt like he implied that it was fine for ‘real’ men/footballplayers like himself and Finn to stupidly jump into a fight, but he thought that for toothpick arms gay Kurt wasn’t

But aren't physical strength and fighting skills the most important thing if you're going to fight? I don't think it has nothing to do with being gay. Someone like Karofsky could have beaten those thugs; Kurt couldn't. He could  have died. I think that's all Burt was trying to say.

At the beginning I thought the guy from the picture was a real man who had been killed in NY. Now that I know he wasn't real, I think that beginning was a bad choice because they were so serious and intense and I was like "wtf is going on?". 

Not sure I like Sam/Mercedes. 

• Love 1
Another WTF?  Why would Rachel and Blaine think it was okay to alter the assignment?

Rachel and Blaine AND Kurt!  All 3 of them had the same assignment; you'd think one of them would have the common sense to check on that detail.  Maybe Mme. Tibideaux issued that stipulation telepathically, because none of the Bobbsey triplets seemed to have gotten the memo.

• Love 1

I don't expect this show to make sense anymore, but seriously. And....while I acknowledge that the writing of the Star Wars prequels isn't exactly brilliant, the writers of Glee throwing shade at anyone for bad writing is beyond hypocritical.

Most WTF moments....Mercedes throwing her coat in the river. Mercedes backup singers calling out Sam not because of the bazillion racist remarks he made or his total obsession with himself or the fact that he's too stupid to live, but because dating a white guy would supposedly be bad for Mercedes career......whut?

I didn't realize this was supposed to be A Very Special episode, so I was completely confused by the opening vigil scene.

I'm totally fine with Kurt and everyone else forgetting the gay bashing SL ever happened, because that is at least preferable to a return to a season long St. Gay of Lima storyline.

Worst of all, the music was soooooooo boring. I realize they often shoehorn songs that don't make sense to the plot......but did any if them actually listen to the lyrics of that song Mercedes sang to Sam?

The main, and perhaps only, purpose of a performing arts college is to help its students achieve professional success as quickly as possible, whether by hook or by crook.

Not true in my experience. The main goal and purpose of a performing arts school is to teach students their craft in a way that they will have healthy voices and bodies for the rest of their careers, without developing any longterm injuries or damaging their vocal chords (or violin arms or piano fingers). The goal after that is to deliver artists to the performing industry that are versatile and easy to work with, so their college gets a good repuation for giving a decent eduation with a reasonable success rate. They would therefore not risk their college getting a bad repuation because they let their students graduate too fast or allowed them to claim they had an education there when that education only lasted a mere year.

But I think we can conclude easily that NYADA isn't an ordinary performing arts school by any way.

But aren't physical strength and fighting skills the most important thing if you're going to fight? I don't think it has nothing to do with being gay. Someone like Karofsky could have beaten those thugs; Kurt couldn't. He could  have died. I think that's all Burt was trying to say.

If someone had hit Karofsky on the back of the head right away (what basically happened to Kurt) he would have been powerless as well. Or if they had a knife or gun. And imo bravery and a quick mind, even flexibility and being quick on your feet, can make up for a lot of muscles. Plus some people are just the "fight" and not the "flight" type, without contemplating on the spot in a split second if they have the right physique for it. Some women would also do the same. But like I said: nothing of that can win from a brick or any other weapon, and basically: running into an alley like that means you're putting yourself at risk.

I agree that Burt only said that Kurt was more fragile built than a non-kicker football player (although that was so season 1 Kurt, as he buffed up a lot since then), and nothing about him being gay, but it was the answer of Kurt that made me wonder why they had Burt made that comment in the first place. Kurt answered that "That's the same attitude that makes these guys think they can do whatever they want".

