Type keyword(s) to search

Rings Like A Bell: The Cast Topic

23 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

Was the first chapter 1000 pages long? And, did the second chapter start, "On the other hand ..."

I'd forgotten about that part!

1 hour ago, Holmbo said:

😄
He had only just started it in the movie, but it seemed he had a good plan for it.

He was almost as smart as our Chidi, but he was kind of a dick in the movie, so...

Jameela hinted that this season there would be a "cameo of all cameos" on Fallon. I just hope it's not someone from Parks and Rec. I'm not a fan of that show and by now, having Amy Poehler or Nick Offerman would not be surprising to me.

6 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

Jameela hinted that this season there would be a "cameo of all cameos" on Fallon. I just hope it's not someone from Parks and Rec. I'm not a fan of that show and by now, having Amy Poehler or Nick Offerman would not be surprising to me.

Prediction...Stone Cold Steve Austin.

• Love 5

Kristen Bell returning for 'Gossip Girl' update at HBO Max

The Good Place and Frozen favorite, following a months-long dealmaking process, has officially closed a deal to return for HBO Max's update on Gossip Girl. Bell will reprise her role as the narrator for the new take on the former CW drama from creators Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage.

"Kristen Bell has always been and will always be the voice of Gossip Girl," the producers said in a statement Thursday. 

The HBO Max take, written by former showrunner Josh Safran, was picked up straight to series with a 10-episode order. The update of the former Blake Lively vehicle is described as an extension of the original series that takes place eight years after the original "website" went dark. It follows a new generation of New York private school teens who are introduced to the social surveillance of Gossip Girl. The series will address how much social media — and the landscape of New York — has changed in the intervening years. Safran will pen the script and exec produce alongside Schwartz and Savage.

• Love 1

Manny Jacinto Engaged to Longtime Girlfriend Dianne Doan

In fact, it was none other than a Good Place (non-Jacksonville related) quote from his character, Jason, that helped solidify the decision. “I was toying when to pop the question for a long time,” Jacinto explained. “I looked at the Janet/Jason relationship, and there’s a sentence that Jason says to Chidi about relationships and it hit me pretty hard. I thought it was a sign that I needed to do it, and a week later I popped the question.”

Jacinto wound up taking Doan to a handful of locations that were significant to them as a couple. “I took her to places that really meant a lot to us,” he said. “Where I first met her, where I first saw her, where we had our first date, and where we had our first dance class. I had these canvas things written down with a message saying why the places were important to us. At every location I had her close her eyes, I’d hold up the canvas, and she would open her eyes. I took her through five different places, and at the last place I had our families waiting and I proposed.” 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Manny Jacinto Engaged to Longtime Girlfriend Dianne Doan

In fact, it was none other than a Good Place (non-Jacksonville related) quote from his character, Jason, that helped solidify the decision. “I was toying when to pop the question for a long time,” Jacinto explained. “I looked at the Janet/Jason relationship, and there’s a sentence that Jason says to Chidi about relationships and it hit me pretty hard. I thought it was a sign that I needed to do it, and a week later I popped the question.”

Jacinto wound up taking Doan to a handful of locations that were significant to them as a couple. “I took her to places that really meant a lot to us,” he said. “Where I first met her, where I first saw her, where we had our first date, and where we had our first dance class. I had these canvas things written down with a message saying why the places were important to us. At every location I had her close her eyes, I’d hold up the canvas, and she would open her eyes. I took her through five different places, and at the last place I had our families waiting and I proposed.” 

Damn you Manny Jacinto with your perfect cheekbones and your perfect proposal! 

• Love 3

So tonight I remembered that ages ago I had bought the DVD of Three Men and a Baby and Three Men and a Little Lady. Ted Danson (and Tom Selleck and Steve Gutenberg) are all so charming in it. I mean, it’s wonderfully dated, but it sure reminded me of my first-love for Tom Selleck, in particular. And Ted Danson is so great as the insecure, but with a heart of gold, womanizer-turned-devoted-daddy.

• Love 5

My two takeaways from that article are 1) I clearly have a very poor understanding of the show as I don't understand at all why it matters what Jameela Jamil's sexual orientation is and 2) I absolutely adore Jameela Jamil.

• Love 2

This article has more background: https://ew.com/tv/2020/02/05/jameela-jamil-tweet-statement-queer-hbo-max-voguing-show/

As a gay person myself, I always get uncomfortable when people say "only gay people should take gay roles," because we really don't know someone's sexuality unless they come out and tell us... and in this case, Jameela came out and told us, and now people are claiming she's lying just to quell the backlash (which is easily disproved as she's confirmed her sexuality when asked on Twitter before). I can't blame her for taking a Twitter break, and I hope her new show is a success.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
On 11/21/2019 at 3:43 PM, aradia22 said:

I'm curious about a Gossip Girl update because I distinctly remember the original show had plotlines that could have been solved by like... people having cell phones.