Now maybe I'm reading too much into this, but to me it seemed that this all was said to indicate that gay bashers picked out the more petite (even effeminate) gay guys to beat up, because that's easier for them. So if Kurt interpreted what Burt said that way (meaning it's his more slender physique that made Burt scold him and think he shouldn't have fought back, when it simultaneously also makes him a popular target for a gay bashing) then imo Burt must have meant it that way too (as these Glee writers can't write decent dialogue if their lives depended on it). And Burt didn't deny it. Therefore that whole exchange of lines just felt awkward to me.

I mean, changing lines in such a well-known play, and by someone who supposedly revered the play and was born to play Fanny Brice, is semi-outrageous; so the effect I thought they were going for was that Rachel's head had become super-supersized. I chuckled at the line.

What any viewer hoped/thought "they were going for" may have nothing to do with the writers' intentions. And while the movie version is fairly well-known among a tiny part of the baby boomer set, the stage musical isn't at all (and wouldn't be by Rachel), and is widely considered to be second-rate. The show will depend for its financial success on tourists and a younger generation excited about seeing one of their own, and neither group will know or give a damn about the original.

Musical v. movie: http://barbra-archives.com/live/60s/funny_girl_broadway_3.html

The real Fanny: http://www.musicals101.com/brice.htm

In her brief "chemistry" audition and its conceptual carryover to "You are Woman", Rachel's knowledge, creativity, and fearlessness resulted in a total reinvention of Fanny, in general, and of the psychosexual dynamic between Fanny and Nicky, in particular, to the ultimate delight of the director. If they allowed her to so dramatically change the characterization, I can't imagine their objecting to some minor script changes to maintain an overall consistency.

Rachel spent a day rehearsing "My Man", which was in the movie, but not in the original Broadway stage production. Edit a line? Hell, they added a whole f*ing song.

Sydney said they already had to completely re-stage the show.

At the last rehearsal, Sydney didn't bat an eye when Rachel suggested a line alteration. (Since when is he the director, anyway?)

In view of all this, at least some aspects of the production appear to be still open for some revision, and Rachel, who is "not a robot", is doing nothing more than any important cast member is expected to do, i.e., offer suggestions to improve the show. Not only is there not the slightest evidence that her proactive efforts are unwelcome. to the contrary, the generous treatment and respect Sydney has accorded her speaks to her stature in the company.

Edited by Higgs

During the here's what you missed on Glee recap at the beginning when they showed the old clip of Sam and Mercedes at the locker, I swear he looked about 10 years younger.  Chord is really aging.

Finally watched this episode. And...WTF?

1) Why'd the camera work get all wonky during the scenes of everyone finding out about Kurt getting beat up? Also, how come Rachel (or whoever) couldn't get info from the doctor because "We're not family," and then two seconds later, they came out to tell everyone the details about how Kurt was doing? I do appreciate that after the doctors finished working on Kurt, they brought in a hairstylist. Kurt's hair is one of my favorite things about this show, and I'd hate to see it out of place just because he got beat up. Also, I won't even get into how much I hated the heavy-handed lesson we all were supposed to learn. I can't even articulate how much I hate it, because I just get into a rage and my ability to use words fails me.

2) How come Mercedes' friends had an issue with Sam's race, and not that he was acting like an enormous jackass when they met him? Because, seriously, he was acting like an enormous jackass.

3) Speaking of Mercedes, my goodness I have missed Amber Riley's singing, so it's nice to have her back. Just get her the hell away from Sam.

4) I really want Funny Girl to fail. I don't care if that makes me seem like an asshole. Please tell me the writers are aware that they're making Rachel into someone we want to root against. Because if we're supposed be on Rachel's side, they are telling the wrong story.

5) I cannot tell you how much I love that a) Kurt is getting more songs, and b) Chris Colfer is singing in his lower register. CC is basically my favorite thing on this show, and I just love his voice so, so much.

6) Hands down, my favorite thing was Burt Hummel, mouthing the words while Kurt sang. In fact, that might be my favorite thing that has ever happened on this show, ever. Mike O'Malley is simply the greatest.

I thought NYC-Only had potential last week, but WTF was up with this week's episode?

As others have mentioned, it was really ineffective to open with the vigil for some guy we had never met before.  And the whole discussing of bashing in NYC did not feel natural at all and was just so clunky.  

Same with Mercedes' friends we had never seen before being shocked at inter-racial relationships as if they were living in 1980.  It felt like a really obvious and poorly done after-school special.  I thought Sam/Mercedes had chemistry a few years back, but they needed to build it back up because I didn't feel it.

The whole Rachel-on-Broadway was hard to believe in the first place, and it's a little late to try to show the effect on her schoolwork.  So Rachel didn't even know she was underachieving?  We never saw her stressed or overworking herself, so it came out of nowhere.  She seemed like a complete idiot quitting this school she worked so hard to get into, and acting like a self-entitled brat.  I can buy her being frustrated, but being dumb enough to quit?  

This episode was all seriousness and there was no humor.  The attempts were painful to watch.  Throwing fur coats and coins/screws off the pier is littering and not funny in the least.  Overall, the episode was poorly paced, poorly written and rather boring to boot.  I hope people don't tune out next week in droves because of it.

• Love 1

OMG, why the fuck would anyone, much less glorious Mercedes, want to date mentally challenged idiot Sam.   The writers make him into a drooling vain jackass.  As written he's both an object of pity and of horror.

I wasn't sure what Mercedes meant when she said that Sam had almost gotten together with Rachel.  If she meant the looks of attraction while they were putting together Sam's portfolio in the loft, it seems weird that Mercedes even knew anything about that.   I guess Rachel talked about it, but  it  was still strange to bring up.  

Edited by vb68

My favorite bit of the hospital scene was when the doctor was all....he has a hairline fracture, etc. he's alive.

If he wasn't would he have been all.....he has a hairline fracture, some scrapes and contusions, and also, he died 20 minutes ago.

• Love 4

There were so many plot holes iin this epsidoe.

No one knew is couldn't be a s duet?

Rachel has Monday off why did she not scheudl it then?  Was was she at Kurt solo too whne it was on a Thursday the day after then Monday dinner.   Why was Burt in NYon Tuesday but not invited to MOndya night dinner?

Obviously they needed Rachel to burn that bridge so NYDA was not longer an option.   Obviously they needed Kurt to be alone so he could get hurt.  For some reason they felt they needed to throw Rachel further under the bus.

Season 4 I waited and waited to figure out why Rachel was acting so blasé‎ about everything and we never got an asnwer.  I am going to guess we won't get answer behind her OTT  attuide either.  

Obviously the writers don't care if Rachel ever learns the lesson.  If she does they have no material for her.

Edited by tom87
Most WTF moments....Mercedes throwing her coat in the river. Mercedes backup singers calling out Sam not because of the bazillion racist remarks he made or his total obsession with himself or the fact that he's too stupid to live, but because dating a white guy would supposedly be bad for Mercedes career......whut?

You're using the word "Career" loosely, I assume?

IIRC, Just four episodes ago (before her now-recurring status role, she was selling CD"s out of the back of her car before somone supposedly "discovered" her.

Same with Mercedes' friends we had never seen before being shocked at inter-racial relationships as if they were living in 1980

Thank you!

A) We've never seen these "close friends" of Mercedes before, so their dissent carries NO weight in my mind. (That, and their comments are beyond stupid!)

B) Schue is rolling over in his grave! He spent THREE SEASONS trying to teach these people to have values and morals, and about the importantce of diversity. Now that they're in the "Real World" (HA), they just completely disregard the values that they've made their own? But ESPECIALLY Mercedes, who never really gave a shot what anyone thought of her in the past (which is part of what I liked about her.)