They all had cell phones. They were constantly getting Gossip Girl text alerts about who did what (DAN). They also took photos and videos on their phones which they then sent to Gossip Girl to publish.

16 hours ago, secnarf said:

My two takeaways from that article are 1) I clearly have a very poor understanding of the show as I don't understand at all why it matters what Jameela Jamil's sexual orientation is and 2) I absolutely adore Jameela Jamil.

Yes I can’t define the term ‘vogueing’ and I wouldn't have assumed ‘ballroom’ meant anything except ballroom dancing. My impression is that, whatever it is, it has long been a refuge and support for some people and that she is an outsider. The show is a perk they feel she hasn’t earned and she apparently auditioned against someone they felt was part of the group. As she says she may have been choosen so more people will watch it. 

i hope it works out for her if she wants it. As she apparently does. 

after googling a little I can see their point. 

Edited by Affogato

They all had cell phones. They were constantly getting Gossip Girl text alerts about who did what (DAN). They also took photos and videos on their phones which they then sent to Gossip Girl to publish.

Yeah, but the writers often wrote the plots where something would conveniently happen. Either characters would conveniently forget they could call each other or someone would be stranded without a signal or with a dead battery. With smart phones being so advanced and so ubiquitous, it's hard to imagine them getting away with that stuff now. Especially since Gossip Girl characters are affluent so they're not using shitty phones or carriers that might still excusably have problems. For example, I could see more plotlines about obsessive texting or social media than about lack of communication or one character being unaware of a widespread rumor these days. Though I suppose "ghosting" is a thing.

RE: Legendary

I can see why HBO Max wants to do a show about ballroom with the success of Drag Race and Pose and the popularization of these formerly not-mainstream parts of queer culture. I imagine that at HBO Max there will still be an element of polish and capitalist branding that will provoke the same criticisms as Drag Race. It was WILDLY irresponsible for Deadline to report Jameela as the emcee if she's just a judge. It's bad optics when you're co-opting a part of culture that people are going to be sensitive about to not hire people in a way that shows that you respect the culture. For all his faults, Drag Race works in large part because it's RuPaul's Drag Race. It's not Michelle Visage's Drag Race with RuPaul as a judge. There's a difference. Given the importance of the host/emcee in ballroom specifically, people would have been right to be upset if someone from outside of ballroom was just acting the part with no expertise. 

Whether or not she's queer doesn't matter. Even if they had hired Laverne Cox, unless she came up in the ballroom scene, it wouldn't make her a more authentic emcee. None of this is Jameela's fault and making her defend her authenticity by coming out is gross. Again, it doesn't matter. Her being queer doesn't change how she'll perform her job. Whether or not she understands ballroom culture will. Lest we forget the inane, insulting, and useless ramblings of Santino Rice on the early seasons of Drag Race.

• Love 1
On 2/5/2020 at 8:07 PM, Cranberry said:

https://pagesix.com/2020/02/05/jameela-jamil-comes-out-as-queer-after-backlash-over-role-on-voguing-competition-show/

It sucks that she felt forced to come out, and it sucks even more that people choose to believe she's lying about being queer.

I wish I was surprised. Sigh.

23 hours ago, aradia22 said:

RE: Legendary

I can see why HBO Max wants to do a show about ballroom with the success of Drag Race and Pose and the popularization of these formerly not-mainstream parts of queer culture. I imagine that at HBO Max there will still be an element of polish and capitalist branding that will provoke the same criticisms as Drag Race. It was WILDLY irresponsible for Deadline to report Jameela as the emcee if she's just a judge. It's bad optics when you're co-opting a part of culture that people are going to be sensitive about to not hire people in a way that shows that you respect the culture. For all his faults, Drag Race works in large part because it's RuPaul's Drag Race. It's not Michelle Visage's Drag Race with RuPaul as a judge. There's a difference. Given the importance of the host/emcee in ballroom specifically, people would have been right to be upset if someone from outside of ballroom was just acting the part with no expertise. 

Whether or not she's queer doesn't matter. Even if they had hired Laverne Cox, unless she came up in the ballroom scene, it wouldn't make her a more authentic emcee. None of this is Jameela's fault and making her defend her authenticity by coming out is gross. Again, it doesn't matter. Her being queer doesn't change how she'll perform her job. Whether or not she understands ballroom culture will. Lest we forget the inane, insulting, and useless ramblings of Santino Rice on the early seasons of Drag Race.

All of this is 100% accurate. 

I hate that she felt compelled to tell anyone anything she wasn't ready to disclose, and I hate it even more for her that people are then questioning whether her coming out is real.