Edited by ShadowDenizen

In fairness, I think Carmen WAS pushing for "You're doing too much", and if Rachel had said "I know...can I take an incomplete this semester, take a term off, and come back once I'm no longer so busy", it would have played out differently. It was Rachel going full-on Diva "See how much you've made me put up with", and referencing Cassandra (who, honestly, has been about the most realistic teacher shown on this show yet) and her spiraliing out of control. I can see a professor at a performing arts school taking a hard line when there's a student who's behavior shows that she's being unprofessional-and that was where Rachel was. Based on that scene, NYADA doesn't want Rachel as a graduate or an "ex-student" (because there are a LOT of performing arts folks who are stated to have "attended Julliard" or wherever, but not actually have graduated, usually BECAUSE they got a big break), not because she can't sing, but because she's so unprofessional and unprepared for the real world. But not broadsided when this was the first time the audience had heard that Rachel was struggling. I can believe Rachel had blown off prior suggestions of concern-but I need to SEE them.

Honestly, this whole episode felt out of sync. If the guy had been killed had been the bass player for One Tree Hill or something and we'd seen him in band meetings and maybe he'd had a name and a line at some point, that would have put it in context. If we'd seen Cassandra, or Carmen, or even Kurt warn Rachel that she was doing too much and she needed to let something go to focus on the show, then Carmen wouldn't have come off as a malevolent dictator. If we'd seen any signs in the past that interracial dating was a problem (as opposed to "Girl, you can do so much better than this idiot!") as opposed to "never mentioned, but now it's a big deal".  Maybe all the foreshadowing stuff that would have led to a plot climax was on the cutting room floor to allow for more time in Lima.

Was that color blind song from Amber's album? I really liked it!

As usual Chris and Mike o'Malley are just leagues above everyone else acting wise. It was a stupid plot, but it made me tear up.

Similarly, I thought the fight between Kurt and Rachel was well acted.

Everything else, meh.

Oh! I did laugh at "I just want to watch the lesbian pot show and go to bed" or whatever the line was. Heh.

Honestly, this whole episode felt out of sync. If the guy had been killed had been the bass player for One Tree Hill or something and we'd seen him in band meetings and maybe he'd had a name and a line at some point, that would have put it in context.

The actor who played the bashed guy actually was an extra in one of Kurt's NYADA classes last season (in Guilty Pleasures), sitting right next to Kurt. So the connection was already there, rooted in the canon, but they didn't use it.

Of course they couldn't take a minute of screentime away from Samcedes so they could rekindle that NYADA connection again with e.g. a scene of Kurt saying goodbye to the guy after they finished a class together, right before he (the guy...Gus?) got attacked. Priorities after all. *sarcasm*

Similarly, I thought the fight between Kurt and Rachel was well acted.

Agreed. And it should be well-acted. I feel like they've had this fight (or similar) about a dozen times before, so they've had plenty of practice.

That actually reminds me of yet another thing that bothered me about this episode. I feel like Kurt only got beat up when he did so that Rachel would suddenly realize (yet again) that her friends are important/the fight didn't matter/Kurt has her best interests at heart, or whatever the hell lesson she was supposed to learn.

Yeah, because that's the most important thing to address after a beating like that: making sure the bff apologizes and feels better. Ugh, the way they set this upteenth Hummelberry conflict up in this particular storyline did neither Rachel nor Kurt a favor.

And it probably will be lather, rinse, repeat again in a week or 2 (only hopefully without it involving a brick).

The Kurt Rachel scenein the resturant  was not needed.  Why did there even have to be conflict between these two?    Kurt could have been alone for any reason.  And just your freind get beat up was enough for Rachel to tell him she loved him and even maybe apoligze or thank him for all he has done.

But it seems glee is bound and detemined to ruin all freindships but Blam.   Pezberry is basically toast and now Hummelberry they have to keep this theme Rachel is awful, Kurt is wonderful. Rachel needs Kurt to boost her up, Kurt  boost Rachel up and is still wonderful while Rahel is still shown not to apprecaite him until he is nearly killed.  

Blah, blah.   

Edited by tom87