No one made Jameela come out. It's not relevant to the casting controversy, which even she admitted in her tweet. So I don't think it's surprising that people would be suspicious and cynical about her coming out as queer in the incredibly non-specific way that she did. It feels like an attempt to distract from the conversation about whether taking a job as a judge of a vogueing show is consistent with her stated/much talked about values.

The show is a perk they feel she hasn’t earned and she apparently auditioned against someone they felt was part of the group.

Trace Lysette, who is a trans woman actress and who has actually been part of the ballroom scene.

IMHO, it's not so much about whether Jamil has earned the perk of being part of Legendary. It's that she was hired to be a judge, but she has no connection to ballroom culture or experience with it. She's not qualified in any way. So to me, although I personally don't consider entertainers taking whatever work they get booked for to be appropriative per se, I do think it is the type of thing Jamil would call other performers out for doing. 

But Legendary is also old news. Have people seen the going viral IG story collating the evidence that Jamil is a chronic... if not liar, at least a massive misrepresenter about her life? I was skeptical and I think some of what was presented as evidence is very easily explained away, but I did find the overall picture to be pretty odd. The most difficult to explain away things to me were seeing that Jamil has both tweeted that she was never a model and claimed to have suffered an eating disorder while modeling and how her food allergy explanation shifted (she's said she had a peanut allergy from birth in the past but when asked about how her peanut allergy had cleared up, she connected it to mercury poisoning that destroyed her stomach lining and said it healed as her stomach healed). 

7 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

Have people seen the going viral IG story collating the evidence that Jamil is a chronic... if not liar, at least a massive misrepresenter about her life? I was skeptical and I think some of what was presented as evidence is very easily explained away, but I did find the overall picture to be pretty odd. The most difficult to explain away things to me were seeing that Jamil has both tweeted that she was never a model and claimed to have suffered an eating disorder while modeling and how her food allergy explanation shifted (she's said she had a peanut allergy from birth in the past but when asked about how her peanut allergy had cleared up, she connected it to mercury poisoning that destroyed her stomach lining and said it healed as her stomach healed). 

You mean the video that jumped to the conclusion that she has Munchausen. I have not watched the video but I have read a summary of the claims and her response and was primarily left with the impression that the women who made the video was unhinged. I did see she has now changed her mind and decided Jameela has Somatic Symptom Disorder, which makes no sense, despite having no medical expertise or access to Jameela’s health records. I’ve only seen Jameela on things related to The Good Place but even I picked up on something the women was wrong about so I find the whole thing suspect. 

ETA: the more I read the more disturbed I am. I just saw the accuser demanded Jameela prove that she had cancer twice. 

Edited by Guest

Tracie Egan Morissey is a writer. She's ex-Jezebel and not a writer I particularly like, but she's not unhinged. It's celebrity commentary. Arguably nasty, but IMHO not substantively different from blind items and a lot of general unfavorable celebrity commentary.

You have to actually watch the video to understand how weird Jamil's claims end up seeming. I don't think the summary form can do it justice because you don't actually see how much evidence of Jamil's contradictions and misrepresentations there is. Like I said in my original, some of them are easily explained away but a lot of them aren't. 

Morissey also didn't demand Jamil prove the cancer. Jamil engaged with Morissey on social media about some of the specific claims, and Morissey responded with pointing out some of the other unaddressed areas. 

12 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

Tracie Egan Morissey is a writer. She's ex-Jezebel and not a writer I particularly like, but she's not unhinged. It's celebrity commentary. Arguably nasty, but IMHO not substantively different from blind items and a lot of general unfavorable celebrity commentary.

We’ll have to agree to disagree because labeling someone with Munchausen and Somatic Symptom Disorder because you think they are a liar comes of as unhinged and wildly irresponsible to me. 

12 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

You have to actually watch the video to understand how weird Jamil's claims end up seeming. I don't think the summary form can do it justice because you don't actually see how much evidence of Jamil's contradictions and misrepresentations there is. Like I said in my original, some of them are easily explained away but a lot of them aren't. 

Morissey also didn't demand Jamil prove the cancer. Jamil engaged with Morissey on social media about some of the specific claims, and Morissey responded with pointing out some of the other unaddressed areas. 

I used to follow Jameela on social media and have watched a lot of Good Place interviews with her so I was already familiar with the stories. Some of the points were interesting but that does not change the fact that much of the accuser’s evidence is suspect and the bias was blatant. Personally I despise that style of journalism. 

Your right that she didn’t demand proof but she did demand to know when and what type of cancer while adding a liar meme. That crosses multiple lines for me. If I find the source suspect everything they said is automatically cast into doubt for me. 

Edited by Guest